BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-03-11 9:28 AM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Originally posted by SportzVision

Everything is clean and clear! Definitely a lump of tissue but not a mass! Woot woot!

The sun is shining the weather is great and I have been outside playing. Yesterday I ran a trail run and felt better than I have in a long time then went to frolic in the pool with my grandson for a few hours and then we headed to the movies. Today we are hiking to the cross, where i ran yesterday, with the dogs and then a bike ride together...gotta get my real ride in before he gets here!

GREAT news, Cynthia! Being a member of the BDA/AS, you should (if you haven't yet....) open not one but two of your favorites, and enjoy!! Glad to hear that.

2014-03-11 9:31 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Qua17

This week has been crazy. Here's the good: My hip still hurts but it feels better than it did last Sunday. I'm not sure why - I had the session with the new PT, I took Aleve all weekend, I've been icing like it's my job - I just hope it continues. Here's the bad - my right shoulder still hurts. Unlike my hip - I am the one to blame for my shoulder. I hurt it while scraping ice off the driveway. Duh. I'm gonna try the pool tomorrow and see how it goes. Here's the ugly - some girl at my older son's school decided to call my son a f@ggot. I abhore that word - but it sent him into a tailspin. Luckily he's better - but please pray that the teasing stops.

I ate well this past week but didn't lose any weight on the scale. I have 23 weeks until my IM and I have 40 pounds to lose. To motivate myself - I tried on all the pants I can't fit into (I've got a closet full of them - 17 pairs in total) and arranged them from loosest to tightest (some I couldn't even get on much less buttoned). Every Saturday from now until the race - I'm gonna try on the loosest pair and if it fits, I throw away one pair of my fat boy pants. If they don't fit - I will put them back on the rack and try again the next week. It would be nice to report to my new school with a new wardrobe.

It's my wife's spring break so she headed to VA, so it's just the boys and me this week. What is the ultimate movie to watch with your 12 and 13 year old?

That's a VERY original way to motivate yourself, by clothes sizes to confirm that your body is shrinking. I have kids one year older (13 and 14), and we tend to forget how influenceable we are at those ages by silly comments of our peers, great they have a father with a tri-mind, iron-mind!
2014-03-11 2:20 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
I got outside on the bike today for the first time since early December. It was incredible. Great for the spirit but rough on the legs. The difference between a drainer and a bike on the rode is huge and I got tired quickly. I called it quits after 10 miles and sadly put my bike back on the drainer for another 80 minutes. I was supposed to do 2:30 but I had to quit early because my legs were like jello and I live in fear of doing something stupid. But it was a good start.

I'm gonna need to enjoy something tasty tonight - maybe a nice pilsner or IPA. I've got to swim tomorrow. I hope there's not another bio hazard.
2014-03-11 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
I didn't see a post suggesting a topic of the week. So - I grabbed a topic that Cynthia and Kevin wanted to explore. The power of the foam roller. Cynthia wanted to know - How, when, who should roll and how do I do it? And Kevin's question was - How many times is adequete to roll calfs per day?  How long each time?

2014-03-12 8:12 AM

User image

I didn't see a post suggesting a topic of the week. So - I grabbed a topic that Cynthia and Kevin wanted to explore. The power of the foam roller. Cynthia wanted to know - How, when, who should roll and how do I do it? And Kevin's question was - How many times is adequete to roll calfs per day?  How long each time?

Would it be possible to also go over what rolling is and what the benefits are? I have never heard of such a thing.
2014-03-12 9:50 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by adempsey10

Would it be possible to also go over what rolling is and what the benefits are? I have never heard of such a thing.

I can only speak from personal experience. Right now, I haven't bothered with foam rolling in several months, but my training volume isn't huge right now - higher intensity, but low volume, since most of it is indoors. When I was in my marathon build, I was foam-rolling two or three times per week.

The idea is to loosen up the muscle fibers, since they get a bit knotted and tangled. I don't know the specifics, but I do know that it hurts, in a good way.

I would roll any time I feel noticeable tightness in a muscle group for more than a day afterwards. Going over my legs (calves, hamstrings, ITB, glutes, quads) took about 10 minutes or so. There are lots of youtube videos about it.

I use a $20 foam roller from Wal-mart. Money well spent, for when I need it.

