of 51

2009-05-13 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2148553

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Subject: RE: Gordo Byrn's Group - FULL
G
wise words thank you. I think you just described me to a T. Always looking for improvement even if by pushing to beat my time I leave myself at risk of burnout.
I have had to make a real effort to dial back the training pace to allow me to keep training often without injuring myself and it is working of course.
Jeff, excellent questions thanks. Keep the training going you have already improved massively this last few months.

2009-05-13 5:30 PM
in reply to: #2148553

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
GordoByrn - 2009-05-13 1:36 PM
junthank - 2009-05-13 9:57 AM

Sounds like you are well on your way.  What I'd recommend you watch is our tendency to keep increasing stress until we break.  For whatever reason, we tend to find it difficult to repeat something that is clearly working for a long period of time.

If you stick to your points then you will go faster.  However, going faster isn't going to change who your are, or what's required to improve from "there".  So enjoy the fact that things are working - keep repeating what's working and watch for things that get in the way of those successful habits you are building.

Excessive high intensity training an error that I see and it is consistently reinforced by the media as well as all of us.  It's a good product to sell because we are attracted to the lure of intensity.  All my big errors came with regard to intensity and recovery.

You should also know that improvements will come "fast" when you are new.  However, to become a top athlete, you'll need to find a reason to train when there are NO improvement coming -- interestingly, you'll need the same awareness/maturity to cope with when you start to slow down due to age.  So enjoy the improvements when the come, celebrate your successes and remember why you exercise in the first place.

g

Thanks for the reminders.  G, with regard to slowing down with age - perhaps I have one on you!!!  I'll be setting PB's while in my 50's while you'll be slowing down  (relative to your PB's).!!!  So there is indeed a benefit to starting when your 50. 

Edited by junthank 2009-05-13 5:33 PM
2009-05-13 8:03 PM
in reply to: #1856890

User image

Veteran
Gordo - glad you're still around. Have a question for you.

I'm recovering from my stint as perhaps your worst mentee ever. I've removed all intensity and focus only on consistency, endurance, strength, and skills. I'm up to continuous 2000+ yard sessions in the pool, 2 hour bike sessions (around 30-32 miles), and 1.5 hour runs. In other words, I am living the 'Going Long' mantra. It is awesome. I have now read the book 3 times.

Problem is I am slow. Way slow. Yes, I am faster relative to where I started (and I am very happy with my accomplishments), but I'm slow enough to worry about cutoff times for the events. Completing the distance is no sweat - I'm 100% confident there. Just have to keep my head and watch the heart rate. But I would like to have an 'official' finish.

Here are my average times\speeds - at these levels I am comfortably in the steady range and can complete the workout at the same rate that I started or slight negative splits.

Swim: 2:30 per 100yds
Bike: 16.5 mph
Run 11:45-12:15\mile

What is the most appropriate next step: add intensity or just continue with the steady\mod-hard zones? Running is where I think I lag the most.

Given a workout pace targeting 130bpm (plus or minus) heart rate, what should my approximate heart rate targets be for a sprint or olympic race? I remember your +10 rule. Should I go 135 swim, 145 bike, 155 run?

PS - Once I 'got it' my life has completely changed. I owe you a ton - you'll never really know how much - for your book and guidance as a mentor. I've now lost over 40 pounds, all my vitals are very good, and I have no trace of the asthma that got me started. Plus, after seeing the results my wife and kids are exercising as well. The video game machine in our house has dust on it. My youngest son that has had weight problems as well and is down 8-10 pounds and wants a real road bike so he can join a bike club. I cannot thank you enough...
2009-05-13 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2148403

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
BBDope - 2009-05-13 12:48 PM Jeff,
Those are great questions that i have been looking for answers as well.  I look forward to seeing G's response.  By the way, you are doing awesome with all of this.  I strive for your consistency.  Keep it up.  I also think it is time for you to race again.

Brian

Thanks Brian.  I'm fortunate with my current lifestyle that it is much easier to maintain consistency.  Earlier in my life when there were still 3 kids in the nest (college, weddings, etc..), work related stresses from doing sales in the high tech. industry, I rolled off the exercise wagon.  In retrospect, that was a big mistake.  I'm making up for lost time!!!     

