BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-03-24 6:02 AM
in reply to: #4110858

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

Ybeal - 2012-03-23 8:36 PM Oh where has the motivation gone??? Seems contagious, let's turn it around! I have an event Sunday morning, Girls Run the World Sprint, haven't trained hardly at all this week, just going to hope for the best!

You'll probably do fine...nice and rested...Smile

2012-03-24 6:12 AM
in reply to: #4110406

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
kentkillsit - 2012-03-23 1:31 PM

Hey all,

Started off great through january and early february.  Feel like I'm in good health and my run times are improving; I'm hit or miss with swimming.  Haven't touched the bike in the last couple weeks, but as my calendar calls for longer rides, I fear the accompanying back-pain and saddle-pain.  Riding hurts more than the other two and I don't think it should.  Last month or so has been a ridiculous mix of sick and busy and I can't seem to dial in the routine.  New head cold and sinus headache today.  Frustrated.  The banners that scroll across the top of the various pages in BT featuring cut athletes modeling the latest xterra wetsuits or whatever have me feeling resentful, "other," defeated.  My workout calendar mocks me. 

Glad to be connected to this group and encouraged by your successes and great attitudes, but I'm having a tough time nevertheless.  Hoping to draft on some of your good vibes in the coming weeks. 

-Kent

Kent please go to your bike shop and tell them about your pain. They often have loaner saddles they will simply let you borrow for a while. If no loaner saddles, you can buy one and return it if it doesn't work for you...just save the packaging.

If you don't have a bike shop you feel comfortable in, please go visit a few. It is so helpful to have somewhere to go and chat about this stuff. Plus you get to look at bikes and stuff, always a bonus.

I am sorry you are feeling blue. I have gone through periods of low motivation several times...it seems to be par for the course for me. It may just be a natural ebb and flow for you...and being sick is never a good time to jump start your attitude. 

We all sit around and talk about technique and training, but I find "sports psychology" to be a very important part of athletics. I just don't know exactly how to help you except to say you are not alone in your frustration. 

2012-03-24 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4111003

Rochester

I know it's frustrating. It helps to think of it like a golf swing...you know what you want to do, it's just hard to make yourself do it...

Can you get anyone to take a little video of your swim? It helps so much and is surprising to see how you look vs. how you feel.

And the inventor of that pill would make millions...

I tried Vitamin C for the pill, it didn't work. LOL. My swim looks like Phoebe's running on Friends. I talked to someone the other day that has done a bunch of IM's and told of my frustration, she suggested Total Immersion which I was actually looking into at the time. So I will try to readjust it again and see what happens.

2012-03-25 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hi all. Happy Sunday. I'm outside on my trainer gong fo one hour. Oriolepwr, mrs Oriolepwr, and mr Quincyf are down at the shamrock shuffle. Our spawn are playing nicely downstairs. Brunch and a sunny march afternoon to look forward to. Hard not to feel optimistic on a day like today. Feel good everyone!
2012-03-25 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4112017

User image

Veteran

quincyf - 2012-03-25 11:06 AM Hi all. Happy Sunday. I'm outside on my trainer gong fo one hour. Oriolepwr, mrs Oriolepwr, and mr Quincyf are down at the shamrock shuffle. Our spawn are playing nicely downstairs. Brunch and a sunny march afternoon to look forward to. Hard not to feel optimistic on a day like today. Feel good everyone!

Sounds like fun! Can't beat this weather!

2012-03-25 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran

quincyf - 2012-03-25 11:06 AM Hi all. Happy Sunday. I'm outside on my trainer gong fo one hour. Oriolepwr, mrs Oriolepwr, and mr Quincyf are down at the shamrock shuffle. Our spawn are playing nicely downstairs. Brunch and a sunny march afternoon to look forward to. Hard not to feel optimistic on a day like today. Feel good everyone!

It is a good day for a workout.  Nice long 10.5 mile run this morning.  Felt good...but the pace was fast for a long run, so I'll be longing tor a nap this afternoon, but I don't think it's in the cards.