2014-03-12 12:14 PM

User image

Expert

I have a love hate relationship with my foam roller. I love it because it helps me avoid injury. The older I've gotten - the tighter I am and there is nothing more tight than my IT Band, which is I didn't roll, I honestly wouldn't be able to run. Yet, at the same time, I hate it because it hurts like h*ll.

I use it every day for about ten minutes and I spend about 1 minute on each muscle group - ITB, Quad, abductors, calves, lats, glutes, and my lower back. I do it as part of my ITB therapy - but I also do it after runs to aid the recovery process. It has been the best money I ever spent.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multis...
2014-03-12 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
I am thrilled. I know I b!tch and moan all the time - but today I am psyched. I was able to get into the pool and swim 500 for the first time in 2 weeks since I hurt my shoulder shoveling. I was really nervous when I hopped it because my shoulder isn't pain free and I promised myself that I would hop out if I felt any real pain. I went as slow as possible and didn't pull back to hard and was able to get in about a 1/3 of my usual yardage. And to make me even happier - even though I woke up with sore legs, my hip[ didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Boom!

Finally - I have to make a confession - I am drinking Yuengling Light. It's not awful and it's less than 100 calories. Oh, how I have sinned...
2014-03-12 4:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Finally - I have to make a confession - I am drinking Yuengling Light. It's not awful and it's less than 100 calories. Oh, how I have sinned...

Waitress comes over: "What'll it be?"
"What's on tap?"
"Bud, Bud lite, and we have Corona in bottles."
"I'll have a Diet Coke, thanks."
2014-03-12 6:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Waitress comes over: "What'll it be?"
"What's on tap?"
"Bud, Bud lite, and we have Corona in bottles."
"I'll have a Diet Coke, thanks."

Well played, sir.

Edited by adempsey10 2014-03-12 6:22 PM
2014-03-12 6:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
It's been a month since I started running again I'm really happy what the last 30 days has done to my form. Check out my before & afters, I'm running with so much less pain now. Cheers!

Edited by Brian W 2014-03-12 7:00 PM

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (350KB - 2 downloads)

2014-03-12 7:08 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

You look more relaxed in your arms and stride. Your forward lean is good as well. Good work.
2014-03-13 9:00 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Well I made a decision about a bike. Since I am handy and know how to use youtube and like to tinker I am building my own. I simply can't swing to drop 1600+ cash at once on a ride. This way I can piece it together over the next few months and it won't feel so bad. Another plus is I can get exactly what I want on the bike. It may end up costing just a bit more in the end but I figure the experience and knowledge I gain from building it will be priceless. The nice workstand and selection of tools won't be bad either. The cost will be offset by that lack of interest I would pay if I had to shell out it at once and charge it So here's to the next 6 months of gathering parts for my build! As an added bonus getting all these tiny packages in the mail is exciting and satisfies my need to buy tri related things.

Now to decide the age old question...Shimano or SRAM! Since it's a TT setup the double tap single tap difference is not an issue.
2014-03-13 9:46 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Building your own bike sounds like fun. I just bought an old used one that I think is made out of lead to train on I'm hoping training on it will make racing on my good bike feel like cheating.

My week went great for workouts. I have another rx appointment for my stress fracture next week, hoping its good news. On a bad note I have no feeling in my left pinky finger. I hurt my elbow a while back and ignored it. My arm tingled a while like I had hit my funny bone, now feeling is gone. Made an appointment for that also. praying I don't need surgery. I plan to keep swimming and biking unless they forbid it.

beer: I am making a pumpkin recipe of my own its an imperial pumpkin ale, and a imperial IPA. Will be ready in about a month.
2014-03-13 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Burd

Well I made a decision about a bike. Since I am handy and know how to use youtube and like to tinker I am building my own. I simply can't swing to drop 1600+ cash at once on a ride. This way I can piece it together over the next few months and it won't feel so bad. Another plus is I can get exactly what I want on the bike. It may end up costing just a bit more in the end but I figure the experience and knowledge I gain from building it will be priceless. The nice workstand and selection of tools won't be bad either. The cost will be offset by that lack of interest I would pay if I had to shell out it at once and charge it So here's to the next 6 months of gathering parts for my build! As an added bonus getting all these tiny packages in the mail is exciting and satisfies my need to buy tri related things.

