BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-04-14 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1108061

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed
Robyn... I am 5'2" with short arms (even for my own short height). I sat on the 44 cm frame at the shop on the Ruby comp and it seems the best fit for me. When the frame comes in they are going to build it up for me with the standard components and then I will test ride and they will make basic adjustments. The last stage of the fitting process is the detailed fitting. They offer laser fitting but they say that it isn't so precise. You know anything about that? I may actually bring a Physical Therapist we know who specializes in sports and bike fittings. I'd have to pay her, but it seems worth it...to me, the right fit is priceless.

Is that really trixie's tummy?

2008-04-14 10:13 AM

Albuquerque, NM
Lynn...good luck to you too. When is your tri? I also use acupuncture...for injury, illness, and stress.

Folks...I wanted to let you know about a website I found that touched me. www.twotrials.org
Emily LeVan is training for the Olympic Marathon Trials this Sun April 20th. Her 4 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with leukemia. This website follows both their "trials". Emily is very upbeat and it is inspiring to follow along.

Cheers y'all...and happy training.

Julia
2008-04-14 10:16 AM

User image

If this is your A race for the season, you should definitely go in having tapered since it is the race that you want to achieve your best results and you aren't using this race to "train" for another.  Since it is a sprint distance, give yourself 3-4 days of rest and/or recovery and that should be plenty of time.  Don't do any intensity or a "trial race."  Just relax over the next few days, keep s/b/r but make it easy, and get your stuff together for the race.  Most of all.... have fun!

2008-04-14 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1336059

User image

Mama J - 2008-04-14 10:00 AM  Is that really trixie's tummy?

Yes, that is really trixie and her tummy.  Yes, she looks like that in real life.  She is a ridiculous amount of fun, if you all are ever fortunate enough to meet her.

(I was told this weekend that I have a girl crush on her. )

2008-04-14 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1335826

User image

trixie - 2008-04-14 8:59 AM HI Robyn. Come back home. I miss you.

HA HA.. I just found this!!!  I was wondering where the trixie comment came from...

**sniffles** I miss you too!!!!!!  Let's ride bikes Wednesday!! 

2008-04-14 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1335723

User image

Master
Vista, CA
ditchdoc - 2008-04-14 6:29 AM

Wow, I must say I am a little jelous of all of you. My first Sprint was supposed to be this Saturday...oh well I'm hoping for May 31st now.

Lynn, ( and the rest) here is something IMPORTANT about visualizng. Visualize your transitions, and don't leave anything out. Coming out of the water unziping your wet suit pulling you cap and goggles off, drying your feet putting (socks) shoes, sunglasses, helmet, grabbing bike.... every little step you can think of... visualize it, in the proper sequnce. I am a HUGE beliver in visualization.
?

Thanks -- I will start seeing myself do all these things. Wetsuit, cap goggles, etc.
Anyone have ideas for what to put on your bike or near your transition area to find it?? I saw a balloon in one photo, but I don't want to have to figure out how to get a balloon off -- I was thinking a colorful scarf tied to it?? Any ideas?
I'm also taping some gel to the frame for a quick food fix. OMG--Can't believe this time next week it will be behind me (you, too Elizabeth!!)
thanks to everyone for being so helpful and supportive (We miss you Robyn) :-) Nice abs, Trixie!

2008-04-14 3:29 PM
in reply to: #1336183

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

LYNN AND LIZ GONNA BE ROCKIN' THIS WEEKEND!!!!! WOOHOOOO!!!!

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-04-14 4:04 PM
2008-04-14 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

GO LIZ AND LYNN!!!!!

Hi Kids! 

Sorry that I have been so absent.  I've been reading posts when I can.  I'm so excited for you both Elizabeth and Lynn.  You are going to have so much fun.  Remember that that is what this is all about.  The  best advice I got on transition was to get some of those "yankz" for laces on your running shoes. If you have bike shoes make sure you undo the fasteners. At my race a few weeks ago I had things all neat and tidy...including having the velcro and straps closed. (duh) I didn't really dry off after the swim. They stripped my wetsuit, I ran to my stuff, put my helmet on then socks, then shoes and ran to where I got on my bike.  For the run I racked my bike and took my helmet off, pulled my shoes off, pulled my running shoes on and put on my cap. I had a couple of gels in the little zipper pocket on the back of my trisuit. I really liked the one piece that I wore. It's a Zoot and it was more comfortable for me than the shorts and top I wore last year.  Pretty simple but like everyone has said already, just think about what you are going to do. Robyn suggested to practicing and running through it in your head and that really helped. (5 minutes off of one transition from last year, THANKS ROBYN!)

I got back  last night from a trip to the McDonald Observatory in Ft Davis TX with 47 high school kids. It is an 8 hour bus ride (we took a nice bus not a yellow one) I had a blast. We have such great kids at the school were I work.  When we pulled up to the guest ranch where we stayed Friday there were tons of really nice bikes on cars in the parking lot and more pulling in every minute. There was a "hammerfest"  bike race. There were over 400 cyclists. I reaaallly wanted to ride my bike!  I got it over a week ago and was feeling so bad from my allergies I couldn't do a thing. I think being up in the mountains really helped me get ahead of the allergies.

