BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-05-12 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
I tried sockless running in a new pair of Zoot Advantage shoes yesterday.  Did one mile out, then back.  A blister started forming above my heel, where the heel lifts a little when running.  I'm going to try body glide on the heel and see if that helps. 

After that 2 mile run, I switched to socks and my regular shoes and did 4 more miles.  As I took off, it felt like I was running in slippers!  So cushy and comfortable.  My one mile pace was within a few seconds with both shoes, but no doubt the Zoots are much less cushiony.  These are the model that are still a stability shoe, not a full on racing flat or anything, but they definately feel better running with less of a heel strike.  I'm hoping to use them for racing, and one tempo run/week if I can get used to going sockless with them. 

anyone else tried running without socks?  How long did it take to get used to it?

2010-05-12 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
I like my socks!

I might try going sockless for a sprint race later this year.  Anything longer than that, I just feel more comfortable with socks.
2010-05-12 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Question for Trina or anyone with orthotic experience.  I currently wear a stability plus shoe for running to help with pronation.  However, if you go with orthotics, are you then able to switch to a neutral shoe with the correction coming from the insole?

2010-05-12 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2853515

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
norcal_SAHD - 2010-05-12 7:18 AM
anyone else tried running without socks?  How long did it take to get used to it?

I have wimpy feet and thus always wear socks. It takes very little time to get them on. Small price to pay to keep my feet happy. =)
2010-05-12 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2853515

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
norcal_SAHD - 2010-05-12 7:18 AM

I do it all the time.  Took me all of 1 run to get used to it.  I have Zoot Ultra TT3s and know exactly what spot youre talking about.  Body glide should all but eliminate that hot spot for you.  I get it also.

Edited by shmeeg 2010-05-12 11:58 AM
2010-05-12 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2853882

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2010-05-12 9:02 AM

Question for Trina or anyone with orthotic experience.  I currently wear a stability plus shoe for running to help with pronation.  However, if you go with orthotics, are you then able to switch to a neutral shoe with the correction coming from the insole?

I've worn orthotics for about a year now, and yep, that's exactly what you want to do.  I buy all neutral cushion shoes and ditch the sock liners that come w/ it.  You will probably need to size up a 1/2 size in most cases to accomodate the orthotic.  The only problems I've run into have been shoes that have a low heel tend to slide quite a bit, specifically INOV-8s, because the orthotic obviously raises the foot up some in the shoe.

2010-05-12 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
I thought this article was interesting after some of our recent discussions:

Searching for Confidence

By Dr. Mitchell Greene

If you are new to triathlon, or are racing a new distance this season, one thing is certain: if you search too long and too far for confidence — triathlon's Holy Grail — you may be missing a key element to winning triathlon's mental game. As it turns out, a lack of confidence may not be your problem, and trying to "find confidence" may be a waste of your time and energy.

Consider Cathy, who was training for her first triathlon, but who rarely swam as a youth, and never in open water.  When she and I met, she was literally shaking as she waited for her local tri club's open-water swim clinic to begin. Cathy stated emphatically that she had "zero confidence." I smiled and replied, "Perfect, because you don't need confidence to swim." I also added that swimming in Philadelphia's Schuylkill River on a chilly July morning hardly inspired confidence in even the most seasoned athletes. The truth of the matter is that Cathy had little reason to feel confident, having never done anything similar before. Yet, she was expending so much mental energy trying to "get confident" that she was feeling defeated and exhausted before she even dipped a toe into the water.

I asked Cathy to focus instead on the word "willingness" instead of confidence. Willingness, I explained, is something she could do something about. She could ask herself three key questions: Are you willing to have a good swim but maybe not a great one? Are you willing to feel incompetent if that's the way you feel? Are you willing to reconnect with the purpose behind your triathlon goal rather than worrying about how to banish thoughts and feelings over which you have little direct control?

