BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-03-26 1:23 PM
in reply to: #1294441

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed
lkagop - 2008-03-26 9:38 AM

A ha!  Thanks, Jay.  That helps.  So, I guess that's another area where quick-drying clothing comes in handy.

To expand on what Jay said, wet suits are designed to let in, and hold, a thin film of water against your body. It then uses your body heat to warm that film of water to help keep you warm. That is why fit is so important. If your suit is to loose it is constantly flushing water in and out, so your body is constantly trying to heat the new water, so it is giving off heat with no return benifits. And of course if your suit is to tight it will be to restrictive to swim, and pos cause some pain / chaffing issues.  

2008-03-26 2:19 PM
in reply to: #1295295

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
ditchdoc - 2008-03-26 2:23 PM

A ha!  Thanks, Jay.  That helps.  So, I guess that's another area where quick-drying clothing comes in handy.

To expand on what Jay said, wet suits are designed to let in, and hold, a thin film of water against your body. It then uses your body heat to warm that film of water to help keep you warm. That is why fit is so important. If your suit is to loose it is constantly flushing water in and out, so your body is constantly trying to heat the new water, so it is giving off heat with no return benifits. And of course if your suit is to tight it will be to restrictive to swim, and pos cause some pain / chaffing issues.  

Very interesting.  I'm so glad you told me that.  I'm pretty clueless.

So, does one wear anything underneath that thing?  I am way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy modest and now I'm getting nervous.  I'm sure I'll figure something out (like sacrificing my time and purposely being the last one out of T1), but I just gotta know.

Many thanks, Lora

2008-03-26 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Veteran

I lived there at one time but don't anymore...wish I did so I had people to train with...it's pretty lonely out here in the sticks as not many people and noone that has interest in this type of sport. 

2008-03-26 2:50 PM

User image

Veteran

Guess the bike can go back on the trainer...snow again tonight...again over the weekend...again mid next week....looking last April 5th I can take a ride outside!!!!!  Anyone have room for me in a basement corner so I can leave! 

2008-03-26 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Went birthday shopping today! (even though my bday is 3 weeks away) Parents got me zoot ultra tempo shoes, grandparents got me zoot trifit shorts and racerback tank, and hubby got me a polar S625X heart rate monitor. I was definitely spoiled! I would put a picture in the post, but I'm not sure how. Anyone know how?
2008-03-26 4:05 PM
in reply to: #1295721

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Hey, Heather. Great to see your post. I've missed hearing from you. You've got the gear now! Re: posting pictures. Aviator gave the advice of taking pictures from photobucket or snapfish that you've uploaded and attaching them to the file. Click to respond to a post and look at the bottom. There's a box that says attach a file after posting -- click that and then submit and a browse box will come up and you can find and put the picture in there and click submit. The file can't be too big though and that's why I had to go through snapfish first -- to scale down the picture. Hope that makes sense.

2008-03-26 4:26 PM
in reply to: #1295721

User image

Veteran

I'd say that's spoiled...that sounds like a couple birthdays and christmas in between at my house!!  I went back to the HR monitor today and was pretty shocked how often I must have been working anaerobically...thought since breathing was pretty good I must be in a decent range...apparently not. 

...you should be a machine now with all of that fancy attire 

2008-03-26 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Hi everyone,

We girls are still looking for any info on quick drying large cup (use your imagination, boys) sports bras. Anyone have any suggestions or luck finding anything?

Robyn, what area of Michigan are you in? I am in southeast Michigan.

2008-03-26 5:23 PM
in reply to: #1295925

User image

Master
Vista, CA
jogo - 2008-03-26 2:56 PM

Hi everyone,

We girls are still looking for any info on quick drying large cup (use your imagination, boys) sports bras. Anyone have any suggestions or luck finding anything?

Here's the link to the bra I recently got and like a lot: http://www.womens-sports.com/MovingComfortFionaBra.htm
Haven't worn it to swim in or under a wetsuit, but it seems to wick away sweat pretty well and is supportive. I love the velcro straps. FWIW -
2008-03-26 5:28 PM
in reply to: #1295994

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT

On behalf of all men who saw that post, we thank you.  The visual alone was worth the read!!

Now, watch as my male-hood plummets...  I actually mentioned your original question to a female friend (I swear) as I tried explaining this forum thing here (hard to do).  Anyways, she happened to mention that a website called Title Nine has "excellent" things in that department.  I'm not sure what that means exactly, but google it and see if it helps.  I now must go spit, drink a beer, and pee in my front yard to regain my manliness....

Jay

2008-03-26 5:32 PM
in reply to: #1296007

User image

Veteran

Jay...Jay...Jay...don't tell me you are going to start participating in this bra-athon discussion!!!  Your studliness as just dropped substantially!!!

2008-03-26 5:35 PM

User image

Veteran

I really hate to take the focus away from the anatomical region that has been the highlight lately ... BUT ...  can someone tell me if they actually go without socks in their cycling shoes during a tri???  I see many of the better running shoes are designed for that, but can you do that to save time in T1...just put on the bike shoes with no socks???  Seems there would be some blisters or something but maybe in a rigid shoe like that there isn't enough movement inside to create the friction to cause problems. 

2008-03-26 5:50 PM
in reply to: #1296007

User image

Master
Vista, CA
stayfocused - 2008-03-26 3:28 PM

On behalf of all men who saw that post, we thank you. The visual alone was worth the read!!

Now, watch as my male-hood plummets... I actually mentioned your original question to a female friend (I swear) as I tried explaining this forum thing here (hard to do). Anyways, she happened to mention that a website called Title Nine has "excellent" things in that department. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but google it and see if it helps. I now must go spit, drink a beer, and pee in my front yard to regain my manliness....

