BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-07-02 10:08 AM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by jimmyb

Did a reverse brick today, 9 mile run followed by a 20 mile bike. Just felt like mixing things up a bit. My legs were pretty sore on the bike but I still managed a decent pace. I'm back on the night shift (day 2 of 7) and getting in my training is always a challenge with my sleep schedule turned upside down. I felt like a zombie during my run but still managed to pull it off, nonstop with the heat at 86 degrees. I am unable to get in an exercise after my shift as all I want to do is go home and sleep. I admire people that can do that. My fear is that I would get my adrenaline going and then be unable to get an adequate sleep afterward.

Well, I'm off to the ER to see an unending stream of patients. Doesn't anyone sleep at night anymore??

I'm also on night shift this week. I have tried training a few times after night shift, but I always find that it wakes me up too much, or I spend too much time faffing and go to bed too late to get a good sleep. I generally find that using my evening like a "normal" day for training works best for me. But we mostly only work 3 or 4 nights in a row, so it's less disruptive than a full week! You have my sympathies...

2013-07-02 12:27 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Planned 45 miles was cut short by the deluge that occurred at mule 16....still had to ride the 16 miles back home in a blinding downpour. Water going down the crack of your butt is an interesting feeling.

Watching the TdF time trials. Good googely they're fast.

Teacher summer is more than halfway over. Back to work on July 31...unless I win the lottery in the next 29 days.
2013-07-02 1:02 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by glfprncs . Water going down the crack of your butt is an interesting feeling. 

Sorry but I thought this was worth reposting.......

2013-07-02 1:46 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by glfprncs . Water going down the crack of your butt is an interesting feeling. 

The worst part is that when the rain slowed to a drizzle, there was so much water coming off my rear wheel that the water kept drenching the back of my shorts, and the water kept on trickling. It became a joke between my riding partner and me.
2013-07-02 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

I agree

It's started tipping down here too, but the forecast says just overnight and then it's going to be hot into the weekend. Hydration strategy here we come...

Was due to have a final sports massage this evening, but unfortunately she had a car problem and can't make it. I was looking forward to that So I'm off for an easy swim before work instead.
2013-07-02 2:54 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Short work week for me as office will be closed Thursday and Friday. We will be headed to the beach (only an hour away) where my in laws have a place on a bay just inland from from the Gulf of Mexico. Taking my bike so will be hoping to get some early morning training in each day before it gets hot.  Hope to get 2-3 OWS done in the Bay.

Had a good swim today at lunch. One of those workouts I was kind of dreading....even more so than most of my swim workouts. Went better than expected and got out of the pool feeling like I was making progress. Of course, since its swimming the next 10-15 workouts will be frustrating and I'll wonder what I'm doing wrong.   Tough bike session tonight and I'll be up early for track intervals in the morning before heading to work then sneaking out around lunch to get to the beach.

I know we have some racers this weekend. Anyone doing IM distance?

2013-07-02 3:45 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

We are heading to our house in Northern Wisconsin tomorrow through 7/12.  Can't wait.  No racing for me, just a bigger training block to keep me amused between boat rides. Cool

I'm having a hard time getting into the Tour this year,but I hope my passion is ignited watching the time trial tonight!

2013-07-02 7:41 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Watching the team time trial at the TDF. Wish they would do an equipment profile for each team. Would love to know what bike, wheels and components each of the teams are using.

Finished off the day with a good bike workout. Hit all my intervals.....hoping my track workout goes that well tomorrow morning.

2013-07-02 10:30 PM

User image

New user
2.4 mile jog and 15 mile bike, good day.

I haven't caught any TDF yet, I never have watched any but may start this year.

We got our puppy spayed yesterday so we have the 'conehead' thing for two weeks till stitches come out, aaarrrggghh.
Somehow we are supposed to keep her calm for a couple of days sigh......
2013-07-02 10:48 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
I was thinking the same thing I wish they would tell you all that information but its kind of fun guessing, but there are a lot of specialized bikes out there. Those guys are lighting fast.
2013-07-03 4:40 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Back to the training grind.....

