BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-10-18 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4454617

User image

Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!

Sarah,

I would agree with Dave (in my vast experience at 70.3 - just one!).  I was putting about a 18.5mph pace together before I lost my computer on some bumps.  And yes, some people passed me, but I was able to pass several  on the run.

Todd

2012-10-18 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4458884

User image

Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!

Sarah,

Again I agree with Dave and Mike.  I worried about the bottle transitions too before the race, but it is just like they described.  This is one of those things (like bilateral breathing for me in swimming) that you'll look back on and think "I was worried about that?".  Good luck!  Its a great way to spend a day.

2012-10-18 8:39 PM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

@Quincy, good to see you again.  Hope you are enjoying CA.

@Tom, oh man, I'm so sorry about the postponement.  I'll still do my first tri for you tho.  Got the Orca ready for transition.

@Jax, best of luck on your marathon this weekend.

Also, I think Mike and AMANDA all have races too.  Have fun and good luck.

I'm such a klutz and took a fall on my run this morn.  Started to come home but screw that.  Made another 6.5 miles.  Don't think I'll be able to move tomorrow tho.

Edited by Pink Socks 2012-10-18 8:43 PM
2012-10-18 9:34 PM
in reply to: #4459960

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
trei - 2012-10-18 7:52 PM

Sarah,

I would agree with Dave (in my vast experience at 70.3 - just one!).  I was putting about a 18.5mph pace together before I lost my computer on some bumps.  And yes, some people passed me, but I was able to pass several  on the run.

Todd

I agree that 18.5 is sane. But, but, but...hard to say. I was thinking you might be a bit faster, i think you have the fitness. Still always best to play it safe. at least that's what I hear. Haha.

One thing I was thinking about on my bike ride today...do you have a list of symptoms from your doc that if they show up during the race, you pack it in? Just wondering if any red flags from the concussion could show up during a race. I have NO idea, but just thought I'd ask. To be safe...

2012-10-18 9:35 PM
in reply to: #4460008

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Pink Socks - 2012-10-18 8:39 PM

@Tom, oh man, I'm so sorry about the postponement.  I'll still do my first tri for you tho.  Got the Orca ready for transition.

I'm such a klutz and took a fall on my run this morn.  Started to come home but screw that.  Made another 6.5 miles.  Don't think I'll be able to move tomorrow tho.

I checked out of the hotel california and barely made it home alive...my kids were kind of awful. Ah well. Hope you're feeling alright from your spill. Good job getting back up and keeping on.

x2 on great race vibes this weekend! Can't wait to hear all about it...

Q

2012-10-19 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4460065

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
quincyf - 2012-10-18 9:34 PM
trei - 2012-10-18 7:52 PM

Sarah,

Todd

I agree that 18.5 is sane. But, but, but...hard to say. I was thinking you might be a bit faster, i think you have the fitness. Still always best to play it safe. at least that's what I hear. Haha.

One thing I was thinking about on my bike ride today...do you have a list of symptoms from your doc that if they show up during the race, you pack it in? Just wondering if any red flags from the concussion could show up during a race. I have NO idea, but just thought I'd ask. To be safe...

I think this is the first time other people are telling me that I should go faster than I think I should go. I appreciate the confidence, but I'm thinking I should shoot for about 17.5. That is why I have decided to not use my Garmin. Yep...I'm still sticking to that!! Sometimes I get so focussed on numbers I forget to enjoy myself. I really like the idea of pacing according to feel, and I'm trying to not take myself too seriously for this race. I want to do well, of course, but being my first one, I don't want to stress about it. My only real goal is to finish, and finish well. I don't mean time wise; I mean, I just want to take in everything, not crawl to the finish line, smile for the cameras and volunteers, and "enjoy" myself!!

I remember my first Chicago Marathon. It was my first marathon ever, I had only trained up to 16 miles (once), and I had no idea how I was going to be able to do 10 more miles past that. But it was awesome!! I didn't care how slow I went. I stopped and hugged my kids and DH two times, took pictures with other runners (and walkers) on the course, gave a bizzillion high fives, and had the time of my life!! I hope I don't go quite that slow for this race, but I hope this first HIM has some really fun times and some great memories!

2012-10-19 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Jax!!!

