BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-07-08 9:26 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Congrats on the great races, Jason and Rachel! Today is rest day, and it couldn't have come sooner...

2013-07-08 3:05 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Rachel, yesterday was HOT just to stand around... Really good job and amazing results!
2013-07-08 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4797762

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Well done Jason! That's a great time. Look forward to getting the details in your RR.

Today I am incredibly stiff. Once I get moving I'm ok but as soon as I sit down I struggle to get moving again. Also, Kevin just cleaned up my road rash, which HURT. I've got some fun pictures and it turns out my shoulder is quite a lot more extensive than I realised... I guess I won't be swimming for a little while.

We got back home today, but I haven't had the energy to unpack the car yet, so the RR will have to wait till I get my laptop out. I'm off work for the next week, which is probably a good thing.
2013-07-09 6:21 AM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Master
South Alabama

Rachel-the stiffness you describe is what I call the "Tin Man" like from the Wizard of Oz. So hard to get moving and everything feels like its creaking and rusted together. Get some rest...you deserve it.

Got an early swim in this morning.....since I missed my swim yesterday. Now, I'll be on the road for work but back this evening for a bike workout. Have a good day everyone!

2013-07-09 12:42 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
For the first time in ages I didn't wake to the sound of rain!!!

Friend of mine and I set out for a 45 mile ride at 8:00 a.m., missed our turn at mile 15 (is this it? I don't know. Wasn't there a sign on the road last week? Maybe it's up ahead? Yeah, it's probably just a mile further down the road), and by the time we'd realized it, we'd already gone up and down some pretty serious hills that we didn't want to backtrack on. It was only 7 more miles to Strom Thurmond Lake/Dam, so we headed there and had a quick snack/bathroom/refill the water bottle break and decided on our route home. We ended up going 57 miles over some pretty hilly terrain.

Did I already mention that it was HILLY! The 3+ mile hill at mile 53 wasn't very fun today. I was glad the dogs that live 1/2 way up that hill weren't out...I wouldn't have had the energy to squirt my water bottle at them. In the end, as hard as the ride was, it'll make the HIM course in September seem easy.
2013-07-09 3:05 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

I feel I'm getting a spring back to my step, after not doing anything at all wed to sat, sunday I done a 10 mile bike ride (first time wearing the clipless pedals: loved it going uphill but fell when taking a turn - the car in front hesitated and stopped when I thought he was going straight through ) - felt ok.
On Monday I done a 3 mile run and already started to feel better and today went to the swimming session and didn't struggle at all, and went for a '4 mile jog' with a friend who's new to running, so pretty relaxed and enjoyable.
I'm feeling more positive... I think it's the good weather!

Wow Nancy, 57 miles is impressive in my books.

2013-07-09 7:36 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Master
South Alabama

Tay-glad you are OK. The clipless pedals will eventually become second nature/automatic.

Nancy-good work on the ride. Those types of rides can help bulld confidence during the build up to a race. You will be more than ready for the HIM.

2013-07-09 7:52 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by slornow

The Continental GP 4000s are great tires. I use them for both training and racing. Other places that typically have good prices on tires include www.biketiresdirect.com and www.bicycledoctorusa.com  Not sure what their current prices are but run some good specials.

Jason-nice job. Speedy time.  

Ok now I have a question about what size to get. I need 700 as that is the size tube the LBS sold me, 700 20-25.
The tires I have seen come in 700 x 20, 23 & 25. The only #'s I see on my tire like that are 622x15. Does that mean I should be able to find a 700 x 22?

You get the whole inch foot thing down in grade school then they going throw in the metric system and now I have to learn bike sizing!!!
Makes my head hurt
2013-07-09 8:41 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Master
South Alabama
Mary-I would go with the 700 X 20 or 23. The 25 may be a bit wide for your rims. The 700 X 20 was pretty standard until a couple of years ago when wider tires and rims became the rage. Much of the aero data indicates that the wider rims and tires are more aero than the narrower set ups. Anything bigger than the 700 X 23 may result in clearance issues either with the brakes or frame. Might be worth a little extra to buy from the LBS to make sure you get the right size for your bike. Then in the future you will know what works and can save $$ by ordering online. They may even install the tires/tubes for you and adjust your brakes if there are clearance issues with installation......the clearance issue should only be with getting the tire past the brakes.....assuming you are putting them on your current rims there should be no need to adjust the brake in relation to the rim. With the wider tires you sometimes have to open up the brakes to get the tire part past the brakes.  Hope this makes some sense??   
2013-07-09 9:36 PM

User image

Expert

Rachel - that's a great performance!!