Looking forward to Northern Michigan for the holiday and time off of the trainer.

I'm going to be racing an Olympic this Sunday. It is a local (to Up North place) race that I haven't done before. It should be fun.

2013-07-03 8:33 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Had a good interval workout on the track this morning. Last two days of workouts have been good. Had a hard swim, bike and run and all went well. Hope the rest of the week continues the same way.

Safe travels for everyone heading out on the roads!

2013-07-03 1:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

I read this at 2am (on night shift), and was thinking "that'll be me soon", then nearly panicked when it occurred to me that it's me now...

So yes, I'll be racing IM distance on Sunday.

There was an online tracker last year, but I'm not sure if it's going to be up again this year.

The good news I got today is they've cancelled me at work on Friday, so I'm travelling down Friday morning with my friend so we can register and ride part of the bike route :D Sunday is also now on the weather forecast and it says it'll be 25C (77F) with 5mph wind and no gusts. The temperature is a little higher than ideal, but I'm really pleased about the low wind as the bike course is flat and quite exposed in places.
2013-07-04 9:56 AM

User image

Champion
Sorry still been MIA. Life has been stressful getting settled in Prince George and starting residency. Making decisions....it sounds so trivial until you actually have to do it more or less yourself....let's put it that way...

Going to work on my RR from IMF....I'll post once I get it done...
2013-07-04 1:48 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by mndymond

Sorry still been MIA. Life has been stressful getting settled in Prince George and starting residency. Making decisions....it sounds so trivial until you actually have to do it more or less yourself....let's put it that way...

Going to work on my RR from IMF....I'll post once I get it done...

Welcome back! Good luck getting settled. I'm looking forward to that race report
2013-07-04 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Hey all, hope everyone in the US had a good 4th. Ours was pretty rainy, so not a ton of celebration, but still managed to get together with some friends and enjoy some food. I was also able to turn it off some with 3,500 yards in the pool and a 90-minute ride. I'm coming up on about 6 weeks away from IMLou, so I'm going to really focus on hanging out in here more!

2013-07-04 10:14 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Happy 4th everyone. I have been stuck at the hospital for the entire day so not so much fun for me. Managed to get in a run while at work so that is a positive.

Melissa--I will never forget my first morning as an intern. A nurse walked up to me and said, "DOCTOR, we have a problem with this patient, what would you like me to do?" I am sure the deer in the headlights look I gave her had her laughing later while talking with the other nurses. It took awhile to figure out which way was up.......

I am really looking forward to racing on Sunday. Something where I can hopefully just open things up and have a fast race. It is a retro-themed race. You are supposed to race in retro tri gear. I am so young in this sport that I don't really have any retro tri stuff. If I had a true speedo I might rock it but alas, I only have square cut and jammers.
2013-07-05 5:33 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by chapfallen

I read this at 2am (on night shift), and was thinking "that'll be me soon", then nearly panicked when it occurred to me that it's me now...

**so excited for you** safe travels and be sure to check in even if it's brief when you are finished!!

Jason - good luck on Sunday and leave the Speedo at home

My PT has been awesome and excruciating I have my local offroad tri this Tuesday that he's trying to get me ready for but if not, I have an on road one next Saturday. Can you tell I'm just doing all the ones I can find for experience? I'm just using them all as training and having a good time doing it.

Weather has been brutal here. Temps in the 90s and dew points in the low 70s. I'm going mountain biking today so hopefully I'll avoid some of the sun in the woods. Have a good friday, a good weekend and good luck Rachel, Jason and anyone else racing this weekend.
2013-07-05 7:34 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good morning! Crappy weather down at the Gulf. Did get a ride in yesterday and just finished a rainy run. Zero OWS so far due to conditions. Lots of reading and relaxing if the weather doesn't change.
2013-07-05 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Sounds like all the good weather is on this side of the Atlantic! Current forecast for sunday is now into the 80s and getting hotter... Hope everyone had an enjoyable 4th whatever you were doing.

