BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-04-16 7:19 PM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.

Steve - Best of Luck!

I was watching a bit of the news just now and something  stuck out to me.  After the explosions people immediately ran away, but then almost all of them ran right back in the direction of the blast to start helping people.  Without even knowing if it was safe yet.  It shows how something so horrific can actually show how inherently good people are!  Those people are true heroes!

2013-04-16 11:13 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Hey gang back home now.  Driving 600 miles in snow not so much fun.  Yes prayers for the folks in Boston.  Free will and evil in the world all bad things.  I just wish the news didn't glorify the perpetrators by giving them so much attention.  We need to not be giving sociopaths ideas of what to do to get more attention on international news.  

So no go on the job, I was the only person who applied and got an interview that was not already an employee in a different roll within the organization.  Kind of a stacked deck against me it would appear.  But, no way of knowing until you go to the interview.  Oh well we go again on Friday, probably the same game.  It is the same county so one would imagine that folks who applied for the 1 job would also apply for the other one.  Time to send out more apps 8).  God opens doors closes doors.  

My mom called and is glad I'm injured so that I wasn't running at Boston this year... or something like that.  

My philosophy is that I won't not do a race because something bad might happen like someone blow up aid station 24.  That doesn't mean I am going to run in downtown LA at night, but it does mean that I don't worry about getting struck by lightning so much if it is raining outside and I'm inside.  

A missionary told the story of a very wise 5 year old who was dying.  Somehow the takeaway from the missionary was that the boy had accomplished what he was meant to accomplish and was ready to go to heaven.  I forget what the 5 year old actually said, but it resounded of wisdom well beyond most of is.  

It doesn't matter how long the trip is, as long as you end up at the right destination.  Make good choices, be kind to others, help those you can, avoid contributing towards making other people's life more difficult and the outcome will just be what it will be. 

2013-04-17 3:59 AM

Blairstown, NJ

Steve - Sorry about the job. It was a long way to drive for that. Thanks for the words of wisdom. I really wish news agencies would get your message because there is so many positive things that are overlooked as they dwell on such evil.

Carol - Feel better. Nothing worse than not feeling well and not knowing why. Hope the Doc has some answers.

Felt like training was in full swing as I got into one of last years routines. I ran 3.5 around the school where I swim and then proceeded to the pool. Finished 3.5 in in 34:12, not smoking but some great splits 10:01, 9:51, 9:25, and 9:41. Then swam 1750 in about 45 minutes with some descent freestyle speed. I can do 50 in 40-45 seconds but sustaining free stlye for any distance is a struggle. Will keep working it. Happy training.

2013-04-17 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Steve -- sorry to hear the fix was in for the others, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good mojo your way for the upcoming interview! Thank you for the philisophical take on things as well

Training went in the dustbin yesterday, as I took a mental health day. It was just an odd, stressful day, and I was very tired. Didn't have lots of motivation, and it just wasn't going to happen. Today is a bit better, and I managed 2250 in the pool this AM. Will do an hour on the bike tonight as well. Overall, I think I'm somewhat on track for the HIM in June, and should finish with no problem, assuming I can maintain training until then.

2013-04-17 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Agree with Athony & Mitch that it is good to see how people will help each other in a true crisis situation.  We pass by each other in the busyness of life without looking up sometimes.  But when it really counts, it's beautiful to see so many selfless responses.  Also saw a FB post this morning by a local marathon maniac who ran Boston.  He proposed to his girlfriend and it was partially prompted by the events of Monday that he decided not to wait any longer for what he already knew was right. 

Joe, great job on the workouts!  Sounds like that triple brick was proof that you are in a good place.  Keep up the good work.

Mike, a break after such an emotionally draining day is good.  Even though we don't all live as nearby as you do, I think this one impacted us all because we know people who were there, and many of us would like to be there some day either to run or to watch.

Steve, sorry the job did not work out.  Too bad they can't do these interviews via skype!  Yes, it's good to have lots of irons in the fire, oars in the water, etc.  LOL, your mom sounds a little like mine.  Love her, but she worries about everything and is very...ummm...risk averse.

I have a big nothing to report workout wise other than a couple of walks.  Still feeling quite tired, unmotivated, and wanting to focus on other aspects of life.  Put on cycling clothes this morning, then realized the wind was 25 mph, and decided a walk would be good.  Yes, I changed out of the cycling clothes for the walk -- goofy yes, but not quite ready to be that goofy just yet.  Father of a friend from church passed away yesterday, and waiting on word as to when the funeral will be to make sure we don't have our bike ride scheduled at the same time.  My (step) nephew is being delivered via ceasarian as I type this.  Hope to go see him tomorrow as I'm working onsite at a client that is only a few miles away.

