BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-07-12 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3592092

User image

Expert
San Jose
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED
Mike_D - 2011-07-12 4:35 AM

Lots of questions this AM -- feel free to chime in on any/all topics!

1. workouts between races -- I have a few races coming up this summer; 7/23, 7/31, 8/28, 9/11, and maybe 9/18. All sprints. Between the races, what is a good approach to training? Just keep going w/ SBR? I have no plan I'm following (which drives me nuts) and I'm not even sure where to start w/ a plan given the times between races. Should I take a 'maintenance' type approach? I'm lost plan wise after the crappy spring I had.

Is there a plan you can find here on BT? You can use it as a guideline and make changes pre and post race. I find it easier to be consistent if I have my week planned ahead.

2. Nutrition/weight -- I seem to ahve gained about 10 pounds in the past 2 months, and I'm not happy. My eating has been spotty, with good days, and not so good days. Coupled with my erratic work outs, its not a big surprise. I'm aiming to lose about 15 pounds in the next 12 weeks. I need consistency in my workouts (see item #1!) and better eating. Any suggestions here?

Log what you are eating/drinking. Calories add up faster then we think

3. Off season work outs --- how do you plan out off season workouts? This fall/winter will be my first real 'off season', and I'd like to come out next spring ready to rumble . Should I plan out 2012 and see what races I want to do, and plan workouts toward that? I know there are many maintenace plans on BT. Do folks just string a couple together to get through the winter?

Yes to all! I try to plan my big races ahead of time then I work around that. For example, I have a big run race in early February so after tri season is over I'll follow my training plan for the run and incorporate a winter maintenance plan. After the run, it's back to base kind of training. 

4. I'm still irritated about missing my planned half marathon back in March. I've found another in late October, and have built a plan to run that one (assuming no injuries!). Does it seem reasonable to integrate the run training for the HM into workouts around the sprint races I have planned. I'll likely need to rearrange some of the planning as the 'long runs' are planned for Sunday, the same day most of the sprints happen.

That should work as long as you have time another day to get the long runs in.

5. Do any of you belong to a tri club? Do you feel it makes the sport more social, and is helpful to your overall interest/training?

No, I've thought about it because I think there are a lot of benefits to group training but for now I don't want another commitment.

So, overall I'm feeling like I'm sort of just floating in space without much direction. Also had a lousy run this AM, planned 4 miles, made only 2.5 (Lets just say the need to address the sudden call of nature forces this one to end early). Run felt OK, but I'm just trying to work through some frustrations right now it seems.

2011-07-13 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Signed up my 8 year old for her first tri...50 yards, 2 mile bike, 1/2 mile run. 13 year old wanted in, then I decided to do it and talked DH into it. Made it a family affair!
2011-07-13 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3594351

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
nadaswimmer - 2011-07-13 9:50 AM Signed up my 8 year old for her first tri...50 yards, 2 mile bike, 1/2 mile run. 13 year old wanted in, then I decided to do it and talked DH into it. Made it a family affair!

That is awesome! We had a kids tri @ the local Y last month, but I couldn't convince either of my girls to enter. I think they would have loved it! Maybe next year.

Good luck to your crew!
2011-07-13 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3594385

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Mike_D - 2011-07-13 10:11 AM
nadaswimmer - 2011-07-13 9:50 AM Signed up my 8 year old for her first tri...50 yards, 2 mile bike, 1/2 mile run. 13 year old wanted in, then I decided to do it and talked DH into it. Made it a family affair!

That is awesome! We had a kids tri @ the local Y last month, but I couldn't convince either of my girls to enter. I think they would have loved it! Maybe next year.

Good luck to your crew!

Sounds like fun.  Just don't get upset when both little ones beat you -- I've got experience on this front!

Edited by croixfan 2011-07-13 2:02 PM
2011-07-13 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3590234

User image

Master
Dunedin
50andgettingfit - 2011-07-11 10:42 AM

Does anyone write up a race plan before their races? I'm going to work on mine today and if anyone is interested I can show you what it looks like. I've used one my last few races and it helps keep me on track.

