BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-06-30 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3574022

User image

Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED
Sorry to hear about your cat...

2011-06-30 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

I looked up the catch up drill on youtube and will try it today. I also called the Y for information on having someone look at my form. Not sure if I will get anywhere, but it's a start.  It takes me about 300 yards to warm up, should I do drills during that time or warm up first, or maybe it makes no difference. 
2011-06-30 8:14 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
BEAUTIFUL run course this AM - Ocean Ave in Kennebunkport, Maine. Perfectly sunny, right along the ocean. Said hello to the Bush Family ad I ran past Walker Point. 4.5 miles of bliss in just under 41 minutes. Had to stop a couple times to get direction (oops! :-)), but was only for maybe 1 minute.
2011-06-30 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Catching up with this past weeks postings

Great job on your tri Curt! You sure have some speed in you. Did you have warning 'twinges' before your big injury? If you did, you might be able to push and then back off if you get twinges and build up like that. It's tricky to know when to push and when to back off.

Mike, imagine what your swim would of been without the goggle issues. You had a good time! Loved today's check in too! You have the joy of running

Sara,is your husband still keeping up his blog? What was the link? Your kids tri sounds fun. Looking forward to pictures.

Kate, sorry about your kitty. We have one more cat and she's 15. We've had her since she was hours old. Her Mama bailed (long story ) out of a car and I bottle fed the litter. It's so hard to lose our pets.

Susie, always love your good attitude. 

I'm a little over 2 weeks away from my first HIM. My plan has me start tapering next week. I'm ready because I'm tired and not ready because tapering makes me feel fat and antsy We went up to Healdsberg last weekend to ride the bike course which was a big help to check it out. It'll be a challenge because it has a lot of good size rollers and a bigger climb at mile 45. The nice thing is it's pretty much downhill after that so I'll have time to recover for the run. We drove the run course and it also has a lot of rollers so I'm working out my plan in my head to run up as many of the uphills as I can.

My birthday is coming up and I asked my husband for an outdoor aviary. I want to put little birds in it like canaries and finches. My Dad is building it for me and I've transgressed to being his 'little helper' like I was growing up. We've worked on it 15 hours already this week! I'll take a picture when it's done. It'll be fun to sit in the backyard and listen to them

It's been hard to get my workouts in with working on the aviary but I'm glad it's almost done and I'm almost tapering!

Does anyone have some fun 4th of July plans???

Johanne

2011-06-30 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3573835

User image

Master
Dunedin
suzielea - 2011-06-29 9:19 PM

Agreed. I'm back to dealing with some heel issues - split skin that's causing pain - so I haven't run since Monday but I might get some more swimming in today as it doesn't seem to aggravate it - although the gravvelly floor (it's some sort of tile that has rocky bits in it) does. Hmm, maybe I should invest in some thongs (as in flip flops, lol) and wear them to and from the pool and change room.

Other than that I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do my new intervals when I get running again.

Ouch! I hope that heals soon!

2011-06-30 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin
kgore - 2011-06-29 11:49 PM

yeah, I've been kinda MIA lately. Mostly training and work--its event season at work, lotsa long days. Also, I have been ramping up my training for the tri next week.

Yesterday, I could barely do anything--my beloved cat passed away after 16.5 wonderful years. She and I had such a bond. I am going to do this next race in her honor.

It was very tough for me yesterday--I am still pretty raw feeling today. The difference being that I knew if I kept busy and didn't allow myself to think too much that I would be okay. So I trained with my class, but also did other things too.

Aww, sorry to hear.

2011-06-30 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3574287

User image

Master
Dunedin

nadaswimmer - 2011-06-30 8:44 AM I looked up the catch up drill on youtube and will try it today. I also called the Y for information on having someone look at my form. Not sure if I will get anywhere, but it's a start.  It takes me about 300 yards to warm up, should I do drills during that time or warm up first, or maybe it makes no difference. 

Good idea to check with the Y! I'm a little biased since I teach lessons at the local one. =)  Make sure you ask what the instructors background is... you want someone that can critique your stroke, not someone who is just teaching you how to propel through the water.  I've seen very good instructors and very not so good instructors.