Edited by squirt 2013-04-17 11:18 AM
2013-04-17 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Good afternoon all.

I just returned from yet another PT visit where I continue to blow the doors off of their expectations!  I had what they call a retest day...which is basically their way to go back to the insurance company to say I need more PT...look what he's done under our care.  Well, my initial PT retested me and she had to change 2-3 long term goals she had planned because I could already do them.  It certainly felt good.

I had two good workouts last night and then this morning.  Much like Mike described, I didn't feel motivated last night but I decided to take my frustration of the marathon events out on the weights.  I followed up that workout with a good swim this morning....400y consecutive, and then my usual 100y decending ladder.  One thing I'm trying to do while using the pull buoy is to increase my lung capacity (or at least my fear of being face in the water while feeling tired) by focusing on breathing every 4 strokes instead of every 3.  I can tell that I'm going faster when I go every 4 so that's my new focus.  I took a step back today and realized there was a time I had to breath every 2 strokes and 400Y was almost impossible without utilizing time on my back....and now 400Y is just a safe distance I'm using to get some swimming in.  After the swim, I hit the weights again and followed that up with a 45min bike ride.  Again, the legs were tired but I found my second wind at about 30 min and finished strong.

Mike/Carol: Do what you feel like you need to do with training.  I think we all know the difference between not doing a workout because we're being lazy versus not being motivated.

Steve: Best of luck with the next job interview.

Oh yeah, I had a proud dad moment recently.  My son had a tryout for town league where they rated all of the kids again...like a scouting combine.  Lord knows why my town LOVES to do this to kids.  Anyhow, my son was the 3rd pick in the entire draft of over 100 kids in the town.  Honestly, I knew he was pretty good at baseball but I didn't think he was that good...but I guess he is.  Anyhow, I was proud of my little guy.

Hope you all are having a good day.

2013-04-17 9:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Quick drive-by post.

Steve, so sorry about the interview.  Knock 'em dead on Friday!

Jay, that is awesome about the improvement, revised plan, and astounding your PT.  And yea on your son!!!!! 

We had packet pickup for our race today and I handed out the Boston commerative ribbons.  I was up at 5am this morn and on the trainer and then arrived home at 8:30 and then went for a little run.  I'm tired.  Have a good week everyone.

2013-04-18 1:33 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Kid update, Senior ran a 5:05 miles and Freshman ran 5:22 (yes that is a 1:18 mpm improvement in 1 month with half arsed coaching).  

Walking is getting better, regular stride on the flat, less of an impact of downhill or steps... hrm wonder when to start adding in some walking .... probably not until the stitches come out, right?  

Really hoping for no whiteouts tomorrow on the 7300 foot pass.  It is all good either way I still have my job for next year should everything fall through, just the work environment is going to heck.  

So I was talking with a student who felt that Intellectually Disabled students should just be put down to put them out of their misery.  I told him that without illness, setbacks and people who have problems we would never develop our helping muscles. Yes we are made better by being in the presence of others who need us and as being those who are in need of assistance by others (interdependence).  When I was younger I told my father in law that his daughter, my wife was so important to me, she was the center of my life.  He said that is not right.  No person can be that important, it is unfair to her.  Only God can fill that hole that we all have in us, a spouse can only be a partner in the journey.  And there are few athiests past mile 15 on the run portion of the IM.  You may require some of those footprints in the sand where he carries you through to the end as far as relieving some of your fears, emotionality, fogginess and doubts to let you continue on to the finish.  Warning, I wayne philosophical when I can't workout.  God will open and close doors as he sees fit, my job is just to try to follow his lead as best I can, which may leave me where I am for a while but keep me in a looking mode to work those patience muscles.  

Stay safe folks in whatever aspect of life you are being challenged to find that peaceful spot where the outcome is strived for, but the outcome is not that important.  The read that bends in the wind, does not break, and returns to center when the turbulence passes.  Which does not mean that I want to drive 600 miles for a repeat of not having a fair shake at the job, but I will do it and have done my 6 hours of prep, data mining the district so I can put forth a good foot. 

2013-04-18 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Fast kids, Steve!! wow. And yes, may be best to walk before running, particularly without stitches .

Really like the 'reed' example. Good way to look at things recently.

On other fronts, I have to say I'm as tired as I've been in ages. I just want to sleep all the time, and feel like I'm not getting enough. Its cut into training, and I have been a slug the past few days (althought I thing some of that is related to the whole bomb situation here). Have eaten better after my stress-eating binge on Monday/Tuesday, but need to get back to 'center' on things.