Good luck tomorrow!! I'll be thinking about you. I hope you're getting some good rest today and keeping your mind preoccupied with "other" things, so you're not too anxious!!

Who else is racing this weekend?? We need to get our race schedule back up. I need to start thinking about 2013!! I know, I'm late to this party!!

2012-10-19 4:24 PM

User image

Veteran

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!  T minus 15 hours til race time!  I am ready to go and feel great!  Very confident to get a PR.  4:10 is the goal and would be a PR by 8:17.  Now, that said, 4:00 is the stretch goal.  That's a 9:10 per mile average.  I think I can do that.  But...my 4:10 goal would make me happy too!

Restful evening planned.  Lots of water.  Feet up on the couch for a mini Breaking Bad marathon.  Oh yeah...I finally got turned on to that show.  I've powered through seasons 1, 2 and 3 since August.  Actually, I'm up to the season finale of season 3.  Gotta love Netflix!  And I think that's the best show on TV.  By a mile.  A 9:10 mile.  ha!

Anyway...I'll catch up late tomorrow or Sunday and post a race report.  After the race, I have to zip home and shower and get off to watch my youngest girl in her first All Star Football game.  (Yes...my girl plays football and made the All Star Team...she's a corner back and knocks the boys on their a$$e$.  That's a story for another day, with pix!  But...GIRL POWER, right?!?!)

2012-10-19 8:07 PM

User image

Ok - here is my planned races for 2013:

May 18 and 19th - Memphis in May (I will probably head down Friday early enough to get some BBQ for supper - other group members be warned - you may not want to run next to me on Saturday) sprint on Saturday and Oly on Sunday never did that before, but let the insanity begin

June 10th - West Salem, WI - Got energy triathlon (not sure if doing sprint or oly, but this was my first triathlon ever last year, so its tradition now right?)  This will either be done alone in which case I am going to try to place in top 2 in my age group otherwise I may either try to convince my wife to give this crazy sport a try in which case I will be right by her side throughout or convince some people at my office to do it as a team

June 23 - Rochester, MN - Rochesterfest Olympic

July 21 - Door County HIM

September 8 - IMOO

October 13 - Chicago marathon

It looks like I may be seeing some of you guys next year.  I'm not stalking, I promise.

GOOD LUCK Jax on the marathon - PR on the way!

2012-10-19 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4461207

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
DaDooRunRun - 2012-10-19 4:24 PM

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!  T minus 15 hours til race time!  I am ready to go and feel great!  Very confident to get a PR.  4:10 is the goal and would be a PR by 8:17.  Now, that said, 4:00 is the stretch goal.  That's a 9:10 per mile average.  I think I can do that.  But...my 4:10 goal would make me happy too!

Restful evening planned.  Lots of water.  Feet up on the couch for a mini Breaking Bad marathon.  Oh yeah...I finally got turned on to that show.  I've powered through seasons 1, 2 and 3 since August.  Actually, I'm up to the season finale of season 3.  Gotta love Netflix!  And I think that's the best show on TV.  By a mile.  A 9:10 mile.  ha!

Anyway...I'll catch up late tomorrow or Sunday and post a race report.  After the race, I have to zip home and shower and get off to watch my youngest girl in her first All Star Football game.  (Yes...my girl plays football and made the All Star Team...she's a corner back and knocks the boys on their a$$e$.  That's a story for another day, with pix!  But...GIRL POWER, right?!?!)

Jackie!  Don't forget to flip the switch.  Guess that would be hard for you to forget!  ha!  You sound very confident.   I',m sure you will do great!    GO for BREAKING BADNESSS!  tomorrow!    Have a great time tomorrow!

2012-10-19 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4461390

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
trei - 2012-10-19 8:07 PM

Ok - here is my planned races for 2013:

May 18 and 19th - Memphis in May (I will probably head down Friday early enough to get some BBQ for supper - other group members be warned - you may not want to run next to me on Saturday) sprint on Saturday and Oly on Sunday never did that before, but let the insanity begin

June 10th - West Salem, WI - Got energy triathlon (not sure if doing sprint or oly, but this was my first triathlon ever last year, so its tradition now right?)  This will either be done alone in which case I am going to try to place in top 2 in my age group otherwise I may either try to convince my wife to give this crazy sport a try in which case I will be right by her side throughout or convince some people at my office to do it as a team

June 23 - Rochester, MN - Rochesterfest Olympic

July 21 - Door County HIM

September 8 - IMOO

October 13 - Chicago marathon

It looks like I may be seeing some of you guys next year.  I'm not stalking, I promise.

