BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-07-21 10:23 PM
in reply to: #3609035

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

Nicole, I need to steal your idea about writing on your arm! 24 days until my next Tri

I had a full day of riding today, I hope I can sit tomorrow! I went to spin earlier, then decided to hop on the trainer since it seems like I'll never get outside. I really hope I set it up right, I tried to find videos on my trainer specifically and had no luck. The directions were as vague as putting together my daughters wagon, but at least hers had pictures, lol!

Anyway, I only did about 20 mins on the trainer, just to get a feel for it, check out the bike, play with some gears etc. It was fun, but I can totally see how people get bored! I don't have a TV where it's set up, I may have to at least put a movie in my laptop or something to watch. I did have my headphones on, so that helped.

I really hope I can transfer my speed from indoors to outdoors, at least on race day, that will make me super happy! I was flying, but averaged 17.2 (I paused a couple times to reach up for the fan, adjust my headphones or song, and mess with gears) butotherwise, I'm pretty happy with that! I did a small test run to see how fast I could go, I got up to 24.4. I consider that pretty good at the end of the day and about 20 mins after dinner

Tomorrow is Tri Training, then I am off to the beach for the weekend. Woo Hoo!

2011-07-23 6:37 AM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
Good morning everyone-What does everyone have on tap for the weekend?  I'm headed out for a 2-3 hour ride.  Trying to beat some of the heat. 

Enjoy your weekend.

Randy
2011-07-25 10:27 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
HELLOOOOOOOOOO?  Anybody out there?

Randy
2011-07-25 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3613272

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-07-25 10:27 AM HELLOOOOOOOOOO?  Anybody out there?

Randy

I'm here.  It has been a rough week.  Everyone in my house has been sick.  I"m feeling a little better today. 

I think I've found a reason to sign up for another race.  There is one the same day as my husbands family reunion   It's only 3 weeks away and i have not done much training.  It's a sprint, so I figure if nothing else, I can finish it.

Where is everyone?!?  I figured I would have missed out on a bunch.

Christy

2011-07-25 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3613272

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

slornow - 2011-07-25 10:27 AM HELLOOOOOOOOOO?  Anybody out there?

Randy

*crickets* lol

I'm here - went to visit some family at their beach house this weekend. it was fun, but man, they kept us busy! I did get a nice run in on the beach Sunday morning. I'd never done that before. It was fun but I learned some things: #1 wear shoes!! my ankles were killing me yesterday and today my shins and middle back hurt pretty bad. Oh well, live and learn!

I plan on getting on the trainer tonight.

2 weekends until my next race, getting excited!

2011-07-25 2:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I have a question for those who have done and Ironman branded event.  I was all set to register for Eagleman today then I realized that the registration fee is $275 plus a $16 processing fee.  I'm assuming it is so expensive becuase it's an Ironman event.  Are they really that much better than other events?  I could do to other HIM events for what this one will cost. 

Any thoughts?

Christy

2011-07-25 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3613871

User image

Master
South Alabama
Christy-those HIM in WVA seem to be easy and cheap. Right??   Have never done an Ironman branded event so cant help.  I think there are alot of good non Ironman events and it really isn't a big deal one way or another for me.  Paying less $$$ is good.  Although you couldn't pay me to do that West Virginia torture event you did.

Randy 

Edited by slornow 2011-07-25 3:09 PM
2011-07-25 3:33 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael

I did Ironman 70.3 Boise last year and a non WTC sanctioned race this year that was cheaper. My experience was great with both events but I personally enjoyed the one this year, for reasons unrelated to cost. It just depends on what you are wanting from a race. For a first time, I think it was perfect as I was mostly just focused on finishing. WTC has such a large following that every race seems to be a huge production. There was a huge expo, lots of racers, tons of volunteers, and some great free gear. They had the music pumping and the announcers getting the crowd and racers excited all day long. Having that many supporters and fellow racers definitely helped me stay positive and get to the finish line. 

It's such a production and everything is so hyped up that you can lose focus on what you are doing and running your own race. I went to the expo, the pro interviews, I hung out in downtown all day before the race instead of taking it easy, maybe scouting out the course etc... Race day since there were so many people I was constantly passing or being passed by someone so it made it tough to stay within myself and do my own race. This year there were only 400 or so racers compared to 1600 and I absolutely loved it. The crowd was smaller, there were fewer volunteers and they were less enthusiastic, but I was really able to focus and do what I had planned on doing. I am doing another non sanctioned race in two weeks. But next year I think my goal is going to be qualifying for 70.3 Worlds so I think I will give WTC another shot. 

