BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-03-29 12:59 AM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed

Ok Guys.

I'm sitting in my hotel room in Galveston. Transition opens at 5:00...It's 12:45 and I've been trying to go to sleep for almost 3 hours. I finally just got out of the bed. I'm eating homemade oatmeal cookies... Maybe that will help.

It has  been fun so far.  We got here at 3:30 and checked into the hotel. It was 74 and cloudy.  We rushed around so that I could go get into the water. I put my wetsuit  on in the hotel room. We are less than a mile from the swim finish, so I was able to swim for about 20 minutes. I love my wetsuit!  It's still hard to get my breath at first but I finally got into a groove.

We went to a carbo dinner benefit for Athlete's for a Cure. It is a charity that focuses on prostate cancer. My ex husband and father of my  son is in his third set of treatment for prostate cancer in 4 years. It is an important charity for us.  Simon Lessing was the speaker and he had some good things to say.  They had some awesome door prizes It was like a white elephant party and those whose numbers were drawn after someone else had chosen could take the prize they wanted. They were definitely not white elephant things.  I got called.. there was a full carbon front end (bars, brakes, everything but the fork) and I took that away from one guy but the next person took that from me and I got to choose some very nice sunglasses.  They had another drawing for the grand prize. It was a Javelin bike frame and Bryce's ticket got called. It is a titanium and carbon multisport frame! what a night!

I'm heading back to try to sleep.  I'll let you guys know how today goes!

Les 

2008-03-29 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1301159

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Les-- Pre race jitters and non sleep are probably very common. You ROCK! I KNOW you kicked today and I can't wait to hear a full report. Great to work so hard for a cause you believe in, too. Great job and very cool about winning the prize. I'm sure it's a good luck omen.
2008-03-29 11:28 AM
in reply to: #1301389

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT

Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend, I know you'll have a great experience and kick some *ss!!!  Look forward to hearing how it went.

Jay

2008-03-30 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
I SURVIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My first indoor tri under my belt. I didn't do too bad, not quite up to my goals but that is why they are goals, right?

I have no idea how many lengths I swam in 10 minutes-they had counters and our results won't be posted for 48 hours. I did 10.5 miles in 30minutes on the bike at their pre-set resistance (not too shabby). I only did 1.75 miles in 20 minutes for the run-I was hoping for 2 miles. I'm happy its overwith. I'm a little whipped, some wine this evening should cure that.

I hope everyone that was doing a tri had a lot of fun! I know I did. I'm just glad its over, my nerves were starting to get the best of me. I give my family credit for putting up with me yesterday, it was all I could do to stay calm. YEAH!!! Its done!! Next one, June 22-outdoors!!!
2008-03-30 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1302707

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

WTG JOGO!!!!!

Alright Les...lets here it!!!!

2008-03-30 7:02 PM
in reply to: #1302707

User image

Master
Vista, CA
CONGRATS!!! Nice going. You'll be all warmed up for the next one. Now you can reeelaxx for a day or two..

2008-03-30 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Congrats! I have never heard of an indoor tri. I like the idea for a first tri since no one finishes last per se. Les... I can't wait to hear... update please!

I am starting to get jitters yet my first tri isn't until April 20th. Sometimes after I bike 12 miles I think... oh my I would have done this after a swim and still have to run.

Hope everyone is doing well... my hip is feeling a tad better...I think my bike is what caused it :-(.

Elizabeth
2008-03-30 10:14 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Hi Kids!

I'm finally home.  We stayed in Galveston Saturday night as well and went to watch the Olympic and the Half this morning, as well as to see Moody Gardens (a very nice place with an aquarium and rain forest pyramid as well as an IMAX). It was a nice mini vacation.

Overall, the experience was fantastic! The race was well organized and at a perfect place.

I raced in the first timer's wave because I wanted to have to extra swim support so that is my group instead of my age group.  I would have been 18 out of 23 in my age group.  There were only 23 women in 45-49.

I was 32 out of 102 in my group and finished 107 out of 197 first timers (men and women, all ages). Pretty cool!

