BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-10-01 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4436089

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!

TLakatos1259 - 2012-10-01 8:27 PM Oh, forgot to say: I've been doing the medifast diet to loose weight since I can't work out and for my surgery. I am no longer a CLYDESDALE

SO awesome Tom! Congrats! see this is what I really like about you.   Always taking forward steps no matter what. 

Ok so just checked your log.     I have never seen a weather forecast  of "mist"   please explain.   Is this normal?   or is it a precursor  for "walking dead"  or something?

2012-10-01 9:40 PM
in reply to: #4436083

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!
oriolepwr - 2012-10-01 8:24 PM

In fact  I will tell you what.    Sarah you fix your bike right away or replace it.   And I will SEND you a limited edition, extremely hard to find,  Cucumber Gatorade care package.   But you gotta get that bike fixed or replaced.   STAT!  deal? 

Ok- I'm going to need shipping details- what day it's getting shipped, what route, etc. This is very important information.
I mean this might be my only chance at this stuff- hehe.
Ok, Ok- since Sarah is all banged up and not right in the head I guess I'll let her have the Holy Grail. But sheesh what some people will do just to get some Gatorade.

Shelly

P.S. Hope everyone knows I am really just playing- just trying to make Sarah smile. This whole thing really just bites the big one.
2012-10-02 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Veteran

Sarah! So sorry to hear/read about your accident, big hugs and healing vibes coming your way!!! Rest, relax, recover - not sure about that cucumber gatorade, that might actually hurt your recovery....

Yvonne

2012-10-02 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran

Tom - way to go with the weight loss! Still making progress, I love it

TJ - CUTE, CUTE, CUTE pics!! Almost makes me want to have another, or wait, maybe I'll just borrow one to cuddle for a minute, yeah, that's much more sane

Just got back from Disney, we did the Happy Haunted 5K Trail run while there with the kiddos, fun family event, SO HUMID!! Cool medals though

Sprint triathlon this sunday, so unprepared but heck, I'll give it a shot!

2012-10-02 7:32 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
TLakatos1259 - 2012-10-01 8:27 PMOh, forgot to say:I've been doing the medifast diet to loose weight since I can't work out and for my surgery.I am no longer a CLYDESDALE
Woohoo! Congrats!
2012-10-02 8:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

TLakatos1259 - 2012-10-01 9:27 PM Oh, forgot to say: I've been doing the medifast diet to loose weight since I can't work out and for my surgery. I am no longer a CLYDESDALE

WTG Tom!!!!  That is awesome.

Best of luck to Yvonne on her sprint this weekend and all of you Chicago marathoners!  So it's Dave, Q, and Mike in the race, correct?  Hope I did leave anyone out. 

2012-10-03 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4436148

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

fitmomma2010 - 2012-10-01 10:40 PM Ok, Ok- since Sarah is all banged up and not right in the head I guess I'll let her have the Holy Grail.

LOL Shelly!! I was never right in the head to begin with!! I think maybe I had some sense knocked into me!! Actually, it was all a ploy to get the coveted Cucumber Gatorade...the lengths some people will go to!!

Well....I'm baaaack!! I swam today, which was my first training since the accident, and I felt pretty good. Some pain in my arm, but it subsided after the first 10 minutes. My headaches have been gone for the past two days, and I finally brought my bike in to get repaired...not sure how long that will take.

Q - I saw your post on the thread in the main forum, and I think I will start using my trainer more for my bike workouts. I'm gonna have to get one of those fancy bike computers that you can use indoors to tell how fast you are going. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

Tom - GOOD FOR YOU!! That is so impessive that you have been able to stick to a diet without being able to work out. It will be so much easier for you to get back into things (especially running) without the added weight.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you. I know I've never personally met any of you, but you have become very good friends, and your "virtual" support has really helped me through this last week. I appreciate my local friends that I see on a daily basis, but since many of them are not into endurance sports, it's hard for them to really grasp the range of emotions I went though last week. My plan is to race in Austin...but I am allowing myself to change my mind at any time...even the morning of the race!

2012-10-03 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4418997

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

SEPTEMBER TOTALS:

Name     Swim yrds/Bike miles/Run miles   Total time

Sarah     20510     328.24       48.24        34:22:09

Quincy    5724       129.50        62.59         20:17:56

Mike        0             26.40        116.40       19:59:49 

Dave       0            128.00        60.50         17:05:25     

Todd       ?              ?               42.00         16:05:00

Alicia       0            181.50         1.00          10:51.12

Shelly      0             62.97        20.80          08:43:08   

TJ            ?             70.57         2.99          08:17:16

Pink         ?             44.50        61.85         08:09:00

Yvonne     400         47.34         8.72          05:28:45

Jackie      0             0              15.90          02:28:24

Tom        INJURED RESERVE LIST

I am not responsible for the accuracy of these stats...I have had recent dain bramage

2012-10-03 2:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Sarah, so glad that you are feeling better!  Glad that the headaches are gone and you are able to begin training.  You are in inspiration!
2012-10-03 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4436107

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-10-01 9:47 PM

TLakatos1259 - 2012-10-01 8:27 PM Oh, forgot to say: I've been doing the medifast diet to loose weight since I can't work out and for my surgery. I am no longer a CLYDESDALE

SO awesome Tom! Congrats! see this is what I really like about you.   Always taking forward steps no matter what. 