Fantastic work, Jay. You'll be back before you know it!

2013-04-18 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Jay, great going on the workouts!  And cool re: your son's "hidden" baseball talents.  Ha, they are not hidden anymore!

Pam, sounds like you are juggling well as usual!

Steve, congrats to your speedy kiddos!  Also really enjoyed reading your perspectives.  Reaching for a goal but not hanging on too tight, balance between helping and allowing yourself to be helped, and adjusting (bending) but still moving forward, grace and truth....all part of that balance that can be elusive.  Only Jesus got that balance just right, but in our best (and sometimes our worst) moments, we get to reflect it.  Running/triathlon/etc. is such a great metaphor for all of that, and part of what attracts me to it.

Mike, that mojo is still out there and I know you will reclaim it when you are ready.

Off to work, and hopefully see my new nephew today....9+ lbs big boy!   

2013-04-18 8:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Steve, your kids are amazingly fast!  And you have a wise, wise FIL.  And you know that most women marry a man similar to their fathers and it sounds like your wife did the same by picking a wise man to marry.  Best of luck tomorrow!

Carol, enjoy that nephew.  You better because he's almost grown now.

Well, some things were figured out today.  I have been ridiculously tired for months now but I thought that was normal after a 50K, a marathon, and a DU and a tri.  Today the doctor found I'm low on my hemoglobin.  Definitely explains the passing out after giving blood last month.  Nothing that can't be easily fixed.  And hubby pointed out afterwards that our dietary changes over the last few years (for his health) may be contributing.  So before the next lab tests, I'm going to add the following: 1) red wine 2) hamburgers 3) steak.  Laughing  I'm going to be enjoying the next two weeks.  And if anyone doesn't think it's a good diet, shhh please.

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-04-18 9:01 PM

2013-04-19 4:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Steve: Very wise statements made above.  I can't help but think of the poem footprints as I read it.  Like others above, wishing you the best of luck on your job interview....and wow on those kids, they can run fast

Mike: I can't help but think that some of your tiredness is due to the events around us.  There seems to be a force around us right now that leaves us anxious and drained...no other way to explain it. 

Pam: I'm very sorry to hear about the low hemoglobin.  I vaguely remember my wife dealing with this after the birth of our daughter because of the loss of blood.  I'm sure you've done this but I did a quick search for cures and found this home remedy...take it for what its worth!

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/askquestion/86120/increase-hemoglobin-levels-my-hemoglobin-level-is-.html

As for me, I took Mike's lead and took most of the day off yesterday.  I felt run down and I have to accept that I'm not where I want to be physically (yet) and listen to my body.  My kids are on vacation this week so I kept them busy jumping in the newly constructed trampoline as I burned twigs, etc that were left in my yard from the blizzard.  After dinner, I met about 50 runners from my charity group I mentioned awhile back for a run/walk.  The group leader decided to do a dedicated run/walk to bring some positivity back into a very negative time around here.  I donned my Boston marathon shirt from last year and joined my injured Team Owen members for a walk around a local park (about a mile or so long)  We got quite a bit of attention (in a positive sense) and I got to meet some of the Team Owen members who were injured at the marathon.  I'm pleased to report that they are all doing fine...just dealing with cuts, bruises, stitches etc.  My wife insisted that I do this and I'm glad she did.  I think it helped me psychologically to get back out there and be around like minded people again.  A friend is starting bike training rides at his house next week...so I asked him to shoot me an invite.  I'd like to do it but there is a part of me that's concerned with my achilles if I have to stop quickly and can't get unhooked from my bike in time.  I may have to ask the doctor what he thinks when I get out of this boot officially on Monday.

Today, I plan on hitting the gym hard again.  I have a PT session at 10AM so I'll swim/weight train before hand.  I hope the news of the day will include finding more suspects in the bombing.....I have friends in the suburb where they had the shootout last night and they're very scared going to work today.  Hope you all have a great day. 

2013-04-19 6:47 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Just another normal day here in Boston....nothing to see...just move along....

Will this week  just end already??? Sheesh.....
2013-04-19 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Mike, glad you checked in.  I'm sure it's a very surreal feeling right now.  Stay in and stay safe!

Jay, good for you on getting out there with your running/walking peeps.  Yes, you are an experiment of one right now.  Could you change out the pedals and ride without clipping in?

Pam, glad you got some answers re: the fatigue level and passing out after giving blood.  What do you do to treat low hemoglobin? 

