BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-07-12 9:29 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED

I have a Kiwami Torpedo swimskin. I like it and will likely use it tomorrow in my race since it will be a non wetsuit race. One of the things I like about wearing the swimskin is I can wear it over my tri kit...remove it in T1 and be good to go. It would not be legal in a WTC (Ironman brand) event.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.  

2013-07-12 2:34 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
How do those of you with spouses/children juggle training time and making sure your family doesn't feel left out/abandoned? I thought I had been doing a good job balancing HIM training and being a wife (no kids). Apparently, my husband disagrees. I try to get most of my workouts done when he's at work, but there are some things (ows) that, for safety reasons, need to be done in groups & have to be scheduled at times that aren't perfect for me. Clearly, tri requires a supportive partner, but how do you all make it work?
2013-07-12 7:38 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by glfprncs

How do those of you with spouses/children juggle training time and making sure your family doesn't feel left out/abandoned? I thought I had been doing a good job balancing HIM training and being a wife (no kids). Apparently, my husband disagrees. I try to get most of my workouts done when he's at work, but there are some things (ows) that, for safety reasons, need to be done in groups & have to be scheduled at times that aren't perfect for me. Clearly, tri requires a supportive partner, but how do you all make it work?

Nancy,

This is one of the hardest things about training seriously for triathlon. If you are going to really commit to getting better it is going to suck a lot of time and require compromises. My wife and I have a sit down about once a week and discuss whether or not my training is hurting our marriage or my relationship with the kids. There is no way around the fact that triathlon takes away time with my family. We have just had to reach an agreement and the agreement is fluid and gets adjusted. I do a significant amount of my training in the early morning which makes it invisible, but that means I am pretty tired and ready for bed pretty early, while my wife continues to be a night owl.

My wife has asked that I not sign up for a full IM next year because of the level of training it requires. I think this is reasonable although if you talk to Randy, I am not sure that he is training that much less than me for halfs, sprints and Olympics.

I guess I would have to say that communication needs to be open and both parties need to be receptive. Your spouse needs to be willing to compromise and so do you. Last weekend I was supposed to run an hour in the afternoon on Sunday. It became clear to me that the negative consequences in family time outweighed the importance of the run so I bagged it. I would have loved to have gotten the run in but I loved spending the time with my family even more.
2013-07-12 8:12 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-Jason is spot on. When I looked at my hours for the first half of the year, which included 2 HIM and 4 other sprint races I averaged 10-11 hours a week training. My biggest week was maybe 13-14 hours. 

My wife is supportive and my children will both be in college next year so I don't have as many responsibilities with family activities as I used to. But, I try to adjust my training to make sure it has a minimal impact on family activities. During the week I typically train twice a day so that means early morning, lunch or evening. During my dayghter's HS soccer season I would do everything possible to get my workouts done early and at lunch. I might miss a workout if things didn't workout but getting to her games was the priority.  I'm fortunate that I can typically get a swim or run in at lunch and be home by 4:00pm to get my second workout in. When a lunch workout is out due to work commitments I'm at the pool or on the treadmill around 5:00am. I have my own small law practice and I have some flexibility in my schedule. I'm almost always at work by 7:00am and home around 4:00pm. Thats a luxury as I'm done with evening training by 6:00pm.

I could not have devoted this amount of time to the sport when my kids were young. I've always been very involved in their activities but as they get older they become more self suffcient time opens up.   Triathlon does not have to become all encompassing....although I sometimes (oftentimes) become obsessive about it. Its good to keep communication open with your spouse/partner because what we think may not cause a problem may in fact be a big problem.  As I'm sure you know balance is key.

I'm in Meridian, MS for a race tomorrow.....pretty hilly bike course for us flatlanders!    

2013-07-12 8:22 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
PS. My plan is to be up at 5 AM tomorrow on Saturday. I see no way that my long run for the week will get done if it isn't finished by 7 AM. It kind of sucks but once you have made the commitment, you do what you have to do. (We will see if it really happens)
2013-07-12 10:43 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Nancy- It is really difficult to balance family and training, especially with a 2 year old. I would like to step up to IM distance but I know that I don't have the time to spare nor do I want to miss that time with the family right now. I was up to almost 10 hours a week training I June, and realized it was to much so I've decided to back down to about 6-7 hours. I'm fortunate my wife loves to swim so we send the kid to the grandparents 3 days a week and swim together, other than that I train early in the morning and at lunch come winter time it may be in the later evening. I'm also fortunate my wife knows that triathlon is a way for me to control my diabetes as long as I'm active and eating good I do not need drugs to control my sugar and triathlon gives me the competitive push I need.

On another note, I bought a 2009 Cervelo P2C today full Dura Ace components I can't wait to get it, I also finally broke :10:00 in a 525 yard swim tonight.

2013-07-12 11:47 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Calgary, AB

Howdy all -- haven't checked in in a while, as I've been very busy preparing for (and going on) a road trip to Vancouver with the family.   Good news is, we timed the trip to coincide with a triathlon -- so I'll be a racer this weekend (Oly distance).  

Wish me luck!  And great luck to the other racers out there.

Scott.

