BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-04-06 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1088860

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS
OK...now that I finally caught up on the messages....hope everyone has a fabulous day. Go out and live life to its fullest!!!! and do not forget to do some of that while running, biking or swimming!!!

2008-04-06 12:54 PM
in reply to: #1318803

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-06 1:23 PM
  • .. Their times wouldn't be considered for awards, but they could submit them and have them posted on our website (if I can figure that out)....
  • .. so maybe BT peeps will not only support it....

• Julie,

What's the website?

Also, you can include information about the event (or your website) on your BT log or your signature line. That way, people would see it. It's tri-related, and it's for a good cause.

If you put something on your sig line, well, that's 1737 posts where people would see the information.

2008-04-06 3:41 PM
    in reply to: #1318838

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California

D001 - 2008-04-06 10:54 AM
    Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-06 1:23 PM ... Their times wouldn't be considered for awards, but they could submit them and have them posted on our website (if I can figure that out).... ... so maybe BT peeps will not only support it....
    Julie, What's the website? Also, you can include information about the event (or your website) on your BT log or your signature line. That way, people would see it. It's tri-related, and it's for a good cause. If you put something on your sig line, well, that's 1737 posts where people would see the information.

will do...thanks Dee....any chance you can make it for this race?? if so, you would definitely rate as one of my guests to get one of the few beds we have at the cabin! hoping so!

Do not WERK too hard, and if it is any consolation...I am werking right along side you today...although, my job is sooooooooooo not stressful...at least today! hehe...good to see that you finally posted for that much needed employee...best o luck and hope they find someone good!

2008-04-06 4:35 PM
    in reply to: #1319067

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tucson, AZ

Great energy Julie, one thought though...  Give Gregg some time to get the stuff figured out for the "phantom" teams before we "go national".  Then there can be a focal point for energy, signing up, etc.  I am sure we can get something set up with Kintera or Active.com.   I do a lot of fund-raising and we want the infrastructure in place before we start getting all our BT and tri friends too excited...

Food for thought, Emerson

Now, off for a 15 mile bike ride in the AZ sun.

2008-04-06 5:56 PM
    in reply to: #1319171

User image

Expert
    Spring (Houston), TX
    etknowles - 2008-04-06 4:35 PM

Great energy Julie, one thought though... Give Gregg some time to get the stuff figured out for the "phantom" teams before we "go national". Then there can be a focal point for energy, signing up, etc. I am sure we can get something set up with Kintera or Active.com. I do a lot of fund-raising and we want the infrastructure in place before we start getting all our BT and tri friends too excited...

When ET Knowles speaks, people listen!

The staff loved the idea as well. The more I thought about it, it just makes sense. I don't think that USAT points can be awarded since the times aren't official, but I don't think people will have an issue with that. So, it's online and ready to go. When someone registers for the race, they now have the options to be a Phantom Racer - Adult or Phantom Racer - 17 and Under. We will mail phantom racers a race t-shirt. I've also added the "Tot Trot" to the registration. This will be a fun time killer between the adult and kids race as the timing crew resets for the 2nd race.

You guys are awesome!

Greg 

2008-04-06 6:48 PM
    in reply to: #1319286

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tucson, AZ
    Glad some nugget of my experience can help.... but it was Eric that started the phantom racer idea...  I just ran with it from an execution standpoint.    Emerson

Edited by etknowles 2008-04-06 6:49 PM

2008-04-06 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
    Charlotte, NC

Greg,

It sounds like your race really will have it all now....a great cause, a distance short enough to attract even those "no way will I ever do a triathlon" folks, and now a way for the true never wills and can't make its to be a part of an incredible event.  Hopefully our little bit of help will give you a push towards that awesome fundraising goal of yours.  I know how much cancer affected and still affects my own finances.  I'm still working to repay a home equity line that was used to pay my mortgage when I was sick and taking home half of my normal salary.  I think putting cash into families hands is probably one of the greatest gifts they could receive.  We all know that doesn't change their situation but it does help take away a small amount of stress and let the family focus on supporting their loved one.

I hope the rest of you had a wonderful weekend!

2008-04-06 7:43 PM
    in reply to: #1319286

User image

Master
    Mishicot, Wisconsin
    mman - 2008-04-06 5:56 PM
    etknowles - 2008-04-06 4:35 PM

Great energy Julie, one thought though... Give Gregg some time to get the stuff figured out for the "phantom" teams before we "go national". Then there can be a focal point for energy, signing up, etc. I am sure we can get something set up with Kintera or Active.com. I do a lot of fund-raising and we want the infrastructure in place before we start getting all our BT and tri friends too excited...

