BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-07-06 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED

Hi, everyone. Sounds like training is going well for some of us and slow for others...story of my life! I rode with a girl who used to trail behind me the whole ride, now she kicks my butt. Shows what an extra month of training can do for you!

Sara, take it easy on that sprint! Pain happens for a reason and I'm not sure we are supposed to medicate it and keep going...although I do almost daily!

Mike, you are a machine!

I seem to be more in the zone now...I need to drop about 8-10 pounds, it would make everything a little easier, but I am following the plan much better this week. Iron girl is about 6 weeks out for me. I have been getting in 2 workouts a day, swim/run, bike/strength...but am so dang tired the next day. Can't wait for that to change. The new house is great, but I miss my training buddies...they really motivated me and kept me on schedule!

2011-07-06 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3582138

User image

Master
Dunedin
kgore - 2011-07-05 8:31 PM

Sara--your pain issues don't sound good at all! Are you sure that doing a triathlon will not exacerbate the problems? Be careful--we don't want you sidelined!

My next tri is this coming Saturday--sprint distance, based on a small lake in a park based around a shuttered nuclear power plant!   there's also a Saharan wildlife refuge nearby (Oryx and other hoofstock), so all in all, its a rather weird location--people love to camp and fish around the lake, so I guess its a safe place--I have been there before, but only for birdwatching (another major hobby of mine...).

Kate, your tri sounds pretty interesting!

For the hernia... I did my Ironman last year before it was fixed, so it seems that with the tear there is just discomfort.  It's kind of one of those "exercise to your tolerance of the pain" scenarios.  I'm actually taking it super wicked easy compared to how I used to push through pain.  Without having a significant A race this year I am much less likely to train at all, let alone with any intensity.  I think when my husband is done with his IM (he's doing Lake Placid this year in a few weeks), we'll be able to start training again and it'll be more fun. =)

2011-07-06 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3583056

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
WittyCityGirl - 2011-07-06 11:37 AM
kgore - 2011-07-05 8:31 PM

Sara--your pain issues don't sound good at all! Are you sure that doing a triathlon will not exacerbate the problems? Be careful--we don't want you sidelined!

My next tri is this coming Saturday--sprint distance, based on a small lake in a park based around a shuttered nuclear power plant!   there's also a Saharan wildlife refuge nearby (Oryx and other hoofstock), so all in all, its a rather weird location--people love to camp and fish around the lake, so I guess its a safe place--I have been there before, but only for birdwatching (another major hobby of mine...).

Kate, your tri sounds pretty interesting!

For the hernia... I did my Ironman last year before it was fixed, so it seems that with the tear there is just discomfort.  It's kind of one of those "exercise to your tolerance of the pain" scenarios.  I'm actually taking it super wicked easy compared to how I used to push through pain.  Without having a significant A race this year I am much less likely to train at all, let alone with any intensity.  I think when my husband is done with his IM (he's doing Lake Placid this year in a few weeks), we'll be able to start training again and it'll be more fun. =)

Dude, that is hardcore!

So both you & your hubby are tri crazy types? Both doing full Iron distance!? very cool. I'm guessing you are the most fit couple in the greater Binghamton, NY area?

2011-07-06 6:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

So I got back in to the training this AM after four days off.  It felt great to be back out there!!!  Did my normal bike route and was over a full MPH faster.  Me thinks I need to do better with structure and rest days.....

ETA -- Got in a 45 minute MTB ride with Sonya after dinner.   Nice and easy, but still a bit more .

Edited by croixfan 2011-07-06 9:45 PM
2011-07-06 11:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Went out with the group tonight and completed a mini-practice tri. It wasn't bad, but on the run I was just not able to keep running much at all! I kept cramping up terribly (and not the normal dehydrated/lack of fuel type--it was the 'female' type--sorry for the TMI guys...). Anyway apart from that, I did great on the bike ride--in fact, I passed everybody near the end! THe swim was also decent, only about 600 meters, but I did find a pace at times, and felt pretty good over all. Oh yeah, I also got to remove a rattlesnake from the running trail! Laughing yeah, I know, most people would not be thrilled about that, but its what I do at work! Anyway, he was a cool, good sized rattler--he hopped onto the stick I was using to move him, and went on his merry way...Awesome.
2011-07-07 6:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Hey Kate you need to change your handle on the board to "Rattler"!!!!  You've got more guts than I would have had.