2013-07-13 11:08 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good luck Scott. Pretty solid race this morning. 1st in AG. 19th of 330 overall. Curious to see my splits.
2013-07-13 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

Good luck Scott. Pretty solid race this morning. 1st in AG. 19th of 330 overall. Curious to see my splits.

Great finish! Was there any competition for your finish, or were you in a one-man race? What was the weather like? It's cloudy and cool here, which I'm actually looking forward to for my race tomorrow morning. It seems like pretty prime running conditions.
2013-07-13 2:58 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by WoodrowCall
Originally posted by slornow Good luck Scott. Pretty solid race this morning. 1st in AG. 19th of 330 overall. Curious to see my splits.
Great finish! Was there any competition for your finish, or were you in a one-man race? What was the weather like? It's cloudy and cool here, which I'm actually looking forward to for my race tomorrow morning. It seems like pretty prime running conditions.

Missed out on Grandmasters by about 30 seconds. 2nd in AG was about 2-3 minutes back. I'm headed to be the beach. No computer hook up so will check in tomorrow. Crush it racers!  

2013-07-13 3:49 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Thanks for the info regarding balancing tri and family. Very, very helpful.

Went to 'tri camp' today. Tremendous lectures at Peak Rehab regarding using training data to improve upon said training & injury prevention/rehab. Rode the HIM course after and really made myself push it (and chased lots.of dudes). Took 25 minutes off my time from the last time I rode the course. Whoop! Go me.

2013-07-13 4:58 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by glfprncs

Thanks for the info regarding balancing tri and family. Very, very helpful.

Went to 'tri camp' today. Tremendous lectures at Peak Rehab regarding using training data to improve upon said training & injury prevention/rehab. Rode the HIM course after and really made myself push it (and chased lots.of dudes). Took 25 minutes off my time from the last time I rode the course. Whoop! Go me.

Holy cow, that is some serious progress. Way to go.

Randy, great result. Remember how you said I was the younger, faster mentor. I may be younger but I am struggling to keep up with you. You are truly inspiring in how you have applied yourself and the results you are seeing. Nice work.
2013-07-13 9:13 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nancy. That's impressive improvement. You are getting some great training in. Augusta HIM will be a breeze!
2013-07-14 3:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Hey all, 

I have been pretty busy with training and life and have been trying to balance my life a little bit more which requires less time on the computer. With that said here I am ... :-)

I am sitting on my couch and I am hurting ... today was a day of firsts ....

I had a X-50 Distance race today ... 1 mile swim, 40 miles on the bike and a 9 mile run. The swimming portion wasn't bad. I finished the swim in 25 minutes which isn't my best but acceptable. I was flying on the bike like I had never been before. I was averaging around 23.5 mph which is pretty fast for me and at mile 12 there was a right turn ... all I remember is my front wheel slipping away from under me and then I am looking at the cop at the turn stopping traffic. I think I hit the pavement at 17.9 mph according to my Garmin. I finished another 20 miles after a 10 minute break when the adrenaline started to wear off and the pain started setting in! I have some major road rash on my right side ankle, knee, hip, under the armpit, my complete arm and a little bit on my neck. It will be a painful couple of days ... can't wait. 

So today I crashed for the first time and I DNF'ed for the first time. Both are not feeling very good! I am not going to post pictures .... :-

Did anyone else race today?

2013-07-14 3:48 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

Calgary, AB

Geez Michael... sorry to hear about the crash.  Hopefully road rash is the worst of it.

I raced this morning -- Vancouver Olympic.  Basically matched my time from last month (within 1 minute overall).  The swim was quite a bit slower -- swimming in the ocean is a different beast!  Luckily the waves were manageable but the current was noticeable -- many swimmers kept on veering off in the wrong direction.  

Bike was pretty good -- one killer hill (which I had to do twice... two lap course) but otherrwise OK.  

Run -- better than last time.  First 5K went reasonably well. Second 5K, fatigue and intense sun (in the Pacific Northwest... who'da thunk it??) took their toll.

Overall -- happy that I finished, happy that I survived the ocean swim, disappointed that I didn't improve more, but overall it went fine.    Looking forward to my next tri which is a Sprint distance... I should be well prepped for it!
Scott. 

2013-07-14 4:44 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Michael-hate to hear about the crash. Be cautious in pushing too hard getting back to training. I suspect you will be even more sore and stiff tomorrow. Something I found that really does a good job on road rash is tegaderm bandages. They are waterproof and hold up well for a day or more. The material is what they use to hold in IV lines and such. Glad you are not injured worse.

Scott-solid work in the race. You are right about swimming in the ocean. What looks like a small wave or swell looks and feels really big when you are down there swimming. 

2013-07-14 5:20 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Michael that sounds very scary.  Did you hit your head?  are you sure there isn't anything broken?  I really didn't know the answer to that question until the next few days after it happened.  Please be careful returning to SBR.

Scott, great job on the race.  what was the best part????

Randy, you never cease to amaze with your results.  Good stuff.

I was supposed to race a sprint in a town not far from our Summer home, but I woke to storms so after my experience two weeks prior, I bagged it.  I hate missing races no matter how small, but trying to keep my eye on the prize.

