BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2012-01-11 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Open

Elizabeth, do you already have google account?  If you do then you need to go into it and request access to my calendar (if you don't have my email address I will PM it to you) and once I approve it should work.

Chris - I see on your logs that it shows the overall time for your swim.  If you want it to log the individual portions of the swim you need to enter the first set of data (200m warmup as you listed) then click Add Another Swim Workout.  Let me know if I am missing something.

2012-01-11 12:53 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Sorry for all of the posts but Shelly did you see that the 5150 for NOLA is set for June 24th?  I am considering doing it. 
2012-01-11 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Sparta
Welcome Brady and Chris. Did my first Sprint Tri last July and am looking forward to another 3 this year. This is a great group, and on the days when you doubt, just post a message or read some old posts and you will feel encouraged. Enjoy!
2012-01-11 3:26 PM

Hey Gary, My name is Jimmy. I live right outside Baton Rouge in Central!Not sure how many here are locals but it's cool to find one that is.I am a yoyo runner. Just quit the smokes and started running againon the first. Only put in about 100 miles last year. I'm a scubadiver from Galveston and have been on bikes all my life. I have the foundation to getInto the Triathalon gig but am not in shape to do one so soon. I havean interest in it and am by no means overweight. I'm also in decent shape.I was wondering if this would be a good fit for me? I think I would like it. Thought about the Oxbow in new roads but I'm not sure I could be in shape by then. I think I'm going to do the warrior dash in October. A little silly but looks like a good first race. Thanks for your time. Jimmy.

Edited by Texas77 2012-01-11 7:51 PM
2012-01-11 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3984649

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Texas77 - 2012-01-11 3:26 PM Hey Gary, My name is Jimmy. I live right outside Baton Rouge in Central!Not sure how many here are locals but it's cool to find one that is.I am a yoyo runner. Just quit the smokes and started running againon the first. Only put in about 100 miles last year. I'm a scubadiver from Galveston and have been on bikes all my life. I have the foundation to getInto the Triathalon gig but am not in shape to do so soon. I havean interest in it and am by no means overweight. I'm also in decent shape.I was wondering if this would be a good fit for me? Thanks.

Jimmy, absolutely!  I do believe our group would be a great fit.  We have folks of all skill levels from beginners to those with lots of experience.  You are most welcome to join this group.

A side note, do you ride the Alligator Bayou area or any of the group rides (BRBC or BRTri)?  Central is a bit of a haul but not too far from where I live.

2012-01-11 8:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Danggg ... I go out of town for a few days, come back and the group has filled up.  Welcome Brady, Chris and Jimmy.  There are several 1st timers in the group ... myself included ... who can share experiences on gear, training, frustrations, and other so ask away. 

Liz ... sounds like the shoes.  Just a thought - Runnersworld.com has a shoe fit finder on the home page, so you might take a look at this.  Zappos has pretty good pricing as well.  I would not recommend buying a 'strange' shoe on line.  I would buy one on-line which I've previously owned ... same shoe, size and brand, etc.

I was going to mention a similar issue - with my increase in running I've began to have some soreness in my feet in the heel area.  Shoes have

2012-01-11 8:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Oh and Liz ... read your post on Jan 4th wherein your were headed to the pool - "it's going to be rough".   I would not classify 1200 meters in 20 minutes as rough
2012-01-11 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3984237

User image

Expert
Hammond

GaryRM - 2012-01-11 12:53 PM Sorry for all of the posts but Shelly did you see that the 5150 for NOLA is set for June 24th?  I am considering doing it. 

I didn't Gary. I'm supposed to be getting my tail in gear and picking races but I just haven't had the time. However, a 5150 is just not doable for me. I am just getting to where I can do 800-1200m in the pool without too much difficulty and I definitely can't do a 10k. It really is just too much on my heart. I may volunteer though. I love being there and being a part of it, I just can't be a participant. Who knows maybe after I get my 910 and tailor my training to my heart rate it will get better. We'll see- but not in the cards for now.

Shelly

P.S. Good luck Sunday- are you still running?

2012-01-11 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3982286

User image

Master
St. Louis

elizabethk - 2012-01-10 2:39 PM Welcome new members! Question for the group. My plantar fascitis is flaring up. Sucks. I trained all summer and fall for a marathon and didnt have any problems whatsoever but I mostly trained on flat asphalt. Do you think my PF is flaring because 1) I'm mostly running uneven hilly trails now, 2) I need new shoes (at around 300 miles, usu go to 400 bc I'm cheap, 3) I've started cycling regularly again and something about how my cycling shoes hold my foot is causing it, or 4) none of the above. Thoughts? I just started my HIM training plan (22 weeks out) and cant run!!! I need to get this figured out - I hate aqua-jogging.

