BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2009-04-07 6:12 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL

Welcome to Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees! We have co-mentored many seasons of newbies and veterans alike, and we would love to have you in our lively, supportive, very useful crew. Why "Manatees," you ask? Even though this is a mentor group, we are all "mentorees," but "manatees" just sounds more fun!

Beth

I'm Beth, aka Lastcall2003, aka Tinkerbeth

Lastcall2003 represents a turning point in my life--2003 is the year I woke up and realized that I needed to do something about being 30 lbs overweight with high blood pressure, having become completely inactive, and well, not liking who I was very much. It is a reminder to me to never let myself go back to being that person!

I have 3 kids (2 in college and 1 in middle school) and live in PA.  We moved here in September of last year.  I'm still learning the area, but am excited because there are a lot more race opportunities than where I lived previously.

I did my first triathlon in my mid-40s and have now completed 2 Olys and 4 Sprints, and my first half-marathon!  My first love is swimming, followed closely by biking, and let’s just say I’m learning to love to run. In fact, I am focusing on that right now, and am working toward a full marathon. I generally use the BT training plans during the race season. 

Yanti

I grew up in Indonesia, where I swam with the national team and my high school team. In the States, I coached and competed in martial arts, but became sedentary after an injury. Fast forward … a student suckered me into doing a charity marathon--before long I learned how to ride a bike and picked swimming back up! I also teach Spinning(R) classes. I’m single and live in Venice, California, where it’s great to have the ocean and bike and running trails at my doorstep.

I’ve been lucky enough to do marathons and triathlons around the world.

This year I myself feel like a newbie again as I am taking on a new distance—Ironman Kentucky in August ’09. While I will do a sprint and some Olympics and probably even a marathon, my entire training is focused on the IM goal.

I do BT or other well-researched plans and my own adjustments to periodize my training year (fancy word for training different ways during different times of year for maximum benefit). Most of my workouts have a purpose and fall into well-planned weeks: it helps maximize training time and prevent burnout and injury.  

I’ve lost nearly 100 lbs. since becoming active again (40 lbs. the last tri season). I am still an Athena (generally, a female athlete over 150 lbs.)

2009-04-07 7:14 PM
in reply to: #2069346

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - OPEN
Any room for someone trying to get back at it?  I need some motivation
2009-04-07 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2069496

User image

Melon Presser
ShawnC13 - 2009-04-07 8:14 PM Any room for someone trying to get back at it?  I need some motivation

We love you, Shawn! Once a Manatee, always a Manatee! All former Manatees are welcome, and we definitely need your expertise--especially in running!
2009-04-07 9:49 PM
in reply to: #2069496

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
ShawnC13 - 2009-04-07 8:14 PM Any room for someone trying to get back at it?  I need some motivation

Shawn!  It's so good to see you!

and.....what Yanti said
2009-04-07 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Thanks probably only doing 1 or 2 tri's this year but am doing the Conquer Cancer Ride in June they say it is over 250K which I think is just under a160 miles in 2 days so that will be interesting.  Still kinda dealing with a hamstring issue from my last tri in July it just won't go away.  might be that I have started to learn how to skate and play ice hockey which I am totally hooked on now.  Glad to see you 2 still at giving great advice and encouraging us all!!
2009-04-08 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
I am a bonafide newbie, not only to triathlons but also to the forum.   I would like to join your mentor group.    Am I supposed to be asking this already?   I couldn't tell by the mentor post whether I was supposed to request membership now or after you go "Live"?  

Let me know and I will post more of an intro.

Sharie

2009-04-08 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2070747

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-08 11:24 AM

Master
Victoria, BC
I'd love to join this group too, I've been eagerly awaiting the new mentoring groups - but as a special plus I can harass Shawn! How you doin' buddy!

About me - I'm returning to the triathlon world after taking 2008 off - I raced 2006 and 2007, but perhaps "race" is not the right word ... I generally amble my way along the course, I'm slow but I don't care because I'm having fun. I have a tendancy to stop and smell the flowers along the way. ;-)

But I need serious motivation and help to keep me training. Coming back is harder than I thought it would be.

I also need to lose some weight - I am loathe to admit about 15 pounds! EEK!
(I lost 50 pounds about 6-7 years ago, and up until now had no troubles keeping it off)

About me: I'm a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, a Yoga Teacher, and a Reiki Therapist. I own my own business, doing Nutritional Counselling and Meal Planning, and Reiki Therapy (I teach yoga at various studios around town) ... but I'm not very busy, this economic downturn has really affected me and I'm going broke very quickly. But I'd rather not talk about that right now.
I'm single, and I live with a big cranky dog and a very demanding cat.

