BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-01-26 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
Hello all. Back from Vail, CO. It was totally fabulous! We had a constant stream of fresh powder.

Skiing was great, but I'm hurting now! This was my first time out this season so the muscles are still pretty sore. I took a pretty bad fall on my last day. Did a couple somersaults then whacked the back of my head really good. Ouch... thank goodness I wear a helmet. My neck is still really feeling it though.

On top of that I have a new cold! So I'm taking it easy for a few days and getting started on my reading, which I'm excited about! Here are the books I got:

Triathlon Swimming Made Easy (the TI book by Terry Laughlin)
Idiot's Guide to Triathlon Training
The Triathlete's Training Bible

Hope everyone is doing great.

Tracey

2010-01-26 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2635183

New user
Happy Birthday Darren!

Thanks for the info about Team in Training Diane and Kasia. It was a good information session but not for me right now...To add in a commitment to raise money for race distances I am already training for isn't so enticing. They have been doing the Steelhead HIM and if they are doing that again next year, I might do that. Plus my roommate got engaged recently, so we are in the midst of trying to figure out when we are moving out of our current house...am I going to buy a house? Am I going to rent? Where am I going to be working in 9 months (and thus where am I going to be living)???

SteveB, thanks for the continual supply of stories and experiences.
2010-01-26 12:48 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Thanks everyone for the Birthday wishes.
2010-01-26 2:09 PM

Master
Kitchener
STEVE B,

That was a great post to Diane (as all of yours are, actually).    Definitely helps keep things in perspective.   I have had so many setbacks with running and even had to miss a whole season in '06 and 3 months in '08 but like you have said, don't let the things that you can't do keep you from doing the things you can.   

I was really looking forward to a great swim this morning and woke up with a stiff neck!   Yell   Went anyway and used the opportunity to do some drills with my snorkel.   

2010-01-26 2:14 PM

Master
Kitchener
STEVE B,

Did  my first run of RW program today - 3km.   Details in my log.   Didn't have any problem with tibialis tendonitis but I did take a walk recovery between km's.    Had MAJOR problem with Morton's neuroma - KILLED me.   I remember in another post you mentioned a different kind of neuroma.    My pain is between the 2nd toe (beside big toe) and 3rd toes.    Going to try different pair of orthotics next run.    The pair today weren't 'built' to help with the neuroma.  

2010-01-26 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2634638

User image

stevebradley - 2010-01-26 4:57 AM STEVE - As usual with your posts, there is a lot to respond to! For your run, that length and pace sound great. Clicking off 8:30 miles for 90 minutes is excellent, and it seems as if your run conditioning is building very nicely to where you want it to be in three months. Your leg problem MIGHT be shin splints, but better that than a stress-fracture, which is a deal-breaker. The fact that you are not feeling anything while running is a good sign, at least in terms of a s.f. If it's shin splints, ice will help a lot -- as should new shoes, I am sure. But shin splints -- a deceptive term, it turns out. I can't give you the gospel on this, but the term is used broadly to describe tenderness or soreness along about 2-6 inches of the tibia (shin). But there are several muscle/temdon groups there, including the posterior muscle and tendon, the anterior muscle and tendon, and the peroneus muscles and tendons. I think it's correct to say that most people who have "shin splints" feel it on the medial side, which would be the posterior group. In general, anterior shin pain is the result of tight calf muscles, while posterior tibial shin pain can be brought on by overpronation or shoes that are overworn. So if your problem is on the inside of your leg, going for new shoes might be an almost instant cure. What shoes are you currently wearing? You've probably told me, but I've forgotten. It turns out that many people who suffer shin splints need some medial posting in their shoes to help control foot movement. In my experience, here are some telltale signs to look for, beyond the broad problem areas mentioned above: (1) Is you discomfort somewhat diffuse, that is, spread out along a few inches of the shin? (2) Is the discomfort very localized, about dime size? (3) Does your shin pain start around or under your ankle bone, and then exyend up from there? If (2), then a stress fracture might be a concern; it sure was for me! If (3), then it might be posterior tibial tendonitis. I get this periodically, and Anne had it recently. For me it is a botheration, not a deal-breaker If (1), then it might be the general notion of "shin splints" with the muscles and tendons being affected, or it could be that the periosteum has been pulled away from the tibia. The periosteum is a membrane of some type, but I cannot tell you what its fubction is. I think, however, that periosteum problems are at the tale end of more conventional muscle and tendon strains, so I wouldn't worry about that one yet. Again, going back to my experience, a tibial stress fracture meant I couldn't run four steps before the pain was unbearable. "Shin splints", as I remember them hurt at the starts of runs but got better as the run progressed. They would then hurt for a while after stopping, and icing really helped a lot. I have a vague recollection of periodic "throbs" of aching at night, but I might be confusing that with somehting else. And posterior tibial tendonitis, for me, is unpredictable. Most actual runs are okay, but the soreness can persist at a low level for quite some time when I'm not running. It also responds well to ice. Shoes! Shoes! Get new shoes! (And remember to tell me what make and model you are wearing, okay?) I'll send this, then return in a while.