I think every gets unmotivated now and then.  You just have to choose to thumb your nose at it and do it anyway.  I always run super early in the morning...like in the 5am hour.  Sometimes when I'm not motivated to get up, I fast forward to the middle of the day in the mind and will feel the regret of not running.  And then I remember that when I drag myself up and out, as soon as my feet hit the pavement, I never regret it.  So...not running = regret and running = no regret.  That's usually enough to get me up and out.

Relentless.  Forward.  Progress.

2012-03-26 9:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Well I did the Girls Run the World Sprint Tri on Sunday, just relaxed and had fun. Q you were right, my legs were rested, maybe too rested! Lol.  Got a nice shirt and a cool medal for my wall

My swim was difficult, first one in a saline pool, the swimmers were very spaced out so that was nice I think the best (and worst) part was the bike. The course was quite hilly, not steep hills but longer gentle inclines which gave my legs a workout and gave me lots of practice with my gears. The second half was easier, more downhill which was nice.

Here's the race reporthttp://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/link-detail.asp?linkid=46174

Edited by Ybeal 2012-03-26 1:02 PM
2012-03-27 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4111010

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-03-24 6:12 AM
kentkillsit - 2012-03-23 1:31 PM

Hey all,

Started off great through january and early february.  Feel like I'm in good health and my run times are improving; I'm hit or miss with swimming.  Haven't touched the bike in the last couple weeks, but as my calendar calls for longer rides, I fear the accompanying back-pain and saddle-pain.  Riding hurts more than the other two and I don't think it should.  Last month or so has been a ridiculous mix of sick and busy and I can't seem to dial in the routine.  New head cold and sinus headache today.  Frustrated.  The banners that scroll across the top of the various pages in BT featuring cut athletes modeling the latest xterra wetsuits or whatever have me feeling resentful, "other," defeated.  My workout calendar mocks me. 

Glad to be connected to this group and encouraged by your successes and great attitudes, but I'm having a tough time nevertheless.  Hoping to draft on some of your good vibes in the coming weeks. 

-Kent

Kent please go to your bike shop and tell them about your pain. They often have loaner saddles they will simply let you borrow for a while. If no loaner saddles, you can buy one and return it if it doesn't work for you...just save the packaging.

Besides a possible medical issue (not that I would know)  Like Tom and Q have said, saddle can be an issue.  cheapest easiest step to being comfy on the bike. 

Its also possible that your bike doesn't really fit you.  (hope this isnt the case)   Spending the $$ to be properly fitted on your bike could reveal issues that can be helped.  Also as part of the fitting, saddles are usually tried and suggested.  So you can take care of two possibles at once this way.  

Next it really can be that you just need to ride more.    The back is involved in cycling.  But like most things, consistency and adding miles to your training slowly can get it up to speed.  

If you don't have a bike shop you feel comfortable in, please go visit a few. It is so helpful to have somewhere to go and chat about this stuff. Plus you get to look at bikes and stuff, always a bonus.

Absolutely! 

I am sorry you are feeling blue. I have gone through periods of low motivation several times...it seems to be par for the course for me. It may just be a natural ebb and flow for you...and being sick is never a good time to jump start your attitude. 

We all sit around and talk about technique and training, but I find "sports psychology" to be a very important part of athletics. I just don't know exactly how to help you except to say you are not alone in your frustration. 

Yes Kent  sorry about the feeling blue.  Dang everyone has been sick this year, its crazy!    "sports psychology"   is really the biggest component of training/racing   it drives everything.   You have to know yourself, what works, modify, adapt.  etc.    drafting off others good vibes  really does help.       

2012-03-27 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4113123

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Ybeal - 2012-03-26 9:15 AM Well I did the Girls Run the World Sprint Tri on Sunday, just relaxed and had fun. Q you were right, my legs were rested, maybe too rested! Lol.  Got a nice shirt and a cool medal for my wall

My swim was difficult, first one in a saline pool, the swimmers were very spaced out so that was nice I think the best (and worst) part was the bike. The course was quite hilly, not steep hills but longer gentle inclines which gave my legs a workout and gave me lots of practice with my gears. The second half was easier, more downhill which was nice.

