BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-05-14 4:37 AM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Expert
Canada
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
QOTD:

Everyone seems to be getting quality workouts in.   Many Tri training programs, have you swim 3 or more X per week & either bike or run alternating days.  Most have other commitments with family, kids, work, etc.

SO how do YOU find the time.  How do you plan your day.  Before work?  Lunchtime? After work?  Evening?  Shift work?  etc.

How do you time manage your workouts?

2010-05-14 4:43 AM
in reply to: #2858144

User image

Expert
Canada
GoGoGo - 2010-05-14 6:37 AM QOTD:

Everyone seems to be getting quality workouts in.   Many Tri training programs, have you swim 3 or more X per week & either bike or run alternating days.  Most have other commitments with family, kids, work, etc.

SO how do YOU find the time.  How do you plan your day.  Before work?  Lunchtime? After work?  Evening?  Shift work?  etc.

Swim (thrash about in the water), in early morning, prior to work.

For run or bike, I do alternate if I can, but weather is a big player in what I do & I often juggle it.  Don't like to cycle in rain.  If I get caught, fine, but hard to head out in it.  Run, it doesn't bother me.  For week days, I almost always run/cycle, after work, on way home, prior to dinner.  Find it difficult to do after dinner.  Only time I go after dinner is for group activity, such as group bike ride Monday nights.  On Sat/Sun, like to get up early morning, usually for long run &/or cycle.  Done by noon & spend day with family, errands etc.

Well, there it is...

Interested in how you work it in to your lives...

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-05-14 4:43 AM
2010-05-14 5:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
GoGoGo - 2010-05-14 4:37 AM QOTD:

Right now it's "easy" to find the time as I'm working on the road M-F so I've got each evening free.  On the weekends, I do a run on Saturday and a bike on Sunday in the AM.  For both, my son joins me so it's family time as well.  Going forward, I'll likely have to mix in an AM swim with a PM workout.  This should be made easier by joining the Xsport chain here in Chicago which has one facility 1/4 mile from my office and a second just a few miles from the house.  By putting the workouts at each end of the workday, I'll be able to dodge traffic a bit and use some of what would be sit in traffic time as workout time.
2010-05-14 8:09 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
GoGoGo - 2010-05-14 4:37 AM

QOTD:

This is hard for me but I somehow find a way to get it done. My job is literally almost 24/6 Sunday to Friday. I commute 3 hours a day 5 days a week, and work at home nights and Sundays. The only time I'm technically not working is between 3pm and 6pm (when I'm on the train ride home) and Friday at 3pm till 6pm on Sunday. I usually try to set things up so I can step away for a time and get a workout in. I'm lucky that I have a gym in the building of my office so I get weights and treadmill runs in while I'm waiting for a train to go home, but even then I got a phone in my ear. When I get home I like to set things up so I can leave my home office for a bit and get in a run/bike/or swim. I don't have much time at night so that's when I try to do my short runs/bikes and my swims. I save the long bike's and run's for the weekends if I'm not racing. I get up at 4am every day. Some days I do core work in the mornings, but for the most part I don't want to get up earlier than that to get in an am workout. So most of my workouts are in the evenings. Yes, I'm the dork with the lights on his bike riding in the dark. LOL

For this reason I've been doing my own program as opposed to one of the site programs or another. I can't committ to doing certain things on certain days. I just try to get a swim bike and run in 2-3 times a week each as I can depending on schedule and weather.

Edited by Meulen 2010-05-14 8:12 AM
2010-05-14 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2857896

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-05-13 8:33 PM

Yep. MIA today. I thought I would have Richard tow the line for a while! Haha!

No actually, I went on a long ride today. Seven hours in the saddle left me a little beat. Then off to Costco with the family to stock up the pantry. Finally, I'm sitting at my oldest son's baseball practice right now.

sheeesh!!! 7 hours!! wow. On the MTB or the road bike?

what's the longest you've ever riden and what discipline, road/mtb?

mines 5 hours- ouch my bum!!! lol
2010-05-14 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2858382

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-05-14 6:16 AM

brick94513 - 2010-05-13 8:33 PM

Yep. MIA today. I thought I would have Richard tow the line for a while! Haha!