We've been and registered, now sitting in our holiday cottage watching the Tour, hoping it'll get a little cooler before we head out for a very short recce on the bikes.
2013-07-05 11:08 AM

User image

Been enjoying my recovery week with shortish workouts and more than one rest day this week. I'm sure I'll pay for the relaxation of the week once Sunday rolls around.

The weather in the Augusta, GA weather has been crazy this summer. Rain literally every single day which resulted in a new record for the month of June (10+ inches). The good news is that reservoir above the dam is full pool for the first time since 2005, and we're no longer experiencing drought conditions. It's also made river swims (the Savannah River is where the swim portion of the Augusta 70.3 is located) quite brisk. A group swam on Tuesday or Wednesday this week and swam the 1.2 miles in 17 minutes. Turned around once he finished to swim back upstream a bit and the current was so brisk they actually couldn't make any headway.

Been dealing with 'old dog' stuff, too. My eldest boy, T.C., has both Cushing's disease and diabetes insipidus. He's been managed quite well with low doses of medication for both issues, but he's been exhibiting some odd behaviors that we believe to be neurological. It's quite possible that the small pituitary tumor which is causing both the Cushing's and the D.I. has become a macrotumor and is now pressing on certain areas of his brain and causing these new behaviors. This morning we had a grand time going to the Greeneway for a walk (and so he could pee on trees outside his neighborhood), stopped by the bank (and got a biscuit from the drive thru teller), and then came home and had some Frosty Paws (doggy ice cream). Sometimes it's the little things...

2013-07-05 11:39 AM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Back at work after the holiday and vacation, kind of glad it's over because my training suffered. On a positive note had a great birthday yesterday, got a garmin speed and cadance sensor for the bike the garmin foot pod, and an Adamo road saddle. Haven't really tried it out yet but hoping it helps some small issues I've had. Anyone else have an Adamo?
2013-07-05 11:57 AM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by mrajki

Back at work after the holiday and vacation, kind of glad it's over because my training suffered. On a positive note had a great birthday yesterday, got a garmin speed and cadance sensor for the bike the garmin foot pod, and an Adamo road saddle. Haven't really tried it out yet but hoping it helps some small issues I've had. Anyone else have an Adamo?

I have an Adamo and I love it. I had some real issues with my man parts losing all feeling when I sunk into aero. Once I got the Adamo, I never had that issue again.

I will say it took my body some getting used to. My particular Adamo saddle is a little wider than a normal one so my thighs had to get used to the pressure on them. After about a month, I was completely used to it and haven't had any problems.

Happy Birthday, by the way!
2013-07-05 3:13 PM

User image

Originally posted by chapfallen

There was an online tracker last year, but I'm not sure if it's going to be up again this year.

The good news I got today is they've cancelled me at work on Friday, so I'm travelling down Friday morning with my friend so we can register and ride part of the bike route :D Sunday is also now on the weather forecast and it says it'll be 25C (77F) with 5mph wind and no gusts. The temperature is a little higher than ideal, but I'm really pleased about the low wind as the bike course is flat and quite exposed in places.

Good luck! The weather is supposed to be quite warm in comparison to what it has been like, but I'm sure it'll only make it all more enjoyable Don't forget sun cream

Tuesday after my swim training I got talking to a girl from my tri club (whose background is mostly running) and realized I desperately needed a 'proper' rest/break. She was talking about when she was over training a few years back and started describing EXACTLY what I've been feeling: exhausted all the time, extreme fatigue any time of the day, getting slower on the workouts, putting weight on despite all the training, not really interested in training anymore...
I know my issue has to do more with lack of adequate rest and sleep than necessarily the training load - work and the family have just been really demanding lately, but I decided to take a few days off, after the swim on tuesday I cycled 20k and that has been me since, don't plan to do anything until sunday. I have also been trying to sleep as much as I can, so hoping it'll bring my 'mojo' back.

The good news is: in order to get me excited about going out on sunday I bought my first clipless pedals and bike shoes
2013-07-05 4:16 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Good luck to our racers this weekend!  report back with the details because we'll be waiting!  stay strong until the end!

Finished my first 5 hour ride of the season today.  Every time I finish that first one, I swear to myself I am going to become a short course athlete the following year.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88