BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-10-09 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4441265

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!
DaDooRunRun - 2012-10-04 4:25 PM

Well howdy strangers!  I've been gone a loooonnnngggg time and I've missed you guys.  I got a note from Dave when I jumped on today to catch up my training log and I wanted to jump in and say hi.    I just got to the point where I couldn't keep up with the on-line part of all of this.  Good news is I HAVE been keeping up with my training.  I'm eyeball deep in marathon training.  I have a full marathon on October 20th here in Indy.  My training has been super, super good!  This is the first time I've followed every run of a training program and haven't had any health issues or anything.  Knock wood!  I have 1 more 20-miler tomorrow morning and then I taper baby!  My goal is 4:10, which is 10 minutes faster than the marathon I ran last October.  Fingers crossed...I'm definitely on track to meet my goal.  I'll take some time to read back through some posts and try to get caught up with everyone.

Dave...a special thanks for reaching out.  I'm SO glad you did! 

Jax

So glad your training is going well...it will be a great feeling when that last 20 miler is over!

Q

2012-10-09 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!
2012-10-09 2:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Hey everyone!

Welcome back Jackie, and great training! You're going to do great!

Congrats to Q and Dave on Chicago!!! I'm gonna read your race report in a bit. It's like you don't get any credit, Quincy, for running a marathon, since you just finished an IRONMAN!!! It's still quite a feat, especially since you're just recovering from that Ironman.

My recovery has take a bit longer than I expected, and I have taken a little more time off, with just some short running mileage, until today. Today was my first brick, and it went pretty well, so the race is still on...for now.

Don't forget to post your training, since tomorrow is Wednesday, and you know what that means!!! (It means if I get around to it, I'll post all the training logs).

2012-10-09 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Anyone hear from Shelly?

Great race Dave and Q.

Started PT today. Things are starting to loosen up, headaches are just about gone. Hope to start training in November, probably chase a turkey. LOL

May the Legs be with You

Tom
2012-10-10 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Dave,

That made me laugh...on my race report. I was sneaking behind your back, because I didn't want to post that I was doing a 5K, when you and Q were running a marathon!! I just now realized that there is a forum with race reports. I thought you had to go to someone's training logs and see their race report from there. I was wondering how y'all found it. Sometimes it just takes me a whileTongue out

2012-10-10 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4447004

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

TLakatos1259 - 2012-10-09 3:33 PM Anyone hear from Shelly? Great race Dave and Q. Started PT today. Things are starting to loosen up, headaches are just about gone. Hope to start training in November, probably chase a turkey. LOL May the Legs be with You Tom

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Be very diligent on your PT! I'm thinking about chasing a turkey myself...

2012-10-10 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4438825

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
OCTOBER TOTALS:

Name     Swim yrds/Bike miles/Run miles   Total time

Pink        700         35.10          39.15        13:14:30  *Wow* someone has been training hard!!

Sarah     6300       56.50         15.79        08:11:18

Dave       0            52.00          29.20        08:10:48

Jax          0              0              41.50       06:23:03  *Great run training - you're gonna smoke it!!!

Mike        0              0              33.85        05:32:56 

Quincy     0              0              27.70        04:11:16 *If you slowed down a little your training time would be much higherWink

TJ          500           14.15           0            00:58:50

Shelly      0              0                4.02        00:48:17   

Yvonne    825           0                 0           00:15:22

Todd       ???Awaiting word on the Twin Cities Marathon???

Tom        ***Awesome job on your diet***

2012-10-10 9:07 PM

User image

Just caught up a bit on posts.  Congrats to T.J. with the new arrival and Congrats to Tom on the "decreasing" weight!  Glad to  hear Sarah is feeling better.  Twin Cities marathon went well - a nice cool sunny day.  finished 3:59:34 - under 4 hours by the skin of my teeth which was the goal.  I think I can do better, though it will have to wait until next year.  I will try to post my hoped for races in 2013 sometime next week.  I'm going into recovery mode for the next week or so and then I will try to stay more diligent on keeping up with posts
2012-10-11 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4449210

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

trei - 2012-10-10 9:07 PM Just caught up a bit on posts.  Congrats to T.J. with the new arrival and Congrats to Tom on the "decreasing" weight!  Glad to  hear Sarah is feeling better.  Twin Cities marathon went well - a nice cool sunny day.  finished 3:59:34 - under 4 hours by the skin of my teeth which was the goal.  I think I can do better, though it will have to wait until next year.  I will try to post my hoped for races in 2013 sometime next week.  I'm going into recovery mode for the next week or so and then I will try to stay more diligent on keeping up with posts

Great job!!! Sub 4hr marathon is a huge milestone!! Good for you!!