No actually, I went on a long ride today. Seven hours in the saddle left me a little beat. Then off to Costco with the family to stock up the pantry. Finally, I'm sitting at my oldest son's baseball practice right now.

sheeesh!!! 7 hours!! wow. On the MTB or the road bike?

what's the longest you've ever riden and what discipline, road/mtb?

mines 5 hours- ouch my bum!!! lol

That was a mtb ride. I'm trying to build for my 100 mile mtb race in September, which I'm shooting for 10 hours.

24 hr race was the longest, but I had intermittent breaks out of the saddle on that one.

2010-05-14 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
GoGoGo - 2010-05-14 2:37 AM QOTD:

right now it's easy, as I'm a stay at home dad of two kids in school.  Most all of my workouts are during the day.  If something comes up and I can't do it during the day, I also have a treadmill and bike rollers in the garage I can use after the kids are in bed.  I plan Saturday as my off day, and slip out for a long run on Sunday whenever it fits in during the day.  It gets a lot more complicated in a month when the kids get out for summer.  This will be my first summer Tri-training, so I have no idea how I'll do it.  For me, it's 2 swims/week, 4 runs/week, and any biking I can get in, with Friday being the long bike day.

As I also mentioned a while ago, after 8 years at home and out of the workforce, I'm also job hunting right now (have an informal lunchtime 'interview' today in fact!) so when that finally happens it will all be different.  Can't worry about that till I get there though...
2010-05-14 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
GoGoGo - 2010-05-14 2:37 AM

QOTD:

The key is to have more days off than you work. Then, being able to workout on duty helps with the training!

I try to squeeze my workouts in while my kids are in school and the wife is sleeping. For pool swimming, our gym membership includes childcare. So, for a normal day, i'll pick the boys up from school and hit the pool. Bike trainer is a tool for when things get really hectic.

Being flexible is the key, I'm my opinion. To get workouts in sometimes, I've ridden to my son's games or taken the running shoes with me for the pregame.
2010-05-14 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
0.25 mile ocean swim in this morning before work. Two quick on-and-outs from the shore to a bouy.
2010-05-14 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2858364

User image

Expert
Canada
Meulen - 2010-05-14 10:09 AM
GoGoGo - 2010-05-14 4:37 AM QOTD:

This is hard for me but I somehow find a way to get it done. My job is literally almost 24/6 Sunday to Friday. I commute 3 hours a day 5 days a week, and work at home nights and Sundays. The only time I'm technically not working is between 3pm and 6pm (when I'm on the train ride home) and Friday at 3pm till 6pm on Sunday. I usually try to set things up so I can step away for a time and get a workout in. I'm lucky that I have a gym in the building of my office so I get weights and treadmill runs in while I'm waiting for a train to go home, but even then I got a phone in my ear. When I get home I like to set things up so I can leave my home office for a bit and get in a run/bike/or swim. I don't have much time at night so that's when I try to do my short runs/bikes and my swims. I save the long bike's and run's for the weekends if I'm not racing. I get up at 4am every day. Some days I do core work in the mornings, but for the most part I don't want to get up earlier than that to get in an am workout. So most of my workouts are in the evenings. Yes, I'm the dork with the lights on his bike riding in the dark. LOL For this reason I've been doing my own program as opposed to one of the site programs or another. I can't committ to doing certain things on certain days. I just try to get a swim bike and run in 2-3 times a week each as I can depending on schedule and weather.

That is definitely a busy schedule!!! Sounds like you manage time very well though!! 
2010-05-14 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
AOTD: Almost all of my weekday workouts are after work, before dinner. I'm lucky - my gf is the cook in my house, I do dishes. I haven't been able to do any AM workouts but I know if I could get my groggy a$$ out of bed it would help my schedule out. Every once in a while I'll swim right before lunch if work isn't too hectic that day. I get every other Friday off so sometimes I'll do morning workouts then.

