BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-04-13 7:38 AM
in reply to: #3443620

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED
shrevemaintenance - 2011-04-12 11:09 PM

It's kinda funny you guys brought this up.  During my Olympic Tri a guy got a flat 4 miles from the transition area.  He carried the bike over his shoulder and walked back and then went on the run.  The sad thing was, he still beat me.  Never even saw the guy.  My wife told me about it.  I would definately change the tire.  You should be able to change one in less than 5 minutes.  I did that my first tire change.  You could always practice this to get faster.  Sounds like Michael is getting plenty of practice. 

I am so stoked.  My wife has been inspired by me and started to run.  She had been doing Kettleworx with me for a year now and lost a ton of weight and gotten really toned but had not tried any running.  We do go for "slower" "easier" bike rides together every now and then.  But she wasn't wanting to run.  She tripped me out being able to run 2.5 miles without stopping her first try.  It was slow, but it was steady.  I have slowed my running down to accomidate her and actually I am feeling better than I had been.  Now all I have to do is get her into swimming.   I perhaps see a sprint tri in her future.  She just doesn't know it yet. 

Nice!!!

that's how Anne got started. I think she got bored watching me race, and figured she could do it too!! I'm sooooooo proud of her!! She started training for her first 5k race 2 weeks before race time. She couldn't run a full mile non-stop. By race time she ran the whole 5k in 38 minutes!! Now she's even faster yet!

2011-04-13 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3443838

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
libramom - 2011-04-13 7:37 AM

shrevemaintenance - 2011-04-13 12:09 AM

I am so stoked.  My wife has been inspired by me and started to run.  She had been doing Kettleworx with me for a year now and lost a ton of weight and gotten really toned but had not tried any running.  We do go for "slower" "easier" bike rides together every now and then.  But she wasn't wanting to run.  She tripped me out being able to run 2.5 miles without stopping her first try.  It was slow, but it was steady.  I have slowed my running down to accomidate her and actually I am feeling better than I had been.  Now all I have to do is get her into swimming.   I perhaps see a sprint tri in her future.  She just doesn't know it yet. 

great about your wife, dale!!! you must be inspiring!

and now, completely unrelated- there was a "fight" that broke out in my yoga class last night. luckily it was in the back of the room and i don't think many people who were in the middle/front really noticed. it was something about this lady who moans and groans (yes, she's annoying and i have confronted her about it before, but she still does it) very loudly during class. she sometimes even moans during our final relaxation....how weird is that? anyway, the woman infront of her, i guess, got really upset with all of her moaning and purposefully (i saw it) kicked the moaner in the face while doing one of the poses. the moaner started moaning louder and finally the kicker turned around and said, "you are the most obnoxious person i have ever seen!" and walked out!

and then things are extraordinarily insane at work this week. is it a full moon?

not a full moon, but that is awesome!!!
2011-04-13 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3256125

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Oh boy!!!! I picked up my new wheels today with a powertap! Hed and Cycleop sponsors the team I'm on and cut me an incredible discount. I had to take advantage of it. I'll have to take some pics after I put some tires on them and mount them up!
2011-04-13 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3444403

User image

Veteran

Meulen - 2011-04-13 12:42 PM Oh boy!!!! I picked up my new wheels today with a powertap! Hed and Cycleop sponsors the team I'm on and cut me an incredible discount. I had to take advantage of it. I'll have to take some pics after I put some tires on them and mount them up!

Please hurry with the pics!  I know I do not ride nearly well enough to deserve them, but I absolutely love the looks of them!  You have to get the aero helmet now.  I was just reading that they actually will give you more of an advantage than the wheels.  Both of them combined will be incredible....

2011-04-13 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3444474

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
mcommend - 2011-04-13 12:12 PM

Meulen - 2011-04-13 12:42 PM Oh boy!!!! I picked up my new wheels today with a powertap! Hed and Cycleop sponsors the team I'm on and cut me an incredible discount. I had to take advantage of it. I'll have to take some pics after I put some tires on them and mount them up!

Please hurry with the pics!  I know I do not ride nearly well enough to deserve them, but I absolutely love the looks of them!  You have to get the aero helmet now.  I was just reading that they actually will give you more of an advantage than the wheels.  Both of them combined will be incredible....

LOL...