Edited by junthank 2009-05-14 8:55 AM
2009-05-14 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2149493

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
gtkelly - 2009-05-13 7:03 PM Gordo - glad you're still around. Have a question for you.

Problem is I am slow. Way slow. Yes, I am faster relative to where I started (and I am very happy with my accomplishments), but I'm slow enough to worry about cutoff times for the events. Completing the distance is no sweat - I'm 100% confident there. Just have to keep my head and watch the heart rate. But I would like to have an 'official' finish.

Here are my average times\speeds - at these levels I am comfortably in the steady range and can complete the workout at the same rate that I started or slight negative splits.

Swim: 2:30 per 100yds
Bike: 16.5 mph
Run 11:45-12:15\mile

What is the most appropriate next step: add intensity or just continue with the steady\mod-hard zones? Running is where I think I lag the most.

Given a workout pace targeting 130bpm (plus or minus) heart rate, what should my approximate heart rate targets be for a sprint or olympic race? I remember your +10 rule. Should I go 135 swim, 145 bike, 155 run?

PS - Once I 'got it' my life has completely changed. I owe you a ton - you'll never really know how much - for your book and guidance as a mentor. I've now lost over 40 pounds, all my vitals are very good, and I have no trace of the asthma that got me started. Plus, after seeing the results my wife and kids are exercising as well. The video game machine in our house has dust on it. My youngest son that has had weight problems as well and is down 8-10 pounds and wants a real road bike so he can join a bike club. I cannot thank you enough...

Change ourselves and we change the world!

Sounds like you're a success before ever racing, that's always a nice place to be.  A lot of fast athletes will never get to where you are right now.  Remember that feeling as it is the real benefit of the choices that you've made.

In terms of 'what's next' - keep doing what's working.  I wouldn't add anything volume, or intensity.  Settle in and repeat through the summer.  You'll keep making progress.  As your weight settles and your fitness deepens, the running will improve.

Now with the sprint tri effort - that's is a reasonable range you have laid out.  You could consider testing those efforts in advance (see my new thread for a workout example of a swim/bike/run day).

I'd say you were a pretty good mentee!  My advice makes a lot more sense when you come to it after trying other methods.

2009-05-15 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
G,

I have finally (consistently) conquered the descending drill.  I'm using 200 meter intervals  b/c that's want fits into my timeframe.  I normally do this drill on Friday when I only have 20 minutes available for swimming.  On my swim build days (Wednesday) I have been doing consecutive freestyle swims to build endurance/extend my distance.  Going forward is there another drill/skill that I need to add to my swimming repertoire?  Or is it better to just keep focusing on:

1) Building different swim paces (descending drill)
2) Build endurance (consecutive freestyle swims)

Thanks. 

2009-05-16 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2153125

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
junthank - 2009-05-15 10:20 AM G,

I have finally (consistently) conquered the descending drill.  I'm using 200 meter intervals  b/c that's want fits into my timeframe.  I normally do this drill on Friday when I only have 20 minutes available for swimming.  On my swim build days (Wednesday) I have been doing consecutive freestyle swims to build endurance/extend my distance.  Going forward is there another drill/skill that I need to add to my swimming repertoire?  Or is it better to just keep focusing on:

1) Building different swim paces (descending drill)
2) Build endurance (consecutive freestyle swims)

Thanks. 

Those are the two key points to continue to address -- I'd say that building endurance is #1 priority (see my articled called Benchmarking Your Swimming -- I lay out a multi-year progression for learning to swim).

++

For technique... this re-post might help give you a picture....

++

...have a look through and listen to Dave's tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SVfLvO5Z0M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYt8x_7uL48

When he talks about extension, my preference is a Swing Recovery where your hand enters the water where it lands -- watch the female swimmers' right arm (left hand side of screen) in the video when she swims. 
2009-05-16 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2154791

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
GordoByrn - 2009-05-16 10:55 AM
junthank - 2009-05-15 10:20 AM G,

Thanks. 

