BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-04-08 5:53 PM
in reply to: #1323830

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Subject: RE: medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-08 2:19 PM
curious are you still having hot flashes...cuz MINE SUK! I am now getting them during the day! I hate this...and since I am a cancer survivor...I can not have the steroid drugs that they give others...because the drugs they offer for hot flashes, cause cancer to spread more rapidly! so, meanwhile one moment I am bundled in layers of clothing...the next sitting next to naked and fanning myself....last nite I was lying on top of the covers/bedspread and was burning up....when the DH got up to use the restroom, he got back in bed shivering and said what are you hot??? and then said man how can you be....it's freezing in here! poor guy has to sleep in a room with a box fan in the window pretty much year round and the ceiling fan is always on! DOES IT EVER END DEE????? please tell me yes!

The latest theory seems to be that hot flashes are the body's response to fluctuating levels of hormones. Once the levels become more consistent, then supposedly the flashes diminish.

So yes, it will end. Or at least calm down. Yes, I speak from experience. LOL

Have you had your FSH levels tested? I've noticed a correlation between my symptoms and my FSH level. (No, that doesn't mean they'll do anything about it. It just means that you have medical evidence that you can hold in the air and wave around. If nothing else, waving the paper will circulate the air around you, thereby cooling you off.)

Edited by D001 2008-04-08 6:00 PM

2008-04-08 9:21 PM
in reply to: #1088860

User image

Extreme Veteran
I take Estroven a natural supplement, it has helped but you have to take it consistently...I was having about 5-10 per day and now it is 5 a week.

On that note good night and everyone remember to open your windows tonight to sleep well...ha

Amy IN
2008-04-08 10:38 PM
in reply to: #1325085

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

amy mutz - 2008-04-08 9:21 PM  On that note good night and everyone remember to open your windows tonight to sleep well...ha Amy IN

Only if I want to freeze to death   Think I am leaving the window closed! 

2008-04-08 11:12 PM
in reply to: #1325221

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
crea0029 - 2008-04-08 8:38 PM

amy mutz - 2008-04-08 9:21 PM  On that note good night and everyone remember to open your windows tonight to sleep well...ha Amy IN

Only if I want to freeze to death   Think I am leaving the window closed! 

Pam,  I don't think you will have to worry about this stuff for a very long time... the joys of youth... 

Edited by etknowles 2008-04-08 11:13 PM
2008-04-09 8:26 AM
in reply to: #1325267

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
etknowles - 2008-04-08 11:12 PM

amy mutz - 2008-04-08 9:21 PM On that note good night and everyone remember to open your windows tonight to sleep well...ha Amy IN

Only if I want to freeze to death Think I am leaving the window closed!

Pam, I don't think you will have to worry about this stuff for a very long time... the joys of youth...

It is weird that you mention that...last year I was having hot flashes...yeah I am only 22... the doctors could only conclude it was high levels stress that was doing it.  Not fun stuff. 

2008-04-09 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey Pam, my daughter was having them for awhile, but it was due to her missing her period from all her physical training.

Ok, are all you males tired of this topic?????ha

I hope everyone had a great Wednesday. I'm working this evening because I got nothing done today but talking with many friends from my local tri team and getting the low down on all their goals. I also went for a run, a walk, and then did my core workout, went and got my son from practice, ate supper and here I am working...ha Am I working??? NO, not yet, I have to get off of here first, and this is so much more fun...

I miss Julie already. Emerson will you see her this weekend? If so give her a hug from me, and she can give you a hug from me. Can't wait until I get to meet someone, anyone from our group.

2008-04-09 7:14 PM
in reply to: #1327154

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

amy mutz - 2008-04-09 4:19 PM 

...Emerson will you see her this weekend? If so give her a hug from me, and she can give you a hug from me. Can't wait until I get to meet someone, anyone from our group.