Jason - your are draft worthy!!

I had a great brick today, even despite all the heat and humidity. 87 miles bike/5.2 miles run. Actually felt pretty good. I'm very pleased with my speed on the bike as I am finally consistently surpassing the 20 mph average! Tomorrow is a day off from training.

Jim
2013-07-09 10:36 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Mary,

I use 700-23 for all of the reasons that Randy discussed. They have a really comfortable ride. They are supposedly more aero, although how I would actually confirm this is a mystery. They mount up on the rims really easy and I have no clearance issues with my brakes.

Sorry for my absence lately. I have been busier than a one legged man at a butt kicking contest . I'll try to be better. Luckily Randy carries the group.

I am recovering from the weekend. I noticed some residual soreness in my quads during ths evenings trainer session. Also got in a swim today. I started out on fire but struggled towards the end. Overall, a mixed bag of training today. I need to update my logs. I have all the info but never get it in when I am out of town.

2013-07-10 8:43 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Race Report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Back to the training grind. I had a pretty good ride last night. I had my old bike on the trainer...... Workout called for 2 x 20 minute intervals. I was really struggling with the first interval so I made the decision to change something up. Between intervals I switched and put my new bike on the trainer and recalibrated. The second interval was noticably easier than the first. Weird. Psychological? Better bike/drivetrain? Who knows? I am glad it felt easier on the new bike than the old bike.
2013-07-10 8:44 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning group!

I think we have several people racing this weekend. I'm doing a sprint on Saturday. Who else is racing?

I know many in the group have their "A" or priority races coming up in the latter part of the Summer. May be a good time to get ahead on some of the bike maintenance. One area that often gets overlooked is the drivetrain....specifically your chain and cassette. Not expensive to replace but can make a big difference in your shifting and efficiency. Do this several weeks out from your big race so you can make sure everything is working smoothly in the weeks leading up to your race. I like to get a new cassette whenever I get a new chain...might be overkill but woth the $100 or so.  Chances are if you have 2500 miles or so on your chain it has stretched a bit and is due for replacement. Also, if you plan to get some new tires before the big race do so a few weeks out as well. There will be plenty to keep you busy heading into an "A" race so the more you can get done now the better.  

2013-07-10 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Good morning group!

I think we have several people racing this weekend. I'm doing a sprint on Saturday. Who else is racing?

I know many in the group have their "A" or priority races coming up in the latter part of the Summer. May be a good time to get ahead on some of the bike maintenance. One area that often gets overlooked is the drivetrain....specifically your chain and cassette. Not expensive to replace but can make a big difference in your shifting and efficiency. Do this several weeks out from your big race so you can make sure everything is working smoothly in the weeks leading up to your race. I like to get a new cassette whenever I get a new chain...might be overkill but woth the $100 or so.  Chances are if you have 2500 miles or so on your chain it has stretched a bit and is due for replacement. Also, if you plan to get some new tires before the big race do so a few weeks out as well. There will be plenty to keep you busy heading into an "A" race so the more you can get done now the better.  

Funny you should bring this up.  I took my SEVEN in because it was having some shifting issues and even after replacing the cables and diddling around with things, it wasn't much better.  My mechanic was frustrated he couldn't fix it on the spot and told me he though I probably needed a new drivetrain.  I've replaced the chain every year, but haven't done the cassette in three.  Is there anything else that should be looked at/replaced at the same time?  Going to get it done when I get back from vacation.

One other question on the tires.  Is there any evidence that a narrower tire (e.g. 22 which is on the Parlee) is less stable in rain?  I'm used to a 23 on the SEVEN.

2013-07-10 10:43 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Good morning group!

I replaced my chain before Mont Tremblant. I am always amazed at how much smoother just changing the chain makes the machine run. I am not as aggressive as Randy. I replace the cassette with every second chain. I am researching getting a new/different cassette for Tahoe because of the hills.