2012-10-11 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Oh Shelleeeeeeeeey!!! If you are out there I have a question for you!!

Are you coming to Ocean Springs this weekend for Cruisin' the Coast? I had an awesome run today along the beach and got to see all the cars lined up and getting ready for the weekend. Let me know if you are going to be around, and maybe we can get together.

2012-10-11 11:19 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hey everybody...I kind of built a frankenstien monster over in tri talk when I suggested someone form an advanced short course mentor group so I could join it...

Just FYI I'm not leaving this group, I love the tour, but this idea I had needs to go somewhere because there is no outlet for people who are trying to crush short course. It's not uncommon for mentors to also belong to another group as mentees, so please don't think I am unhappy or anything. I love this group.

Dave and I were talking about how it almost might become something like SWBKRUN, where the same people just keep coming back time after time and I'm all for it...

I'll keep you posted on how the other group is coming along and if you're interested in increasing your short course game, if you don't join the group, you at least want to lurk. I really want it to be beyond the bucket so to speak...we've gotten all the new guy stuff out of the way and we have figured out our baselines as athletes and now need to fine tune training and race execution to squeeze every last second out of ourselves.

Anyway, off to California tonight so I'll be in and out and maybe not posting a whole bunch. Or maybe a lot, who knows...

Cheers,

Q

2012-10-11 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4449998

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-10-11 11:19 AM

Hey everybody...I kind of built a frankenstien monster over in tri talk when I suggested someone form an advanced short course mentor group so I could join it...

Just FYI I'm not leaving this group, I love the tour, but this idea I had needs to go somewhere because there is no outlet for people who are trying to crush short course. It's not uncommon for mentors to also belong to another group as mentees, so please don't think I am unhappy or anything. I love this group.

Dave and I were talking about how it almost might become something like SWBKRUN, where the same people just keep coming back time after time and I'm all for it...

I'll keep you posted on how the other group is coming along and if you're interested in increasing your short course game, if you don't join the group, you at least want to lurk. I really want it to be beyond the bucket so to speak...we've gotten all the new guy stuff out of the way and we have figured out our baselines as athletes and now need to fine tune training and race execution to squeeze every last second out of ourselves.

Anyway, off to California tonight so I'll be in and out and maybe not posting a whole bunch. Or maybe a lot, who knows...

Cheers,

Q

Have fun in CA!!     Quincy is not leaving the group.    Its like a teacher,  taking more classes to be a better teacher.    Gotta always be in "learn new things" mode.    Really its a great example.       So no worries.   

We actually over the marathon weekend discussed a couple of ideas, and met Matt Gilmartin  who has another Mentor group here on BT   (yup one big happy online family)    He is an AWESOME swimmer, and great guy. (Except do not challenge him in Fantasy football   Ya kicking my butt REALLY good)    

So anyhow  Q had this great idea that we all discussed of  Group vs. Group training minutes or miles or whatever.    Would be a lot of fun, and motivating for both groups to have some friendly competition.   Not sure how we would structure this  but I think it could really be beneficial.  

Was also thinking of borrowing Matt from time to time to help us with swim questions/training.    Oh yes and Fantasy football tips for my team  but I digress. 

Been taking care of lots of "life" issues     Fixing furnace,  new hot water heater.   Dog training classes,  marathon stuff drama.    

So anyhow  lets keep this an ongoing never ending group.    I would love to have different people in the group take on different aspects  like Sarah has with the training log scorecard.    So we can evolve into something "more"      But but  always take on newcomers.   Why?  cause they are so much fun, as y'all are.     We all can then share our thoughts experience(s) and then continue to live vicariously through the achievements of everyone else in the group as we continue to support and motivate each other.    

Now the dog needs to go out.   I need some advil as  one daughter is practicing Tuba, the other Trombone, and then I have to write a really big check to the water heater guy.    THEN!  get my butt to spin. 

Later!   (OH yeah and GO ORIOLES!  really need some support there for tonight's game)

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-10-11 4:26 PM
2012-10-11 8:12 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
trei - 2012-10-10 9:07 PMJust caught up a bit on posts.  Congrats to T.J. with the new arrival and Congrats to Tom on the "decreasing" weight!  Glad to  hear Sarah is feeling better.  Twin Cities marathon went well - a nice cool sunny day.  finished 3:59:34 - under 4 hours by the skin of my teeth which was the goal.  I think I can do better, though it will have to wait until next year.  I will try to post my hoped for races in 2013 sometime next week.  I'm going into recovery mode for the next week or so and then I will try to stay more diligent on keeping up with posts
Woot! Congrats on the sub4!
2012-10-12 5:35 PM
in reply to: #4450531

User image

Veteran
Way cool idea Dave!