2011-06-30 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3574357

User image

Master
Dunedin

Mike_D - 2011-06-30 9:14 AM BEAUTIFUL run course this AM - Ocean Ave in Kennebunkport, Maine. Perfectly sunny, right along the ocean. Said hello to the Bush Family ad I ran past Walker Point. 4.5 miles of bliss in just under 41 minutes. Had to stop a couple times to get direction (oops! :-)), but was only for maybe 1 minute.

Awesome! I'm jealous. I really like Maine. =)

2011-06-30 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3574566

User image

Master
Dunedin
50andgettingfit - 2011-06-30 10:19 AM

I'm a little over 2 weeks away from my first HIM. My plan has me start tapering next week. I'm ready because I'm tired and not ready because tapering makes me feel fat and antsy We went up to Healdsberg last weekend to ride the bike course which was a big help to check it out. It'll be a challenge because it has a lot of good size rollers and a bigger climb at mile 45. The nice thing is it's pretty much downhill after that so I'll have time to recover for the run. We drove the run course and it also has a lot of rollers so I'm working out my plan in my head to run up as many of the uphills as I can.

My birthday is coming up and I asked my husband for an outdoor aviary. I want to put little birds in it like canaries and finches. My Dad is building it for me and I've transgressed to being his 'little helper' like I was growing up. We've worked on it 15 hours already this week! I'll take a picture when it's done. It'll be fun to sit in the backyard and listen to them

It's been hard to get my workouts in with working on the aviary but I'm glad it's almost done and I'm almost tapering!

Johanne

Johanne, you're certainly busy! 

There's something really special about someone's first tri, but there's something really AWESOME about someone's first HIM...it's hard to explain, but you get anxious and excited that you're putting "endurance" into endurance sport!  Good luck with tapering!

That's neat about the aviary!  It would be so cool to live someplace where people would actually consider such a project.  Our weather in New York has been miserable this year, so I doubt anyone would want to put poor little birdies in that situation.

I have to work all of 4th of July weekend!  My tri club is hosting it's first youth triathlon on Saturday and then I rush off for an evening shift, come back for a morning shift and work another shift on the holiday.  The pay check will be nice!

2011-06-30 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Managed to get in an AM run today; and, in the process, finished the month "peachy"!!!  BUT, that'll be the last time I do that challenge!!!!!!  Did the same thing in December and forgot how zapped I was at the end of the month.

Likely going to take it a bit easy over the weekend and then start some "serious" training next Tuesday.  Debating on how I want to go about this.  Thinking that I could go with more distance at slower pace OR try and mix in some more speed work.  One thing I will be doing is getting in a day off every week to let my body heal up.

2011-06-30 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3574566

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
50andgettingfit - 2011-06-30 9:19 AM

Catching up with this past weeks postings

Great job on your tri Curt! You sure have some speed in you. Did you have warning 'twinges' before your big injury? If you did, you might be able to push and then back off if you get twinges and build up like that. It's tricky to know when to push and when to back off.

Mike, imagine what your swim would of been without the goggle issues. You had a good time! Loved today's check in too! You have the joy of running

Sara,is your husband still keeping up his blog? What was the link? Your kids tri sounds fun. Looking forward to pictures.

Kate, sorry about your kitty. We have one more cat and she's 15. We've had her since she was hours old. Her Mama bailed (long story ) out of a car and I bottle fed the litter. It's so hard to lose our pets.

Susie, always love your good attitude. 

Johanne

I'm so envious and impressed with anyone that can step up to the challenge of a HIM or an IM.  Trust the taper and enjoy the race!

2011-06-30 8:39 PM

Extreme Veteran

Sorry to hear about the cat Kate

Nada - good luck with the catch up drills.

Mike - thats a good speed

Johanne - good luck with the HIM and I hope you get the aviary

Curt - Great work on a peachy month

Me - I almost got a peachy month but I missed 3-4 days. My heal seems to have heeled - ok it's still split but hurting less - so I'm starting July with w4d2 of my run program and some strength work - already did 21 bench push ups while waiting for the jug to boil this morning.