I came back to "racing" this year for two reasons ... 1) I am raising $20,000 for charity so am using this is part of my fundraising initiative, and 2) a good friend of mine recently passed away, and he was training for his first triathlon so a bunch of us are racing this year in his honour.

I am registered for a Sprint on May 24 (Shawnigan Lake) and am really starting to freak out about it. I had more than enough time to get ready for it, but somehow 6 weeks (since I registered) have gone by like that (snap of fingers) and I feel I am nowhere near closer than I was before.

HELP ME! ;-)
2009-04-08 1:10 PM

Veteran
Thibodaux

Hi! my name is Cathy and I'd like to be in your group.

I just finished my second tri and my first HIM in New Orleans this past weekend. My first was a sprint in New Orleans in 2005. I had a blast and thought I'd continue competing in the New Orleans area. Then came Hurricane Katrina and there weren't any more tris in the area. I heard about NOLA 70.3 last summer and couldn't wait to start training again. Now I never want to stop!

I'm 49 years old, a mother of 4, step-mother of 3, and grandmother to the cutest 2 year old girl in the world. My husband is very supportive and an avid runner. I'm a retired ER/Critical Care R.N. and an empty nester.

After I had my last baby, 20 years ago, I discovered running and have been hooked ever since. I love tri because I can acheive and maintain a high level of fitness with less risk of injury than just running.

My goals for this season are to compete in 3 or 4 sprints or olys and improve my swimming and biking times. I also need to get better at running in the heat, which I hate, but it limits me in triathlon, because most races around here are when the weather is warm. My last goal is to get my husband involved in the sport, but I'm not sure you can help me with that!

I'm looking forward to being part of your group!

Cathy 

2009-04-08 1:12 PM

Champion
hello there!  may i join in?  [hi YANTI, skrtrn/stacie from the TRPs March challenge]

my name is stacie and this is my first tri season.  im scheduled to compete in my first mini tri on April 26 and im super silly excited! 

and i'm scheduled do my first full Sprint mid-May.

ive been currently using the Oly Trng plan that i downloaded from the site as the basis for my trng sessions and im throughly enjoying the balance of the tri disciplines.  ive come a long way, especially in the swim.

i started running three years ago.  athletics was not something that i was interested in/pursued when i was younger.  and i was at a point in my life where some things needed to change.  what a bigger change than to take up something athletic like running.

when started out, then ran my first 5K, the trng and competing started taking on a life of its own.  i love it so.  who knew i was an athlete at heart?

i was running exclusively up until October.  i developed a mortons neuroma (a tumor that develops to protect a pinch nerve in between my metarsals)  the doctor recommended tri trng when i was unable to run after my injury.  

i found i REALLY enjoyed cycling and swimming too.  i would never go back to running exclusively.

im a reluctant stay at home, but with three boys in school all day, it does afford me a lot of time/flexibility to train.  i have a dh who is VERY supportive, who would do just about anything i need/ask him to do and puts up w all my triathlon shenanigans.

i have masters degree in counseling, and hope to one day work at a wholistic wellness center or i was even toying w the idea of becoming certified in sports psychology.  [Spitfire, im a Reiki I practioner as well]

im looking forward to group that 'talks' alot, shares their experiences&ideas, encourages and supports one another, and oh yeah, TRI-s 'together'

hope theres room for one more.

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-04-08 1:20 PM
2009-04-08 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2070747

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
ranchrunner - 2009-04-08 10:52 AM I am a bonafide newbie, not only to triathlons but also to the forum.   I would like to join your mentor group.    Am I supposed to be asking this already?   I couldn't tell by the mentor post whether I was supposed to request membership now or after you go "Live"?  

Let me know and I will post more of an intro.

Sharie

Looks like we are officially LIVE!

Welcome Sharie!