2013-07-14 6:04 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Great job mentor Randy! Seriously you are cleaning up this year

Nancy - impressive - 25 minutes!!

Michael - URGH - that's so unnerving. Heal up and take care of yourself.

Scott - congrats on your consistent finish! For now I'm avoiding tris with ocean swims! Good for you conquering the beast!

I did a sprint Tri today - little local thing
RR: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Today was the first day that I not only RAN pain free, I was pain free for the rest of the day. I'm so tentatively excited that my tendonitis seems to be under control. Midway through July and now I can start to train to run LOL But it's all good - I feel great (except for this headache LOL)

Hope everyone else had a good weekend too. I'm off tomorrow - why? Because I can be. I'm still on the fence about signing up for a women's tri next weekend. It's about an hour and a half drive :/ We'll see. I'm planning on my local off road tri on Tuesday.
2013-07-14 6:17 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Michael, so sorry to hear about the crash and DNF. I hope it doesn't keep you down long!

I had a good sprint race this morning; it was a local sprint race that I did last year. I was able to improve my overall finish time by 10 minutes, and finished 4th in my AG (missed the podium by about 90 seconds!). It was rainy, but it was a really great race, and I'm thrilled with how I did. It was probably my best-executed race so far; I had a better idea of how hard I could push myself than I've had before. You can check out my Race Report in my Race Log if you want any details.

Tomorrow, it's back to training for IMLou with a three-hour long run. Today's race messed up weekend training, so I had to move some things around. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

-Jamie
2013-07-14 6:19 PM

User image

Champion
I finally finished my RR for IMF.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Still pretty exhausted from the past few weeks. Short runs and rides and that is about it. Debating what to do for my tri next weekend...
2013-07-14 8:07 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee-good job in the race. In my first tri the water was so shallow I ended up only having to swim about 50 yards......it was great! Glad to hear you are running pain free. Hope it continues.

Jamie-always great to see improvement in races from year to year. Solid splits in swim, bike and run. Keep at it for that final push to IM Louisville!

Suzy-smart decision. Very wise to keep in mind the big picture...something I'm not always very good at.

Melissa-great report. Outstanding accomplishment. That swim start would have been terrifying.

Easy spin on the bike for me this evening. 

2013-07-14 8:55 PM

User image

Expert

Michael - sorry to hear about your crash and DNF. Hope you are recovering well.

Melissa - fantastic race report. I think I'm going to have nightmares of Red Wetsuit Man! Nice job on a tough bike course.

Nothing too big going on for me. I've been hitting the bike fairly hard over the last few weeks. Yesterday though, on my long ride I had 3 flats. I couldn't find the source so I brought my tire into the LBS and they found a metal splinter, literally as thin as a hair and only a few mm long stuck in my tire. I don't think I would have ever found that if I were in a race. I had to call my son to bail me out after the 3rd flat. I was hoping to do a century ride, but fell short.
2013-07-15 1:27 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Calgary, AB

Best part overall:  The race setting was spectacular.   Summertime in Vancouver does not disappoint.   The swim and the run had a gorgeous mountain backdrop -- the run had a bonus vista of the downtown skyline.   Much of the bike course was heavily forested, winding its way around the university campus, with occasional snippets of ocean view.   And the weather was phenomenal -- sunny, clear, mild breeze, warm but not hot.

Best part of my performance:  The swim, while slow, was good -- glad to have completed an ocean swim.  And the bike felt pretty solid overall, despite a couple of gnarly hills.

Worst part:  I have two words for you... nipple chafing.  First time experiencing this lovely phenomenon.  May it be the last.

Scott.

2013-07-15 6:07 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Originally posted by Hoos

Best part overall:  The race setting was spectacular.   Summertime in Vancouver does not disappoint.   The swim and the run had a gorgeous mountain backdrop -- the run had a bonus vista of the downtown skyline.   Much of the bike course was heavily forested, winding its way around the university campus, with occasional snippets of ocean view.   And the weather was phenomenal -- sunny, clear, mild breeze, warm but not hot.

Best part of my performance:  The swim, while slow, was good -- glad to have completed an ocean swim.  And the bike felt pretty solid overall, despite a couple of gnarly hills.

Worst part:  I have two words for you... nipple chafing.  First time experiencing this lovely phenomenon.  May it be the last.

Scott.

I'd say you had a really good experience, minus the pesky chafing!  I've not been to Vancouver, but if it is anything like Banff or Lake Louise, I bet it was spectacular.

2013-07-15 8:31 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Michael,

Way to soldier on for another 20 miles. That takes some serious guts to get up and keep going after a hard fall. I'm not sure I would be that tough.

Scott,

Everything about your race sounds awesome, except for you know, the chafing part.

Melissa,

Glad to finally get to read aobut the nuts and bolts of your race. Very cool day.

I had a pretty darn good weekend of training despite the 90+ degreee temperatures (I know that is nothing for Randy but up here in MI we start to melt in that kind of heat). I am still having some issues with my neck and a couple bulging discs. It has been doing so well for so long that I thought my neck issues were behind me. But now I am scheduled for an MRI with possible need for "curative measures." Not excited.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88