Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-04-03 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Veteran
DC
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
Stu - nice to hear that your daughter got into one of her top 2 choices.  Have fun on the road trip, and good luck cramming for your HIM.   You can do it!

Heidi- I tried aqua jogging once and lasted all of ninety seconds.  Good idea vis a vis the waterproof mp3 player...it'll keep you otherwise entertained and will prevent you from checking the clock every 30 seconds.  At any rate, glad to hear you are back in the pool.

Brian- I'm no expert, but I think you could do an Oly tomorrow.  You've got several months of very consistent training under your belt. 

I'm out the door to test out my new bike computer....no more timing my pedal strokes for 30 seconds to figure out my cadence.

Enjoy the weekend...
Mike

2010-04-03 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
1.26 in the 10 miler... way better than I expected or even hoped.  10+ minutes faster than 3 years ago.  8.31 pace (10.12 miles according to the Garmin).  Definitely a huge confidence boost on the impact of all the winter training and adding things like the intervals and recovery runs.  Didn't die on the more difficult 2nd half of the course like years past.  So that's one of my long term goals accomplished!

Brian, I definitely think you should feel confident about the OLY.  Today's run was a real confirmation about the improvement in our conditioning.  My pace was better than the 10Ks I did last Fall on easier courses about the same time I did the OLY... so you should be sweet for the Olympic length now and by June... even better.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the suggestions and encouragement along the way!

(btw, helmet is now at the top of the list!  Thanks for the thoughts and advice on that too)

Stu
2010-04-03 2:52 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Sorry I haven't been around the past day or so -- lots of Easter-related things to do.  Let's see, I'll take them one by one...
2010-04-03 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2765127

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
juneapple - 2010-04-02 11:57 AM

Kind of odd that now at most of the schools seniors find out acceptance via website... so yesterday she found out 5 schools within 10 minutes of each other... an intense evening of roller coaster highs and lows.  Maybe the biggest day in her life... and it showed... you could see months of stress released in her face and tears when it was all over.  She put so much into this... I was really proud of the way she committed herself to the whole process.  Inspiring :-)

So 3 weeks of hard build (avoiding injury) and then taper is the idea if I decide to go for it, eh Michael?  Guess mine will begin when we get back from NE.  (my tentative HIM is a week after yours).

Congrats to your daughter, and yes, 3 weeks of hard stuff (hard 70 mile ride today to kick it all off), then a week taper.

Get those long rides in and you can do it.

Edited by Experior 2010-04-03 2:56 PM
2010-04-03 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2765875

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2010-04-02 7:58 PM Michael or anyone else for that matter....I suspect I'll have to alter my plans for my second race of the year.  My dilemma is that my son's baseball games are on Saturdays and I need to be present for them.  In June is Blue Lake Tri which is a pretty popular race.  The Sprint Distance is on a Sat. and Olympic Distance on Sunday.  The other issue is that the Northwest Tri Club Championship is also on Sunday as part of the Olympic Distances races and it would be nice to race with other club members as part of the race.  My question is, in your opinion am I on target with my training to do this distance?  I think I am as I am following an Olympic Distance plan right now, but would like your thoughts as well.

My training plan is on BT and up to date.

Brian

Absolutely you can do an Oly in June.  If you plan is not already set up to finish for that race, then I'd readjust it so that it is, and then follow it.  But your volume and consistency right now is definitely enough to get you through the Oly, and indeed I'd say that if you keep building, you'll do a lot better than just get through it.  Other than that, I'd say just remember that the swim is a much larger percentage of an Oly race than any other.  If you have a chance to get out and do some longer open water swims prior to the race, I think that would be a great idea.  Not essential, but helpful.  In any case, make sure that you do at least a couple of straight 1500m swims.  Even though technically they are not necessary, I think that for those of us who were not born fish, they provide a great confidence-booster.
2010-04-03 3:03 PM
in reply to: #2765971

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slow turtle - 2010-04-02 9:33 PM Pool running: I'm not sure that I was doing it completely right. I checked out some youtube videos to get the general idea, but it felt pretty awkward.