2011-07-07 6:38 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

I'm with Curt on this one -- I'd have run away from the snake like a frightened screechy little kid

Went for a run this AM and it was great. No real course, just went out to run. Did almost 5 miles, and felt good. I'm signing up this week for a half marathon which is happening in October, and this time, I'm not going to miss it (like I had to in March!). Enjoying running again.

Other news -- I think I've found a masters swim program right in my town. Its for the summer only, but starts at 5 AM each weekeday, so I I'm going to start doing that 2x week as soon as I hear back from the coach about details, etc.

2011-07-07 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3584139

User image

kgore - 2011-07-06 11:32 PM Went out with the group tonight and completed a mini-practice tri. It wasn't bad, but on the run I was just not able to keep running much at all! I kept cramping up terribly (and not the normal dehydrated/lack of fuel type--it was the 'female' type--sorry for the TMI guys...). Anyway apart from that, I did great on the bike ride--in fact, I passed everybody near the end! THe swim was also decent, only about 600 meters, but I did find a pace at times, and felt pretty good over all. Oh yeah, I also got to remove a rattlesnake from the running trail! Laughing yeah, I know, most people would not be thrilled about that, but its what I do at work! Anyway, he was a cool, good sized rattler--he hopped onto the stick I was using to move him, and went on his merry way...Awesome.

Okay...I like snakes, but this was crazy! lol I had a similar issue yesterday (not really Wink)...I removed George, my Kenyan Sand Boa, from his aquarium for his dining pleasure (a little frozen mouse) and forgot to go back and put him in his tank. He roamed the spare bedroom for about an hour before I remembered and I had to rescue him from under a cabinet...poor boy! So I kinda feel like a snake wrangler! lol

2011-07-07 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Update -- just landed a spot in the Nantucket Tri on 7/23. This had been sold out, but through a friend of a friend thing I was allowed to sign up. Its a sprint (1/3; 13; 3.3) and should be a great location. Now I just need to figure out how to get there, where to stay the night before, and other logistics. A total scramble at this point.
2011-07-07 7:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
First time back running in about a week.  Held an 8:47 pace and had negative splits on the out and back run -- 10:44, 4:35, 4:28, 10:05.  Very pleased in that (i) I felt tight and slow at the beginning, (ii) legs felt great through the run, (iii) loosened up as I went along, and cardio was solid.  Hoping that as I get back in to my routine I'll find the old pace is easier and/or I can push a bit harder.
2011-07-08 12:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

"Rattler" hmmm? I think that could work....

Honestly, its kinda weird--I have NEVER seen a rattlesnake in the wild before--probably because I like them...and now that I actually work with them, even more so! Truly, had he not been headed for an area with a BUNCH of small children running around (and some drunk hicks...), I would have just let him go on about his business, but I didn't want anything to happen either way!

Today was a rest day, with tomorrow being set for a small bike and run...then off to the race on Saturday!!! Finally! I have been sort of 'meh' thinking about it lately---training well, just not really excited...til yesterday...now I am HYPED! Okay, its late, time for bed...

2011-07-08 4:01 AM
in reply to: #3580551

Extreme Veteran

Looks like everyone is doing great.

Good luck to those who have races coming up - just do your own race though.

Me - looks like I finially have some speed increase because I did a .61 mile run/walk yesterday in 9:45 for a 15:59 pace and a 1.12 mile run/walk today in 20:51 for an 18:37 pace. I also tried my new yoga dvd for the first time and it went well.

2011-07-08 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3583544

User image

Master
Dunedin

Dude, that is hardcore!

So both you & your hubby are tri crazy types? Both doing full Iron distance!? very cool. I'm guessing you are the most fit couple in the greater Binghamton, NY area?

I guess so!  Interestingly, a good handful of men in our tri club have wives that just aren't into physical activity.  They look mismatched at races!  We're planning on doing an IM together in the future. =)

2011-07-08 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin
I have to say, I really enjoy logging in and seeing what you all are up to-some crazy snake stuff and increasing speed...we're an eclectic group, for sure!
2011-07-08 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3586111

Extreme Veteran

Sounds great Sara - it surprises me what couples are actually together sometimes.

