Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-03-23 6:15 PM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
Michael and Scout, good luck at your races this weekend.

2010-03-23 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2738635

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
sstucker - 2010-03-21 3:46 PM Hello, I was lucky enough to get a third run done this week. It's cool (39) but no rain, it did snow earlier but nothing significant. I did a 5 miler (3 mile tempo).  

39?  I was calling of runs when it was under 50.  Florida has thinned my blood. 
2010-03-23 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2741953

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
scout21 - 2010-03-23 7:14 AM
Experior - 2010-03-23 6:05 AM
Scout, your 5k is this weekend, right?  I've got a race on Saturday.  Anybody else?

Right.  This is the first year for this race.  A friend from the Runners world forums just went through cancer treatment - and thank god she is cancer free now.  She wanted to do something to help the hospital, so she put together this race to raise money.  This is the first year, and in talking to Paulette, the course is supposed to be very flat.  That should mean a pr for me.  Pie in the sky goal is breaking 23.

PR attempt while running for a great cause.  Hard to beat that!

I did a long run today and darn near killed myself even though I kept the pace moderate.  Granted it was my longest run recently, but still I was a little surprised how much it affected me.  Every time I take a step both calves feel like they're going to cramp, and my hip flexor problem has returned.  I think I wasn't as recovered from my Sunday race rehearsal workout as I thought, and probably sleep deprivation and work stress didn't help.  Fortunately, I'm not trying to do anything special at the race this weekend -- I'll be training straight through it with no taper or anything.  So I'll focus on getting the miles in this week but with very little intensity in hopes of recovering.
2010-03-24 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Went to Portland this morning with my son; LEGO Store.  Dropped some bucks there!!!  Also went to REI and spend my dividend as well as a 20% discount on 1 item.  Bought a Zoot tri-suit as weel as some other misc. items.  Surprised how much better the tri-suit fit than separates tri top and tri shorts.  Our tri club is putting in an order, however, not too many people are buying so we may not reach our minimum so I went ahead a bought one now.

I am moving into the build phase on my Olympic plan that I am on.  Includes long hill climbs and speed intervals for cycling, Fartlek runs, interval runs, and threshold intervals in swimming.  On weekends the endurance workouts continue to increase and get longer and upwards.

I have a Run Lactate Interval workout this evening 18x30 sec intervals a VO2 max intensity (9 RPE) w/active recoveries (5-6 RPE) equal in duration.  I am going to the high school track so my son can ride around while I workout.  I think it will be easier at the track since it is a short workout and somewhat different than a tempo or long run.  About 38 minutes total including Warm-up and Cool Down (10 min. each)  Different kind of running workout than I am used to.  Should be interesting.
2010-03-24 7:48 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Brian, I also like to do those sorts of workout on the track.  Alas, there will be no trackwork for me this week.  I'm struggling with an injury and just trying to figure out how to get around it.  A bit disappointing with a race this weekend, but it'll work out somehow.  I hope.

Anyway, let us know how that speedwork felt.  And don't forget that it can seriously increase your chances of injury (which sometimes don't show up until 2-3 days later).  So take it easy tomorrow!

2010-03-24 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2746551

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Experior - 2010-03-24 8:48 PM

Brian, I also like to do those sorts of workout on the track.  Alas, there will be no trackwork for me this week.  I'm struggling with an injury and just trying to figure out how to get around it.  A bit disappointing with a race this weekend, but it'll work out somehow.  I hope.

Anyway, let us know how that speedwork felt.  And don't forget that it can seriously increase your chances of injury (which sometimes don't show up until 2-3 days later).  So take it easy tomorrow!

I hope your injuries are not too serious. Hope you all good before your first Tri.

2010-03-24 10:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Bad news. I developed some knee pain this week. Arrgh! I have had some problems with chondromalcia (sp?) in the past and it seams this is a flareup. Started with the ice and
anti-infammatories. Instead of my shorter runs I going to hit the bike. Longer runs the HS track.

Got to get through this. The 1/2 mary is only 2 weeks away. Trained too hard. I just have to keep this knee quiet until race day. Then I can cut back on my weekly miles and get better.

Any other suggestions?

