of 150

2011-02-23 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3369383

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
DV 1 - 2011-02-23 4:54 PM

So for three weeks I've been having soreness on my left knee, a week and a half of rest later, and I finally broke down and called the orthopaedic surgeon today for a check-up. It was either that or say f it and start training again. I guess my maturity won out :-

It's not painful, but I know there's something going on. We'll see what he says. My A race plan begins March 19th so I hope to be back at it before then. I really hope he just takes some x-rays and gives me a steroid shot or something and says I'm good to go - $35 copay. He'll probably want to do an MRI which will cost about $600 after insurance. Not sure if I'd go that route at this point.

Will keep my fellow 1/2 iron beginners updated!

We'll keep our fingers crossed.

2011-02-23 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3368331

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-23 8:37 AM

Great swim this am - 2300. Biked for an hour last night with a really short jog after, it felt good considering I did a HM two days prior :-)HORRIBLE weigh in today though. I have gained almost 6 lbs since beginning this plan. Clearly my nutrition is WAY off and I'm obviously to stupid to figure it out. At this rate I'll be switching from Athena to friggin Clyde :-(

I hear you on the weight thing. Up to seven hours a week of cardio and no weight loss in a while. I haven't really changed my diet so calories in vs. out should result in weight loss. Additional muscle mass will certainly account for some of that but still..

I do notice that I'm not as active during the rest of my day. Seems I focus more on training, rest , and recovery. I'm more inclined to lay down and rest after working out instead of mowing the lawn or washing the car.

Edited by popsracer 2011-02-23 5:49 PM
2011-02-23 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3368331

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-23 8:37 AM Great swim this am - 2300. Biked for an hour last night with a really short jog after, it felt good considering I did a HM two days prior :-)HORRIBLE weigh in today though. I have gained almost 6 lbs since beginning this plan. Clearly my nutrition is WAY off and I'm obviously to stupid to figure it out. At this rate I'll be switching from Athena to friggin Clyde :-(

What do you suspect is the problem with your nutrition? For lots of people it's normal to gain weight training for longer distance races and then lose it when the training volume goes back down.
2011-02-23 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3368336

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
miyutris - 2011-02-23 8:38 AM I am in week 1 of the 20 week beginner HIM plan. I did the 16 week olympic (2x, balanced), with 2x a week weight lifting thrown in, leading up to this to get a base.  I thought my volume would initially go down- WRONG!  I am definitely going to have to get used to the 2x per day workouts.  I am ready though... 19 more weeks until Ironman Muncie.

Great! Sounds like you are in great shape and ready to take on the harder training.
2011-02-23 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3369450

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
popsracer - 2011-02-23 5:48 PM
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-23 8:37 AM Great swim this am - 2300. Biked for an hour last night with a really short jog after, it felt good considering I did a HM two days prior :-)HORRIBLE weigh in today though. I have gained almost 6 lbs since beginning this plan. Clearly my nutrition is WAY off and I'm obviously to stupid to figure it out. At this rate I'll be switching from Athena to friggin Clyde :-(
I hear you on the weight thing. Up to seven hours a week of cardio and no weight loss in a while. I haven't really changed my diet so calories in vs. out should result in weight loss. Additional muscle mass will certainly account for some of that but still.. I do notice that I'm not as active during the rest of my day. Seems I focus more on training, rest , and recovery. I'm more inclined to lay down and rest after working out instead of mowing the lawn or washing the car.

This is a huge issue for triathletes. Outside of exercise, we tend to become much lazier than we used to be, and that time lying around is not good for health or weight loss. Additionally, calories in/calories out is not the whole story. Your body becomes more and more efficient at expending energy when you train a lot at lower intensities (like training for a HIM). So the same amount of work takes less calories over time. Additionally, foods have a different metabolic effect in your body. Calories being equal, a higher protein diet will results in higher fat loss than a higher carb/lower protein diet.
There are also some hormonal changes that might occur with high volume training, like raised cortisol. The best time to lose weight is not when volume is high, it's when volume is low (winter off-season).
2011-02-23 8:02 PM

Expert

So for three weeks I've been having soreness on my left knee, a week and a half of rest later, and I finally broke down and called the orthopaedic surgeon today for a check-up. It was either that or say f it and start training again. I guess my maturity won out :-

It's not painful, but I know there's something going on. We'll see what he says. My A race plan begins March 19th so I hope to be back at it before then. I really hope he just takes some x-rays and gives me a steroid shot or something and says I'm good to go - $35 copay. He'll probably want to do an MRI which will cost about $600 after insurance. Not sure if I'd go that route at this point.

Good job of going in to the doctor.  Your health is more valuable than this in terms of time and mind, but even more so in terms of money.  I even think that and I'm broke!  Fingers are crossed though...be safe.