Hiya Steve!  Thanks for the great feedback.

I really think it's the shoes.  I got this current pair (Etonics Japara)http://www.etonic.com/run/run_shoe_product.php?ID=men_jepara in early October, so I'm likely due for a new pair (every 4 months or so I think).  This is the lighter version of the pair I used in training for the OLY last year - they seem to do the job for my particular gait.  I was fitted by a very popular running store here in LA (treadmill video and all that).  I think after almost 4 months, I could just need a new pair.  As for the pain, it seems to be a #1, definitely not #3.  And though #1 is the rule, sometimes the pain is more of a pinpoint.  All that said, no issues since Sunday.  But I will definitely start with icing the legs while I ice the knees.

As for the course and such, I think you are spot on.  While I don't have any of those long 20-mile grades nearby to train on (1-2% grades), I do have those canyons to play with.  They are actually kind of like the IMSG course in reverse, starting with very steep pitches, then leveling out to 2-4% grades for 8 miles or so.  The overall climb is the same as the IMSG route, but in half the distance.  I figure if I can master spinning on those canyons and controlling my efforts, the real course should be a cinch!  LOL.

Run - different story.  Seems to be a lot of rolling hills.  From the word on the street, I'm either climbing or descending.  I have some runs near me that are like that.  I can run up two blocks, then down two blocks and just keep churning up and down.  I started working the hill profiles on my weekday runs as well.  So I'm going up and down from 2% to 8% on the treadmill for an hour. 

2010-01-26 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Hope everyone is having a great week so far ... getting over colds and injuries!

DARREN, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! HOPE IT'S BEEN A GREAT DAY!

DIANE, hope your daughter is feeling better. The mini-sprint that you were talking about doing in North Houston was my first triathlon two years ago, and did it again last year. You can check out my race log for the details. It's a nice race because it's all women. I'm not planning on doing it this year, but will probably volunteer.

DENISE, exciting about the wetsuit. You'll have to give us a review once you get it.

STEVE A, good idea to stay away from the IMSG group. Only positive energy in GrooveTime!

KASIA, I'm starting on level 3 of the 12 weeks sprint plan in the Triathlete plan book next week.  Think I'll finish that one, than start on the 16 week oly plan.

DWAYNE, congrats on the 4lb weight loss!

TRACEY, welcome back!

EVERYONE, have a great week!!

2010-01-26 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2635070

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Steve,

Ooh, now you're getting me excited about Loveland Lake to Lake (that's the one, btw) and feeling slightly better about copping out on Rage. I haven't mentioned anything on the message boards about it, but have been thinking about putting it off for a couple weeks and just recently made the decision. So yeah, you're not missing anything at all

I've heard good things about L2L and it's still early-ish in the season so it seems like a really good fit. I don't think I'm going to do any of the 5430 series. They're too expensive and I don't really wanna race in my backyard. Takes away some of the allure of doing a new course and seeing something different, even if it's just an hour away.

I was thinking then of building up a base before I start training for L2L, like starting with 4 workouts a week and slowly building to 6 workouts a week, since that was really hard for me to do this time around. Any help on that?
2010-01-26 9:11 PM
in reply to: #2636415

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Steve again,

Loveland Lake to Lake is June 26.

PumpkinMan (the Vegas substitute race for Rage) is October 23, but I'm not sure if we're going to do that for sure yet. I may just transfer the money to next year's Rage. I'll let you know what I decide, though.
2010-01-26 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2635203

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Tracey,

I'm glad you guys enjoyed Vail! I was up kinda in that neck of the woods (Keystone and Breckenridge) a couple weeks ago and there wasn't much snow off the groomers. What they had was nice, but there just wasn't much of it. Good to hear there's some powder up there now. We definitely need it!
2010-01-26 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2635474

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
And Happy Birthday DARREN!!!

