of 150

2011-02-15 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3355753

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
kathy caribe - 2011-02-15 8:58 AM

Hello.  My plan is a IM in November but thanks to the advice in that forum I'm planning on an HIM in June and am going to mesh the BT HIM plan with the TriFuel plan mainly in the running.  I live in Mexico and have my first sprint in about a month (and first triatlon since the early 80s ever) and boy have the rules changed in some 20 odd years.  I have no idea what is legal and what is expected and still trying to figure out what to wear for the sprint. 

I am so envious of your weather. It must be nice to ride/run outside in the sun. I too did tri's many years ago and took most of my adult life off before jumping back in. There is so much more gear to pick from.

As far as what's legal, if you know which races you are doing, look on their websites to see what they say about any restrictions on things like wetsuits, disc wheels, etc. If you are not sure about anything specific just ask, there are many people here that would love to help you.

2011-02-15 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I'm on day 2 of week 3 and absolutely exhausted all the time! .Missed a bike workout this morning, I just couldn't haul my butt out of bed in time this morning so tonight I have to either do the 1 hour bike, the 30 minute run OR both. It's early in the plan - what would you guys do?..............I am assuming ( probably incorrect) that at some point my body will catch up and I won't walk round like a zombie all the time lol
2011-02-15 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3356532

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-15 2:45 PM

I'm on day 2 of week 3 and absolutely exhausted all the time! .Missed a bike workout this morning, I just couldn't haul my butt out of bed in time this morning so tonight I have to either do the 1 hour bike, the 30 minute run OR both. It's early in the plan - what would you guys do?..............I am assuming ( probably incorrect) that at some point my body will catch up and I won't walk round like a zombie all the time lol

Your body will catch up if you stay as consistent as possible. I'd be more concerned with overuse injury as your body adapts to the workload. Be patient and stick with it. It is also important to get extra rest. Going to bed an hour early can make a huge difference.

I just started week 5 and had to start at lower distances to prevent past injuries. I substituted more frequency for distance/intensity. I'm just now catching up with the full volumes of the plan and have been feeling really good.
2011-02-15 3:27 PM

User image

Bronze member
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-15 2:46 PM I'm on day 2 of week 3 and absolutely exhausted all the time! .Missed a bike workout this morning, I just couldn't haul my butt out of bed in time this morning so tonight I have to either do the 1 hour bike, the 30 minute run OR both. It's early in the plan - what would you guys do?..............I am assuming ( probably incorrect) that at some point my body will catch up and I won't walk round like a zombie all the time lol

I'm on week 3 also and exhausted today also In fact I am sitting here thinking about ditching my 30 min run but I think I will just give myself the chance to get started and see how it goes. A lot of times I am ready to drop a workout but I tell myself if I just get started and still feel bad I can quit early. The majority of the time I finish the workout. My swim "workout" today turned into a steady state recovery swim. I just couldn't break myself out of the fog. Extra sleep and more water are some things I need to work on!

2011-02-15 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Remember the mental side of the game. That "couldn't haul my butt out of bed" was really "didn't feel like hauling myself out of bed."

At the same time, do be careful about overtraining early on. Overuse injuries are very easu to come by. Every workout doesn't have to be at speed, distance, interval, etc... If you feel tired, try walking instead of running, or just go easy on the bike or in the pool. 

I've tried not to miss any workouts simply to strenghten my mental game....well....until Sunday when my knee felt sore. I'm on day two of a three-day break, but it's for a specific reason. These three days of rest are actually three days of training in my mind. 

Feeling tired is likely a combination of sleep, nutrition, hydration and training. Be sure to keep up on the first three.

To answer your question, I'd try to do both tonight at an easier pace than scheduled. You may find that five minutes in your body responds and you can crank it up to normal. Happened to me about three weeks ago and I had one of my best runs so far!

Keep us updated! 
2011-02-15 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3355753

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
kathy caribe - 2011-02-15 8:58 AM Hello.  My plan is a IM in November but thanks to the advice in that forum I'm planning on an HIM in June and am going to mesh the BT HIM plan with the TriFuel plan mainly in the running.  I live in Mexico and have my first sprint in about a month (and first triatlon since the early 80s ever) and boy have the rules changed in some 20 odd years.  I have no idea what is legal and what is expected and still trying to figure out what to wear for the sprint. 

Welcome! Most women wear triathlon shorts and a triathlon top with either a built in bra or a fast-wicking sports bra. That way you don't have to change clothes at all.

