BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-04-11 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.
Congrats, Jay! Great news. Any movement forward is good, and to do all that is fantastic. Now just don't over do it

2013-04-11 1:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
That's great Jay!  I do know how good it feels to sweat again!  Keep it up, be careful and don't overdo it!
2013-04-12 6:53 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Goooooood Mornin' everyone!

Hope this Friday finds everyone well! Its a dreary, soon to be rainy and semi-cold day/night here, but not much I can do about that. I'll likely end up with really wet shoes again tonight as I have a 1 hour run to do later today. Had a strength training session this AM and it was a toughie. Always feels good after though, maybe because it was over? .

Lousy weather is likely to continue into tomorrow AM, so my 3 hr ride to do tomorrow will likely be done in my basement on the trainer. Time for a couple new movies to watch. One of these days I'll ride a bike on the road. Hopefully.

2013-04-12 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

That's some good sounding news on the job front for Samantha and Steve.  The waiting is the hardest part.  Steve, your wife's 17 month plan to IMTahoe shoulds reasonable given not pushing the rehab too hard, possible job change, move, etc.  Speaking of which -- good news for most on the injury recovery front.  Nice sweating there Jay!  A bit concerned about Brian and Ken though.  And yes, avoid the yard work to the extent possible...and house cleaning...they all can detract from your workouts pose serious injury risks !

Made it out for a short run yesterday, but not time for the pool given work and taking FIL to two doc appts, so plan to hit that today.  Weather here has cleared and it's beautiful outside!  It's an off weekend for the bike group, so hubby & I can do our own thing. 

2013-04-12 10:24 AM

User image

Yang Min Shan, T'ai-pei
Hey All,I have been out of the loop for the past week. It looks like group is feeling better as a whole. The worm has turned and spring is bringing warmer temps. Good to see Steve will be back in action in a few weeks and everyone is motoring along.I tried to keep my workouts flowing while on vacation but I only did a 1000 M open water swim and a long run that was just shy of 7 miles. I was having too good of a time water-parking it with my daughters. Atlantis-Dubai is Awesome. I have been doing a lot of swimming over that last few weeks and thought I was better prepared for the open water swim I did. I was stopping every 100 or 150 meters. I am not really sure why since i have been doing 1500M + plus swims in the pool. I hope I figure out the whole open water swim thing before July!I have been dealing with some pain on my right shin/calf. I think i have a shin splint and plan to take a week or so off to see what happens. I ran last Monday and plan to run a local 5K with my daughter tomorrow. I will see how it feels tomorrow evening and will decide whether to take a bit of time off running. I think my swimming needs more attention anyway I hope everyone has a healthy weekend of training! Enjoy the warmer temps.
2013-04-13 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Happy Saturday AM !!

Managed to get in my 3 hours on the trainer this AM (48 miles as well!) and all without even one call to the Samaritan hotline. Now off to go coach my daughter's 4th grade soccer team. Have a great day everyone!

2013-04-13 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Beautiful morning ride with hubby!  25.5 miles mostly on the cottonbelt trail, which is a multi-use path alongside some railroad tracks.  Too many road crossings, but otherwise a very nice place to ride.  Starbucks stop on the way home.  My kind of date

Weather here is awesome...wish I could send some to you guys! 

2013-04-13 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Mike - your trainer rides are amazing.  3 hours on that thing would drive me crazy!  Way to go.

Carol - sounds like an amazing ride with the hubby

I did a beach workout this morning with my new running group.  RunMDR.  Absolutely killed me.  Covered about 3 miles in the sand with sprints, core, ,sideways etc...  What a workout@

2013-04-14 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4698971

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Mike, that is amazing that you could stay on the trainer for 3 hours.

Carol, that sounds like a nice date with a great guy.

Mitch, whoa that is a serious running group!

My workouts are suffering due to a rental house but hopefully we'll have everything resolved there soon.  Also my schedule is now much clearer because son had last h.s. freshman game yesterday.  This season has been different because games have been rescheduled multiple times because of the weather, canceled out of the blue, practice has run long or has ended early when I'm on the other side of the town.  Despite all of that, we are really, really, really gonna miss it.  He is going to play in another league for a while but it's more laid back.

