Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2009-04-10 1:07 PM
in reply to: #1856890

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: Gordo Byrn's Group - FULL
Ran 4.25 miles.  42 min.  Brrrr....strong winds today.

2009-04-11 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
40 min run, 40 min bike.

2009-04-13 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
4.11 mile run, 38:50.

2009-04-13 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
Hey!  Are we done here???
2009-04-13 4:41 PM

Illinois
I am still checkin' for posts. 

BB
2009-04-13 7:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey all. Due to lack of posts I'm not sure if anybody is still here or not. Anyway, thought I'd post a recap.

I hope most of you were successful in your training. I, unfortunately, was not. And it's my own d**n fault.

Simply because most of the time my brain shut off and I went too hard. I started training in August. Habitually I'd do OK in a controlled environment. Then I'd get outside and HAMMER TIME. Gordo said not to do it, I knew better, yet I did it anyway. He stated many times to take it easy. Maybe I thought I was special, or better, or rules didn't apply. Yeah right, the laws governing elite athletes don't apply to this overweight 42 year old man.

By March my mind and body were both seriously burnt. That was after a January\February where I was sick more than I was healthy. Everything hurt, it became tedious, painful, and something I started to dread. I wound up taking much of March off, and skipped my first race.

Took some time, healed up, read Going Long again (and really paid attention this time) and went back to the beginning of this thread.  I will do this, but INTELLIGENTLY this time.

For all of you reading that are about to join Gordo's next group. LISTEN. He knows what he's talking about. His was might seem slower to show results, but the goal that I missed is to acheive consistent, long term improvements.

Gordo - I'm a slow learner but I'm not stupid. I hit my thumb with the hammer, but I'm being more careful this time.

And it's even fun again! I wish everybody the best in whatever you might do. Keep in touch! Tongue out

Edited by gtkelly 2009-04-13 7:08 PM

2009-04-14 2:50 AM
in reply to: #2082020

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Well if this is the end then so be it. Myself I am keen to keep posting and keeping the group support going, it has helped me loads.

Gordo, are you ok to keep this group going or do you see your work done here and a new group to be started and supported ?
If you are all done I want to thank you for the support and advice and to let you know that you have certainly made a big difference to my training system and ideas.

So G team what do you all want to do? I would like to keep going and am happy to start another group, if G needs to move on, if everyone is interested.

Dave
2009-04-14 5:33 AM

User image

Veteran
I think we have a pretty good group of people. I'd like to see the group stay together. If nothing else it would be interesting to see where we are in a year...
2009-04-14 8:15 AM

Illinois
I'm in.  My training has been consistent again over the last month.  I have my first race of this season 2 months from today.  Unfortunately, I was unable to be very active in our group, but I have much less outside stress right now.  I would love to keep this forum open and ask questions of you guys when I need answers.  Also, with my race season starting here soon, I can use all the support I can get.

Brian
2009-04-14 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran

Nice 25 minute swim at lunchtime. 1050 meters...

Strange but the last couple of times after I swim I get a bout of sneezing that lasts about 2 hours. I think the chlorine is affecting my sinuses. Never heard of that before.

2009-04-14 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2082020

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
gtkelly - 2009-04-13 6:07 PM Hey all. Due to lack of posts I'm not sure if anybody is still here or not. 
And it's even fun again! I wish everybody the best in whatever you might do. Keep in touch! Tongue out

I'll drop by to check in.

I share your experience -- I'm still figuring out items that were taught to me 10, even 20, years ago.

2009-04-14 8:51 PM
in reply to: #2082546

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Pashda - 2009-04-14 1:50 AM Well if this is the end then so be it. Myself I am keen to keep posting and keeping the group support going, it has helped me loads.

Gordo, are you ok to keep this group going or do you see your work done here and a new group to be started and supported ?
If you are all done I want to thank you for the support and advice and to let you know that you have certainly made a big difference to my training system and ideas.

So G team what do you all want to do? I would like to keep going and am happy to start another group, if G needs to move on, if everyone is interested.

Dave

Dave,

Great that the group was helpful to you.  I enjoyed it and learned a lot.

2009-04-14 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2083610

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
gtkelly - 2009-04-14 11:16 AM

Nice 25 minute swim at lunchtime. 1050 meters...

Strange but the last couple of times after I swim I get a bout of sneezing that lasts about 2 hours. I think the chlorine is affecting my sinuses. Never heard of that before.

Try a nose plug as that can help reduce sinus issues. You don't look that slick but I has really helped a few of my athletes.