For July I've decided to organise swimming lessons and get my bike fixed. My goals are as follows:

1. complete month 2 of my running program
2. Swim 75m freestyle and 150m backstroke. The lessons I'm hoping to get should help with this because I'll learn better technique meaning I'll be more efficient in the water
3. Get my bike fixed and start the beginners cycling program
4. Eat healthier - This means experimenting with some cooking
5. Get a job - Although I'm not sure how many there'll be with the schools being on holidays.

So what goals does the rest of the group have for July?

2011-06-30 11:35 PM
in reply to: #3574968

User image

Expert
San Jose
WittyCityGirl - 2011-06-30 9:44 AM
50andgettingfit - 2011-06-30 10:19 AM

Johanne

Johanne, you're certainly busy! 

There's something really special about someone's first tri, but there's something really AWESOME about someone's first HIM...it's hard to explain, but you get anxious and excited that you're putting "endurance" into endurance sport!  Good luck with tapering!

That's neat about the aviary!  It would be so cool to live someplace where people would actually consider such a project.  Our weather in New York has been miserable this year, so I doubt anyone would want to put poor little birdies in that situation.

I have to work all of 4th of July weekend!  My tri club is hosting it's first youth triathlon on Saturday and then I rush off for an evening shift, come back for a morning shift and work another shift on the holiday.  The pay check will be nice!

I'm super excited for the HIM and scared at the same time I'm not the fasted boat in the ocean and I might be racing for 8 hours.....seriously. I figured it out It'll be fun and I know I'll have a good sense of accomplishment.

We are spoiled in California with our weather. We lived in Kansas City for a few years and I liked the change of seasons but my husband could never warm up in the winter. 

Your youth tri sounds like lots of fun. Working most of the weekend, not so fun. Money good though!

I agree with Curt on the peachy challenge. I'm tired!!!

2011-06-30 11:38 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose
Curt, at this point I HAVE to trust the training and I'm really looking forward to the taper! On some days I still wonder why I signed up for an HIM and I have another one in October! 
2011-07-01 2:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Starting July off with 21 bench push ups and 1.67 miles of run/walking - took me 35 mins. I did fairly good with the intervals too. Not sure whether I'm aiming for another peach month but I'm looking at getting a total of 45 workouts of 15 mins+ in total for the month. That means at least half the month with 2 workouts - that'll probably be some sort of gym class I'm thinking.
2011-07-01 7:09 AM

User image

I tried the catchup drill...that was an odd experience. I learned that I can do it if I don't have to breathe. However, I usually breathe on every stroke (on only my left) so when I lift my head to breathe, my right shoulder/arm drops every time and I cannot keep it up and get a breath at the same time. I also talked to the aquatics director and she is matching me up with someone for some stroke development. Hopefully it is soon. I have about 6 weeks until Iron Girl Columbia. My taper week will take place on a cruise, so I am pretty excited about that. I love those posts "You know you're a triathlete when..." You plan your cruise on a taper week!

2011-07-01 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3575351

User image

Master
Dunedin
croixfan - 2011-06-30 3:09 PM

Managed to get in an AM run today; and, in the process, finished the month "peachy"!!!  BUT, that'll be the last time I do that challenge!!!!!!  Did the same thing in December and forgot how zapped I was at the end of the month.

Likely going to take it a bit easy over the weekend and then start some "serious" training next Tuesday.  Debating on how I want to go about this.  Thinking that I could go with more distance at slower pace OR try and mix in some more speed work.  One thing I will be doing is getting in a day off every week to let my body heal up.

Great game plan.  Congrats on such a peachy month!  It'll be interesting to hear how your body reacts to having a full day off each week.  Remember, it's for the best!  Macca says recovery is the most undervalued part of our training (for anyone who is a reader, my husband is currently reading Chris McCormack's book and he loves it).

2011-07-01 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3576010

User image

Master
Dunedin
suzielea - 2011-06-30 9:39 PM

Me - I almost got a peachy month but I missed 3-4 days. My heal seems to have heeled - ok it's still split but hurting less - so I'm starting July with w4d2 of my run program and some strength work - already did 21 bench push ups while waiting for the jug to boil this morning.