Jay

Okay, I'm blushing now
2008-03-26 6:08 PM
in reply to: #1296045

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

1. i dont have to imagine....my wife is a perfect DDD cupLaughing. ( No surgeries either )

2. Yes wear a your tri shorts / shirt, tri suit, shorts and favorite sports bra tank-kinny , or what ever for your triathalon. You would not wanna get DQ'ed in T-1

3. Dammit Man!!! I hate to hear about the continuous snow. Unfortunetly we dont have basements in the south.

4. Thereare shoes 9TRI BIKE) shooz made to be worn without sox. If you do not own a pair with a sock liner I would not go sockless on the bike. JMHO.

5. Your man card is safe.

6. I am to the pont of clinical depression because of not training due to injury. The PT peeps have me doing old lady exercises in the pool. I want to go drink...alot.

That is all.

2008-03-26 6:13 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
It takes a lot more than this to make ME blush.

As far as socks are concerned. I have tri bike shoes that have vents in the bottoms so that your feet stay dry and cool. They do rub a little and I am not convinced that I wouldn't throw some socks on because I don't like to run without socks so either way I have to take the 10 second hit in transition to put on socks. No blisters are worth the time. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the title nine site but I am looking for any experience with bras not just the websites that can say anything to sell things. No experience with wearing them, so I formally reinstate your man card!
2008-03-26 7:07 PM
in reply to: #1295494

User image

lkagop - 2008-03-26 2:19 PM
ditchdoc - 2008-03-26 2:23 PM

Very interesting.  I'm so glad you told me that.  I'm pretty clueless.

So, does one wear anything underneath that thing?  I am way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy modest and now I'm getting nervous.  I'm sure I'll figure something out (like sacrificing my time and purposely being the last one out of T1), but I just gotta know.

Many thanks, Lora

Yes!  You can wear a tri suit or a swim suit... you're choice really.  But you do need to wear something underneath.  I highly recommend a trisuit but I have raced in a swim suit before.  For a sprint you don't really need to worry about the quick dry stuff... you won't be out there long enough for it to matter too much.

Socks... I wear them but many people don't.  This is purely preference.  One thing I do recommend is toweling your feet off before you put your socks/shoes on.  That will cause chaffing if you aren't careful.

Another thing everyone needs before their first race is a race belt.  You will get a paper number that you must wear for the bike and run portion of the race.  You will need to clip your number to your race belt.  Trust me on this one.  A lot of people pin it to a shirt and then try to put their shirt on in T1.  This doesn't work.  Trying to put on a dry shirt while your soaking wet and in a hurry is not fun.  Funny to watch, but something you will learn the hard way if you are not told in advance.

2008-03-26 7:14 PM
in reply to: #1295925

User image

jogo - 2008-03-26 4:56 PM Hi everyone, We girls are still looking for any info on quick drying large cup (use your imagination, boys) sports bras. Anyone have any suggestions or luck finding anything? Robyn, what area of Michigan are you in? I am in southeast Michigan.

I am about 5 minutes north of Ann Arbor.  I don't know where that is, really, since I have only lived here for about 3 months.  But I think you are pretty close to here.

2008-03-26 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Robyn, we are pretty close. I am about 45 minutes from Ann Arbor. My tri group trains at Island lake which I think is near Brighton. The training doesn't start until April 10, so I'm not sure where that is yet. I figure it'll take me an hour in rush hour to get out there coming from Royal Oak, where I work.

Welcome again to Michigan. It will get better, although we usually skip Spring and go straight from winter to summer. Next week it could be 80 degrees in Michigan. I've seen it happen, snow one weekend and sunscreen the next.
2008-03-27 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1296516

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
I am about 14.5 hours south of Ann arbor. FWIWLaughing
2008-03-27 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1297681

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT

I'm about 20 hours East!!! I say we all hook up for a group workout this weekend, what say you?? 

Before I forget, props to those who reinstated my man-card, many thanks! 

Jay

2008-03-27 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1297694

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
stayfocused - 2008-03-27 12:50 PM

I'm about 20 hours East!!! I say we all hook up for a group workout this weekend, what say you?? 

Before I forget, props to those who reinstated my man-card, many thanks! 

Jay

Talk of boobs and bras is no reason to loose man card points..ever

e

v

e

r

!

2008-03-28 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran

So we must be getting pretty close to someone racing...who's up next ???  My first is in 3 weeks but there must be a few before that.   

2008-03-28 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran

David, (or anyone else that times there swims fairly accurately) what do you use to keep track of your swim times so accurately ... are you using one of those timers that goes on the end of the lane, a watch, or what? 

2008-03-28 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Still snowy here in Michigan, frozen water is hard to swim in but I am doing an indoor tri on Sunday. It is scored by distance accomplished so we won't know results for a few days. Swim(in lap pool)-10minutes, Bike (on spinning bikes at set resistance)-30min, Run(on treadmill, set incline)-20 minutes. T1 will be 10minutes and T2 is 5minutes. Hopefully I don't drown and I survive. If nothing else, it will add up to a heck of a workout for an hour.
2008-03-28 8:01 PM
in reply to: #1300724

User image

Master
Vista, CA
jogo - 2008-03-28 3:09 PM

Still snowy here in Michigan, frozen water is hard to swim in but I am doing an indoor tri on Sunday. It is scored by distance accomplished so we won't know results for a few days. Swim(in lap pool)-10minutes, Bike (on spinning bikes at set resistance)-30min, Run(on treadmill, set incline)-20 minutes. T1 will be 10minutes and T2 is 5minutes. Hopefully I don't drown and I survive. If nothing else, it will add up to a heck of a workout for an hour.

Good luck. That sounds like a lot of fun. Let us know how it goes! :-)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52