BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-03-20 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed

Hi Gang, wow things are really starting to get close for some of you!!! Lots of nervous excitement on here..."what to wear...what to wear!?!?!"

Abe, I am by no means a veteran, but I will throw my opinion out FWIW.. I would concentrate on the "Tri- Specific" training with your race coming up. Remember..the best way to get better at Swimming, Biking, and Running ,is to swim bike and run. Don't forget to taper that last week or two!

I went to my first PT apoinment today. "When I met my PT, I just looked at him and said, "Okay we are not gonna hurt each other today, are we." He laughed and took it with the humor that was meant. he started off by putting me through some certain test to see where it hurt and what caused the pain. He then put me thorugh some Electro and heat therapy. I then did 20 mintes on a " Nu-step." It's like a recumbent stair stepper. After that he showed me some strtches he wants me to do. Next apointment is 0900 Friday. he told me no running, no riding  and for the next few days he did not even want me to swim. Dammit! Oh well I am gonna follow his orders to a "T".

Denny thanks for the web site. I am gonna pas that on to my wife. She has a hard time buying bras, and we have never ever been able to find her a sports bra.

Hope every one is taking care and ...Train Smart!

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-03-20 12:21 PM

2008-03-21 11:37 AM
in reply to: #1283072

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Easter weekend. I'll be away from the laptop and will probably have withdrawls. I plan on running and biking though. See you on the other side of the bunny.

Happy training to you all.
~Lynn
2008-03-21 1:54 PM
in reply to: #1281980

User image

Los Angeles
denny.l - 2008-03-19 7:06 PM

Man..I wish I could come to LA. My Austin Danskin is June 8th...I don't think I could do both! I love Disneyland.

Just to throw my attire experience in: I have some tri shorts and wore a stretchy tank to my race last year.  I thew a t shirt on over the top for the mini that I did and that was a mistake.  The tank was not coolmax, drifit or other wiking fast drying fabric and I won't wear it again.  It retained too much moisture and was heavy in the swim.  I am looking for something else.  I have a great bra (sorry guys if this is too much info) It's a Nike Revolutionary sports bra. It dries really fast. I get a catalog from a company called title9 It has the best selection of bras I've seen.  I am thinking about getting a tri suit.  I've got to decide on something quickly! Nine days to the race!

There is a lot of hard work going in out there. You guys are doing great!

Les 

Wish I could do the Danskin in Austin. Would be good to go back!

Les, best of luck in the race! Have fun!

2008-03-21 8:27 PM

User image

Sorry I have been MIA for the past few days.  I was in hell Waterloo, IA.

OK... Who here is a TI swimmer?  I am!  TI DOES teach you to pull with your arms.  It teaches you to rotate AND pull.  It DOES teach you not to kick... which is why its good for triathletes.  No kick means more energy for the other 2 sports that require legs. 

The rotation simply makes your body longer in the water... and more efficient.  The power of your swim stroke will pull you through the water.  Pull and pull hard.  You aren't going to use your arms in the bike/run and save your energy by rotating.  It creates less drag when you pull.

As far as tri clothes go... tri shorts.  Don't leave home without them.  The top is up to you, but a one piece suit looks awful on everyone.  I have one that is black and white and I call it my Shamu suit.  I look like a whale.

Honestly, I have found the less clothes I wear, the better off I am.  Seriously.  Wardrobe malfunctions on race day are not fun.  Chafing sucks.  I like my Javelin team suit, and I did my half last year in this bikini thing... (it has a built in bra that is wonderful, but I don't have much to hold up. [Ear muffs, guys...])

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=8129&photoid=61982

No chafing to worry about, but I did have that smiley face sunburned into the back of my calf for 3 months.

2008-03-22 7:04 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Robyn, thanks for all the info. Welcome back to Michigan and a white Easter! I am still looking for a good tri top/bra (unfortunately or fortunately, I have mt. everest and her twin to support). If anyone knows of a good bra that dries fairly quick, I would appreciate the suggestions. I wear moving comfort(does not dry quickly) and Enell(too supportive to swim comfortably).