Ok, I'm off for another day at the rental house.  But I'm going to take off tomorrow and see I can watch the Boston Marathon online.  I did that 2 years ago and I was cheering so loud for Davila that my dog hid under the chair thinking I was angry.

2013-04-14 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Happy Sunday!  Boy am I sore from the beach workout yesterday!!  Still wanted to get in a 7 mile long run this morn and I did it!  Nice and slow but feels good to be extending  my miles!  first 20 mile week in a very long time and I'm loving it.  

Hope everyone has a great day! 

2013-04-14 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Congrats, Mitch!

Its another Sunday of freezing on the sidelines of kids soccer games for me. Nice long run of 8 miles in my future to end the day post dinner.

2013-04-15 12:01 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Looks like everyone is coming along pretty well.  I'm walking less gingerly, pretty good on the flats, not so good on steps or declines, things moving along nicely, interview 1 is on Tuesday so I'll be driving 300 miles interview and then 300 home.  Will keep yall informed good or ill.  
2013-04-15 6:20 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Good luck, Steve! We're all pulling for you!

I'm off for a run, then a swim with the wife later this afternoon.

Will try to catch some of the marathon as well.

2013-04-15 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
My heart goes out to all those in Boston.  Very sad...
2013-04-15 7:07 PM
in reply to: #4701492

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Oh Lord it's awful!  An 8 year old boy and amputations.  Who?  Why?  I've got to get away from the tv.  I'm going for a walk and will pray for all of those victims.  I cannot pray for the people/group that did this.
2013-04-15 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Pam, I'm going to join you on that walk.

2013-04-16 4:07 AM

Blairstown, NJ

Such senselessness, I watch little news now days because of it. 

Great recovery going on in our MASH unit. Sure it is never as fast as you would like but sounds like you all will be racing before you know it. Keep it up and do not over do.

I have been busy. Truck busted a trans, luckily one month before the warranty expires but in the mean time, we are down a vehicle. Taxman was not very nice this year either. Training is going well though. Run last night went good pushing the down hills a bit on a nice 4.42 miles in 42:25. Splits looked good at 8:52, 9:15, 9:47, and 10:01. I had been getting concerned with my pace not returning quite as fast as I would like so to see a sub 9mpm split is nice. Bike speed is coming slowly as well with one bike at 16mph over 26+ miles. Sorry for the hit and run but getting late for work. Happy training!

2013-04-16 5:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Best of luck to Steve today on his job interview!
2013-04-16 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Hey everyone. Bizarro day here in Boston. Given the horrible events of yesterday, things are strange here today. I work downtown, and the police presence on the way in today was obvious. The harbor is under patrol by numerous Coast Guard & Boston Police boats. The office is unusually quiet and sedate, in part due to it being school vacation week, and some folks are out, but I suspect a large dose of people just dealing with yesterday.  I'm guessing there is far more interest in knowing what is going on with the investigations and progress with it than there is on actually doing work related things. I know I just feel like watching TV (as much as it sometimes troubles me) and knowing what the latest news may be. I chalk it up to wanting reassurance that all is well, and in some way to regain that bit of trust & surety taken yesterday.  I had yesterday off, and our family usually goes into the city to watch the race with the finish line area a prime destination. Decided Sunday night we'd just stay home and do something there. One good thing to see this AM -- LOTS of folks out going for a run. Saw an unusually large number of folks out and about, and it made me smile.

I did get in my long run yesterday AM (8 miles!) and am sore as heck this AM from it! . Tonight is a bike ride, tomorrow some swimming, and a shorter bike.

2013-04-16 7:00 AM

Blairstown, NJ

Mike - Glad you and the family are safe. That eery feeling is never fun to deal with. Glad to hear there are some leads being followed to catch those guys.