Phil
2010-03-24 10:32 PM
in reply to: #2746551

User image

Expert
Salem
Experior - 2010-03-24 5:48 PM Brian, I also like to do those sorts of workout on the track.  Alas, there will be no trackwork for me this week.  I'm struggling with an injury and just trying to figure out how to get around it.  A bit disappointing with a race this weekend, but it'll work out somehow.  I hope.

Sorry to hear about the injury especially with an upcoming race.  Races are expensive enough and the thought of having to dropout probably hasn't crossed your mind.  I'll send you some positive vibes!!!!

Workout felt great this evening.  I told my wife at this time last year I was running at the high school track for some of Tri Newbie workouts and man I was sucking wind.  Wow what a difference a year makes. : )
2010-03-24 10:36 PM
in reply to: #2746813

User image

Expert
Salem
StlPhil - 2010-03-24 8:00 PM Bad news. I developed some knee pain this week. Arrgh! I have had some problems with chondromalcia (sp?) in the past and it seams this is a flareup. Started with the ice and
anti-infammatories. Instead of my shorter runs I going to hit the bike. Longer runs the HS track.

Got to get through this. The 1/2 mary is only 2 weeks away. Trained too hard. I just have to keep this knee quiet until race day. Then I can cut back on my weekly miles and get better.

Any other suggestions?

Phil

Phil.... have you thought about doing some elliptical work (no pounding).  I did this when my achilles was acting up.  Quite a workout.  I listened to a Podcast last year and of all the alternative workouts for running such as running in the pool, elliptical, and I forget the other; the ellipitcal was found to best maintain level of fitness over a two week period of time while healing from a run injury.
2010-03-25 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2746813

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
StlPhil - 2010-03-24 11:00 PM

Bad news. I developed some knee pain this week. Arrgh! I have had some problems with chondromalcia (sp?) in the past and it seams this is a flareup. Started with the ice and

Any other suggestions?

Phil

I had it, not fun. I had it before I started endurance training. It hurt the most when I jogged, but not during sprints. Killed me during volleyball, I had to stopped playing. My condition started one summer when I did lots of horseback riding. Was very painfull with my feet in the stirrups (I think that's what they're called) and had to take them out for most of the rides. So, I'm wondering if maybe the bike is what is irritating your knees. I have yet to do lots of biking and have yet to use any type of pedals that lock my feet in a certain position so I'm a little worried that's going to flare up my knees. My toes slightly point out and locking my feet to have my toes pointing straighter, messing up my natural alignment, may cause me some pain. Do you think this may be happening to you?

Sylvain
2010-03-25 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2747197

User image

Expert
Salem
sstucker - 2010-03-25 5:55 AM
StlPhil - 2010-03-24 11:00 PM Bad news. I developed some knee pain this week. Arrgh! I have had some problems with chondromalcia (sp?) in the past and it seams this is a flareup. Started with the ice and

Any other suggestions?

Phil
I had it, not fun. I had it before I started endurance training. It hurt the most when I jogged, but not during sprints. Killed me during volleyball, I had to stopped playing. My condition started one summer when I did lots of horseback riding. Was very painfull with my feet in the stirrups (I think that's what they're called) and had to take them out for most of the rides. So, I'm wondering if maybe the bike is what is irritating your knees. I have yet to do lots of biking and have yet to use any type of pedals that lock my feet in a certain position so I'm a little worried that's going to flare up my knees. My toes slightly point out and locking my feet to have my toes pointing straighter, messing up my natural alignment, may cause me some pain. Do you think this may be happening to you? Sylvain

Most clip-in pedal systems have a way for youto provide some float to yours cleats that attach to the pedals giving you some latitude and movement.  I have Look Clip-in Pedals and it allows me plenty of float for my shoes to move some.

2010-03-25 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2747566

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
TriGuyBri - 2010-03-25 10:40 AM

Most clip-in pedal systems have a way for youto provide some float to yours cleats that attach to the pedals giving you some latitude and movement.  I have Look Clip-in Pedals and it allows me plenty of float for my shoes to move some.

Good to know, thanks. I was a little worried that I would be locked in place.
2010-03-25 12:17 PM

User image

Regular

Heidi, Phil, and Michael,

I'm sending my good vibes, as well, for a speedy recovery.  I know it stinks, but time heals all wounds...

