Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2010-09-15 6:39 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
Ok, so no 14 miles for me today but it works to my advantage!  I really do not want to be doing my long run in the evenings.  I want to get up at 4:30 on a Saturday or Sunday when John is home to get up with the boys.  This way, I will be done around 8:30 at the latest when my runs get longer than what they are now.  So we worked it out for me to run Saturday morning when I did not think it would work out!!

Ok...another training plan question.  This week my long run is 14.  Next week my long run is supposed to be a half marathon race.  No can do for me!  None around here that weekend.  I did look!  The long run the following week is 16.  I am afraid that going from 14-16 is a big jump for me.  It is probably more of a psychological hurdle than physical.  What would you do?  Would you follow the plan and do 13 as my long run or do 15 and shorten my other runs during the week to still do the same weekly miles?

2010-09-16 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Meggan, that's great that you've got a plan worked out to get in the longer runs and really hope that works out well for you.

As for the training plan, I would do the 13.  Part of doing a marathon is learning to push past those mental hangups that we all have and by defeating that mental hump in training helps better prepare you for the race.  Not sure about your plan but most marathon plans I have seen only have you doing up to 20-22mi runs, which still leaves you several miles more to do on race day.  But if you are mentally prepared for that jump and know you can do it in training then it should not be a problem. 

And I wouldn't look at the 13 as an easy day.  Try to push yourself just a little bit more than normal and see what you are capable of doing.  Just throwing out numbers here, but if you normally do a 11min/mi for 13mi then see if you can do it at 10:45 or 10:30.  Then when you do the 16 the following week and go back to the 11:00 then it should feel easier. 

I am really proud of the distances that you are doing now.  You've come a long way this year!
2010-09-16 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3101668

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-09-16 8:35 AM Meggan, that's great that you've got a plan worked out to get in the longer runs and really hope that works out well for you.

As for the training plan, I would do the 13.  Part of doing a marathon is learning to push past those mental hangups that we all have and by defeating that mental hump in training helps better prepare you for the race.  Not sure about your plan but most marathon plans I have seen only have you doing up to 20-22mi runs, which still leaves you several miles more to do on race day.  But if you are mentally prepared for that jump and know you can do it in training then it should not be a problem. 

And I wouldn't look at the 13 as an easy day.  Try to push yourself just a little bit more than normal and see what you are capable of doing.  Just throwing out numbers here, but if you normally do a 11min/mi for 13mi then see if you can do it at 10:45 or 10:30.  Then when you do the 16 the following week and go back to the 11:00 then it should feel easier. 

I am really proud of the distances that you are doing now.  You've come a long way this year!

As always, thanks for your advice and your words of encouragement.  I still can't believe I am training for a marathon.  I said in January I wanted to do a marathon by the time I was 40.  That gave me 8 years.  I want to do this for me but I can't wait until I cross that finish line and can shut my sister up!  If you remember, last May she told me I was nuts and I could never do any of this stuff.  I really don't know where that came from because I have always been active.  I really want to flip her the finger or something as I cross the finish line!!

2010-09-16 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3101758

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Mrschach - 2010-09-16 9:13 AM
chichitao - 2010-09-16 8:35 AM Meggan, that's great that you've got a plan worked out to get in the longer runs and really hope that works out well for you.

As always, thanks for your advice and your words of encouragement.  I still can't believe I am training for a marathon.  I said in January I wanted to do a marathon by the time I was 40.  That gave me 8 years.  I want to do this for me but I can't wait until I cross that finish line and can shut my sister up!  If you remember, last May she told me I was nuts and I could never do any of this stuff.  I really don't know where that came from because I have always been active.  I really want to flip her the finger or something as I cross the finish line!!

That'll look good at the finish line photo!!
2010-09-16 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3101809

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-09-16 9:40 AM

There is always that!  I can't imagine that professional picture will make it to the website!  I would have to make sure John gets a picture, blow it up, and that could be her Christmas present!!
2010-09-16 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3101830

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Mrschach - 2010-09-16 9:49 AM
chichitao - 2010-09-16 9:40 AM

There is always that!  I can't imagine that professional picture will make it to the website!  I would have to make sure John gets a picture, blow it up, and that could be her Christmas present!!

