of 150

2011-02-26 3:23 AM
in reply to: #3373309

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
akrenik - 2011-02-26 12:33 AM

So the cold weather today is freaking me out a bit.  brrr!  I am wondering about using a neoprene cap for our swim.  Has anyone out there used one?  Complaints?  I hate ordering things online.  Anyone know where I can pick one up in a store?

I use a neoprene cap for the first month or two of the season until the lakes warm up a bit. I try to do most of my swimming in the lake as soon as its tolerable. There really isn't too much to worry about. Most caps are one size fits all. I have an Orca and a Blue Seventy cap. I prefer the Blue Seventy because it just seems to mold better to my head and do not like the chin strap on the Orca.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find one outside of a tri store. They are different than a diving cap so not sure a dive shop would have what you are looking for. They cost about $25.

2011-02-26 5:55 AM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

New user

Hello all,
My name is Matt and i am a Firefighter/EMT looking to increase my distances this season.  I have 2 seasons of Sprints under my belt so I would just now call myself a beginner!  Looking forward to this year and have my first Sprint done and looking for a few others along the way.  Doing my second mini April 30th my be a Sprint or two prior to that and have an Oly planned in June  HIM isn't till July.

Started the plan this past week and looks pretty good so far pool time is near impossible for me, it is at our local middle school and I work swing shift and the pool is only open so many hours so many days a week.

Week 2 Monday Run what is 20 second strides* ?  I see the Astrix but don't see an explanation

Thanks for the help! 
2011-02-26 5:57 AM
in reply to: #3368085

User image

New user

e-initiation thats funny! I suck at the computer thing!

I am a scuba diver and you would be amazed at how much a neoprene cap will "help" to keep you warm.  It does make a difference but cold water is still cold drink plenty of coffee pee on yourself often then pressure wash your wet suit at the car wash......  Cold water good times!  LOL

Edited by Matt True 2011-02-26 6:06 AM
2011-02-26 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3373339

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Matt True - 2011-02-26 5:55 AM Hello all,
My name is Matt and i am a Firefighter/EMT looking to increase my distances this season.  I have 2 seasons of Sprints under my belt so I would just now call myself a beginner!  Looking forward to this year and have my first Sprint done and looking for a few others along the way.  Doing my second mini April 30th my be a Sprint or two prior to that and have an Oly planned in June  HIM isn't till July.

Started the plan this past week and looks pretty good so far pool time is near impossible for me, it is at our local middle school and I work swing shift and the pool is only open so many hours so many days a week.

Week 2 Monday Run what is 20 second strides* ?  I see the Astrix but don't see an explanation

Thanks for the help! 

Check out this video on how to run strides:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS9rFdeCjuk

This helped me out.
2011-02-26 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3373341

User image

Expert
, Michigan
If you can avoid it, peeing in your wetsuit is the wrong thing to do. It may make your skin feel warm for a few seconds, but what you're actually doing is emptying your body of 98* liquid.

Humans aren't built for the water, so our body kind of gets this wrong. When we swim in cold water, our body conserves heat by sending it to our core. Muscles in the walls of dermal blood vessels are stimulated to contract, decreasing the flow of heat-carrying blood throughout the skin and storing it in the core. This extra core fluid triggers a response in our bladder saying, "you have excess liquid, get rid of some of it." So we feel like peeing, releasing precious 98* fluid, further cooling our body, and continuing the cycle of "heat conservation." It's one of a few instances where our body doesn't inherently get things right.

So resist the urge to pee unless absolutely necessary.....and don't pee because you're cold.
2011-02-26 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3373426

Expert
DV 1 - 2011-02-26 8:11 AM If you can avoid it, peeing in your wetsuit is the wrong thing to do. It may make your skin feel warm for a few seconds, but what you're actually doing is emptying your body of 98* liquid.

