BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-04-04 10:06 PM
in reply to: #1316874

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-04 5:22 PM

ok...met our newest teamy Greg...and MY OH MY! what a guy!!! (hey that ryhmes) . I have never been more grounded then by this amazing couple. Hope you will take a minute to go by my log and see the picture that I posted of our visit! hope everyone has a great Friday...and PRAY FOR STEPHANIE! I do believe in miracles and the power of prayer! she can (actually they both can) use our prayers and thoughts during this very difficult time of thier life! I am very fortunate to have been able to have been touched by such an amazing couple!!! Thanks Emerson for bringing them to our thread! LIFE IS GRAND! MAKE SURE TO LIVE IT TO ITS FULLEST!!!!

Oh plus who is going to meet me in Houston in September to do the triathlon in Stephanies honor!?!!? I will be signing up this week....and I have a place for us to stay...my parents have a little cabin in the national forest which is no more then 30 minutes away from the race...so who is in?!?! and if you can not make it...I am sure that Greg would love gladly take a small contribution....seeing it all goes to Cancer treatments and to families with cancer who are in need of some financial assistance! ok gotta go ride...then come back and get some work done!

What weekend in September Julie?  I would love to roadtrip to Houston.  I have never been there.  That would be cool.  And then we can road trip to AZ and meet up with Emerson...this is starting to sound like lots of fun  

2008-04-04 10:45 PM
in reply to: #1088860

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Good evening Everyone...

First and foremost, Julie what a nice thing you did today to go into the city and greet Gregg and Stephanie.  I am proud to call you my friend.

As to the party at my house, yes everyone is welcome and I hope you like good wine, good food and marvelous margaritas.  Life for me is simple, I work hard and relish every day... and we are a guilt free zone in my house.  If I am not here, just be sure to wash the dishes.

I guess I should be glad I did not do the bike challenge.  I try one peep a year, and then recall why I don't like peeps.  I am prepping for another race so I don't need a challenge at the moment, I will pick one up in May...

Pam, keep up the good work...  It is around 80, sunny and perfect here...  As to the Houston then AZ road trip, I will be back in AZ in last September.  If I make Houston, it will be from Cincinnati - uch.

Amy M, glad to hear you are out on your bike.  If you ever get to Cincinnati in the summer let me know.  I will be doing lots of biking over the summer.

Eric, thanks for the fly-bys on the inspires.  I appreciate your kind support.

Amy B, Hope the family and kids are doing well.

Gregg, I look forward to reading about your trip.  I love San Francisco...

Dee, You and your peeps...  Now I cannot tell who is who on the all the blogs, there are peeps everywhere...  you are too funny.

Mike, I hope you are out there somewhere doing well.

Now I need to get ready for my morning run, followed by an fundraiser that starts at 9:00 AM...  Be well all, Emerson

2008-04-05 12:50 AM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

Hey gang,

Just rolled back into town after a fabulous week. Meeting Julie today was tha bomb! She's incredible. After we went our separate ways, Stef and I were just kind of amazed by her outlook and all she's done and is doing in memory of Dorothy, support of her brother, love of her dad and more.

Our trip was wonderful - and a long way away from MD Anderson. As you know, last weekend I raced in my first race longer than a sprint. On Friday, I did a warmup swim, then we were walking to packet pickup when Stef's phone rang. The CT results last week show that her cancer has spread to her right lung and liver. She also discovered anther spot on her head that she didn't tell me about until tonight. This isn't going well. Based on other stuff we've been told, she's probably got 6-8 months. So the timing of this trip was huge. She still feels well enough to enjoy it.

We drank lots (and lots) of wonderful wine. The foundation put us up in a beautiful hotel and set up 2 wine tours that were incredible. One was a private tour of a winery that lasted 3 hrs - one of the owners is also a cancer survivor and may be at our Sept triathlon. She and her stepson (who lost his mom to cancer) were a delight to visit with. The other tour was of 4 wineries. While not private tours, we had our own driver so got to learn lots about the area. Our balloon flight was canceled due to shifting winds. We literally had the balloon on the ground and were airing it up when the winds shifted causing us to scrub the flight. Oh well. Something to look forward to for next time. I'll post pics on Picassa and share the link with you in a few days.

Tomorrow, we've got lots of catching up to do. I'm getting my road bike out of the shop and doing the 104 mile Space Race on Sunday. Next weekend is the MS150, then back to tri training. I've missed it this week, but am glad I had the week with Steph.

