General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-04-17 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4341496

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread

After a long break from the group i figured I would join back up. Had my first run at the full distance swim since last year at Lake Placid and have gone from a 1:20 swim to a 1:04 yesterday morning! So happy with that as I come from an absolutely zero swimming background. Glad I took those swim lessons to learn a proper technique this winter!

In other news I was pumped to finally get outside for my long bike on saturday as this week has been in the 50's/60's all we and they are calling for 30's and thunderstorms now... time to find another movie to watch while i ride the trainer...

2013-04-18 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4704294

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
cornick - 2013-04-17 1:12 PM

[brag]

Weighed in at 209 this morning.  Not bad for 6'6"!

My goal weight for last year was 210 and that got derailed with the crash.  So I'm totally stoked for this year and what I can do....

I'd like to be close to 200 even come 7/28 but we shall see, I can only lose so much at my height without a stiff breeze taking me away.

When I started this journey two years ago I was 262.  ouchie, fattie.

[/brag]

Nice work!  I wish I could drop a few.  I wanted to drop a few to begin with, and then ended up gaining some over the winter!  Nothing seems to work for me lately.

2013-04-18 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4704294

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Congrats! That's what hard work and determination will do. You are going to have a lot of fun at LP this year.
2013-04-18 12:41 PM

Andover

I just looked at my count down app on my phone today. 100 days and counting until cannon time. Yikes!!

(IMG_2236.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_2236.jpg (51KB - 10 downloads)
2013-04-18 8:36 PM

Regular
Had a great workout today... FTP test day!  Was able to get a 236... very happy given I started at 165 or so in January.  If nothing else, it shows that something positive is happening.  I am sure you all are seeing some improvements yourselves (AndyBU in the pool, Cornick on the scales); enjoy these little victories!
2013-04-19 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4706512

User image

New user

jsenc2002 - 2013-04-18 8:36 PM Had a great workout today... FTP test day!  Was able to get a 236... very happy given I started at 165 or so in January.  If nothing else, it shows that something positive is happening.  I am sure you all are seeing some improvements yourselves (AndyBU in the pool, Cornick on the scales); enjoy these little victories!

That's insane!  I'm inspired to do a FTP test now.  Will have to wait until next Wed / Thru since I'm on the Fink plan.  Hopefully riding outdoor sometime this weekend.

BTW, anyone on the Fink plan swaps the long bike and long run based on the weather?  I prefer to ride on a dry day and run on a wet day.  Not sure what effect it has to ride on tired legs or ride on tired legs.

2013-04-19 7:46 AM
in reply to: #4705746

User image

New user
steve_mccarthy_69 - 2013-04-18 12:41 PM

I just looked at my count down app on my phone today. 100 days and counting until cannon time. Yikes!!

Does the count down app automatically flash and beep when it is time to panic?  I am so under train in my swim.  Hopefully the situation will change once they open the outdoor pool at my gym.

2013-04-19 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4706776

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
peterliu88 - 2013-04-19 8:46 AM
steve_mccarthy_69 - 2013-04-18 12:41 PM

Does the count down app automatically flash and beep when it is time to panic?  I am so under train in my swim.  Hopefully the situation will change once they open the outdoor pool at my gym.

ok that made me laugh out loud...the panic statement.  Where do you log your workouts? TP?

Keep up the good work everyone...big weekend of training ahead for me! 90/4 brick.

2013-04-19 12:53 PM

User image

New user
Just did a LRHR test (running) as the other poster inspired me to check myself too.   My avg heart rate is 180.  It used to be 184 before I started training and the pace came down a bit.    That's the first real measurable progress I can see so far other than "feeling" better.   I'm assuming the heart rate coming down a bit with pace coming up is a good thing right or should pace come down and avg heart rate stay the same?
2013-04-19 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4706771

User image

Regular
peterliu88 - 2013-04-19 8:42 AM

BTW, anyone on the Fink plan swaps the long bike and long run based on the weather?  I prefer to ride on a dry day and run on a wet day.  Not sure what effect it has to ride on tired legs or ride on tired legs.

I did the Fink plan last year and swapped things around all the time based on work or family commitments.  This year I'm using the same plan and have swapped only a couple of times -- but switching Saturday and Sunday around isn't that big a deal except that it means you run Friday-Saturday...which can be tough.  I did it twice in March.