Humans aren't built for the water, so our body kind of gets this wrong. When we swim in cold water, our body conserves heat by sending it to our core. Muscles in the walls of dermal blood vessels are stimulated to contract, decreasing the flow of heat-carrying blood throughout the skin and storing it in the core. This extra core fluid triggers a response in our bladder saying, "you have excess liquid, get rid of some of it." So we feel like peeing, releasing precious 98* fluid, further cooling our body, and continuing the cycle of "heat conservation." It's one of a few instances where our body doesn't inherently get things right.

So resist the urge to pee unless absolutely necessary.....and don't pee because you're cold.

Interesting...gonna read more about this.  Nice post. 

2011-02-27 7:30 AM

User image

New user

Joe thanks for the video!  Looking forward to those strides now.

DV-1 I was kind of kidding about the all out peeing on yourself.  I will say with lots of cold water dive experience that it did help my performance and give me some relief, we stayed in extreme water no longer than 30 minutes so long term I am sure you are right,  I have no experience in extreme cold water as a triathlete so no arguments there I guess I would question if the water is so cold that your core temp drops that much during a swim workout are you really getting benefit from that workout or just putting yourself through some unnecessary stress.  Your body uses much more energy in cold water and is much less efficient doing it so is the workout helping or hurting your training?  I don't know?
2011-02-27 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3368331

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-23 8:37 AM Great swim this am - 2300. Biked for an hour last night with a really short jog after, it felt good considering I did a HM two days prior :-)HORRIBLE weigh in today though. I have gained almost 6 lbs since beginning this plan. Clearly my nutrition is WAY off and I'm obviously to stupid to figure it out. At this rate I'll be switching from Athena to friggin Clyde :-(

I know how you feel - I've been tracking EVERYTHING and it has really made a difference (along with decreasing the calories IN ) and I'm also taking the calorie OUT count from here instead of Sparkpeople as spark has about 2x the calorie expendature that BT does.  I think i thought I was burning a LOT more than I actually was and that is why I wasn't losing.
2011-02-27 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
Ok, so here's my intro   after jumping right into the thread (I was looking at old posts for inspiration/ideas).

I'm 50 (though my FMTri card says 51 as we count by the end of the year age) and live in Mexico.  I did a HIM in the early 80s and did centuries after burning out of swimming in my early 20s (I was a fish 11-early 20s) but stopped all that in the late 80s to go to South America for 3 years then came back to the US and started having babies and 2 years ago decided to start losing all that baby weight.  I'm down about 15 kg and have maybe another 10 to go. Who knows.  I'll reevaluate at 5kg gone.  Last year I got it into my head to do a local race here - the Cozumel IM.  I'm pretty sure it is the only IM in the country and there are only 2 HIMs (though this year there might be 3) so this is really my only local race to do.  Not even an Oly unless I head way up north.  I live on the yucatan peninsula where it is Always Hot.    I only swim OWS as I have no pool, which can be nice but the last 2 weeks it has been super rough and so I've only been in twice.  I run on a jungle path loop of 5 km.  There is 1 paved road (the carretera) so that is my bike route.  Pretty simple but boring as I'd have to go to a town for diversity. 

I picked out a HIM in June and I've melded the BT and Trifuel plans as I think I need more bike time to get this old body ready for the November IM.  I also don't like all the swimming in the BT plan - well my bum shoulder doesn't, so I need to decrease that. 

I'm starting to think I might be able to finish a HIM (after yesterdays's 90km ride) but I'm totally discouraged that I'll ever finish an IM.  But I'll put my head down and crank out the training and keep Dory (from finding Nemo)'s song in my head and hope for the best.
2011-02-27 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3374127

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
kathy caribe - 2011-02-27 8:21 AM Ok, so here's my intro   after jumping right into the thread (I was looking at old posts for inspiration/ideas).