SHAUN,

Your reasons for not doing TNT are exactly the same as mine. Too much to fit in with fundraising and everything, in addition to preparing for the actual tri. I hope you get everything with house and work figured out. Good luck!

LISA,

Good for you! Level 3? Wow! I'm going to be restarting the Oly plan in a few weeks, and hopefully by then I'll be up a level. At least that's the plan

2010-01-27 6:20 AM

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Speaking for the group, we are positively giddy with the thought that you brought us back nifty souvenirs fro Vail. That was so sweet of you!

Glad it went well, glad your head is still attached to your shoulders. Thank god fro small mercies, eh?

Nice book collection! The T.I. one will get you psyched for further swim adventures, and the other two should complement each other beautifully. There was sone discussion here earlier about Triathlete's Training Bible, and I said that it is the best overall book on the market, but that it can probably overwhelm people. So to balance it you have "Idiot's...", and that just seems like the perfect yin-yang combination. Bon apetit!

2010-01-27 6:36 AM
in reply to: #2635333

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

Yeah, those are all good reasons you have for not doing Team this year. Can't say I blame you in the least, as you really do have some gnarly issues to deal with.

I'm glad other people had good info on Team, because I don't. At least not first-hand. I get inspired by their presence at races and the huge cameraderie that they generate, but I've never considered doing it myself.

An ugly episode happened about 5-6 years ago, and I think it started over at the Slowtwicth forum. A forum thread was created along the lines that Team should not be at the bigger and/or longer events, because (a) they were generally not trained adequately, and (b) they took up coveted spots at the quick-to-fill races. This generated a landslide of posts, with most supporting the original poster. There were a few dissenters, but they got trounced quite handily, overall. This was one of the few times I was truly ashamed to consider myself a triathlete, right up there with the notion that some triathletes have that they can just blow into a town or community for a race and act as if they own it.

But I digress! The more pleasant side of this story is that several months later one of the tri magazines (or was it one of the running mags?) did an article of Team in Training and when and where they should be racing, and the consensus presented in the article was Team had every right to race whenever and wherever they wanted, and that what they added to the world far outweighed the rather narrow needs of those triathletes with a large sense of false entitlement.

As for Steelhead, that is another race that is perennially on my to-do list, but I haven't made it there yet. Very cool swim scene (although the swim was turned into a run in '09 because the lake was so wild that neither of the two swim options was considered safe), and a beautiful bike. Some people complain about the run being a bit boring, but you can't win 'em all!

2010-01-27 6:57 AM
in reply to: #2635675

User image

Champion

ANNE -

I've been told that the name for the neuroma between the 2nd and 3rd toes is Heuter's --- which may or may not be the right name, and may or may not be the right spelling! I'm pretty sure it's the right name, and is pronounced HOY-turz. As it goiters.

That's the one that eventually brought me to surgery in January '06 (can it be that long ago??), which turned out to be a good move. It's kind of hard to imagine a bundle of nerves creating so much discomfort, but there you have it. I had some success with compression pads marketed under the name of Metatarsal Lift, from Pro-Tec Athletics (www.injurybegone.com), but it wasn't enough to keep me away from the surgeon. But that was me, and they might work for you. It's certainly a good first-line of attack, if you haven't tried it before. But if your own orthotics have a built-it pad or ridge, then that might be enough. Keep me posted on how the neuroma is acting.

And you're off on the run program! Ta-da! Well done, and especially good that the tibial tendon settled down. When mine ails me, it is very much hit-and-run. Stealth attacks. Zip, zap. Here today, gone tomorrow. There is nothing obvious that gets it going*, so it's a bit tough to manage.

*(Probably didn't need the asterisk, as this closely follows it.)
I used to use stability shoes, and one of the hints I had that they were too much shoe for me was the posterior tibial tendon. At the time my shoes were Asics 2000-series for trianing, Asics DS Trainer for racing -- except I used the DS more than the 20xx. It came to pass that whenever I would use the 20xx, the pos. tib. ten. would act up, so for me the culprit was too much medial posting; the D.S. Trainer has less posting, so it didn't affcet my p.t.t. That eventually led me to neutral shoes, and those work great for just about everything -- p.t.t. included. It can act up on me occasionally, and I think that is when the outside of my shoe gets worn down too much, putting me in essentailly the same position that medial posting does. (I under-pronate quite dramatically.) And the p.t.t. is only a problem on the left foot.