Amy, I plan to meet Julie on Sunday and we may see each other again when I run Big Sur later in the month.  With luck, I will meet you by early summer... That will make three...  What fun!!!  When I get my lecture/teaching schedule for the summer, I will see what other cities I will be in so I can meet more of the group... EK

2008-04-09 7:17 PM
in reply to: #1325601

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
crea0029 - 2008-04-09 6:26 AM
etknowles - 2008-04-08 11:12 PM

amy mutz - 2008-04-08 9:21 PM On that note good night and everyone remember to open your windows tonight to sleep well...ha Amy IN

Only if I want to freeze to death Think I am leaving the window closed!

Pam, I don't think you will have to worry about this stuff for a very long time... the joys of youth...

It is weird that you mention that...last year I was having hot flashes...yeah I am only 22... the doctors could only conclude it was high levels stress that was doing it.  Not fun stuff. 

Pam, stress if a vicious thing!!!  It will destroy your immune system, bring on depression and all sorts of other nasty things... Make it a point to not get into a job or relationship that takes you there and never take things too seriously.  You will live much longer and much happier....  I know, I am probably your dad's age... Emerson

2008-04-09 7:46 PM
in reply to: #1325085

User image

Champion
Taser-World
amy mutz - 2008-04-08 10:21 PM

I take Estroven a natural supplement, it has helped but you have to take it consistently...I was having about 5-10 per day and now it is 5 a week.

On that note good night and everyone remember to open your windows tonight to sleep well...ha

Amy IN

Amy, many of these OTC and "natural" products contain soy.

Soy is a source of phytoestrogens (plant estrogens). People who have had hormone-related cancers will want to steer clear of these, as they can fuel tumor growth.
2008-04-09 8:06 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

Greg,
I'm so sorry to hear the new challenges that you and Stephanie have to face.  During my own illness, I really came to believe that your mental strength really does make a huge difference, not only in your ability to fight your cancer, but also to continue to live your life despite the huge cloud hanging over you.  Get busy living or get busy dying is never more true than when we are faced with any medical challenge.  Stephanie sounds like the type of woman who won't stop fighting no matter the odds.

2008-04-09 8:10 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

I'm just a month shy of my 3rd anniversary of completing chemo (May 19th).  By pure coincidence, Karen and I got married May 20th one year later.  We didn't intentionally pick the date with that in mind, it was just the date our wedding location was available. 

Many of you can understand some of the mental challenges that I've been going thru.  Since I was sick about 3 weeks ago, I just haven't totally kicked it.  It's just enough to remind me of the way my symptoms first started four years ago.  I guess you never totally get over the fear that "IT" can come back.  I've got my next CT scan May 8th (AFTER my first HIM!!!) and I'll be dreading things a little until I get my report back the next week.  In my mind, I think it will be clear but there is still just a twinge of dread and fear hanging around.

I hope everyone had a great day. I was away from the office teaching today and will be tomorrow as well, so I'll be off the grid.  Back in the office on Friday.

2008-04-09 8:24 PM
in reply to: #1327387

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
medic0020 - 2008-04-09 6:10 PM

I'm just a month shy of my 3rd anniversary of completing chemo (May 19th).  By pure coincidence, Karen and I got married May 20th one year later.  We didn't intentionally pick the date with that in mind, it was just the date our wedding location was available. 

Many of you can understand some of the mental challenges that I've been going thru.  Since I was sick about 3 weeks ago, I just haven't totally kicked it.  It's just enough to remind me of the way my symptoms first started four years ago.  I guess you never totally get over the fear that "IT" can come back.  I've got my next CT scan May 8th (AFTER my first HIM!!!) and I'll be dreading things a little until I get my report back the next week.  In my mind, I think it will be clear but there is still just a twinge of dread and fear hanging around.

I hope everyone had a great day. I was away from the office teaching today and will be tomorrow as well, so I'll be off the grid.  Back in the office on Friday.

Eric,

I understand.  Every time I get "bone pain" I get concerned.  I get a test to check on my cancer a couple of times a year and have never gotten used to it.  I watched my father die of the cancer that I have now survived almost four years.  So, Peg and I approach life with a simple view.  We live each day to the fullest.  We see each day as a gift.  We work hard and we play hard.  We serve life with purpose.