I choked on the swim, did great on the bike, and did not walk a single step on the run.

I've got to do OWS at least every other week.  It is so different than the pool for me that I absolutely choked.  It was a breathing issue.  I've got to get some professional help. I just want to be able to swim like I can in the pool in the OW.

I'm a little stiff but not too sore and I can't wait until my next one! I'll post pictures in my album and make my race report more complete later.

Les

2008-03-30 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran

Congrats to both of you that competed this weekend!!!!

Les, you are not very encouraging if you can swim that well in the pool and have trouble in OW...what does that mean for someone like me?????

2008-03-31 7:39 AM
in reply to: #1303778

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT

A huge "congrats" to both of you, that's a great accomplishment.  And way to tackle a tri so early in the year too, you are well on your way to a great summer!!

Jay

2008-03-31 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1303778

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Hey Alan,

I think this a me issue and is completely in my head.  I had the same problem last year and I did fine when I went for a practice swim on Friday on the course I did in the race.  I would recommend practicing at least once in OW before your first OW tri swim.  You will do fine.  I just need to get my brain working right.

2008-03-31 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1304507

User image

Veteran

Did the wetsuit help much?  I was thinking you said you didn't wear one last year??  Fortunately I live on a lake so I should get plenty of OW swimming (should the ice ever melt.)    Back on the treadmill again today....another 8 inches of snow!!

2008-03-31 10:34 AM
in reply to: #1304571

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
WTG LES!!!! Don't worry about the ows, it'll come to ya!!!
2008-03-31 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
WTG LES!!!! Don't worry about the ows, it'll come to ya!!!
2008-03-31 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
The wet suit was awesome. I felt like I could float on my back like an otter for days.  It made things different though and when I tried breast stroke it felt strange. I'd only practiced in the pool with it one time and I'm sure the flotation was different in the salt water too.  I was glad to have it!
2008-03-31 3:18 PM
in reply to: #1305229

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Speaking of wesuits...I've never worn one, but bought one and plan to wear it in my first race. What do all of you think about wearing it in the pool to try it out? Will the chlorine hurt it too badly, just once? It's still really cold in the ocean and I"m not so sure I want to test it there. My first tri and swim is in a lake, but not near enough to try it there.

Oh, Les, how was getting the wetsuit off coming out of the water?

2008-03-31 3:36 PM

User image

Congrats to everyone on their first races!!!  You guys are awesome!

OWS is another animal.  Its very different than swimming in a pool.  I am prone to panic attacks in the water, and I know that many other people are very uneasy during the swim.  If you have never done an OWS, I would HIGHLY recommend it before your first race.  And nothing new on race day, so if you plan to wear a wetsuit, wear it before you race.  Even if that means you wear it to the pool.  Yeah, everyone will look at you like you are nuts, but who cares?  Its important that you know what they feel like, because they are VERY tight.  I think that was part of my problem with the panic attacks.  Wetsuits are really tight around the neck and I think that freaks me out a little.

But still, if you can wear a wetsuit, do it.

2008-03-31 5:42 PM
in reply to: #1305645

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Getting the wetsuit off was great! They had strippers (wetsuit strippers!) All I had to do was pull the suit down below my butt and sit down. The strippers pulled it off and handed it to me.  Getting them off is not the problem! It is putting it on. Be SURE to get some GLIDE or some other slippery wetsuit lube.  It is super important to have really short nails and to use the pads of your fingers to pull it up.  I rinsed mine out really well after I wore it in the pool and there is some wet suit soap that some people recommend. 

Robyn....yep...it was a panic attack. I was fine, the suit had been fine the day before in the same conditions, I was in the first timers wave,  I had a great spot to start from with lots of room, and I would have been out front and doing fine if it weren't for the dang panic.  What do you do?

Les 

2008-03-31 6:18 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Congrats to everyone on the first races! You guys inspire me.
2008-03-31 9:27 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
TOTAL SADNESS!!