For July I've decided to organise swimming lessons and get my bike fixed. My goals are as follows:

1. complete month 2 of my running program
2. Swim 75m freestyle and 150m backstroke. The lessons I'm hoping to get should help with this because I'll learn better technique meaning I'll be more efficient in the water
3. Get my bike fixed and start the beginners cycling program
4. Eat healthier - This means experimenting with some cooking
5. Get a job - Although I'm not sure how many there'll be with the schools being on holidays.

So what goals does the rest of the group have for July?

Loved reading your goals, Suzanne!  Having them written down definitely makes them more real.  I don't have any solid triathlon goals for the month (I guess just finishing a tri in a couple weeks, I won't be able to get in shape in time to race it, so I'm just participating for the SWAG).  My main goal is to get my research proposal into the University of Otago in New Zealand.  I've been working with an advisor for over a year on this thing, now let's get it funded! =)

2011-07-01 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3576159

User image

Master
Dunedin

50andgettingfit - 2011-07-01 12:38 AM Curt, at this point I HAVE to trust the training and I'm really looking forward to the taper! On some days I still wonder why I signed up for an HIM and I have another one in October! 

A friend did the Syracuse 70.3 in 9 hours last September, but felt good at the end.  It's an amazing accomplishment to be able to keep your body in motion that long!  Enjoy your taper.  Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  =

2011-07-01 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3576432

User image

Expert
San Jose
WittyCityGirl - 2011-07-01 6:31 AM

50andgettingfit - 2011-07-01 12:38 AM Curt, at this point I HAVE to trust the training and I'm really looking forward to the taper! On some days I still wonder why I signed up for an HIM and I have another one in October! 

A friend did the Syracuse 70.3 in 9 hours last September, but felt good at the end.  It's an amazing accomplishment to be able to keep your body in motion that long!  Enjoy your taper.  Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  =

Yea just for doing it! My primary goal is just to finish feeling good. I would of never thought that I could stay in motion for that long and if I break it up it won't seem too overwhelming. I have to hydrate. We're starting a heatwave here today. High 90's for the next 5 days at least. It'l be good heat training for the race

2011-07-01 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3576159

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

50andgettingfit - 2011-06-30 11:38 PM Curt, at this point I HAVE to trust the training and I'm really looking forward to the taper! On some days I still wonder why I signed up for an HIM and I have another one in October! 

Like I always tell the kids I coach "Believe to Achieve".  You've put in the time and you'll get through it great!  Each time I see one of my fellow trainees hitting a goal like this it helps me believe I can hit my targets -- thanks!

2011-07-02 12:11 AM
in reply to: #3576409

Extreme Veteran

Sara - getting your research proposal done sounds like a goal in itself. I usually have a goal regarding school too but I'm currently on holidays.

Oh and I may need to revise or quantify my swimming goal as I actually did 75m today.

2011-07-02 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Good morning, everyone. Hope y'all have a great holdiay weekend. I kicked mine off with a 3 mile run this AM which felt like garbage, but turned out to be a sub 9 min pace. I also just yesterday signed up for a 4.4 mile roadrace on monday AM. Tomorrow will  likely be a good long bike ride. Back in the pool on tuesday.

Today is also me & the Mrs. 16th wedding anniversary!
2011-07-02 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3578004

User image

Expert
San Jose

Mike_D - 2011-07-02 4:58 AM Good morning, everyone. Hope y'all have a great holdiay weekend. I kicked mine off with a 3 mile run this AM which felt like garbage, but turned out to be a sub 9 min pace. I also just yesterday signed up for a 4.4 mile roadrace on monday AM. Tomorrow will  likely be a good long bike ride. Back in the pool on tuesday.

Great start to your morning and hope you have a wonderful anniversary!

2011-07-02 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3578109

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
50andgettingfit - 2011-07-02 9:06 AM

Mike_D - 2011-07-02 4:58 AM Good morning, everyone. Hope y'all have a great holdiay weekend. I kicked mine off with a 3 mile run this AM which felt like garbage, but turned out to be a sub 9 min pace. I also just yesterday signed up for a 4.4 mile roadrace on monday AM. Tomorrow will  likely be a good long bike ride. Back in the pool on tuesday.

Great start to your morning and hope you have a wonderful anniversary!

Thanks! 

Best of luck w/ the HIM! Your season has been an inspiration.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72