Subject: RE: Sesh's Group - FULL!

2009-06-10 7:07 PM
in reply to: #2208599

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
sesh - 2009-06-10 2:42 PM

And I thought I needed to look for gators in the water...

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090610/NEWS/90610015&s=a&page=2#pluckcomments

nice
2009-06-10 11:58 PM
in reply to: #2204264

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Congrats, can't wait to read your report!

and

Woah, gators!

sdalessio - 2009-06-09 4:46 AM Hi group - I survived.  I was about 20-30 min. slower than I wanted.  My time goal was 6:40 and I cam in at 7:01.  It was a super tough bike and run course but a great event.  The whole family had fun.  My hubby had a good race the day before at the International distance.  I should have the race report up int he next day or so.  :-)
2009-06-11 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1856289

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Good morning group - I am almost done w/ my race report.  I know it's been a slow process.  I've actually had work to do at work.  Grrr!  I come back to office w/ many hours of meetings.  I HATE meetings.

Anyway a co-worker sent me this and I thought it was pretty funny.

Gotta love this doctor’s advice.  I especially like his conclusion at the end.

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!! ..... Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy? HELLO Cocoa beans ! Another vegetable!!! It's the best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

And remember:
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

AND.....

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat
and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine

5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION

Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

Edited by sdalessio 2009-06-11 8:03 AM
2009-06-11 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
2009-06-11 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2208599

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
sesh - 2009-06-10 5:42 PM

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090610/NEWS/90610015&s=a&page=2#pluckcomments

Better watch out next time you are riding the trainer in the garage!

I do have a couple of questions.  Like, who takes their garbage out at 2:30 am?  And how bad of an idea is it to poke a gator with a broom?

This is why I live up north.

2009-06-13 1:30 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
2nd sprint tomorrow. I'm excited. Went out to the lake thursday for a quick swim in the suit - everything worked fine. Am familiar with the bike route pretty thoroughly - nice, flat, fast, and no head/tail wind forecast for the morning so... Shootin for a 1:30-1:35. Hopefully can get a good position on the swim and just go all out on that and the bike and hope for the best in the run - running has not improved much at all... Thinking I may have to find someone to look at my form or get some coaching in this area.

Hope y'all are having fun out there!

k
2009-06-13 6:39 PM
in reply to: #2214989

User image

Expert
kirih - 2009-06-13 1:30 AM 2nd sprint tomorrow. I'm excited. Went out to the lake thursday for a quick swim in the suit - everything worked fine. Am familiar with the bike route pretty thoroughly - nice, flat, fast, and no head/tail wind forecast for the morning so... Shootin for a 1:30-1:35. Hopefully can get a good position on the swim and just go all out on that and the bike and hope for the best in the run - running has not improved much at all... Thinking I may have to find someone to look at my form or get some coaching in this area.

Hope y'all are having fun out there!

k

Go kick some butt!  Have fun - I can't wait to hear about it.  :-)
2009-06-15 8:19 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Great race Kirih!  Nice Swim

2009-06-15 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2211470

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

serendipity - 2009-06-11 3:26 PM
sesh - 2009-06-10 5:42 PM

Better watch out next time you are riding the trainer in the garage!

I do have a couple of questions.  Like, who takes their garbage out at 2:30 am?  And how bad of an idea is it to poke a gator with a broom?

This is why I live up north.

I think the answer to your questions involves marajuana.

2009-06-15 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Race report is here:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=163942

Fun race... Had an excellent swim/bike. Run = pbbt. My quads and hamstrings were so sore (despite stretching) yesterday that I was walking around like a cowgal grandma after being in the saddle for three weeks straight. It was pretty pathetic. Feeling less but still sore today. Looks like more running lies in my immediate future... Next sprint is at beginning of August (unless I decide to throw one in mid-july) on same course - so i'll be looking at hitting that 1:30-1:35 goal that time!

Have fun out there!

kiri

2009-06-15 2:01 PM

User image

Master

I'm really not happy with this whole tapering thing.  I'm having a really hard time sleeping.  My son was sick and I had to miss a couple of workouts, and I felt like I was going to bounce off the walls.  Sunday morning I was up before 4 am, just buzzing with energy.  Luckily I was able to get out and run.  4 miles later I felt normal.  Well, normal for me, anyhow.  Tongue out

This morning I did my first brick - swim to bike.  (There was a 10 minute transition while I drove home from the pool.  I had to be on the trainer because my daughter was leaving for school before I was done and I couldn't leave my little one alone in the house.)  I felt good after the swim, but my legs were a bit wobbly getting off the bike.  I have a bike to run brick at the end of the week, so I guess I'll see how it is to run on wobbly legs!