Michael, you're right-it's incredibly boring. I'm looking around to see if any one makes a cheap waterproof mp-3 player.
I managed to do 15 minutes today, and followed it up with 15 minutes of lap swim. I was surprised that I felt like I was getting an arm workout during the running session.

My foot feels sore tonight, the nerve issue is a little more intense than usual. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. I'm hoping I can hit the pool 3 or 4 times a week for the running. It seemed like a good workout, even if my technique wasn't awesome.

I'm glad you were able to get something in.  Do be mindful that your body is now trying to do TWO things -- heal the foot and recover from exercise.  Give it the rest and healthy food that it needs!

And yes, I predict you'll feel more comfortable pool running after you do it a few times.  The boredom, however, will not go away...

2010-04-03 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2766389

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
juneapple - 2010-04-03 12:03 PM 1.26 in the 10 miler... way better than I expected or even hoped.  10+ minutes faster than 3 years ago.  8.31 pace (10.12 miles according to the Garmin).  Definitely a huge confidence boost on the impact of all the winter training and adding things like the intervals and recovery runs.  Didn't die on the more difficult 2nd half of the course like years past.  So that's one of my long term goals accomplished!

Brian, I definitely think you should feel confident about the OLY.  Today's run was a real confirmation about the improvement in our conditioning.  My pace was better than the 10Ks I did last Fall on easier courses about the same time I did the OLY... so you should be sweet for the Olympic length now and by June... even better.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the suggestions and encouragement along the way!

(btw, helmet is now at the top of the list!  Thanks for the thoughts and advice on that too)

Stu

Woohoo!  That's a great result Stu.  Congratulations!
2010-04-03 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Neat to see everyone beginning to gear up for races. Been on track and treadmill last two weeks to see if the knee would settle down. I took it out doors to the park I usually run at to test the knee. I ran 11.1 with NO KNEE PAIN! Half marathon next Sunday. Next week I will scale back my miles and get some extra bike time.

I really felt good after the long run today. First time I used GU Chomps. I really think they helped. My legs did not feel rubbery after the run. In the past after my long runs I felt like I needed a nap. Today I felt great. I really think it was the nutrition during the run that made the difference. I wish I would have figure this out before. I always felt like crap afer long runs and because the that dreaded them.

7 Days to my first Half Marathon.

Phil
2010-04-03 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2766605

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-04-03 4:08 PM Neat to see everyone beginning to gear up for races. Been on track and treadmill last two weeks to see if the knee would settle down. I took it out doors to the park I usually run at to test the knee. I ran 11.1 with NO KNEE PAIN! Half marathon next Sunday. Next week I will scale back my miles and get some extra bike time.

I really felt good after the long run today. First time I used GU Chomps. I really think they helped. My legs did not feel rubbery after the run. In the past after my long runs I felt like I needed a nap. Today I felt great. I really think it was the nutrition during the run that made the difference. I wish I would have figure this out before. I always felt like crap afer long runs and because the that dreaded them.

Phil

Fantastic!  Sounds like you are definitely ready for the race.  I'm excited for you!

Yes, nutrition during longer workouts is important.  It helps get you through, but it also helps with quicker recovery.  You were feeling bad after long workouts because you were in the early stages of bonking.  Thankfully you didn't get all the way there.  It has happened to me twice and it is not pretty. 

People are different, but I like to take some nutrition in for workouts that will last 90 minutes or more.

One thing that people sometimes screw up here is this:  they figure that they can go 90 minutes (or whatever) with no nutrition, and so on a 2.5 hour ride (or whatever) they wait until 90 minutes in to start taking nutrition.  Don't do this!  If you are going to take in nutrition, do it on a regular schedule, and start from the beginning.  If anything, you back off towards the end, not at the beginning.