I LOVE THIS IDEA!  You're too awesome.  Just have the pro's take a nice picture and have your husband take the not so nice one a couple seconds later.  Perfect.

My uncle has been telling me that I can't do triathlons.  Well, I DID one, and he still doesn't believe me.  Hmm... I want to do the Chicago Tri next year so I can have him come watch and see for himself.

Edited by SoccerGK 2010-09-16 12:50 PM

2010-09-16 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I'm HERE!  But not for long.

Debbie - HAVE FUN at dmb!  Not my personal fave (I have an issue with his voice), but I do love the band itself.  My brother has been to a concert of his every year for forever, so he may be there too!

T2 - I'm just impressed with the amount of calories you eat while working out.  I forget to drink water, and here you are taking in all that!  I hope you figure it out, and when you do, keep us posted!

Pete - I'm glad you like the rollers!  Too difficult for me!

T1 - THANK YOU for all the support, even when I've been MIA!  It makes my day!

Meggan - Is the hand any better now?  Just reading that made me sick to my stomach... blech.

Life is still busy, but since we have nothing planned this weekend (finally!), I should be able to get a lot done!  I'm going to try to get all my school work done for next week on Friday/Saturday, and I'm hoping to start working out again!  I haven't been home before 10pm all week, and I've been getting up at 5.  I'm physically and mentally exhausted.  I just need to get all of this crap organized before I get too deep into the semester!  Thankfully, I got the Complaint done for work that I've been focusing on for the last few weeks, so now that the case is filed, I won't have to look at it at all until we get a court date!  *phew* 

On a bright note, the reason we were so busy last weekend is because we: a) volunteered at IMmoo (awesome!), and b) got a new car!!!  I love her.  She's a BRIGHT green Jeep Patriot.  My dad works at a car dealership in Springfield, so we had to drive all the way down there to get her, but totally worth it.  I needed something that would handle Wisconsin winters better than my sports car!  I still haven't come up with a name for her.  Any ideas?

Lastly, I was wondering if you guys like your bosses?  If not, why?  I want to know how common it is to hate your boss as much as I do!  Tongue out

You guys are all awesome!  Thanks!
2010-09-16 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3102439

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Right now I am feeling pretty lucky that I don't have any nay-sayers in my life.  I don't understand your sister Meggan or your Uncle Erica and I think I would have a few choice words for them should I ever run across them in my life.  My guess is that they are the kind of people that make themselves feel better about themselves by tearing others down.  They can't do triathlons or marathons and if you do, then you are some how better than them in their minds, so they just look for ways to tear you down by cutting you down and hopefully instilling the self doubt in you, so that you will fail, making them right and therefore better than you. 

Good on both of you for not letting that talk take you down and coming out on top! 

2010-09-16 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3102466

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
I love my boss, he's quiet and leaves me alone for the most part.  When he does come and have a sit down in my office, it is usually to talk about an online game we both play.  I think overall in my work life I've been pretty lucky with bosses, but there have been a couple that were beyond reprehensible, one of whom would have prostitutes in his office at lunch...ick(I quit after 2 weeks). 

If he's completely horrible, I would suggest looking for work elsewhere while you are still working.  I know you don't have a wealth of time with everything you are doing, but life really is too short to work in a negative environment.
2010-09-16 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Sorry I can't believe I didn't mention the name....yes it is DAVE MATTHEWS BAND!!!  I Love them!!!  They are not touring next summer so I talked my hubby into letting me go to both shows.  It is going to be great.  I have been seeing them every summer since 98'. 

Erica-my husband hates DMB and I am the only one out of my group of friends that like him, but again he is my fav and I always find someone to tag along with me. 

Meggan, that is great you can do it on the weekend.  I think it makes a difference getting it out of the way and stuff.

I really like both of my bosses.  The one boss is totally awesome (we came to the new school together and he is so relaxed) and the other one I am still getting to know, way different than the other, but still good to work for.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!!  I know I will....probably won't have much computer access while I am there since I am not at the in-laws. 