2011-02-24 7:17 AM

User image

Bronze member

Good luck, hope it heals quickly for you.
2011-02-24 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Well.....as suspected....MRI ordered :-(

Not sure If I'll get it done. Doc did all kinds of pressure and flexibility tests, none of which caused pain, and said in all likelyhood it's my hamstring bicep tendon that's inflamed and caussing the pain. Gave me a strong anti-inflamatory and told me to go get the MRI to be sure it wasn't something torn or damaged. Also prescribed PT and the sort.

I don't know about you all, but I don't have $600 for an MRI, and then god knows how much for PT therapy. Then again, I only have one body, so I better take care of it. Good devil bad devil scenario I guess. I need to take some deep breaths and consider all potential options/solutions/consequences.
2011-02-24 1:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson
I haven't done any workout since the crash/stitches on Sunday morning and I feel great!!!!!!!!!  I'll do a 30min stationary bike ride and 30min run on the rollling belt to slowly get back on track.  Good luck on everyone's training!
2011-02-24 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3370457

Expert
DV 1 - 2011-02-24 10:50 AM Well.....as suspected....MRI ordered :-(

Not sure If I'll get it done. Doc did all kinds of pressure and flexibility tests, none of which caused pain, and said in all likelyhood it's my hamstring bicep tendon that's inflamed and caussing the pain. Gave me a strong anti-inflamatory and told me to go get the MRI to be sure it wasn't something torn or damaged. Also prescribed PT and the sort.

I don't know about you all, but I don't have $600 for an MRI, and then god knows how much for PT therapy. Then again, I only have one body, so I better take care of it. Good devil bad devil scenario I guess. I need to take some deep breaths and consider all potential options/solutions/consequences.

If you haven't already, I would have a chat with your insurance company.  This seems over the top and incorrect as a copay.  As somebody who worked for a health insurance company (albeit as a summer intern), I would check on whether this is really correct because this seems astronomical.  I analyzed copays for surgical patients and even with low end plans this seems very high for this type of MRI.  Sometimes a phone call can help. 
2011-02-24 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3370934

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
JG_GreenCoast - 2011-02-24 1:46 PM

DV 1 - 2011-02-24 10:50 AM Well.....as suspected....MRI ordered :-(

If you haven't already, I would have a chat with your insurance company.  This seems over the top and incorrect as a copay.  As somebody who worked for a health insurance company (albeit as a summer intern), I would check on whether this is really correct because this seems astronomical.  I analyzed copays for surgical patients and even with low end plans this seems very high for this type of MRI.  Sometimes a phone call can help. 

If your copay is based on a percent of charges (20% is pretty common) than $600 is not unreasonable. Depending on your healthplan (some limit you to "in network" providers) and if your copay is based on charges, I'd shop around for the best price. According to market data I have for our State, the average for an MRI of the knee w/ & w/o contrast is about $3,500. There can be a huge range of prices from one facility to another. Within my market data, there is a high of $7,000 and a low of $1,700. Generally a freestanding facility (not a hospital) will have cheaper rates. Without an MRI there is a lot of guess work as to what is going on with you.

2011-02-24 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
For the sake of conversation, and then we can move on to real training talk....

The imaging center charges $3900. The insurance accepts $800 so that's what's really billed. I have a $400 up front deductible and then it goes to 20/80. Another $35 for the office visit copay follow-up and it sits at  $515 out of pocket to me. I guess I rounded up cause I was upset :-)

Good swim tonight - 2300 "quality swim"
2011-02-24 9:26 PM

User image

Bronze member
How long have you been dealing with the injury? If your questioning the need for the MRI you might want to try continuing to rest and take the prescription to see if that calms the inflammation for you. Just because you tell the doc you don't want the MRI now does not mean you can't follow through if the other stuff does not work.

I have had two similar situations questioning what to do.

One instance was a pain in my ankle. My podiatrist tried every possible solution before throwing up his hands and requesting the MRI. We did rest, meds, a brace, ultrasound treatments. The MRI found a torn tendon. He could not see that from an X-Ray. I had to wear a boot for 4 weeks and then it was all fixed up. Now, if we would have done the MRI right away it would have saved me about a month trying to figure out what was wrong but I don't regret that we tried everything else first. 

Last year I had a bunch of overuse injuries - shoulder to my knee and everything in between. Went to an orthopedic knee guy (I also had knee pain). He suggested a 40% decrease in my activity level for 10 days, gave me a script and attempted to request an MRI on my first visit. I declined, cut back activity, took the meds and everything cleared up on it's own.

The moral of the story - it's a toss up and I'm injury prone . You have to follow your gut instinct and do what is best for your pocket book AND health.