I have a wet suit question. A friend emailed me a 50% off coupon for a xterra wetsuit. I am seriously considering it. My first outdoor tri is June 22 in Michigan. It is a sprint tri. Would you invest the money or rent? Would you get full sleeve or sleeveless? Would you wear one for such a short swim? Is it worth the time in T1 or should I just suck it up and not bother with the wetsuit?

My indoor tri is next weekend and I am freaking out with nerves. Please send my lots of good motivational vibes. Good luck to all with upcoming tri's and Happy Easter to all!!!! jo
2008-03-22 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1286949

User image

Eastern PA
jogo - 2008-03-22 8:04 AM

Robyn, thanks for all the info. Welcome back to Michigan and a white Easter! I am still looking for a good tri top/bra (unfortunately or fortunately, I have mt. everest and her twin to support). If anyone knows of a good bra that dries fairly quick, I would appreciate the suggestions. I wear moving comfort(does not dry quickly) and Enell(too supportive to swim comfortably).

I have a wet suit question. A friend emailed me a 50% off coupon for a xterra wetsuit. I am seriously considering it. My first outdoor tri is June 22 in Michigan. It is a sprint tri. Would you invest the money or rent? Would you get full sleeve or sleeveless? Would you wear one for such a short swim? Is it worth the time in T1 or should I just suck it up and not bother with the wetsuit?

These are my questions too! So any help/answers would be dual-ly appreciated. My tri is in a lake at the end of May in PA (60-65degF?) and currently planning on not using a wetsuit, however I have been stressing about that decision. I really don't like to be cold. On the bra issue, I purchased a Champion Powerback which seems GREAT dry, but have no idea how it will fare during the race. I definitely need one that comes in cup sizes which results in limited choices.
So basically, ditto to jogo~
Thanks in advance, Leticia

2008-03-23 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1287018

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
HAPPY EASTER
2008-03-23 9:31 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm still waiting for one of the guys to open up an open discussion about "support issues" to match the women's conversations!!
2008-03-23 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1288748

User image

Veteran

.... and in case anyone cares, we got 15 inches of snow on Friday....after i got all geared up last week with my bike thinking spring was coming....48 tomorrow so that will help....4 weeks from my first event and can't get outside yet 

2008-03-24 12:34 PM
in reply to: #1288748

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

aber4 - 2008-03-23 9:31 PM I'm still waiting for one of the guys to open up an open discussion about "support issues" to match the women's conversations!!

LMAO!!!!

2008-03-24 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
I thought we already had that discussion with the Borat thong.

2008-03-24 4:08 PM

User image

How many of you guys are Michigan folks?  I am!

Wetsuits:  wear them if you can.  Its not so much about the cold as it is about the buoyancy.  It sure does help with the cold, though.  WEAR them if you can.

wetsuitrental.com.  You can try out an Xterra wetsuit before you buy it.  Its $40, plus whatever it costs you to send it back.  Not a shabby deal. 

2008-03-24 6:44 PM

Veteran
hi everyone!

Hope everyone had a nice holiday. Sorry i have been inactive lately. I have been slacking on updating my logs too, but this week im going to try to make time! I was really busy last week, so i had minimal computer time!

2008-03-24 9:37 PM
in reply to: #1290107

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

denny.l - 2008-03-24 2:17 PM I thought we already had that discussion with the Borat thong.

And that is why I have no support issues.Laughing

2008-03-25 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1291110

User image

ditchdoc - 2008-03-24 9:37 PM

denny.l - 2008-03-24 2:17 PM I thought we already had that discussion with the Borat thong.

That's good support.

Do guys really have "support" issues?  I mean, really?

2008-03-25 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1291569

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
triOK - 2008-03-25 8:47 AM
ditchdoc - 2008-03-24 9:37 PM

That's good support.

Do guys really have "support" issues?  I mean, really?

Yea, I have a support issue, I did not marry a woman rich enough to support me and my hobbies / habits.

J/K.Laughing

It actually depends on the activity... but yes at times the "boys" need support.