2013-04-19 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4707210

User image

Regular

Tracker09 - 2013-04-19 1:53 PM Just did a LRHR test (running) as the other poster inspired me to check myself too.   My avg heart rate is 180.  It used to be 184 before I started training and the pace came down a bit.    That's the first real measurable progress I can see so far other than "feeling" better.   I'm assuming the heart rate coming down a bit with pace coming up is a good thing right or should pace come down and avg heart rate stay the same?

If you can improve pace while heart rate comes down -- sounds to me like a winning combination.

2013-04-19 9:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I have my threshold testing next week. I'm curious to see if its gone up again. Last time it went up 28 pts (pts?)

Also, I had my cassette changed today to a 28. Hopefully it'll make things a little easier. I have a 4 hour ride on Sunday so I should get some idea.
2013-04-20 6:37 AM
in reply to: #4707495

Regular
klassman - 2013-04-19 4:31 PM
peterliu88 - 2013-04-19 8:42 AM

I did the Fink plan last year and swapped things around all the time based on work or family commitments.  This year I'm using the same plan and have swapped only a couple of times -- but switching Saturday and Sunday around isn't that big a deal except that it means you run Friday-Saturday...which can be tough.  I did it twice in March.

I swap the run and bike every week, due to kid activity requirements.  I am also trying to move the long run to Fridays (this was first test week), to space the two out.  I have found that my long rides have definitely been impacted by a previous day long run, and I am really trying to get a sense of what my real long ride pace.  This is starting to deviate a bit from the Fink plan a bit, but that said, I am not going at the "competitive" level.  I use it as general guide for total work for the week.  

The other modification I have made is to try to get 4 bike workouts (sweet spot(TR), threshold(TR), revolver(TR), long ride(outside)) and 4 runs (one shorter recovery).  This has improved my running/biking fitness a lot, at the expense of swimming, which is more logistically challenging.  I can be on the trainer or running within 10 min of waking up (yea run outside!) vs 15-20 for swimming.  Run is targeted at a 4:45 LP marathon.

Goal is to get total weekly TSS for bike up to 600ish over the next month (right now 450ish).  I will not get up to the peak hours most of you will, probably peaking in the 14-16 range, at most.  Just trying not to get hurt (revolver on TR is only real stressful workout) outside of pool.  

Quassy will be the first real test of this; that bike course will really work me over.  I added the revolver workout specifically for that race, to add variability.  Sorry for the longish post, would appreciate any thoughts!  FWIW, I am feeling fine and perhaps could push harder...

2013-04-20 6:40 AM
in reply to: #4708050

Regular
Before I forget, thanks to all Police, Fire and other related folks up here in Boston.  It was a crazy day yesterday around here, and we all grateful this was brought to as fast and safe conclusion as possible!
2013-04-20 11:22 AM

Andover

Ugggh! So I went out for a 60 mile ride this morning. It was raining and 45 degrees. After about an hour I was soaked and very cold. I decided to call the ride and head back in for a couple of hours on the trainer. While I was riding in the basement the rain stopped and the sun came out. I was pretty annoyed when I saw the sun out when I was done. Oh well, I still got 3 hours in the saddle and got a 20 minute run on the treadmill after. Hoping for better weather next weekend. I really need to get some good miles in outside.

2013-04-20 9:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois

3k in the pool this morning.  77 on the bike this afternoon.  If race day temps are in the 30s, I will be well prepared.  Seriously...enough of this f-ing weather.  At least it was sunny...it made up for the brief snow flurries around mile 50.

2013-04-21 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4708590

Regular

Week:

S None

B 4:55

R 3:15

T 8:10

Recovery... will restart swimming this or next week.  Feeling ready to ramp it up a bit.  Hope everyone else is well and healthy.

2013-04-22 1:51 PM

User image

woof yesterday was ruff.... missed my long bike on saturday due to work so I did my Long run, Long swim, and Long bike all on the same day yesterday! turns out I am tired today! Hope everyone else had a good weekend of training!
2013-04-23 5:48 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

Good morning all. I've been absent for a while, but I'm moving back into my online presence. Last Monday hit me hard and I was in a bit of funk for most of last week. I married into a Boston family and have adopted it as a second hometown. I've got an amazing group of virtual friends from around the world that I met on the Runners World Boston forums and we gather every year around the race weekend. Some of us race throughout the year together at other venues as well. It's one of my favorite weekends of the year. I wasn't racing this year, but those of us who aren't racing still gather at mile 25.5 and hand out cannolis to those racers that will have them (a long and comical story). Just a sad and surreal ending to what is otherwise such an amazing day for me.

