of 51

2009-06-07 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2199391

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Subject: RE: Gordo Byrn's Group - FULL
gtkelly - 2009-06-06 5:02 PM Gordo -

As always, thanks for the excellent advice. I spoke to the doc, tried salt a few times, and I can tell absolutely no difference.  Doc (marathon runner and as of last week an Endurance Corner reader) basically said most of that stuff was designed more to sell product and was probably necessary only for extreme cases. Live and learn - I tried it at least.

1.) Since this is not my 'A' race (actually training for the Oly in August) I plan to just train through this one. I'll do a long run on Monday, swim short Tuesday, get on the bike for about an hour wed followed by a 15-20 minute transition run. Thursday will be a long swim (around 2400 yards). I'm skipping Friday's run to rest. Saturday is race. Does this make sense? Should I alter this plan?

2.) For my swims I have just be going straight through. If the schedule says an hour I swim laps for an hour. 3 stroke breathing and no rest stops. Should I start doing structured workouts or just keep building endurance?

3.) Based on Going Long I've added a 15-20 minute transition run after every bike ride. I phased in easily over a week  making sure I can always hit the next day's workout. Running off the bike is now much easier, but it's probably all mental. Is this too much too soon?

4.) In Going Long you have a chapter on Mental training. Can you recommend any additional resources for this? I'm now convinced that the key to my success is all above the sholders.

Finally, picked up a book on the Paleo diet earlier this week. Reading through it. This is good stuff and makes sense. But it is going to take some adjusting. We're working ourselves into it.

1 - That seems OK -- key thing is to freshen for the race -- there's no need to carry any fatigue into this event.  Give yourself a chance to see where you are.  Only session in your plan that could leave you a little tired is tomorrow's long run -- so make sure you dial that down from what's normal for you.

2 - A mix is good.  At some stage, any plan will have your plateau once your body fully adapts to the training.  So you'll need to vary the workouts to improve.  You can vary a continuous swim without changing the nature... just change speed every 100 and work on different swim gears as well as recovering while swimming.

3 - Your consistency, fatigue and mood will tell you if it is too far.  The transition runs aren't all that fatiguing and you can always trim bike volume if required to fit them in.

4 - Mark Allen shared the insight that our mental conditioning that we see in races is a reflection of what is going on all the time.  So to sort out our racing, we need to sort out our lives.  

These are the titles that I really like - have read them all:
http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/recommended_reading

From a wide range of sources I created: http://coachgordo.com/gtips/various/recommended_reading.html <... />
If I could offer one book that helped me -- The Artist's Way, by Cameron.  Echardt Tolle was enjoyable and helped a few of my close friends.  If I am laughing/smiling when reading The Gift, Hafiz then I know that I'm pretty mellow.  An interesting entry into Eastern Philosophy as well as the power of thought patterns is provided by Thich Nhat Hanh - his #1 advice (for me) is water the seeds that you want to grow.  For folks that like practical application -- The Four Agreements has a how-to approach.

There's more in the EC reading list -- basically, I have found that the books with the widest practical application for philosophy and neuroscience have been the most helpful.  Once I get myself quiet throughout my life, I can bring that relaxation into my racing.  In order to go fast, we need to get our minds out of the way of our bodies.

Nutrition -- make incremental changes gradually -- trim processed food slowly -- I've been working at it for 15 years.  Radical change tends not to work.  If I could point you at one thing... become aware of all the various sources/forms of refined sugar in your diet.  That's the big one for most of us.