Speaking of hills, does anyone in the group use a compact crank? I am seriously considering putting one on my bike. I want to be faster and I continue to look for any advantage I can find. I am not convinced that it is indeed the magic bullet but I am thinking about it. The guy who set the 50+ AG TT record last month rides a compact. If someone that powerful rides a compact it seems like it might work for me.

About 23 mm wide tires. I think that increased cornering/grip is one of the reasons that people advocate going wider.....
2013-07-10 11:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Good morning group!

I've got a sprint on Sunday. YAY! I Hope it doesn't rain..... And while my tendon doesn't hurt running it sure puts up a fight after. PT says that's normal and it's getting better so here's hoping!

I just replaced my whole drivetrain and I'm having a hard time getting the shifting dialed in and it's frustrating me. GRUMBLE.

As to tire size, it really depends on the tire too. Some 25s feel like 23s and the reverse.

Mary is relatively new to riding skinny tires, right? so I would say get the 23s at least (if not the 25s). I don' t know how the contis run. Tube sizes 700 20-25 will fit all tires in that range (in case that wasn't obvious).

get back to work! Happy Wednesday.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-07-10 11:12 AM

2013-07-10 3:21 PM

User image

Tay-glad you are OK. The clipless pedals will eventually become second nature/automatic.

When does that happen??? I fell again today, and hurt my elbow pretty bad (I'm sure I can see cartilage... lol although DH doesn't seem to agree... lol). I think my natural instinct is to lean to the right, but it kinda means having to unclip both feet as I also 'lead' with the right... **sigh** I'll get there I guess... On a positive note I'm slightly (even if just ever so slightly) faster, which is keeping me positive

Good morning group!

I'm racing this Wednesday coming, it's the last 'prep' sprint race before my A (oly) race on the 4th of Aug. Got my bike serviced last weekend and it's ready to go.
2013-07-10 6:02 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by tatous

When does that happen??? I fell again today, and hurt my elbow pretty bad (I'm sure I can see cartilage... lol although DH doesn't seem to agree... lol). I think my natural instinct is to lean to the right, but it kinda means having to unclip both feet as I also 'lead' with the right... **sigh** I'll get there I guess... On a positive note I'm slightly (even if just ever so slightly) faster, which is keeping me positive

PRACTICE!!!

Take your bike in the house and put it in an open doorway and sit on it - hold onto the door jambs for balance. Clip in, clip out, clip in clip out - repeat! It's all about muscle memory and knowing where the cleat is on the bottom of your shoe without thinking about it. Lead with whichever makes you more comfortable.

Everyone has that one embarrassing fall in front of their friends, then it's over
2013-07-11 8:11 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Well, it seems that I will periodically have what feels like a really crappy swim....that was this morning. Effort level felt way too hard for the times. Oh well at least its done.

Jason-compact cranks. I saw the article on the TT record. That guy is a beast. I will definitely consider compact when I get a new crank set. Probably will not be for another year or so. Most of what I have seen indicates that the majority of cyclists/triathletes would benefit from using compact cranks.

Group question-just curious but for those that can track cadence on the bike what it your usual cadence. I'm usually in the 86-88 range. Sometimes a little higher in a race but rare for me to see 90 after a long ride.

Bike workout tonight and easy run tomorrow with race on Saturday. 

2013-07-11 8:44 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Well, it seems that I will periodically have what feels like a really crappy swim....that was this morning. Effort level felt way too hard for the times. Oh well at least its done.

Jason-compact cranks. I saw the article on the TT record. That guy is a beast. I will definitely consider compact when I get a new crank set. Probably will not be for another year or so. Most of what I have seen indicates that the majority of cyclists/triathletes would benefit from using compact cranks.

Group question-just curious but for those that can track cadence on the bike what it your usual cadence. I'm usually in the 86-88 range. Sometimes a little higher in a race but rare for me to see 90 after a long ride.

Bike workout tonight and easy run tomorrow with race on Saturday. 

Sorry your swim sucked. Yeah, it happens. Tomorrow is another day

I have a compact crankset but I've never ridden a real double so I can't compare. I gotta think it's like messing with any gear ratio - better on the up hills, sucky on the down hills. If I pedal, I out pedal my gears. Is that article you read online?