Everybody has to work out his or her own nutritional schedule, but as an example, here is what I do for long rides (3+ hours).  On the :15 and :45 I take a swig of extra strong sports drink, and chase it with water.  On the :30 and :60 I eat either a gel or half a Cliff bar (chocolate almond -- yum!).  If I'm going to run afterward, my last bite of Cliff bar will be taken no less than 90 minutes before the end of the ride.  I drink to thirst.
2010-04-03 11:13 PM
in reply to: #2766707

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Experior - 2010-04-03 4:29 PM
StlPhil - 2010-04-03 4:08 PM Neat to see everyone beginning to gear up for races. Been on track and treadmill last two weeks to see if the knee would settle down. I took it out doors to the park I usually run at to test the knee. I ran 11.1 with NO KNEE PAIN! Half marathon next Sunday. Next week I will scale back my miles and get some extra bike time.

Phil

Fantastic!  Sounds like you are definitely ready for the race.  I'm excited for you!

Yes, nutrition during longer workouts is important.  It helps get you through, but it also helps with quicker recovery.  You were feeling bad after long workouts because you were in the early stages of bonking.  Thankfully you didn't get all the way there.  It has happened to me twice and it is not pretty. 

People are different, but I like to take some nutrition in for workouts that will last 90 minutes or more.

One thing that people sometimes screw up here is this:  they figure that they can go 90 minutes (or whatever) with no nutrition, and so on a 2.5 hour ride (or whatever) they wait until 90 minutes in to start taking nutrition.  Don't do this!  If you are going to take in nutrition, do it on a regular schedule, and start from the beginning.  If anything, you back off towards the end, not at the beginning.

Everybody has to work out his or her own nutritional schedule, but as an example, here is what I do for long rides (3+ hours).  On the :15 and :45 I take a swig of extra strong sports drink, and chase it with water.  On the :30 and :60 I eat either a gel or half a Cliff bar (chocolate almond -- yum!).  If I'm going to run afterward, my last bite of Cliff bar will be taken no less than 90 minutes before the end of the ride.  I drink to thirst.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of "bonking." I've done some more reading and nutrition is certainly the problem. I started taking the GU's  a half hour into the run. I still can't believe how much better I feel. I have not ben tired all day and the usual post run soreness in my legs is absent. I wonder how these times of "bonking" have effected my overall training over the last six months. It usually takes a couple of days to start feeling good again. I'm amazed by how much I have learned about training and yet amazed by how much more there is still to learn.

Phil
2010-04-04 7:47 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Happy Easter Everyone!

2010-04-04 10:50 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Happy Easter to you as well Michael.

I had a tough run this evening.  It was windy, my legs felt heavy; the heavy meal in the afternoon didn't help any as well.  I did a 30 min run off the bike yesterday so that might be contributing to the tiredness.  Pushed through it and took it as an opportunity to pace a little slower and not go so hard.  Couldn't swim as the club was closed today.  I'll go in tomorrow and swim.  Might feel good and maybe head to the hot tub after.  

Onward and upward with the training this week.

Need to get my weight down to 190 so I'll be working on this for April Monthly goal; if we are still going at it.  Would also like to get Core going again, not as much, but at least two Core Groups twice a week. 

Edited by TriGuyBri 2010-04-04 10:50 PM
2010-04-04 10:54 PM
in reply to: #2767171

User image

Expert
Salem
Phil...I always carry a Gu with me on my runs just in case I feel I might need it.  I generally don't, but for the long runs (over an hour) I just plan it in and use one Gu at about 25 - 30 minutes in.  I may go to a Gu Flask real soon and buy it by the bottle.  On a bike ride I always take one and follow with water.  I generally use 1-2 flavors (Tri Berry and Chocolate Rage).  Once in a while I'll grap a new flavor and tri it out.

Edited by TriGuyBri 2010-04-04 10:55 PM
2010-04-05 12:04 AM
in reply to: #2766258

User image

Regular
Subject: I've been swimming...
Sorry that I've been incommunicado this past week, but I've been swimming (see picture below - and note the pool toy floating next to the BowFlex Smile).  After the tremendous rains last week (7 inches in 24 hours), our basement really flooded for the first time ever.  I've been pumping water for 5 days now and it is still coming in from underground (though it is much slower now).   The one bright spot is that a week of cleanup has done something that a whole month of training couldn't do: I've dropped another pound!  Now all I need to do is to figure out how to enter my bailing time in my training log as crosstraining...