And the winning group can have a years supply of Cucumber Gatorade, right? LOL ok, maybe a 6 pack.
Hey, have you tried it with Vodka, Gin, or Southern Comfort? Ad a little Jaegermister for some color. Woo hoo

If you're all nice, I'll give you my secret recipe for a Purple Tom, (get your minds out of the gutter) its a drink!

Down to 195 lbs. and 13 days to a new battery.

PT is going well and now I'm itching to start working out.

Tom
2012-10-12 11:49 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Tomorrow night after work.  Meeting up with another couple   for Dinner at the Milwaukee Ale house,  before heading over to the Pabst theater to see Jerry Seinfeld!  SO excited.    Pretty much the last  not serious thing before   going into race mindset.   Eat  sleep  work  fly right  to begin my assault on getting back my competitiveness.

No worries    If chips and dip are available.   I will NOT be double dipping.   I may have double dipped  Quincy's  buffalo chicken cheese dip.    Seriously good But still very much frowned upon

2012-10-13 9:10 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
So, anyone figure out where we are staying for Memphis in May yet? I'm a planner, so I like to set stuff up early. What day is everyone arriving? Leaving? I like to put my vacation requests in early too :-)

2012-10-14 7:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
I still don't know if I'll be there :-( because of baseball and anniversary but we were there in July.  We stayed at Hyatt Place in Germantown TN to play ball in Southhaven MS.  Safe place but I don't know if it's close to the race site.  Also make sure to have any wine etc. on hand for Sunday evening because I found out to my dismay that both that MS county and TN county were closed on Sundays.  Led to an interesting trip to a convenience store where I thought I was going to get shot but that is another story.
2012-10-14 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Just returned from OWS put on by the tri.  Hilarious!  I found that I don't need to worry at all about contact swimming because in 2 seconds, everyone left me.  DFL both times (even finished behind the guy that had people "float" him two to three times) but I'm perfectly ok with it.  So I'll be last on the swim and last on the bike.  While running is my supposed strength, I still expect to sweep the course because I'll be so far behind from the other two legs.  It's like I told DH, I was embarassed to find myself so far behind but I'm thrilled to have the unknown removed.  I'm really looking forward to my tri now.
2012-10-14 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4453071

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Pink Socks - 2012-10-14 10:07 AM Just returned from OWS put on by the tri.  Hilarious!  I found that I don't need to worry at all about contact swimming because in 2 seconds, everyone left me.  DFL both times (even finished behind the guy that had people "float" him two to three times) but I'm perfectly ok with it.  So I'll be last on the swim and last on the bike.  While running is my supposed strength, I still expect to sweep the course because I'll be so far behind from the other two legs.  It's like I told DH, I was embarassed to find myself so far behind but I'm thrilled to have the unknown removed.  I'm really looking forward to my tri now.

I love that getting blown out of the water made you even more excited for your race. Rock on with your bad old self!

2012-10-14 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4453090

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-10-14 10:38 AM

Pink Socks - 2012-10-14 10:07 AM Just returned from OWS put on by the tri.  Hilarious!  I found that I don't need to worry at all about contact swimming because in 2 seconds, everyone left me.  DFL both times (even finished behind the guy that had people "float" him two to three times) but I'm perfectly ok with it.  So I'll be last on the swim and last on the bike.  While running is my supposed strength, I still expect to sweep the course because I'll be so far behind from the other two legs.  It's like I told DH, I was embarassed to find myself so far behind but I'm thrilled to have the unknown removed.  I'm really looking forward to my tri now.

I love that getting blown out of the water made you even more excited for your race. Rock on with your bad old self!

X2!!
2012-10-14 8:17 PM
in reply to: #4449993

User image

Expert
Hammond
Sarah73 - 2012-10-11 11:16 AM

Oh Shelleeeeeeeeey!!! If you are out there I have a question for you!!

Are you coming to Ocean Springs this weekend for Cruisin' the Coast? I had an awesome run today along the beach and got to see all the cars lined up and getting ready for the weekend. Let me know if you are going to be around, and maybe we can get together.

Sarah,
I am so sorry, I just saw this but no we didn't make it to cruisin this year. I was sooo disappointed not to be able to go. Unfortunately I had to work all weekend and we just couldn't fit it in. I would have loved getting to meet you and your family in person. My sister, her family and my parents all went as usual. Dh and I really hated missing it.

Hope you are healing well.