When ET Knowles speaks, people listen!

The staff loved the idea as well. The more I thought about it, it just makes sense. I don't think that USAT points can be awarded since the times aren't official, but I don't think people will have an issue with that. So, it's online and ready to go. When someone registers for the race, they now have the options to be a Phantom Racer - Adult or Phantom Racer - 17 and Under. We will mail phantom racers a race t-shirt. I've also added the "Tot Trot" to the registration. This will be a fun time killer between the adult and kids race as the timing crew resets for the 2nd race.

You guys are awesome!

Greg

Greg, I am so happy!!!  I was trying everything in my power to get down there that weekend, but the chances didn't look so good.  Now I can be a phantom racer and still help out the great cause.  Thanks for making that an option!  Plus that weekend is IM WI and I think I am volunteering so now I can do both! 

2008-04-06 9:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tucson, AZ

Before we go too public with this, we need to think through how to frame it and what type of thread to start...  Signing up is good, signing up and making a donation at the same time is better...

Getting a donor to pay for the shirts so 100% of the fee goes to the charity helps.  It adds to the energy and willingness of folks to add on if they think 100% is going to the cause.  I don't know what kind of deal you get on the shirts but we got most of our Stroke Stomper shirts in the $5 - $7 range, single color fully printed both sides. 

The math is easy...

250 sign ups with a $50 margin is $12,500

250 sign ups with a $100 margin is $25,000

$25,000 is better... 

2008-04-06 11:36 PM
    in reply to: #1319171

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California
    etknowles - 2008-04-06 2:35 PM

Great energy Julie, one thought though...  Give Gregg some time to get the stuff figured out for the "phantom" teams before we "go national".  Then there can be a focal point for energy, signing up, etc.  I am sure we can get something set up with Kintera or Active.com.   I do a lot of fund-raising and we want the infrastructure in place before we start getting all our BT and tri friends too excited...

right on! I can wait....but Greg you can still send me a sponsor packet. I would like electronic and hard copies if possible...no hurry, no you have a lot on your plate....at your leisure...just a friendly reminder!

2008-04-06 11:38 PM
    in reply to: #1319406

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California

etknowles - 2008-04-06 4:48 PM Glad some nugget of my experience can help.... but it was Eric that started the phantom racer idea...  I just ran with it from an execution standpoint.    Emerson

love that you do not try and take someone elses glory! what a guy!!

and Eric...great idea!

2008-04-06 11:40 PM
    in reply to: #1319489

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California
    medic0020 - 2008-04-06 5:26 PM

Greg,

It sounds like your race really will have it all now....a great cause, a distance short enough to attract even those "no way will I ever do a triathlon" folks, and now a way for the true never wills and can't make its to be a part of an incredible event.  Hopefully our little bit of help will give you a push towards that awesome fundraising goal of yours.  I know how much cancer affected and still affects my own finances.  I'm still working to repay a home equity line that was used to pay my mortgage when I was sick and taking home half of my normal salary.  I think putting cash into families hands is probably one of the greatest gifts they could receive.  We all know that doesn't change their situation but it does help take away a small amount of stress and let the family focus on supporting their loved one.

BUMP!!!

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! stress is something they do not need to deal with!!!  what a great way to help these families in a time of need!

2008-04-07 7:47 AM
    in reply to: #1319489

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tucson, AZ
    medic0020 - 2008-04-06 5:26 PM

Greg,

I second what Julie noted and Eric said.... I am still paying off Peg's medical expenses.  It will be a long time before all the debt I racked up will be gone.  Much of her therapy and none of the custodial care was covered...

2008-04-07 8:37 AM
    in reply to: #1319751

User image

Expert
    Spring (Houston), TX
    etknowles - 2008-04-06 9:43 PM

Before we go too public with this, we need to think through how to frame it and what type of thread to start... Signing up is good, signing up and making a donation at the same time is better...

Getting a donor to pay for the shirts so 100% of the fee goes to the charity helps. It adds to the energy and willingness of folks to add on if they think 100% is going to the cause. I don't know what kind of deal you get on the shirts but we got most of our Stroke Stomper shirts in the $5 - $7 range, single color fully printed both sides.

The math is easy...

250 sign ups with a $50 margin is $12,500

250 sign ups with a $100 margin is $25,000

$25,000 is better...