(basement4.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
basement4.JPG (91KB - 28 downloads)
2010-04-05 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
DC
Mule...that stinks.  A flooded basement is truly one of life's most annoying PITA.

Great to see the discussion on nutrition during longer runs.  I have never really used gels but have been thinking about giving them a try...I'll definitely start to experiment this weekend on my 11 miler. I did 9.5 miles yesterday without anything (not even water) but am not too sore (although I was super tired last night).  It'll be interesting to see how I feel during and after when taking regular fluids and some nutrition.

In an unrelated topic, I got my computer on my bike hooked up and running over the weekend and was dismayed to see how slowly I'd been riding.  I'd thought for sure I was riding in the low 20s, but it turns out I was riding closer to 17-18 mph.  I think I need to cut out beers and lose the beer belly...it must be causing some serious wind drag. 

Hope everyone has a great start to the week. 

2010-04-05 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2768134

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: I've been swimming...
OneFastMule - 2010-04-05 1:04 AM Sorry that I've been incommunicado this past week, but I've been swimming (see picture below - and note the pool toy floating next to the BowFlex Smile).  After the tremendous rains last week (7 inches in 24 hours), our basement really flooded for the first time ever.  I've been pumping water for 5 days now and it is still coming in from underground (though it is much slower now).   The one bright spot is that a week of cleanup has done something that a whole month of training couldn't do: I've dropped another pound!  Now all I need to do is to figure out how to enter my bailing time in my training log as crosstraining...

Oh my.  I'm pretty sure that bikes were not made for riding in the pool!  Maybe you need one of these:

water bike

and for running maybe also one of these

water wheel

(Sorry.  Couldn't resist.  I've had to deal with flooding basements and failed sump pumps before  I know it is no fun at all.  I hope it clears up soon for you.)

2010-04-05 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2768865

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Stone Cutter - 2010-04-05 12:23 PM Mule...that stinks.  A flooded basement is truly one of life's most annoying PITA.

Great to see the discussion on nutrition during longer runs.  I have never really used gels but have been thinking about giving them a try...I'll definitely start to experiment this weekend on my 11 miler. I did 9.5 miles yesterday without anything (not even water) but am not too sore (although I was super tired last night).  It'll be interesting to see how I feel during and after when taking regular fluids and some nutrition.

In an unrelated topic, I got my computer on my bike hooked up and running over the weekend and was dismayed to see how slowly I'd been riding.  I'd thought for sure I was riding in the low 20s, but it turns out I was riding closer to 17-18 mph.  I think I need to cut out beers and lose the beer belly...it must be causing some serious wind drag. 

Hope everyone has a great start to the week. 

Couple of things:

First, be prepared to experiment with the nutrition -- different flavors, different timing, different amounts, different brands.  Also, it might take a while for your body to acclimate to taking in nutrition while exercising.  It's probably best to err on the side of too little at first.  And in any case, your max is probably somewhere 250-350 calories/hour.  More than that and you're pretty much guaranteed to puke.

Second, I don't know what kind of terrain you are riding on, but averaging 17-18mph around these parts is pretty good.  Averaging low 20s on a training ride is elite AG stuff around here.
2010-04-05 5:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Hi everyone - I've been mia for a while too...I took I think 9 days off from training.  I was sick for a good part of that, but I'd planned the break anyway.  The only exercise that I got was a 3 mile ride with my son.  I didn't even go for a walk the whole time.  I think I was overdue for a break.  Back at it today though with a 6 mile run and several 2-3 mile bike rides.  Had a car accident last week and the car is in the body shop.  Only very minor damage, completely the other guy's fault and nobody was hurt, so it could have been much worse.  But, the guy that hit me also could have looked behind him before trying to make a left turn from the right lane (two lanes going the same direction on a one way street).  He cut right into my lane and I had nowhere to go.