2009-04-08 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2071096

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
SpiritFire - 2009-04-08 12:24 PM I'd love to join this group too, I've been eagerly awaiting the new mentoring groups - but as a special plus I can harass Shawn! How you doin' buddy! About me - I'm returning to the triathlon world after taking 2008 off - I raced 2006 and 2007, but perhaps "race" is not the right word ... I generally amble my way along the course, I'm slow but I don't care because I'm having fun. I have a tendancy to stop and smell the flowers along the way. ;-) But I need serious motivation and help to keep me training. Coming back is harder than I thought it would be. I also need to lose some weight - I am loathe to admit about 15 pounds! EEK! (I lost 50 pounds about 6-7 years ago, and up until now had no troubles keeping it off) About me: I'm a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, a Yoga Teacher, and a Reiki Therapist. I own my own business, doing Nutritional Counselling and Meal Planning, and Reiki Therapy (I teach yoga at various studios around town) ... but I'm not very busy, this economic downturn has really affected me and I'm going broke very quickly. But I'd rather not talk about that right now. I'm single, and I live with a big cranky dog and a very demanding cat. I came back to "racing" this year for two reasons ... 1) I am raising $20,000 for charity so am using this is part of my fundraising initiative, and 2) a good friend of mine recently passed away, and he was training for his first triathlon so a bunch of us are racing this year in his honour. I am registered for a Sprint on May 24 (Shawnigan Lake) and am really starting to freak out about it. I had more than enough time to get ready for it, but somehow 6 weeks (since I registered) have gone by like that (snap of fingers) and I feel I am nowhere near closer than I was before. HELP ME! ;-)

Welcome!

Thank you for the wonderful intro!  Only one thing missing....what shall we call you?
2009-04-08 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2071423

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
skrtrnr - 2009-04-08 2:12 PM hello there!  may i join in?  [hi YANTI, skrtrn/stacie from the TRPs March challenge]

my name is stacie and this is my first tri season.  im scheduled to compete in my first mini tri on April 26 and im super silly excited! 

ive been currently using the Oly Trng plan that i downloaded from the site as the basis for my trng sessions and im throughly enjoying the balance of the tri disciplines.  ive come a long way, especially in the swim.

i started running three years ago.  athletics was not something that i was interested in/pursued when i was younger.  but when i started running, then ran my first 5K, and well, the trng and competing took on a life of its own.  who knew i was an athlete at heart?

i was running exclusively up until October.  i developed a mortons neuroma (a tumor that develops to protect a pinch nerve in between my metarsals)  the doctor recommended tri trng when i was unable to run after my injury.  

i found i REALLY enjoyed cycling and swimming too.  i would never go back to running exclusively.

im a reluctant stay at home, but with three boys in school all day, it does afford me a lot of time/flexibility to train.  i have a dh who is VERY supportive, who would do just about anything i need/ask him to do and puts up w all my triathlon shenanigans.

im looking forward to group that 'talks' alot, shares their experiences&ideas, encourages and supports one another.

Welcome Stacie!
2009-04-08 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2071434

Champion
lastcall2003 - 2009-04-08 1:15 PM
skrtrnr - 2009-04-08 2:12 PM hello there!  may i join in?  [hi YANTI, skrtrn/stacie from the TRPs March challenge]

i started running three years ago.  athletics was not something that i was interested in/pursued when i was younger.  but when i started running, then ran my first 5K, and well, the trng and competing took on a life of its own.  who knew i was an athlete at heart?

im looking forward to group that 'talks' alot, shares their experiences&ideas, encourages and supports one another.

Welcome Stacie!

TINKER BETH AND YANTI I WAS SOOOOOOOO EXCITED TO SEE YOUR WERE MENTORING A GROUP.  i said to myself, i NEED to be in THEIR group. 

super silly excited!
2009-04-08 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2071432

Master
Victoria, BC
lastcall2003 - 2009-04-08 11:14 AM

SpiritFire - 2009-04-08 12:24 PM I'd love to join this group too, I've been eagerly awaiting the new mentoring groups - but as a special plus I can harass Shawn! How you doin' buddy! About me - I'm returning to the triathlon world after taking 2008 off - I raced 2006 and 2007, but perhaps "race" is not the right word ... I generally amble my way along the course, I'm slow but I don't care because I'm having fun. I have a tendancy to stop and smell the flowers along the way. ;-) But I need serious motivation and help to keep me training. Coming back is harder than I thought it would be. I also need to lose some weight - I am loathe to admit about 15 pounds! EEK! (I lost 50 pounds about 6-7 years ago, and up until now had no troubles keeping it off) About me: I'm a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, a Yoga Teacher, and a Reiki Therapist. I own my own business, doing Nutritional Counselling and Meal Planning, and Reiki Therapy (I teach yoga at various studios around town) ... but I'm not very busy, this economic downturn has really affected me and I'm going broke very quickly. But I'd rather not talk about that right now. I'm single, and I live with a big cranky dog and a very demanding cat. I came back to "racing" this year for two reasons ... 1) I am raising $20,000 for charity so am using this is part of my fundraising initiative, and 2) a good friend of mine recently passed away, and he was training for his first triathlon so a bunch of us are racing this year in his honour. I am registered for a Sprint on May 24 (Shawnigan Lake) and am really starting to freak out about it. I had more than enough time to get ready for it, but somehow 6 weeks (since I registered) have gone by like that (snap of fingers) and I feel I am nowhere near closer than I was before. HELP ME! ;-)

Welcome!