Live with intention,

Greg 

2008-04-05 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1317371

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Gregg,  I could not be happier for you that your week went so well.  We are all with you...  Emerson
2008-04-05 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well, if everyone here has not figured it out by now, you can't deny it... This is a very "special" group, and that is not just lip service. We all have very special gifts to give to one another, we are sharing parts of ourself with others that need us, and we are learning the true meaning of life...it's not how you die, but how you live and impact others. I truley believe that God brought us together for a purpose, and I think after this season we should make a date to meet as a group...I don't know the details, but think about it, how grand to give each other hugs and share some time together.

Ok, Houston sounds good, give me some details on the race date...

I am honored to be in a group of survivors and givers of joy...

Love from IN...
2008-04-05 8:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Since we have many that have been touched by cancer here I would like to know if there is somewhere special I should donate my hair, my plan is to give it to locks of love, but I didn't know if there is another special place anyone knew of?

Amy IN

2008-04-05 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1317507

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

amy mutz - 2008-04-05 8:15 AM Well, if everyone here has not figured it out by now, you can't deny it... This is a very "special" group, and that is not just lip service. We all have very special gifts to give to one another, we are sharing parts of ourself with others that need us, and we are learning the true meaning of life...it's not how you die, but how you live and impact others. I truley believe that God brought us together for a purpose, and I think after this season we should make a date to meet as a group...I don't know the details, but think about it, how grand to give each other hugs and share some time together. Ok, Houston sounds good, give me some details on the race date... I am honored to be in a group of survivors and givers of joy... Love from IN...

It's fun that Julie brought up the suggestion. After meeting her yesterday I was thinking that it would be fantastic if we could all converge on a race. I never thought it might be The Stef.

The Stephanie Johnson Tri For Life is on Sept 7. It is a baby sprint - 200 yd pool swim, 6 mi bike, 2 mi run. Theres also a kids race that is a 100 yd pool swim, 3 mi bike, 1 mi run. This year we are going to add the Stephanie's Kids Tot Trot, which will be about a 0.25 mile run for the kids under six (sshhh - that's not been announced yet - you guys are in the know). when they finish, I want them to get a t-shirt and a little "medal" - probably rubber or something. No awards - they are all winners. We will have 400 in the adult race and 200 in the kids race and a huge post race party.

The website for the race is www.TriUntilTheresACure.org.

I totally understand that a super sprint is not a big draw. This race however is not about the triathlon race. It's about the race to not only save lives, but to make life better for some who are in the heat of battle. Last year, 6 families were presented with a gift check of about $2500 that they could use as they please. We do give money to research, but to help offset all of the other expenses that insurance doesn't cover (loss of income, parking, gas, copays, one last trip, etc) was something we really wanted to do. Our goal this year is to give away $75,000. Huge goal. Hugely worth it.

Special group indeed!

Greg 

2008-04-05 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1317512

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

Locks of Love is the only one I know of. There are a lot of people in our neighborhood (including several school aged girls) that have grown their hair out. My little girl is trying too, but once it gets past her shoulders it gets stringy and kind of nasty. She does have quite a few friends that have. What a wonderful gift.

Though you can't see it, Stephanie has 2 large bald patches right now (she's talked publically about it so I'm ok to mention it). One is right on top of her head and the other is in the back - both a little bigger than the palm of your hand. Having hair pieces to help cover them and give her some alternatives with hair styles is a huge mental boost for her. For guys, hair's not that big of a deal. For ladies, it is. Heck, I may even grow my hair out for locks of love! lol I do think they are wonderful. 

2008-04-05 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

Greg,

I just finally had the chance to sit down and watch the video of your wife's triathlon.  Very inspiring and well done.  Have you thought about offering a ghost racer category?  This would let people "register" who might not actually be able to travel to the event.  Maybe charge $60 and send them a tshirt from the event?  You'd be getting a $50 donation since they wouldn't actually increase your event costs and they'd be paying for their own tshirt.  That might help with fundraising and allow some of your BT friends to be involved even if they can't actually be there.

You've set out on a really tough path but one that is so rewarding for so many people.  Your wife seems like an incredible woman and you are both very lucky to have each other! 

Eric

2008-04-05 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1317284

User image

Champion
Taser-World
etknowles - 2008-04-04 11:45 PM
  • ... I guess I should be glad I did not do the bike challenge. I try one peep a year, and then recall why I don't like peeps.....
  • ...Now I cannot tell who is who on the all the blogs, there are peeps everywhere...