Weekends are usually morning workouts, especially if I'm biking. Running can be whenever most of the time.

I try to get two workouts in per week for each sport. Running is easiest - sometimes it'll be 3x. Biking during the week is hard unless I spin on my trainer.

2010-05-14 11:10 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I'm thinking about calling up a local dive quarry and asking if I can swim over there. Is 51 degree water temp too cold?
2010-05-14 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

AOTD: Like Tim said, being flexible seems to be the best strategy I have found.  That and not stressing over a missed w/o here and there and taking a rest day when I feel like I need one, not when my schedule says to/not to.  I swim 3-4x, bike 2x and run 2-3x so I always train < 10 hrs a week so that's not much to try and squeeze in.  I usually swim/run the same day and am swimming longer now so I will move my swim to the mornings before work and run at lunch.  We get a 2 hr lunch so I do most of my workouts midday now.  Makes for a nice break in the workday .  I find that I don't have much motivation to train in the evenings after work so I try to avoid anything at that time unless it's just liftin weights in the home gym.

2010-05-14 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2858986

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Meulen - 2010-05-14 9:10 AM I'm thinking about calling up a local dive quarry and asking if I can swim over there. Is 51 degree water temp too cold?

better pack your mittens Surprised
2010-05-14 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2858689

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
brick94513 - 2010-05-14 7:44 AM

0.25 mile ocean swim in this morning before work. Two quick on-and-outs from the shore to a bouy.

dude that is the way to start a day.where did you swim at-santa monica? for me a good bike ride this morning.
2010-05-14 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2859004

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-05-14 11:15 AM

Meulen - 2010-05-14 9:10 AM I'm thinking about calling up a local dive quarry and asking if I can swim over there. Is 51 degree water temp too cold?

better pack your mittens Surprised

I called the quarry and they won't let me swim there anyway.

I'm trying to get someone to go out to the actually course to preview the MTB trails and swim in the actual lake too. Both peeps I had going backed out on me. I really don't feel comfortable going out there swimming on my own when I've never done it before.

I'm REALLY trying to get an OWS in before next weekend!! Not working!!! Maybe I should just get on a plane and fly out by one of you guys.

2010-05-14 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2859089

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
wplummer - 2010-05-14 9:41 AM

brick94513 - 2010-05-14 7:44 AM

dude that is the way to start a day.where did you swim at-santa monica? for me a good bike ride this morning.

Capitola. My firehouse is situated right in the village. So, just parked my car at the station, walked over to the beach, and did a couple drills in the water with another firefighter.
2010-05-14 7:28 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Interesting.... Never really thought about this:

STRIDE DRILLS CAN HELP
Most world-class runners do some sort of stride drills after their daily workouts.
By Martin Dugard

PUBLISHED 08/29/2001
Over years of running, inefficiencies can creep into your stride. Often, an injury changes the way you run. Or maybe one leg has become stronger than the other for some reason, or you've started swinging your arms across your chest too much.

Stride drills can help. Most world-class runners do some sort of stride drills after their daily workouts. They know these simple exercises optimize their stride by searing proper mechanics into muscle memory. Niggling flaws work themselves out, posture improves, forward movement is accentuated. Following are four excellent stride drills to incorporate into your running program (a level grass field is the best place for them). Aim for two to four of each drill per session and cover at least 50 meters when you do each one.

High knees

Just like it sounds. Drive your knees skyward with each stride, like a drill major in a marching band. Don't worry about forward speed. Simply lift those knees high. This drill strengthens your hip flexor muscles and improves your push-off power.

Butt kicks

Almost the opposite of high knees in that you're doing an exaggerated back kick. Literally, you should be "kicking your butt" with the heel with each stride. This drill stretches and strengthens your quadriceps muscles.