I'm 50 (though my FMTri card says 51 as we count by the end of the year age) and live in Mexico.  I did a HIM in the early 80s and did centuries after burning out of swimming in my early 20s (I was a fish 11-early 20s) but stopped all that in the late 80s to go to South America for 3 years then came back to the US and started having babies and 2 years ago decided to start losing all that baby weight.  I'm down about 15 kg and have maybe another 10 to go. Who knows.  I'll reevaluate at 5kg gone.  Last year I got it into my head to do a local race here - the Cozumel IM.  I'm pretty sure it is the only IM in the country and there are only 2 HIMs (though this year there might be 3) so this is really my only local race to do.  Not even an Oly unless I head way up north.  I live on the yucatan peninsula where it is Always Hot.    I only swim OWS as I have no pool, which can be nice but the last 2 weeks it has been super rough and so I've only been in twice.  I run on a jungle path loop of 5 km.  There is 1 paved road (the carretera) so that is my bike route.  Pretty simple but boring as I'd have to go to a town for diversity. 

I picked out a HIM in June and I've melded the BT and Trifuel plans as I think I need more bike time to get this old body ready for the November IM.  I also don't like all the swimming in the BT plan - well my bum shoulder doesn't, so I need to decrease that. 

I'm starting to think I might be able to finish a HIM (after yesterdays's 90km ride) but I'm totally discouraged that I'll ever finish an IM.  But I'll put my head down and crank out the training and keep Dory (from finding Nemo)'s song in my head and hope for the best.

Welcome to BT! Glad to have you here in the forums!
2011-02-27 8:42 AM

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
Fifetriguy from Fife Scotland.  53 going on 23 depending who you listen too.  First dabbled in tri in late 80's!!  Now back and loving it!!!  HIM this year and hopefully a full next year.

2011-02-27 9:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

Erm, has anybody else noticed how, leading UP to the training plan the weeks seemed a little slow. Now I'm actually doing the plan? OMG I can't believe the weeks are FLYING by. Like, seriously, fly....ing. I start week 16 tomorrow.

2011-02-27 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3374158

User image

New user

I think your right!  This was my first full week and I will say that other than planning pool time the week flies by because you have to get the rest of it all in!  
2011-02-27 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3374172

Expert
Matt True - 2011-02-27 9:19 AM I think your right!  This was my first full week and I will say that other than planning pool time the week flies by because you have to get the rest of it all in!  

Mine has ebbed and flowed.  At first I thought it was flying, then I thought it was such a grind and going pretty slow, and now I have like 6 weeks left! Jeepers Creepers! 
2011-02-27 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3374147

Expert
fifetriguy - 2011-02-27 8:42 AM Fifetriguy from Fife Scotland.  53 going on 23 depending who you listen too.  First dabbled in tri in late 80's!!  Now back and loving it!!!  HIM this year and hopefully a full next year.

Welcome mate! Do Scots say mate?  Anyways...enjoy the group and good luck with your training.  I am hoping for full next year too! 
2011-02-27 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3374147

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
fifetriguy - 2011-02-27 8:42 AM

Fifetriguy from Fife Scotland.  53 going on 23 depending who you listen too.  First dabbled in tri in late 80's!!  Now back and loving it!!!  HIM this year and hopefully a full next year.

Welcome fifetriguy. Scotland is a very beautiful place. I saw many pictures and heard a lot about the area as my daughter went to school in Glasgow for a year. We have often talked about going back and doing a race there. Which HIM are you doing?

2011-02-27 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3374158

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-02-27 9:00 AM

Erm, has anybody else noticed how, leading UP to the training plan the weeks seemed a little slow. Now I'm actually doing the plan? OMG I can't believe the weeks are FLYING by. Like, seriously, fly....ing. I start week 16 tomorrow.

Just wait. It gets worse as you get closer to race date. A month or so out from your race days will go by in the blink of an eye. It starts to lend itself to the feeling that you aren't as prepared as you would like to be. I combat that by doing all that I should be doing everyday (and sometimes more). It helps motivate me so I'll know at race time that I did everything I could.
2011-02-27 4:24 PM

User image

Bronze member
Do you guys move things around in the training plan to fit your schedule. I'm just looking a head a little and in a couple of weeks the long rides switch from Saturday to Friday. It is really not going to work for me to ride for 2 hours on a Friday unless I do it on the trainer. We just don't have enough daylight here for me to squeeze that in before of after my husband goes to work. I really hate changing things though because I figure there must be a reason. For all I know the weather won't cooperate and I'll be stuck on the trainer anyway!