Here's the race reporthttp://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/link-detail.asp?linkid=46174

Way to go Yvonne!  already  a couple of Tri's under your belt!   you are now a veteran!   so when is your next event? 

2012-03-27 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4112091

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
DaDooRunRun - 2012-03-25 12:12 PM

It is a good day for a workout.  Nice long 10.5 mile run this morning.  Felt good...but the pace was fast for a long run, so I'll be longing tor a nap this afternoon, but I don't think it's in the cards.

I think every gets unmotivated now and then.  You just have to choose to thumb your nose at it and do it anyway.  I always run super early in the morning...like in the 5am hour.  Sometimes when I'm not motivated to get up, I fast forward to the middle of the day in the mind and will feel the regret of not running.  And then I remember that when I drag myself up and out, as soon as my feet hit the pavement, I never regret it.  So...not running = regret and running = no regret.  That's usually enough to get me up and out.

Jacki   you have it worked OUT!  so many things can get in the way of training.   Setting the alarm to get up and train is smart.   And its Bad-A$$   

2012-03-27 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

quincyf - 2012-03-25 10:06 AM Hi all. Happy Sunday. I'm outside on my trainer gong fo one hour. Oriolepwr, mrs Oriolepwr, and mr Quincyf are down at the shamrock shuffle. Our spawn are playing nicely downstairs. Brunch and a sunny march afternoon to look forward to. Hard not to feel optimistic on a day like today. Feel good everyone!

Q  thank you so much for the weekend.  It was fab!   While I did not do well at the shuffle due to a bunch of excuses, I still had a great time with you guys, so I don't even care how slow I was.  

What a beautiful day that was, and everyone played well.     Mr. Quincyf   Nailed that race too!     Wish I had. But again I was all good with it.   Mrs. Oriolepwr who had that bout of Diverticulitis, surprised me and ran the race too.  Proud of her!

Champagne brunch was awesome!   Nothing like Ghost pepper sauce and toxic waste in the morning!!    oh and and and cabbage.  We have to do this again!

Shamrock Shuffle  I highly recommend.   I have not run this race before  but have run the Chicago Marathon 3 X     I will say that this event as it had 34,000 people in it and ran much of the best parts of the marathon route, gives you a pretty good feel for what the Chicago marathon is like (minus the 21+ extra miles).    So now we are calling it  "Chicago marathon-Lite"      But oddly the shirts are red and not green.  

2012-03-27 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Sharing my frustration is in regard to my foot.  I had surgery (Cheilectomy) last March to remove a wicked bone spur mass  caused by osteoarthritis brought on by some sort of trauma to that foot so long ago I don't even know what it was.    The second toe on my right foot cannot hardly bend.  This massively reduced my running.   As it took major HTFU to run.   Largely I got by on multiple steroid shots.   to get through last year.  The arthritis has eaten up the cartilage in the area.  They drilled holes in the cartilage in an attempt to help it re-form. 

Anyhow after surgery, it improved to a degree , but in the past couple of months its been hurting like it did pre surgery.   Thus I have really backed off on running.   So my speed is hurt by the not running, and certain lack of quality running cause it HURTS.     

The only other option is to replace the joint.   They did not want to do that cause I'm too young.  And a decent runner.  They say replacing the joint will change my gait.  They also say that you can only have this joint replaced ONCE  and they think it works well for like 10 years.  And of course that 10 years  is not for someone that would run 1000+ miles in a year.

I absolutely love running, and these facts are bringing me down.   I'm thinking that unless this condition somehow gets better,  my running days will be over very soon, and I will be relegated to Bike/Swim only.     While I also really love Biking and can do that largely pain free, it does not give me the same endorphins/feelings that running does.      

Its so weird,  I mean its just the second toe.  I see people with artificial legs completing ironman and marathons.   Cut the dang toe off!  Insurance/doctors wont do that. 

I'm just so frustrated by this.  