g

2009-06-09 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2200318

Illinois
Pashda - 2009-06-07 3:22 PM

Hey G team hope you are all well.
Had my race today, the anniversary of my first ever tri and the race I had an issue with as last year was a disappointment to me when I bonked after the bike badly. Last year took just under 1hr 42 for 750m lake swim 20k bike and 5.4k run. This year I was much better prepared thanks to Gordo's advice with my training and was ready to go for it.
Had a gentle jog warm up and put the wetsuit on in plenty of time and made my way to swim start. Got in the lake and did a bit of swimming to get used to the cold water and on the klaxon got going and seemed to find a nice bit of space despite the 249 others around me. All was going to plan for about 200m until I breathed in just as a large handful of water got swept into my mouth. lots of choking and trying to maintain calm for about 20 seconds before I could get going again albeit still struggling to breathe. Eventually I settled into a good rythmn and was passing slower swimmers and drafting well and exited swim bang on 15 minutes right on schedule. A long uphill run to T1 and a good transition out onto the bike. Its a hilly course and was tough but I did ok although a minute or 2 slower than I would have liked. T2 uneventful and had taken my feet out of the shoes on the approach so jumped off running like the pros. Straight into the run being mindful not to go too hard and was surprised when both calves started to cramp 400m into the run so eased the pace but upped the cadence and this helped along with a downhill section. Had no idea of my race time as the stopwatch had stopped when I took my wetsuit off so just went as hard as I could using the footpod to monitor speed. As I came into the finish straight i felt strong so put in a sprint finish and made it under my target of 1hr30.

Official finish time 1:29:50 I finished 713 out of 3500ish. So happy.

Gordo thankyou sir for your wisdom and thankyou fellow mentees for the encouragement over the last few months you have all helped more than you know.

Dave

Dave,
Congrats on the great finish.  Good to see some of you guys and Gordo still keepin' this thread active.

Brian

2009-06-11 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1856890

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
G,

On Friday I'm going to do the run Aerobic TT (2 mile bottom steady, 2 miles top mod-hard) that you recommended a while back.  Couple questions:

1) You say...  "Total test distance is four miles (continuous)" - I assume that means that I should NOT have a RI between the 1st 2 miles and the 2nd 2 miles, correct?

2) How often should I perform this test (ie... twice a month, once a month, once a quarter)?

My thoughts were to run the first 2 miles at a HR at 125 bpm or slightly below, the second 2 miles at 150 bpm.  My guess is that this might be similar to the swim progression drill where it took me a little while to dial things in and get it right.  We will see.

Since I brought up the swim progression drill I wanted to get your take on whether or not the method in which I finally conquered the drill would be considered "cheating" in your book.  I have found that if I simply push the gas pedal at different distances from the end of each interval I can easily conquer the drill.  For example, swim the 1st 200 interval steady, the 2nd 200 steady for the 1st 150 and push the gas the last 50, the 3rd 200 steady for the 1st 100 steady and push the gas the last 100, ..........  I found if I do this I can easily do the drill.  Probably only develops two gears?  Is that the proper spirit of the drill?

Thanks. 

Edited by junthank 2009-06-11 3:49 PM
2009-06-12 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

G,

Went ahead and did the Aerobic Run TT this morning.  As I predicted, like the swim progression drill, I didn't do well with my first attempt.  In fact, I did worse.......  I DNF.  Hey, at least I'm honest about it!!!!!  My log reads: 

Totally, totally bonked this run. Did the 2 mile low steady, 2 mile high mod-hard aerobic test. Did the test without RI's at 1/2 mile splits or between low steady/high mod-hard 2 mile intervals. Half mile splits and HR levels were:

1st 2 miles (HR 127-135)
-------------------------------
4:58
5:32
5:25
5:27

2nd 2 miles (HR 148-154)
--------------------------------
4:38
4:27
Toast
Toast

A number of things could of contributed this.

1) It was 86 degrees with lots of humidity out there this morning and I forgot to bring any water. I got good advice to do this on a treadmill inside rather than outside. I didn't listen. Jeff, don't touch that hot stove...... Ouch!!!

2) Did this at the end of a build week rather than at the end of a recovery week. So I'm certain I was carrying some fatigue into the workout.

3) I'm simply not familar with holding a 154 HR over the course of multiple run miles without doing the run/walk protocol with a max. ratio of 10:1. I have held an 8:40 pace over the course of 4 miles but with run/walk.