Thank you for the wonderful intro!  Only one thing missing....what shall we call you?

Hhaha ... funny I always forget that part!
My real-life name is Trina-Rae ... or TR for short. ;-)
2009-04-08 1:39 PM

Veteran
El Dorado Hills, CA
Hi Can I join???  I'm a total newby.  Got sucked into the whole tri thing by a friend at work and need some serious support.

Carole---will post more ....I'm at work...shssshh

2009-04-08 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2071482

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
SpiritFire - 2009-04-08 2:37 PM
lastcall2003 - 2009-04-08 11:14 AM

Welcome!

Hhaha ... funny I always forget that part! My real-life name is Trina-Rae ... or TR for short. ;-)

Welcome TR!
2009-04-08 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2071486

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
happybunny - 2009-04-08 2:39 PM Hi Can I join???  I'm a total newby.  Got sucked into the whole tri thing by a friend at work and need some serious support.

Carole---will post more ....I'm at work...shssshh

Welcome aboard Carole!
2009-04-08 1:57 PM

Veteran
El Dorado Hills, CA
THANKS!!!!!

So...I have never done anything like this before.  I have two friends doing tris ...and the one here at work basically put a bug in my ear about them.  I'm a 39 year old chunky girl who would like to leave some of the chunky somewhere else...lol 

I have been doing the couch to 5k training plan since I don't run unless something is chasing me....I also need to get a bike but have been riding an upright stationary bike in the gym. 

I am planning on competing in the Luna Bar Tri here in CA in August.

I'm a registered nurse by trade.....so I know all the nutrition and diet stuff....just can't seem to manage to apply it to myself...ugh Undecided

Carole

Edited by happybunny 2009-04-08 2:01 PM
2009-04-08 2:09 PM

Champion
ooooh SHAWN im doing a little ditty called the MS150 ESCAPE TO THE LAKE in June [im sure much like your Conquer Cancer ride....]  we'll be seeing an awful lot of saddle-time over the next few weeks now wont we?   

i visted Victoria, BC once, just beautiful.  made a lasting impression.

HAPPY CYCLING.

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-04-08 2:11 PM
2009-04-08 2:20 PM

Melon Presser
I am so very excited about this wonderful group! Thank you so much to all of you who have responded. It looks like we have a very "healing" group with many of you in those professions!

An especially warm welcome to Sharie and Carole, who are true newbies and new to the site. We are here for you!

TR and Stacie, it is great to see both of you again and it is awesome to have you on board.

Cathy, welcome, and congrats on finishing your first HIM! I heard it was hot!

2009-04-08 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2071596

Veteran
Thibodaux
TriAya - 2009-04-08 2:20 PM I am so very excited about this wonderful group! Thank you so much to all of you who have responded. It looks like we have a very "healing" group with many of you in those professions!

An especially warm welcome to Sharie and Carole, who are true newbies and new to the site. We are here for you!

TR and Stacie, it is great to see both of you again and it is awesome to have you on board.

Cathy, welcome, and congrats on finishing your first HIM! I heard it was hot!

Yeah it was! That's why it took me 7:45 to finish. It was hard to make myself run cuz it was warmer than how I trained, even though I live only 40 miles from N.O. Btw, Yanti, thanks for the warm welcome. And hello everybody! Good to meet you!
2009-04-08 2:38 PM

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Hi, Manatees! I just wanted to drop by to say I won't be with the group this time around (stupid real life gobbling up all my time). To the newbies: You guys are getting the VERY BEST mentors in Beth and Yanti. They're smart and dedicated and so loving and supportive. You're going to have a lot of fun here with them, and you're going to learn so much.

And to Beth and Yanti: Major hugs and kisses! I'll be stalking your logs, of course, so this is hardly goodbye. *g*
2009-04-08 3:02 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-08 3:46 PM

Melon Presser
Of course we would love to have you, Bill! We need your cycling expertise and Beth in particular is excellent at prodding, uh, pushing people into the pool Welcome!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  

of 59