Sorry for my rant...        I've made an appointment with my podiatrist to re-go over my options  likely get another steroid shot and probably hear that  I wont be able to run my marathons/ultra   I have scheduled. 

One thing I will say now is even if I have to give up running so I can walk later in life,  I will go back to my roots   THE BIKE  and get uber serious with it.        we will see. 

So echoing what was said a little earlier in the thread,  just drafting off the good vibes from y'all helps. 

2012-03-27 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4114925

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-03-27 9:34 AM

Ybeal - 2012-03-26 9:15 AM Well I did the Girls Run the World Sprint Tri on Sunday, just relaxed and had fun. Q you were right, my legs were rested, maybe too rested! Lol.  Got a nice shirt and a cool medal for my wall

Way to go Yvonne!  already  a couple of Tri's under your belt!   you are now a veteran!   so when is your next event? 

May 19 - Warrior Dash

May 20 - Sprint Tri (Ramblin rose)

Need to take a little break this week and see if I can get my gait issues figured out!

2012-03-27 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4115023

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-03-27 10:24 AM

Sharing my frustration is in regard to my foot.  I had surgery (Cheilectomy) last March to remove a wicked bone spur mass  caused by osteoarthritis brought on by some sort of trauma to that foot so long ago I don't even know what it was.    The second toe on my right foot cannot hardly bend.  This massively reduced my running.   As it took major HTFU to run.   Largely I got by on multiple steroid shots.   to get through last year.  The arthritis has eaten up the cartilage in the area.  They drilled holes in the cartilage in an attempt to help it re-form. 

Anyhow after surgery, it improved to a degree , but in the past couple of months its been hurting like it did pre surgery.   Thus I have really backed off on running.   So my speed is hurt by the not running, and certain lack of quality running cause it HURTS.     

The only other option is to replace the joint.   They did not want to do that cause I'm too young.  And a decent runner.  They say replacing the joint will change my gait.  They also say that you can only have this joint replaced ONCE  and they think it works well for like 10 years.  And of course that 10 years  is not for someone that would run 1000+ miles in a year.

I absolutely love running, and these facts are bringing me down.   I'm thinking that unless this condition somehow gets better,  my running days will be over very soon, and I will be relegated to Bike/Swim only.     While I also really love Biking and can do that largely pain free, it does not give me the same endorphins/feelings that running does.      

Its so weird,  I mean its just the second toe.  I see people with artificial legs completing ironman and marathons.   Cut the dang toe off!  Insurance/doctors wont do that. 

Sorry for my rant...        I've made an appointment with my podiatrist to re-go over my options  likely get another steroid shot and probably hear that  I wont be able to run my marathons/ultra   I have scheduled. 

One thing I will say now is even if I have to give up running so I can walk later in life,  I will go back to my roots   THE BIKE  and get uber serious with it.        we will see. 

So echoing what was said a little earlier in the thread,  just drafting off the good vibes from y'all helps. 

Man, if anyone can overcome this, YOU CAN! That's a tough situation but you WILL have options, maybe not all the ones you want, but you WILL be able to adapt!  You can deal with the gait issues if you have to.  I fell skiing and hit my right side hard, tore the labrum in my right hip, it can be fixed with surgery but I don't want it.  So I just find ways to deal with it, stretching, etc.  It's not perfect but I'm still trying It does affect my gait and I have to be very aware of it.  You got out there and did the shamrock shuffle and there will be many other races in your future, I know it!

2012-03-28 11:18 AM

You know what is fascinating...

I am still out of comission with my knee still busted up, and here I am looking at your posts.
I haven't done a thing recently, and reading through all of this, it completely and totally makes me want to get up and out today regardless.

I don't think I will today, but I have a physical next week, and hopefully will be cleared to go, and if I am, look out, here I come. 

Thank you all for being you, and whether you intended or not, encouraging the living out of me (in me? for me? however it should be said).

Thank you.