2013-04-16 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Mike, I'm glad you decided to stay home.  As for the events of yesterday, this is where I become a very torn man.  As a man of faith, you are expected to be loving to all and have faith that this all happened for a reason......I think its safe to say that is very difficult at the moment.  The corrections side of me makes me very callous to these things...I know the mentality of evil people because I'm around them almost everyday.  For the most part, they are the worst of the worst and extreme cowards.  It angers me even more to know that when they are caught, they will be coddled and protected by the same government and politicians that are currently showing outrage.   

Sorry, that rant has been inside of me for a bit now.  I say lets pray for the men and woman who are in the medical field helping these vicitms and all of the first responders.  I recall reading about some of the first responders at Sandy Hook that were unable to return to work due to the psychological impact of what they saw that day.  I certainly hope that doesn't happen to all of the silent heros of yesterday's tragic events.

Hope you all have a good day today.

2013-04-16 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Still mostly speechless about the events of yesterday.  I know a few people who were running/spectating, and all have reported in as OK. 

Mike, very glad you and your family are OK.  I didn't realize you were so close the city. 

Jay, your rant is very appropriate IMHO.  Dealing with that side of people all the time has to be incredibly difficult, and then seeing large numbers of people hurt by something so senseless just adds to that.

Steve, hope the interview goes well.  Let us know when you can.

Speaking of jobs, Samantha, have you heard anything?  How are your workouts going?

Today may turn into a second day off from working out for me.  I've been abnormally tired after doing much of anything on the workout front, and need the energy for work and life right now. My doc called me a couple weeks ago to discuss my bloodwork, but we missed connections.  I have a a call in to see if that might have turned up any clues re: the fatigue level.  Have been vitamin D deficient previously, so thinking that might be part of it.  

2013-04-16 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Just for fun I checked Google Earth and my house is 15.97 miles from the finish line of the Marathon (straight line). Driving its more like 18 or 19.
2013-04-16 3:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Mike, so thankful that you and your family are safe!!!

Steve, praying that the interview goes well.

We have a 5K this weekend that is huge - because they have free beer.  Yesterday, I was on the fence about doing it but now I want/need to be there.  Someone suggested wearing yellow and blue ribbons in support of Boston and I loved the idea.  I'll be manning that table.  I missed the info about wearing a race shirt today but now I've decided that I'm going to wear as much yellow as I can to show my support; I plan to do this for weeks.  Also just found that someone has organized a run for Sunday to "complete" the marathon for others and collect donations for Boston.  They are doing 5.2 miles since apparently many of the racers were pulled at mile 21.

My area had 18 runners there.  They had all finished before the explosion occurred but several had just crossed the finish line or just been released from the medic tent.  None of them, or their families, were hurt but the explosion occurred right where one friend normally stands waiting for her hubby; thankfully she left early because of a tight flight connection.

Jay, you said things beautifully and so did you Carol in our communications.  I still can't talk about the event much for several reasons - tearing up for the victims, admiration for the people that came to their aid, and total despisement of the people who did this.  As a Christian, I am ashamed of myself for my hostility but ..... an 8-year old child?  God is so much bigger than me. 

2013-04-16 3:18 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois

Yesterday was a very sobering day. I had no idea what happened until last night about 7:00 CST when I read Mitch's post. After that I played catch up with posts on here. I have all the same feelings as you all...anger, frustration, dispare, dumbfounded all come to mind along with some others. Jay, I think you hit the nail on the head. It takes a true coward to attack innocent people during a time of fun and excitement. Unfortunately, this is happening all over the world - Syria, Iraq, etc. It is harder to stomach when it hits close to home, but I have found comfort in others saying we (meaning the kind-hearted people with morals and love for others) truely outnumber the few terrorists that feel the need to go to extremes to make themselves heard, wreak havoc, or whatever their messed up goals are. I'm just glad everyone here is ok, and my thoughts and prayers are with the injured and their families.

I'm going for a ride after work. Gonna repeat a ride I rode a couple days ago. Hopefully my somewhat rested legs along with this pent up frustration will give me some extra speed this time around.

Steve, Samantha - Best wishes in your job searches and interviews. You are both exceptional people, and I know you will nail your interviews!

Stay strong everyone, and as always be safe!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52