BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-02-10 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3348249

User image

Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL!
jgerbodegrant - 2011-02-10 1:55 AM
tri808 - 2011-02-09 4:41 PM

Ok...

New advice...move to hawaii...LOL

Do you live on the big island?  I'm supposed to go out there this year and will be trying to go watch or volunteer at Kona in October.

No...I live on Oahu.  I'm going to make it a point to volunteer at Kona one day as well...just not this year.

As for the flashpoints....yes, they are the new SRAMs.  But a lot I have read about the flash points are poor.  Basically, they are good for time trialing, but the response you get from road racing...where you may be throwing down high wattage surges are poor.

If the guy responds back to me, I'll jump on them.  I was the first to respond (and willing to pay his quoted shipping), but he prefers to sell locally, so it's up to him.

2011-02-10 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3348353

User image

chasingkona - 2011-02-10 3:11 AM

what specifically did you not like about them? My only complaint really is the slow slow pace they have you run long runs at. Other then that I think I am going to try it for my HM this April to dip my feet and see what I think, but I might move the pace of the long runs up to a bit of a quicker pace. 9:08 miles seems painfully slow to run when you have 8-12 miles of them.

I actually don't mind the slower pace it has you run at.  That's the one thing I do like about it.

What I don't like is the low mileage and the ambitious goal time it spits out.  I entered my first marathon time of 3:58, told it I was running 31-36 mpw, wanting to train hard for another marathon in 16 weeks.  The plan that spit out...was much much lighter than what I actually used for my second marathon. 

What SC suggested was doing easy runs in the 9:54 range, average 34 mpw, with a peak week of 46 miles...and only 3 total weeks above 40 mpw.  It also suggested my marathon goal time should now be 3:39 after doing this plan.

The plan I used..easy runs in the 9:50-10:00 range, average about 40-45 mpw, with a peak week of 52 miles...and 8 weeks above 40 mpw.  After that, I set my goal time at 3:50.  I feel I had the fitness to go 3:50, but weather did not cooperate.  There is no way in HE77 I could have run a 3:39 on my plan...let alone the lower mileage of SC.

The real gripe I have against SC, and a lot of other experienced marathoners in the "marathoner's forum" of runners world share is that it's a marketing tool for Runners World.  They want to make an easy and seemingly scientific plan for anyone to achieve awesome marathon results...and gee look...I only have to run 34 mpw to shave 20 minutes off my PR.  That's BS. 

Again...these plans could work for shorter races.  I'm not sure the math behind how they calculate these plans.  But IMO, the marathon plan generation is a joke.  There are WAY more factors in creating a plan than just entering in your previous time, your weekly mileage, and "how hard" you want to train.

2011-02-10 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3348396

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
jtrezza - 2011-02-10 9:27 AM

Looking forward to a great swim later--I never thought I would say that!

Where is the "like" button?
2011-02-10 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3348653

User image

Champion
Hey guys, been a bit absent lately, very sorry for that!

On the upside, it looks like everyone has been keeping very very busy and making some progress!

I had a bit of a run in with my crew team yesterday, i showed up for our practice and 3 of 18 kids were there.
Soooo, i dont normally do this, but today's practice is going to be a bit of a wake up call. We normally have an easy
day on tues and thur, but today they are doing a 30min test (about like doing a full hour FTP test/TT on a bike), its a NASTY
distance and shows a lot about how people hold themselves together on a longer hard piece.

On our front, since we seem to be getting more bike training questions, and we already had a full write up/talk about run training, it might be fun and helpful to get a talk started on bike training for your goal distances.

I'll get a more in depth write up done once we have some questions and goals for people if that sounds good?
2011-02-10 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3256274

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Sounds good to me.

I'm having a bit of a dilemma about my race wheels.  I have a couple offers on my pair of H3s.  My original plan was to sell the rear and keep the front to race with my powertap.  I haven't had any luck selling the rear, so do you think I should sell the pair and buy a different front?  Like an 404 or 808...or just keep both H3's???
2011-02-10 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3348845

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
newbz - 2011-02-10 10:44 AM On our front, since we seem to be getting more bike training questions, and we already had a full write up/talk about run training, it might be fun and helpful to get a talk started on bike training for your goal distances. I'll get a more in depth write up done once we have some questions and goals for people if that sounds good?