GOOD LUCK Jax on the marathon - PR on the way!

Todd    That is some impressive schedule you have for next year!   You really know how to take the ball and RUN with it!  Awesomeness.    I think you need a nickname.   Not sure what  but  something.    

So great we will have many of us Tour trippers doing Memphis.   And getting wasted on cucumber Gatorade (yes I mention that stuff as often as I can,  I have no idea why but I am obsessed by it)

2012-10-19 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4460008

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Pink Socks - 2012-10-18 8:39 PM

Pam-  That is great you kept going after your fall.   I love that kind of spirit.   Hope you feel good tomorrow!

Mike and Amanda  have a great time with your  races!   it's a big weekend!   I will enjoy reading all the race reports!

2012-10-19 10:18 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

OK, I put all the races I know of for the group in a Google Calendar here https://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/lu1qd4dmdtbc4ptoh3jv6in34k%40group.calendar.google.com/private-bec67abf6eabdbcb3432a7c44a8c4d76/basic 

It's public right now.  I can lock it down if the group wants, I'll just need everyone's email address. I can also give everyone write access, again I would need your email address. Mine is Mike.Ransick AT gmail.com .

Let me know if you can or can't see the calendar and what changes you want me to make. 

I like these calendars and have like 6 different ones pointed to on my phone and they all look like one.

Mike

2012-10-20 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4461471

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
ransick - 2012-10-19 10:18 PM

OK, I put all the races I know of for the group in a Google Calendar here https://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/lu1qd4dmdtbc4ptoh3jv6in34k%40group.calendar.google.com/private-bec67abf6eabdbcb3432a7c44a8c4d76/basic 

It's public right now.  I can lock it down if the group wants, I'll just need everyone's email address. I can also give everyone write access, again I would need your email address. Mine is Mike.Ransick AT gmail.com .

Let me know if you can or can't see the calendar and what changes you want me to make. 

I like these calendars and have like 6 different ones pointed to on my phone and they all look like one.

Mike

Thanks Mike! That's great to have in one place. Also, I'm so sorry I haven't said anything about your HM coming up this weekend. You are going to do awesome. You have put in some amazing run training and I'm sure you and Jax are both going to PR this weekend. Do great, have fun, and keep us posted!!

2012-10-20 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Thanks for the race calendar Mike!!   (I can see it on my lap top,  but not on my ipad for some reason)

I like to race too much.    So I decided my race season ended with Chicago for 2012.     I Ran the last two Dallas White Rock Marathons.    I'm taking this image of Big Tex  as a personal message from Dallas to not show up for this years race.   Or I could face Burn out.

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-10-20 11:27 AM
2012-10-20 1:00 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

2012-10-20 8:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Mike, just realized that you have a race tomorrow.  Good luck and PR on it.  Can't wait for the race report.  Also, thanks for the calendar.  It looks great and it's nice to know who has races and when.

Jax, hope your race went well and I also want to hear about your daughter making the all star football team.  How cool is that?!

Sarah, I agree with your strategy for your first HIM.  First anythings are special and should be enjoyed.  Since it's the first, it will be a PR no matter what.

Tri practice today.  49 degrees when we started.  I live in Fl and I don't believe in that kind of weather.  I wasn't dead last in the swim but pretty dang close.  Ok, you know this idiot fell on her run this week, right?  I round the last buoy and am trying to sight into the sun for the boat ramp and damn, kicked a metal rod in the middle of a lake?!  Got out and was bleeding from it.  Think I'll have a nasty bruise to match the ones on my hip and hands.  Very quick bike ride and quickly realized that I was ahead of some (slow to mounters) and behind DH so I turned around, saw the run group, and quickly transitioned to join them for the 5K.

2012-10-21 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran

Happy Sunday everyone!  I literally have like 90 seconds for a quick update and then I'm off to work.  Who am I kidding?  Work?  I'm entertaining clients in our suite at the Colts game.  I guess you can call that "work". 