2009-04-15 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2084942

User image

Veteran
GordoByrn - 2009-04-14 9:52 PM
gtkelly - 2009-04-14 11:16 AM

Try a nose plug as that can help reduce sinus issues. You don't look that slick but I has really helped a few of my athletes.

Somehow when I think of myself still being overweight in lycra jammers the nose plug is not my biggest issue!

2009-04-16 2:55 AM
in reply to: #2086802

User image

Regular
Essex, England
"Somehow when I think of myself still being overweight in lycra jammers the nose plug is not my biggest issue!"

You obviously dont have a nose the size I do!!!

2009-04-16 8:15 AM

Illinois
Hey guys,
Got the very rare mid day training session in yesterday.  What a luxury to not have to train at 5a or 9p.  Felt great.  I am 2 months out from my first race which is a sprint.  I feel very comfortable about that race.  For you guys who have already started your season, any other suggestions with 2 months to go?  Just stick to the plan?  I was going to ride the course for my next 2 races and practice transitions sinec it has been a while.  Definitely need to work harder in the pool.

BB

2009-04-16 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2088334

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Hi Brian

I say stick with your programme, it is easy to get carried away and try to push a bit harder as race aproaches. That tends to lead to injury or illness. I am guilty of doing it and getting a cold the week before my race on Sunday. Taper goes to pot then.
Riding the course is a great idea and practice transitions and your race day set up. I try to throw in a couple of bike-T2-run bricks as well in the month before the race to get my legs used to running off the bike.

Pool work is always top of my list but sometimes I need to remember to keep doing the drills or my technique goes. Then I end up working harder to get the same speed. 
2009-04-16 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran

Hey all, nice 48 min trainer ride this morning. I'll be glad when sunrise is a bit earlier and I can get out on the road.

I'd second Pashda's advice above. Stick with the plan.

2009-04-16 6:14 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Hey guys!!!  I thought our mentoring group was done.  I see that you folks are still posting and Gordo is still answering questions.  Cool. 
2009-04-16 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2090016

User image

Veteran
junthank - 2009-04-16 7:14 PM Hey guys!!!  I thought our mentoring group was done.  I see that you folks are still posting and Gordo is still answering questions.  Cool. 

Yep - no give up in this group...

Long swim of the week this afternoon. 40:39 straight, . 1650 yds. Nice and easy.

Nose plug was great. Zero sinus issues...
2009-04-17 7:09 AM

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Finally shaking off my cold which has ruined my taper week. Race day Sunday and the weather looks perfect so hoping for a fun time.
1st sprint of the year for me of 400m/25km/8km so slightly longer than the usual sprints especially the run but I feel ready. Apparently the bike route is superb with a few tasty hills so will be hoping to break 60km/h down the biggest one.
I will let you all know how it went

2009-04-17 8:56 AM

Illinois
Dave,
Good luck this weekend.
2009-04-17 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Dave - sounds like a fun time. I'm sure you'll do well!

Greg
2009-04-19 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2090804

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Pashda - 2009-04-17 6:09 AM Finally shaking off my cold which has ruined my taper week. Race day Sunday and the weather looks perfect so hoping for a fun time.
1st sprint of the year for me of 400m/25km/8km so slightly longer than the usual sprints especially the run but I feel ready. Apparently the bike route is superb with a few tasty hills so will be hoping to break 60km/h down the biggest one.
I will let you all know how it went

Dave,

Have fun and let us know how it went for you.

2009-04-19 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Teammates and G,

I posted this on my BT Blog and thought I would put it here as well.  Thanks for being inspirational teamie's.

G - special thanks for laying the foundation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

This week I started getting a daily reminder when I log on to BT that my six month membership is expiring in a few days.  Interesting enough, Gordo wrote in his blog this week… “For what it's worth, six months is the MINIMUM time horizon that I believe makes sense to track change that has the potential to make a positive impact on your life”.  Why the “six month” timeframe came up twice this week is beyond me.   However, I thought it would be a convenient time to review my progress over the course of the last six months.

Before I get into the training review I do have one caveat.  I thought a long time about posting this on BT for fear that it would appear to fellow BT’ers who might read this that I was this egotistical novice looking for an opportunity to “toot my horn” about my meager accomplishments.  Believe me, I realize I’m by no means “fast”, I don’t have the ability to “go long” by most BT’ers standard, nor do I have the illusion I’ll be racing in Kona or standing on the podium for my age group in a local race.  However, a valuable lesson I learned from Gordo was… “If you remain consistent and positive you will improve relative to yourself - there’s value in seeing the return from our own efforts.  So it’s best to evaluate how you do relative to yourself”.  In that vain, here is my six month “biased” evaluation.