2010-01-27 7:16 AM
in reply to: #2635724

User image

Champion

STEVE -

Your shoe info made me realize that I know nothing about Etonic, so I spent a merry while yesterday exploring their website and satisfying many of the cravings of my running shoe fetish.

So! Now I can talk the Etonic talk! Jepara! Tayu! Praya! Kendari! Minado! (I have no idea what those names mean; that'll be the next step.) I understand what 3DRP refers to, and that it involves a "skelatized" stability plate. Skelatized! I love that word! But mostly I glean from it that the Jepara is the step down from the Minado, which is Etonic's motion control shoe. So, I'm figuring that the Jepara is a pretty solid stability shoe, much along the lines of the Asics 2100 series.

How this affects your leg is that you need the stability features of the Jepara to hold up for you, and that once they start breaking down some it is a good bet that you will feel things in your knees and shin. I think I mentioned that shin problems can affect people who overpronate, and if that's the case with you then getting new shoes should help. I hope!

It is always tricky to determine when one needs new shoes. I used to religiously keep track of my mileage and kind of aim for 400-500 miles, but tat seemed way too much for me. It might work for a 118-pound Kenyan with 300% perfect biomechanics, but not for me. So, I err on the conservative side and replace shoes likely well before it is essential. (Kind of like ink cartridges for the printer!)

Anyhow, Etonic has a nifty website, with lots of evocative photos. My only grouse with it is that I couldn't find info on how much the shoes weigh, but that was probably me just not looking hard enough.

2010-01-27 7:33 AM
in reply to: #2635724

User image

Champion

STEVE again -

"......the real course should be a cinch! LOL"

Well, I'm hoping that the LOL part isn't necessary. I'm not saying that the course will be easy, to be sure, but I'm a big believer in the benefits of controlled, methodical spinning up hills, especially when they are accompanied by a sense of mental calm. For me and tough race climbs, I get a lot of mileage out of just steadying myself and bearing down -- actually, it's almost "easing down". I try not to get tense at all, and simply work at clicking off those circles. This probably sounds Zen-like, and it might be -- I'm not Zennish at all, except maybe on hills in races! I do not view myself as a good climber, and I don't have hills close by to train on, and ~175 pounds doesn't help much.......but in most hilly races i easily pass most people that are on the hill with me. I just see them as "fighting" the hill, trying to muscle their way over it, and so my approach seems to work quite well be comparison. So if you can keep working at at climbing those canyons, that should help a LOT at SG. Have you switched out cassettes yet?

Good to hear the shin is better, and also that if anything the discomfort is diffuse rather than tightly localized. Whew! I mean, no shin pain is the obvious goal, but in my experience if there must be shin pain, better that it be diffused!

Your training for the SG run sounds great. Relentless ups and doens are not ideal, so as long as you have a feel for that from your training, that'll make those 26.2 miles in Utah that much more tolerable. I have no earthly idea how I could manage to effectively train for that SG run, so you are very fortunate to have a few places near you that to some degree mimic the topography of SG.

2010-01-27 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2636161

User image

Champion

LISA -

And are you getting over your own cold? I keep flirting with perceived illnesses, but nothing has materialized. Lynn and I have both had healthy winters -- so far! I have a corker of a headache right now, and I woke up with it, but I don't think it portends anything worse on the horizon.

Get/stay healthy!

2010-01-27 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2636415

User image

Champion

KASIA -

With thatvJune 26 date, you have lots of time now to get yourself fully ready. Thinking about a full 12 week Build and Peak for it gets you back to the first or second week of April, which means you now have about ten weeks to work on your Base. And considering that you have been doing a combination of Prep and Base work already, that will make your Base quite deep -- maybe about 12-16 weeks. Really, the timing for L2L could hardly be better.

I guess what this all means with respect to your question about your Base before starting training for L2L (this sentence is a train work in terms of syntax.....) is that your specific training will begin on April 5 (maybe the 12th; I'll do the math later). Itv would be ten weeks, say, before race week, with L2L itself being a Saturday. And, yes, I can try to help you fit in the necessary workouts, with six being ideal, as you suggest.