Unexpectedly, Cathy's eyes welled up with tears as she saw that her tension and fear were less about swimming than about the perfectionistic standards she always placed on herself. Once Cathy "got it," she rejoined the group, and asked a tri club member to stay by her side as they entered the water. When she exited the water, having completed her first open-water swim, she allowed the tears to flow as she experienced a healthy release of tension.

Cathy and I joked that now, when she didn't need it anymore, she actually felt some of the confidence she had wanted. More importantly, Cathy said she faced something about herself that she needed to face if she was going to actually enjoy triathlon.

If you make a commitment to stop trying to prove yourself, and you're willing at any moment to give yourself the breathing room to enjoy your participation in the sport, you'll have a much more enjoyable experience than if you futilely sitting around waiting for confidence to develop.
2010-05-12 2:11 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Webinars available through USAT.  Little pricy, but could be benefical.

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — USA Triathlon members are encouraged to take advantage of upcoming discounted, athlete-focused webinars that can help take training and race-day performance to the next level.

At just $24.99 for a one-hour webinar beginning June 1, USAT members can gain a wealth of knowledge about multisport training and racing from some of the sport's most-respected names without leaving their home or office. Webinars are designed to not only help athletes boost their performance, but USAT-certified coaches can earn CEUs from all webinars at a price of $34.99.

Non-USAT members can also take advantage of any webinar for $39.99.

"We've been able to partner with some of the biggest names in our sport for this latest series of webinars, and we think USAT members will enjoy learning from the best of the best," said Angie Murphy, USAT's coaching specialty manager. "It's exciting that age group athletes will be able to apply some of the same techniques used by Olympians to their training and racing."

Topics on the horizon include race day nutrition with Olympic dietician Bob Seebohar and Olympian Sarah Haskins, and renowned running expert Bobby McGee and Olympian Jarrod Shoemaker will pair up to present on running.

A number of webinars on nutrition and running are among the wide-ranging topics geared towards athletes. Scheduled webinars include subjects ranging from "How to Have Your Best Ironman Marathon" to "Cycling with Power" to "Planning Your Season" and beyond. Visit usatriathlon.org for a complete schedule of upcoming webinars. 

Additionally, all previous webinars are archived online for viewing at any time.

2010-05-12 7:51 PM

User image

Regular
Sun Diego
Today was another Encinitas course preview... and when I arrived it was like the Race Expo came a few days early(?).  The Transition Area was full of Tri-Bikes of all sorts as well as Runners exiting and entering the course.  Around the perimeter of Moonlight Beach the Race Organizers were starting to set up fencing and no parking signs... and down at the beach there were about a dozen swimmers training (in small and mushy 3' surf Smile).

So today was a another brick for me (No Transitions).  The winds were off-shore though so I had a tailwind on the out leg (sort of downhill) and a headwind on the back leg which consists of a couple real low grade climbs (which none-the-less smack you in the mug).  These winds also cramped my style in the downtown portion of the bike/run course around the buildings.  So I am hoping for off-shore winds on race day as I have performed better fighting the winds outbound and enjoy having the breezy nudge on the return.

Training log for today is updated and tomorrow evening is the TCSD OWS at De Anza Cove.  If I can snake a trip up to Camp Pendelton in the  morning I may get my toes wet at Encinitas too.  Also tomorrow is PMCS on my Bike and gear shakedown inspection.  I'm getting friggin' excited... It's almost race day BABY!

Regarding "Socks"... Well I'm a low impact - low mileage kind of guy so I always run/ride without socks (accept on my MB).  I wear Zoot TT and Asics Gel Nimbus and use a dab o' "Booty Sweat" on the back of both to fend off blisters.
2010-05-12 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2854491

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
brick94513 - 2010-05-12 2:05 PM I thought this article was interesting after some of our recent discussions:

Searching for Confidence

By Dr. Mitchell Greene

If you are new to triathlon, or are racing a new distance this season, one thing is certain: if you search too long and too far for confidence — triathlon's Holy Grail — you may be missing a key element to winning triathlon's mental game. As it turns out, a lack of confidence may not be your problem, and trying to "find confidence" may be a waste of your time and energy.