Speaking of injuries, my knees are feeling better every day.  After a recovery week last week, I've ramped up my volume this week and my body has been taking it well.  That, combined with the relatively warmer weather (50s) and outside training, has kept me on track to meet my goal of finishing my first tri in better than last for my age group.  The only challenge I have now is trying to find time to train when I take the kids to Disney Land for a week in April... :-)

Scout and Michael, good luck with your races this weekend!
- Mark

2010-03-25 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2746876

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
TriGuyBri - 2010-03-24 10:36 PM
StlPhil - 2010-03-24 8:00 PM Bad news. I developed some knee pain this week. Arrgh! I have had some problems with chondromalcia (sp?) in the past and it seams this is a flareup. Started with the ice and

Any other suggestions?

Phil

Phil.... have you thought about doing some elliptical work (no pounding).  I did this when my achilles was acting up.  Quite a workout.  I listened to a Podcast last year and of all the alternative workouts for running such as running in the pool, elliptical, and I forget the other; the ellipitcal was found to best maintain level of fitness over a two week period of time while healing from a run injury.

Brian,

I thought about the eliptical. I might try it. Tonight I hit the treadmill for a 7 mile run. AAARRgghh! However, my knee felt ok afterwards. I think I'm just going to have to hit the treadmill and the cushiony(ie)... (is that a word?) High School track until race day.

Although it was a slow run, I think the treadmill helped me with pace. I think that is what has caused this. The combination of spending too much time running in Z3 along with running out doors for the first time all winter. The 3.7 mile loop I run has a LOT of ups and downs. Rolling hlls would be an understatement.

Phil

Edited by StlPhil 2010-03-25 7:14 PM
2010-03-26 5:05 AM
in reply to: #2748038

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2010-03-25 12:41 PM
TriGuyBri - 2010-03-25 10:40 AM Most clip-in pedal systems have a way for youto provide some float to yours cleats that attach to the pedals giving you some latitude and movement.  I have Look Clip-in Pedals and it allows me plenty of float for my shoes to move some.

Good to know, thanks. I was a little worried that I would be locked in place.

Yes, definitely follow Brian's suggestion and get pedals with float.  You can also adjust the cleats on the shoes to allow your toes to point more out or in as you need.
2010-03-26 5:07 AM
in reply to: #2748163

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
OneFastMule - 2010-03-25 1:17 PM

Heidi, Phil, and Michael,

I'm sending my good vibes, as well, for a speedy recovery.  I know it stinks, but time heals all wounds...

Speaking of injuries, my knees are feeling better every day.  After a recovery week last week, I've ramped up my volume this week and my body has been taking it well.  That, combined with the relatively warmer weather (50s) and outside training, has kept me on track to meet my goal of finishing my first tri in better than last for my age group.  The only challenge I have now is trying to find time to train when I take the kids to Disney Land for a week in April... :-)

Scout and Michael, good luck with your races this weekend!
- Mark

Thanks!  And that's great to hear that you are on the mend.

My leg is OK, not great.  Right now it looks like I'll be able to get the distance in this week, just without any appreciable intensity (except -- I hope! -- during the race).

2010-03-26 5:11 AM
in reply to: #2749375

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-03-25 8:12 PM
TriGuyBri - 2010-03-24 10:36 PM

Any other suggestions?

Phil

Brian,

I thought about the eliptical. I might try it. Tonight I hit the treadmill for a 7 mile run. AAARRgghh! However, my knee felt ok afterwards. I think I'm just going to have to hit the treadmill and the cushiony(ie)... (is that a word?) High School track until race day.

Although it was a slow run, I think the treadmill helped me with pace. I think that is what has caused this. The combination of spending too much time running in Z3 along with running out doors for the first time all winter. The 3.7 mile loop I run has a LOT of ups and downs. Rolling hlls would be an understatement.

Phil

Yes, moving outside, especially to hills, is biomechanically different and so could reveal or introduce problems that the treadmill did not.  You might try making that transition (after the race -- right now your priority is to get to the race feeling good!) in small doses and see whether it helps.  Good news is that you'll be tapering for the 1/2 marathon soon anyway...

Last year when I did my achilles I bought an old Nordic track machine for about $10 from a charity shop.  It's a great workout, and approximates the running motion with zero pounding . After knee surgery the first kind of running I did was pool running.  That's pretty good too, though it takes a few sessions (or did for me) to figure it out.
2010-03-26 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Michael,

Thanks for the input. I've known it's the hills that are aggravating knee, but the park I run in is so beautiful. Really helps pass the time. The knee is feeling much better to day. The test will be tomorrow with a 12 mile run scheduled. I will be doing it on an outdoor track only 48 laps. Certainly better than the 216 laps on the indoor track. :0 I’ll let everyone know how it goes. I guess I'll be spending the evening loading up the mp3 player.