• I finally broke down and bought a box of Peeps. (After the challenge, well, I had to try them, right?) Um. Yeah. It's marshmallow coated in colored sugar. They didn't even have a "yellow flavor." LOL

I've been really surprised at all the creativity that's occurred on the Peeps avatars. There are some really funny ones floating around.

2008-04-05 10:46 AM

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    Greg,

I am so sorry to hear about the Stef's CT results. I am glad, however, that the two of you were able to have such a great trip. It sounds like it was a really special week for both of you.

Good luck on Sunday!

2008-04-05 10:53 AM
    in reply to: #1317552

User image

Champion
    Taser-World
    mman - 2008-04-05 10:26 AM
    This race however is not about the triathlon race. It's about the race to not only save lives, but to make life better for some who are in the heat of battle. Last year, 6 families were presented with a gift check of about $2500 that they could use as they please. We do give money to research, but to help offset all of the other expenses that insurance doesn't cover (loss of income, parking, gas, copays, one last trip, etc) was something we really wanted to do. Our goal this year is to give away $75,000. Huge goal. Hugely worth it.

Great goal! You made a difference to those 6 families. Those extra items really add up. (Especially with the cost of gas now.)

2008-04-05 4:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tucson, AZ

amy mutz - 2008-04-05 6:15 AM Well, if everyone here has not figured it out by now, you can't deny it... This is a very "special" group, and that is not just lip service. We all have very special gifts to give to one another, we are sharing parts of ourself with others that need us, and we are learning the true meaning of life...it's not how you die, but how you live and impact others. I truly believe that God brought us together for a purpose, and I think after this season we should make a date to meet as a group...I don't know the details, but think about it, how grand to give each other hugs and share some time together. OK, Houston sounds good, give me some details on the race date... I am honored to be in a group of survivors and givers of joy... Love from IN...

Amy, and everyone else, two things to ponder.

1)  I too believe this is a special group.  I have no desire to have some arbitrary date put and end to our support of one another.  I facilitate professional support groups inside of Smith Barney and one has now run for over five years.  There are a handful of original members and as folks fall off, new ones are added from those we already know -- like we did with Gregg -- who we know will reflect well the things we share and value.  No offense to anyone else on BT, but I would prefer we just figured out how to "recharge, restart and re-invent" ourselves every three to six months.  I would consider it a privilege to stick around as long as you guys will have me.

2)  As to getting together... Great idea but usually takes a focal point.  I have done the same thing with several of our call groups from SB.  When there is an event at a competitive major airport hub that is your best shot.  Such as, Julie and Gregg will be in Houston on 9/7.  Houston is a pretty cheap place to get to.  Julie and I will be in Phoenix next week.  Phoenix is a cheap hub.  Never pick Cincinnati, it is never cheep to get to and from Cincinnati.  If there is a race or event later this year or next year that we all might like to do, or many of us might like to do, then we converge on that event.  It is too bad the Buck Creek dropped the Oly tri.  Dayton is cheap to fly to and there is an event that used to have an OLY and HIM and lots of smaller races all together... That may be our best shot to make it happen.  There has to be some "middle of the U.S." place that does this????

Besides that, I do have a standing offer for anyone to visit in Tucson.  I will be in Cincinnati for the summer but who wants to visit AZ in July??? I return in September.  It is a short drive for Amy B, a short flight for Julie.  And for the rest of you, the winter here is pretty nice.  Fly into Phoenix and drive down or fly into Tucson and drive up... it all works.  God willing we will build a casita (guest house) next fall or winter.

I enjoy our range of age, a couple of other old farts close to my age, lots in the middle with kids and one kid -- sorry Pam but you are younger than my youngest, so that makes you a kid to me.  A bright and wonderful kid but still a kid.  And, our wide range of expertise... This is a cool thing!

I look forward to your thoughts.  Emerson

Edited by etknowles 2008-04-05 4:52 PM
    2008-04-05 4:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tucson, AZ

From Gregg's blog note:   I totally understand that a super sprint is not a big draw. This race however is not about the triathlon race. It's about the race to not only save lives, but to make life better for some who are in the heat of battle. Last year, 6 families were presented with a gift check of about $2500 that they could use as they please. We do give money to research, but to help offset all of the other expenses that insurance doesn't cover (loss of income, parking, gas, copays, one last trip, etc) was something we really wanted to do. Our goal this year is to give away $75,000. Huge goal. Hugely worth it.