Johanne

I haven't necessarily written anything down, but I use visualization for a plan of action.  I'll close my eyes (at night when I'm trying to fall asleep or in the car ride to the race) and I try to see myself executing the race.  I see what my race would look like if it was a perfect race and I also do this with common issues during a race: leaky goggles, flat tire, bonking on the run, etc.  It helps me feel better prepared!  We learned about it during a sports psych class-athletes do perform better when they visualize a successful race.  Give it a try!

2011-07-13 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3591978

User image

Master
Dunedin
suzielea - 2011-07-12 2:41 AM

Sara - the main barriers are that I am not very confident on the bike, and have been avoiding it for the last month, lol plus I'll be doing it on my own as the people I do my other races with don't even have bikes so wouldn't be able to compete at all, lol. I may be able to talk them in to coming to watch though. If I can find the time that it starts - not in the details I have found - I may be able to get there by bus though as there's one going from a couple of suburbs over that I can connect to via train or bus.

I was not confident at all on the bike when I first started tri.  It took time to find a place where I felt comfortable riding and then I graduated to busier streets.  Finding like-minded people nearby will help motivate you to ride and they can teach you so much.  Do you have any cycling groups in your area?  Maybe you could do a quick Google search to see if there is a bicycle club?  Or, stop by a bike shop and ask them how to meet people who are beginners or welcome beginner riders.

2011-07-13 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3592092

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mike_D - 2011-07-12 7:35 AM

1. workouts between races -- I have a few races coming up this summer; 7/23, 7/31, 8/28, 9/11, and maybe 9/18. All sprints. Between the races, what is a good approach to training? Just keep going w/ SBR? I have no plan I'm following (which drives me nuts) and I'm not even sure where to start w/ a plan given the times between races. Should I take a 'maintenance' type approach? I'm lost plan wise after the crappy spring I had.

If you're floating around and not having something to work for, it makes it easier to keep floating.  Find a reason to make a race an "A" race though... maybe if you can repeat the race next year it will give you a time to beat.  I would look through the free sprint distance plans on BT and pick one of those races (either 8/28 or 9/11 perhaps) to call an "A" race.  Some are 16 weeks long.  After you pick your A race, figure out what week you "should" be in according to the plan and go from there.  Use the races between now and the A race as supported training sessions with a little extra oomph.

2. Nutrition/weight -- I seem to ahve gained about 10 pounds in the past 2 months, and I'm not happy. My eating has been spotty, with good days, and not so good days. Coupled with my erratic work outs, its not a big surprise. I'm aiming to lose about 15 pounds in the next 12 weeks. I need consistency in my workouts (see item #1!) and better eating. Any suggestions here?

You may be able to lose 15 pounds in 12 weeks, but can you keep it off indefinitely by maintaining the changes you made to lose that weight?  Can you keep those 15 lbs off in one month? 6 months? 6 years?  If you focus on weight loss for the short term, you may not be able to maintain the weight loss.  It stresses your body more when you yo-yo rather than maintain a higher weight.

Your erratic training sessions may unintentionally cause you to eat more (some of us think 'hey, I had a good run, so I deserve "X, Y and/or Z"").  I gained almost 10 lbs when I trained for my Ironman, and it was NOT all muscle!!  It's so much easier to eat 300 calories than to burn 300 calories.  On the nutrition side, I suggest taking advantage of summer crops and going to town on fresh fruits and vegetables.  For example, a salad (before dressing) may have 50-100 calories.  Two slices of pizza could have well over 400 calories if you have meat toppings.  Think nutrition dense, not calorie dense. 

Also, remember with weight loss than you don't want to lose lean muscle. Most people want to lose fat, but I don't know if it's reasonable to think a 15 lb weight loss in 12 weeks would be all fat and not just water, fat, and muscle.