Shelly

2012-10-14 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4453071

User image

Expert
Hammond
Pink Socks - 2012-10-14 10:07 AM

Just returned from OWS put on by the tri.  Hilarious!  I found that I don't need to worry at all about contact swimming because in 2 seconds, everyone left me.  DFL both times (even finished behind the guy that had people "float" him two to three times) but I'm perfectly ok with it.  So I'll be last on the swim and last on the bike.  While running is my supposed strength, I still expect to sweep the course because I'll be so far behind from the other two legs.  It's like I told DH, I was embarassed to find myself so far behind but I'm thrilled to have the unknown removed.  I'm really looking forward to my tri now.

Well I will only say that you should be in awesome company. I was number 811 out of 824 at my last Tri. Like the saying goes- "save the best for last"- hehe.

Shelly
2012-10-14 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4450531

User image

Expert
Hammond
oriolepwr - 2012-10-11 4:24 PM

quincyf - 2012-10-11 11:19 AM

Cheers,

Q

Have fun in CA!!     Quincy is not leaving the group.    Its like a teacher,  taking more classes to be a better teacher.    Gotta always be in "learn new things" mode.    Really its a great example.       So no worries.   

We actually over the marathon weekend discussed a couple of ideas, and met Matt Gilmartin  who has another Mentor group here on BT   (yup one big happy online family)    He is an AWESOME swimmer, and great guy. (Except do not challenge him in Fantasy football   Ya kicking my butt REALLY good)    

So anyhow  Q had this great idea that we all discussed of  Group vs. Group training minutes or miles or whatever.    Would be a lot of fun, and motivating for both groups to have some friendly competition.   Not sure how we would structure this  but I think it could really be beneficial.  

Was also thinking of borrowing Matt from time to time to help us with swim questions/training.    Oh yes and Fantasy football tips for my team  but I digress. 

Been taking care of lots of "life" issues     Fixing furnace,  new hot water heater.   Dog training classes,  marathon stuff drama.    

So anyhow  lets keep this an ongoing never ending group.    I would love to have different people in the group take on different aspects  like Sarah has with the training log scorecard.    So we can evolve into something "more"      But but  always take on newcomers.   Why?  cause they are so much fun, as y'all are.     We all can then share our thoughts experience(s) and then continue to live vicariously through the achievements of everyone else in the group as we continue to support and motivate each other.    

Now the dog needs to go out.   I need some advil as  one daughter is practicing Tuba, the other Trombone, and then I have to write a really big check to the water heater guy.    THEN!  get my butt to spin. 

Later!   (OH yeah and GO ORIOLES!  really need some support there for tonight's game)

Dave,

I love the ideas. Challenges and competitions (friendly that is) are always motivational for me. And believe me I need some serious mojo right now.
Taking care of life issues also right now and they are whipping my booty. I have still been training but have been terrible about logging. It's time to get back on track.

And can you please share the Advil- my 10yo thinks she's a songwriter/singer. The tunes coming out of her room would scare the zombies away but we don't have the heart to tell her. Dh and I aren't sure who's going to crack up first out of the two of us.

Shelly
2012-10-14 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4452040

User image

Expert
Hammond
TLakatos1259 - 2012-10-12 5:35 PM

Way cool idea Dave!

And the winning group can have a years supply of Cucumber Gatorade, right? LOL ok, maybe a 6 pack.
Hey, have you tried it with Vodka, Gin, or Southern Comfort? Ad a little Jaegermister for some color. Woo hoo

If you're all nice, I'll give you my secret recipe for a Purple Tom, (get your minds out of the gutter) its a drink!

Down to 195 lbs. and 13 days to a new battery.

PT is going well and now I'm itching to start working out.

Tom

Tom ,
Can't wait for the recipe. I'll be as nice as I know how. Not sure how nice that is though- hehe.

Awesome on the weight and good luck with getting the new battery. Is it difficult to replace? You'd think I'd know but if it ain't birthing babies it ain't my specialty- lol.

Keep us posted,
Shelly
2012-10-14 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4452861

User image

Expert
Hammond
ransick - 2012-10-13 9:10 PM

So, anyone figure out where we are staying for Memphis in May yet? I'm a planner, so I like to set stuff up early. What day is everyone arriving? Leaving? I like to put my vacation requests in early too :-)

Mike,
We are tentatively planning to arrive Thursday late that night. We have to wait until dd gets out of school to get on the road and it's about a sixish hour drive for us. I would love to go up Wednesday but dd can't miss that much school. Not sure where we'll stay. That'll depend on you guys and on what the host hotel offers. Last year the host hotel was Harrah's Tunica but I can't find out the race participant prices for this year. I am guessing that info won't be up until closer to registration opening in December.

I can't wait though. I'm very excited about the weekend.

Shelly
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51