Those are the two key points to continue to address -- I'd say that building endurance is #1 priority (see my articled called Benchmarking Your Swimming -- I lay out a multi-year progression for learning to swim).

++

For technique... this re-post might help give you a picture....

++

...have a look through and listen to Dave's tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SVfLvO5Z0M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYt8x_7uL48

When he talks about extension, my preference is a Swing Recovery where your hand enters the water where it lands -- watch the female swimmers' right arm (left hand side of screen) in the video when she swims. 

Thanks.  This is the 1st time I have seen the youtube technique tips.  Excellent!!!

Also read you swim benchmark article.  I believe I read the article a few months back but my swim technique/endurance was in no shape to even attempt the benchmark drills you outlined.  Now I'll start integrating them in my swim workouts.
2009-05-16 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2149493

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
gtkelly - 2009-05-13 9:03 PM Gordo - glad you're still around. Have a question for you.

Congra's on the lifestyle changes.  40lbs - WOW.
2009-05-18 4:05 AM
in reply to: #2155091

User image

Regular
Essex, England
X2 on the above an amazing transformation your family must be incredibly proud of you.
As for your speeds at all my races your swim speed would be fine, your bike speed is certainly mid pack. I agree your run speed is quite slow but you can run for 90 minutes so as Gordo says by sticking with your program you will get faster naturally. maybe forget sprint races and go for the olympics where your great endurance will suit and you will find a lot of people who may beat your swim time will be the ones you come running past towards the finish.
2009-05-18 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2156986

User image

Veteran
Pashda - 2009-05-18 5:05 AM X2 on the above an amazing transformation your family must be incredibly proud of you.
As for your speeds at all my races your swim speed would be fine, your bike speed is certainly mid pack. I agree your run speed is quite slow but you can run for 90 minutes so as Gordo says by sticking with your program you will get faster naturally. maybe forget sprint races and go for the olympics where your great endurance will suit and you will find a lot of people who may beat your swim time will be the ones you come running past towards the finish.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Very much appreciated!

We are thinking very much the same here. I'm doing some sprints mainly to get acquainted with the process and transition. It will also be the only 'intensity workouts' that I do.  I'm come to the conclusion that I'm much more comfortable with less intense efforts at longer durations.  Just the way I'm wired I guess...

2009-05-25 5:04 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
G,

Couple questions for you.  First nutritional.  My wife and I have become addicted to edamame as a snack before dinner.  From what I have read over the internet it appears to be a no-brainer with regard to it's nutritional value.  Just thought I would bounce it off you to see if there any reason why one should avoid this.

Second question - training in heat and humidity in Southwest Florida.  I believe I read somewhere that you lived/trained in Bermuda so I'm sure this is something you had to deal with.  I have taken your advice and scheduled my two week transition period the last week of July and the first week of August (something I would of never thought about doing on my own, but so obvious when you think about it).  Tips, thoughts, rules for dealing with heat and humidity while training?

Some of the things I thought about were:

For B & R sessions:  Do'em as early in the AM as possible.
Hydration:  Have plenty of it on hand while training (What about hydration the night before?)
Session Focus:  Maybe incorporate a little more swimming than normal.  A little less biking/running (I think you made this suggestion - maybe not?)

Thanks.

Edited by junthank 2009-05-25 5:09 PM
2009-05-26 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2172067

User image

Veteran
Good questions above. I've been looking for answers to those so can't wait to hear the response.

To them I would just add:

G - what is your opinion on salt replacement during the bike\run. Something like Enduralytes. Do these make sense and at what point should we begin to consider them (i.e. 1 hr workout, 2 hours, more)??
2009-05-27 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2172067

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
junthank - 2009-05-25 4:04 PM G,

Couple questions for you.  First nutritional.  My wife and I have become addicted to edamame as a snack before dinner.  From what I have read over the internet it appears to be a no-brainer with regard to it's nutritional value.  Just thought I would bounce it off you to see if there any reason why one should avoid this.