3. Off season work outs --- how do you plan out off season workouts? This fall/winter will be my first real 'off season', and I'd like to come out next spring ready to rumble . Should I plan out 2012 and see what races I want to do, and plan workouts toward that? I know there are many maintenace plans on BT. Do folks just string a couple together to get through the winter?

It be interesting to hear other people's thoughts on this.  If you've had a season plagued by injuries, I would take the winter to just enjoy life.  Remember, S/B/R is supposed to be fun!  However, I've reached points in training where I'd pay a person to not have to get on my bike.  Use this time to start a strength training routine.  Build muscle and work on balance so that you can start 2012 healthy with good strong muscles.  Try sports you've neglected: basketball, tennis, shuffleboard...  S/B/R only when you crave it or take classes and do S/B/R with a group so it is fun and you are meeting new peeps.

4. I'm still irritated about missing my planned half marathon back in March. I've found another in late October, and have built a plan to run that one (assuming no injuries!). Does it seem reasonable to integrate the run training for the HM into workouts around the sprint races I have planned. I'll likely need to rearrange some of the planning as the 'long runs' are planned for Sunday, the same day most of the sprints happen.

Since you can't guarantee you'll be injury free, this seems like a race that you may want to put off.  But, if you think Sara is full of $hit (ha! it's possible!) you can definitely work HM training into sprint training.  I did a full marathon in November one year and did sprint/oly through October.  I just put running as the priority if time was short for training.

5. Do any of you belong to a tri club? Do you feel it makes the sport more social, and is helpful to your overall interest/training?

I would be absolutely lost without our triathlon club.  When we formed in January 2010, I was sort of bummed that we weren't going to be a club that pushed each other at every training session and race.  It was decided we'd be a social club with a triathlon problem.  Boy, am I glad this is the case!  Our members rock.  It's such a supportive environment.  It's like seeing a long lost friend when we're at tri races or in road races.  I'd highly recommend it.  There's always someone to push you when you need it or someone to go run or ride for kicks.  Promptly followed by a beer. =)  Plus, members come from diverse backgrounds.  I've given away tons of swim and nutrition advice and in return I've received free running/biking advice which has made me a better athlete. It's so win-win!

So, overall I'm feeling like I'm sort of just floating in space without much direction. Also had a lousy run this AM, planned 4 miles, made only 2.5 (Lets just say the need to address the sudden call of nature forces this one to end early). Run felt OK, but I'm just trying to work through some frustrations right now it seems.

Hope you break out of the funk!

2011-07-13 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Hey all, its good to see everyone so active! I finally broke out of my semi-funk from this last weekend (I think I just needed a few days of rest!) and I am back to training as of tonight. I have a Dr's appointment next Wednesday (earliest I could get! grrr!) to see if there is an asthma issue or a mental issue. I also am looking into visiting a chiropractor as well to deal with a bit of pain around my hip thats been on and off for the last 2 months--thankfully, my healthplan covers chiros, AND the one that my coach uses and recommends is within my healthplan as well! So I just need to set that one up.

To answer at least one of Mike D's questions, I also belong to a tri club--SacTriClub--its local, and its also how I was able to meet my coach. Its very inclusive, with lots of member led FREE workouts and classes, plus discounts and reserved racks at races. I don't know if all clubs are like this one, but I know I would be nowhere near where I am without mine.

2011-07-13 6:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

We love you Sara!!!  Seriously, we really appreciate the support you give us and how you provide it.  Always enjoy reading your guidance to the group and use more of it than you can imagine.

Thanks for helping us all out!

2011-07-14 12:33 AM

Extreme Veteran

Nada - love the family tri idea

Sara - there are a few bike clubs around. I saw them in out termly learning/community directory - but they all look a tad bit advanced for me. I may look in to them a bit more when I'm confident that I can ride to where they start their rides/conduct their stuff though - I'd have to ride there cos the car we have isn't big enough to take the bike, lol.

Kate - glad the rest helped. Hope the training and dr's appt go well.

Did my 2nd yoga session - using a dvd - and I'm making some progress. I can pretty much do easy options of all poses in the workout except "downward facing dog" but I'm working on it. OH and I can't hold plank for the full time either - even on my knees - but again I'm working on it.