Yesterday, I was pretty high that I survived that indoor tri and today reality set in. The results were posted and I finished 88 out of 100 and lowest in my tri team. I've tried rationalizing and saying it was my first tri and I'll do better, but the sadness is still there.

I thought I did much better but there was no way of knowing because it was all based on distance accomplished. Many tears.

I think I have eaten my body weight in comfort food today. My emotions are just on a rollercoaster. I was doing good with my weight and my nutrition until the results came up.

How does everyone else deal with disappointment? Has anyone ever had what they thought was a good race only to have their satisfaction kicked to the curb when they saw their standings?
2008-03-31 9:30 PM
in reply to: #1306737

User image

Veteran

Wow...I thought I was hard on myself!!!  The idea is just to survive the first (and try not to get last) and you managed to do both.  Total success in my book!!! 

2008-03-31 9:46 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
"The idea is just to survive the first (and try not to get last) and you managed to do both."

That is what I told myself going into this. yesterday,I was glad I survived. Today it hit me because I thought I had done more than survived. It is all scored on a point system and where you fell compared to everyone in the events, so 100 people times 3 events for a total of 300 points. There is no way of even calling it a personal best because there are no times. I am just severely disappointed. Its not like a "real" tri where you are accomplishing/surviving the distance.

Edited by jogo 2008-03-31 9:48 PM
2008-03-31 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
You did it and you didn't even come in last. I have to ask... what would you say to the person who came in last?

Tomorrow is a new day...give yourself a hug and move on... you did it... that is more than many can say.

Elizabeth
2008-03-31 10:54 PM
in reply to: #1306779

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

So sorry you are disappointed in your performance. I was complaining about my swim but you know what? For me, this sport is about having a goal to work towards (so that I get off my butt and do SOMETHING) and that goal is to train so that I can improve my time. The Danskin last year was my benchmark. I had trained but really didn't have any idea what I really needed to do. I mostly swam last year and ran only 2 times in the month before the race because of shin splints. I am competitive, and perfectionistic but I worked really hard at accepting my performance for what it really was; doing my best on that day, realizing I was doing a triathlon (how cool is that?) and having fun.

I figured that after Danskin if I had fun and felt good about just finishing( hard for me to work at accepting that) that triathlon would be a positive influence in my life. I knew if I let my competitive perfectionism poison my views that it would not be a good thing for me to do.

I had a goal for this year too. That was to improve my time in all three events, even if it was just a bit. I have trained pretty consistently since January 5 days a week. If I looked at just my age group of 23 women (45-49) I was 18th. I'm OK with that. The best part is that my swim time, even though I wasn't happy with it went from 3.57 per 100 to 3.08 per 100 this weekend. Almost 1 minute faster! T1 last year:7.41 this year: 3.52. Bike 14.33 mph last year, 15.8 mph this year. T2 last year 6.18, this year 1.36. Run last year 12.46, this year 11.23. I had some huge gains like almost 5 minutes off of T2!

I'm so happy with the improvements I made in this short time. I've got 2 months until the Danskin and I know I can improve my bike and run times. I have a new swim goal...no panic attacks!

Be kind to yourself Jo. Just look at your times in training. What is your 100 time in the swim? Your mph on the bike and run? If it was not what you wanted to do and you feel there is a lot of room for improvement you have a great opportunity to do something great for yourself and chip away at that benchmark one race and one training session at a time.

Sorry to ramble...I just recognized some of my stinking thinking in what you said and wanted to share some ways that I've learned to be nicer to me.

Les

Edited by denny.l 2008-03-31 10:57 PM
2008-04-01 5:42 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Thank you so much. You guys are great!

I had my "Debbie Downer" day yesterday. Today I am going to try to look at this in a different light. I am trying to wrap my mind around that as being a "training" tri, especially seeing it wasn't for any specific distances.

From today on starts my "new" training plan that will lead me up to my first sprint tri in June. I am so glad that I have the support of this forum.

Les, Congratulations on improving your times, 5 minutes off in one area is awesome!!! You rock!!! Thanks for understanding how our thoughts and the mentality of all this impact our training. I appreciate your rambling.

jo

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52