Hope the interviews go well for you today Steve.

Went to see my new nephew yesterday, and he is perfect!  9.3 lbs, and he and mom are doing great.  My neice is so sweet with him, and was holding him like a pro when I arrived.  Still waiting to see if my blood work turned up anything...have missed the call from my doc twice now but he says nothing urgent and will try back later.  Bike ride is on for tomorrow, and short run on tap for today.

2013-04-19 7:59 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

I'm at work right now, and we were told a bit ago we cannot leave the building as the city of Boston is under a 'shelter in place' order from police/homeland security. I'd have stayed home if I knew I couldn't leave....

There is no doubt my physical condition this week is driven by the mental & emotional fatigue of the weeks events. I've been watching the various TV  & other media outlet updates all week, looking for some closure, and hopefully some peace of mind that these idiots are either dead or in custody. I'm hoping once he is apprehanded or dead, I'll feel better, and have some sort of closure.

Edited by Mike_D 2013-04-19 8:55 AM
2013-04-19 8:24 AM

User image

Expert

Morning everyone. I just got caught up on posts.

Steve: Good luck on your interview today. 

Pam: Have a great race this weekend. 

I'm doing Insanity workout 3 times a week and it's thrashing me. I'm also doing the spring Trainer Road Challenge. I did a second FTP test and it actually went down. My whole body felt tired and I know it's the Insane Insanity. 

2013-04-19 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Carol: Great news on that little one.

Mike: Sorry you're stuck in Boston.

This story just hit close to home for me.  Apparantly, the younger bomber was a student at UMASS Dartmouth where my wife teaches....the school was evacuated while my wife was teaching.  To say she's a bit distraught is an understatement.....all exercise plans are out the window now.

2013-04-19 3:37 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Hey guys, just checking in.  Routines are good, but RL trumps workout routine when big things like this are going on. 

Injured folks, take care of yourselves, listen to your body (which really means you already went too far) and rebuild slowly.  My heart goes out to the folks in Boston, runners, spectators and everyone else who is in a state of chaos while things get contained.  It looks like 1 is dead and 1 still at large, but much of their bomb stuff was found.  It can be really unsettling the lengths folks will go to to cause evil.  The silver lining is that through adversity folks who never knew each other before or may have even disliked each other over trivial things can end up becoming friends as they pull together under difficult circumstances.  It's not ideal, but sometimes we as a society fall asleep and slowly isolate and develop bad feelings towards people who have different values.  Then all of a sudden we are so far apart that it takes a serious shock to our system to realize that the tree that got cut down or the parking space that was moved or the trashcan that got run over are really trivial in comparison to the friendships we don't pursue.

Prayers to all of you in Boston, to our low blood sugar, low cell count, stitched up, booted, rag tag team in search of balance.  Take care of you and yours, normality shall return in time.   

Interview 1 this morning was somewhat intense.  2 superintendents,  3 principals, 2 teachers, program specialist, nurse, parent rep, school psych., assistant super of HR,  and another 6 forget their rolls.  Ya a little intense, tough crowd with little emotional feedback to read.  I connected well with maybe 4 of them and the rest were held their cards pretty tight with another 5 warming slightly by the end and no movement at all on 4-5.  I "noticed" the that there were 6 appointments today, so I am in the top 6 with round 2 tomorrow.  Love questions like "What will you need to accomplish in the first 60 days of employment?"  Hrm the idea of no freaking clue, I don't know what reports that are due have not been completed, what trainings you do or do not have planned, what staff you are replacing, what budgetary issues remain unresolved and which parents are currently filing due process."  Ya I took a deep breath and said I would figure all that stuff out in a way that sounded semi-intelligent and well thought through.  But sheesh, no one knows until they know what needs to be done.  Oh well, not so much the outcome right... (thinks to self less setting high standards less you be held to them...).  Enjoy your weekend if you are not locked in an office with a limited supply of coffee and watercooler cups. 

2013-04-19 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Mike, hope you will be able to go home soon, but more importantly get there safely!

Jay, yes, that does make it way too close to home. 

Kate, insane insanity...ha, ha!

Pam, good job on the ribbons.  Is the run tomorrow? 

Praying all of this will end much better than it started. Good article here: http://www.runnersworld.com/rt-columns/once-each-spring#.UW9W9F7DZ6o.facebook The part about how our loved ones unselfishly support us at races really struck me.

Steve, interviews are like another world...and it's not the real world!  That was one heck of a panel.  Connecting with even a few of them in a setting like that is quite an accomplishment.