2011-07-14 5:56 AM
in reply to: #3595086

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
WittyCityGirl - 2011-07-13 3:09 PM
Mike_D - 2011-07-12 7:35 AM

If you're floating around and not having something to work for, it makes it easier to keep floating.  Find a reason to make a race an "A" race though... maybe if you can repeat the race next year it will give you a time to beat.  I would look through the free sprint distance plans on BT and pick one of those races (either 8/28 or 9/11 perhaps) to call an "A" race.  Some are 16 weeks long.  After you pick your A race, figure out what week you "should" be in according to the plan and go from there.  Use the races between now and the A race as supported training sessions with a little extra oomph.

You may be able to lose 15 pounds in 12 weeks, but can you keep it off indefinitely by maintaining the changes you made to lose that weight?  Can you keep those 15 lbs off in one month? 6 months? 6 years?  If you focus on weight loss for the short term, you may not be able to maintain the weight loss.  It stresses your body more when you yo-yo rather than maintain a higher weight.

Your erratic training sessions may unintentionally cause you to eat more (some of us think 'hey, I had a good run, so I deserve "X, Y and/or Z"").  I gained almost 10 lbs when I trained for my Ironman, and it was NOT all muscle!!  It's so much easier to eat 300 calories than to burn 300 calories.  On the nutrition side, I suggest taking advantage of summer crops and going to town on fresh fruits and vegetables.  For example, a salad (before dressing) may have 50-100 calories.  Two slices of pizza could have well over 400 calories if you have meat toppings.  Think nutrition dense, not calorie dense. 

Also, remember with weight loss than you don't want to lose lean muscle. Most people want to lose fat, but I don't know if it's reasonable to think a 15 lb weight loss in 12 weeks would be all fat and not just water, fat, and muscle.

It be interesting to hear other people's thoughts on this.  If you've had a season plagued by injuries, I would take the winter to just enjoy life.  Remember, S/B/R is supposed to be fun!  However, I've reached points in training where I'd pay a person to not have to get on my bike.  Use this time to start a strength training routine.  Build muscle and work on balance so that you can start 2012 healthy with good strong muscles.  Try sports you've neglected: basketball, tennis, shuffleboard...  S/B/R only when you crave it or take classes and do S/B/R with a group so it is fun and you are meeting new peeps.

Since you can't guarantee you'll be injury free, this seems like a race that you may want to put off.  But, if you think Sara is full of $hit (ha! it's possible!) you can definitely work HM training into sprint training.  I did a full marathon in November one year and did sprint/oly through October.  I just put running as the priority if time was short for training.

I would be absolutely lost without our triathlon club.  When we formed in January 2010, I was sort of bummed that we weren't going to be a club that pushed each other at every training session and race.  It was decided we'd be a social club with a triathlon problem.  Boy, am I glad this is the case!  Our members rock.  It's such a supportive environment.  It's like seeing a long lost friend when we're at tri races or in road races.  I'd highly recommend it.  There's always someone to push you when you need it or someone to go run or ride for kicks.  Promptly followed by a beer. =)  Plus, members come from diverse backgrounds.  I've given away tons of swim and nutrition advice and in return I've received free running/biking advice which has made me a better athlete. It's so win-win!

Hope you break out of the funk!

We have a winner! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of repeating a race from last year and using it as an A race. The one I'll do is the first tri I ever did solo last September. I think I can still get in. Its still 9 weeks out, and I'd have plenty of time to get a plan together from BT and follow that. Would help me get in consistent workouts, and have a real goal, other than floating.  Thanks for the idea. Will be interesting to see how I do versus last year.

The weight issue is more of my lack of eating dicipline than anything. Yes, I do occastionally have the "well, I'll just work it off tomorrow" attitude, but overall, I've just sort of lost my way with smart eating. Too much garbage. I've started logging all my food again, and that was something which helped quite a bit.