A couple of more things to ask your doc about are ART or deep tissue massage treatments. You might also look into a foam roller if you don't already have one. Both of these things have helped me a lot this last year - although they are both very painful! Also you can maintain a lot of run fitness by deep water jogging. It is boring but it really worked for me last year.
2011-02-24 9:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I was exhausted tonight and nearly bailed on my hour run. Somehow I still ended up at the gym and figured even half an hour was better than nothing - managed the full hour so I am really happy and full of 'Roar!' lol

I really have no clue what the problem is on the weight. I have contacted a sports nutrition person in the hopes that they can tell me where I am going wrong. Also etting a body analysis done tomorrow. It would be nice if I am full of muscle, however, my jiggly bits scream otherwise LOL
2011-02-24 10:32 PM
in reply to: #3371666

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-24 9:28 PM

I was exhausted tonight and nearly bailed on my hour run. Somehow I still ended up at the gym and figured even half an hour was better than nothing - managed the full hour so I am really happy and full of 'Roar!' lol

I really have no clue what the problem is on the weight. I have contacted a sports nutrition person in the hopes that they can tell me where I am going wrong. Also etting a body analysis done tomorrow. It would be nice if I am full of muscle, however, my jiggly bits scream otherwise LOL

Way to go on your run. Keep us posted on what the nutritionist says.
2011-02-24 11:04 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach

I need to seriously figure out food.  I ran 2 hours today with a very realistic goal pace of 10min miles or better.  However, I just couldn't do it.  I didn't go out too hard or anything (averaging 9-10min miles).  I just didn't have it in me in the final few miles.  It took all of my willpower not to quite running and just walk.  I am not used to running a long run like this in the middle of the day so I didn't know what to eat for lunch.  I am sure that was a big part of my inability to perform (ended up running 10:12 min/miles). 

If you were planning on running 12 miles at 2pm.  What would you eat during the day and when?

2011-02-25 7:09 AM

User image

Bronze member
I would probably eat normal but plan to take some sports drink or a gel during the run.

I'm no expert though!
2011-02-25 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3371749

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
akrenik - 2011-02-24 11:04 PM

I need to seriously figure out food.  I ran 2 hours today with a very realistic goal pace of 10min miles or better.  However, I just couldn't do it.  I didn't go out too hard or anything (averaging 9-10min miles).  I just didn't have it in me in the final few miles.  It took all of my willpower not to quite running and just walk.  I am not used to running a long run like this in the middle of the day so I didn't know what to eat for lunch.  I am sure that was a big part of my inability to perform (ended up running 10:12 min/miles). 

If you were planning on running 12 miles at 2pm.  What would you eat during the day and when?

I'd make sure I had a good breakfast and a fairly light lunch. On runs any longer than one hour I carry a five ounce gel flask that I mix with 3 parts gel, two parts water so it is easier to suck down. On a two hour run I might bring two flasks. Each one is about 300 calories which is about the max your body can absorb in an hour. I start consuming about 30 minutes into my run (or ride) and make sure that I've parsed out at intervals with completion of it 20-30 minutes before the end of my run. It takes a little time for your body to metabolise it so consuming in the last 5 minutes probably wouldn't do you much good. You need to experiment with what your body can tolerate during these longer efforts. It becomes critical during an HIM that you are comfortable with a nutrition plan during the race. Same goes for hydration. Research, experiment, and practice before the race.

Edited by popsracer 2011-02-25 10:58 AM
2011-02-25 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3369450

User image

Indianapolis
Almost done with week 1.  I think I have my schedule more figured out now, so that the 2x per day workouts won't be such a stretch.

I totally empathize with the weight gain issue.  I have been actively tri training for 9 months, with a slow steady increase in volume.  I haven't gained, but certainly haven't lost either.  However, my clothes do fit noticeably better.  I need to get over the "I work out 10 hours a week so I can eat what I want" mentality.  I would really like to lose about 10 pounds.
2011-02-25 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3371749

Expert

My pre-run nutrition is far more important than the liquid or gel i take with me.  I generally take a fuel belt just because I get thirsty and usually do half water and half solution, however, what you eat in the day is most important.

I find fiber and carbs in the morning to be useful for me.  Fiber is not the answer for everyone, but for me, a high fiber cereal like kashi golean crunch or something keeps me feeling pretty full until about noon where I can just eat a very light salad type lunch.  I like a banana an hour or two before the run.  I think the complex carbs should be digested at least 3 hours before, so make that your morning meal.  If you digest dairy well (which I do), think about yogurt and muesli for breakfast.  I generally just stick with breakfast cereals though because they are quick and easy.  

For lunch you should be more careful.  Don't pound carbs right before you run.  I like leafy greens and potassium...with some protein.  I'd say my favorite lunch before is a salad with some grilled chicken, done to your liking.  Definitely portion control here and watch what you drink...i'd stick to water or iced tea or something of the like.  Since you seem to need an extra jolt, i'd try a carb-y meal the night before, too.

