User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed

SSMinnow - 2011-01-07 2:44 PM
tri-chic - 2011-01-07 10:00 AM

Terps421 - 2011-01-07 9:45 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-01-07 7:54 AM
fowlmood - 2011-01-06 10:04 PM So far most of the questions I have read have been about workouts
miles/time on running and cycling, yards/meters swimming.

So what about mental  toughness what preparations does everyone make for training and races how do you coupe with different types of physical and mental stress.

I've gotten a lot better at digging deep for races (and training) than I used to be.  For me, I set a very specific goal (e.g. for IM I told myself I would walk only 10 steps through water stations to drink and then I would get huffing) and stick with it.  As the pain increases, I have that goal in my head and I know if I veer from it, I will totally disappoint myself post race.  In order to succeed, I have to believe I can achieve the goal with hard effort and have to really want it.

Believe in yourself and the sky really is the limit.  I'm sort of living proof of that.....not a ton of talent, but a ton of will.  Sometimes that's enough

PS. There are several worthy books out there....my favorite is Training and Talent are Underrated, but Running Within is also a good place to start.

So not true, you got a load of talent Suzy!

AMEN!

Linda

I appreciate the comment, but it really is true.  In college, I was always the person who had to study 3x's longer to get an A, to do well in triathlon I am that same kid (albeit older) having to work a lot harder to get results.  I don't care because I love being able to see how hard I can push myself each and every day.

It's funny, in reading Kelly's post I found myself nodding ALOT and shaking my head occasionally.  I totally agree with the knowing the difference between pain and injury comment and so many more, but you all know I'm not a HTFU girl, I don't believe in telling everyone my goal because I'm internally motivated and I think that is a really important distinction for me, and I really don't have a Plan B or C.  I go in with my goal and fight for it until I cross the finish line.  If I don't, there is room to compromise along the way and when my head is talking to me while in pain it too often wins.  I've been disappointed so many times with the final outcome, but I need to know I gave it all I had.  I will say that I left myself down a couple of times in '10 and hope to be better in '11 given all that I learned in the journey.  Kelly is right, it really is a journey of self discovery which is why I like it so much.

Suzy brings up a great point.  At the end of the day we all need to know what works for us individually.  There's always more than one answer.

As for Planning A, B or C for me...it's more of an awareness of what could go wrong and thinking about it productively ahead of time and having an idea of what you would do if __________   happened.

2011-01-07 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Veteran
What I tell my self to keep myself going even on short workouts when I am just not feeling it is that "This isn't forever, there is an end" and that usually keeps me going. When I use to pace people that had problems with passing the Army APFT run portion on top of lying to them about there time Innocent I would let them know that the wont be running forever, there is an end and it worked for most
2011-01-07 6:27 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
awesome post kelly!!!!  
2011-01-07 6:28 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Yes, Andre, that works for me too...sometimes, I figure, I can do anything for 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc.  That's why I think occasionally racing is really great for our psyche...whether it's a 5k to a marathon, it reminds us we can do x effort for however long, so intervals of less should be easy peasy!

On an unrelated topic...just made reservations for Disneyland for 3 days for Valentines.  I hope this earns me some IM points...lord knows, I need more IM points...

2011-01-07 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3285490

User image

Champion
marietta
velcromom - 2011-01-07 5:47 PM
tahrens - 2011-01-06 11:51 AM I just went back and read all the bios of the new members and realized I never posted one of myself. How rude.

NAME: Tracy “Sugar”

FAMILY:  I have a very active family with 2 daughters (10 and 7) and a hubby that also races, so you can imagine balancing everyone’s training schedules is complicated.  

HISTORY: 
H.S. cheerleader, dancer, gymnast (and partier)
College:  cheerleader (still partying)
Post college:  college cheerleading coach – not so much partying
Post-post college – 2 thanksgiving turkey sized babies- bye-bye six pack abs Cry hello extra belly skin

I’ve been racing for 4 years and progressed from super sprints to my first Ironman this fall.  I will never describe myself as a runner. I am a functional runner and mainly run because it is the third leg of the sport I love. I am a cyclist.  If left to my own choices I spend my time chasing my all male riding group around, and occasionally passing a few of them.

WEIGHT: Other than reaching ideal race weight this is not a problem for me. I’m more concerned with maintaining the healthiest eating habits I can.  I have a very strong sweet tooth and will pass up sex for chocolate any day.  The long legs that were a liability in cheering are a pleasant asset in this sport.  Who knew?

2011 RACES:   All my races are in prep for IM Canada.  
March – half marathon
April – Olympic
May – Rev 3 HIM with the MG
June – Blood, Sweat and Gears century ride in the mountains
July – main IM build month
August – IM CANADA!!!!