Still undecided on the Half mary, and I guess I'll see how the next couple weeks go. It would be a good goal to have, but I'm not willing to blow up my foot for it.

I do plan on branching out a bit exercise wise over the winter. While I will likely follow some sort of maintenance plan, I also plan to go back to my weekend fitness bootcamp classes, an maybe get some work in on a program for strength training.

Thanks, Sara!! I truly appreciate the info!

2011-07-14 10:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Got back in the pool in earnest this PM.  Did 1000 yards straight in 29:03.  Slow, but held the form OK and felt good afterwards!!!  Have a potential sprint tri in 2 weeks with an OWS -- the one that ate my lunch last year.  Going to see how the next couple of weeks go and possibly take it on again.
2011-07-15 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin

nadaswimmer - 2011-07-13 10:50 AM Signed up my 8 year old for her first tri...50 yards, 2 mile bike, 1/2 mile run. 13 year old wanted in, then I decided to do it and talked DH into it. Made it a family affair!

That's awesome!!

2011-07-15 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3595400

User image

Master
Dunedin
croixfan - 2011-07-13 7:30 PM

We love you Sara!!!  Seriously, we really appreciate the support you give us and how you provide it.  Always enjoy reading your guidance to the group and use more of it than you can imagine.

Thanks for helping us all out!

Glad I can help!!  I love the mentor group idea, so glad BT does it. =)  Hopefully, some of YOU are thinking about mentoring your own group in the future!

2011-07-15 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3595675

User image

Master
Dunedin
suzielea - 2011-07-14 1:33 AM

Did my 2nd yoga session - using a dvd - and I'm making some progress. I can pretty much do easy options of all poses in the workout except "downward facing dog" but I'm working on it. OH and I can't hold plank for the full time either - even on my knees - but again I'm working on it.

Keep it up!  Some athletes forget that there's more to swim/bike/run and they forget nutrition, rest, strength and STREEEETCHING.  Keep working on plank! It's SOOO good for your swimming!  Downward facing dog will feel great once you get the hang of it.  I do it before races!

2011-07-15 8:44 AM

User image

Mike,

My diet has improved this past month. I am swearing by grapefruit right now...not exclusively! No grapefruit diet for me, but rather I use it to curb my appetite. I can go without snacks when I eat a half of a grapefruit with my meals. Not sure why it works, but it seems to.

2011-07-15 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3595739

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mike_D - 2011-07-14 6:56 AM

We have a winner! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of repeating a race from last year and using it as an A race. The one I'll do is the first tri I ever did solo last September. I think I can still get in. Its still 9 weeks out, and I'd have plenty of time to get a plan together from BT and follow that. Would help me get in consistent workouts, and have a real goal, other than floating.  Thanks for the idea. Will be interesting to see how I do versus last year.

The weight issue is more of my lack of eating dicipline than anything. Yes, I do occastionally have the "well, I'll just work it off tomorrow" attitude, but overall, I've just sort of lost my way with smart eating. Too much garbage. I've started logging all my food again, and that was something which helped quite a bit.

Still undecided on the Half mary, and I guess I'll see how the next couple weeks go. It would be a good goal to have, but I'm not willing to blow up my foot for it.

I do plan on branching out a bit exercise wise over the winter. While I will likely follow some sort of maintenance plan, I also plan to go back to my weekend fitness bootcamp classes, an maybe get some work in on a program for strength training.

Thanks, Sara!! I truly appreciate the info!

Great! That's what the mentor group is all about.  =)

2011-07-15 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3597463

User image

Master
Dunedin

croixfan - 2011-07-14 11:07 PM Got back in the pool in earnest this PM.  Did 1000 yards straight in 29:03.  Slow, but held the form OK and felt good afterwards!!!  Have a potential sprint tri in 2 weeks with an OWS -- the one that ate my lunch last year.  Going to see how the next couple of weeks go and possibly take it on again.

