BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-10-19 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
The HM I want to do is on November 27th and I have a problem.  Actually, I have a problem with every race I ever think about doing.  I can't seem to register for it/them until the last possible second.  It's totally a mental thing.

So I started training for the HM and last week I tweaked my achilles and haven't run since Thursday and now I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to get the mileage in to be ready for the race.  My longest run so far was 8 miles which is when I started getting the soreness.  I have a little more than 5 weeks until the race.  Can I be ready for it and, the corollary question, are my chances good enough that I should register now to keep from giving up?

2010-10-19 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3158733

User image

Master
blackledge - 2010-10-18 3:14 PM Good luck with your new meal plan Dineen!  My friend basically had the same problem. She ate relatively healthy things but did not eat on anywhere near a regular schedule (i.e. skipped meals, ate lots at once, etc). She went on WW which kind of forced her to eat on a more regular basis and added in some healthy snacks and she has lost weight (still eating basically the same food she did before WW).

And I have a pre-announcement to make....We are having a... _____!  Sorry I don't know yet but will find out within the next two hours hopefully!

You're killin' me Smalls.
2010-10-19 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3160029

User image

Master
Vista, CA

thndrcloud - 2010-10-19 7:48 AM The HM I want to do is on November 27th and I have a problem.  Actually, I have a problem with every race I ever think about doing.  I can't seem to register for it/them until the last possible second.  It's totally a mental thing.

So I started training for the HM and last week I tweaked my achilles and haven't run since Thursday and now I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to get the mileage in to be ready for the race.  My longest run so far was 8 miles which is when I started getting the soreness.  I have a little more than 5 weeks until the race.  Can I be ready for it and, the corollary question, are my chances good enough that I should register now to keep from giving up?

Allison -- Wanted to respond to your delimma -- FWIW -- I've been injured during my marathon training (Nov.7th event) for the past month or so and have substituted the elliptical for my runs during the time I couldn't pound the pavement. I did a one for one sub, ie: 3 hour run = 3 hour elliptical. It's not the same, but it helps with the mental training and knowing you're doing something. I also kept swimming and cycling (both trainer, outside and spin classes) to keep getting my legs a workout. I even know one woman who trained for quite a while on the elliptical and went on to run her 1st marathon and did very well 4:07. So, I think you don't have to give up but you certainly could use this as an excuse if you want to stop training for it. Also, make sure you're not injuring your achilles further by doing any of this. Good luck with it all. Let us know.

Lynn

2010-10-19 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3158733

User image

Master
Vista, CA

blackledge - 2010-10-18 1:14 PM Good luck with your new meal plan Dineen!  My friend basically had the same problem. She ate relatively healthy things but did not eat on anywhere near a regular schedule (i.e. skipped meals, ate lots at once, etc). She went on WW which kind of forced her to eat on a more regular basis and added in some healthy snacks and she has lost weight (still eating basically the same food she did before WW).

And I have a pre-announcement to make....We are having a... _____!  Sorry I don't know yet but will find out within the next two hours hopefully!

All right, buddy, we're all gonna push you off that blackledge if you don't fess up and tell us what IT is!

2010-10-19 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3154271

User image

Melon Presser
dinabean - 2010-10-15 11:30 PM So I just got out of a meeting with a nutritionist.  Turns out, I starve myself on a daily basis.  All that meal skipping is making me fat.  Go figure.  Anyway, got a meal plan that seems to make sense, and hoping to really get back on track with exercise now that I will hopefully be fueling myself better.  Diabetes can kiss my .

Yeah. Meal skipping is never good. And yes, starving yourself makes you fat. It's weird, but it's true. You can actually lose more weight eating more calories.

I'm so glad you're getting that sorted out!
2010-10-19 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3160029

User image

Melon Presser
thndrcloud - 2010-10-19 10:48 PM The HM I want to do is on November 27th and I have a problem.  Actually, I have a problem with every race I ever think about doing.  I can't seem to register for it/them until the last possible second.  It's totally a mental thing.

What's your weekly mileage been like? The higher it's been, the less the long run is critical. (I'm going to look at your logs anyway).

IF aqua jogging is suitable, that's a near dead-ringer for actual running.

However, Achilles is weird and can lead to gastrocnemius (calf) problems, so I don't know if aqua jogging IS suitable. But I'll find out.

2010-10-19 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3160054

User image

Melon Presser
lmscozz - 2010-10-19 11:03 PM

blackledge - 2010-10-18 1:14 PM Good luck with your new meal plan Dineen!  My friend basically had the same problem. She ate relatively healthy things but did not eat on anywhere near a regular schedule (i.e. skipped meals, ate lots at once, etc). She went on WW which kind of forced her to eat on a more regular basis and added in some healthy snacks and she has lost weight (still eating basically the same food she did before WW).