Greg, in thinking about your race.  I would love to be there... And I might be there... but it also would be very effective to your effort if I donated what it would cost to get there...  Eric has a good point about finding a way to participate without flying to Houston.  It might add a lot to your fund-raising.  A group of athletes who went to the Oceanside HIM put up a site for the Challenged Athlete Foundation and raised $165,000.  I knew three from BT and supported all of them.  If we did a phantom team through Kintara you might be able to replicate that for those of us in and out of town... Food for thought, Emerson

PS:  Here is a link to that fundraising site...

http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/faf/search/searchTeamPart.asp?ievent=262594&lis=1&kntae262594=FFAD8C39A7734882B722277339751BCA&team=2692360

Edited by etknowles 2008-04-05 4:51 PM
    2008-04-05 5:46 PM
    in reply to: #1317912

User image

Expert
    Spring (Houston), TX
    etknowles - 2008-04-05 4:48 PM

From Gregg's blog note: I totally understand that a super sprint is not a big draw. This race however is not about the triathlon race. It's about the race to not only save lives, but to make life better for some who are in the heat of battle. Last year, 6 families were presented with a gift check of about $2500 that they could use as they please. We do give money to research, but to help offset all of the other expenses that insurance doesn't cover (loss of income, parking, gas, copays, one last trip, etc) was something we really wanted to do. Our goal this year is to give away $75,000. Huge goal. Hugely worth it.

Greg, in thinking about your race. I would love to be there... And I might be there... but it also would be very effective to your effort if I donated what it would cost to get there... Eric has a good point about finding a way to participate without flying to Houston. It might add a lot to your fund-raising. A group of athletes who went to the Oceanside HIM put up a site for the Challenged Athlete Foundation and raised $165,000. I knew three from BT and supported all of them. If we did a phantom team through Kintara you might be able to replicate that for those of us in and out of town... Food for thought, Emerson

PS: Here is a link to that fundraising site...

http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/faf/search/searchTeamPart.asp?ievent=262594&lis=1&kntae262594=FFAD8C39A7734882B722277339751BCA&team=2692360

I loved Eric's idea and immediately sent it out to the key leaders helping me put it on. What I'm thinking is that people could either participate as Eric suggested (donate and get a t-shirt), or even run the tri on their own - indoors or out, anytime over the weekend. Their times wouldn't be considered for awards, but they could submit them and have them posted on our website (if I can figure that out). We had a lot of people that wanted to participate last year but couldn't because of religious convictions and the event being on a Sunday. In addition to being an event for a great cause, I also try to make it super beginner friendly, so maybe BT peeps will not only support it, but it gives them an easy way to introduce someone to the sport who says, "I could never do that". Not as much fun as actually racing, but who knows. Just my overactive, dream big brain running today.

2008-04-05 5:54 PM
    in reply to: #1317900

User image

Expert
    Spring (Houston), TX
    etknowles - 2008-04-05 4:39 PM

amy mutz - 2008-04-05 6:15 AM Well, if everyone here has not figured it out by now, you can't deny it... This is a very "special" group, and that is not just lip service. We all have very special gifts to give to one another, we are sharing parts of ourself with others that need us, and we are learning the true meaning of life...it's not how you die, but how you live and impact others. I truly believe that God brought us together for a purpose, and I think after this season we should make a date to meet as a group...I don't know the details, but think about it, how grand to give each other hugs and share some time together. OK, Houston sounds good, give me some details on the race date... I am honored to be in a group of survivors and givers of joy... Love from IN...

1) I too believe this is a special group. I have no desire to have some arbitrary date put and end to our support of one another. I facilitate professional support groups inside of Smith Barney and one has now run for over five years. There are a handful of original members and as folks fall off, new ones are added from those we already know -- like we did with Gregg -- who we know will reflect well the things we share and value. No offense to anyone else on BT, but I would prefer we just figured out how to "recharge, restart and re-invent" ourselves every three to six months. I would consider it a privilege to stick around as long as you guys will have me.

2) As to getting together... Great idea but usually takes a focal point. I have done the same thing with several of our call groups from SB. When there is an event at a competitive major airport hub that is your best shot. Such as, Julie and Gregg will be in Houston on 9/7. Houston is a pretty cheap place to get to. Julie and I will be in Phoenix next week. Phoenix is a cheap hub. Never pick Cincinnati, it is never cheep to get to and from Cincinnati. If there is a race or event later this year or next year that we all might like to do, or many of us might like to do, then we converge on that event. It is too bad the Buck Creek dropped the Oly tri. Dayton is cheap to fly to and there is an event that used to have an OLY and HIM and lots of smaller races all together... That may be our best shot to make it happen. There has to be some "middle of the U.S." place that does this????