Nice job!  When you're ready for the next challenge, try to negative split your 1,000 yd swim if you don't do this already.  That means... You could swim the first 500 yards in 15 minutes and swim the next 500 yards in 14 minutes to equal 29 minutes.  Then... the next time swim that 2nd 500 yards faster than that! Very similar to a tri race strategy. Get into your groove and kick it up a smidge to take you to the exit and head for T1. =)

2011-07-15 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3597874

User image

Master
Dunedin
nadaswimmer - 2011-07-15 9:44 AM

Mike,

My diet has improved this past month. I am swearing by grapefruit right now...not exclusively! No grapefruit diet for me, but rather I use it to curb my appetite. I can go without snacks when I eat a half of a grapefruit with my meals. Not sure why it works, but it seems to.

Laura, nice job adding fruit to your diet with the grapefruit!

There's something called taste satiety.  Which means that you've become "full" by eating a certain kind of taste (bland, salty, sugary, etc).  It's the reason why we can be stuffed at Thanksgiving (savory foods), but once that pumpkin pie comes out, VOILA! We suddenly have room for more.  So, grapefruit in all it's tart glory triggers your body that it's full sooner since we're not necessarily geared to seek out tart things.  Humans like sugar and fat because instincts want us to take in lots of calories. 

The water and fiber in a grapefruit isn't going to empty from our stomach super quick-so you won't be starving right away.  But, some people may eat a snack or meal sooner because there isn't fat or protein to slow digestion (unless you're eating other things with breakfast that aren't starchy), and that's just fine. 

2011-07-15 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I just bought a new wetsuit, and from the BT classifieds no less. Guess I'm stepping up my committment to tri races .  My current suit is more of a surfer type, and isn't the rubber/neoprene surfaced type. On my last race, I notices the arms were absorbing a bit of water as I went along, and thats not exactly the type of behavior one wants from a wetsuit during a race.
2011-07-15 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Like the idea of the negative split target Sara.  I'll work on that over the next couple of weeks.  Today was another Friday vacation day -- using my vacation one day at a time and love it!!!  After a lousy 18 holes this AM, hit the pool mid-afternoon.  Did another 1000 yards straight.  It went very well and I felt comfortable.  Didn't quite negative it, but pushed on the second half more than I would have.  Got home and went out for a short, fast run.  Felt great -- both cardio and legs.

Think two things have helped me immensly over the past couple of weeks.  First was totally going cold turkey on the ibuprofen.  While it was painful the first couple of days/work outs, I'm not feeling it any more.  Maybe it's in the mind, but my muscles feel better and more alive.  Plus the joint pain is not there.  Go figure.  Second is last weeks "exercise to failure" on the bike.  I've been hesitant to really push myself / "open up the engine".  Think last week might have been the equivalent of "blowing the gunk out of the carburators" and loosening my body up a bit.  I'm not going to go crazy, but am optimistic that I can push the volume and intensity a bit over the coming month.

Big target is the OWS two weeks from today.  Over the next 7-10 days I need to convince myself I can do it.  Still have a big, ugly memory of last year and I need to beat the demon!!!

Have a great weekend.  We're starting ours by hosting my work group for a steak and shrimp BBQ at my house.

2011-07-16 3:46 AM
in reply to: #3597771

Extreme Veteran
WittyCityGirl - 2011-07-15 7:47 AM
suzielea - 2011-07-14 1:33 AM

Keep it up!  Some athletes forget that there's more to swim/bike/run and they forget nutrition, rest, strength and STREEEETCHING.  Keep working on plank! It's SOOO good for your swimming!  Downward facing dog will feel great once you get the hang of it.  I do it before races!

Thanks sara. I still need to work on the nutrition and strength part but I'll get the hang of things eventually.

2011-07-16 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3598227

User image

Master
Dunedin

Mike_D - 2011-07-15 12:45 PM I just bought a new wetsuit, and from the BT classifieds no less. Guess I'm stepping up my committment to tri races .  My current suit is more of a surfer type, and isn't the rubber/neoprene surfaced type. On my last race, I notices the arms were absorbing a bit of water as I went along, and thats not exactly the type of behavior one wants from a wetsuit during a race.