All right, buddy, we're all gonna push you off that blackledge if you don't fess up and tell us what IT is!

No kidding. I feel like I'm at the Alamo. You realize I'm totally outnumbered here, right?
2010-10-19 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3160080

User image

Melon Presser
TriAya - 2010-10-19 11:08 PM
thndrcloud - 2010-10-19 10:48 PM The HM I want to do is on November 27th and I have a problem.  Actually, I have a problem with every race I ever think about doing.  I can't seem to register for it/them until the last possible second.  It's totally a mental thing.

What's your weekly mileage been like? The higher it's been, the less the long run is critical. (I'm going to look at your logs anyway).

IF aqua jogging is suitable, that's a near dead-ringer for actual running.

However, Achilles is weird and can lead to gastrocnemius (calf) problems, so I don't know if aqua jogging IS suitable. But I'll find out.

Okay, so, looked at your logs and did some Achilles/aquajogging research.

Your training hasn't been high-volume, so yes, the long runs are very important.

If you want to do the HM, aqua-jogging will get you there. Of course, there are no guarantees. Your Achilles may not be all good even if you do no weight-bearing exercise in the next few eeks.

Elliptical and cycling will help your aerobic fitness; jury's out on whether they're appropriate for Achilles (it's by feel, really). Stationary cycling only, btw.
2010-10-19 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hi guys.  I have a new workout plan.  It's called the Marathon-to-Couch plan, and I'm doing the advanced version!  

Haha, kidding.  Sort of.  Not really.  I have had absolutely NO MOTIVATION to do anything ('cept eat potato chips).

Actually I decided I needed to shift gears pretty quick so I started P90X this morning.  Felt pretty good and I'm going to supplement with s/b/r as I feel like it.  The diet is kicking my butt...I am so used to WW that it is making me go back to the books and start over with a different approach, probably a very good thing at this point.  I am a little concerned about sustaining a 50/30/20 ratio in my diet, but since I do happen to live with the human version of T-rex, it shouldn't be hard from a family meal standpoint.

Allison, I hate to be the voice of lack of reason, but I had a minor achilles issue earlier in the spring when I ramped up my running a bit and a twinge in the middle of marathon training too.  I used the compression sleeves and stretched a lot, and got through it, but I didn't run thru any crazy pain, just soreness, so you'll have to figure out which it is for you.

Lynn, I am still feeling a bit sick to my stomach thinking about 3 hours on the elliptical.  You are a beast... and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Dineen, I would love to do a family costume, but my daughter is still insisting on the PRINCESS thing (grr, effuDisneymegacorporateconglomeratepoisoningmychildren'sminds).  THIS year it's Belle.  So at least I could buy Little Lord Fauntleroy a lion costume so he can be the BEAST, haha, typecasting.)  Maybe next year...

OOPS TANTRUM (not mine this time), gotta go 
2010-10-19 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Yanti, 

I guess it's not always wise to grab the bull by the horns... 
2010-10-19 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3160222

User image

Melon Presser
quincyf - 2010-10-20 12:06 AM Yanti, 

I guess it's not always wise to grab the bull by the horns... 

BWAH HA HA, BWAH HA HA oh you slay me.

That goes for my dinner adventure, too. It was actually such a piglet snausagefest that I had to go home and BT. Soooo easy on the eyes, so good for the ego, so good to go home. Alone.

2010-10-19 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3160088

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Sorry for keeping you all in suspence....
It's a GIRL!!!

Now we need help with names. I promised my DW I would ask my manatees since they have infinite wisdom.
DW wants the middle name to be Elizabeth since that name has been passed down for awhile in her family.  We have a list of about 10 girl names right now but these are our top 6 but please be warned that we are NOT telling anyone our choice. I just wanted to warn you in advance 
And please feel free to vote for more than 1 or add any comments on ones you like/don't like. We won't be offended.  It's hard to choose especially since DW is a teacher and kids ruin many names for her lol.

1.  Mira Elizabeth
2.  Colleen Elizabeth
3.  Catherine Elizabeth
4.  Sofia Elizabeth
5.  Chloe Elizabeth
6.  Emily Elizabeth
2010-10-19 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Oh MY Yanti, do tell!

And really, the teasing.  Enquiring minds want to know!

Q, is there a diet aspect to P90X?  You always look so fit, I can't imagine your needing a diet overhaul!  But I guess there are plenty of skinny people who are unhealthy, so it's never a bad thing to be mindful about eating.  I heard through the grapevine that one of our nasty neighbors made a comment about me -- "I don't know why Dineen makes such a big deal about what her kids eat; I mean really, look at her and her husband."  Grrrr.  Neither my husband or I are skinny, but he is running a half marathon every month this winter, and did 4 last winter, and that has to count for something, right? 