Skipping

Yep, just like you used to do in grade school. Use a slightly exaggerated arm motion to propel yourself upward and forward. Skipping improves your coordination and push-off power.

Bounding

As if you were jumping from one rock to another, exaggerate your normal running stride's height and length. Run in slow motion, alternately letting each foot do all the work of absorbing impact, then pushing off. This drill improves coordination and strengthens glutes and calves.
2010-05-14 7:43 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Jay and Mark... Good luck tomorrow! Kick some butt and have a post race beer for me. I'll be expecting an update!
2010-05-14 9:42 PM

User image

Regular
Sun Diego

Encinitas sports Expo weekend is here.  Loooooong day for me today and I am mentally and physically beat down.  I am gonna have to get creative to get out of this funk before Sunday (?).

No swim this morning as I had a critical issue with a client back in DC which lasted late into the afternoon.  I can’t complain though because I've had lots of downtime recently to train.  Contrary to my plan today (Rest Day) I went out to the lake and took a little run/walk to clear the head.  It was very peaceful.  I won’t be telling my Team Coach that though Wink

AOTD:  I feel kind of bad about this as most of you have to work pretty hard at family, work and personal time challenges.  I am fortunate that I work as an independent consultant, and as a deployable asset for my client (US Govt) I actually get paid two hours a day to train.  On top of my paid time I also add in about an hour of "me" time everyday to training... so in essence I can average 15 hours a week without impacting “family time”.  I try to swim 4X a week (with at least 1 session being OWS), run 4X a week; bike 3X a week, and practice Transitions 3X a week.  That’s the plan I strive for… but it does not always work out that way and I don’t get upset if it’s not perfect.  As long as I can say at the end of the day that I gave a 100% effort and pushed myself to get better then I am satisfied.  After all, this isn’t paying my mortgage or putting my kids through College.  Wow… Just imagine if I was a healthy young kid with that kind of opportunity… instead of a middle aged broken down cantankerous old grouchy bastard Cool

After I settle in and get situated for the night I'll be giving Jay a call so we can set the plan for pre-race check-in tomorrow. 

Thanks for the support Tim!

2010-05-14 10:44 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Tim, thanks, I am stoked for this weekend!  Just talked to Mark and it looks like we are both doing the super sprint after all, so it will be pretty dope to toe the line together if they launch both our AGs in the same wave.  We will definitely have to grab a post race beverage and snap some pics for BT Laughing!

Mark, dunno if you'll read this before tomorrow morning, but I was looking at the aerial view pics for parking after we got off the phone.  Coaster lot looks like our best bet probably.  It's only about 3 blocks from the TA so we can walk the bikes in and it's not so far away after the race that we dread leaving either.  I will try to park there for the expo to get an idea of the distance.  We can scope it out more tomorrow. 

2010-05-14 11:17 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Friday night, some people drink it up I bricked it up. Second brick of the week. This one felt much better. The knees held up fine. After 32 miles of hill drills on the bike I still managed to clock 4 miles in 33 minutes at a medium pace.

Now it's off to bed. I gotta get up with the wife tomorrow and support her in the Brookfield Zoo 5k.
2010-05-14 11:27 PM
in reply to: #2860324

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Nice workout!  Have fun tomorrow w/ the wife's race!
2010-05-14 11:33 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Anybody ride on Neuvation wheels and have some feedback?  I know I asked about wheels before, and I know there's no NEED to get some, but I really WANT some.  Our team captain rides on C50s all the time.  They look pretty slick and seem to be quite the quality wheel for the price.  The R28X's are just a touch lighter (~200g), and a bit stronger than the Mavic's I have now, and I wipe my butt w/ 300 bucks so I figure why not :D.
2010-05-15 4:47 AM
in reply to: #2860088

User image

Expert
Canada
brick94513 - 2010-05-14 9:43 PM Jay and Mark... Good luck tomorrow! Kick some butt and have a post race beer for me. I'll be expecting an update!

X2 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108