L2L or bust!!

2010-01-27 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2636672

New user
Tracey,

I'm jealous of your trip!!!

Kasia,

Even more jealous of you for where you live!!! While living near SteveB, I had a seasons pass to Mont Tremblant for a few years and also had numerous close ski hills (20 min drive) to get out a couple times a week. Ever since I moved to the US in 2005, I have not been on skiis. I'd love to live closer to mountains to get back into skiing but for right now the best I could do in flat as the prairies MI is to cross country which is not even remotely close to downhill....Oh how I miss it.

As for TNT, it is a big commitment. They wanted $3000 for Steelhead and the race is in July. I also don't see myself being ready for that distance at that time...Next year though, I'm already penciling that one in. My idea is that having structured training with coaches would make a world of difference for me at that distance than the sprint/oly distance.

SteveB,

That kind of argument really does not surprise me. Unfortunately all sports will have people with attitudes that make them believe they are the best and everyone should bow to their demands. I agree with the outcome of the magazine. In fact, it almost seems that TNT could run their own events on sheer numbers alone. (It's amazing to me some peoples sense of self worth when it comes to sports and parents of average athlete's opinions and actions at their kids sporting events.)

Pencil in Steelhead for next year Steve!

As for some other fun I find myself in...I did a reverse brick last night (run then bike) and was time compressed at that. So I ticked off 3.5 miles in 40 minutes with a 5.5 mph (11 min/mile) at 1 deg incline jog pace for 35 of the 40 minutes. Went straight from the treadmill to the spin class. Legs were rubbery in a good way. BUT...ugh...outside of left new is hurting again. Going down stairs is painful and I did ice it last night. Most discomfort is almost right at the fibula, which years ago due to a snowboard accident, I had some issues in this area. No bone break but sports doc diagnosed as an overextend or over grown quad where it wraps around the knee and connects to the fibula (at least I think this is how it connects). At this point I am toying with the idea of going to a real running store to get fit for shoes and seeing if they have one of those runner leg bands for right below the knee that covers the top of the fibula. I was given something like that at the time of the injury and it really has never bothered me since...Guessing I changed to many things in one session (faster pace by 0.5mph, longer distance by 0.2 miles and longer sustained jog time by 7.5 minutes (to get to 17.5 minutes of jog)). Any comments on possible triggers or just I was over zealous (to put it nicely) in this session to change all three at once?

I *heart* running. Wink
2010-01-27 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2634973

User image

stevebradley - 2010-01-26 7:30 AM ARTHUR - Okay, it's 48+ hours after that hilly 17, and I'm wondering if DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) has set in yet. I mean, above and beyond the leg soreness from the hills? If your legs feel OVERALL awful, it is probably DOMS and it will go away in a day or two. Hang in there! As for tactics for doing downhills, I'll try to tell you what works for me. On moderate hills, I just try to maintain my stride while leaning into it just a bit more. But while doing this, i am not trying to overstride, although lots of people do this and succeed at it. I am certain my stride is lengthening, but I'm trying not to allow it to too much. I am also trying not to get my weight too far forwrd, or to land further up on my toes. It is a controlled lean I am employing, and still aiming for a midfoot+ strike. For steeper hills, I will consciously lean back some -- but not enough to make it so that I have to absorb the impact of my hills. At least for me, the "braking" affect can cause problems in three different places -- knees, quads, hips. Hips has never been a problem for me, really, but I have found in the past that if I adjust my footfall to minimize knee impact, I feel it in my quads. As much as possible on steeeper hills, I try to maintain my same stride. I may lean back some.....but I am also trying to allow gravity to assist me. That is definitely a goal with more moderate hills, but it is also one for steep hills -- just not as attainable. Two other aspects are being loose, and going with the flow. The latter really means to allow gravity to do its thing on my behalf, and the former just means to get tense up as the descent steepens. Getting tense (shoulders, arms) is easy for me to do on steep hills, but once I become aware of it and loosen up, everything gets easier. It's like the looseness just swarms down to my legs and feet, and I have a better sense of the slope and how I am navigating it. I know that probably sounds airy-fairy, but simply relaxing on a downhill works for me. In general I strive to run relaxed, but on hills the benefits of doing so are acutely noticeable. I hope some of the above helps!