Anyhow, the diet -- the hardest part is planning to have food at the ready, which has always been my problem, but having a limited menu (pick one from column A, one from column B) seems to be helping somewhat.  I was originally not going to make my kids go gluten free, but the more reading I do, the more I am thinking it might be a good idea -- my older by (7) has some bad eczema, bed wetting issues, and attention issues/potential hyperactivity at school, and I recently read that all of those things can be a sign of allergies/intollerance to wheat, or at least exacerbated by diet.  So I am going to ditch the sandwiches for lunch and try to get him to follow this fully for a while and see if it helps.  The little guy wants to start bringing snack to school because he sees brother doing it, and I have resisted because the food at the day care is paid for, but it's also just OK -- a lot of crackers and Goldfish, where fruit + cheese would be a better option. 

BUT -- just since Friday, I have lost about 6 pounds.  Now, when I saw the doctor on Friday, they did the full body fat analysis and muscle density/bone density/water percentage thingie with electrodes and I had a lot of water weight extra, so I am sure it is that.  But it does mean my system is flushing out, so that's a good thing.  (Also?  Though my body fat percentage was waaaay high -- I could lose 60 pounds and still have plenty of cushion -- she said she was quite surprised by my muscle density based upon what I had told her about my diet.   That's pure BT encouragement and the work I put in for that sprint!  I really need to get back in the pool.  Only a dork like me could spend all summer not swimming, and then want to get back in the pool in winter.  Thankfully, I can swim outdoors in our pool.

Today's lunch, totally on diet:  six pieces of sashimi, small serving of brown rice, steamed mixed veggies.  Woo hoo!
2010-10-19 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3160330

User image

Melon Presser
blackledge - 2010-10-20 12:34 AM Sorry for keeping you all in suspence....
It's a GIRL!!!

Now we need help with names. I promised my DW I would ask my manatees since they have infinite wisdom.
DW wants the middle name to be Elizabeth since that name has been passed down for awhile in her family.  We have a list of about 10 girl names right now but these are our top 6 but please be warned that we are NOT telling anyone our choice. I just wanted to warn you in advance 
And please feel free to vote for more than 1 or add any comments on ones you like/don't like. We won't be offended.  It's hard to choose especially since DW is a teacher and kids ruin many names for her lol.

1.  Mira Elizabeth
2.  Colleen Elizabeth
3.  Catherine Elizabeth
4.  Sofia Elizabeth
5.  Chloe Elizabeth
6.  Emily Elizabeth

Sigh. I'm always wrong.

I actually really, really like all of the names. You can't go wrong. And they are all lovely classic names. But here in order of preference ...

1. I like Mira because it's pretty, and simple, yet unusual, but not weird. Nearly any cultural group could pronounce this and it's a name that is suitable everywhere--yet again, just unusual enough!

2. Sofia is gorgeous and not often heard anymore! Plus, its meaning is really the best of the bunch, I think.

3. I dig the alliteration (assonance?) of Emily Elizabeth. Emily is a very pretty, solid, and becoming less common name. Would you consider Emilia? I really like that.

4. Colleen is lovely, but fairly common. Anyone in the families Irish? With a name like Ryan?

5. Catherine is a wonderful classic name. However, guaranteed you (or others) will call her Cat or Cathy or Kitty or ... it always gets shortened.

6. Chloe--I like it, but least favorite because it's in a lot of weird contexts--Kardashian, perfume, dachshund, to name a few.

2010-10-19 1:27 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Allison--you haven't been on antibiotics in the last six months, have you?
2010-10-19 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
No antibiotics, just my daily allergy and asthma medicine with an amphetamine chaser.

I knew it Ryan!!!! My niece's name is Chloe so I'm a fan of that one, but with the middle name my actual preference is Emily followed by Catherine.  Sofia is lovely but it's actually becoming quite popular again.

Way to go on the diet plan Dineen!  I tried a gluten free diet for my little ADHD tornado (along with dairy free and all-natural with no artificial dyes or sweeteners) to no avail.  I know a lot of kids have shown improvement so I hope you're luckier than us.

Q, I'm considering pushing through it but not sure just yet.  I tried an easy jog this morning.  FAIL.  I made it a mile before I started feeling the soreness creep in.  I also had some shin pain shooting up into my right knee.  First order of business is to replace my shoes and see if that helps.  I'm also trying to get in to see my sister's chiropractor/physical therapist/massage person for a consult and see if they can "fix" me.

Now I'm off to take Ellie to the state's attorney's office.  I really hope today will mark the beginning of the end of all of this.

2010-10-19 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3160750

User image

Melon Presser
thndrcloud - 2010-10-20 3:14 AM No antibiotics, just my daily allergy and asthma medicine with an amphetamine chaser.