I'm not so worried about distance as I am about speed. Before I had to take some time off from the bike, I'd reached a point of being able to ride just shy of 60 miles at an average of about 18 mph. No idea what wattage was, I don't have a power meter yet. I finished with some energy to spare, and felt like I could have ridden another 10 or 15 miles (maybe more). My challenge is building speed. I feel like I can ride more distance without much of a problem, but increasing speed kicks my butt.

I've not yet figured out what's going on with either my mind or my body, or both. I think it'll be easier to reach my goals once I've figured out what's going on; then I'll know exactly what to address. I'm having a similar problem with my runs, but I have a better idea of what's going on there (anxiety over aggravating old injuries) and I have to address that slowly.

2011-02-10 5:31 PM

User image

Have you tried intervals on the bike?  I find that workouts similar to what's in JorgeM's winter cycling program are great for building up speed and power.

2011-02-10 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3349462

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
tri808 - 2011-02-10 4:31 PM Have you tried intervals on the bike?  I find that workouts similar to what's in JorgeM's winter cycling program are great for building up speed and power.

I've done some intervals, but not nearly enough. Right about the time I started integrating them into my rides, my ITBand started to hurt. I do intend to use interval workouts as I re-build my fitness.
2011-02-11 10:06 AM

Albany, NY
Been abit since I have written.  Things at work and home have been insanely busy.  So, I have signed up for the Tupper Lake Tinman HIM on June 26th.  It will be my first half.  I am really looking forward to it.  Also signed up for a sprint two weeks later.  I don't think it will be a problem, but both races bing close to one another is on my mind some.

Also purchased a Finis Swimsense this week.  Should arrive early next week.  For those who don't know, it keeps track of time, distance, stroke count per lap, etc...  My swimming is progressing nicely as I steadily improve both my times and increase my distance slowly, but I am hoping this will help me keep better track of my efficiency esp looking at longer swims as well as help me tweek my stroke and see what changes do or do not make me more efficient. At the very least, I can stop counting laps (and losing track..) which will be a huge help!

2011-02-11 1:57 PM

User image

Got in a run this morning around my neighborhood.  I normally don't like to run around where I live because it's constant hills...but I figured my running has come to a point where I can handle it, and would be a good way to mix things up.

Didn't push too hard, and averaged around 9:30 miles for 6 miles.
2011-02-11 9:55 PM
in reply to: #3350298

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
msrevi - 2011-02-11 11:06 AMBeen abit since I have written.  Things at work and home have been insanely busy.  So, I have signed up for the Tupper Lake Tinman HIM on June 26th.  It will be my first half.  I am really looking forward to it.  Also signed up for a sprint two weeks later.  I don't think it will be a problem, but both races bing close to one another is on my mind some.

Also purchased a Finis Swimsense this week.  Should arrive early next week.  For those who don't know, it keeps track of time, distance, stroke count per lap, etc...  My swimming is progressing nicely as I steadily improve both my times and increase my distance slowly, but I am hoping this will help me keep better track of my efficiency esp looking at longer swims as well as help me tweek my stroke and see what changes do or do not make me more efficient. At the very least, I can stop counting laps (and losing track..) which will be a huge help!

Definitely fill us in on how you like it!

2011-02-11 11:41 PM
in reply to: #3351465

User image

Champion
As far as the race wheels go, if you can more easily sell as a set that makes sense, but if not just keep trying, maybe lower the price a tiny bit (if you can from where you are now), and see what happens. Do you need to sell before getting the powertap, or just should at some point?

As far as increasing speed over the longer distances, assuming you are riding enough to get the distance in comfortably, there are a lot of ways to attack it depending on where you are in relation to the race.

If you live somewhere colder/trainer bound and have some time, I like to see athletes focus on FTP building/40k TT type speed.

Work in intervals from 5-20min @ FTP/60min race pace, and work on raising that pace. as the race gets closer also start to work in some tempo rides, where you are riding longer at goal pace.

If you have the higher power for 20min and 60min type levels, its fairly easy to extend that out with some distance work. Or in other words there is not a ton of drop off as you extend the distances out as long as you get some longer rides in with the faster stuff.

If speed is the limiter right now, and you are riding enough, you need to start riding harder.
Working intervals up and getting longer as you go.
Say start with 4x4min on 2-3 min rest, work up to 4x6min, then 3x10, 2x20 etc. keep rest pretty short, a few min or so

another day a week work on faster work, more even rest. like 5x5min on 4 min rest, etc.

if you can, a third day of med paced stuff, HIM pace or just faster, but longer, 20-40min at a time, or 2-3x30min once you get outside.