I GOT TO RIDE MY BIKE TODAY!!!!!!!   Sooooo smooth, so fast, so fun!!! I'll post pictures later. 

I want abs like Trixie! 

Les

2008-04-14 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Anyone got any brilliant ideas for what to wear for a cold weather bike. By the looks of it, for my race Saturday I'm going to be biking in about 35 degrees with a 15-20mph wind.  I'd just as soon not wear tights as those will take too long to put on in transitions.  Do you carry enough heat from the swim to jump on in wet trishorts and start biking in that kind of weather???
2008-04-14 10:48 PM
in reply to: #1338053

User image

Master
Vista, CA
aber4 - 2008-04-14 7:15 PM

Anyone got any brilliant ideas for what to wear for a cold weather bike. By the looks of it, for my race Saturday I'm going to be biking in about 35 degrees with a 15-20mph wind. I'd just as soon not wear tights as those will take too long to put on in transitions. Do you carry enough heat from the swim to jump on in wet trishorts and start biking in that kind of weather???

Good luck to you on the race! Is the run outside, too? What about some light fleece pants you could quickly pull on over your swim shorts and a windbreaker over your shirt. Don't know if a beanie under your helmet will work?? Just some brainstorming ideas. That sounds brutal. It will be interesting to see how it all works out -- although I know you've been training and will do great.

And, Les -- glad to see you back and on the bike. Will look forward to seeing the bike pics.

2008-04-15 12:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Ok.... I am trying not to panic...but I either have the flu or food poisoning. Yesterday I felt so fatigued and shut down... then I was up all night and still feeling pretty bad today. I actually didn't go to work... which is rare for me. So...I pray this is a quick bug... it is only Tuesday... so hopefully I will be fine by Sunday.

Funny hearing about what to wear in the cold... I am trying to figure out how to deal with 96 out. I had to cave and turn on the air in our home last night... it was 86 inside.

Elizabeth

Edited by azelizabeth 2008-04-15 12:44 PM

2008-04-15 11:22 PM

Albuquerque, NM
I went to sign up for my sprint tri in Albuquerque and it was full....so tonight I signed up for the Danskin in Austin on June 8th. I am so excited to do my first tri with all women!!!! Now I've got to figure out all the logistics...flying with the bike, hotel, etc. Les...any suggestions? I think you are doing this one too.

Julia
2008-04-16 8:36 AM
in reply to: #1338053

User image

aber4 - 2008-04-14 9:15 PM Anyone got any brilliant ideas for what to wear for a cold weather bike. By the looks of it, for my race Saturday I'm going to be biking in about 35 degrees with a 15-20mph wind. I'd just as soon not wear tights as those will take too long to put on in transitions. Do you carry enough heat from the swim to jump on in wet trishorts and start biking in that kind of weather???

Whoa... You are much braver than I am.  I don't bike in weather like that, and I can't imagine doing it wet.  There is no way you will stay warm enough coming off the swim to bike in 35 degree temps.  You'll freeze your hiney to the seat.

Like I said, I don't ride in weather that cold, but since you are going to, I would suggest taking the extra time to put on real clothes.  20 bucks says everyone else will do it too.... that is really really cold.

2008-04-16 8:41 AM
in reply to: #1341386

User image

Veteran

Whoa... You are much braver than I am. I don't bike in weather like that, and I can't imagine doing it wet. There is no way you will stay warm enough coming off the swim to bike in 35 degree temps. You'll freeze your hiney to the seat.

Like I said, I don't ride in weather that cold, but since you are going to, I would suggest taking the extra time to put on real clothes. 20 bucks says everyone else will do it too.... that is really really cold.

I'm glad you said that...I didn't want to feel like a wimp when i go for the  warm stuff before the bike.

2008-04-16 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1340998

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Mama J - 2008-04-15 11:22 PM I went to sign up for my sprint tri in Albuquerque and it was full....so tonight I signed up for the Danskin in Austin on June 8th. I am so excited to do my first tri with all women!!!! Now I've got to figure out all the logistics...flying with the bike, hotel, etc. Les...any suggestions? I think you are doing this one too. Julia

Julia!!!! I'll be there. How cool to have someone in our group at the race.  I'll PM you with my tel #. I can fill you in on where I'm staying etc.  I have to work Saturday morning (a work day after the last day of school)  and I'm heading a seminar on the day after the race or I would offer to provide airport transportation. 

Yea!!!!!