I'm still not quite back to 100% after being sick a couple weeks ago.  The added stress of trying to sell the house and my husband already being at the new place is messing with me, too.  How sad is it that I look forward to being in the pool at 6 am because that's when I get a break from the other stuff?

2009-06-15 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2218868

User image

Master
kirih - 2009-06-15 2:19 PM Race report is here:

Fun race... Had an excellent swim/bike. Run = pbbt. My quads and hamstrings were so sore (despite stretching) yesterday that I was walking around like a cowgal grandma after being in the saddle for three weeks straight. It was pretty pathetic. Feeling less but still sore today. Looks like more running lies in my immediate future... Next sprint is at beginning of August (unless I decide to throw one in mid-july) on same course - so i'll be looking at hitting that 1:30-1:35 goal that time!

Have fun out there!

kiri

You did great, and I love how you are already thinking about the next one!
2009-06-15 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2218992

User image

Expert
serendipity - 2009-06-15 2:01 PM

I'm really not happy with this whole tapering thing.  I'm having a really hard time sleeping.  My son was sick and I had to miss a couple of workouts, and I felt like I was going to bounce off the walls.  Sunday morning I was up before 4 am, just buzzing with energy.  Luckily I was able to get out and run.  4 miles later I felt normal.  Well, normal for me, anyhow.  Tongue out

This morning I did my first brick - swim to bike.  (There was a 10 minute transition while I drove home from the pool.  I had to be on the trainer because my daughter was leaving for school before I was done and I couldn't leave my little one alone in the house.)  I felt good after the swim, but my legs were a bit wobbly getting off the bike.  I have a bike to run brick at the end of the week, so I guess I'll see how it is to run on wobbly legs!

I'm still not quite back to 100% after being sick a couple weeks ago.  The added stress of trying to sell the house and my husband already being at the new place is messing with me, too.  How sad is it that I look forward to being in the pool at 6 am because that's when I get a break from the other stuff?

It sounds like you are ready to race!
2009-06-16 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2219939

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

sdalessio - 2009-06-15 8:46 PM
serendipity - 2009-06-15 2:01 PM

Hah!  No kidding.  You need a race and you need it now!

You've put in a lot of good time before the illness, and that's not going to leave you that quick.  You are ready to go!

2009-06-16 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2218868

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

kirih - 2009-06-15 1:19 PM Race report is here:

Have fun out there!

kiri

Yay!  Another member of the run = pbbt club.  I've got a lifetime membership

Good to see you want to work on the run.  A lot of people just get discouraged by it, but I like your attitude.  It's an oppurtunity and area for improvement, not a hindrance.  Keep it up!

2009-06-16 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
LOL - I am a member of the swim = pbbt club.  Although Mooseman was my best swim ever so maybe there is hope.  Guess I just needed that longer distance.  HA HA

I started my short 6 week homemade tri plan on Monday to get ready for what may be my last 2 tris this year.  I may sneak a sprint tri late fall for fun but after my July 27 tri it's all about the OBX marathon.  I want to see how fast I can get.  My goal is a BQ time but I doubt it will happen on a first attempt.  However, I hope to see how close I can get and see how far I have to go.

Happy Training everyone.

PS - The kids are w/ nana and grandpa until Thurs.  Woo Hoo.  The hubby and I can live it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2009-06-16 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2220579

User image

Master
sesh - 2009-06-16 9:12 AM

You've put in a lot of good time before the illness, and that's not going to leave you that quick.  You are ready to go!

I do need a race!  My brain is already there.  I can't get it through my head that there is another weekend before the race.  I keep confusing the dates.  I even told my Sunday morning yoga students that there would be a sub next week, when really it won't be until the following Sunday.  Oh well, they will get a nice suprise on Sunday when I am there.