Consider Cathy, who was training for her first triathlon, but who rarely swam as a youth, and never in open water.  When she and I met, she was literally shaking as she waited for her local tri club's open-water swim clinic to begin. Cathy stated emphatically that she had "zero confidence." I smiled and replied, "Perfect, because you don't need confidence to swim." I also added that swimming in Philadelphia's Schuylkill River on a chilly July morning hardly inspired confidence in even the most seasoned athletes. The truth of the matter is that Cathy had little reason to feel confident, having never done anything similar before. Yet, she was expending so much mental energy trying to "get confident" that she was feeling defeated and exhausted before she even dipped a toe into the water.

I asked Cathy to focus instead on the word "willingness" instead of confidence. Willingness, I explained, is something she could do something about. She could ask herself three key questions: Are you willing to have a good swim but maybe not a great one? Are you willing to feel incompetent if that's the way you feel? Are you willing to reconnect with the purpose behind your triathlon goal rather than worrying about how to banish thoughts and feelings over which you have little direct control?

Unexpectedly, Cathy's eyes welled up with tears as she saw that her tension and fear were less about swimming than about the perfectionistic standards she always placed on herself. Once Cathy "got it," she rejoined the group, and asked a tri club member to stay by her side as they entered the water. When she exited the water, having completed her first open-water swim, she allowed the tears to flow as she experienced a healthy release of tension.

Cathy and I joked that now, when she didn't need it anymore, she actually felt some of the confidence she had wanted. More importantly, Cathy said she faced something about herself that she needed to face if she was going to actually enjoy triathlon.

If you make a commitment to stop trying to prove yourself, and you're willing at any moment to give yourself the breathing room to enjoy your participation in the sport, you'll have a much more enjoyable experience than if you futilely sitting around waiting for confidence to develop.

Tim,

Great stuff that I put to use this PM.  Yesterday's swim workout absolutely sucked.  Could not breath, could not float, muscles hurt.  Very frustrating.  Today I relaxed and just took your advice to have a good swim and not worry about how it went.  Just give it a nice relaxed effort.   Worked on drills and form.  Stretching out, rotating hips, breathing out under the water.  At the end of 20 laps (1000 m) felt great and had my best session in the pool ever.  Actually managed to swim 100m non-stop after the first 750m and was not really gassed.  I've lined up some swim lessons starting next month.  Hopefully by that time I'll be pushing out to 200m.  Thanks for sharing! 
2010-05-12 10:40 PM
in reply to: #2855358

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
croixfan - 2010-05-12 7:29 PM

Great stuff that I put to use this PM.  Yesterday's swim workout absolutely sucked.  Could not breath, could not float, muscles hurt.  Very frustrating.  Today I relaxed and just took your advice to have a good swim and not worry about how it went.  Just give it a nice relaxed effort.   Worked on drills and form.  Stretching out, rotating hips, breathing out under the water.  At the end of 20 laps (1000 m) felt great and had my best session in the pool ever.  Actually managed to swim 100m non-stop after the first 750m and was not really gassed.  I've lined up some swim lessons starting next month.  Hopefully by that time I'll be pushing out to 200m.  Thanks for sharing! 

Very cool.  Sounds like you made a little break through today.  Sometimes we just need to take that step back and not try so hard.

2010-05-12 11:22 PM
in reply to: #2855217

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
BigH2OChief - 2010-05-12 5:51 PM Today was another Encinitas course preview... and when I arrived it was like the Race Expo came a few days early(?).  The Transition Area was full of Tri-Bikes of all sorts as well as Runners exiting and entering the course.  Around the perimeter of Moonlight Beach the Race Organizers were starting to set up fencing and no parking signs... and down at the beach there were about a dozen swimmers training (in small and mushy 3' surf Smile).