Les 

2008-04-16 10:20 AM
in reply to: #1339360

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

azelizabeth - 2008-04-15 12:43 PM Ok.... I am trying not to panic...but I either have the flu or food poisoning. Yesterday I felt so fatigued and shut down... then I was up all night and still feeling pretty bad today. I actually didn't go to work... which is rare for me. So...I pray this is a quick bug... it is only Tuesday... so hopefully I will be fine by Sunday. Funny hearing about what to wear in the cold... I am trying to figure out how to deal with 96 out. I had to cave and turn on the air in our home last night... it was 86 inside. Elizabeth

hi E, sorry to hear you are feeliong down. maybe it is something that will pass quick. Stay Hydrated. Try not to take anything that will keep whaat ever is inside of you from getting out. If it is food poisoning let your body get rid of it like it is trying to. As soon as you can stomach anything, try the BRAT diet. Bananas apples, Rice and Tea. Until then Ginger Ale and soda crackers. Make sure your Ginger Ale is made with REAL ginger. Ginger is great for an upset stomach. Good uck, you can pull through this...I know ya can.

2008-04-16 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the kind comments. I actually slept last night which has helped. I am working a tad from home today and am thinking...just thinking about a 15 min. bike ride around the neighborhood... insane huh?

E
2008-04-16 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1341955

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

azelizabeth - 2008-04-16 11:28 AM Thanks for the kind comments. I actually slept last night which has helped. I am working a tad from home today and am thinking...just thinking about a 15 min. bike ride around the neighborhood... insane huh? E

Your choice, but I would reccomend really not pushing your self, give your body time to heal. You have a big event coming up, consider your body telling you it is time to taper!!!! rest u,p hydrate, and nourish!!! You will be like a coiled spring come race day.

Ya'll like my new avtar???? I am  a HIPPO!!! ( see the Clydes Athena section LOL)

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-04-16 4:04 PM
2008-04-17 5:35 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Good Luck Elizabeth and Lynn!!!!!!!

My thoughts will be with you. Remember when that hot guy with the great butt passes you so that you have some scenery to watch while plugging away at the run. Enjoy yourselves and have fun!!!

I had a great swim last night. I went to my masters class and there was just one other guy who is also training for a tri and swims at my level (poor). We got lots of personal attention and a great workout. I am pretty pumped about it. I am actually feeling like I will survive the 500 yards at my first tri on June 1, maybe.
2008-04-17 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1343923

User image

jogo - 2008-04-17 5:35 AM .... that hot guy with the great butt passes you so that you have some scenery to watch while plugging away at the run....

LOL... one of my favorite things about racing... THE SCENERY!  One of my goals is to be a body marker at an MDOT Ironman.  I just want to be able to say, "How old are you?  OK, take off your pants."

2008-04-17 10:08 AM
in reply to: #1344371

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
triOK - 2008-04-17 9:36 AM

jogo - 2008-04-17 5:35 AM .... that hot guy with the great butt passes you so that you have some scenery to watch while plugging away at the run....

LOL... one of my favorite things about racing... THE SCENERY!  One of my goals is to be a body marker at an MDOT Ironman.  I just want to be able to say, "How old are you?  OK, take off your pants."

I am Voling for IMFL this year. maybe I should change to body marking!!!! Can I borrow that line????Laughing

2008-04-17 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1344371

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Okay scenery -- just one more reason to work my a** off to participate in a triathlon. Thanks for the well-wishes. I'm really getting an excited nervous feeling. Got our wave starts yesterday. I'm in the last one -- hope I"m not last out of the water, but if so, so be it. At least I'll be out there.
Question -- Do you borrow the swimcap (mine's light blue). Do you usually get that the day before?
I know you guys will be laughing here, especially you OWS veterans, but the water is going to be 68 degrees and I'm used to swimming in 78. Think it will be that much of a shocker?? I will have a wetsuit. OMG-- I'm going to do a traithlon. Holy sh*t!

Oh, just an aside -- found a baby rattlesnake in our side yard yesterday afternoon. So it may not be cold but we have some hazards here. :-)

Have a great day everyone.
~Lynn
2008-04-17 10:26 AM

User image

Veteran

The anxiety has definitely set in for me this morning....under 48 hours til race time...one side of me says just relax and have fun and FINISH...but the other side is competitive enough that I have in my mind what I want to be able to do.  Having a friend that is doing it has up'd the drive a little too.  It wouldn't be bad if I knew he was going to kick my butt, but knowing he is going to kill me in swim and then I might be able to hunt him down in the bike/run has made it more exciting...and helped the training.

...just a little afraid I'm going to go too hard in the bike and have no legs left...so I think I better just pick my pace and stick with it.

...hard to focus on anything else today just rehashing my transitions in my mind on how best to shave time off...tried biking this morning at about the same time the race will be so comparable temps to see if i could go in just my shorts...that isn't going to happen...it was fricken COLD!!!

2008-04-17 6:21 PM

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Aber, Lynn, and Elizabeth:

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!.

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-04-17 6:21 PM
2008-04-17 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Liz, Lynn and Alan,

GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!

I'd be there ringing..... 

MORE COW BELL!!!!!!!!! 

You guys are going to do great.

Les 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52