I also think I'm a little type A about the schedule.........

2011-02-27 5:32 PM
in reply to: #3374510

Expert
trigal38 - 2011-02-27 4:24 PM Do you guys move things around in the training plan to fit your schedule. I'm just looking a head a little and in a couple of weeks the long rides switch from Saturday to Friday. It is really not going to work for me to ride for 2 hours on a Friday unless I do it on the trainer. We just don't have enough daylight here for me to squeeze that in before of after my husband goes to work. I really hate changing things though because I figure there must be a reason. For all I know the weather won't cooperate and I'll be stuck on the trainer anyway!

Yes.   
2011-02-27 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3374510

User image

Veteran
trigal38 - 2011-02-27 4:24 PM Do you guys move things around in the training plan to fit your schedule. I'm just looking a head a little and in a couple of weeks the long rides switch from Saturday to Friday. It is really not going to work for me to ride for 2 hours on a Friday unless I do it on the trainer. We just don't have enough daylight here for me to squeeze that in before of after my husband goes to work. I really hate changing things though because I figure there must be a reason. For all I know the weather won't cooperate and I'll be stuck on the trainer anyway!

yes.  Started the 20-week for Racine 70.3 today...a day early.    Well it's good you're already looking ahead of your schedule to make the necessary changes.  For example, I have some small races (8k, HM, sprint, oly, and a duathlon) leading up to my A race so I have to take those into consideration too.
2011-02-27 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3374630

User image

Bronze member
astig - 2011-02-27 6:37 PM

yes.  Started the 20-week for Racine 70.3 today...a day early.    Well it's good you're already looking ahead of your schedule to make the necessary changes.  For example, I have some small races (8k, HM, sprint, oly, and a duathlon) leading up to my A race so I have to take those into consideration too.

Well that's what got me started today. I was looking into April to see how a 8 mile race would fit and May for a sprint triathlon. This is the first time I've every really followed a schedule for a race goal and I've been injury prone in the past. I just don't trust my own instincts!

2011-02-27 8:20 PM

Starting to feel a little worn out.  Not sure  but think it's a combo of work, family and doing my best to keep up with training.  Plus feel like I may be getting a little cold starting.  Need to keep going though have an Olympic distance March 19th then my half on April 10.  Anyone else feeling a little worn out?
2011-02-27 8:52 PM

Expert
WooHoo! Peak hours week--not bad for being gimpy the first 3 days!  Rest week next

2011-02-28 6:42 AM

User image

Bronze member
Great job! Enjoy your rest week. Glad your ankle cooperated!
2011-02-28 11:13 AM

User image

Oshkosh, WI
Hi everyone, I have been reading the posts for awhile now, but since I officially started the 20week plan today for my half IM in July I thought I would introduce myself. I have only done two previous sprint triathlons prior to this, but I feel I'm ready for the challenge. My swimming has come a long way, last year at this time I couldn't even swim one length of the pool, I couldn't run more than 5-10 minutes at a time. Over the wknd I'm proud to say I did a 7mile run, and I swam around 1850yds this morning, so yeah I feel I'm ready...I do have one question for anyone who cares to answer, I'm doing a half marathon in May. I recently got my lactic acid levels tested by a friends coach, and he suggests running 4 days a week until the half marathon . I just don't know if I should cut another workout, I was thinking if cutting a swim, but after this morning I was thinking maybe not . I'm a single mom, who gets plenty of help from family, but I don't want to push my luck if you know what I mean. At this point, I guess my time on the races is not as important as just finishing them. So what do you all think, should I try to fit all 4 runs/week with the plan or should I substitute a swim or a bike for a run?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150