Edited by debbiereid06 2010-09-16 1:44 PM
2010-09-16 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3101021

User image

Expert
Meggan - I agree with T1 on pushing yourself a little harder.  That is the reason they throw the 1/2 mary in your program.  I would use it almost as a guage on your training.  Even though you can't find a race I would simulate the race exactly as to how your marathon is going to be -same time of day, planned sleep routine, eating/drinking plan, etc...  Run the 13 miles at your planned marathon pace and push the second half a little harder to see how you respond.  Remember how you felt or what you could have done differnet and make those adjustments on your next long run.

As far as the next week I would also stick with the plan and do the 16 miles.  Do your best and if you have to walk then walk, if you have crawl then crawl but FINISH IT!  Do an out and back course so you are forced to finish.  I found that during my first year of marathon training I would always hit a wall 2 miles before my run ended.  So if I was doing a 16 miler I bonked at 14, but the next week during my 18 miler I bonked at 16.  It's all in your head!!! Practice mentally preparing yourself because just like Tim said your plan will most likely only have you running 20 miles so you need to practice psyching yourself up that you can go further than you have ever gone on race day.

My theory is if you can run 13 miles you can run 26.  Its all in your head and how you use positive thoughts to make your body do things it is not used to.  Don't just think of your long runs as just normal runs just to get through.  Use each one as a dress rehearsal so that when the actual race comes you are 100% ready!

You are doing a great job with your training but this part of the training is when it gets tough and your body starts acting weird becasue it doesn't know what you are doing to it-haha  Just think positive about how far you have come and never doubt your ability to finish a workout or race distance and you will do great.

Hope that helps.

Mrschach - 2010-09-15 6:39 PM Ok, so no 14 miles for me today but it works to my advantage!  I really do not want to be doing my long run in the evenings.  I want to get up at 4:30 on a Saturday or Sunday when John is home to get up with the boys.  This way, I will be done around 8:30 at the latest when my runs get longer than what they are now.  So we worked it out for me to run Saturday morning when I did not think it would work out!!

Ok...another training plan question.  This week my long run is 14.  Next week my long run is supposed to be a half marathon race.  No can do for me!  None around here that weekend.  I did look!  The long run the following week is 16.  I am afraid that going from 14-16 is a big jump for me.  It is probably more of a psychological hurdle than physical.  What would you do?  Would you follow the plan and do 13 as my long run or do 15 and shorten my other runs during the week to still do the same weekly miles?

2010-09-16 3:40 PM

User image

Expert

So I got into work yesterday and noticed my wife had posted this on her Facebook:

"Hubby is racing in the Half Ironman this weekend. Some words to describe him during this last year of training are dedicated, strong and passionate. Soon he will be an Ironman! Can't wait to see him cross the finish line and achieve a goal he set years and years ago. Never let the fear of failure keep you from trying t...o achieve a lifelong goal...the scary thing is you just my do it!"

Definitely brought a smile to my face as I know that this past three months has been pretty stressful for her. 

Just thought I would share that.

On a side note - I finished my training plan today!!!!  i never thought it would end-haha  Rest day tomorrow, Saturday I plan to get a 20 min swim on course, 20 min bike on course, and short jog and then I will be ready for Sunday.

2010-09-16 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3102874

User image

Expert
South Jersey
tmoran80 - 2010-09-16 3:40 PM

So I got into work yesterday and noticed my wife had posted this on her Facebook:

"Hubby is racing in the Half Ironman this weekend. Some words to describe him during this last year of training are dedicated, strong and passionate. Soon he will be an Ironman! Can't wait to see him cross the finish line and achieve a goal he set years and years ago. Never let the fear of failure keep you from trying t...o achieve a lifelong goal...the scary thing is you just my do it!"

Definitely brought a smile to my face as I know that this past three months has been pretty stressful for her. 

On a side note - I finished my training plan today!!!!  i never thought it would end-haha  Rest day tomorrow, Saturday I plan to get a 20 min swim on course, 20 min bike on course, and short jog and then I will be ready for Sunday.