Second question - training in heat and humidity in Southwest Florida.  I believe I read somewhere that you lived/trained in Bermuda so I'm sure this is something you had to deal with.  I have taken your advice and scheduled my two week transition period the last week of July and the first week of August (something I would of never thought about doing on my own, but so obvious when you think about it).  Tips, thoughts, rules for dealing with heat and humidity while training?

Some of the things I thought about were:

For B & R sessions:  Do'em as early in the AM as possible.
Hydration:  Have plenty of it on hand while training (What about hydration the night before?)
Session Focus:  Maybe incorporate a little more swimming than normal.  A little less biking/running (I think you made this suggestion - maybe not?)

Thanks.

Soy beans -- if you stay moderate with intake not an issue from my point of view.  Although, I think Joe Friel might not be a fan. You could check Paleo for Athletes book for more info on Joe's point.  As with any food choice... the real question is what is the alternative?  I tend to make recommendations based on what else the athlete would eat.  If you are replacing potato chips... it's a no-brainer.

HEAT TIPS -- I posted this somewhere but may have been in new group...

Few ideas for you to bear in mind...

Hydration -- easy to get a low level of chronic dehydration through the warmer months -- in Hong Kong, I need to make sure that water was available everywhere in my life -- beside bed, every meal, in car, beside desk... everywhere I went

Stress -- increased HR is a sign of increased stress -- it is tempting to adjust zones upward to get 'normal' (perhaps more accurately, 'desired') training paces/powers -- this is often a mistake -- if you accept lower pace/power then, for your endurance work, you will gradually adapt. For your higher intensity work, you will need to train indoors with air conditioning and/or accept a lower work rate.

Racing -- there is the pace that you can sustain in a temperate climate and there is the pace that you can sustain under heat stress. Living in Florida, you'll learn the difference. Many athletes that live outside of extreme heat forget this when they face heat stress -- result is underperformance. We must train/race at the effort appropriate for the conditions we face.

Electrolyte Panel -- certain athletes can lose significant amounts of key electrolytes -- if performance drops significantly then ask your doc to check your electrolyte levels to ensure that the heat has not depleted you.

Recovery -- if you live in extreme heat then phasing your year to have an unloading period in the hottest months can make a lot of sense. You may also find that you have a key advantage when racing temperate athletes in early season races that are prone to heat.

Fluids -- I have found that the body's ability to process fluids is highly trainable -- this is a key adaptation that needs to be achieved to have success with long term training in the heat.

Training Camps -- similar to altitude-based athletes going to sea level for training camps... it can make sense to travel to cooler climates for training camps.

++

Hydration Night Before -- main thing is gradual across the day and don't fall behind.

Early training -- smart.

Hope this helps,
2009-05-27 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2172799

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
gtkelly - 2009-05-26 7:26 AM Good questions above. I've been looking for answers to those so can't wait to hear the response.

To them I would just add:

G - what is your opinion on salt replacement during the bike\run. Something like Enduralytes. Do these make sense and at what point should we begin to consider them (i.e. 1 hr workout, 2 hours, more)??

Electrolyte replacement -- It depends.  For some people it seems to greatly help gastric emptying.  You should also talk with your doc about the impact of placing yourself (potentially) on a high sodium diet.

++

More from me in another thread...

For me, the range is 0-1000 mg per hour on my 8-9 hour days. For my story, as my fitness increased, I cramped less. In other words, early career cramps were due to fatigue (from eccentric load?) in my running muscles, rather that electrolyte issues. As my fitness increased, I removed all sodium supplements with no issues.

Some of my pals report gastric emptying slows/fails in heat with low sodium intake. However, I am not sure if there is any research to support. There is a lot of anecdotal reports, though.

General point is that 'salty' beverages are more tasty then 'sweet' once they warm up and over time. The the beverage that tastes best when sipped in the kitchen (sweet) will likely not win after 6-10 quarts have been consumed on a toasty day in Jackson.

High Sodium Diet -- chronic sodium supplementation would likely be equivalent to placing one's self on a high sodium diet. The docs are better placed to advise on the implications of that. I'm on a low sodium diet as I don't eat much processed food (although our week at Hotel Arizona probably topped me up -- bacon, Larry, bacon...)