2011-07-25 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3614050

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
MattCan - 2011-07-25 3:33 PM

I did Ironman 70.3 Boise last year and a non WTC sanctioned race this year that was cheaper. My experience was great with both events but I personally enjoyed the one this year, for reasons unrelated to cost. It just depends on what you are wanting from a race. For a first time, I think it was perfect as I was mostly just focused on finishing. WTC has such a large following that every race seems to be a huge production. There was a huge expo, lots of racers, tons of volunteers, and some great free gear. They had the music pumping and the announcers getting the crowd and racers excited all day long. Having that many supporters and fellow racers definitely helped me stay positive and get to the finish line. 

It's such a production and everything is so hyped up that you can lose focus on what you are doing and running your own race. I went to the expo, the pro interviews, I hung out in downtown all day before the race instead of taking it easy, maybe scouting out the course etc... Race day since there were so many people I was constantly passing or being passed by someone so it made it tough to stay within myself and do my own race. This year there were only 400 or so racers compared to 1600 and I absolutely loved it. The crowd was smaller, there were fewer volunteers and they were less enthusiastic, but I was really able to focus and do what I had planned on doing. I am doing another non sanctioned race in two weeks. But next year I think my goal is going to be qualifying for 70.3 Worlds so I think I will give WTC another shot. 

Thanks Matt.  Good things to think about.

Randy-I won't be going back to WVA for awhile!! My legs hurt thinking about that place.

2011-07-25 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Hey all,

Surprised I didn't miss too much after all. Been really busy with trying to focus my training (2 months from today is HIM Augusta...YIKES), and trying to wrap up this semester (nothing better than trying to cram 14 weeks of graduate work into 6 weeks.

This past weekend I made some breakthroughs on the bike, both in terms of nutrition and my overall performance. I did a 2 hour ride on Friday and on Sunday, and both days I felt great. I am really getting down the amount of carbs/calories that I need to take in, as well as the spacing between. My worries of 'bonking' are slowly diminishing, however I still have work to do. I also felt extremely strong on the bike, ever on Sunday when I was tired I kept hammering through, and felt really strong, powerful, fast, etc. Regardless of the word, I felt good. I feel as if my stretching my IT bands more regularly, as well as my quads, hamstrings, etc, has aided me in getting more range of motion/mobility, and in a better pedal stroke. I have a swim planned for tommorow AM, as well as a run in the evening. May try to knock them both out in the morning so my run doesn't get canned due to my hectic schedule. All the best guys (and gals)...keep up the good work.

2011-07-25 9:37 PM
in reply to: #3614050

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
MattCan - 2011-07-25 3:33 PM

How do you find non-WTC events? It seems like everything I come across is. Is there a website I'm missing?

2011-07-26 12:05 AM

User image

Regular
Carmichael

www.trifind.com is a pretty good website for finding races. It doesn't list them all but it has a pretty good list. You search for races using the 'races' tab here in BT, two spots to the left of the 'training log' tab.

I did an open water swim on lake Couer D Alene this evening. The wind was crazy when I got there and swells like 2-3 ft. tall were rolling onto the beach. I was a little unsure of getting in but two other triathletes were just getting out and said it was doable so I hopped in and battled the waves for a half hour or so. I practiced my entrys and trying to sprint hard for the first 50 yards or so. Then all of a sudden the wind stopped, the sun came out and the lake turned to glass. It was awesome! All the boats were gone, nobody was on the beaches. I had the whole lake to myself and really enjoyed it. My last key workout before I start my taper into my second half ironman of the summer. Feeling good and ready for another PR

2011-07-26 12:10 AM

User image

Regular
Carmichael
Has anyone ever done barefoot running? I just listened to an interesting podcast w/ Michael Sandler, one of the leaders of the barefoot movement. He brought up some interesting ideas and I am thinking about maybe in the offseason throwing in a few really short easy barefoot runs every once in awhile. He says it is amazing for run mechanics and increasing foot strength. What do you guys think?
2011-07-26 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3614642

User image

Master
Baltimore
MattCan - 2011-07-26 1:05 AM

www.trifind.com is a pretty good website for finding races. It doesn't list them all but it has a pretty good list. You search for races using the 'races' tab here in BT, two spots to the left of the 'training log' tab.