2012-03-29 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran

My TurnSealed  So, last saturday I changed the oil and manually rotated my tires on the my little Versa.  Done stuff like this dozens of times.  Well, (you know where this is going hehehe)  I pulled my back loosening and tightening the lug nuts.  My back hasn't hurt like this in years.  And after such an awesome massage on Friday, uuggghhhh!  I finally decided to run yesterday (Wednesday) - damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.  Still hurt afterward but actually felt a little better. However, I mostly walked the 2.5 mile loop with 9 + minutes of jogging.  Today I rode the bike indoors for 60 minutes, 400 mg of ibuprofen, and icy/hot on the back.  Ride went well, 15.5 mph average and tight hammy's.  The streching strap I bought at the expo helps with the stretching. 

Hey, Mark, Can't wait to see you post some progress.  Good luck with the Dr.

Yvonne, Amazing, Awesome, and WOW! 

May the Legs be with You!

ooh, ooh, - how about this one?

Run Long, and Perspire!

2012-03-29 6:40 PM
in reply to: #4119700

User image

The sign up to volunteer for IMOO starts Monday.  I think I'm going to volunteer just in case I get bit by this triathlon thing and really want to do something crazySurprised next year.
2012-03-29 9:24 PM

Rochester

Let's just cut the toe off. It is the second toe? Really will not miss it. LOL. Just trying to make you laugh.

2012-03-29 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4114936

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-03-27 9:37 AM
DaDooRunRun - 2012-03-25 12:12 PM

Jacki   you have it worked OUT!  so many things can get in the way of training.   Setting the alarm to get up and train is smart.   And its Bad-A$$   

Thanks.  Sometimes it feels Bad-A$$ and sometimes it just feels crazy. 

2012-03-29 9:59 PM

User image

Veteran

I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of not being able to run.  Ugh.  Don't panic though.  Find out your options...work through the emotional turmoil that comes with...and you'll find a way to perservere.  On the other side will be a new, stronger version of you.  Really and truly. 

2012-03-29 10:02 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi all.  Slacked off training a bit this week, unfortunately.  Part of the mad dash of getting ready for vacation.  And I made it!  7:30am we head south!  A few days in Florida and then we board a cruise ship bound for the Bahamas!  Running clothes are packed and I will catch up on my training log when I get back.  Hope you all have great spring breaks, whenever they are!  I will post a few pics of DH and our spawn (love that Q...stealing it...) when we're back in Indy.  Happy Spring Break and Happy Easter!

Take care and keep doin' what you're doin'!

Jacki

2012-03-29 10:42 PM
in reply to: #4119767

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

trei - 2012-03-29 6:40 PM The sign up to volunteer for IMOO starts Monday.  I think I'm going to volunteer just in case I get bit by this triathlon thing and really want to do something crazySurprised next year.

I've heard bike catcher is a good job...get to handle the pretty carbon and still time to go see the finish!

2012-03-29 10:44 PM
in reply to: #4120063

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
DaDooRunRun - 2012-03-29 10:02 PM

Hi all.  Slacked off training a bit this week, unfortunately.  Part of the mad dash of getting ready for vacation.  And I made it!  7:30am we head south!  A few days in Florida and then we board a cruise ship bound for the Bahamas!  Running clothes are packed and I will catch up on my training log when I get back.  Hope you all have great spring breaks, whenever they are!  I will post a few pics of DH and our spawn (love that Q...stealing it...) when we're back in Indy.  Happy Spring Break and Happy Easter!

Take care and keep doin' what you're doin'!

Jacki

Steal away...they are little spawn aren't they!

2012-03-29 10:46 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Ugh, I want to post more but I've been seriously laid up since yesterday with either tonsillitis or the flu. Either way I want to stab myself in the eye. Or the tonsil. Whatever. Anyway, this has been a sick year for sure, and not just for me. What's up with that? Coincidence? Hysteria? What?

Anyone else going anywhere for spring break? 

2012-03-30 5:28 PM

User image

Veteran

I got passed 15 minutes of jogging during my 2.5 mile loop for the first time.  I also got down to 210 lbs.  No I think I might be able to do a Tri at the end of April.  Hope everyone has a great and healthy weekend.

Q, feel better soon.

Yvonne and Jackie are really burnin' up the road:  Great job!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44