Sorry, I have no idea why it would flare up. I'll share what worked for my pf a couple years ago.  Get a couple softballs from Walmart and roll your feet around on them finding the knots and applying pressure on the sore spots.  If you are really brave, try standing on them (supporting most of your weight on a counter or table).  Start with just a few seconds because it will hurt bad (like almost crying bad), but slowly build up.  I got to the point I could stand on them and roll my feet around for a couple minutes (it took weeks to build up to that).  After that, my pf was gone.

2012-01-11 9:25 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Welcome Brady, Chris and Jimmy!  There are no dumb questions, so don't be shy.
2012-01-11 9:41 PM
in reply to: #3985215

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-11 9:09 PM

GaryRM - 2012-01-11 12:53 PM Sorry for all of the posts but Shelly did you see that the 5150 for NOLA is set for June 24th?  I am considering doing it. 

I didn't Gary. I'm supposed to be getting my tail in gear and picking races but I just haven't had the time. However, a 5150 is just not doable for me. I am just getting to where I can do 800-1200m in the pool without too much difficulty and I definitely can't do a 10k. It really is just too much on my heart. I may volunteer though. I love being there and being a part of it, I just can't be a participant. Who knows maybe after I get my 910 and tailor my training to my heart rate it will get better. We'll see- but not in the cards for now.

Shelly

P.S. Good luck Sunday- are you still running?

Nope, turns out wife will be out of town and no sitter.  @#$@#$@#$!!!!!

As for the 5150 I completely understand, especially the 10k, but you may consider a relay team.   Just a thought.

2012-01-12 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3984878

How do I join? And are there obligations? You asked about riding, I've never rode road bikes. I ride mountain bikes on the brec trails on hooper road and sometimes from the new state capital to the lakes and back via the levee. My son is 2.5 and that's probably how long it's been since I rode.
2012-01-12 8:55 AM

User image

Keller
Question for the veteran runners. Are there any positive points about running on a treadmill? What are the negatives? It's a real convenience, and I think it's improving my 'cadence' (?) by forcing me to use shorter/quicker strides. But- I wanted some feedback.
2012-01-12 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3985846

Veteran
stratigos - 2012-01-12 8:55 AM

Question for the veteran runners. Are there any positive points about running on a treadmill? What are the negatives? It's a real convenience, and I think it's improving my 'cadence' (?) by forcing me to use shorter/quicker strides. But- I wanted some feedback.

Its better than not running at all, its mindless, you dont have to think, worry about traffic, and can totally zone out. You also cant cheat on your speed. I use it when I really cant motivate for a run outside or the weather it total crap. I know that you're supposed to put in on a 1% incline or something like that to mimic outdoor running better. I also use it to work on form, cadence, that sort of thing.
2012-01-12 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3985846

Hey, I'm no vet. Bit I've heard they are bad on the joints for the most part. I only use mine when I absolutely have to. Keeps you dry and warm, that's about it. Others with more experience may say otherwise.
2012-01-12 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3985785

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Texas77 - 2012-01-12 8:39 AM How do I join? And are there obligations? You asked about riding, I've never rode road bikes. I ride mountain bikes on the brec trails on hooper road and sometimes from the new state capital to the lakes and back via the levee. My son is 2.5 and that's probably how long it's been since I rode.

As for joining you must chant "Gary is great" three times and promise a free (root) beer for me in the future, then you are done.  Obligations are post to the group when you can, answer questions when you can, always remember that once you join the group you are a member.  Even if you disappear for awhile you can come back (that goes for anyone who has ever joined this group).

2012-01-12 12:27 PM

G is G thrice + a root brew!
2012-01-12 1:24 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

Ran for 5k today in 29:28, which was nice considering the body wasn't feeling so good a 1/4 mile in and I felt like shutting it down.

The pace is about the norm for me (I've never really trained to run before).  I'm just more impressed with the motivation I had to actually finish what I started.

Already looking for to that swim at 5:15am tomorrow.

Also was able to go in and figure out how to manage the training log function.  Have it updated starting this past Sunday and will keep it updated going forward.

Edited by ccoffin 2012-01-12 1:53 PM
2012-01-12 2:53 PM

Thanks for the welcomes! I would love to one day do a real iroman. But for now I'll start w/a 5k and go from there. Probably start riding my mountain bike as well. Dont have a road bike but have a lot oc bike experience. Im also a decent swimmer. Been in the h2o all my life. hax to do about 3 to 400 yards for my open water scuba. I think? Its been a while. Im going to enter an a race thats in Oct. Called the Warrior Dash? It looks pretty cool. Like a 5k w/ obsticles! Ill do at least a couple of small races before then and work up to something grander. Not sure were to swim laps around here? I guess i shoulx have some centuries and marathons under my belt before I even think about a true Tri. Those sprints look attainable in the near future though. Any tips for progression would be welcome. Doing this all solo. No buddy. Dont want to injure. Tend to push to hard sometimes. Thanks!
2012-01-12 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3986070

Hi!

