BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2010-09-08 5:06 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
Meggan - Sorry to hear about your hand.  Hopefully it will heal quickly.

So I was sidelined the last two days after being "attacked" on my local trail while doing my long run on Sunday.  So you are thinking what attacked me?  Well not really sure but it was some type of insect -haha.  I saw it and I swatted at it and I could swear it wasn't any type of bee or wasp.  Looked more like a giant mosquito or deer fly.  Anyways this thing got me right in the back of knee.  I was fine for the rest of the run and during the day.  I had a show that night and after the show my leg/knee really swelled up.  It felt like my skin was going to burst it was so tight.  I took Benadryl and helped a bit but it finally started going down last night.  I was able to get my swim in this morning and I will try a run tonight.  Still wondering what the hell it was though that got me?

2010-09-09 7:44 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I ended up being asked to work some OT last night and didn't leave the office until 8pm (a 13hr work day, but the extra money on the paycheck will be nice).   Today was supposed to be my day off so I am just moving the workout from yesterday to today.  Tempo run and ab workout.

Man, Sandra, that is a lot of hills, how'd it go?

Sorry to hear about your knee Tim.  That is really weird and don't know anything that would do that.  Who knew Chicago was such a hot bed for killer bugs!   Hope it's doing better.

So any big plans for the weekend? 
2010-09-09 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3088705

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
It was a lot of hills!  I am feeling them today, but I think I did really well, the last one was killer but the 2km run back to the car was hard.  It was an entertaining run, with sun, torrential rain, thunder, lightning, rainbows and a most gorgeous sunset.  I was supposed to do my ab set last night, but by the time I got home, I was done, shower food and flaked on the couch.  I'll have to do it two nights in a row to make up my quota for the week:-)
2010-09-09 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3088983

User image

Expert
Sounds like an interesting run.  Did you see a double complete rainbow?Wink

corstan - 2010-09-09 9:24 AM It was a lot of hills!  I am feeling them today, but I think I did really well, the last one was killer but the 2km run back to the car was hard.  It was an entertaining run, with sun, torrential rain, thunder, lightning, rainbows and a most gorgeous sunset.  I was supposed to do my ab set last night, but by the time I got home, I was done, shower food and flaked on the couch.  I'll have to do it two nights in a row to make up my quota for the week:-)
2010-09-09 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
2010-09-09 5:04 PM

User image

Expert
So here is my Nutrition/Fluid plan for the race next week.  What do you guys think?  After doing alot more reseach after I bonked a few weeks ago in the heat I realized that I was not taking in enough calories.  I wa only taking in about 175-225/calories an hour and should be shooting for 350-400.  I have my last big brick workout this weekend with a 2000Y swim/2.5 hour bike/1.5 hour run.  I am going to really focus on trying this plan this weekend to see how I do.  I am also going  to really practice little stuff like taking a water bottle while on the bike and speeding up my T1 time.

Attachments
----------------
Nutrition Plan.pdf (19KB - 11 downloads)

2010-09-10 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Tim, wow!  I wouldn't be able to remember all that or eat that much.  I think that many GUs would make me sick.  I've never done those longer races so I really couldn't comment too much and it looks like you've put plenty of thought and research into it.  Test it out this weekend and let us know how it went.  Good luck with your long training day!
2010-09-10 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3090158

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
tmoran80 - 2010-09-09 3:04 PM So here is my Nutrition/Fluid plan for the race next week.  What do you guys think?  After doing alot more reseach after I bonked a few weeks ago in the heat I realized that I was not taking in enough calories.  I wa only taking in about 175-225/calories an hour and should be shooting for 350-400.  I have my last big brick workout this weekend with a 2000Y swim/2.5 hour bike/1.5 hour run.  I am going to really focus on trying this plan this weekend to see how I do.  I am also going  to really practice little stuff like taking a water bottle while on the bike and speeding up my T1 time.

Looks like a good plan, nutrition and hydration on the bike is key, I know that I blew out my calf in my early season Tri because I didn't hydrate enough on the bike(live and learn, won't do it again) .  You have covered all the basis and remember to take advantage of the aid stations along the way too, study the map, know where the stations are and determine what you might grab going by on each and work it into your overall plan.

Getting really excited for you!!
2010-09-10 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks Tim & Sandra - Yes I am trying to get most of my nutrition during the middle of the bike slowing down a bit about last 1/2 hour so I its not sloshing around in my stomach.  It looks confusing but all I have to remember to do it eat a Gu every 30 minutes and wash it down with water.  In between that I will be drinking Gatorade Endurance.  I figure the salt from pretzels will help with my sodium intake.  The Aero Aqua bottle makes such a big differnence since you really can't forget to drink with that straw about 4" from your face-lol  That was the next thin gon my list is to make not of where the aid stations are.  There are 5 on the bike and 8 on the run so I should be good.
2010-09-10 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3091533

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Hey Tim, I wish I could be of help, but I don't get the whole nutrition thing (good thing I'm only doing sprints!  :P )  But if it works this weekend, then hopefully it works well during the race!  
2010-09-11 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Anyone have an opinion on compressions socks?  A friend who does marathons mentioned them to me.  I see mixed opinions.