So today was a another brick for me (No Transitions).  The winds were off-shore though so I had a tailwind on the out leg (sort of downhill) and a headwind on the back leg which consists of a couple real low grade climbs (which none-the-less smack you in the mug).  These winds also cramped my style in the downtown portion of the bike/run course around the buildings.  So I am hoping for off-shore winds on race day as I have performed better fighting the winds outbound and enjoy having the breezy nudge on the return.

Training log for today is updated and tomorrow evening is the TCSD OWS at De Anza Cove.  If I can snake a trip up to Camp Pendelton in the  morning I may get my toes wet at Encinitas too.  Also tomorrow is PMCS on my Bike and gear shakedown inspection.  I'm getting friggin' excited... It's almost race day BABY!

Regarding "Socks"... Well I'm a low impact - low mileage kind of guy so I always run/ride without socks (accept on my MB).  I wear Zoot TT and Asics Gel Nimbus and use a dab o' "Booty Sweat" on the back of both to fend off blisters.

I'm glad I have you around to do all this recon!  I'm getting excited too, can't wait for the weekend to get here! 
2010-05-12 11:23 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Oh, forgot why I originally got on here.  Just FYI if anyone is interested, PBK shipping takes about 10 days to get to the west coast.  Not bad for free shipping from the UK.  Now my cycling kit from China...that may take a month to get here
2010-05-13 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
OK, looks like everyone is tired...No posts today!!!!!

I went to pool this morning...feel like I am "on top of the water".  This is much better.  My breathing is still a problem.  This is very difficult to master!

Went on Slice for 30k ride, hilly, but fun.  Sun was out.  Few downhill stretches, tucked in aero...flying down road...Wheee  Wheee   The fun.  Reminds me of childhood.   Gotta say, I like cycling.  It is probably my favourite.  My climate limits my time cycling, this is probably why I value it so much!!!

Hope you guys return from retirement!!  Innocent

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-05-14 4:24 AM
2010-05-13 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
I ran again today.  One hour.  It's becoming my favorite sport (if you can call running a sport...).  I'm still having a really hard time finding the love for road riding, it just doesn't really do it for me.  Maybe a real road bike would help, but I am really looking forward to getting back out on the MTB trails.  I haven't even ridden a bike at all yet this week, not good!!
2010-05-13 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2857253

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
GoGoGo - 2010-05-13 3:12 PM

OK, looks like everyone is tired...No posts today!!!!!

I went to pool this morning...feel like I am "on top of the water".  This is much better.  My breathing is still a problem.  This is very difficult to master!

Went for Slice for 30k ride, hilly, but fun.  Sun was out.  Few downhill stretches, tucked in aero...flying down road...Wheee  Wheee   The fun.  Reminds me of childhood.   Gotta say, I like cycling.  It is probably my favourite.  My climate limits my time cycling, this is probably why I value it so much!!!

Hope you guys return from retirement!!  Innocent

bah!!! weather is sketchy here. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get another brick in tonight so I went to my gym at work for some weights and a run. My knees are feeling much better on the glucosamine!!!! I did my favorite progressive interval run before a taper week. I'll be commuting home now to either get a ride in or head to the gym at home for a swim, depending on the weather.

2010-05-13 4:53 PM
in reply to: #2857527

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
norcal_SAHD - 2010-05-13 4:36 PM

I ran again today.  One hour.  It's becoming my favorite sport (if you can call running a sport...).  I'm still having a really hard time finding the love for road riding, it just doesn't really do it for me.  Maybe a real road bike would help, but I am really looking forward to getting back out on the MTB trails.  I haven't even ridden a bike at all yet this week, not good!!

Road bike won't help that much, it's still boring. I just think of it as a "ways to a means". Where I live it's a weekend trip to get to any good MTB'ing. If I get the road miles in I'm that much faster in the trails. Unfortunately, sometimes that leaves my technical skills on the MTB lacking!!!
2010-05-13 8:07 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

I just did some T1/T2 dry runs in my living room.  This race is gonna be so much fun!