Name: Dragos

I am a total newbie but I hope I can join.

I am reading a lot lately about triathlon racing and started preparing for my first triathlon. 

I always loved all kinds of sports and after doing a half marathon last autumn (1h 58')I decided to get prepared for triathlon races. I started training almost two weeks ago. I am 24 years old, 5'10" and 152 lbs and I am highly competitive and plan to train as hard as I can.

I would like to do a half marathon at end of may, a sprint triathlon in mid july, and then move on up to an olympic in august and september. Meanwhile I plan to compete in some cycling events to get familiar to racing and all kinds of other events but I need coaching as I don't know for how much I should aim in my first year.

This is the starting point, I am confident I can improve fast!

2012-01-12 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3987088

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
ionita.dragos87 - 2012-01-12 4:05 PM

Hi!

Name: Dragos

I am a total newbie but I hope I can join.

I am reading a lot lately about triathlon racing and started preparing for my first triathlon. 

I always loved all kinds of sports and after doing a half marathon last autumn (1h 58')I decided to get prepared for triathlon races. I started training almost two weeks ago. I am 24 years old, 5'10" and 152 lbs and I am highly competitive and plan to train as hard as I can.

I would like to do a half marathon at end of may, a sprint triathlon in mid july, and then move on up to an olympic in august and september. Meanwhile I plan to compete in some cycling events to get familiar to racing and all kinds of other events but I need coaching as I don't know for how much I should aim in my first year.

This is the starting point, I am confident I can improve fast!

Dragos, Welcome!!!! You will fit in quite nicely here.  Please make sure to read the emails over that last few days to catch up on some of the house keeping items.

2012-01-12 9:52 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Jimmy - I saw your comment about "marathons and centuries before doing a Tri".   Now if you are referring to a full (ironman) that might be the case but you really should consider doing a short distance tri first.  Either way you should checkout the plans on this site (and others) to help you with your training.  People tend to overtrain and forget the power of rest days and the plans on this site will help with that.

Brady - are you in Wisconsin?

Tracy - my two cents on TM's.  Necessary evil, I had heard they were actually easier on the joints then running on the road so I am interested to hear if that is not true.  I have also heard to better simulate the road also set the incline to 1-2%.

Got a short swim in at lunch and then almost 6 miles tonight.  Now off to bed, later all!!

2012-01-13 7:19 AM

Hi!!!!My name is Stephanie (age 22) and I am soooooo new at this and kind of scared. Just learning and researching more on triathelons as well. My goal is to complete my first race by the end of the year or die trying (especially during the swim) lol. But I have high ambitions and will commit to complete it.I LOVE sports and running and biking. But as you may have noticed swimming is not my strongest suit. So I plan on doing bike/run races within the year and by the end of the year go with the big boys and head for my first Triathelon. I going to train long and hard this year and am ready to start!!!I'm excited for this forum because I don't know how to start training, so I'll just start something for now. If 2012 supposed to be the end of the world, I'm going to end it with a Bang and a Tri!!!
2012-01-13 7:40 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Stephanie - Welcome!  Join in and ask any and all questions.  If you get a chance to read this thread from the beginning you will find lots of great tips and tricks.  As for swimming, when I decided to do tris I could not swim 25 yards.  Took lessons and 3 months later finished my first tri (granted I was very slow).  Getting into that water scared me to death but I am in firm belief that facing your fears is probably one of the toughest part of triathlons.  I am so glad that I faced my fear and beat it and I am definitely the poster boy if I can do it anyone can.

Also, PM me your email address and I will add you to our calendar where you can add your races.

BTW, Everyone wish Shelly good luck on her 5k tomorrow!  Go Shelly!!!

2012-01-13 8:11 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

Hi Stephanie.

I'm as new to this as you are, well, it looks like I have a two week head start.

The last 15 years of my life or so, my idea of swimming has been floating in the lake drinking as many beers as possible, or some wakeboarding and skiing.  I just decided about a month ago to start doing tri's, and like most, I worried about not being able to finish the swim.  I found a really nice beginner's swim workout (3x's per week) on this site that I have been following.  It hasn't been near as difficult as I thought it would be and I'm already noticing some very positive results only 4 workouts in.  If you're interested, I can dig up the link and you can have a look at it.

Gary is right too.  I went back and read all the previous threads when I first joined the group and found many helpful tips, especially regarding swimming.

Good luck!

Got an 800m interval swim in this morning.  Will be working on these massive arms this afternoon.  And by massive, I mean, chicken wings.

Good luck in that 5k Shelly!  If you run faster than everyone else, you'll have no problems...

Edited by ccoffin 2012-01-13 8:11 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115