GOOD ABOUT ME:  I make a great punch line for the boys in the group. They love finding embarrassing photos of me!  But on the serious side I hope I have made a contribution over the years.  This group is beyond supportive and has truly become synonymous with triathlons for me.  I find myself composing my race reports while racing b/c I can’t wait to share my thoughts and feeling with everyone here.  

CAUTION: I am a very bad speller. Be kind.

Okay, i've had no internet for 24 hours.....I log on and see this.  I patiently sift through all of the responses.  Nothing?  What's happening to this MG????

boobs
2011-01-07 6:31 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
i suspect we're gonna see a different nfc west  next year.  really pumped for the niner's.

2011-01-07 6:57 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
NINERS

Now Harbaugh just has to convince Luck to go pro, and somehow draft him.  Done.  I should be a consultant.  With an income.
2011-01-07 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3285694

User image

Elite
san francisco
velcromom - 2011-01-07 4:57 PM NINERS

Now Harbaugh just has to convince Luck to go pro, and somehow draft him.  Done.  I should be a consultant.  With an income.

2011-01-07 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3285697

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
kt65 - 2011-01-07 7:00 PM
velcromom - 2011-01-07 4:57 PM NINERS

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=kreidler/110107

Read that article.  It's really interesting.  I'm always for kids staying in school and finishing their educations, but that article puts a whole new spin on Luck.  And makes an EXCELLENT point about Luck's future being uncertain in either situation, so he might as well stick to the degree. 

Sorry, but Luck would never last long enough in the draft to go to the Niners!  Plenty of the six teams before them would pick him up.  That being said, I would mind the Bears picking him up!  But the Bears would NEVER draft a quarterback because that would just make sense!  Darn Jerry Angelo...

Anyway, I am surprised by Harbaugh's move.  Just a little, though.  I didn't suspect he would leave until he started dodging all the questions in the last couple weeks. 

Oh, and I LOVE NFL PLAYOFFS!  Best time of year!
2011-01-07 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3285784

User image

Champion
marietta
SoccerGK - 2011-01-07 9:01 PM I'm always for kids staying in school and finishing their educations, but....

your gonna make a good agent.  

war eagle.
2011-01-07 8:18 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
My vote would always be for an education.....but.  you never know what next year will bring - really - in the way of injuries, etc.  He could sign a whoppin' contract and play for 2 decades, and have a blast.  Or, sign a whoppin' contract, play for 5 months, have an injury...still make a fortune, and go back to school.  Win-win.

Our deal with our kids is that they get their college degree.....unless they get a signing bonus of $5 million or more, and promise to go back to school eventually.  So far, it's not been an issue.  Cool

2011-01-07 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3285813

User image

Elite
san francisco
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-07 6:11 PM
SoccerGK - 2011-01-07 9:01 PM I'm always for kids staying in school and finishing their educations, but....

war eagle.

Quack, Quack.
2011-01-07 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3284302

User image

Chatham Ontario
SoccerGK - 2011-01-07 9:30 AM You WILL enjoy the race!  Start telling yourself that now.  Mindset is everything!  I've actually started LOVING my runs just because I told myself I would. 

Do you have a training plan in place?  I'm excited to share the preparation for a first half marathon with another on the MG!

Hey YA it will be cool Mine is the exact same day. I am running it with a friend, but I understand she will be leaving me and finishing it probably 1h 40 mins. I hope to finish in 2hr 40 mins is sort of a number I just tossed out there. Right now it all says it will take me just a bit longer then that. So like anyone else I will have a public number, somewhat personal number I will share with close friends I am shooting for then my own private time... But reality is My only REAL goal is to just finish it. If I do that regardless of time I will be SILLY HAPPY.

I am sort of following a friends HIM training plan with very little cycling so I can fit my swims and running in. I will be racing a few sprints this year for the first time, I have a pretty good base on my bike. Nothing for me to ride 100km so 20km in a sprint should be easy enough. I want to keep my swimming up. And I can only run 3 days a week.

So I am going to run 5k then 6k then a longer run on weekends using the weekends to build up. My friends are doing a Half Mary Running program, but I can't commit 4 days a week to running. So I am going to adlib on their plan. My shorter runs will get longer as the plan goes on as well. So Sunday this week I will run 8-9km.

Eventually the weekly runs will grow to 6-7, but long run on weekends. IF I can keep up running in the cold and snow. if not I will have to hit my tread mill....

What type of a plan are you using?

I need to keep my swimming up.

I am gone from home for 11 hours a day for work at a min. So it is tough to squeeze in two work outs. I paid for my masters swim program so I commit to doing that twice a week.