Besides that, I do have a standing offer for anyone to visit in Tucson. I will be in Cincinnati for the summer but who wants to visit AZ in July??? I return in September. It is a short drive for Amy B, a short flight for Julie. And for the rest of you, the winter here is pretty nice. Fly into Phoenix and drive down or fly into Tucson and drive up... it all works. God willing we will build a casita (guest house) next fall or winter.

I enjoy our range of age, a couple of other old farts close to my age, lots in the middle with kids and one kid -- sorry Pam but you are younger than my youngest, so that makes you a kid to me. A bright and wonderful kid but still a kid. And, our wide range of expertise... This is a cool thing!

I look forward to your thoughts. Emerson

Definitely agree that a major hub is easier and more affordable. If it happens to be where one of us lives, that also gives a "home base" to work from that could help cut costs too (place to eat, crash, hang out, whatever). Or, we may like all being away from home - that has appeal too. I find traveling to a race to be a lot of fun compared to always racing in town. Also, if we look for a larger Tri Festival, it will give a variety of distances so some could go short and some could go long  if that made a difference to them. Endorfun (just put on Lonestar) has several races around the country. TriAmerica does too, but mainly in FL I think. Lifetime Fitness is another idea - I know they have a race in Dallas in the Fall and have heard they are a big deal. I think they may have one in Chicago too. I know other event planners have tri festivals instead of just 1 race on the weekend, but those are the ones I know of.

Greg

p.s. As Emerson offered, you all have a standing invite to stay at my house when you are in Houston. I don't have a Casita, but do have a spare bed room, the media room can be closed off, we can force kids onto the floor (they think its a treat) or whatever.  We love to entertain, so would be a treat.

2008-04-05 11:17 PM

User image

Master
    Mishicot, Wisconsin
    etknowles - 2008-04-05 4:39 PM

1) I too believe this is a special group. I have no desire to have some arbitrary date put and end to our support of one another. I facilitate professional support groups inside of Smith Barney and one has now run for over five years. There are a handful of original members and as folks fall off, new ones are added from those we already know -- like we did with Gregg -- who we know will reflect well the things we share and value. No offense to anyone else on BT, but I would prefer we just figured out how to "recharge, restart and re-invent" ourselves every three to six months. I would consider it a privilege to stick around as long as you guys will have me.

2) As to getting together... Great idea but usually takes a focal point. I have done the same thing with several of our call groups from SB. When there is an event at a competitive major airport hub that is your best shot. Such as, Julie and Gregg will be in Houston on 9/7. Houston is a pretty cheap place to get to. Julie and I will be in Phoenix next week. Phoenix is a cheap hub. Never pick Cincinnati, it is never cheep to get to and from Cincinnati. If there is a race or event later this year or next year that we all might like to do, or many of us might like to do, then we converge on that event. It is too bad the Buck Creek dropped the Oly tri. Dayton is cheap to fly to and there is an event that used to have an OLY and HIM and lots of smaller races all together... That may be our best shot to make it happen. There has to be some "middle of the U.S." place that does this????

Besides that, I do have a standing offer for anyone to visit in Tucson. I will be in Cincinnati for the summer but who wants to visit AZ in July??? I return in September. It is a short drive for Amy B, a short flight for Julie. And for the rest of you, the winter here is pretty nice. Fly into Phoenix and drive down or fly into Tucson and drive up... it all works. God willing we will build a casita (guest house) next fall or winter.

I enjoy our range of age, a couple of other old farts close to my age, lots in the middle with kids and one kid -- sorry Pam but you are younger than my youngest, so that makes you a kid to me. A bright and wonderful kid but still a kid. And, our wide range of expertise... This is a cool thing!

I look forward to your thoughts. Emerson

Emerson,

I take no offense...somedays it is very nice being a kid and somedays you just want to grow up.  As for staying with the group...you guys are my new BT family and would love to stay on with you as long as possible.  I have lived for the inspiration and love the time I get to share with everyone.  I have no where near experienced what many of the group members have here...but the stories I feel have made me stronger and more conscious of the life I live very day.  Have a good night everyone!