3) Didn't do this workout as the first workout this morning. Did my swim 1st. Although the swim was a short one.

4) I just wimped out.

I'll just have to keep at it!!!!

2009-06-12 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2213088

User image

Regular
Essex, England
hey Jeff, sorry to hear it didn't go to plan.
I tried a similar thing to your plan and had same result. ended up walking a mile home trying not to puke everywhere. I had another go the week after but did the slow miles slower so had a bit more in the tank for the fast ones which helped a lot.
And I didnt try it after a swim workout !!
2009-06-12 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2211474

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
junthank - 2009-06-11 2:27 PM G,

On Friday I'm going to do the run Aerobic TT (2 mile bottom steady, 2 miles top mod-hard) that you recommended a while back.  Couple questions:

1) You say...  "Total test distance is four miles (continuous)" - I assume that means that I should NOT have a RI between the 1st 2 miles and the 2nd 2 miles, correct?

2) How often should I perform this test (ie... twice a month, once a month, once a quarter)?

My thoughts were to run the first 2 miles at a HR at 125 bpm or slightly below, the second 2 miles at 150 bpm.  My guess is that this might be similar to the swim progression drill where it took me a little while to dial things in and get it right.  We will see.

Since I brought up the swim progression drill I wanted to get your take on whether or not the method in which I finally conquered the drill would be considered "cheating" in your book.  I have found that if I simply push the gas pedal at different distances from the end of each interval I can easily conquer the drill.  For example, swim the 1st 200 interval steady, the 2nd 200 steady for the 1st 150 and push the gas the last 50, the 3rd 200 steady for the 1st 100 steady and push the gas the last 100, ..........  I found if I do this I can easily do the drill.  Probably only develops two gears?  Is that the proper spirit of the drill?

Thanks. 

Hey!

1 -- correct, continuous means no rest

2 -- if you get your zones right then this is not demanding -- once a month is about right for most people.  In the EC plan I roll it every three weeks because we use a three week cycle.

Your HR zones seem a bit too wide -- goal is AeT and LT as the points.  See Endurance Essentials for the breath markers associated with AeT/LT.

Swim progression -- that's how it feels for me too!

2009-06-12 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2213088

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
junthank - 2009-06-12 8:46 AM

G,

Went ahead and did the Aerobic Run TT this morning.  As I predicted, like the swim progression drill, I didn't do well with my first attempt.  In fact, I did worse.......  I DNF.  Hey, at least I'm honest about it!!!!!  My log reads: 

Totally, totally bonked this run. Did the 2 mile low steady, 2 mile high mod-hard aerobic test. Did the test without RI's at 1/2 mile splits or between low steady/high mod-hard 2 mile intervals. Half mile splits and HR levels were:

1st 2 miles (HR 127-135)
-------------------------------
4:58
5:32
5:25
5:27

2nd 2 miles (HR 148-154)
--------------------------------
4:38
4:27
Toast
Toast

A number of things could of contributed this.

1) It was 86 degrees with lots of humidity out there this morning and I forgot to bring any water. I got good advice to do this on a treadmill inside rather than outside. I didn't listen. Jeff, don't touch that hot stove...... Ouch!!!

2) Did this at the end of a build week rather than at the end of a recovery week. So I'm certain I was carrying some fatigue into the workout.

3) I'm simply not familar with holding a 154 HR over the course of multiple run miles without doing the run/walk protocol with a max. ratio of 10:1. I have held an 8:40 pace over the course of 4 miles but with run/walk.

3) Didn't do this workout as the first workout this morning. Did my swim 1st. Although the swim was a short one.

4) I just wimped out.

I'll just have to keep at it!!!!

I'd add that your top end target is likely too high -- top of Mod-hard zone is the target.

It's an aerobic test (not a max effort TT) -- the word "test" throws a lot of people off.

A good starting point for the top HR value is the Mark Allen MAF cap -- then knock 10-15 bpm off that for your lower target -- do the test and think about the breathmarkers that you'll read on my site.