Agreed! We are looking to our sponsors to do just this, though don't have one lined up yet. Our shirts last year were about $6, but will be able to cut that cost a little this year by changing our print strategy (we had printing on the sleeves last year) and by having more volume (the phantom racers help with that too).

We are also trying to offer HeadSweats hats & visors  for sale and looking for a sponsor to cover those. The hats will have a somewhat generic tri logo on  them so that any triathlete would want one, but will have our website on the back. Performance Bike was a sponsor last year (local store). I'm going to approach them corporately and ask them to supply the headwear and to sell in in their stores. They cover the cost. We split the profit. Now we have national exposure and get "Stef" hats everywhere. Don't know if it will work, but that's one thought. ACE Hardware is another of our sponsors, so will approach them with the same kind of deal, except they probably won't be selling then nationally. Who knows. Maybe BT will help in some way too by putting them in their store online, or something.

Anther thing to think about. Last year we featured families in the fight. We'll do something similar this year. Stephanie's pet project has been to create a special goodie bag for these families. She's been able to get a book donated (30 days to live by a local author - all autographed by the author), and a beautiful angel thing to hang on the wall. Her goal is to give away 25 bags. Help us think of things or ask people you know what we could give to these patients/families that would be meaningful to them. Blankets? Figurines? Artwork? CDs w/ peaceful music? So far, everything for this has been donated. We want this to be something special.

Off to MD Anderson,

Greg 

2008-04-07 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
    Charlotte, NC

Greg,

I think that's a great idea to include something special for those families.  I'll be thinking about stuff that you might be able to include.

Eric

2008-04-07 2:09 PM

User image

Master
    Mishicot, Wisconsin
    Wow... I really feel like I am part of something special here.  Greg, let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

2008-04-07 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Greg,

When is the date of the race? I guess I could look back here but I'm in a bit of a rush today.
    If I can help with any advice on the screenprinting or if you want to see if the prices are fair just give me a hollar. I have a screeprinting/sign business here in Indiana and have been in business for 14 years. Is it a one, two or three color design? What color of shirts are you printing, and qty? I would like to help out, I could do them at cost, but I think the shipping would kill us. Just a thought.

Amy IN
    2008-04-07 4:35 PM

User image

Expert
    Spring (Houston), TX

The race is Sept 7. You are probably right on shipping on shirts. Signs/banners may be a different story. Last year we ordered about 600 shirts, including volunteers. This year we will have nearly 2x more racers (including the tots) and we ran out of volunteer shirts last year. I may not increase that though - as long as key peeps have a shirt, then we're ok. We had over 120 volunteers last year and only 100 shirts. I'd rather have that than being short on volunteers.

I do have a question for you. My graphic artist has a design in mind that starts on the front of the shirt, the wraps around one side. She invisions a runner in a starting position (low and crouched) where the head and torso are on the front and the legs wrap around. Is that possible to do? Is there a big surcharge for something like that. Last year she did a really cool design. Looks like she's at it again.

Thanks!

2008-04-07 7:11 PM
    in reply to: #1320883

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California
    medic0020 - 2008-04-07 10:22 AM

Greg,

I think that's a great idea to include something special for those families.  I'll be thinking about stuff that you might be able to include.

Eric

Likewise! you are doing a great thing! good luck at M. D. Anderson....if you are on the 4th floor....look for a Dr. Ames...he was my doctor. Know he is still there...saw him last time I was in Houston! he is an amazing Doctor!  good luck...tell Stephanie hi!

How was her long a$$ treatment yesterday? hope she faired it well! I will go to church in the morning ESPECIALLY for her! take care now!!!!

2008-04-07 7:26 PM
    in reply to: #1321733

User image

Champion
    Santa Cruz, California
    mman - 2008-04-07 2:35 PM

The race is Sept 7. You are probably right on shipping on shirts. Signs/banners may be a different story. Last year we ordered about 600 shirts, including volunteers. This year we will have nearly 2x more racers (including the tots) and we ran out of volunteer shirts last year. I may not increase that though - as long as key peeps have a shirt, then we're ok. We had over 120 volunteers last year and only 100 shirts. I'd rather have that than being short on volunteers.

I do have a question for you. My graphic artist has a design in mind that starts on the front of the shirt, the wraps around one side. She invisions a runner in a starting position (low and crouched) where the head and torso are on the front and the legs wrap around. Is that possible to do? Is there a big surcharge for something like that. Last year she did a really cool design. Looks like she's at it again.

Thanks!