I still have to install the rim tape. I can't wait to try them out though! I will get my cone head helmet!! LOL

Edited by Meulen 2011-04-13 12:40 PM
2011-04-13 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3444568

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Meulen - 2011-04-13 1:39 PM

LOL... I still have to install the rim tape. I can't wait to try them out though! I will get my cone head helmet!! LOL

i'm sure that anne can't wait for you to get your cone head on and shave your legs. smmmmokin'!

2011-04-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3444725

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
libramom - 2011-04-13 1:37 PM

LOL... I still have to install the rim tape. I can't wait to try them out though! I will get my cone head helmet!! LOL

i'm sure that anne can't wait for you to get your cone head on and shave your legs. smmmmokin'!

She better watch out!!! I'm going to be soooo haaawt!! I'll be fightin' da girly'z off with a stick!! LOL
2011-04-13 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3444749

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Meulen - 2011-04-13 2:46 PM
libramom - 2011-04-13 1:37 PM

She better watch out!!! I'm going to be soooo haaawt!! I'll be fightin' da girly'z off with a stick!! LOL

it's true. i've had to drop kick some ladies in a downward dog because they've been trying to get with michael and his shaved legs. i just don't know what else i would do if, (God forbid) he wore an aero helmet.

2011-04-13 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3443838

User image

Expert
Canada
libramom - 2011-04-13 9:37 AM 

and now, completely unrelated- there was a "fight" that broke out in my yoga class last night. luckily it was in the back of the room and i don't think many people who were in the middle/front really noticed. it was something about this lady who moans and groans (yes, she's annoying and i have confronted her about it before, but she still does it) very loudly during class. she sometimes even moans during our final relaxation....how weird is that? anyway, the woman infront of her, i guess, got really upset with all of her moaning and purposefully (i saw it) kicked the moaner in the face while doing one of the poses. the moaner started moaning louder and finally the kicker turned around and said, "you are the most obnoxious person i have ever seen!" and walked out!

and then things are extraordinarily insane at work this week. is it a full moon?

That is why I won't do yoga...the DARK SIDE!

2011-04-13 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Canada

Helmet...helmet...helmet

The chant has started!!!

Brian, you get one & post  a pic & I might have to get one too!!  Not that I need a big push

2011-04-13 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Another 10k for me today.  Half trail & half street.  Getting a little better.  Sure is nice to be outside, in the sun, instead of the dreadmill!

2011-04-13 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3444877

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
GoGoGo - 2011-04-13 2:31 PM

what's so dark about a bunch of sweath, limber women moaning, groaning, and then duke'n it out!!
2011-04-13 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3444887

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Meulen - 2011-04-13 3:37 PM

what's so dark about a bunch of sweath, limber women moaning, groaning, and then duke'n it out!!

EWWWW.

2011-04-13 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3444931

User image

Expert
Canada
libramom - 2011-04-13 4:52 PM
Meulen - 2011-04-13 3:37 PM

EWWWW.

Ok...if there Is popcorn, I will sit &watch, otherwise I'm having no part of it!!!
2011-04-13 6:33 PM

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara
Oh yeah, Sweaty, Groany, Fighting Women.  Oh and don't forget the Farting.  Lots of farting going on in Yoga Class.  I know cause I went to one.  First the farting, then the laughing, then the smelling, then the tears. 
2011-04-13 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran

For the first time in the past week I was able to complete a ride without getting a flat.  I guess the third time was the charm, but it was not without incident.  I was cruising along the river at about 20 mph in aero position as I rounded a bend I had to look twice to see the path, and then I realized that the river had overflowed its banks and the water went up to the wall of PNC Park.  I had to get out of aero to my brakes, and I skidded to a stop about a foot short of the river. If Ihad gone into the river I probably would have been too embarrassed to come home.

QOTD:  What's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you while training or racing?  I will have to give this one some thought before I answer because things are always happening to me.

2011-04-13 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3445350

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
mcommend - 2011-04-13 8:05 PM

For the first time in the past week I was able to complete a ride without getting a flat.  I guess the third time was the charm, but it was not without incident.  I was cruising along the river at about 20 mph in aero position as I rounded a bend I had to look twice to see the path, and then I realized that the river had overflowed its banks and the water went up to the wall of PNC Park.  I had to get out of aero to my brakes, and I skidded to a stop about a foot short of the river. If Ihad gone into the river I probably would have been too embarrassed to come home.