Thanks Steve - this is great feedback.  Can't wait to get out there and apply it.
2010-01-27 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2634664

User image

Darren,

Happy belated birthday!  Hope it was a great one!

2010-01-27 1:33 PM

User image

thall0672 - 2010-01-26 8:56 AM Hello all. Back from Vail, CO. It was totally fabulous! We had a constant stream of fresh powder. Skiing was great, but I'm hurting now! This was my first time out this season so the muscles are still pretty sore. I took a pretty bad fall on my last day. Did a couple somersaults then whacked the back of my head really good. Ouch... thank goodness I wear a helmet. My neck is still really feeling it though. On top of that I have a new cold! So I'm taking it easy for a few days and getting started on my reading, which I'm excited about! Here are the books I got: Triathlon Swimming Made Easy (the TI book by Terry Laughlin) Idiot's Guide to Triathlon Training The Triathlete's Training Bible Hope everyone is doing great. Tracey

ohhhh, I miss Vail.  I lived in CO for a number of years, and always loved getting up there.  Just an awesome hill. 

TI book is a good one.  Enjoy it!
2010-01-27 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2636699

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-01-27 7:57 AM ANNE - I've been told that the name for the neuroma between the 2nd and 3rd toes is Heuter's --- which may or may not be the right name, and may or may not be the right spelling! I'm pretty sure it's the right name, and is pronounced HOY-turz. As it goiters. That's the one that eventually brought me to surgery in January '06 (can it be that long ago??), which turned out to be a good move. It's kind of hard to imagine a bundle of nerves creating so much discomfort, but there you have it. I had some success with compression pads marketed under the name of Metatarsal Lift, from Pro-Tec Athletics (www.injurybegone.com), but it wasn't enough to keep me away from the surgeon. But that was me, and they might work for you. It's certainly a good first-line of attack, if you haven't tried it before. But if your own orthotics have a built-it pad or ridge, then that might be enough. Keep me posted on how the neuroma is acting. And you're off on the run program! Ta-da! Well done, and especially good that the tibial tendon settled down. When mine ails me, it is very much hit-and-run. Stealth attacks. Zip, zap. Here today, gone tomorrow. There is nothing obvious that gets it going*, so it's a bit tough to manage. *(Probably didn't need the asterisk, as this closely follows it.) I used to use stability shoes, and one of the hints I had that they were too much shoe for me was the posterior tibial tendon. At the time my shoes were Asics 2000-series for trianing, Asics DS Trainer for racing -- except I used the DS more than the 20xx. It came to pass that whenever I would use the 20xx, the pos. tib. ten. would act up, so for me the culprit was too much medial posting; the D.S. Trainer has less posting, so it didn't affcet my p.t.t. That eventually led me to neutral shoes, and those work great for just about everything -- p.t.t. included. It can act up on me occasionally, and I think that is when the outside of my shoe gets worn down too much, putting me in essentailly the same position that medial posting does. (I under-pronate quite dramatically.) And the p.t.t. is only a problem on the left foot.

Thanks for explaining about the Hueter's and the tibial tendon.     There might be something for me to explore re the tibial.   When I first got my orthotics (from a pedorthist) after my '08 injury, my phsyiotherapist didn't think I should get them that soon because my foot/ankle wasn't healed yet and thought the pedorthist wouldn't get a true reading of my foot mechanics.    Last year I got a new pair of orthotics from my podiatrist (my PT's comments were always in the back of my mind, so wanted a 2nd opinion) and he included the built in pad which seemed to have helped the nueroma.   As long as I stay away from tight shoes it doesn't act up too much.  

Since I have the coverage and it has been awhile, I am going to go back to my podiatrist and get re-examined to see if my foot mechanics have changed.   My current ones have DEEP heel footbeds and maybe that is aggravating the tibial tendons.   I use a neutral shoe.  

I had a good ride on the trainer this morning and am looking foward to a run and swim tomorrow.   