Greg, you should be more selective on handing out the volunteers shirts...we offer free lunches...and most of the time we get those donated to us from Subway...you may check into something like that....they love getting free food...and the shirts were given to those who were only on the course! just a thought!

as for special items....cds with past race pictures or the amazing footage that I cry every time I see it...would be nice! If I were to receive one that is what I would want...I also just did a race for relay and since I was on the VIP survivor list...I was given a bag with lots of free certificates that were donated ...such as a free haircut, free manicure, free lunch at a local deli...a $10 movie card, a medal...my mom and I were soooo touched by their generosity! these items were all donated by local merchants, so you are not out a penny! will think of other items..too. I can do a lot of this for you, too!

one way we used to get sponsors for our bike race, was to show them the shirts we had made and say...would you like to be a part of an amazing race and have your name on the front if you are a $???? sponsor and if you do not want to donate the bigger amounts you would be put on the back. You can also have the kids race named after a sponsor...this way they get their name out there more! For our race we have three different races...(uphill, downhill, crosscountry) for each of them we offer sponsors to choose a name for the year...for instance COOL TOOL UPHILL, KOOKA CRANKS DOWNHILL, SPECIALIZED CROSS COUNTRY...this gives you an opportunity to offer more big sponsors a chance to get involved.

Have many more ideas.....

Do you do a raffle? cuz I am good at getting raffle prizes?!

Ok gotta go get ready for dinner....DH's birthday...and know he will be home soon!

Let me know what I can do to take some of the weight off of your shoulders...you have a lot going on and...would love to help as this is my slow time....

Have a great evening all! CAN I JUST SAY - YOU ARE THE BESTEST MENTOR TEAM! Way to all hop in and help with this cause! Eric and I have a reason...we are cancer survivors...the rest of you are angels!

2008-04-07 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tucson, AZ

Julie, you make wonderful points.  But, for the record,  I think Dee is a survivor and I am a survivor too... By some odd coincidence, I think when we started this group we had four survivors...  That is pretty many out of a group of maybe eight and it is now over half of who is left over.... I hope the Amys and Pam never have to face the issue, the money we all raise will make a difference so that the future will spare so many.

I have met Amy of CA and what a great family.  I get to meet Julie next weekend and maybe again in Carmel on the 27th.  I hope to meet Amy of IN this summer.  She can't be that far from Cincinnati.

Thanks for all the support this spring.  My next marathon is in less than three weeks and I am really psyched.  I hope to run a 4:15 and still enjoy the whole day. 

Have a full and wonderful week.  Now, off to a shower, dinner and a church meeting. 

Edited by etknowles 2008-04-07 7:46 PM

2008-04-07 7:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Greg-you are talking about a wrap-around design, and you would have to find a shop that has a belt printer that can print a wrap design, that cost would be substantially more.

No pressure, but keep us in mind for the shirts, I would like to see if we could get you more profit out of the deal. But if you have a business relationship with someone there I understand.

At the 1200 qty we could do a long sleeve white, front 2-3 color design, back 1-color and side arm 1-color for $5.00 a shirt, a color shirt would be $6.00. Of course if you only do a front design, cost is much lower.
    If you do short sleeve white on the same qty , and minus the arm, the shirts would be $3.50 each, color shirt would be $4.50. We wouldn't charge any shipping charge.

How many banners do you use for the race?

Just let me know if I can help.

Edited by amy mutz 2008-04-07 8:01 PM
    2008-04-07 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Emerson-we will definately meet up this summer sometime... What race are you doing in less than 3 weeks???? We (me and husband) are doing the Louisville Derby Mini Marathon two weeks from this Saturday. Have you ever thought of doing the Washington D.C. Marine Corps Marry? My husband and I are doing that one this year, sign ups are April 30th, and a friend said it fills up quickly. I have never done a mini or full...I don't know why...ha Maybe it's because I only started running one year ago, and I couldn't even do a block, and running is never easy for me. But I love a challenge, so there ya go.

Hope everyone had a great Monday!!!! I got back in the saddle today, took my bike out on the tri course, it was good for the first time in 6 months. Ooops.

2008-04-07 8:15 PM
    in reply to: #1322258

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Tucson, AZ

Amy of IN, I am running the Big Sur International in Carmel California on the 27th.  I have not decided what I am going to do this summer yet, but we can find one "in-between" your fine town and Cincinnati. 

Peggy and I will be there from late May until mid September...  EK

2008-04-07 8:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Greg- I have a daily prayer list of people needing blessing and I'm going to add Stephanie to the list.

Julie-I agree, I LOVE THIS GROUP!!!!!
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  

of 73