++

More from a very experienced ultra guy that I coach...

Obviously I don't have Ironman experience, but I have a good amount of experience at events lasting 8 to 30 hours. Given that the only similarity is duration of events and not direct sport specificity, this should be taken with a grain of salt (excuse the pun!). First of all, in terms of body size, I am about six feet and 185 lbs. I shoot for 300 to 600mg of sodium an hour. Supplementation is a bit of an art as far as I am concerned. Some basic rules I consider

1 I always supplement 300mg per hour minimum. If it is really hot like sweat dripping off my sunvisor and arms, I will take a 300mg capsule every 30 min. After dark I drop my sodium to 300mg every hour as my sweat rate usually falls.
2 If I start to feel nauseated, bloated, or just blah and have been sweating alot, I will up my sodium to 300mg every 20 min for and hour or so until the above symptoms abate. These symptoms are commonly due to low grade hyponatremia.

3 I would rather get an early case of too little sodium (ie a little nausea or bloating) than carry too much sodium in my body all day. I have found if I am really aggressive with sodium, fluid retention and foot blisters can become a real issue (not sure if that would be a big deal on a road marathon but it tears my feet up on trails)

++

From the MD on my coaching team...

My experience parallels Gordo's, in that when I started triathlons, I was taking endurolytes for every race for the 1st year or two and would occasionally have cramping issues. I haven't taken any additional sodium supplementation the past 5 years in any race or training and haven't had any cramping issues. I attribute that to gains in fitness rather than any electrolyte issue.

The scientific literature hasn't been helpful to me in sorting this question out. There is really little evidence that supplementation with any substance reduces cramping.

I suspect that it is more important to get sodium levels correct in regard to osmolality of your nutrition (drink mix) for gut absorption than cramping prevention.

Having said that, there must be considerable individual variability. Guys who clearly have remarkable fitness have demonstrated increase sweat losses determined at centers like the Gatorade institute. The famous commercial with Chris Legh reporting his increased sodium needs is an example and I believe that Molina had similiar high requirements.

But, in general, I think fitness and durability (resistance to eccentric exercise) is more important in regards to cramping. Sodium intake is more important to get correct for gut absorption (interesting Bill's commments in regard to sodium intake are more GI related-ultramarathoners are generally pretty in tune folks). 

2009-05-29 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2176217

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
GordoByrn - 2009-05-27 2:49 PM

Fluids -- I have found that the body's ability to process fluids is highly trainable -- this is a key adaptation that needs to be achieved to have success with long term training in the heat.

I not sure that I understand exactly what you are saying here.  Are you saying that as you consume more fluids because of heat the body adapts to this and processes those fluids in a different manner?

Training Camps -- similar to altitude-based athletes going to sea level for training camps... it can make sense to travel to cooler climates for training camps.

Training Camps.  Actually this is something that I've been thinking about and seems like it would be a ton of fun but I haven't done any research on what's available out there.  Obviously Camp Gordo is the best on the market but my sense is that the endurance level of the athletes that attend your camps are way above my own.  When does it make sense for someone of my ability to think about doing this? 

As always, thanks a bunch.

2009-05-29 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2180707

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
junthank - 2009-05-29 8:27 AM

I not sure that I understand exactly what you are saying here.  Are you saying that as you consume more fluids because of heat the body adapts to this and processes those fluids in a different manner?

Training Camps.  Actually this is something that I've been thinking about and seems like it would be a ton of fun but I haven't done any research on what's available out there.  Obviously Camp Gordo is the best on the market but my sense is that the endurance level of the athletes that attend your camps are way above my own.  When does it make sense for someone of my ability to think about doing this? 

As always, thanks a bunch.

Your ability to empty fluids from your gut is helped when there is more fluid in your gut (see Noakes, Lore of Running).  Your ability to perform with a gut full of fluids is trainable -- it takes a little getting used to.

Separate from the above - my experience is that my rate of emptying increased over time - this is likely due to being more comfortable with fluids on the inside.  Relaxation really helps gastric emptying. 