2009-06-12 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2213762

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Pashda - 2009-06-12 12:08 PM hey Jeff, sorry to hear it didn't go to plan.
I tried a similar thing to your plan and had same result. ended up walking a mile home trying not to puke everywhere. I had another go the week after but did the slow miles slower so had a bit more in the tank for the fast ones which helped a lot.
And I didnt try it after a swim workout !!

Another thing to consider -- it shouldn't feel fast with nausea -- we're talking max aerobic effort -- when properly trained, that's best average effort for ~3-7 hours depending on sport/fitness.

So consider dropping the top end as well.

2009-06-13 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
G,

Did your recommended 3 hour long ride earlier.  Different workout than what I'm accustomed to.  No real questions about the workout just observations.  Log entry below:

----
Long Ride Day. Did Gordo's recommendation for the long ride day:

30 Easy (> 90 rpm)
20 Steady
10 Easy
3 x (12 Steady/3 Mod-Hard)
15 Easy
Then Big Gear Low Cadence
5 x (8 Build to Mod-Hard/2 Easy)

First time I have done this particular bike workout. Observations: Started off much slower than I normally start off. This was evident when I hit my first turnaround point (approx. 12 miles) where I was 8-9 minutes slower than my normal time. Finish was tougher than my normal ride. The big gear intervals got to me at the end (I was happy to be finished). Overall I would say that I go slower doing this workout but its a tougher workout (felt it more in my legs). My guess is that the workout is built to build muscular endurance at the back end of a workout.
----
2009-06-14 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2215170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
junthank - 2009-06-13 9:24 AM G,

Did your recommended 3 hour long ride earlier.  Different workout than what I'm accustomed to.  No real questions about the workout just observations.  Log entry below:

----
Long Ride Day. Did Gordo's recommendation for the long ride day:

30 Easy (> 90 rpm)
20 Steady
10 Easy
3 x (12 Steady/3 Mod-Hard)
15 Easy
Then Big Gear Low Cadence
5 x (8 Build to Mod-Hard/2 Easy)

First time I have done this particular bike workout. Observations: Started off much slower than I normally start off. This was evident when I hit my first turnaround point (approx. 12 miles) where I was 8-9 minutes slower than my normal time. Finish was tougher than my normal ride. The big gear intervals got to me at the end (I was happy to be finished). Overall I would say that I go slower doing this workout but its a tougher workout (felt it more in my legs). My guess is that the workout is built to build muscular endurance at the back end of a workout.
----

You did it correctly -- I like to track avg HR for the 20 min steady in the first hour -- also track average/max HR for the 12/3s as well as max HR per interval for the BG work.

If you had a powermeter then you'd also look at avg power for each of those chunks.

2009-06-14 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Well guys, I finished. My time was not what I'd hoped but I did get to the end. The number of people between me and very last finisher would fit in a minivan but I could care less. Finishing this was both a good time and one heck of an accomplishment.

Day turned into a problem solving exercise for me. I had 3 times where I considered dropping out but didn't. Decided they would have to pull me from the course if I didn't finish.

Swim - Found out pretty quickly that a snug wetsuit should NOT constrict your breathing. The swim was horrible. At the 250 meter mark I made my way over to a kayak. I had already rolled over on my back and floated. Just could not breath. Guy in the kayak asked a couple of questions then had me turn around while he unzipped my wetsuit. It was like inflating one of those life jackets - my lungs just expanded big time. Felt better almost immediately and finished the rest of the swim no problem. Lesson #1 learned.

Bike - I drove the course Friday night and got worried pretty quick. The hills were MUCH bigger than I am used to. I did OK until the first major climb, worked at it until I thought I would puke, then got off and pushed. Heart rate maxed at 176, climb was 10% grade for about a mile. I finally remembered Gordo talking about walking the hills. So I swallowed my pride got off and pushed the bike up the rest of the hill. Did that one more time. Got through it. Proud of that.