2011-02-12 12:43 AM

User image

Got in 3000 at the pool tonight.  I didn't push too hard, but felt like I could go all day.  Really liking the improvements in my swim.  Hoping to get video of myself on Monday to see the comparison of the video I had a few weeks ago.

2011-02-12 12:57 AM

User image

Ok...so I closed the deal today on those hed jets I was contemplating on...

So now I need some help with the basics of race wheels and have a ton of questions. 

1.  What kind of valve extenders do I need.  I looked around online and there seems to be different types.  Zipp extenders seem to work differently than others.  Some require you to remove the valve, and screw it back into the extender?  I didn't know the valve could be removed...

2.  Also, I haven't used my disc cover yet.  I noticed when I got it, there is an opening where the valve would go, but it seems like it would be hard to get a standard pump head (especially one with a flip lock) in that opening.  So is that where the "crack pipe" comes in?  I'm assuming this pipe goes over the valve, and you hook up your pump head (or co2 inflator) to the other end of the pipe.  Is there any other way to do this?

3.  Last question is what do you normally use to cover the opening.  My cover came with a couple of stickers.  I assume once I use these stickers, I'd have to find something else.  Do you guys just buy more stickers...cut up old bumper stickers or something?  Is there something more permanent you can get that sticks on there?  I assume if I got a flat, I would have to rip the sticker off, and I'm not sure I would be able to stick it back on.  In a race, do you just ride with the opening uncovered after you flat because it takes too long to cover it back up with another sticker?
2011-02-12 6:23 AM

User image

1.  I always buy tubular race tires with removable valve cores.  The extenders screw into the stem and the cores go into the extender.  My preference and you will have to choose yours.

2.  yes the crack pipe does that.  I have used my pump head with those covers before, the cover does give a bit so if it isn't a huge head it will work.

3.  Those stickers should last two or three or more removals and replaces.  I don't bother with covering it!  I find that the cover tends to move slightly over time and besides it's not that big a hole.
2011-02-12 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
PA
The deal for the felt is not happening so that has me looking at bikes and bumping my time line to buy one to spring from the fall.....guess I will need to see what my tax return and bonus are going to be .............

My 30 minute run today SUCKED....but I could be just tired as I have not really taken a recovery day for over a week.

2011-02-12 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3351542

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
tri808 - 2011-02-12 1:57 AM Ok...so I closed the deal today on those hed jets I was contemplating on...

So now I need some help with the basics of race wheels and have a ton of questions. 

1.  What kind of valve extenders do I need.  I looked around online and there seems to be different types.  Zipp extenders seem to work differently than others.  Some require you to remove the valve, and screw it back into the extender?  I didn't know the valve could be removed...

2.  Also, I haven't used my disc cover yet.  I noticed when I got it, there is an opening where the valve would go, but it seems like it would be hard to get a standard pump head (especially one with a flip lock) in that opening.  So is that where the "crack pipe" comes in?  I'm assuming this pipe goes over the valve, and you hook up your pump head (or co2 inflator) to the other end of the pipe.  Is there any other way to do this?

3.  Last question is what do you normally use to cover the opening.  My cover came with a couple of stickers.  I assume once I use these stickers, I'd have to find something else.  Do you guys just buy more stickers...cut up old bumper stickers or something?  Is there something more permanent you can get that sticks on there?  I assume if I got a flat, I would have to rip the sticker off, and I'm not sure I would be able to stick it back on.  In a race, do you just ride with the opening uncovered after you flat because it takes too long to cover it back up with another sticker?

Sweet dude.  That's awesome.  I just sold my race wheels yesterday....sad to see them go, but looking forward to getting a new front race wheel.  I think mike pretty much answered your questions.  Are you planning on running your PT during races???  If not, did you get another cover for your new HED setup? 
2011-02-12 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3346914

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

jtrezza - 2011-02-09 12:03 PM

chasingkona - 2011-02-09 10:17 AM Is anyone is in the northern climates expecting a heat wave to roll through starting Frday? We are getting projected temps in the 40's next week, I may just take my bike out for a spin if the snow melts of the roads!

I really appreciate this post--the weather is so depressing, I have stopped even checking the forecasts.  Projected high of 41o here--I have emailed my husband to claim dibs on Sunday.  I feel really motivated--Thanks!