Ok so just checked your log.     I have never seen a weather forecast  of "mist"   please explain.   Is this normal?   or is it a precursor  for "walking dead"  or something?

I would describe "mist" as a mixture of drizzle and fog. Of course in New Jersey that could mean an elected official not knowing where they are going? Oh, wait, that is normal. LOL

Hey Bro, thanks for saying. I appreciate it.
2012-10-03 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4438673

User image

Master
St. Louis
Sarah73 - 2012-10-03 10:20 AM

fitmomma2010 - 2012-10-01 10:40 PM Ok, Ok- since Sarah is all banged up and not right in the head I guess I'll let her have the Holy Grail.

LOL Shelly!! I was never right in the head to begin with!! I think maybe I had some sense knocked into me!! Actually, it was all a ploy to get the coveted Cucumber Gatorade...the lengths some people will go to!!

Well....I'm baaaack!! I swam today, which was my first training since the accident, and I felt pretty good. Some pain in my arm, but it subsided after the first 10 minutes. My headaches have been gone for the past two days, and I finally brought my bike in to get repaired...not sure how long that will take.

Q - I saw your post on the thread in the main forum, and I think I will start using my trainer more for my bike workouts. I'm gonna have to get one of those fancy bike computers that you can use indoors to tell how fast you are going. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

Tom - GOOD FOR YOU!! That is so impessive that you have been able to stick to a diet without being able to work out. It will be so much easier for you to get back into things (especially running) without the added weight.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you. I know I've never personally met any of you, but you have become very good friends, and your "virtual" support has really helped me through this last week. I appreciate my local friends that I see on a daily basis, but since many of them are not into endurance sports, it's hard for them to really grasp the range of emotions I went though last week. My plan is to race in Austin...but I am allowing myself to change my mind at any time...even the morning of the race!

Glad you are feeling better!I have a cateye double wireless bike computer and mounted the speed sensor on the rear wheel so it measure speed on the trainer or on the road. It also has a cadence sensor which I use heavily (when I'm actually riding :-))

2012-10-04 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran

Well howdy strangers!  I've been gone a loooonnnngggg time and I've missed you guys.  I got a note from Dave when I jumped on today to catch up my training log and I wanted to jump in and say hi.    I just got to the point where I couldn't keep up with the on-line part of all of this.  Good news is I HAVE been keeping up with my training.  I'm eyeball deep in marathon training.  I have a full marathon on October 20th here in Indy.  My training has been super, super good!  This is the first time I've followed every run of a training program and haven't had any health issues or anything.  Knock wood!  I have 1 more 20-miler tomorrow morning and then I taper baby!  My goal is 4:10, which is 10 minutes faster than the marathon I ran last October.  Fingers crossed...I'm definitely on track to meet my goal.  I'll take some time to read back through some posts and try to get caught up with everyone.

Dave...a special thanks for reaching out.  I'm SO glad you did! 

Jax

2012-10-04 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4441265

User image

Veteran

I see there was some kind of tracking going on for September.  I just entered in all my totals for September, so add those to the list!  I was only slacking on the tracking...not the doing!! 

2012-10-05 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4441265

User image

Veteran
DaDooRunRun - 2012-10-04 5:25 PM

Well howdy strangers!  I've been gone a loooonnnngggg time and I've missed you guys.  I got a note from Dave when I jumped on today to catch up my training log and I wanted to jump in and say hi.    I just got to the point where I couldn't keep up with the on-line part of all of this.  Good news is I HAVE been keeping up with my training.  I'm eyeball deep in marathon training.  I have a full marathon on October 20th here in Indy.  My training has been super, super good!  This is the first time I've followed every run of a training program and haven't had any health issues or anything.  Knock wood!  I have 1 more 20-miler tomorrow morning and then I taper baby!  My goal is 4:10, which is 10 minutes faster than the marathon I ran last October.  Fingers crossed...I'm definitely on track to meet my goal.  I'll take some time to read back through some posts and try to get caught up with everyone.

Dave...a special thanks for reaching out.  I'm SO glad you did! 