Run - I was toast by this point. The bike just destroyed me physically. Mentally I was still in it though. I shuffled through the run. Walked the hills, ran when I could, drank water and tried to keep it down. Nothing special here other than maintaining focus and trying to keep moving. Keeping moving through the run is what I am most proud of - I didn't quit.

End result? Not exactly DFL but close. An eye opener and a learning experience.

Lessons learned:

#1 - Don't buy a wetsuit online unless you know your size and\or how they should fit. And practice open water swimming in the suit more. A 10 minute practice swim doesn't cut it. Luckily suit was rented and gets returned tomorrow. I'll be at the tri shop trying them on this week. Gotta get a suit that will allow me to breathe. Probably should not take 2 people to zip it up. Yes, I know. Not my brightest moment ever. The sound of my lungs inflating was pretty cool though!

#2 - Ride lots of hills on the bike. On a mountain course maybe take the road bike with the triple ring? Lose a few more pounds. Perhaps be a bit more selective with course selection for a first TRI? Don't almost die during the swim? Smile

Can't wait for the next one as I have tons of room to improve!

2009-06-15 2:52 AM
in reply to: #2217097

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Greg,
excellent job well done, you finished the race despite the obstacles which is a massive achievement. Dont forget as well that the minibus of people between you and DFL are all still a long way ahead of the DNF and even further ahead of the DNS and a galaxy away from the couch sitters who cant be bothered to do any exercise.
Next time will be a swim/bike/run in the park.
Respect
2009-06-15 7:47 AM

Illinois
Congrats Greg!  Great accomplishment.

This weekend I also finished my first race of the season.  It was a sprint (400m swim, 14.9 bike, 4.1 run), and it went about as expected.  My big limiter was training consistency.  But I had an absolute blast, and hopefully this is the kick in the azz I need to train better (not harder) for the next one.  Thanks Gordo and G-team. 

Gordo, one of my best friends has read "Going Long" and took 8th overall yesterday and did reaaly well on a HIM last weekend.  He asked that I thank you as well.
2009-06-15 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Congra's Greg and Brian.  Well done.  1st one of the year out of the way and it's on to the next one!!!

Jeff
2009-06-15 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2217618

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
BBDope - 2009-06-15 6:47 AM Congrats Greg!  Great accomplishment.

Gordo, one of my best friends has read "Going Long" and took 8th overall yesterday and did reaaly well on a HIM last weekend.  He asked that I thank you as well.

Tell you pal, thanks for buying the book!

Congrats to all racers!

2009-06-16 9:39 AM

Illinois
Gordo,
I read your latest blog entry this morning, and it was insightful.  I feel that way a couple times of year.  I lie in bed and wonder if giving everything up would make me happier.  It has taken me 15+ years to get my career and sports med practice just the way it is, and some days I wonder if I would be better stopping all of it.  I could down size, live a more simple life, be at home more.  It sounds appealing at first, then quickly realize I would be horrible at it.

I am incorporating more and more of what you have tried to teach us.  I think this last race was the kick in the azz I needed to get more consistent.  I have been training more alone, slower (more in my zones), and with slower people.  I am again excited about progress and have new achievable goals.

Brian

2009-06-17 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2216389

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
GordoByrn - 2009-06-14 2:07 PM
junthank - 2009-06-13 9:24 AM
----

You did it correctly -- I like to track avg HR for the 20 min steady in the first hour -- also track average/max HR for the 12/3s as well as max HR per interval for the BG work.

If you had a powermeter then you'd also look at avg power for each of those chunks.

All I have for "gizmo's" are my fancy $24.99 Sportline HR watch.    I'll have to invest in a Garmin or something like it to get average/max HR data. 
2009-06-25 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
G,

Question about what I think is cardiac drift.  I have noticed that as my endurance training workouts have gotten longer my HR will go up as I progress thru the workout.  I really notice it when running.  Particularly on my Long Run Days and during my transition runs on a SBR Endurance Day.  A particular pace will yield a HR that is 10-15 BPM higher from the beginning of the run to the end of the run.  So, sometimes I can start my workouts in my Steady zone at a particular pace and move into my Mod-Hard Zone by the 8th mile.  I have monitored this in a controlled environment (on a treadmill) so it is not heat, faster pacing, etc.. 