2011-02-15 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3356532

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-15 2:45 PM I'm on day 2 of week 3 and absolutely exhausted all the time! .Missed a bike workout this morning, I just couldn't haul my butt out of bed in time this morning so tonight I have to either do the 1 hour bike, the 30 minute run OR both. It's early in the plan - what would you guys do?..............I am assuming ( probably incorrect) that at some point my body will catch up and I won't walk round like a zombie all the time lol

What I suggest depends on how much you are sleeping. You can do both tonight as long as you also try to get 8 hours of sleep every night.
It's normal to take time to adjust to the higher amount of training. Triathletes tend to place a higher importance of trianing volume over sleep volume, though, and that's asking for trouble.
2011-02-15 3:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson
To JC, relax dude.  Transitions, if you are fast enough and didn't do any of the mumbo jumbo that you would like to practice would coust you about 4mins.  That's not a lot if you're doing a HIM.  I've done 4 sprints last year and my transitions are below or a few seconds above the 2min mark.  If you want to be faster than that, then practice away on the shoes mounted on the bike, the flying mount, rolling dismount, etc...

I feel you guys on the mental and exhaustion part.  I'm on the tail end (week 18) of the plan and went through all that.  All I can say is try not to miss any workouts but give yourself a break if you are feeling super tired.  The plan is suppose to be flexible.  As you get stronger, you find out that the training indicated in the plan is no longer enough.  In my case I ended up doing a lot more bricks than what is asked, going for much much longer bike rides, and running almost 6 times a week following the 3-2-1 program.  This is my second year and I'm going all in from all sprints last year.  I need all the training I can get.

Be flexible and let your developing fitness be the judge if you want to adapt up or adapt down the plan.  In the end, you know how you feel and even though you know your mind can push your body to finish workouts, you also don't want to risk being injured. 

That's just my .02
2011-02-15 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3356678

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-02-15 4:57 PM
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-15 2:45 PM I'm on day 2 of week 3 and absolutely exhausted all the time! .Missed a bike workout this morning, I just couldn't haul my butt out of bed in time this morning so tonight I have to either do the 1 hour bike, the 30 minute run OR both. It's early in the plan - what would you guys do?..............I am assuming ( probably incorrect) that at some point my body will catch up and I won't walk round like a zombie all the time lol

What I suggest depends on how much you are sleeping. You can do both tonight as long as you also try to get 8 hours of sleep every night.
It's normal to take time to adjust to the higher amount of training. Triathletes tend to place a higher importance of trianing volume over sleep volume, though, and that's asking for trouble.

I'm really working hard on trying to get more sleep. It's tough though. For a while I was only managing 5 - 6 hours.

Tonight I went with just 60 minutes on the trainer. I have a half mary on Sunday. When I'm done with that I will stress more if I miss a run workout.
2011-02-16 5:14 AM
in reply to: #3356411

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
popsracer - 2011-02-15 1:31 PM  I am so envious of your weather. It must be nice to ride/run outside in the sun. I too did tri's many years ago and took most of my adult life off before jumping back in. There is so much more gear to pick from. As far as what's legal, if you know which races you are doing, look on their websites to see what they say about any restrictions on things like wetsuits, disc wheels, etc. If you are not sure about anything specific just ask, there are many people here that would love to help you.

Well it has been rather cold here during this last norte - 22 to 23 C during that day and that is bundle up weather for us.  I was very temped to wear knickers on the bike yesterday but stuck with 3 layers on the top.

Mostly I wonder about all the transition rules I see people refer to mounting and shoes etc. and I'm not sure what the new rules are.  Last (and only triatlon) I did we didn't have helmets and stripped down at our bikes (HIM).  Guess you don't get nekkid anymore.    I'm sure I'll figure it out one way or another.  Still trying to get signed up for my first one (mid March, sprint).
2011-02-16 5:15 AM
in reply to: #3356668

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-02-15 3:52 PM

Welcome! Most women wear triathlon shorts and a triathlon top with either a built in bra or a fast-wicking sports bra. That way you don't have to change clothes at all.

Thanks so much.  I had a pair of tri shorts muled down to me but I'm lost on the top.  I guess I'll just use a running top but those don't chafe on the swim?

2011-02-16 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3357301

User image

Expert
San Jose
kathy caribe - 2011-02-16 3:15 AM
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-02-15 3:52 PM

Thanks so much.  I had a pair of tri shorts muled down to me but I'm lost on the top.  I guess I'll just use a running top but those don't chafe on the swim?

Last year was my first year of tri's and I used tri shorts and run tops. A couple I wore the shorts and my sports bra under my wetsuit and the others I wore the run shirt as well. I didn't have any chafing problems but I just did sprints and an oly. Is the water too warm to wear a wetsuit down there? I'm not sure if you would have chafing problems without the wetsuit but you should be ok.