2010-09-11 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3092550

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2010-09-11 6:39 AM Anyone have an opinion on compressions socks?  A friend who does marathons mentioned them to me.  I see mixed opinions.

I love compression socks, been wearing them a while now, for both running and recovery. I find that my legs definately feel better during and after the run and can tell the difference between a run wearing compression and a run not wearing it.  The best rated brands are the Sugoi R&R socks and CEP(which can actually be prescribed by your doctor).  They aren't for everyone, but if you have a chance try a pair and decide for yourself.
2010-09-11 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3092550

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Mrschach - 2010-09-11 8:39 AM Anyone have an opinion on compressions socks?  A friend who does marathons mentioned them to me.  I see mixed opinions.

I have compression sleeves for my shin splints, and I swear by them.  I haven't had a shin issue since I started wearing them.  I wear them always after a run for a few hours, and sometimes even while I'm running.  Mine are Zoot, which I liked because they had 5 different sizes to choose from instead of 3 like most brands, so I could get a more exact size.  Not totally the same things as compression socks, but similar enough to put my two cents in! 

Promise to check in sometime this coming week!  We bought a new car this weekend, and we're volunteering for IMMoo tomorrow, so the craziness continues!  Life doesn't slow down to wait for you, does it!?  Haha.  Hope all is well!
2010-09-12 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
So I got my last long brick in yesterday.  I thought nutrition plan went well but I still lost almost 5 poundsFrown. Workout was 5.5 mile run/43 mile bike/5.5 mile run in 4 hours.  What I did was this:

- 10oz. Gatorade Endurance & Gu gel before run
- Ran 5.5 miles (probably should have carried some water but wanted to simulate swim with no water/gels)
- Drank a couple ounces H2O during transition.
- Biked 43 miles (2h20m) - drank the 32oz. water in aero drink and drank 40oz. of Gatorade.  Also ate 5 gels and 15 pretzel sticks.  This came to 1000 calories and almost 1400Mg sodium with gatorade and pretzels.
- Ran 2nd 5.5 miles - drank 17oz. water and 6 oz. Gatorade.  Also ate 1 Gu Gel.

Total consumed - 56oz. Gatorade Endurance, 49 oz. water, 7 Gu Gels, 20 Pretzel Sticks.

Had some cramping issues that started right into the bike for first hour.  I have large calfs and always seem to have issues with cramping especially from swim to bike. I wonder if the compression socks would help??  Also cramped or knotted up muscle right above knee on inside of leg (not even sure what muscle that is?) Had to do with tight hamstring I think.  Streched it out and was fine but I locked up pretty good on the trail for about 2 minutes.

I didn't feel like I consumed too much during workout.  I need to up the water intake (which was hard because I ran out 20 miles into bike).  There are 5 bike aid stations and 17 run aid stations so getting the fluids shouldn't be an issue.

Long story short....  I still need to up the fluids especially since Accuweather is calling for 88 and humid for race day.

2010-09-13 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3092582

User image

Expert
South Jersey
corstan - 2010-09-11 9:35 AM
Mrschach - 2010-09-11 6:39 AM Anyone have an opinion on compressions socks?  A friend who does marathons mentioned them to me.  I see mixed opinions.

I love compression socks, been wearing them a while now, for both running and recovery. I find that my legs definately feel better during and after the run and can tell the difference between a run wearing compression and a run not wearing it.  The best rated brands are the Sugoi R&R socks and CEP(which can actually be prescribed by your doctor).  They aren't for everyone, but if you have a chance try a pair and decide for yourself.

Thanks!  I tried to get to my local running store yesterday and it just did not happen!  I was going to order them yesterday online but I really want them for my next long run which is Thursday.  I might be able to get to the store before then!
2010-09-14 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
So how is everyone doing?  I had a busy weekend.  Nothing important or fun, but just a lot of little things that needed to be done.  Out and about a lot and so I ended up eating out too much, and did not eat healthy.  Didn't feel all that well come Sun and then ended up with some kind of stomach bug Sun night.  Missed work yesterday but I did take the time to cook some healthy meals for the rest of the week.  Missed two days of runs so I am going to start making up for them today. 

Great job on that long workout Tim.  Looks like it worked out pretty well for ya.  Any thoughts to eating some type of energy bar while on the bike, just to get something of substance?