Thanks for your advice!

Good luck this weekend.  I cannot wait to hear all about it.  Your wife's status is great.  It is so nice when we realize that they "get" it!  The night before I did the SheRox Tri, John's status was just "my wife rox!"  It was nice to see it.
2010-09-17 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3102874

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
tmoran80 - 2010-09-16 3:40 PM

If there was a "like" button on BT, I would use it here.

GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!!! I can't wait to hear about it! 
2010-09-17 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

Stitches are OUT!!  One fell out on its own yesterday.  I cannot wait to get home today after work and dissect my training plan!  I am going to plan out at least the next few weeks and add in some biking, swimming, and lifting!

2010-09-18 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3104225

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Mrschach - 2010-09-17 9:56 AM

Stitches are OUT!!  One fell out on its own yesterday.  I cannot wait to get home today after work and dissect my training plan!  I am going to plan out at least the next few weeks and add in some biking, swimming, and lifting!

Uh-oh, watch out, Meggan is on the loose!   Very good news. 

For some reason the BT server is not letting me get to mine or any of your log pages.  I was going to send out some inspires, which I don't normally get to do on the weekends.  I planned on a run yesterday but ended up leaving the house at 730a for errands and didn't get home until 830p.  Long day.  So took it as a sign and took a 2nd day in a row off.  But b/c of that I got up early this morning and got in a awesome run while it was still 75 degrees.

Wanted to do a semi race.  I have to do something like this before every race just to let my mind know I am capable of doing what my body is trying to get it to do.  I started off doing the first 2mi at a 9min pace, then really decided to kick it up.  I did the last 3 miles in 8:14, 8:18, and 7:44!  I was really excited and felt like I could do even more, but that was enough for me mentally.  That is exactly the run I needed.  I ended up at an 8:25 pace overall even with the slower first 2 miles.  My goal in next weeks 10k is in the 8:15-8:30 range so now I know I can do it for sure!  Last year I did it in an 8:45 pace which was my fastest ever at the time. 

I know I am just rambling but it just goes to show how if you stick to your training then good things can and do happen.  Don't forget just 4yrs ago I was running in the 10:30 range and was sucking wind!

Can't wait to hear all the good things from Tim's race and about Debbie's concert experience.  Were you able to get that long run in Meggan?  Pete, good luck with the 10k, let us know how it goes!

Happy trainings and weekend!

2010-09-18 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Yep! I got 14 miles in this morning.  I started on the treadmill and finished on the street.  I want to get up early to run so I don't lose a chunk of the morning with the family but I don't feel safe running in the dark alone.  We are out of town the next 3 weekends so my long runs have to be during the week.  After that, I will get some long runs all outside!

Can't wait to hear from everyone this weekend!
2010-09-18 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Got through the show last night at the Berghoff Oktobest.  It was awesome.  Over 1000 people and they liked us so much they asked us (and payed us ) to play an extra hour.  Didn't really fit into my travel plan but you can't say no to that.  We didn;t get on the road until 10pm.  Rolled into St.Louis at about 2:30am and hit the hotel.  Got up and had breakfast and we are now traveling to Branson. 

I just checked accuweather and the forecast for tomorrow is "Mostly Sunny and HOT"  HIGH 92 - Real Feel of 98.  Looks like the objetive has become just to finish instead of pushing for time.  I am glad now that I did a few long workouts in extreme heat.  I just have to trust in my training and fluid/nutrition plan tomorrow.  We'll see how it goes.
2010-09-18 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3105921

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
tmoran80 - 2010-09-18 12:32 PM Got through the show last night at the Berghoff Oktobest.  It was awesome.  Over 1000 people and they liked us so much they asked us (and payed us ) to play an extra hour.  Didn't really fit into my travel plan but you can't say no to that.  We didn;t get on the road until 10pm.  Rolled into St.Louis at about 2:30am and hit the hotel.  Got up and had breakfast and we are now traveling to Branson. 