2010-05-13 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2857527

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
norcal_SAHD - 2010-05-13 2:36 PM I ran again today.  One hour.  It's becoming my favorite sport (if you can call running a sport...).  I'm still having a really hard time finding the love for road riding, it just doesn't really do it for me.  Maybe a real road bike would help, but I am really looking forward to getting back out on the MTB trails.  I haven't even ridden a bike at all yet this week, not good!!

Try finding a group to ride with maybe?  In my limited experience, I have found riding w/ others makes it much more fun.
2010-05-13 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2857580

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-05-13 2:53 PM

norcal_SAHD - 2010-05-13 4:36 PM

Road bike won't help that much, it's still boring. I just think of it as a "ways to a means". Where I live it's a weekend trip to get to any good MTB'ing. If I get the road miles in I'm that much faster in the trails. Unfortunately, sometimes that leaves my technical skills on the MTB lacking!!!

I have a hard time motivating myself to ride on the road too. Riding the trails seems more like fun than work to me. Whereas, whenever I get on the tt bike, I know I got work to do.

To break up the monotony, i'll try to break the ride into stages focusing on mph, drills, hr, etc.

I too doubt a new bike will help.
2010-05-13 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2857869

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-05-13 6:08 PM

norcal_SAHD - 2010-05-13 2:36 PM I ran again today.  One hour.  It's becoming my favorite sport (if you can call running a sport...).  I'm still having a really hard time finding the love for road riding, it just doesn't really do it for me.  Maybe a real road bike would help, but I am really looking forward to getting back out on the MTB trails.  I haven't even ridden a bike at all yet this week, not good!!

Try finding a group to ride with maybe?  In my limited experience, I have found riding w/ others makes it much more fun.

Good advice! Especially if you are looking to build mileage. But, unfortunately, there are times when you will have to buck up and ride solo when training for a tri. No aero position in group rides. No drafting in triathlons.

2010-05-13 8:33 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Yep. MIA today. I thought I would have Richard tow the line for a while! Haha!

No actually, I went on a long ride today. Seven hours in the saddle left me a little beat. Then off to Costco with the family to stock up the pantry. Finally, I'm sitting at my oldest son's baseball practice right now.
2010-05-13 10:18 PM
in reply to: #2857896

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
brick94513 - 2010-05-13 8:33 PM Yep. MIA today. I thought I would have Richard tow the line for a while! Haha! No actually, I went on a long ride today. Seven hours in the saddle left me a little beat. Then off to Costco with the family to stock up the pantry. Finally, I'm sitting at my oldest son's baseball practice right now.

Thanks Tim -- 7 hours = more than I've gotten in the saddle all month!!!! 
2010-05-14 12:00 AM

User image

Regular
Sun Diego
TCSD OWS at De Anza Cove tonight.  We did swim stroke evaluations and I was moved up to the "fast group" (even though my Time Trial was 35 seconds over the cutoff last week).  I guess the Coach thinks my technique is good enough to be the slowest guy in the group... yeah, I feel challenged.  ha-ha!

After that we moved on to Intervals (with MASS Beach starts and 200 yard sprints added to the finishes)... Yaaaay!  After an hour of that I dont think I'll be making the 5:30 AM Encinitas Swim Course preview tomorrow morning.  Go ahead... Call me a wuss!
2010-05-14 4:26 AM
in reply to: #2858104

User image

Expert
Canada
BigH2OChief - 2010-05-14 2:00 AM TCSD OWS at De Anza Cove tonight.  We did swim stroke evaluations and I was moved up to the "fast group" (even though my Time Trial was 35 seconds over the cutoff last week).  I guess the Coach thinks my technique is good enough to be the slowest guy in the group... yeah, I feel challenged.  ha-ha!

After that we moved on to Intervals (with MASS Beach starts and 200 yard sprints added to the finishes)... Yaaaay!  After an hour of that I dont think I'll be making the 5:30 AM Encinitas Swim Course preview tomorrow morning.  Go ahead... Call me a wuss!

You are becoming a fish!!  You are rapidly accumulating the qualifications to be our local expert on the swim!! 

Good stuff!!  Cool 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108