Loved your blog  
2011-02-16 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Got 7 full hours sleep last night!! Got up this am at 5am and felt great. Didn't have to thi k too hard about 'hauling' out of bed which was nice. Apparently the swim coach did, as he didn't bother turning up! Still, I got a great swim in - mostly thanks to another swimmer who kindly took the time to help me with my form and give me some things to work on. Computrainer class tonight :-)
2011-02-16 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3357788

User image

Expert
San Jose
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-16 8:22 AM Got 7 full hours sleep last night!! Got up this am at 5am and felt great. Didn't have to thi k too hard about 'hauling' out of bed which was nice. Apparently the swim coach did, as he didn't bother turning up! Still, I got a great swim in - mostly thanks to another swimmer who kindly took the time to help me with my form and give me some things to work on. Computrainer class tonight :-)

Good for you! Getting more sleep usually means going to bed earlier which is hard but so worth it. Some days though it seems silly to start thinking of bed at 8:00!  
2011-02-16 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3357788

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-16 10:22 AM Got 7 full hours sleep last night!! Got up this am at 5am and felt great. Didn't have to thi k too hard about 'hauling' out of bed which was nice. Apparently the swim coach did, as he didn't bother turning up! Still, I got a great swim in - mostly thanks to another swimmer who kindly took the time to help me with my form and give me some things to work on. Computrainer class tonight :-)

How nice! Have fun in the computrainer class!
2011-02-16 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3357795

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
50andgettingfit - 2011-02-16 10:26 AM
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-16 8:22 AM Got 7 full hours sleep last night!! Got up this am at 5am and felt great. Didn't have to thi k too hard about 'hauling' out of bed which was nice. Apparently the swim coach did, as he didn't bother turning up! Still, I got a great swim in - mostly thanks to another swimmer who kindly took the time to help me with my form and give me some things to work on. Computrainer class tonight :-)

Good for you! Getting more sleep usually means going to bed earlier which is hard but so worth it. Some days though it seems silly to start thinking of bed at 8:00!  

If it seems silly and everyone else around you doesn't do it, you are on to something good. We aren't normal...it takes the ability to do what other don't to surpass normalcy.

2011-02-16 5:31 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Glad to hear the energy is back!
2011-02-16 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3358733

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-02-16 5:08 PM
50andgettingfit - 2011-02-16 10:26 AM

If it seems silly and everyone else around you doesn't do it, you are on to something good. We aren't normal...it takes the ability to do what other don't to surpass normalcy.
Haha no, bed at 8pm doesn't sound silly to me at all - it sounds WONDERFUL!! :-)
2011-02-16 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3356686

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach

As you get stronger, you find out that the training indicated in the plan is no longer enough.  In my case I ended up doing a lot more bricks than what is asked, going for much much longer bike rides, and running almost 6 times a week following the 3-2-1 program.  This is my second year and I'm going all in from all sprints last year.  I need all the training I can get. 

That's just my .02

Crud...I'm going to die!  I am barely getting in all the workouts.  Can't imagine adding more. 
2011-02-17 10:26 AM

New user

Edmonton
I am brand new to the group and my actual race isn't until July 24 in Alberta. I have done numerous sprint tri's and a handful of marathons. I plan on doing week 1 until my official start of training which will be March 7th. My issue is that we have snow, ice and bitter cold temperatures so I will not be out on my bike until probably middle to end of April. Riding the bike on the trainer not a big deal but I will not run on a treadmill so will it be detrimental to my training if I don't get all the runs in?
I am also gluten intolerant so any suggestions on nutrition
2011-02-17 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
I just started my training for Vineman HIM in July.  This will be my second at this distance.  I did Austin last year (on the BT Beginner plan).   We had to put all our stuff in bags for tansitions.  You could have your helmet and shoes on the bike, but nothing out loose.  All run stuff was in a bag.  It did take the worry out of laying things out, but I certainly hadn't had much practice dumping stuff out on the ground and then getting it togther.  But I am slow (7 min. T1 and 7:33) overall, so I just took my time and sorted things through as needed.

I am actually using the Beginner IM plan for now because I need the extra work on the bike.  I'll cut back to the HIM plan when things start getting "too" long. 

2011-02-17 5:03 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Welcome to the new folks.

I'm getting toward the end of week 5 and cannot wait for first recovery week (#8). I feel like I am progressing very well but I'm getting a bit tired. Went to bed at 9:00 last night but still dragging a bit today. It's not so much the training, but the cumulative effect of training, work, family, kids activities, church, the bathroom remodel, etc. etc. Not complaining, all these things are a great blessing (except maybe the bathroom remodel), just tired.
2011-02-17 5:26 PM

User image

Indianapolis
I just wrapped up the 16 week oly training plan to build up a base. I am starting the 20 week begin 1/2 iron plan on Monday. It's going to be a little strange because my volume is actually going to go down a little at first. I am training for Ironman Muncie in July.
2011-02-17 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach

Anyone else sick of taking showers?  haha    I feel like I am constantly having to shower and wash sweaty clothes. haha. 

Next week is the highest volume week of the whole plan.  If I can get through that then I am on my way!  yay!

2011-02-17 6:21 PM
in reply to: #3360777

Expert
akrenik - 2011-02-17 6:06 PM

Anyone else sick of taking showers?  haha    I feel like I am constantly having to shower and wash sweaty clothes. haha. 

Next week is the highest volume week of the whole plan.  If I can get through that then I am on my way!  yay!

The showers are therapy but I feel ya on the clothes.  Have been doing SO much laundry.  I go to week 6 next week too but have had a virtually non-existent week 7  Hoping to feel all better tomorrow and to get out there and strong!! Almost there--go us! 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150