I just checked accuweather and the forecast for tomorrow is "Mostly Sunny and HOT"  HIGH 92 - Real Feel of 98.  Looks like the objetive has become just to finish instead of pushing for time.  I am glad now that I did a few long workouts in extreme heat.  I just have to trust in my training and fluid/nutrition plan tomorrow.  We'll see how it goes.

I'm so excited for you!  I will be checking in to see how you did.  GOOD LUCK AGAIN!  *thumbs up*
2010-09-18 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I ran today!!! Yay!  And I will tomorrow, too.  Feels good!

Ryan and I were talking today, and I'm thinking I'm going to start out with 4 days/week of working out for now, until I can get into the swing of things.  I want to run on Saturday/Sunday, then bike on Monday/Wednesday mornings (since I don't have to leave until 8 on those mornings).  I will up that in the next couple weeks if I feel like I can.  If I get a treadmill, I can improve on that as well.  I'm going to try to make my runs longer.  Today was 4.7 miles, and since those are on the weekends, I can pretty much make them as long as I want.  It would be nice to get up to 10, at least, by the end of the school year.  Bikes will pretty much be maintained at around an hour-1.5 for now, in the hopes that when I start hitting it hard again, it will come back somewhat easily.

Swimming, I suppose, will wait for now.

How does that sound?
2010-09-18 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3105998

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Hey everyone, sorry I've been MIA recently.  Been busy with life these days.  

T2, good luck tomorrow!  I'll be checking in.

Tim, great job on the run!  Those workouts are so awesome to have right before a big race!

I finished my 10k in a great time, way better than expected.  47:47, hoping for under 50, so perfect.  Finished 5th overall.  RR is up.  I'm super happy with it, asI haven't actually run 10k straight since training for my first race.  So glad to get this out of the way.  Feel great now!

Sounds like we're all having good weekends!  T2, I'm sure it'll continue on for you in Branson.  Be careful in the heat.  You're gonna do amazing.   

2010-09-18 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3105998

User image

Expert
South Jersey
SoccerGK - 2010-09-18 2:47 PM I ran today!!! Yay!  And I will tomorrow, too.  Feels good!

Ryan and I were talking today, and I'm thinking I'm going to start out with 4 days/week of working out for now, until I can get into the swing of things.  I want to run on Saturday/Sunday, then bike on Monday/Wednesday mornings (since I don't have to leave until 8 on those mornings).  I will up that in the next couple weeks if I feel like I can.  If I get a treadmill, I can improve on that as well.  I'm going to try to make my runs longer.  Today was 4.7 miles, and since those are on the weekends, I can pretty much make them as long as I want.  It would be nice to get up to 10, at least, by the end of the school year.  Bikes will pretty much be maintained at around an hour-1.5 for now, in the hopes that when I start hitting it hard again, it will come back somewhat easily.

Swimming, I suppose, will wait for now.

How does that sound?

Sounds like a good plan!  Are you still thinking of a half next year?
2010-09-19 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
If anyone is on here Sun morning, here is the Ironman tracker for Tim.  Just enter bib #761.  He is doing great so far and halfway through the bike.

Edited by chichitao 2010-09-19 11:11 AM
2010-09-19 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3106635

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Thanks T1, I was about to go looking for the tracker.  Very cool to be able to see the results so far. Looks like he's off the bike and running now!
2010-09-19 4:26 PM

User image

Expert

Finished in 6:35:52 (520 out of 1350)  Race went great a little slower than I wanted I was shooting for 6:15 but with the weather I am extremely happy.  I just looked and the Real Feel when I was finishing the run was 100 degrees!  My nutritin plan worked out great and got me through the race.  BIG THANKS to all you guys for your support ove rthe past few months.  It means more than you will ever know.  It gives you that extra little push knowing you guys are going to be checking up on me during and after -haha.

Once the nerves went away and I settled in I just told myself to trust in my training and I had a really good time.

Over all I feel great! Did not cramp once during the whole race.  I did have a goggle issue early in the swim.  I'll go into more detail in my race report. 

Once again thanks to all you guys!!!

Edited by tmoran80 2010-09-19 4:31 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103