OK--the weather is playing a sick, sick joke on me.  Just checked the forecast for tomorrow and, you guessed it, SNOW SHOWERS.  Are you kiddin' me?  Every day in the near future sunny, but the one I planned to ride.  Just got off the trainer, so no-go for today--I am absolutely on the brink of a tantrum. 

Rant over.

2011-02-12 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3351685

User image

jgerbodegrant - 2011-02-12 4:07 AM
Sweet dude.  That's awesome.  I just sold my race wheels yesterday....sad to see them go, but looking forward to getting a new front race wheel.  I think mike pretty much answered your questions.  Are you planning on running your PT during races???  If not, did you get another cover for your new HED setup? 

Yeah...planning on running the PT covered for all races they are allowed.  For everything else, such as the Hawaii 70.3, and a few road races I have in mine, I'm just using the jet rear...so I'm not going to bother getting a cover for it.

Since my wheels are clincher...are there clincher tubes that have removeable valves?  I took a look at the stems on my current tubes, and the valves don't look like they come out.  I was thinking about running latex tubes for racing this year as well.
2011-02-12 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Small dilemna for me and I am interested in hearing everyones input.

Right now I am scheduled to run in the Oshkosh HM April 16th, which is a race that I want to run just to see where my fitness stands going into my summer training. I am not training specifically for it, might taper and will probably take a light week off after since I start my build to Racine 70.3 the following Saturday. However, I just got word that La Crosse is having a HM 2 weeks after the Oshkosh HM and I would like to run that one since I live in La Crosse and won't have to drive 3-4 hours across the state. The one problem is that the La Crosse HM is May 1st, a full week into my first 23 day block of training for Racine. If I did this race I am worried about how it would effect my training for Racine which is my "A" race this year. Moreso if I did any type of taper and any recovery I would be losing valuable time in my first training block for Racine. Anyone have any input on this? I could use the HM as a training run? and just train as I normally would before and after the race?
2011-02-12 9:41 AM

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

Janyne--Good luck at your marathon tomorrow!  (Pssst...I think it's her first marathon, so she could probably use some mentor group love.)

2011-02-12 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3351720

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
jtrezza - 2011-02-12 8:41 AM

Janyne--Good luck at your marathon tomorrow!  (Pssst...I think it's her first marathon, so she could probably use some mentor group love.)

Absolutely: we're looking forward to hearing about your awesome run Jayne; you'll do great!

I got 3 miles in today, at a 9:30 average pace. I'm not super-pleased with this pace for this distance, my 6-miler on Dec 14th was at about a 8:45 pace, but under the circumstances I won't complain much. Out loud. Very often.
Seriously, even with the disappointing pace it felt great. I likely did too much too soon, but I've had a hard time sitting around the house lately; it's driving me nuts. I might pay for this one, but it was totally worth it. Now to start adding miles on the bike again.
When I initially picked my first tri, I wanted to be a MOP'er. Now, with the couple of setbacks I've experienced, I'm anticipating being a BOP'er. Either way, I'll be satisfied with completing it and I'll just work on performing better at my second event.
I found an extra pound or pound-and-a-half this morning. It must have been the great Early-Valentine's dinner last night. It shouldn't take long for this to burn-off, so I'm not concerned.

2011-02-12 12:55 PM

User image

Fall River, WI
Good luck and have fun with your marathon tomorrow.  Look forward to hearing how it went.
2011-02-12 3:13 PM

User image

Hugo, MN
Finally got on the bike.  Big mental hurdle overcome today. 

60 min on trainer (2x20 min @ ~220W  avg)

Then did a 10 mile tempo run in 1:14 (7:24/mi).  Today taught me that I probably won't be running a 1:30 HM anytime soon, but it's a great long term goal.

Good luck Janyne
2011-02-12 7:20 PM
in reply to: #3351598

User image

Champion
bergstrom.mike - 2011-02-12 5:23 AM

1. I always buy tubular race tires with removable valve cores. The extenders screw into the stem and the cores go into the extender. My preference and you will have to choose yours.

2. yes the crack pipe does that. I have used my pump head with those covers before, the cover does give a bit so if it isn't a huge head it will work.

3. Those stickers should last two or three or more removals and replaces. I don't bother with covering it! I find that the cover tends to move slightly over time and besides it's not that big a hole.

pretty much nailed it.

On both tubular and clincher wheels i tend to just use the zipp extenders.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 57