2011-01-07 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
New York
wow, so much to catch up on.  Still on vacation and been far removed from the internet & TV lately.

Glen - great job on your PR.

Kelly - very nice post. thanks for sharing.

Still trying to catch with all these posts.. If Luck goes pro, the Panthers would pick him up for sure.

Check out what I picked up today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trek SC 
2011-01-07 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3285642

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kt65 - 2011-01-07 5:28 PM Yes, Andre, that works for me too...sometimes, I figure, I can do anything for 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc.  That's why I think occasionally racing is really great for our psyche...whether it's a 5k to a marathon, it reminds us we can do x effort for however long, so intervals of less should be easy peasy!

On an unrelated topic...just made reservations for Disneyland for 3 days for Valentines.  I hope this earns me some IM points...lord knows, I need more IM points...

Ah to bad. we're going on the 20th. Missed a hookup.
2011-01-07 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3284043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
tri-chic - 2011-01-07 7:03 AM

Training when you don't want to...Talking yourself out of quitting a long run when your not feeling it...getting up early when you want to sleep...having a miserable workout that you just suck at but survive.  This is your mental training!  These are the successes you think about in the middle of a race when the wheels are coming off.  You might walk for a minute or 20 and every step is agony and then you take a deep breath and try and pull it back together again and go again even it you have to do it 10 times during a race that is mental toughness.

It's an attitude...failure is not an option.  I didn't get up at 5am for the last 6 months to quit.  You didn't sacrifice all your social time to workout just to quit.  You haven't put up with all your spouses "moods" about your workouts to quit.  It's believing in yourself.  It's getting mad at yourself.  It's pushing yourself.  It's holding yourself accountable.

My IM swim sucked.  The water was 57 degrees and after 20 min the cold had jacked with my HR and I was getting testy with everyone around me and panicky and started having doubts 3/4 of the way through my first loop.  I started thinking that if I couldn't pull myself together I wasn't going to be able to finish.  You have to be able to shut your mind down when it starts talking crap and say "NO", I'm better than that. Or my actual conversation with myself was ", I'm not going back to work to tell everyone I quit".  Then I had to evaluate what was wrong and make a plan and adjust.

1.)  Stick to your workouts and finish them.  If you give yourself excuses in your workouts you will give yourself excuses while your racing.    My personal favorite when I'm having a bad swim or run is to promise myself I'll stop after 200 then just to be evil it's another 500 or whatever.  My brain hates my ego we talk to each other all through the workout. 

2.)  Find your happy/motivated place.  Know what will calm you down.  Is it a memory of a vacation, your kids, spouse, Happy and calm is different than Motivated and Fired up...a visual of the way you are or use to be or who you want to be?

3.)  Tell EVERYBODY you know what you are doing and post it on your office door.  I am not kidding here.  I can't tell you how many times I just wanted to change my goal and forget the IM but didn't because it was on my door and the GM would come by periodically and ask me about how things were going.  Pride is a great motivator.

4.)  Have a motto or two...pick a motto and know it by heart.  Use it in training and it will come to you in racing.  Tape it to your bike if you have to.

ie...Suck it up buttercup or HTFU..just don't tell Suzy. ,  Nothing to it but to do it!  Good, Better, Best, never rest until your good is better than the rest.  Not sure where I got this one from but it works when your running on each foot strike.

5.)  Evaluate and change plans on the fly. (SOOOOO, important)  You should always have a race plan A, B and C and even then you might have to be creative.  Very rarely will you ever have a race that goes exactly as planned.

6.)  Learn the difference between workout pain and injury pain.  There is no shame in pulling out of a race because you feel something that is just wrong.  I've been out for two years because of working through pain.  I am in the process of discovering how I need to prepare my body to race and what I need to do when things feel off but I won't ever hesitate to stop if I can't get things undercontrol because one race isn't worth two years.  We aren't talking blisters here.

7)  Know why you are doing this.  This isn't the simple answer, "because somebody asked me to do it."  There's a reason you decided to torture yourself.  You may not even know why right now but you will discover it in your training.  Race day is a catered training day.  It's just another day in the end.  Triathlon is a journey of self discovery.  The work, blood, sweat, tears and money come from a place within.  Know what your motivation is and use it when the going gets tough.

7)  Last but not least...be realistic with your goals and be prepared.

Sorry this got so long.  You hit a sore spot that I've been struggling with to get back on track.  You might have to feed this back to me as I go.

fowlmood - 2011-01-06 10:04 PM So far most of the questions I have read have been about workouts
miles/time on running and cycling, yards/meters swimming.

So what about mental  toughness what preparations does everyone make for training and races how do you coupe with different types of physical and mental stress.