Oh and I actually found details for the tri I'm thinking of doing so I may still do it but I need to get a hang on the bike section - bit hard when I've avoided it all month, lol. If I do do it though its a 200m swim, 10k bike and 2k run  for the mini. I'll see what happens though - I need to find out starting times etc to figure out how to get there as I doubt I'll be able to talk anyone else in to coming or taking me.  Anyway do you think it's doable?

My last bike ride was 20 mins at a 4.47 mph pace and it's in Early November - 6th to be exact - and I'm pretty sure I can get the swim distance in by then although I'll have to do some practice on the OWS factor and I'm already run/walking over 2k so it's mainly the bike I'm worried about because I started the beginner program and couldn't even get through week 1 plus it is still yelling at me when I do ride it - I'm going to get it fixed and see what happens after that though.

Oh and the tri is also a month - 4 weeks exact - after a 5k which is technically my first although I'm also doing a relay for life in September where I'm going to try and get as much distance in as I can.

Sorry for the long post guys.

2011-07-08 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Had a great ride after dinner.  Felt a little off in the stomach after a big dinner, but went for the ride.  Very smooth and relaxed.  Legs felt strong and was able to hold solid speed through out the ride.  19.22 average was a new PR for my standard course!

I definitely need to get on a more structured program.  After the few days off, turning in awesome times -- if I trained properly I probably would do better with less effort!!! 

Tomorrow AM plan to get back in the pool.  Likely will do some drills and try and do a nice, easy 1000 yards -- assuming I don't resemble a brick and sink.

2011-07-08 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Had a great ride after dinner.  Felt a little off in the stomach after a big dinner, but went for the ride.  Very smooth and relaxed.  Legs felt strong and was able to hold solid speed through out the ride.  19.22 average was a new PR for my standard course!

I definitely need to get on a more structured program.  After the few days off, turning in awesome times -- if I trained properly I probably would do better with less effort!!! 

Tomorrow AM plan to get back in the pool.  Likely will do some drills and try and do a nice, easy 1000 yards -- assuming I don't resemble a brick and sink.
2011-07-08 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3587625

Extreme Veteran
croixfan - 2011-07-08 9:19 PM

Nice work Curt. And if I can "not resemble a brick and sink" then neither can you. Have fun with your swim tomorrow.

2011-07-08 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Thanks Susie.  Suspect the swim tomorrow will be great.  Prior to taking the time off, was just dead in the water and struggling -- think I was just too tired/worn out.  Thinking tomorrow will be a nice relaxing 1000 yards at a near PR pace BUT while feeling very relaxed.

A bit of irony in that I plan everything else in my life, but won't take the time/make the effort to do so with my training!!!!  Had my best luck earlier in the year when I used a program for six weeks.  Hmmm, maybe there's a lesson there.....

2011-07-09 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Just checking in before heading out for my bike ride this morning. Sounds like everyone has a lot going on! I'm tapering and starting to really think about my race next weekend. Should be fun!

Check in again later.

Johanne

2011-07-09 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3587665

Extreme Veteran

Curt - I'd love to do an "easy 1000" - hang on I may have already mentioned that, lol. Anyway I love having something to follow even if I have to modify it to fit my abilities or how I feel on the day and it actually does keep you acountable if you do it right. One more thing do you have any measurable goals that you're training towards? I find they help me to gauge where I am currently. For instance my swim goal is to do 400m continuous by the end of the year and I'm currently up to 75m continuous. It helps you see progress rather than just going "why the h am I doing this again?"

Johanne - enjoy your taper week and good luck with the race next week.

2011-07-09 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Wanted an early AM bike, but the rain killed that idea. about 9 AM, I start watching the Tour de France on TV, the sun comes out, and the ride is ON! . Did 23.5 miles @ 19.8 pace. Did have some mechanical issues - the rear tire is rubbing on the wheel cut out and it certainly slowed me down. I'm off to the LBS to get this checked out today. I need it fixed asap! Otherwise, ride felt great and it was nice to get out and ride.