I snuck in an extra short run this morning because it was bothering me that I missed so many workouts last week.  (And because I'm in the run challenge and refuse to be the reason we lose!)  I was on the way back towards home, feeling good, thinking about racing, and it suddenly occurred to me that I was enjoying running.  But that's not possible, because I hate running....  Undecided
2009-06-16 8:57 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

And it begins...

WEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAY

SunnyHigh 98F Low 72F

SunnyHigh 96F Low 72F

SunnyHigh 96F Low 73F
2009-06-16 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2220612

User image

Master
sdalessio - 2009-06-16 9:22 AM LOL - I am a member of the swim = pbbt club.  Although Mooseman was my best swim ever so maybe there is hope.  Guess I just needed that longer distance.  HA HA

I started my short 6 week homemade tri plan on Monday to get ready for what may be my last 2 tris this year.  I may sneak a sprint tri late fall for fun but after my July 27 tri it's all about the OBX marathon.  I want to see how fast I can get.  My goal is a BQ time but I doubt it will happen on a first attempt.  However, I hope to see how close I can get and see how far I have to go.

Happy Training everyone.

PS - The kids are w/ nana and grandpa until Thurs.  Woo Hoo.  The hubby and I can live it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those OWS lessons definitely paid off for you.  How long until you sign up for an ironman?

The kids are away???  Party at Samantha's house!!!!  Who's bringing the beer?
2009-06-16 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2220734

User image

Master
sesh - 2009-06-16 9:57 AM

And it begins...

WEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAY

SunnyHigh 98F Low 72F

SunnyHigh 96F Low 72F

SunnyHigh 96F Low 73F

Very different here.....
http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/washington.township.hail.2.1045714.html

2009-06-16 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2220720

User image

Expert
serendipity - 2009-06-16 8:54 AM
sesh - 2009-06-16 9:12 AM

I do need a race!  My brain is already there.  I can't get it through my head that there is another weekend before the race.  I keep confusing the dates.  I even told my Sunday morning yoga students that there would be a sub next week, when really it won't be until the following Sunday.  Oh well, they will get a nice suprise on Sunday when I am there.

I snuck in an extra short run this morning because it was bothering me that I missed so many workouts last week.  (And because I'm in the run challenge and refuse to be the reason we lose!)  I was on the way back towards home, feeling good, thinking about racing, and it suddenly occurred to me that I was enjoying running.  But that's not possible, because I hate running....  Undecided

HA HA - I'm doing that run challenge as well.  I'm glad your team got a late start so at least we won't lose the post count sidebar. 

I'm not surprised you are enjoying the running - I think it hits you one day and you think "hey, this isn't so bad."  :-)  Keep up the good work!  Are you racing the 28th?
2009-06-16 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2220786

User image

Expert
serendipity - 2009-06-16 9:08 AM
sesh - 2009-06-16 9:57 AM

And it begins...

WEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAY

SunnyHigh 98F Low 72F

SunnyHigh 96F Low 72F

SunnyHigh 96F Low 73F

Very different here.....
http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/washington.township.hail.2.1045714.html

That is crazy weather all over.  It has been very wet here but the weekends have been decent.  It is actually getting to the high 60s/low 70s for the next few days.  I'm sure the 90s are on their way.  August around here is usually pretty brutal.
2009-06-16 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2220772

User image

Expert
serendipity - 2009-06-16 9:05 AM

Those OWS lessons definitely paid off for you.  How long until you sign up for an ironman?

The kids are away???  Party at Samantha's house!!!!  Who's bringing the beer?

We'll see about an Ironman.  I did think to myself at Mooseman from the bike to run - there is no way I could run a marathon right now. 

And alas last week was party week - beer, wine, bad but yummy food.  This week its back to training which means only alcohol as needed.  Like when the kids are pushing us over the edge.  Yell
2009-06-16 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2220923

User image

Master
sdalessio - 2009-06-16 10:48 AM
HA HA - I'm doing that run challenge as well.  I'm glad your team got a late start so at least we won't lose the post count sidebar. 

I'm not surprised you are enjoying the running - I think it hits you one day and you think "hey, this isn't so bad."  :-)  Keep up the good work!  Are you racing the 28th?

Sorry, but we're on the second thread already.  We have some serious chatterboxes on our team.

I'm racing Saturday the 27th.  (But will be away for the whole weekend, thus no Sunday morning yoga.)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sesh's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47