Jax

Way to go Jackie, nice to see you back. Good Luck on the race.
Tom
2012-10-05 6:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Question for everyone.  I did my first OWS today (Yea!  Happy Dance!) and wore my Garmin 305.  I left it set to run.  After 14:30, it said that it was .63 miles.  Very obviously wrong and I'm assuming my arm stroke messed it up.  Has anyone had this issue and if so, do you how much it is off?  I was doing loops back and forth.  Also, do you use your Garmin in tris and do you set it on autosport?  I guess I've got to pull the manual out and look at it.  I hate reading manuals.

Well anyway, I'm thrilled because I conquered a few fears out there.  I noticed that any time I got close to the grass, my HR jumped.  But I handled the nasty water, sighted ok, didn't completely freak as DH and I passed each other, and mentally I was ok without the constant touching in a pool.  Of course I still start hyperventilating when I think of being hit and climbed over on the swim but I'm trying to get my brain ready for it.  I think the race is going to have two more practice OWS so I'm planning to make both of them and take my punches.  I think that I did around the sprint distance today so I'm pretty psyched.

Good luck to our racers this weekend!!!!!  Don't we have Dave and Q in Chicago marathon (and Mike?)?  Shelly with a tri and Alicia too?  Swift feet to all of you and please, please stay away from the pre-pizza meals.  Celebration pizza is great but not before the race; that just makes my stomach hurl.

2012-10-05 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4443171

User image

Master
St. Louis
Pink Socks - 2012-10-05 6:29 PM

Question for everyone.  I did my first OWS today (Yea!  Happy Dance!) and wore my Garmin 305.  I left it set to run.  After 14:30, it said that it was .63 miles.  Very obviously wrong and I'm assuming my arm stroke messed it up.  Has anyone had this issue and if so, do you how much it is off?  I was doing loops back and forth.  Also, do you use your Garmin in tris and do you set it on autosport?  I guess I've got to pull the manual out and look at it.  I hate reading manuals.

Well anyway, I'm thrilled because I conquered a few fears out there.  I noticed that any time I got close to the grass, my HR jumped.  But I handled the nasty water, sighted ok, didn't completely freak as DH and I passed each other, and mentally I was ok without the constant touching in a pool.  Of course I still start hyperventilating when I think of being hit and climbed over on the swim but I'm trying to get my brain ready for it.  I think the race is going to have two more practice OWS so I'm planning to make both of them and take my punches.  I think that I did around the sprint distance today so I'm pretty psyched.

Good luck to our racers this weekend!!!!!  Don't we have Dave and Q in Chicago marathon (and Mike?)?  Shelly with a tri and Alicia too?  Swift feet to all of you and please, please stay away from the pre-pizza meals.  Celebration pizza is great but not before the race; that just makes my stomach hurl.

I don't have a garmin, so I can't help there. Congrats on a good OWS! It can be quite scary. I usually start at the back outside position of my wave and try to swim a little wide. That usually helps with the traffic. I also plan on feeling like I'm out of breath 30 seconds into the race from going out to hard. My plan is to swim until that happens then stop, tread water for 30 seconds while spinning in a 360 to take in all the sights and smile that I'm doing this crazy sport, then I can start my race.

2012-10-06 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
MAY THE LEGS BE WITH YOU ALL THIS WEEKEND.

Lets go Shelly, Dave & Q

I'm down to just under 197 and falling, oops I mean losing, oops I mean decreasing. Losing and Falling are not good words for Triathletes LOL

I've decided to just stay on the diet until after my surgery in less than 3 weeks. I start PT (physical therapy) on Tuesday for 2x week for 6 weeks. Which will go past my surgery, hopefully a good thing.

Tom
2012-10-06 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Great work on the weight loss Tom. You are gonna have to trade in the Orca wear for some dolphin stuff.

Enjoy your weekend everyone. And remember, we are part of the Oriolepwr Tour so we are all O's fans for the postseason. Beat them Yankees! 

2012-10-07 7:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

If anyone has Comcast, "Race Across the Sky" and "Spirit of the Marathon" are under free movies.  Race Across the Sky ends tomorrow.

Hope everyone had good races.

2012-10-08 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran

Okay I'm having a pity party as my tri got called due to weather!! I was IN the POOL, so not fair, about half way done when the lifeguards started going nuts with those whistles and pulling us out I was so excited to do this one, even though I hadn't been training much, because it was the official end of my first year of tri-ing and was the same event I started with last year so I really wanted to compare my improvement.  I know I was going to slice at lease 1:00 minute off my swim (I moved up several waves from last year)....but I really wanted to see what I could do on the bike since I have my road bike now and used a mountain bike last year.

Oh well, live to race another day.  I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed the torrential rains on the bike/run anyway.....

Hope everyone else had good events/training this weekend!