2013-04-19 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Steve, good luck tomorrow.  Dang that is tough with that many people in there.  I think you did great to have a read of 4 or 5 and then feel some others warming up.

Jay, how awful for your wife.  Hope you are all doing ok.

Mike, really, really, really hoping that you get to go home.  Be careful and safe and report back in frequently so we know you are ok.  Doesn't have to be much communication - just something.  I texted my son once when he was in DC for a week and told him to say something.  I received the response "Q".  Realized it was just a 14 yo being a 14 yo but now, we use the code of Q just to say that "I'm here."

Kate so glad to see you back.  Thanks for the well wishes on the race but it's just a 5K that is just more of a "Screw you" to terrorist.  I don't plan to race but just to enjoy running and honor those awesome people of Boston.

Carol, please get with your doctor just to make sure the lab results look ok.

Jay, thanks for the info on the diet for the low hemoglobin!  Lot of that is pretty much what we were thinking.  Over the last few years, we have gone very much for turkey, chicken. and fish as well as pork roast.  And while I will never in a million year be a vegetarian, I have been loading up on the veggies even more than normal and going less on meat.  Upon review, I realize I have been eating very little beef in the last year or so (Been subbing ground turkey for ground beef a lot of the time).  Funny, but I thought I was being so healthy.  But now I think if I add more beef (and the Vit C which I didn't know about), I bet my next labs will be vastly different.  None of the info says red wine but I think that was a silly little omission so I'll add more red wine just to be sure. 

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-04-19 4:49 PM
2013-04-19 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Thinking about Mike  ... Hope thing are ok.

Jay - wow, My thoughts are with you.  really brings it close to home.

2013-04-19 6:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Doing a memorial run tomorrow with my running group.  Here's a link to the bib we are all wearing...

Runners United to Remember bib. Download at http://ning.it/10kIzO6"

2013-04-19 6:09 PM

User image

Expert

Thinking about Mike and Jay & family.

Wishing you peace and safety. 

Jay: that's a lovely tribute. 

Edited by KateTri1 2013-04-19 6:11 PM
2013-04-19 6:43 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

All is well here. I left work at 3 PM or so and headed out. No traffic at all.

watching live coverage of manhunt -- appears they have Suspect #2 pinned down inside a boat in the backyard of a house. They are working on taking him alive. He is completely surrounded.

2013-04-20 6:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Good morning everyone.

First off, thank you for the well wishes.  My wife is doing a lot better now that he has been captured.  The media coverage was understandably focused on Boston but down here...they had a bomb squad all over the UMASS Dartmouth campus and there were a few arrests made in neighboring New Bedford.  There were a number of helicopters flying really low during the sweep on campus. (my son commented that he could feel the trees in our backyard vibrate/blow)  We live about 5 minutes away so we were very aware of what was going on.  The younger man lived in an off campus apartment in New Bedford...on the street of a 6 mile loop that I run a lot.  There were rumors that he was partying on Wednesday night down here in the apartment....and yes, he does have a girlfriend too...certainly makes you wonder if SHE knew anything or was left in the dark.  As I said yesterday, it hit really close to home and again makes me a torn man.  I'm thankful for my training because I don't get very scared or nervous about these things but my family does....and that alone make me go to that bad place that nobody want to go to.  Again, I think we should pray for the first responders involved in this the last five days.....we all can imagine everyone involved in Monday but 18 hours of a high stakes hide and seek for the officers yesterday....that's just intensity beyond my wildest imagination.

On to lighter topics

Kate: I've been curious about the Insanity workouts for awhile now.  I hope you keep us updated with how they work.

Pam: I'm glad my link gave you an idea that might help!  That was my intention!  FYI, I've found that ground turkey isn't THAT much healthier than ground beef (calorie wise, etc)

Mitch: That's a great tribute!  Its nice to know that the nation is coming together to support everyone involved up here in Boston.  I'm taking a small leap and assuming things like this are happening with the running community all over....if we did it up here and you're doing it out in California

Steve: It sounds like you were honest and did the best you could in the interview.  It has to be difficult interviewing with that many people.  I had to do a 3 person interview while interviewing for civil service jobs but it sounds like you were up to near 10...ugh!  It goes without saying I wish you the best.

Carol: Thanks for the tip on the bike.  I'll take a look to see if I can switch out the clipless pedals.  I'm certainly not the most handy person in the world so if I can...I hope its easy.  I'm VERY good at breaking things!

Hope you all have a good day.  It appears to be a rainy Saturday here in Mass...lacrosse and baseball practice for my son are questionable at best.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52