2008-03-25 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Crap....I should have NEVER steered the conversation down this path!!!
2008-03-25 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran

Well...I made a big commitment to sticking with this sport over the summer...I signed up with a coach!!!  Just kind of felt like just a gradual increasing time workout was not working for me....30 minute run can mean a lot of different things...I seemed to be going backwards.  Had my first swimming lesson with him today (can you believe I drove 3 hours for a 1 hour swimming lesson?)  I really think it was huge for me...now if I can apply some of the things that I learned...i learned alot from TI books and videos but then would get in the pool and couldn't really tell what i was doing right and what sucked.   By the end of the hour we had done some basic things enough that I can now "feel" when I do a couple strokes well and when something falls apart....I'm sure it will take months to get consistent but at least he's giving me the information to make changes as I go.  We'll see how it goes but I guess I'm in this til September!!!!

....and also figured out when we had our nutrition talks that my diet was a huge problem in my early fatigue I've had the last couple weeks compared to some of the workouts i was doing 6 weeks ago. 

2008-03-26 12:37 AM

User image

Denver,CO
Hi everyone. am back. I have been all over the place these last few weeks. So now I am serious about training again.

I swam tonight and after not having swam for 3 weeks I am wiped. I will have to build up my stamina again.

My first mini tri is May 17th.

I would love to have the info on the quick dry boulder holders.

2008-03-26 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

I know this is a totally moronic question, but here goes:

So, if you wear shorts and a top under a wetsuit, will they get wet from being in the water?

Go easy on me...

Lora

2008-03-26 8:25 AM
in reply to: #1294211

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT

Definitely not a moronic question.  Yes, everything will get wet, and likely within 30 seconds.  That's actually why it's called a "wet" suit believe or not.  A wet suit is designed to allow "some" water in, as opposed to a "dry" suit which won't allow any water in whatsoever.  The "dry" suits are what's used in cold water scuba diving for example.  Just make sure the wet suit fits properly, it should allow some water on but not too much.  Too much will take away from the buoyancy factor and make you drag through the water. 

Hope that helps! 

2008-03-26 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Great to see more acitivity on the list. I just signed on to my food diary to log in my nutrition (in and out)... so we shall see. I am going to the doc today for my hip... I have narrowed it down to either hip bursitis or tendonitis. Timing isn't great because my sprint tri is on April 20th and I have had to go easy on running as of late.

BTW... my moronic question is how in the heck to I put my short and long term goals into my log????

Congrats on your first swimming lesson!!!

Elizabeth
2008-03-26 9:38 AM
in reply to: #1294222

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

A ha!  Thanks, Jay.  That helps.  So, I guess that's another area where quick-drying clothing comes in handy.

2008-03-26 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1294385

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Click on Control Panel.  Click on Edit Training Settings on the right side of the page.  Then click on Goals.

It took me a while to figure it out, too. 

Lora

2008-03-26 12:14 PM
in reply to: #1293373

User image

aber4 - 2008-03-25 7:46 PM

Well...I made a big commitment to sticking with this sport over the summer...I signed up with a coach!!!  Just kind of felt like just a gradual increasing time workout was not working for me....30 minute run can mean a lot of different things...I seemed to be going backwards.  Had my first swimming lesson with him today (can you believe I drove 3 hours for a 1 hour swimming lesson?)  I really think it was huge for me...now if I can apply some of the things that I learned...i learned alot from TI books and videos but then would get in the pool and couldn't really tell what i was doing right and what sucked.   By the end of the hour we had done some basic things enough that I can now "feel" when I do a couple strokes well and when something falls apart....I'm sure it will take months to get consistent but at least he's giving me the information to make changes as I go.  We'll see how it goes but I guess I'm in this til September!!!!

....and also figured out when we had our nutrition talks that my diet was a huge problem in my early fatigue I've had the last couple weeks compared to some of the workouts i was doing 6 weeks ago. 

Congrats on a coach!  That is a great move in my opinion!  Especially with swimming for the non-swimmers.

As far as TI is concerned, its a great way to get started.  It relaxes you in the water and enables you to achieve balance.  However, its hard to "get" it.  Practice, and I mean, practice A LOT and you will see huge gains.  One day, somethink will click and all of a sudden you are faster.  Eventually you will see your times start to drop and you will be a fish.  But this takes MEGA hours in the pool.

BTW... you look super familiar to me.  You look just like one of the guys that goes to my pool.  I thought you said you were in Michigan, but I wasn't sure.  Where do you swim, if you don't mind my asking?  Chances are, its not you, but its a small world.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52