This is a great response to my question I went ahead and saved it to my computer thank you

2011-01-07 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3284043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
tri-chic - 2011-01-07 9:03 AM

7)  Know why you are doing this.  This isn't the simple answer, "because somebody asked me to do it."  There's a reason you decided to torture yourself.  You may not even know why right now but you will discover it in your training.  Race day is a catered training day.  It's just another day in the end.  Triathlon is a journey of self discovery.  The work, blood, sweat, tears and money come from a place within.  Know what your motivation is and use it when the going gets tough.

Great post Kelly!  I love everything you wrote, #7 is one that I've noticed in the last 6 months how much it has changed me.  My journey started three years ago when I got tired of team sports, the dependence on others of showing up at a game or some thinking there's an I in TEAM.  I thought I'd try something new, never thought endurance sport was it.  Now I'm hooked, not because of just the health benefits but because it's changing me.  I'm not goign to go into details but mainly it's made me realize how much I've been neglecting the little things that make a big difference to others around me and my career.  I not only have goals in triathlon but also with my life. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Edited by sstucker 2011-01-07 9:25 PM
2011-01-07 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3284230

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
kkcbelle - 2011-01-07 8:02 AM Kelly you should publish that post!! Great stuff in there!

This month's Runner's World has an article on matras -- top people share their mantras at various times during races. Pretty cool to read. Funny to see we share some of the same ones.

I dug up a part of my RR from my IM last year -- this was my dark moment during my race where I had just tossed my cookies on the run course and still had 22 miles to run on a hot day after training through a very cold, wet spring:

"As I was throwing up I felt so horrible I realized that this might be the end of my race. I did not want to give up, but I did not want to be stupid and end up in the medical tent for the rest of the day either. I contemplated my options – part of me said, “Stop. You’re done. This is not your day.” And the rational (irrational?) side said, “You’ll never forgive yourself. You’ve worked too hard. Failure is not an option. Finishing in 17 hours is not failure. You can do this. Even if you walk for the next 22 miles, you can do this. Forward progress. Forward progress.” So off I went, walking tentatively... "

What everyone has said is spot on. We tap into our mental toughness every day (both for training and not). We need to learn how mentally tough we are... Cuz we ALL are!!

You ought to send it to Triathlete and Runners World magazines this hit the nail on the head.
2011-01-07 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3285904

User image

Champion
marietta
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-07 10:09 PM wow, so much to catch up on.  Still on vacation and been far removed from the internet & TV lately.

Still trying to catch with all these posts.. If Luck goes pro, the Panthers would pick him up for sure.

Trek SC 

AWESOME!!!! CONGRATS!!!
2011-01-07 10:27 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-07 10:09 PM wow, so much to catch up on.  Still on vacation and been far removed from the internet & TV lately.

Trek SC 

drooling all over my keyboard!  She's georous!!!!!
2011-01-08 6:04 AM
in reply to: #3285823

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
velcromom - 2011-01-07 9:18 PM

Our deal with our kids is that they get their college degree.....unless they get a signing bonus of $5 million or more, and promise to go back to school eventually.  So far, it's not been an issue.  Cool

Love this. I need to file it away for when my kids get older. Ha!

2011-01-08 6:19 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-07 9:09 PM wow, so much to catch up on.  Still on vacation and been far removed from the internet & TV lately.

Trek SC 

YUM!  What kind of wheels are those? pedals? Do you have a bike case to get it back home with you?  I hope so!
2011-01-08 6:23 AM
in reply to: #3285642

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kt65 - 2011-01-07 6:28 PM Yes, Andre, that works for me too...sometimes, I figure, I can do anything for 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc.  That's why I think occasionally racing is really great for our psyche...whether it's a 5k to a marathon, it reminds us we can do x effort for however long, so intervals of less should be easy peasy!

Insert clearing throat noise here....you better make Kat's trip a good one because you're coming to the Midwest mid summer to ride some hills and swim in the murky water of Lake Monona!  Don't forget it Missy.

And for those who may have missed it on the top left corner is a link to a BT survey.  Always good to fill it out to let Ron know how he is doing....and big discounts for filling it out at several tri shops, including $250 off Xterra full sleeve wetsuits.  I have one and LOVE it.

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-01-08 8:43 AM
2011-01-08 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3285845

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
kt65 - 2011-01-07 8:31 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-01-07 6:11 PM

war eagle.

Quack, Quack.

Did I miss something here?  I don't get it...  I can't tell the tone of the post.  I never said I wanted to be a Boras or Rosenhaus.  I actually wouldn't mind helping recent college grads who just couldn't get drafted.  There are multiple levels in the industry.
2011-01-08 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

tpnguyen10 - 2011-01-07 9:09 PM Trek SC 

Wow!! What a beauty.  Love it!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171