So my question is how do you account for this when planning your workouts?  For example if I were doing the Poker Pace Running workout (on one of my longer runs) my pace for the Steady Effort in the final 3rd might be the same as my pace for the Easy Effort in the 1st 3rd.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I can achieve (with respect to relative HR levels) the Poker Pace Running workout without potentially altering (increasing) my pace.   

Or is it even necessary to account for cardiac drift in your workouts (i.e.. just keep it simple and stop thinking about such things)? 

Thanks.

Edited by junthank 2009-06-25 1:25 PM
2009-06-25 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2242924

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
junthank - 2009-06-25 12:10 PM G,

Question about what I think is cardiac drift.  I have noticed that as my endurance training workouts have gotten longer my HR will go up as I progress thru the workout.  I really notice it when running.  Particularly on my Long Run Days and during my transition runs on a SBR Endurance Day.  A particular pace will yield a HR that is 10-15 BPM higher from the beginning of the run to the end of the run.  So, sometimes I can start my workouts in my Steady zone at a particular pace and move into my Mod-Hard Zone by the 8th mile.  I have monitored this in a controlled environment (on a treadmill) so it is not heat, faster pacing, etc.. 

So my question is how do you account for this when planning your workouts?  For example if I were doing the Poker Pace Running workout (on one of my longer runs) my pace for the Steady Effort in the final 3rd might be the same as my pace for the Easy Effort in the 1st 3rd.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I can achieve (with respect to relative HR levels) the Poker Pace Running workout without potentially altering (increasing) my pace.   

Or is it even necessary to account for cardiac drift in your workouts (i.e.. just keep it simple and stop thinking about such things)? 

Thanks.

If you track my training www.trainingpeaks.com/gordo then you'll see that I have the exact same effect if I start with a pace/power too high.

So you need to start easy, by HR, to take account of you endurance limiter.  You also need to ensure adequate hydration as that can spike HR late in your long sessions.

So you account for drift by going easier, earlier -- not harder, later.  Most people will be unable to wrap their heads around this.  So... it's a source of competitive advantage for the athlete willing to stay the course.

g

2009-06-29 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wahiawa, Hawaii.... but now in Florence, KY..

Gordo,

awhile back i told you i was struggling with my breathing and couls only swim 50m w b/l breathing.  Well i can swim 300 comfotably now and 2 weeks ago swam my first nonstop 1000m's.  Swimming is now clicking...  Just thought i'd let you know because i haven't posted on here in awhile.

Boom

2009-07-01 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2250946

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Boom -

1000 without stopping is a HUGE breakthrough.  Congrats on that.  Excellent to hear you managed to sort it out.

2009-07-06 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
G,

Did the Poker Pacing Run earlier today on a 85 minute run.  Not easy.  Question regarding what I set as  HR's targets for each 3rd of the workout.... <135, < 140, <145.  Is the 5 bpm difference too small.  Should the spread be larger?  I'm not totally certain but when I start to hit the low 150's on the run I know that I'm going to start to fade on the run.  I feel pretty good in the low 140's and can sustain for a long distance.

Notes for my run workout this morning below.

Thanks.

------------------------
Plan was EC-R3_Poker Pacing Run (28 min <135, 28<140, 28<145). Did OK with regard to HR the 1st 1/2 of the run. During the last 1/3 it was difficult to keep the HR below 145 (kept creeping up into the low 150's). 10:1 run/walk for 1st hour. Then went to 9:1 the last intervals. Did the workout based solely upon HR - not pace per se. This drill was not easy (a la the swim descending drill the 1st couple times I attempted it). Perhaps my HR ranges are to close to one another (only 5 bpm difference at each threshold level). Also, I didn't take water with me and it was hot so that could account for some of the drift. Just need to keep practicing and get more accustomed to my physiology.