I stopped tracking cadence because I can generally tell where I'm at by feel now. I always try to keep it in the 80-100 range for general riding and usually ride right around 90. I'm in the 70s on game day which I'm sure is too low but I tend to go too hard on the bike

Swim for me - not good, not bad. Just trying to go easy these days and keep it aerobic. Race on Sunday!

Have a good Thursday!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-07-11 8:44 AM
2013-07-11 1:40 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
swimskin, speedsuit, skinsuit...... I know we talked about them before but I think I need to get one but I don't want to break the bank.

Anyone know anything about the Xterra Velocity M?
"retail" 350
coupon 210
net 140

seems like a good price for an entry skinsuit.

thoughts?

Wish I had thought of this a week ago. Thanks.

2013-07-11 3:10 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Swimskin you just wear for the swim over your tri suit. Essentially, there are two types. 1) has some thin neoprene or similar rubber type fabric and 2) the other type has no neoprene and is just a very fast fabric (hydrophobic??) in the water.  USAT has a list on its website of USAT approved swimskins. BUT, and it may be a big issue is if you plan to use the swimskin in a WTC (Ironman labeled IM or 70.3) event they do not allow the neoprene type of swimskins. Not sure about the Xterra and where it falls. I would definitely check the USAT list before buying. Seems like there was an article or 2 on Slowtwitch within the last few months reviewing several swimskins. I have one and use it in most races that are not wetsuit legal. Really compresses everything and the neoprene/rubberized ones seem to add a bit of floatation. Definitely faster in the pool with it on when I did some practice swims.

Hope that helps. 

Here is the link to the USAT list: http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/rulebook/approved-skinsuits.aspx

Edited by slornow 2013-07-11 3:12 PM
2013-07-11 3:14 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Swimskin you just wear for the swim over your tri suit. Essentially, there are two types. 1) has some thin neoprene or similar rubber type fabric and 2) the other type has no neoprene and is just a very fast fabric (hydrophobic??) in the water.  USAT has a list on its website of USAT approved swimskins. BUT, and it may be a big issue is if you plan to use the swimskin in a WTC (Ironman labeled IM or 70.3) event they do not allow the neoprene type of swimskins. Not sure about the Xterra and where it falls. I would definitely check the USAT list before buying. Seems like there was an article or 2 on Slowtwitch within the last few months reviewing several swimskins. I have one and use it in most races that are not wetsuit legal. Really compresses everything and the neoprene/rubberized ones seem to add a bit of floatation. Definitely faster in the pool with it on when I did some practice swims.

Hope that helps. 

Here is the link to the USAT list: http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/rulebook/approved-skinsuits.aspx

Yep, I did check out USAT and it is on their approved list as it is hydrophobic (afraid of the water?) anyway what do you all wear?

I keep seeing all those terms used interchangably. On Xterras website it quotes usat "a race kit or tri suit may be worn underneath swimwear/speedsuits" and they call theirs a speedsuit. However, it is on the USAT list of "approved skinsuits." AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I found a few reviews that look good. I might give it a try. I like the wetsuit I got from them.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-07-11 3:20 PM
2013-07-12 7:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I've been out of town the past few days, in a teaching conference in Charleston, SC. I really enjoy working out while traveling; I get a chance to check out the city from the ground up. Just finished up a 10-mile run this morning running over a large bridge right by the ocean, which is a great sight. Nate and I have a sprint race coming up on Sunday; it'll be nice to compare results from Sunday to last year's performance. I hope everyone has a great Friday!
2013-07-12 9:05 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Swimskin: I use a DeSoto Swimskin. I am not 100% sure that I would buy it again. I don't dislike it but I don't love it either.

I had a really nice swim this morning. My main set workout was 10 x 200 leaving on 3:30. I was pretty easily finishing each set at 3:02-4. The interesting thing, and I have commented on this before, is that I was supposed to do numers 4 and 5 and 9 and 10 really hard. I sure tried, but my pace for the hard sets where I really tried to blow it out was exactly, and I mean exactly, the same as my more moderate effort sets. I have devolved in to swimming everything at the exact same speed, no matter what my effort level. Obviously something in my form breaks down when I go hard. I need to figure this out.

My trainer ride last night went well also. I find that watching the TDF while on the trainer makes it much harder to give up on hard sets. i don't want to wimp out while watching those guys turn themselves inside out.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88