You can do a camp any time -- we get all levels and you'd be welcome.  Your best bet would be one of our Boulder Camps, which are useful for all levels/distances.  We dial the training to suit your background and goals.  If you follow the Endurance Nation camps you'll see that regular folks can do some pretty amazing things when all they have to do is train.

Frey/Huddle offer all abilities camps as well and I've heard good things about their approach from the full range of athletes.

I started with my own camps by simply trying to swim/bike/run each day on a long weekend.  I also enjoyed bike touring so I'd do multiple long ride days.

2009-05-29 2:46 PM
in reply to: #2181118

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
GordoByrn - 2009-05-29 12:34 PM

Your ability to empty fluids from your gut is helped when there is more fluid in your gut (see Noakes, Lore of Running).  Your ability to perform with a gut full of fluids is trainable -- it takes a little getting used to.

Separate from the above - my experience is that my rate of emptying increased over time - this is likely due to being more comfortable with fluids on the inside.  Relaxation really helps gastric emptying. 

Performance with a gut full of fluid... Ahhh... Get it now.  Interesting that the subject come up today.  Before doing my short swim/run workout earlier today I stopped by the local coffee/bike shop to chat for a minute and get a latte.  Drank a 16 oz.  latte as I was doing my walking warmup on the treadmill.  Jumped in the pool, did a short 20 minute swim and then jumped on the treadmill for a 33 minute run.  The 16 oz. of latte in my gut didn't feel very good during the run.  Would of probably been better if it was water as opposed to espresso/milk.

BTW, the owner of the coffee/bike shop contemplated turning into a professional triathlete.  When I mentioned your name his response was.....  Gordo is well known and a well respected individual in the sport.  So your popularity has even reached the shores of Sarasota, FL. 

You can do a camp any time -- we get all levels and you'd be welcome.  Your best bet would be one of our Boulder Camps, which are useful for all levels/distances.  We dial the training to suit your background and goals.  If you follow the Endurance Nation camps you'll see that regular folks can do some pretty amazing things when all they have to do is train.

When I do a training camp it will be one of yours. 

On the training camp subject - when and also does it make sense when planning out your ATP to build in a training camp session?  For example, would it make sense to plan a training camp as part of your training around your A-priority race for the year?  Rather for me, planning my A-priority race around a training camp.

Frey/Huddle offer all abilities camps as well and I've heard good things about their approach from the full range of athletes.

I started with my own camps by simply trying to swim/bike/run each day on a long weekend.  I also enjoyed bike touring so I'd do multiple long ride days.

Finally, I just checked out your Endurance Corner Blog.  Honestly I have not even finished reading your article yet but that picture of what I assume is your little daughter reaching for that huge sandwich with the title "Long Term Greedy" just absolutely cracked me up laughing.  That is a classic!!!

Edited by junthank 2009-05-29 3:16 PM
2009-05-30 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2181837

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
junthank - 2009-05-29 1:46 PM
GordoByrn - 2009-05-29 12:34 PM

Performance with a gut full of fluid... Ahhh... Get it now.  Interesting that the subject come up today.  Before doing my short swim/run workout earlier today I stopped by the local coffee/bike shop to chat for a minute and get a latte.  Drank a 16 oz.  latte as I was doing my walking warmup on the treadmill.  Jumped in the pool, did a short 20 minute swim and then jumped on the treadmill for a 33 minute run.  The 16 oz. of latte in my gut didn't feel very good during the run.  Would of probably been better if it was water as opposed to espresso/milk.

BTW, the owner of the coffee/bike shop contemplated turning into a professional triathlete.  When I mentioned your name his response was.....  Gordo is well known and a well respected individual in the sport.  So your popularity has even reached the shores of Sarasota, FL. 

When I do a training camp it will be one of yours. 

On the training camp subject - when and also does it make sense when planning out your ATP to build in a training camp session?  For example, would it make sense to plan a training camp as part of your training around your A-priority race for the year?  Rather for me, planning my A-priority race around a training camp.

Finally, I just checked out your Endurance Corner Blog.  Honestly I have not even finished reading your article yet but that picture of what I assume is your little daughter reaching for that huge sandwich with the title "Long Term Greedy" just absolutely cracked me up laughing.  That is a classic!!!