Phil

2010-03-26 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2750369

User image

Expert
Salem
StlPhil - 2010-03-26 7:21 AM Michael,

Thanks for the input. I've known it's the hills that are aggravating knee, but the park I run in is so beautiful. Really helps pass the time. The knee is feeling much better to day. The test will be tomorrow with a 12 mile run scheduled. I will be doing it on an outdoor track only 48 laps. Certainly better than the 216 laps on the indoor track. :0 I’ll let everyone know how it goes. I guess I'll be spending the evening loading up the mp3 player.

Phil

Round and round you go; 48 laps !!!!  Do you have some kind of a counter.  I have trouble remembering my laps in the pool; thank goodness for the lane bouys that I use to count of my laps.  

On another note....I found it kind of a nice change of pace to run on the track the other evening.  Easier way to track your pace by quarter miles.
2010-03-26 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

Just got back from the gym and my swim workout.  Quite a different setting mid morning and mid day.  You have to be real patient; a lot of nice older folks at this time of the day.  Enjoy their attitude!!!

2010-03-26 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Was suppose to do a 2 hr. long bike ride tomorrow, however, my son and I are headed out for a day at Bullwinkle's.  Amusement Center near Portland.  Should be a fun time!  I will take my day off tomorrow and move my Sat. and Sun workouts for this week up a day which will take me into Monday which usually is my day off.  Next week is a recovery week so it should work out alright. 

Did a FARTLEK workout this evening and was curious as to where the word comes from.  Happens to be a swedish word meaning "speed play".  Who knew?

I'll post my goal progress on my Dashboard.  I won't be making my outside bike goal, but have my running already covered.

Have a great weekend everyone.

2010-03-27 6:09 AM
in reply to: #2751167

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2010-03-26 2:48 PM

Just got back from the gym and my swim workout.  Quite a different setting mid morning and mid day.  You have to be real patient; a lot of nice older folks at this time of the day.  Enjoy their attitude!!!

x2.  I swim at all sorts of weird times mid-day, just depending on when I can get away.  (Fortunately, I can get from work to pool in just a few minutes, so often I just carry my stuff with me to work and when I see an opportunity, I go.)  9-10am seems to be the magic time when the serious morning swimmers are gone, but before the serious lunchtime swimmers arrive.  That's the time when I'm the fastest person in the pool!  OK, OK, I'm also the only person who is swimming rather than walking or floating, but a guy can dream, right?  Anyway, like you, Brian, I enjoy talking to them.  Between sets I was talking to this older guy that I've nodded to before in the past.  I was still breathing pretty hard and he said "you ought to slow down; it makes talking easier".  He was joking, but I enjoyed that comment.

Have a great weekend everyone.
2010-03-27 7:16 AM

User image

Expert
Mike and Scout- Good luck in your races today! Here's to nice weather,  new PR's, and being healthy!

I go back to the Dr this monday.  It's been very difficult to stay off my foot completely, with a job that requires a lot of driving and walking, and 2 little kids at home. My husband has been great, taking on a bunch of extra stuff that I usually do. But, I'm just not good at sitting around all day and night.

Sylvain-how's the bike shopping going?
2010-03-27 12:03 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
OK, everyone, bear with me for a second while I brag:

FIRST IN MY AG!

As you were...
2010-03-27 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2752319

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Experior - 2010-03-27 1:03 PM

OK, everyone, bear with me for a second while I brag:

FIRST IN MY AG!

As you were...

Excelent! good for you. All that training paid off. I guess your injuries didn't slow you down, are you going to pay for it tomorrow?

Heidi, bike shopping is going slow. Not finding anything within budget and to make mathers worse my dog just injured is back leg. We took him in yesterday and found he lost 10 lbs which would not be normal, he's 8 yrs old and was a 90lb lab. So they did blood test and found some abnormalities, so we had to bring in urine sample this morning and now waiting on results. Pending test results he's scheduled for leg surgery next week. Either way it's going to be very expensive. Maybe I can use my 5 year old's princess bike.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46