Edit: I find it useful to have something that's in neither of these meals that is a "running out the door" extra little bit of nutrition.  Soemthing with some vitamins and nutrients that won't wreck your stomach but is a high energy food.  Usually when I'm running out the door, I grab a handful of almonds mixed with raisins.  Have also found some positives in citrus...oranges and grapefruit.  Less portable.  I love bananas but have to give myself like 30min after eating one.  Good luck...trial and error! 

Edited by JG_GreenCoast 2011-02-25 1:35 PM
2011-02-25 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3372464

Expert
miyutris - 2011-02-25 11:47 AM Almost done with week 1.  I think I have my schedule more figured out now, so that the 2x per day workouts won't be such a stretch.

I totally empathize with the weight gain issue.  I have been actively tri training for 9 months, with a slow steady increase in volume.  I haven't gained, but certainly haven't lost either.  However, my clothes do fit noticeably better.  I need to get over the "I work out 10 hours a week so I can eat what I want" mentality.  I would really like to lose about 10 pounds.

It's always interesting for me to hear about weight.  I think there are a variety of factors that play into it during training but think for the most part that thinking that the training is your time to lose weight is incorrect.  You will be eating less and have more control over your weight in your off season and maintenance periods, which should be the times that you are altering (lowering hopeully) your weight.

I have had a modest change (-4lbs) in 15 weeks of training so far.  It's dipped down a little lower, and come up a little higher, but I find myself averaging 4lbs lighter than I was.  That being said- I eat a ton.  I am never full.  I am eating about 3500kcal/day and having to do so to NOT lose too much weight.  However, I'm definitely mashing together some good workout volume (this is my peak hours week--i'm going nuts!) and I also walk everywhere outside of training.  Prob 3+mi a day of walking.  I don't sit around too much, and generally make good meal time choices.

I eat a mix of healthy and not healthy.  I'd say I get 4/5 meals pretty healthy and I really enjoy at the end of a hard week going for an indulgence meal.   And I mean an indulgence meal.  Something like chinese food--last week it was a double bacon mushroom swiss burger with fries, a milkshake, and onion rings before.  Had a huge cupcake for dessert with a scoop of gelato on the side.  I want my race weight to be like 3lbs lighter than I am now for a net of -7lbs in all.   I'd say make good choices before and after training with food and you won't gain weight.  Running will probably slim you down the most, but if you are close to your healthy weight you won't and shouldn't be shedding tons of lbs during training.

2011-02-26 12:33 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach

So the cold weather today is freaking me out a bit.  brrr!  I am wondering about using a neoprene cap for our swim.  Has anyone out there used one?  Complaints?  I hate ordering things online.  Anyone know where I can pick one up in a store?

2011-02-26 12:35 AM
in reply to: #3372369

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
popsracer - 2011-02-25 8:57 AM

I'd make sure I had a good breakfast and a fairly light lunch. On runs any longer than one hour I carry a five ounce gel flask that I mix with 3 parts gel, two parts water so it is easier to suck down. On a two hour run I might bring two flasks. Each one is about 300 calories which is about the max your body can absorb in an hour. I start consuming about 30 minutes into my run (or ride) and make sure that I've parsed out at intervals with completion of it 20-30 minutes before the end of my run. It takes a little time for your body to metabolise it so consuming in the last 5 minutes probably wouldn't do you much good. You need to experiment with what your body can tolerate during these longer efforts. It becomes critical during an HIM that you are comfortable with a nutrition plan during the race. Same goes for hydration. Research, experiment, and practice before the race.

So do you just squirt the gel into your water bottle before your run?  hmm...maybe I will try that.  (Along with JG's idea of a chicken salad for lunch earlier.)
2011-02-26 1:39 AM
in reply to: #3373310

Expert
akrenik - 2011-02-26 12:35 AM

So do you just squirt the gel into your water bottle before your run?  hmm...maybe I will try that.  (Along with JG's idea of a chicken salad for lunch earlier.)

I've never mixed gel in to a water bottle, interessting idea! I will have to try it.  What I do is take a fuel belt on long run with 16oz solution and 16oz water and also take a GU gel or something.  On a hot day (or really on any day) gu or powerbar gel can be pretty gross.  I generally just deal with it but I can see how mixing it would be good.  I think carrying pre-mixed solution at least (powder mix with water) is essential--just some type of calories you dont mind taking in. 
2011-02-26 3:05 AM
in reply to: #3373310

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
akrenik - 2011-02-26 12:35 AM

No. I premix the gel with water into the small 5 oz. flask and just sip off it. I find straight gel just too thick and syrupy.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150