I think the goal of this workout is of course to finish strong. However, for me the broader lesson at my stage is mental control. Can I have a plan and mentally execute it (and that means holding back!!) for 90 minutes on the run. Not easy the 1st time. Need to get better at this.
------------------------

Edited by junthank 2009-07-07 5:46 AM
2009-07-07 4:47 AM
in reply to: #2264238

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Hi Gordo,
A while back I asked your advice re transitions and having bike shoes clipped into the bike. Since then I have had a few practices and started by working on removing my feet as I approached T2 rather than going the whole way and that went well. I have joined a tri club now and every month they do a club race which is a 400m/12k/5k sprint so transitions are key to a good time. So I went for it and clipped the shoes in. It worked great and my target of 60mins was beaten easily with a 56:00 finish helped a lot by T1 and T2 both around the 60 second marker.
Anyone thinking of having a go at it I say go for it but do practice a lot first.

cheers all and happy racing
2009-07-07 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2264238

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
junthank - 2009-07-06 8:32 AM G,

Did the Poker Pacing Run earlier today on a 85 minute run.  Not easy.  Question regarding what I set as  HR's targets for each 3rd of the workout.... <135, < 140, <145.  Is the 5 bpm difference too small.  Should the spread be larger?  I'm not totally certain but when I start to hit the low 150's on the run I know that I'm going to start to fade on the run.  I feel pretty good in the low 140's and can sustain for a long distance.

Notes for my run workout this morning below.

Thanks.

------------------------
Plan was EC-R3_Poker Pacing Run (28 min <135, 28<140, 28<145). Did OK with regard to HR the 1st 1/2 of the run. During the last 1/3 it was difficult to keep the HR below 145 (kept creeping up into the low 150's). 10:1 run/walk for 1st hour. Then went to 9:1 the last intervals. Did the workout based solely upon HR - not pace per se. This drill was not easy (a la the swim descending drill the 1st couple times I attempted it). Perhaps my HR ranges are to close to one another (only 5 bpm difference at each threshold level). Also, I didn't take water with me and it was hot so that could account for some of the drift. Just need to keep practicing and get more accustomed to my physiology.

I think the goal of this workout is of course to finish strong. However, for me the broader lesson at my stage is mental control. Can I have a plan and mentally execute it (and that means holding back!!) for 90 minutes on the run. Not easy the 1st time. Need to get better at this.
------------------------

Any idea how pace changed across this workout?

What happens to pace if you hold in low 140s?  What's "long distance" in terms of duration for you?

The spread should be tight in terms of pace, to achieve this you'll likely have to start easy (in HR terms) -- you never want to have to "race" to hold pace at the end.  You're looking for comfortable aerobic effort.

Some other tips...

Then Dr. J's article on how he developed the PP workout:
http://www.gordoworld.com/alternativeperspectives/2007/08/poker-pacing.html

++

Also read Running Well to understand how/why to build your run endurance from the bottom up:
http://xtri.com/coaches_display.aspx?riIDReport=5685&CAT=48&xref=xx

++

So what you want to build (first) is your capacity to hold "easy pace" without having to crank effort up at the end.

2009-07-07 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2266491

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Pashda - 2009-07-07 3:47 AM Hi Gordo,
A while back I asked your advice re transitions and having bike shoes clipped into the bike. Since then I have had a few practices and started by working on removing my feet as I approached T2 rather than going the whole way and that went well. I have joined a tri club now and every month they do a club race which is a 400m/12k/5k sprint so transitions are key to a good time. So I went for it and clipped the shoes in. It worked great and my target of 60mins was beaten easily with a 56:00 finish helped a lot by T1 and T2 both around the 60 second marker.
Anyone thinking of having a go at it I say go for it but do practice a lot first.

cheers all and happy racing

Thanks for circling back -- good to hear it worked for you.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gordo Byrn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 51