A genetic attraction to burgers... I'm not a natural!

2009-05-31 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
G,

After reading so much of the content you have published on the various platforms (Going Long, EC, Mentoring Group responses, xtri, etc...) its clear the importance of recovery.  I also understand from your teachings that I should "keep the easy days easy".  So I get it.  But I do have a question about training volume during recovery weeks.  When I put together my ATP (with your thoughtful guidance) I scheduled SBR workouts with much lower volumes during the recovery weeks.  Of course on non-recovery weeks I'm bumping up the SBR volume to build endurance almost on a weekly basis.  However, during recovery weeks in my current plan I don't increase the volume at all (i.e.. it remains the same from week 1 thru week 52).  As I build my SBR endurance during the year should my recovery week SBR workouts also get ramped up as well?

PS:  Probably what prompted this question is I'm going into a recovery week and I'm feeling pretty strong.  That has not always been the case.  The last thing I want to do is get caught in the trap of increasing the volume during a recovery week and then not be able to hit the volume during build weeks.  Ahh.... I remember the importance you place on being able to hit your key workouts.....  Maybe I just answered my own question.  Your advice?

Edited by junthank 2009-05-31 1:38 PM
2009-06-01 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2184393

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
junthank - 2009-05-31 12:28 PM G,

After reading so much of the content you have published on the various platforms (Going Long, EC, Mentoring Group responses, xtri, etc...) its clear the importance of recovery.  I also understand from your teachings that I should "keep the easy days easy".  So I get it.  But I do have a question about training volume during recovery weeks.  When I put together my ATP (with your thoughtful guidance) I scheduled SBR workouts with much lower volumes during the recovery weeks.  Of course on non-recovery weeks I'm bumping up the SBR volume to build endurance almost on a weekly basis.  However, during recovery weeks in my current plan I don't increase the volume at all (i.e.. it remains the same from week 1 thru week 52).  As I build my SBR endurance during the year should my recovery week SBR workouts also get ramped up as well?

PS:  Probably what prompted this question is I'm going into a recovery week and I'm feeling pretty strong.  That has not always been the case.  The last thing I want to do is get caught in the trap of increasing the volume during a recovery week and then not be able to hit the volume during build weeks.  Ahh.... I remember the importance you place on being able to hit your key workouts.....  Maybe I just answered my own question.  Your advice?

Good question -- don't bump the recovery weeks -- the reason is that the "on" weeks are progressing.  You want to be feeling "good" by about Day Four of the recovery weeks.

2009-06-04 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
G,

Do you think it is reasonable for me to believe that I could finish (not race!!) an IM distance race by the end of the 2010 without compromising anything (i.e... health, passion for the sport, etc...)?

Going Long says I need to:

1) Have 2-5 years experience (I'll have 2 yrs. of training in by the end of 2010)
2) Finish 1/2 IM in under 8 hrs. (Don't know, have not tried - Thoughts were to put one on the schedule in the late spring of 2010, if it goes well continue training for IM, if not re-evaluate).
3) Swim 3000 meters, ride 5 hrs., and run 2 hrs. without requiring extended recovery time (I have swam 2400 meters consecutively, rode 3 hrs., and run for 1.25 hrs.  in individual sessions but not in a single day).

Maybe the heat is starting to get to me while training and my thoughts are starting to get out of hand but I had to ask the question.
2009-06-04 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2194263

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
junthank - 2009-06-04 7:10 AM G,

Do you think it is reasonable for me to believe that I could finish (not race!!) an IM distance race by the end of the 2010 without compromising anything (i.e... health, passion for the sport, etc...)?

Going Long says I need to:

1) Have 2-5 years experience (I'll have 2 yrs. of training in by the end of 2010)
2) Finish 1/2 IM in under 8 hrs. (Don't know, have not tried - Thoughts were to put one on the schedule in the late spring of 2010, if it goes well continue training for IM, if not re-evaluate).
3) Swim 3000 meters, ride 5 hrs., and run 2 hrs. without requiring extended recovery time (I have swam 2400 meters consecutively, rode 3 hrs., and run for 1.25 hrs.  in individual sessions but not in a single day).