2012-10-08 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4444929

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Ybeal - 2012-10-08 9:57 AM

Okay I'm having a pity party as my tri got called due to weather!! I was IN the POOL, so not fair, about half way done when the lifeguards started going nuts with those whistles and pulling us out I was so excited to do this one, even though I hadn't been training much, because it was the official end of my first year of tri-ing and was the same event I started with last year so I really wanted to compare my improvement.  I know I was going to slice at lease 1:00 minute off my swim (I moved up several waves from last year)....but I really wanted to see what I could do on the bike since I have my road bike now and used a mountain bike last year.

Oh well, live to race another day.  I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed the torrential rains on the bike/run anyway.....

Hope everyone else had good events/training this weekend!

Oh no! Yeah lightening is bad! I'm so sorry you got cancelled. I've never had that happen or a DNS, but I remember how disappointed I was when I tried to sign up for Racine and it was sold out. Can't imagine what it would be like getting pulled out of the pool. Bummer!

I'll post a race report sometime today. Race went well but I am in agony...going to go walk around a little bit to keep the stiffness at bay.

2012-10-08 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4444929

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Ybeal - 2012-10-08 10:57 AM

Yvonne, so sorry!  Well, that just blows.  But as you say, you live to race another day.  Next year you'lll go in and truly slay it.

2012-10-08 8:16 PM
in reply to: #4443171

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Pink Socks - 2012-10-05 6:29 PM

The 305 won't track you very well on an OWS. Did you download the map of the swim? That might clarify what it's tracking. What happens is that as soon as the watch goes underwater, it loses sattelites and tries to reacquire when your arm is recovering, but it's not long enough. So it has a general idea of where you are but since it can't fix you to a small point in space it guesses. Each guess is a point on your mapped track but unlike each point on a run the swim points are all over. Your track ends up looking like the EKG of a heart attack. Hence the goofy distances.

The 310xt is a bit better b/c of the software tweaking they've done on it in the last 18 months. It basically takes an educated guess at your track based on the waypoints, and "smooths" out the jagged edges. I don't know if there are any software updates to be had for the 305 to help with that. I doubt it. The 910 works great in a true OWS. Weirdly it can't do laps in an open water pool. It has a lap function but that only works if you know the exact length of the pool

All of this information is useless to you. Except to say that if you want good ows information, you'll probably need to get a 310 or a 910. Or put the garmin on the top of your head under your swim cap. That actually works great. DC rainmaker did a comparison of two 310xt's one under his cap and one on his arm with the new smoothing software and the old school 310 tracked his swim better from under his cap. I can't encourage you to do that because the more I race the less I care about exact numbers, but that may just be me.

I have tried to use mine in races in multi sport mode and goon it up every time. Seriously, an ironman timex watch is probably as useful. You have to hit the lap button every time you cross a timing mat on either one and the timex is less likely to accidentally get turned off or confused about what you are doing. Once you get out of sequence on a 910 or a 310, it's all gooned up and not something you're going to want to try to fix mid-race.

I would do the OWS practices...hopefully they will put you all in a little group and have you swim a 14/ mile or so together to get an idea of what it feels like.

The one thing I hate about combat swimming (I'm mostly ok with it) is the idea of someone frog kicking me in my face. So if I perceive I'm coming up on someone like that, sometimes I will leave my arm out in front of my face to try to feel where they are...even sort of push them away from me. Not a mean push, just a positive claim on the space in front of my nose. One way to practice this kind of swimming is to work on the catch up drill, where the non stroking arm remains in front of you until the recovering arm is in front of you. You always have a hand in front of your face. If you practice this a lot, you can incorporate it into your OWS defensive swimming.

2012-10-08 8:49 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Will be back soon.   I am out scouring the area for more Cucumber Gatorade.    Oh and watching Orioles playoff baseball    Oh yeah and running marathons   ok just one   you know what I mean.    

Carry on.   I am in total lurk mode.

2012-10-09 5:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Quincy, thank you so much!  That makes perfect sense about why my Garmin went wacky.  I never did look at the map of it but I guess it did look like a EKG.  And while I think the idea of sticking the Garmin under my swimcap is hilarious, I'll pass on that because I'm too klutzy and I would lose it, whack my head with another swimmer, or something equally dumb.  I may use the Garmin on either the bike (I don't have a bike computer) or the run but I won't take it on the run. swim.

Just got the word that they will offer two more OWS swims before the tri and I will be there.  The first one will be in the same lake that I used for my OWS so it will be more familiar.  The 2nd one will be at the tri site so it will be nice to get a feel for the true location.  I know that they do put us in small groups and then larger groups so we can get a feel for the contact aspect.  I'll try out your technique to ward off those frog legs.

Thanks for the help! 

Edited by Pink Socks 2012-10-09 10:16 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51