QOTD:  What's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you while training or racing?  I will have to give this one some thought before I answer because things are always happening to me.

you really are the born loser. your college friends warned me about you, but i didn't believe them. now, 15 years later and you're still the same person.

qotd: i'm very graceful and together so i've never had anything embarrassing happen, but i can't wait to hear what others say!

2011-04-13 8:02 PM

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara

It was that time I farted in Yoga class.

2011-04-13 8:05 PM

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara
Good job Richard! Was it a race or training?  Yes, it is nice to be outside.  Which is how it is here all the time.    So spoiled.
2011-04-13 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3445444

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh

I have 3 embarrassing stories!

1) I was running a 5 mile trail race back in November. It was my first time ever even running on a trail (yeah, I realized about 2 minutes into the race that it would have probably been a good idea to go for a practice run or two...) anyway, about 2 miles in I am running down a hill and trip over a root and stumbled and tumbled down the hill. It hurt really bad and I was scared and shaken up and started to cry. A couple people asked me if I was ok and I sort of gasped that I was fine and one person patted me on the back and said "just walk it off". My leg was all bloody and it sucked but I was in the middle of the woods with nowhere to go just I just continued on and finished the race---I crossed the finish line looking like a bear attacked me or something! That's when I told myself that I would never run in the woods again unless I am being chased! Wink

2) The first day I got my clipless pedals put on my bike I tried to stop and counted unclip and wiped out in front of a big group of people. I tried to get up and go but fell over again! A cop actually was driving by and said through the loudspeaker "better learn how to ride that bike" and everyone laughed. It was SO EMBARRASSING! 

3) The first time I started swimming back in December I was absolutely awful. Seriously, I couldn;t even do 25 yards. I sometimes had to stop in the middle of the pool because I was so uncoordinated and couldnt figure out the arms and breathing. It was a mess! I was telling my friends in spinning about it the next morning and we all had a laugh. A few minutes later a guy who knew everyone else but I wasn't friends with came in and starts complaining about how the night before there was someone in the pool who was SO BAD. Everyone started laughing because we all knew he was talking about me. He put his foot in his mouth pretty bad and felt bad but I just laughed about it because it was true! If only he could see me now!

I am sure there will be plenty more as training and racing goes on...I'll definitely keep you posted. 

2011-04-13 8:41 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I'm with Michael!! I have lots!!! I'll only tell 2 though...LOL

1. I was doing my first MTB race in Iola Wisconsin. The hills there were like nothing I had ever seen at the time. I ended up walking up some of them! Embarassing enough!! However, after I was so tired from the hills and took a header over the handlebars on a flat section of singletrack into a bunch of poison ivy!!!, I was passed by 2 girls that went off in the staggered group behind me. They were literally yapping about going to the mall afterwards!!!!

2. Again MTB'ing, see a theme here!!!, I was determined to tackle a technical section I was having trouble with. I kept going back and forth till I could do it with out putting my feet down. As I went through the section and headed up the final technical climb I knew I had to get off the bike and wouldn't make it. But I couldn't get my feet out of the pedals and was falling to the right, where there happened to be about a foot left of a small broken tree sticking up. As I tried to protect my "privates" the branch caught my shorts and tore them down the leg. I had to finish out the day with one leg short short cycling shorts!!! But my at least my privates were not impaled !!! LOL

2011-04-14 4:36 AM
in reply to: #3445444

User image

Expert
Canada
shrevemaintenance - 2011-04-13 10:05 PMGood job Richard! Was it a race or training?  Yes, it is nice to be outside.  Which is how it is here all the time.    So spoiled.
Just a training run. I do envy you folks who train outside year round. Our climate does not permit that.My 6 months of outdoor training starts now!!
2011-04-14 4:41 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
Embarrassing moments...every time I swim. As per Sarah, I am bad. Unlike Sarah, I have not gotten much better!!!!!Arrgghhh
2011-04-14 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3445811

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

these are hilarious- keep the embarrassing moments coming!!! so i can continue to laugh at you all!

(and hopefully you all realize just how sarcastic my statement was about me being "all together!" i've *yet* had an embarrassing training moment, but last year while teaching pilates to one of the biggest classes i've ever had, i tripped on one of those huge exercises balls while walking around, flew half-way across the room and my head landed on some older man's lap. now that's what i call grace!).

2011-04-14 10:34 AM

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

this just in (i love saying that): that new book by the guy who ran across the U.S.- Running on Empty. Here's a link from his blog, http://marshallulrich.com/blog/book-on-sale/?ref=nf

ican't wait to read it!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 56