2008-04-06 11:20 AM
    in reply to: #1317259

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California
    crea0029 - 2008-04-04 8:06 PM
    Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-04 5:22 PM

ok...met our newest teamy Greg...and MY OH MY! what a guy!!! (hey that ryhmes) . I have never been more grounded then by this amazing couple. Hope you will take a minute to go by my log and see the picture that I posted of our visit! hope everyone has a great Friday...and PRAY FOR STEPHANIE! I do believe in miracles and the power of prayer! she can (actually they both can) use our prayers and thoughts during this very difficult time of thier life! I am very fortunate to have been able to have been touched by such an amazing couple!!! Thanks Emerson for bringing them to our thread! LIFE IS GRAND! MAKE SURE TO LIVE IT TO ITS FULLEST!!!!

Oh plus who is going to meet me in Houston in September to do the triathlon in Stephanies honor!?!!? I will be signing up this week....and I have a place for us to stay...my parents have a little cabin in the national forest which is no more then 30 minutes away from the race...so who is in?!?! and if you can not make it...I am sure that Greg would love gladly take a small contribution....seeing it all goes to Cancer treatments and to families with cancer who are in need of some financial assistance! ok gotta go ride...then come back and get some work done!

What weekend in September Julie?  I would love to roadtrip to Houston.  I have never been there.  That would be cool.  And then we can road trip to AZ and meet up with Emerson...this is starting to sound like lots of fun  

it is Septemer 7th....I have already talked my brother and sister in doing it...my sister had no intentions of doing a tri...even though since Dorothy passed away in November she now rides 75 miles+ on the weekends...and is a spin class addict...she has committed to getting to the pool so that she can swim the short distance it is....Greg it is only 200m right? anyways...I will be signing up as soon as I return. I would love it if you came! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try...and what a great GREAT cause!!

2008-04-06 11:53 AM

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California
    mman - 2008-04-04 10:50 PM

Hey gang,

Just rolled back into town after a fabulous week. Meeting Julie today was tha bomb! She's incredible. After we went our separate ways, Stef and I were just kind of amazed by her outlook and all she's done and is doing in memory of Dorothy, support of her brother, love of her dad and more.

Our trip was wonderful - and a long way away from MD Anderson. As you know, last weekend I raced in my first race longer than a sprint. On Friday, I did a warmup swim, then we were walking to packet pickup when Stef's phone rang. The CT results last week show that her cancer has spread to her right lung and liver. She also discovered anther spot on her head that she didn't tell me about until tonight. This isn't going well. Based on other stuff we've been told, she's probably got 6-8 months. So the timing of this trip was huge. She still feels well enough to enjoy it.

We drank lots (and lots) of wonderful wine. The foundation put us up in a beautiful hotel and set up 2 wine tours that were incredible. One was a private tour of a winery that lasted 3 hrs - one of the owners is also a cancer survivor and may be at our Sept triathlon. She and her stepson (who lost his mom to cancer) were a delight to visit with. The other tour was of 4 wineries. While not private tours, we had our own driver so got to learn lots about the area. Our balloon flight was canceled due to shifting winds. We literally had the balloon on the ground and were airing it up when the winds shifted causing us to scrub the flight. Oh well. Something to look forward to for next time. I'll post pics on Picassa and share the link with you in a few days.

Tomorrow, we've got lots of catching up to do. I'm getting my road bike out of the shop and doing the 104 mile Space Race on Sunday. Next weekend is the MS150, then back to tri training. I've missed it this week, but am glad I had the week with Steph.

Live with intention,

Greg 

Can I just say that you two...(Steph and you) have touched me like no other! I am soooo glad that we met! Stephanie is the most amazing lady! She has the most amazing outlook  and I just hope that if I ever face such a hard and extrenuous circumstance in my life that I can face them with the courage and strength that she exemplifies. You two are such beautiful people - inside and out!!!

Greg, I told you I will be there for your race, and since our meeting on Friday, I have got my soon to be ironman brother and my older sister - as well as my daughter to commit to doing it! I am also trying to get others on my challenge team to participate - and quite possibly will be starting a special thread with just those intentions! My parents have a cabin that is in off of hwy 105 near Montgomery (Lake Conroe Area)....and I have an open invitation for those of you who want to come and race for this great cause to come and stay there!!!!! It is only a one bedroom, but it has four beds and lots of floor space, not to mention the yard that surrounds us....We even have a big pool that we can swim in...and lots of great trails for biking and running on! (that would be mtn biking trails - because they are all dirt). There is even a lake 1/4 mile down the road for those of you who would rather go for that OWS!