2010-01-27 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2636746

User image

stevebradley - 2010-01-27 5:33 AM STEVE again - "......the real course should be a cinch! LOL" Well, I'm hoping that the LOL part isn't necessary. I'm not saying that the course will be easy, to be sure, but I'm a big believer in the benefits of controlled, methodical spinning up hills, especially when they are accompanied by a sense of mental calm. For me and tough race climbs, I get a lot of mileage out of just steadying myself and bearing down -- actually, it's almost "easing down". I try not to get tense at all, and simply work at clicking off those circles. This probably sounds Zen-like, and it might be -- I'm not Zennish at all, except maybe on hills in races! I do not view myself as a good climber, and I don't have hills close by to train on, and ~175 pounds doesn't help much.......but in most hilly races i easily pass most people that are on the hill with me. I just see them as "fighting" the hill, trying to muscle their way over it, and so my approach seems to work quite well be comparison. So if you can keep working at at climbing those canyons, that should help a LOT at SG. Have you switched out cassettes yet? Good to hear the shin is better, and also that if anything the discomfort is diffuse rather than tightly localized. Whew! I mean, no shin pain is the obvious goal, but in my experience if there must be shin pain, better that it be diffused! Your training for the SG run sounds great. Relentless ups and doens are not ideal, so as long as you have a feel for that from your training, that'll make those 26.2 miles in Utah that much more tolerable. I have no earthly idea how I could manage to effectively train for that SG run, so you are very fortunate to have a few places near you that to some degree mimic the topography of SG.

Steve, thanks for the input.  Shooting back to the shoe talk, I was on the Minado last year, and had great success with it.  When I went in in October, I'd read about the Jepara and that it was also a good stability shoe, albeit lighter than the Minado.  I made the assumption (perhaps a bad one) that with the additional mileage I'd be putting in, a lighter shoe might be better.  The store manager put me in the Jepara and said that my left leg broke down a little more than the right, but he said it was very minimal and shouldn't be a concern.  So I went with the Jepara.  Since then, I've had more knee soreness than before, but nothing major.  Could be the shoes, could be just the additional mileage.  I am thinking that I may go back to the Minado - the weight is probably a much lesser concern than the stability at this point.

As for the hills, I am keeping the 12-25 cassette for now.  I think I'll be fine on that based on the work I've been doing.  I hear what you are saying about keeping loose - I need to remind myself to drop the shoulders sometimes when spinning up hills.  That said, we seem to have very similar climbing styles, as I tend to chase down riders going up hills while spinning as they are out of the seat, mashing their way up the hill.  Mashing may be sexy, but it's a lot of work!  I think the bike is going to be OK in SG.  The run will be a different story - but I'm looking forward to the ride.  I hope to get out there in mid/late February or early March at the latest to ride the course.  I'm checking weather.com every week looking for a Saturday with above normal temperatures so I can drive out and give it a look.

2010-01-27 7:03 PM
in reply to: #2637282

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

$3000?!? That is a very huge commitment; not for the faint of heart!

Onwards to you and your knee:

I wouldn't necessarily say that you did too much last night. Connecting the dots might suggest that, but there's no real way to tell, what with two separate workouts (albeit joined at the hip). It might be a good idea to drop the incline down to 0.5%, or just plain flat.

It sounds like it could be either illiotibial band sydrome or popliteus tendonitis, both of which affect the outside of the knee. ITB is right on the outside, and PT is a bit below it. ITB will cause you to have trouble on stairs (sometimes both up and down), but I don't think PT presents that same problem. As for the fibula itself being a contributor to the problem, I'll have to look into that, as I'm not familar with th range of fibula-related problems.

As for straps.....don't do anything yet! Why, you ask?

My understanding of the two maine types of straps is that ones for below the knee are meant to stabilize the patella itself, and help with knee aches the are felt under the kneecap, or just below it. (And by "under", I don't mean vertically - that is for the designation "below"!) The ones for above the knee work to help with ITB problems, and they are meant to be worn about an inch above the kneecap. They function by holding the illiotibial band in place so it is less able to rub back and forth over the epicondyle (?). (I put the ? there because epicondyle doesn't look quite right.) The epicondyle is a bone protrusion of the knee, and the illiotibial band is suppposed to stay firmly on one side of it; when it moves around, that's when the pain starts.

I'm just thinking that a below-the-patella strap shouldn't help much with lateral knee problems -- but I wouldn't bet my non-existent medical license on it! So, before you do anything, pay a visit to www.injurybegone.com and see how they describe the uses of both types of straps. I'm pretty sure they still market both under the trade name of Pro-Tec. As I remember, their website is quite infomative, so give it a shot. I will visit there later myself.

And good work on the run itself! I'm sorry you have experienced pain post-workout, because just statistically it was a good effort with good resuklts, I think!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276