2010-09-14 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3097942

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Hey everyone, sorry I've been MIA for the past little while.  Been a bit busy with work, had a super busy weekend, and now I'm just exhausted.  I have caught a bit of the end of seasons blues, as well.  I have a 10k race this weekend, too, and I may sign up for a second one in a month.  We'll see.  I need to get a second wind on this, so I think it might be a good idea.

Quick question.  A guy that is in my tri club is selling a set of rollers for $80.  Does anyone have experience with them?  They are cycleops, the PVC ones, so good name, but the cheap kind.  I am close to pulling the trigger.  Maybe that way, I can motivate myself to wake up early during the winter for some rides?   
2010-09-14 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3098069

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Pete, I totally hear ya on the end of season blues.  It has happened to me every year.  I think it is bound to happen to anyone with as hard as we train for races.  I would normally just completely fall off the wagon and not even train for months, but I am not going to let myself do that this year.  The key to me is finding a few small runs or bike rides to sign up for to keep me motivated.  I tell myself that if I can just keep working out 4x per week, then I can still keep my conditioning for next year (b/c I used to spend months trying to get back my conditioning I worked so hard to get).  Change things up a bit.  Go find and do a trail run.  Go for a run/bike without your watch.  Find a slower person to run/bike with just so you can tag along and chat with them. 

And I have never used rollers but I know bike racers that swear by them.  Well, they usually have both trainers and rollers but say the rollers are more interesting and really help you work on your bike balance and overall efficiency on the bike.  I say for $80, as long as they are in good condition, then it is a good deal (looked them up and they are ~$180 new in USD). 
2010-09-15 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3098302

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
So, I decided that a good way to get over the end of season blues that I've been having is to get those rollers.  I tend to respond well to new toys.  I picked them up last night, and tried them out.  WOW, what a work out!  I was sweating after about 5 minutes of fairly easy spinning.  I think most of that may be just fear of flying head over heels off of the thing!  I actually feel that it is a harder workout than biking on the road, because I was so worried about staying within the 16" that I have to play with.  I managed to not fall off, and only banged my wrist REALLY hard into the door frame once.  

It is a really different sensation than anything I've experienced, but I can see myself enjoying it.  My plan is to start waking up early to do about 30 minutes of riding in the mornings.  Hopefully it'll help with my biking for next year!  

Run planned for tonight.  I am going to do a long-ish run tonight, then a short run tomorrow before my 10k on Saturday.  Hopefully all goes according to plan. 
2010-09-15 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Assuming there are no child issues this evening, I will be running 14 at some point.  I am hoping for 8 outside and 6 inside.  Not ideal but I can't get my entire long run outside this week. 
2010-09-15 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
I really hate being sick.  I am feeling a lot better than I did yesterday, but I still have no voice and feel achy.  I can't tell if I am sore/achy from being sick or from P90X   I really need to start feeling better....have a great weekend planned!  I am heading to Chicago to see my favorite band play at Wrigley for two nights!!!  Nora and I are heading up friday morning and I am dropping her with the in-laws and I am staying at a girlfriends downtown for the rest of the weekend.  My voice better come back. 
On a different note I lost 1.4 this week!  My first loss in 2 weeks.  I am not attributing it to being sick, because I have still been eating.  I just need to watch myself this weekend.  The first night of the concert I am sitting on a rooftop with all you can eat and drink.  I am going to run though.  My friend is doing a couch to 5K program and is excited for me to run with her, so instead of p90 this weekend I will be running...excited to do that since I haven't run since starting p90!
Think that is it with me!  Hope you all are well!

2010-09-15 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
So you didn't tell us who your fav band is there Debbie!  Sorry you're sick and I'll send all my get better vibes so you'll feel fine by the weekend.  Sounds like a fun weekend planned.  You're not going to go see a cover band called Sorry for Partying are you??    And yes, I just threw Tim under the bus. 
2010-09-15 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3100524

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
chichitao - 2010-09-15 3:02 PM So you didn't tell us who your fav band is there Debbie!  Sorry you're sick and I'll send all my get better vibes so you'll feel fine by the weekend.  Sounds like a fun weekend planned.  You're not going to go see a cover band called Sorry for Partying are you??    And yes, I just threw Tim under the bus. 

Hahahaha, I was wondering the same thing...  If I were there, I'd definitely be asking for a VIP pass to one of their shows.  Back stage and everything.  

It must be a pretty huge band, to be throwing a 2 day concert at Wrigley!  
2010-09-15 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Ok, I cheated and looked it up b/c the suspense was killing me...Dave Matthews Band.
2010-09-15 3:50 PM
in reply to: #3100770

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
chichitao - 2010-09-15 4:49 PM Ok, I cheated and looked it up b/c the suspense was killing me...Dave Matthews Band.

GOOD BAND.  They are one of my favourite bands to listen to while I work.  Great chill out, but not too mellow music!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103