I did an open water swim on lake Couer D Alene this evening. The wind was crazy when I got there and swells like 2-3 ft. tall were rolling onto the beach. I was a little unsure of getting in but two other triathletes were just getting out and said it was doable so I hopped in and battled the waves for a half hour or so. I practiced my entrys and trying to sprint hard for the first 50 yards or so. Then all of a sudden the wind stopped, the sun came out and the lake turned to glass. It was awesome! All the boats were gone, nobody was on the beaches. I had the whole lake to myself and really enjoyed it. My last key workout before I start my taper into my second half ironman of the summer. Feeling good and ready for another PR

yeah, trifind is the one I always used to find races.  It's pretty comprehensive.  Try just googling "triathlon in MD" or whatever state your looking for.  Sites like tri find that compile listings should pop up.

If I could ever say a swim (and an OWS at that) sounds like fun, that might be it.  Good luck with your taper.

2011-07-26 7:17 AM
in reply to: #3614645

User image

Master
Baltimore

MattCan - 2011-07-26 1:10 AM Has anyone ever done barefoot running? I just listened to an interesting podcast w/ Michael Sandler, one of the leaders of the barefoot movement. He brought up some interesting ideas and I am thinking about maybe in the offseason throwing in a few really short easy barefoot runs every once in awhile. He says it is amazing for run mechanics and increasing foot strength. What do you guys think?

Tried it briefly last summer.  I didn't take is slow enough and it was rough.  I was suuuper sore for about a week after each attempt.  I screwed that up though.  Then, I was going to take the fall to relax after racing was over and build in to it for real, but then decided to have a run focus fall/winter and building slowly doesn't mix well with trying to run as many miles as possible.  I'm thinking about doing it again when I start running again (hopefully) in the fall this year.

I used to get sore, not injured, but sore, with the speed/tempo running I did before last fall.  That's why I was thinking about it - perhaps it would help that.  But the running build I did in the fall/winter (all easy miles) made all the speed/tempo stuff I did late winter and spring of this year a total non issue. 

2011-07-26 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Does anyone else here get confused with Lance Armstrong as much as I do?  I mean, I can't go out for a ride without someone yelling from a car or the side of the road "Go Lance!"  It's just weird, I'm in MD, not TX and he's way shorter than me.  I don't think he'd be caught deal on a Lemond either.  Go figure!

2011-07-26 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3614768

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
Being realistic... what is the preferred amount of time to train for a HIM??
2011-07-26 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

jsiegs - 2011-07-26 7:20 AM Does anyone else here get confused with Lance Armstrong as much as I do?  I mean, I can't go out for a ride without someone yelling from a car or the side of the road "Go Lance!"  It's just weird, I'm in MD, not TX and he's way shorter than me.  I don't think he'd be caught deal on a Lemond either.  Go figure!

I have NEVER, EVER been confused with Lance  

2011-07-26 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3615151

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

khharms - 2011-07-26 10:30 AM Being realistic... what is the preferred amount of time to train for a HIM??

You mean how long a training program should be?  Or how many hours a week you need?  My plan was 20 weeks.  And each week was between 8-13 hours (I think).  I needed every bit of it  

Christy

2011-07-26 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3614645

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

MattCan - 2011-07-26 12:10 AM Has anyone ever done barefoot running? I just listened to an interesting podcast w/ Michael Sandler, one of the leaders of the barefoot movement. He brought up some interesting ideas and I am thinking about maybe in the offseason throwing in a few really short easy barefoot runs every once in awhile. He says it is amazing for run mechanics and increasing foot strength. What do you guys think?

I would be afraid I'd step on something and cut my foot.

2011-07-26 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3615170

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-07-26 11:37 AM

jsiegs - 2011-07-26 7:20 AM Does anyone else here get confused with Lance Armstrong as much as I do?  I mean, I can't go out for a ride without someone yelling from a car or the side of the road "Go Lance!"  It's just weird, I'm in MD, not TX and he's way shorter than me.  I don't think he'd be caught deal on a Lemond either.  Go figure!

Haha.  These people are like the people who yell "FORE!" as they drive by a golf course.  Just a little sarcastic rant on my part

2011-07-26 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3614642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
MattCan - 2011-07-26 12:05 AM

That sounds awesome!

2011-07-26 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3615224

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-07-26 10:56 AM
cbrookhart - 2011-07-26 11:37 AM

Haha.  These people are like the people who yell "FORE!" as they drive by a golf course.  Just a little sarcastic rant on my part

I rarely get yelled at.  When I do, I pretend they say something like "Nice butt!"

2011-07-26 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

You weren't wearing a yellow jersey, were you?

2011-07-26 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3615240

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-07-26 11:59 AM

You weren't wearing a yellow jersey, were you?

negative.  Red/orangy argyle. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56