Where's the picture so we can "oooh!" and "aaaah!" over you in the new suit?!

2011-07-16 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3598888

User image

Master
Dunedin
croixfan - 2011-07-15 5:53 PM

Like the idea of the negative split target Sara.  I'll work on that over the next couple of weeks.  Today was another Friday vacation day -- using my vacation one day at a time and love it!!!  After a lousy 18 holes this AM, hit the pool mid-afternoon.  Did another 1000 yards straight.  It went very well and I felt comfortable.  Didn't quite negative it, but pushed on the second half more than I would have.  Got home and went out for a short, fast run.  Felt great -- both cardio and legs.

Think two things have helped me immensly over the past couple of weeks.  First was totally going cold turkey on the ibuprofen.  While it was painful the first couple of days/work outs, I'm not feeling it any more.  Maybe it's in the mind, but my muscles feel better and more alive.  Plus the joint pain is not there.  Go figure.  Second is last weeks "exercise to failure" on the bike.  I've been hesitant to really push myself / "open up the engine".  Think last week might have been the equivalent of "blowing the gunk out of the carburators" and loosening my body up a bit.  I'm not going to go crazy, but am optimistic that I can push the volume and intensity a bit over the coming month.

Big target is the OWS two weeks from today.  Over the next 7-10 days I need to convince myself I can do it.  Still have a big, ugly memory of last year and I need to beat the demon!!!

Have a great weekend.  We're starting ours by hosting my work group for a steak and shrimp BBQ at my house.

The steak and shrimp BBQ sounds like a lot of fun!

I mentioned a few posts back about "visualization".  Seriously.  Give it a go.  Right now, you have a memory of a bad experience last year.  If you can close your eyes and "see" yourself executing the perfect OWS then you start to replace that bad memory with a good one.  Hope it doesn't sound hokie!

2011-07-16 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3599248

User image

Master
Dunedin

suzielea - 2011-07-16 4:46 AM

Thanks sara. I still need to work on the nutrition and strength part but I'll get the hang of things eventually.

Nutrition is tough.  You grew up on a family that ate a certain way and there are cultural norms that make it hard to eat healthier.  Add on top of that having a busy schedule and maintaining a budget and it can be hard to eat healthy foods!

Rather than make drastic changes (some people develop their own theories that by eating healthy they can't have certain foods anymore) by taking foods away, alter your diet by adding foods.  If you have a favorite sandwich-still enjoy it!  But, look to see if there's a way to add some more nutrients... like through tomato, lettuce, avocado, alfalfa sprouts, onions, etc.  If you typically have mayonaise on your sandwich, try it with a reduced calorie (reduced fat) mayo or try mustard or salsa or ketchup instead.

We eat a lot of pizza in our house, especially frozen ones.  So, when we make our own pizza we cut up peppers and onions and thrown them on when the pizza is cooking.  Or, we'll have salad with it.

Also, try one new food each month or a new recipe each month.  I never would have tried prickly pear if it wasn't for this "rule" I have to try new things. Keep in mind that fruits and vegetables that you didn't like as a kid, and you avoid as an adult, may actually taste good now.  I hated cantaloupe (rock melon) for my first 27 years, but now I really, really enjoy it-had some today after the race.

What's your barrier to healthy eating?

If you don't think it's fun, check out: http://www.hungry-girl.com/ just watch out that a lot of her recipes are high in sodium.  She uses a lot of pre-made/processed foods.  So, it's nice for people that don't like to cook.  I'm a little pickier about her recipes that I use.  I do like how she uses kale and squash to make french fries.

If you just need ideas for healthy recipes, I love: www.eatbetteramerica.com 

Since you have health conditions are you able to see a dietitian at no cost?  I know your health system is different over there, so I'm not sure how to get you hooked up with one.  But, it may be helpful to have a dietitian "prescribe" meals to you if you prefer someone telling you want to eat.  www.sparkpeople.com is free and I've used it for meal planning.

Hope that helps!  Let me know if you need more specific info.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72