Now to decide the age old question...Shimano or SRAM! Since it's a TT setup the double tap single tap difference is not an issue.

Campy!

But seriously: Shimano Ultegra Di2. Three words: Dual Position Shifting. After having it, I don't want to think about not having it.

Run an Ultegra 6800 crankset - since it is Shimano's own BCD, it can fit Shimano's hollow, forged chainrings in either standard, semi-compact, or compact profiles; so one crankset for 56/42, 54/38, or 50/34. It today's market, I simply don't see why anyone would buy anything else (unless you want elliptical rings, but that's another discussion entirely).

11 speed is shiny and new, and that extra gear makes cassette spacing a bit more even, but if you run 10 speed, you'll find cheaper wheels, and11 speed wheels would be backwards compatible (but only running a 10 speed cassette).
2014-03-13 11:44 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
2500 in and done today in the pool. best times to date. main set included 5x100 on :10 rest descending then some sprints then repeat whole set. First 100 was 1:53 and the last was 1:47. Had some 25y sprints in there and smoked a 0:20.8 25, that's a 1:20/100 for those keeping track Lots of kick sets and pain to be had. This SSS workout plan is helping me so much. I have knocked give or take :10 in just over a week by correcting some of my form. I still feel my form slipping sometimes as I fatigue but more practice will do the trick.

2014-03-13 12:48 PM

User image

2500 in and done today in the pool. best times to date. main set included 5x100 on :10 rest descending then some sprints then repeat whole set. First 100 was 1:53 and the last was 1:47. Had some 25y sprints in there and smoked a 0:20.8 25, that's a 1:20/100 for those keeping track Lots of kick sets and pain to be had. This SSS workout plan is helping me so much. I have knocked give or take :10 in just over a week by correcting some of my form. I still feel my form slipping sometimes as I fatigue but more practice will do the trick.

It's amazing how much little improvements in form can have big improvements on time. Form has been the focus of my swim training recently. The feeling of gliding into the end of the lane after that last stroke feeling like a torpedo about to hit the wall and watching that bow wave roll over the edge of the pool is so awesome.
2014-03-13 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

I'm amazed at how far you've come. Just goes to show that it aint easy, but with hard work, look what you've accomplished!
2014-03-14 12:32 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 Open
I've been kicking around the idea of adding HIIT style training to my life. I found a program online that seems to meet my current level of fitness, and challenges me each workout. I am going to attempt a 90 workout ish plan with this style of training. Already, after 3 days, my calf is starting to feel a little better. less pain in the evening, less pain when I wake up. I will look to add back in s/b as I can manage volume (minutes). These workouts involve mostly body weight exercises, so I can complete them at home, then jump on my bike here at the house for a ride as the weather continues to improve. I will IM one day, it just seems it's taking longer than I'd expected. I will also run a 100 miler one day, I just do not know when. Hoping calf will continue to heal as I strengthen with new style of training, so I can slowly incorporate running again.

I have quit rolling calf for at least 6 weeks or 2 mo.'s or so. It just seamed as if it was causing more problems in recovery than it was producing results. I just recently started incorporating stretching it out by hanging foot over stair as I walk up stairs and stretching it out on the stair by hanging my heal below the stair to stretch. I think this and the new training are helping to see the improvement.

I wish none to be injured. It sucks. I know many continue to battle through injury, and that's a fine line between doing too much and continuing so you can progress towards fitness goals. Many have taken time and are just now incorporating running again. I would just warn to take it slooooowwwwww. I've been dealing with this since September of '13. I was going to IM in 2014 when I started this whole journey, now I'll be lucky to see that goal in '15, or '16. My desire for speed over distances caught up to me. I pressed for that 3:30:00 marathon finish over 5 training cycles of 5 mo.'s, and all it got me was 6+ mo's on the shelf. I believe this is how I messed up my calf. Trying to maintain 8:00/mi over 26.2 isn't smart if you don't train right. Train smart.

My goals now will be more to finish, rather than finish super fast. I look forward to being able to run again. soon.
2014-03-14 7:12 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Weekly Goal Sheet 3/9
Happy Friday everyone! It's time to check in on those goals, give a progress report and your plan for making it happen this week. I've got a 40 of Coors Light on top of my fridge to help me get my @ss in gear.