Could you send me a sponsor packet? hope to help you gain a few sponsors from some of my old race buddies and from the one race a year that I still help out with...and if you can send me one quickly, I will even hit up some of the booths at the Arizona Ironman this next weekend.

Thanks for touching my life Greg! I have such a better outlook on life and realize that my small problems...are just that...small problems!

2008-04-06 11:56 AM

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California

amy mutz - 2008-04-05 6:15 AM Well, if everyone here has not figured it out by now, you can't deny it... This is a very "special" group, and that is not just lip service. We all have very special gifts to give to one another, we are sharing parts of ourself with others that need us, and we are learning the true meaning of life...it's not how you die, but how you live and impact others. I truley believe that God brought us together for a purpose, and I think after this season we should make a date to meet as a group...I don't know the details, but think about it, how grand to give each other hugs and share some time together. Ok, Houston sounds good, give me some details on the race date... I am honored to be in a group of survivors and givers of joy... Love from IN...

Amy- that is a great idea...and very nicely put! so, looks like either you will have to come and do that hugging in Houston for this special Tri that Greg puts on for Stephanie...or PARTAY at Emersons! woo hoo!

2008-04-06 12:02 PM

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California
    mman - 2008-04-05 7:26 AM

amy mutz - 2008-04-05 8:15 AM Well, if everyone here has not figured it out by now, you can't deny it... This is a very "special" group, and that is not just lip service. We all have very special gifts to give to one another, we are sharing parts of ourself with others that need us, and we are learning the true meaning of life...it's not how you die, but how you live and impact others. I truley believe that God brought us together for a purpose, and I think after this season we should make a date to meet as a group...I don't know the details, but think about it, how grand to give each other hugs and share some time together. Ok, Houston sounds good, give me some details on the race date... I am honored to be in a group of survivors and givers of joy... Love from IN...

It's fun that Julie brought up the suggestion. After meeting her yesterday I was thinking that it would be fantastic if we could all converge on a race. I never thought it might be The Stef.

The Stephanie Johnson Tri For Life is on Sept 7. It is a baby sprint - 200 yd pool swim, 6 mi bike, 2 mi run. Theres also a kids race that is a 100 yd pool swim, 3 mi bike, 1 mi run. This year we are going to add the Stephanie's Kids Tot Trot, which will be about a 0.25 mile run for the kids under six (sshhh - that's not been announced yet - you guys are in the know). when they finish, I want them to get a t-shirt and a little "medal" - probably rubber or something. No awards - they are all winners. We will have 400 in the adult race and 200 in the kids race and a huge post race party.

The website for the race is www.TriUntilTheresACure.org.

I totally understand that a super sprint is not a big draw. This race however is not about the triathlon race. It's about the race to not only save lives, but to make life better for some who are in the heat of battle. Last year, 6 families were presented with a gift check of about $2500 that they could use as they please. We do give money to research, but to help offset all of the other expenses that insurance doesn't cover (loss of income, parking, gas, copays, one last trip, etc) was something we really wanted to do. Our goal this year is to give away $75,000. Huge goal. Hugely worth it.

Special group indeed!

Greg 

Greg...one thing we do for the kiddos at our race is we find local sponsors to give them gift certificates...(the race that I am involved with we get Pizza Hut, the local bike shops, Chuck E Cheese...to donate gift certificates for  personal pan pizzas....and things of that sort). I have been in charge of the kids race for the past 10 + years...and would love to help you with yours if you so desire. Let me know!!

2008-04-06 12:04 PM
    in reply to: #1317558

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California
    medic0020 - 2008-04-05 7:34 AM

Greg,

I just finally had the chance to sit down and watch the video of your wife's triathlon.  Very inspiring and well done.  Have you thought about offering a ghost racer category?  This would let people "register" who might not actually be able to travel to the event.  Maybe charge $60 and send them a tshirt from the event?  You'd be getting a $50 donation since they wouldn't actually increase your event costs and they'd be paying for their own tshirt.  That might help with fundraising and allow some of your BT friends to be involved even if they can't actually be there.

You've set out on a really tough path but one that is so rewarding for so many people.  Your wife seems like an incredible woman and you are both very lucky to have each other! 

Eric

that is a great idea Eric! now is that why you are our fearless leader!?!?!