Tomorrow AM I have my first ever masters swim class, and quite frankly, I'm thinking I'm going to get blownn out of the pool. If anything I'll get some instruction, some structured workouts, and see how real swimmers do it . Also planning on a nice 4-5 mile run.

This afternoon I'm off to the local REI store with my 11 year old daughter for a 'bike maintenance basics" class. she just got a new Cannondale street bike, and I want her to know how to fix things on it. Should be fun

Good luck to everyone on their races & workouts this weekend!

2011-07-09 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3587932

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
suzielea - 2011-07-09 9:56 AM

Curt - I'd love to do an "easy 1000" - hang on I may have already mentioned that, lol. Anyway I love having something to follow even if I have to modify it to fit my abilities or how I feel on the day and it actually does keep you acountable if you do it right. One more thing do you have any measurable goals that you're training towards? I find they help me to gauge where I am currently. For instance my swim goal is to do 400m continuous by the end of the year and I'm currently up to 75m continuous. It helps you see progress rather than just going "why the h am I doing this again?"

Johanne - enjoy your taper week and good luck with the race next week.

Well Suzie the 1000 yards did not come off -- I did do 100 straight and 700 for the work out!!!!  Unfortunately I don't have any real interim goals and that IS a big problem.  After today's session went back and checked my logs to see what I was doing when I was doing well.  Noticed that I was doing around 3 sessions a week at 1400-1600 yards.  So...  Guess my goal is going to be to do 3 sessions a week at 1400-1600 yards.

My challenge is that I don't like pain / like this to be "easy".  Need to HTFU and push through when it is uncomfortable.  On the plus side, I'm feeling great after the time off and the bike and run bounced back wonderfully.  Plus I did 23 SPL on one of the 50's so my form is pretty good still for short distances.

2011-07-09 9:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

I finished my first sprint tri this morning---the results are quite similar to my first race, but with slight differences: I was dead last in the swim (thanks to either 2 major panic attacks OR asthmatic attacks--more on that later), I think I did decently on the bike, though my hands were 'pins and needle-ly while I rode (that's never happened before--nope--wasn't gripping too hard--I was holding the bars loosely ), my run was mostly walking with a few 20 foot jogs + the run down the shoot at finish (okay, slooooow jog, but still...)--I was third to last in that portion.

Anyway, it was a bit disheartening.

now...during my swim, I made it about a 3rd of the way okay--breathing a little heavy, but not poorly--still slow, but keeping up. After the 1st buoy, I was laboring a little while breathing, so I did back stroke, and tried to get the breathing under control--it didn't happen. It was like my lungs were full of gunk. I then started coughing, which was not helpful at all....Before the second and last buoy, I had to hold onto the kayak to catch my breath--something I NEVER wanted to do. After about 30 seconds, I started swimming again, but I still kept coughing, trying to rid (reflexively) whatever was in my lungs. This brought on more breathing pain. I couldn't even do a backstroke anymore because everything was so congested. About 40 feet from shore, I had to hold onto a kayak again. Finally I made it to shore, but it was still not easy to breathe--even now, nearly 12 hours later, I can't take a full breath because it hurts too much and I just don't have the strength! I talked to my coach, and she,after also discussing the problem with a nurse friend who had the SAME issue in the SAME venue 2 years ago, believes that I might actually have exercise-induced asthma---I wouldn't be surprised as it would explain quite a bit of my breathing issues both in the pool and on the run. So I am going to get a Dr's appointment ASAP and see if we can figure this thing out. In the meantime, I would like to breathe...

Oh yeah, I'm sunburned too!!! GRRRR...I did put on sunblock...I guess it just wasn't my day.

Race report will be posted soon.

2011-07-09 9:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Congratulations Kate!!!!  I'd lay 10 to 1 odds that you're already thinking about the next one / the physcial challenges you faced are fading and you're ready to do better on the next one.

As I've shared before, my first tri had a 500 yard OWS where I took 28 minutes and finished 3rd from the last and I stopped and visited with every kayak on the course.  I thought I was going to die and my Mom was literally in tears on the shore.  But I made it and have done better at each successive one.

Very few folks even give this a shot.  You did it today.  Enjoy the accomplisment and get ready for the next one!!!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72