Time to start ramping up for my 1/2 in May....

Mule - Been there, and don't envy your situation...

Michael - those pics made me clean diet coke from my monitor...thanks.

Phil - good luck with your 1/2 - you'll do great!

SC - I'm with Micheal - 18 is nothing to sneeze at....especially if you have rolling terrain like I do...

Brian - I love those bricks where your legs feel like lead!  That's why I'm so excited for my HIM in September...after a long ride, my legs don't feel 'normal' for at least the first two miles into the run...

2010-04-05 5:38 PM
in reply to: #2769780

User image

Veteran
DC
Welcome back Scout.  Sorry to hear about the accident...I hope the guy at least apologized for his moronic driving.  I'm also running a half in May...indeed, time to ramp up the running.  Let me know if you've got any good interval workouts.

As for my cycling speed, the biggest 'hill' we have here in the city of Chicago is an interstate overpass.  I think the difference between the highest and lowest point on my 30 mile out and back route is about 13 feet.  So it's pretty easy to 'cruise' at a high speed.

Mike

2010-04-05 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Funny story...
This weekend I was getting ready for 17 people to come have easter dinner at my house. I was moving a bunch of stuff around, and my daughters 30lb bike fell down on my foot. To be exact, the kickstand landed square on one of my toes. The nurse that I work with looked at it today, and declared that it's broken. Yep, same foot that is already injured. At least I feel justified in feeling like it's been throbbing and painful for the past 2 days!

Okay, it's not really a funny story. But, at this point, if I don't laugh, I might cry.
2010-04-05 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2769801

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Stone Cutter - 2010-04-05 6:38 PM Welcome back Scout.  Sorry to hear about the accident...I hope the guy at least apologized for his moronic driving.  I'm also running a half in May...indeed, time to ramp up the running.  Let me know if you've got any good interval workouts.

A workout that I've been seeing a lot of recently while reading various books is something like this.  Do a long run (maybe 10 miles at this point?) like this:  2 miles warm-up, then 3x 1.5 miles @ race pace/ 0.5 miles easy, then 2 miles cool-down.  I've done this sort of thing or variations on it and I think it is a really good workout.  It gives you plenty of time at race pace, but doesn't kill you so you can recover OK.

Another good workout (I did this one the other day) is to do a mile or two warm-up then 4-5 miles at race pace or a little quicker, then a moderate to easy pace to the end (of a long run).

Yet another is to do 5-6 miles easy then 4 miles or so at race pace or even a little quicker then a mile cool-down.

2010-04-05 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
Stu-Congrats to your daughter!
Mark- I think I would've moved the bike up to my living room to keep it dry and safe. My husband wouldn't be happy, but I wouldn't care. I hope the flooding stops soon for you.
2010-04-05 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2770176

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
slow turtle - 2010-04-05 10:16 PM

Funny story...
This weekend I was getting ready for 17 people to come have easter dinner at my house. I was moving a bunch of stuff around, and my daughters 30lb bike fell down on my foot. To be exact, the kickstand landed square on one of my toes. The nurse that I work with looked at it today, and declared that it's broken. Yep, same foot that is already injured. At least I feel justified in feeling like it's been throbbing and painful for the past 2 days!

Okay, it's not really a funny story. But, at this point, if I don't laugh, I might cry.

Are you sure you want to race this year? I will shed a tear for you.
2010-04-05 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
slow turtle - 2010-04-05 7:16 PM Funny story...

That is just not right, not fair, nor funny.  I am not sure I could handle all that.  Hang in there things are bound to turn towards the better.  Sorry for your misfortunes.  We all get tested in many different ways don't we?
2010-04-05 9:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
slow turtle - 2010-04-05 9:16 PM Funny story...

Heidi,

That's what you get for being a parent that does not buy their daughter a carbon fiber frame! ; )
All kidding aside, that's a drag. Positive healing thoughts and prayers in your direction.

Phil
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46