This is the mission that I start each day with:

I open each day seeing life as a gift, opening my heart to the goodness in people and an uncluttered mind to see and serve others in truth.  I center myself with integrity, a drive for excellence, serving others and maintaining humility in the process.  I am a supportive man to my family and friends.  I am a guide to my children. I am a pillar of strength for my wife and a supportive son to my mother.  I will forgive, including those with no remorse.  I am patient, loving, and strong and allow the gift of God’s wisdom to be heard.  I live each day with the richness it deserves.

It helps me live each day the way I believe it should.  Not the way it comes flying at me...

Your friend, Emerson

2008-04-09 8:25 PM
in reply to: #1327316

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dee - ok I have the ingredients below, tell me if any are what you would be concerned about.
I am anal about such things, so I don't want ot take them if there is risk.

I'm not putting all the ingredients, but here are the ones in question.

Plant-Derived Ensymes, Soy Extract, Kudzu Extract???????????????????

What do you think?
2008-04-09 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1327387

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eric & Emerson I know your fear is something you have to deal with alone when you have testing and evaluations, I can only imagine that it is a lonely and frightening feeling. There isn't much I can do for you, but when you have a test coming up let me know so I can be praying for health and comfort, and also I will have you in my thoughts at the very time your going to the visit so you know your being thought of and not alone in your thoughts. That is an offer to any of my fellow BT'ers.

I'm trying to live in the moment with everything in life...if you try to see the end results you drain yourself of the gifts given to you at that very moment in time.

Have a great night!!!

Love from Indiana
2008-04-09 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1327446

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX
etknowles - 2008-04-09 8:24 PM
medic0020 - 2008-04-09 6:10 PM

I'm just a month shy of my 3rd anniversary of completing chemo (May 19th). By pure coincidence, Karen and I got married May 20th one year later. We didn't intentionally pick the date with that in mind, it was just the date our wedding location was available.

Many of you can understand some of the mental challenges that I've been going thru. Since I was sick about 3 weeks ago, I just haven't totally kicked it. It's just enough to remind me of the way my symptoms first started four years ago. I guess you never totally get over the fear that "IT" can come back. I've got my next CT scan May 8th (AFTER my first HIM!!!) and I'll be dreading things a little until I get my report back the next week. In my mind, I think it will be clear but there is still just a twinge of dread and fear hanging around.

I hope everyone had a great day. I was away from the office teaching today and will be tomorrow as well, so I'll be off the grid. Back in the office on Friday.

Eric,

I understand. Every time I get "bone pain" I get concerned. I get a test to check on my cancer a couple of times a year and have never gotten used to it. I watched my father die of the cancer that I have now survived almost four years. So, Peg and I approach life with a simple view. We live each day to the fullest. We see each day as a gift. We work hard and we play hard. We serve life with purpose.

This is the mission that I start each day with:

I open each day seeing life as a gift, opening my heart to the goodness in people and an uncluttered mind to see and serve others in truth. I center myself with integrity, a drive for excellence, serving others and maintaining humility in the process. I am a supportive man to my family and friends. I am a guide to my children. I am a pillar of strength for my wife and a supportive son to my mother. I will forgive, including those with no remorse. I am patient, loving, and strong and allow the gift of God’s wisdom to be heard. I live each day with the richness it deserves.

It helps me live each day the way I believe it should. Not the way it comes flying at me...

Your friend, Emerson

Eric and Emerson,

I've never walked in the your shoes (the patient) so I know my experience is different. Yet, there are similarities. Every time Stef would get sick, or a strange ache, or whatever, I'd wonder if it was IT. The scans were always tough when she was in remission. They are even harder now because we have come to almost expect bad news. It's funny how she and I are under the same roof - same bed even - yet have completely different experiences to the beast that has hit us.