Swim – Swimming was and continues to be my biggest limiter.  The 1st time I got in the pool was 11/2/2008.  I went 365 meters in 25 minutes.  I did the 1st 40 meters and then searched for something to grab.  Much of that swim was done on my side and the math tells me that I was moving along at just under a 7 minutes/100 meters clip.  The first sentence in my BT blog that day was “I really suck at swimming”.  That was an understatement. 

During the first three months of training I dreaded going to the pool and even contemplated giving up triathlons and focusing on duathlons.  However, I stuck with it, envied what my fellow mentee’s were doing in the pool and tried to apply Gordo’s advice. 

I made steady progress and was able to finish the swim portion of my first sprint TRI in just under nine minutes.  Although there was definite improvement in my pace I still did not feel comfortable in the water as my 158 swim HR that race day would indicate.  Finally, in late March after countless laps I was able to successfully swim bilaterally and relax in the pool.  Recently, I was able to complete a 1600 meter consecutive swim and have almost been able to master the 4x200 descending drill.  My split times on Friday for the descending drill were:  1st 200 – 4:11, 2nd 200 – 3:58, 3rd 200 – 3:38, 4th 200 – 3:38

I often get frustrated in the pool because I’ll take a step forward only to find that I take a step back the next week.  Certainly I have flaws with my balance and stroke in the water.  I still have a long way to go in the water, but I have come a long way in 6 months and I must constantly remind myself going forward that I have already surpassed my initial goals.

Bike – Biking is the hardest discipline for me to do an evaluation on but it is the discipline I enjoy the most.  Unlike swimming, I look forward to my biking workouts.  Five months prior to joining BT in late October 2008 I was routinely going on 16-20 mile rides.  Although the improvements in the bike are modest in comparison to swimming and running there are indeed improvements.  Unlike swimming and running where I have quantifiable differences of the same workout I have not done any TT testing on the bike.  Even if I did it would still be a little tough to compare the results because of varying conditions (weather, equipment). 

Probably the biggest area of improvement has been biking skills.  Six months ago I just “rode” my bike.  Today, in addition to building endurance, my biking workouts now have a purpose.  Developing multiple cadences, standup hill climb for muscular endurance and position variations are all things that I’m working on.  As I progress I think the skills I develop will result in greater endurance and faster pacing.

With regard to “before and after results”, I can say that earlier today I was able to go 46 ½ mile at a pretty good pace (for me!!) without trashing myself.  If I had to replicate that ride tomorrow I could.  Six months ago I probably could have completed the 46 ½ miles at a slower pace but there is no way that I could back that up by going 46 ½ miles the next day.

Run – In November of 2008 I couldn’t run ½ mile at a snails pace without going anaerobic and having to walk.  In fact, the first outdoor run I posted was 2 miles in distance and it took me 35 minutes to complete.  I was constantly in pain while running with cramping/pulled calf muscles and sore knees.  Not a pretty site.  Six months later and I can easily do a 10K pain free.

I’m extremely cautious while running, particularly with regard to my run pace.  I avoid ever going into my Threshold or the top end of my Mod-Hard zones while running for fear of injury.  Although run pace is not an important factor in my training at this point in time, I was able to complete the run portion of my 1st Sprint Tri right at the 9 minute/mile pace.  Not fast by most standards, but faster than my first run.

Probably the greatest single epiphany I discovered during all of my training has been the run/walk protocol.  I employ this every run irrespective of the distance being traveled.  It will pay off in spades as I go longer. 

Body Composition – This is an easy comparison to make. I was 230lbs on November 1, 2008.  The last time I got on the scale I was 202.  I rarely get on the scale (another piece of sound advice I got from the mentoring group).  My relative weight is not important – it’s a number.  What is important is the fact that my fitness levels are increasing, my clothing is getting looser, and I can see the transformation of my body in the mirror.   

Mental Outlook – The physical benefits of the change in my habits over the course of the last six months are important.  Perhaps the enhanced mental state that I’m enjoying is more important.  Having turned 50 last year I think I have discovered my mid-life crisis.  It’s not a fast car, it’s not a person of the opposite sex or a beach house; it’s TRI’ing.  I’m having a blast.

Edited by junthank 2009-04-19 2:19 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gordo Byrn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 51