Originally posted by b2b14

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Originally posted by kevinbe

Originally posted by thor67

Thor- 1)lose 2 lbs 2)get a training plan to start for next week 3) 3 runs/3 bikes 4)work to live not live to work.

Originally posted by adempsey10
Originally posted by SportzVision
Originally posted by Qua17 DQ - 1) Lose 2 LBS, 2) Log every meal, 3) average 30 minutes of PT a day, 4) find or order HR strap
Cynthia - 1. Get up and go to 5am Cross fit; How- have everything ready (meals and clothing) the previous night 2. Follow my plan (I missed a long ride this week); How - check my plan the night before on the computer of phone 3. Yoga; How - find a class and go
Alex - 1. Go to both PT appointments 2. Get in 2 swims 3. 2 strength workouts 4. 2 days of elliptical training. 5. Get outta town on vacation Friday and don't lift a finger til I return on Monday
Alan - 1. Finish all scheduled workouts i) 2 swims ii) 3 bikes (2 interval sessions, 1 long easy ride) iii) 3 runs (2 short speed sessions, one long slow) 2. Drop 1lb

kevin-lose 2 lbs., workout 30 min. 5x

Charles:
Nutrition/Diet
First group ride of the season on Saturday (St. Patrick's pre-ride)! SAG support for Sunday's public St. Patrick's ride.

Scott
1. start swim speed workouts, 2. get 2 bike rides in 3. I say this every week but rest my leg
2014-03-14 7:16 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Weekly Goal Sheet 3/9
DQ Plan - 1) Lose 2 LBS, 2) Log every meal, 3) average 30 minutes of PT a day, 4) find or order HR strap
Friday Checkin - I should be good to go on the weight loss, I've logged like a champ (thanks Alex), I'm doing my PT but I need to figure out what do do about a heart rate monitor.

2014-03-14 7:17 AM

User image

Expert

I'm amazed at how far you've come. Just goes to show that it aint easy, but with hard work, look what you've accomplished!

Outstanding work. You've come a long way Nancy Boy!
2014-03-14 7:21 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Brian W

It's been a month since I started running again I'm really happy what the last 30 days has done to my form. Check out my before & afters, I'm running with so much less pain now. Cheers!

Alright Brian - I need you help. How did you pull that chance off? During my run last night - I couldn't get my stride right to save my life. I kept feeling my heel reaching out for the pavement almost like a 15 year old boy at his first dance. Any suggestions?

2014-03-14 7:28 AM

User image

Expert

I wish none to be injured. It sucks. I know many continue to battle through injury, and that's a fine line between doing too much and continuing so you can progress towards fitness goals. Many have taken time and are just now incorporating running again. I would just warn to take it slooooowwwwww. I've been dealing with this since September of '13. I was going to IM in 2014 when I started this whole journey, now I'll be lucky to see that goal in '15, or '16. My desire for speed over distances caught up to me. I pressed for that 3:30:00 marathon finish over 5 training cycles of 5 mo.'s, and all it got me was 6+ mo's on the shelf. I believe this is how I messed up my calf. Trying to maintain 8:00/mi over 26.2 isn't smart if you don't train right. Train smart.

My goals now will be more to finish, rather than finish super fast. I look forward to being able to run again. soon.

The injury bug sucks doesn't it? That may infact be an understanding. Having said that - the upside is that it's forcing us to train smarter rather than harder, which I believe will make crossing the finish like of the IM/100 miler even sweeter. Glad to hear that the calf is feeling better!

So - you're gonna go for the 100 miler someday. That is born again hard core. DH would be proud!
2014-03-14 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

The injury bug sucks doesn't it? That may infact be an understanding. Having said that - the upside is that it's forcing us to train smarter rather than harder, which I believe will make crossing the finish like of the IM/100 miler even sweeter. Glad to hear that the calf is feeling better!

So - you're gonna go for the 100 miler someday. That is born again hard core. DH would be proud!

I'll have to get in touch with my inner DH to pull it off, but yeah, after IM I'm going to start ultra-running seriously. I may do a 50K prior to IM next year if calf things gets fixed. I'd love to do the Badwater one day, but that's just a dream of mine at this point.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.