Anyway...yesterday was tough.  Did not get my PR.    Finish time was 4:24:05, which is 6:05 off my PR.  Much more detail later, but main issue was that the course was SUPER hilly and I underestimated the impact those hills were going to have on me.  UGH! Anyway...more later!

Jax

2012-10-21 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4462235

User image

Expert
Hammond
Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-10-21 8:04 AM

Happy Sunday everyone!  I literally have like 90 seconds for a quick update and then I'm off to work.  Who am I kidding?  Work?  I'm entertaining clients in our suite at the Colts game.  I guess you can call that "work". 

Anyway...yesterday was tough.  Did not get my PR.    Finish time was 4:24:05, which is 6:05 off my PR.  Much more detail later, but main issue was that the course was SUPER hilly and I underestimated the impact those hills were going to have on me.  UGH! Anyway...more later!

Jax

Jax, I'm still ubber impressed. I can't even imagine covering that distance and I surely couldn't do it in 4:24:05. My time wouldn't be six minutes off of that but more like 6 hours- hehe.
And the hills have kicked my butt in more than one race- lol.

Great job and can't wait to hear all the details.

Shelly
2012-10-21 10:57 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Woohoo! PR'd by over 5 minutes. I wasn't in a good place mentally for this race but I was ready physically. I'll write a race report later. I have some serious laying on the couch to do now :-).
2012-10-21 3:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

You are not going to believe this.  At this moment, I am sipping on cucumber Gatorade.  Part of me really likes it, part of me wants it watered down some.  I wish I had it in my possession after my brick today because I kinda think that it would have hit the spot better when I was hot and tired instead of 3 hours later after a grocery store run.  But it does exist.

Mike, congrats on the PR!  Can't wait to read the RR.

Jax, sorry that you missed your PR.  But dang Girl, that is still an awesome marathon time!  Those hills can be beyoches tho.  Recover well and although you are disappointed, realize you did an amazing job.  Personally, I would be jumping up and down with joy if I had that time but I really do understand that taste in your mouth after a disappointing race.

2012-10-21 3:30 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Jax

Awesome job! I can't imagine running another 13.1 after the one I ran this morning. I'm in awe!
2012-10-21 5:01 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Jax

I totally agree with everyone.  You did great!   Hills suck!  :-)   but you ran a marathon.   There is only good here. can you go faster?  Sure.   And you WILL!   but please enjoy your moment of immortality.  We are pround of ya  Skinny Arm Brian!  and Jax too. 

2012-10-21 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4462300

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

ransick - 2012-10-21 10:57 AM Woohoo! PR'd by over 5 minutes. I wasn't in a good place mentally for this race but I was ready physically. I'll write a race report later. I have some serious laying on the couch to do now :-).

Not in a good place mentally?  Hope all is well Mike!    Hope you are enjoying your well earned couch time.  congrats man!

2012-10-21 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4462476

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Pink Socks - 2012-10-21 3:16 PM

You are not going to believe this.  At this moment, I am sipping on cucumber Gatorade.  Part of me really likes it, part of me wants it watered down some.  I wish I had it in my possession after my brick today because I kinda think that it would have hit the spot better when I was hot and tired instead of 3 hours later after a grocery store run.  But it does exist.

Mike, congrats on the PR!  Can't wait to read the RR.

Jax, sorry that you missed your PR.  But dang Girl, that is still an awesome marathon time!  Those hills can be beyoches tho.  Recover well and although you are disappointed, realize you did an amazing job.  Personally, I would be jumping up and down with joy if I had that time but I really do understand that taste in your mouth after a disappointing race.

NO way Pam!!!   You found the a golden ticket  ha!  (willy wonka and I mean the Gene Wilder version)  Bet you had a good LOL when you saw it.  ha!  its a strange rare elixir isn't it?   And truly it IS better on a really hot day while training.

A metal post in the middle of the lake?  weird?  maybe some sort of depth gauge?  Don't want to have have thoughts  like  "I wonder if there will be a metal rod in the lake or not."    sheesh I have enough to think about with trying to use proiper form. 

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-10-21 5:16 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51