So I took a break from online discussions last week. I still ran, and got more than my intended mileage in. I left the Garmin at home and just ran and meditated. I didn't bike ... no time in the pool ... just running for the sake of running. It was very good.

Cornick ... thanks for checking in. I appreciate the camaraderie and concern. And congratulations on the weight loss!! Svelt and fit!

Brian ... I hope you are managing to find ways to celebrate the good things from race day. One of the things my virtual Boston group did was to write up the race reports and celebrate all that was good about the day. While it was a tragic end to an otherwise amazing and historic event, you ran the BOSTON FREAKING MARATHON!! Be sure to revel in that. I've already got my BQ for next year and plan to run it with emotion. I hope you can join me there.

I'm back on track ... ran 18 on Sunday ... back in the pool last night. All is continuing to move in the right direction. 

2013-04-24 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4711039

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
BernardDogs - 2013-04-23 5:48 AM

Good morning all. I've been absent for a while, but I'm moving back into my online presence. Last Monday hit me hard and I was in a bit of funk for most of last week. I married into a Boston family and have adopted it as a second hometown. I've got an amazing group of virtual friends from around the world that I met on the Runners World Boston forums and we gather every year around the race weekend. Some of us race throughout the year together at other venues as well. It's one of my favorite weekends of the year. I wasn't racing this year, but those of us who aren't racing still gather at mile 25.5 and hand out cannolis to those racers that will have them (a long and comical story). Just a sad and surreal ending to what is otherwise such an amazing day for me.

So I took a break from online discussions last week. I still ran, and got more than my intended mileage in. I left the Garmin at home and just ran and meditated. I didn't bike ... no time in the pool ... just running for the sake of running. It was very good.

Cornick ... thanks for checking in. I appreciate the camaraderie and concern. And congratulations on the weight loss!! Svelt and fit!

Brian ... I hope you are managing to find ways to celebrate the good things from race day. One of the things my virtual Boston group did was to write up the race reports and celebrate all that was good about the day. While it was a tragic end to an otherwise amazing and historic event, you ran the BOSTON FREAKING MARATHON!! Be sure to revel in that. I've already got my BQ for next year and plan to run it with emotion. I hope you can join me there.

I'm back on track ... ran 18 on Sunday ... back in the pool last night. All is continuing to move in the right direction. 

Well said!

Everyone must be training hard...it's been quiet on here.  Smile

2013-04-24 9:04 AM

User image

New user

Washington, DC

Morning all,

Looks like some serious training has been going on here. I'm now focusing on Placid after getting through Boston last week. Still taking it easy this week, but ramping up. Did my first ride in six weeks on Sunday, 2.5 hours, slow and on the training bike, but lots of hills, it was good to get the saddle sores primed for another hard season!

Thinking a long swim tonight and maybe I'll get out to run with Kent on Friday, see if I have any form in my legs. 

After this week though, training begins in earnest. 

I feel bad for those of you with the winter weather still in the air, it's glorious here in DC, but we all know it's short lived before we have to be out at 5 or 6 am to avoid the heat and humidity!

Be well everyone.

Pat

2013-04-24 10:09 AM

User image

New user
I chose to drop my car off in the shop yesterday and ride the 20 miles to work in back.  It was 38 degrees with a stuff headwind on the way in.  I had mild hypothermia because I didn't wear enough.  It's 70 out now, figures.  Happy training everyone.  I got an email from the race directory but it didn't seem to contain anything that I hadn't seen on the website.  Anyone notice anything important on there?
2013-04-24 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Only that at the moment the race is wetsuit legal ;-)
2013-04-24 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4713307

User image

New user

cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-04-24 11:44 AM Only that at the moment the race is wetsuit legal ;-)

Ha, true.   How often is this race wet suit legal on race day anyway?  I hadn't thought of that.  Maybe this colder spring will pay off that way bit there's still 3 months to go where it will probably be sweltering.

2013-04-24 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4713558

User image

Regular
Tracker09 - 2013-04-24 1:42 PM

cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-04-24 11:44 AM Only that at the moment the race is wetsuit legal ;-)

Ha, true.   How often is this race wet suit legal on race day anyway?  I hadn't thought of that.  Maybe this colder spring will pay off that way bit there's still 3 months to go where it will probably be sweltering.

I believe, but stand by ready for correction, that in the 14 years of the race at Lake Placid 2011 was the only year the wetsuit/temperature rules came into play.  That year it was wetsuit optional.  Last year I wore a wetsuit and was comfortable -- the reported race day water temp was 73.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59