I knew it Ryan!!!! My niece's name is Chloe so I'm a fan of that one, but with the middle name my actual preference is Emily followed by Catherine.  Sofia is lovely but it's actually becoming quite popular again.

Way to go on the diet plan Dineen!  I tried a gluten free diet for my little ADHD tornado (along with dairy free and all-natural with no artificial dyes or sweeteners) to no avail.  I know a lot of kids have shown improvement so I hope you're luckier than us.

Q, I'm considering pushing through it but not sure just yet.  I tried an easy jog this morning.  FAIL.  I made it a mile before I started feeling the soreness creep in.  I also had some shin pain shooting up into my right knee.  First order of business is to replace my shoes and see if that helps.  I'm also trying to get in to see my sister's chiropractor/physical therapist/massage person for a consult and see if they can "fix" me.

Now I'm off to take Ellie to the state's attorney's office.  I really hope today will mark the beginning of the end of all of this.

Amphetamine chaser. Heh. I resemble that remark.

All the best to you today. The Manatees are with you, en force.
2010-10-19 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3160427

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Thanks Allison and Yanti for your input.  It is much appreciated!
We did look into the meaning of all of the names and their current popularity which both are factoring into our decision as well.
My wife posted it on the Bump and rec'd 79 votes. Sofia and Chloe were tied with 19, followed by Catherine with 17, Mira with 13, Emily with 10, and Colleen with 1.  But what do they know?   Not more than my fellow manatees that's for sure!
2010-10-19 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3160750

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Good luck at the state's office today Allison.  And I hope one way or another this leg pain can be fixed.  Are you looking to replace your shoes with the same ones or are you off to a running store to hit the dreadmill while people watch you run?
2010-10-19 10:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I'm currently wearing the Triax 12 but Nike discontinued them since they released the Triax 13 so I'll probably let them do a fitting and compare what they recommend to the new version.

The wife is on The Bump (which used to be part of The Nest which is an offshoot of The Knot for those keeping track at home)?  Tell her to ignore 85% of what she hears and that the chicks who are the most snarky are usually the ones with the best information. 
2010-10-20 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3161568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Yes, she's on the Bump and some other website.  Thanks for the tip. She has begun to realize that there are a lot of crabby and ill-advised people on that site.  Good luck with finding new shoes!
And DW thanks both of you for your name suggestions/comments. She was quite impressed!

2010-10-20 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3162259

User image

Melon Presser
blackledge - 2010-10-20 11:20 PM Yes, she's on the Bump and some other website.  Thanks for the tip. She has begun to realize that there are a lot of crabby and ill-advised people on that site.  Good luck with finding new shoes!
And DW thanks both of you for your name suggestions/comments. She was quite impressed!

Awww, well you know your wife has MBA cred--Manatee By Association!!!
2010-10-20 11:15 AM

User image

Master
WoW, I feel all caught up on the goings-on of the manatees 

Ryan - Congrats on your baby girl  I love all of the girls' names.  Catherine Elizabeth seems so sophisticated and beautiful.  I like Mira too.  I like names that a child can sound out and spell early on.  I love the name Brook as well...oops, that wasn't one of my choices.  Sorry

Allison - Best of luck in today's adventures.  We manatees will be thing about you.

Dineen - Such will power on the diet thing...Awesome!  I have none.

Q - I totally did that plan last March.  I'm thinking of doing the half marathon to couch this March.

Yanti - More details on the dinner date please

2010-10-20 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Are there too many happy faces in my previous post?  I really am a happy person  I always worry that what I type will be taken wrong, so I add
2010-10-20 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3162480

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
crews - 2010-10-20 11:15 AM WoW, I feel all caught up on the goings-on of the manatees 

Ryan - Congrats on your baby girl  I love all of the girls' names.  Catherine Elizabeth seems so sophisticated and beautiful.  I like Mira too.  I like names that a child can sound out and spell early on.  I love the name Brook as well...oops, that wasn't one of my choices.  Sorry

Allison - Best of luck in today's adventures.  We manatees will be thing about you.

Dineen - Such will power on the diet thing...Awesome!  I have none.

Q - I totally did that plan last March.  I'm thinking of doing the half marathon to couch this March.

Yanti - More details on the dinner date please

Thanks for your input on names. Brook is a good name but one of my wife's best friends has that name so we don't want her to get a big ego
It's great that you're a happy person. We all need some smiles in our lives.
Let's see if I use it correctly...
You are doing the "half marathon to couch program?" Or the couch to half marathon? If it's the first one where can I sign up   Sorry I couldn't resist and I am only teasing in a good way!   I would love to take my current training base and work back to the couch for awhile  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60