Maybe the heat is starting to get to me while training and my thoughts are starting to get out of hand but I had to ask the question.

You'll need to make a lot of compromises, and choices, to do IM -- in a sense, that's the point of the journey.  It's a very challenging undertaking.

The next step is to do a Half IM -- training for that will give you a taste of what to expect for IM.  With your current endurance benchmarks, you'd be able to safely ramp up for a HIM.

2009-06-06 6:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Gordo -

As always, thanks for the excellent advice. I spoke to the doc, tried salt a few times, and I can tell absolutely no difference.  Doc (marathon runner and as of last week an Endurance Corner reader) basically said most of that stuff was designed more to sell product and was probably necessary only for extreme cases. Live and learn - I tried it at least.

Did a race sim today for next week. Took bike from a training heart rate of 130 up to 140-145 and run at 150-155. Easily sustainable but insignificant increase in speed. Environment is not controlled so who knows what will happen race day. My plan is now to target training heart rates, then adjust based on how I feel. Start slow, finish strong. Confidence is off the charts, just working to stay focused and not blow up due to overconfidence.

Now my questions -

1.) Since this is not my 'A' race (actually training for the Oly in August) I plan to just train through this one. I'll do a long run on Monday, swim short Tuesday, get on the bike for about an hour wed followed by a 15-20 minute transition run. Thursday will be a long swim (around 2400 yards). I'm skipping Friday's run to rest. Saturday is race. Does this make sense? Should I alter this plan?

2.) For my swims I have just be going straight through. If the schedule says an hour I swim laps for an hour. 3 stroke breathing and no rest stops. Should I start doing structured workouts or just keep building endurance?

3.) Based on Going Long I've added a 15-20 minute transition run after every bike ride. I phased in easily over a week  making sure I can always hit the next day's workout. Running off the bike is now much easier, but it's probably all mental. Is this too much too soon?

4.) In Going Long you have a chapter on Mental training. Can you recommend any additional resources for this? I'm now convinced that the key to my success is all above the sholders.

Finally, picked up a book on the Paleo diet earlier this week. Reading through it. This is good stuff and makes sense. But it is going to take some adjusting. We're working ourselves into it.
2009-06-07 3:22 PM

User image

Regular
Essex, England

Hey G team hope you are all well.
Had my race today, the anniversary of my first ever tri and the race I had an issue with as last year was a disappointment to me when I bonked after the bike badly. Last year took just under 1hr 42 for 750m lake swim 20k bike and 5.4k run. This year I was much better prepared thanks to Gordo's advice with my training and was ready to go for it.
Had a gentle jog warm up and put the wetsuit on in plenty of time and made my way to swim start. Got in the lake and did a bit of swimming to get used to the cold water and on the klaxon got going and seemed to find a nice bit of space despite the 249 others around me. All was going to plan for about 200m until I breathed in just as a large handful of water got swept into my mouth. lots of choking and trying to maintain calm for about 20 seconds before I could get going again albeit still struggling to breathe. Eventually I settled into a good rythmn and was passing slower swimmers and drafting well and exited swim bang on 15 minutes right on schedule. A long uphill run to T1 and a good transition out onto the bike. Its a hilly course and was tough but I did ok although a minute or 2 slower than I would have liked. T2 uneventful and had taken my feet out of the shoes on the approach so jumped off running like the pros. Straight into the run being mindful not to go too hard and was surprised when both calves started to cramp 400m into the run so eased the pace but upped the cadence and this helped along with a downhill section. Had no idea of my race time as the stopwatch had stopped when I took my wetsuit off so just went as hard as I could using the footpod to monitor speed. As I came into the finish straight i felt strong so put in a sprint finish and made it under my target of 1hr30.

Official finish time 1:29:50 I finished 713 out of 3500ish. So happy.

Gordo thankyou sir for your wisdom and thankyou fellow mentees for the encouragement over the last few months you have all helped more than you know.

Dave

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gordo Byrn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 51