No matter what happens in our case, I want you both to know that I am cheering your survivorship (and the others as well) from the mountain tops. And as Eric said, attitude is a lot of the battle. There are so many things cancer cannot do - I'm sure you've seen the poem. In my mind, Stephanie has already won the battle on cancer. Why? Because, like another friend in the area says, she may have cancer but it doesn't have her.

Be well all,

Greg 

2008-04-09 10:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Anyone heard from Amy of CA -- abud7373 -- for a while?  She is usually flying by from time to time. 

Amy of CA, if you are out there, I hope you, your lovely kids and special Husband are all well....

Amy of IN, thanks for all the prayers.  I have seen the miracle of prayer and a good attitude in Peggy's life.  What you do makes a difference and we appreciate it...  Can't wait to meet you soon.  I will be in Cincy from 4/14 to 4/20.  Peggy and I will be back for the summer from 5/18 to about 9/15.  Let's be sure we cross paths somewhere...

Eric, I am with you.... my next test is July.  I don't think about it in-between, I live life to its fullest...  My answer to cancer!

Dee, I truly appreciate all the support you give to so many.  You deserve all the happiness life can offer.

Pam, learn from this group, we have traveled a lot of tough roads.   We all would like nothing more than have you learn lessons from us and skip the trials we have all trudged trough.

Julie, just a couple of days... be in touch soon.

Gregg, we are with you.  I look forward to the day I can look you in the eye and shake your hand for showing us all what commitment is...

Good night all, Emerson

2008-04-10 6:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
It's Thursday and it's going to be a great day!!!!! I will accept no less.

I "will" be working all day today...hmmm Then have my son's track meet, and then I'm going to try and hit the Y at 7:00pm for a swim with my tri sis Shelley, but if we are under a tornado warning like they predict I will just go home. This the season for Tornados here.

Hugs to the bunch of you.

Have a wonderful day!!!!!
2008-04-10 7:13 AM
in reply to: #1327943

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

amy mutz - 2008-04-10 4:59 AM It's Thursday and it's going to be a great day!!!!! I will accept no less. I "will" be working all day today...hmmm Then have my son's track meet, and then I'm going to try and hit the Y at 7:00pm for a swim with my tri sis Shelley, but if we are under a tornado warning like they predict I will just go home. This the season for Tornados here. Hugs to the bunch of you. Have a wonderful day!!!!!

Good Morning and Happy Thursday to everyone as well.  4:59 AM, I am such a slacker  I did not get on line until a little after 5:00 AM.... Now, onto the day.  Let's all make it a day worthy of our effort.  Emerson

2008-04-10 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Morning to everyone too!  It is 7:24...kinda late for me.  I am off to diving class and then I have a long swim workout to do!  I'll stop by later... have a great day!!
2008-04-10 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh1yMnrby3w&feature=related

I love starting my day with utube inspiration... This is for all my BT friends.
2008-04-10 8:41 AM
in reply to: #1327980

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

Great vid! I'd not seen that one before and the timing was perfect.

Last night I signed up from my first Half Ironman. The swim and bike don't bother me. I've got to start hitting the running hard. I'm pumped because I've got something to work for. Now, I just have to get to work. I'll be watching that video a lot.

Have a great day!

2008-04-10 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job on signing up, you have a commitment now!!!!

Amy IN
2008-04-10 7:31 PM
in reply to: #1327980

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

amy mutz - 2008-04-10 7:25 AM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh1yMnrby3w&feature=relatedI love starting my day with utube inspiration... This is for all my BT friends.

That's an awesome video.  I was watching some this weekend and watched ones on the Blazeman and also on Dick Hoyt and his son.  If you haven't seen them before, be ready for some serious sentimentality.  Awesome stuff

2008-04-10 10:07 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Just watching that gets my blood pumping...I want THAT sooo bad.  I know it is just going to take time but I have a burning desire to cross that finishline.  I want to be an ironman.
2008-04-11 7:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I will be going to the hospital today with my sister for a lumpectomy, they told her they are looking for cancer. Say a prayer. Thank you!

Amy IN
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  

of 73