2008-04-06 12:05 PM
    in reply to: #1317625

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California

D001 - 2008-04-05 8:45 AM
    etknowles - 2008-04-04 11:45 PM .... I guess I should be glad I did not do the bike challenge. I try one peep a year, and then recall why I don't like peeps..... ....Now I cannot tell who is who on the all the blogs, there are peeps everywhere...
    I finally broke down and bought a box of Peeps. (After the challenge, well, I had to try them, right?) Um. Yeah. It's marshmallow coated in colored sugar. They didn't even have a "yellow flavor." LOL I've been really surprised at all the creativity that's occurred on the Peeps avatars. There are some really funny ones floating around.

yes indeed!!!!

2008-04-06 12:15 PM

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California
    etknowles - 2008-04-05 2:39 PM

1)  I too believe this is a special group.  I have no desire to have some arbitrary date put and end to our support of one another.  I facilitate professional support groups inside of Smith Barney and one has now run for over five years.  There are a handful of original members and as folks fall off, new ones are added from those we already know -- like we did with Gregg -- who we know will reflect well the things we share and value.  No offense to anyone else on BT, but I would prefer we just figured out how to "recharge, restart and re-invent" ourselves every three to six months.  I would consider it a privilege to stick around as long as you guys will have me.

2)  As to getting together... Great idea but usually takes a focal point.  I have done the same thing with several of our call groups from SB.  When there is an event at a competitive major airport hub that is your best shot.  Such as, Julie and Gregg will be in Houston on 9/7.  Houston is a pretty cheap place to get to.  Julie and I will be in Phoenix next week.  Phoenix is a cheap hub.  Never pick Cincinnati, it is never cheep to get to and from Cincinnati.  If there is a race or event later this year or next year that we all might like to do, or many of us might like to do, then we converge on that event.  It is too bad the Buck Creek dropped the Oly tri.  Dayton is cheap to fly to and there is an event that used to have an OLY and HIM and lots of smaller races all together... That may be our best shot to make it happen.  There has to be some "middle of the U.S." place that does this????

Besides that, I do have a standing offer for anyone to visit in Tucson.  I will be in Cincinnati for the summer but who wants to visit AZ in July??? I return in September.  It is a short drive for Amy B, a short flight for Julie.  And for the rest of you, the winter here is pretty nice.  Fly into Phoenix and drive down or fly into Tucson and drive up... it all works.  God willing we will build a casita (guest house) next fall or winter.

I enjoy our range of age, a couple of other old farts close to my age, lots in the middle with kids and one kid -- sorry Pam but you are younger than my youngest, so that makes you a kid to me.  A bright and wonderful kid but still a kid.  And, our wide range of expertise... This is a cool thing!

I look forward to your thoughts.  Emerson

THOUGHTS!!! my thoughts are YAY! lets do it! start naming the races guys....one thing that Emerson didn't mention is that we have three airports coming into the Bay Area...San Franciso International, San Jose Minetta and Oakland International...so, we get lots of great deals to all. I am smack dab between SF and SJ and only 30-45 mins from Oakland...so, we can also plan a trip to my parts...and although I have a small home, each and everyone of you are welcome to hold up here! Only two bedrooms, so you will have to fight for the comfy king bed...or share! I am going to pull up local races and try and find a few that will peak enough of your interest to get you to book a trip and come this way!! I am open to go other places...and always willing to visit new areas...so, you guys all do the same!!! time to meet the rest of this awesome group!!! you are all so lava-ly...sorry had to throw that one in...I am on Team Lava for the challenge this month!

2008-04-06 12:23 PM
    in reply to: #1317969

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California

I loved Eric's idea and immediately sent it out to the key leaders helping me put it on. What I'm thinking is that people could either participate as Eric suggested (donate and get a t-shirt), or even run the tri on their own - indoors or out, anytime over the weekend. Their times wouldn't be considered for awards, but they could submit them and have them posted on our website (if I can figure that out). We had a lot of people that wanted to participate last year but couldn't because of religious convictions and the event being on a Sunday. In addition to being an event for a great cause, I also try to make it super beginner friendly, so maybe BT peeps will not only support it, but it gives them an easy way to introduce someone to the sport who says, "I could never do that". Not as much fun as actually racing, but who knows. Just my overactive, dream big brain running today.

absolutely great idea! I actually talked my sister who said that she has or had no intentions of doing a tri has already commited to doing this! I may even be able to talk a few of my old Houston buddies to do this! and Greg, whatever I can do to help you with the behind the scenes preparation...I would love to help!!

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  

of 73