BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-01-30 12:29 PM
in reply to: #4601368

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed
JeffY - 2013-01-30 12:30 PM

Jo63 - 2013-01-29 6:56 PM Tony good for you! You should be proud of what you did today, just think of all the people who do nothing. It came up today how people think I am crazy for doing triathalons....Really? I try to eat healthy and excersise everyday, and take good care of myself......and the ones speaking the loudest, smoke, eat crappy and don't excersise. Sorry for the vent ......but you went out and ran 6.5 miles go you!!

Jo,  Most of the time when people think we are crazy, it's with a sense of reverent awe.  Sort of the way I would say to a 100-mile ultra runner, "you're crazy!" with an expression of admiration.

Say it any way you want Jeff, you ARE crazy.

2013-01-30 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4601504

User image

Expert
MI
wbayek - 2013-01-30 1:29 PM

Jo63 - 2013-01-29 6:56 PM Tony good for you! You should be proud of what you did today, just think of all the people who do nothing. It came up today how people think I am crazy for doing triathalons....Really? I try to eat healthy and excersise everyday, and take good care of myself......and the ones speaking the loudest, smoke, eat crappy and don't excersise. Sorry for the vent ......but you went out and ran 6.5 miles go you!!

Jo,  Most of the time when people think we are crazy, it's with a sense of reverent awe.  Sort of the way I would say to a 100-mile ultra runner, "you're crazy!" with an expression of admiration.

In all seriousness, sometimes I do think to myself that I am crazy... Tongue out

2013-01-30 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4601447

User image

NH
KWDreamun - 2013-01-30 1:02 PM

questions for the Junkies...  Does the gearing of bikes make it faster such as Tiagra, 105 or Ultegra etc?

What bike do you train with? State if it is a road bike or tri bike, whether it is 105, Ultegra or whatever and if it is named.

I train with a Fuji roadbike and it just has Tiagra gears and shifters.  name is Island Time cause it is so slow.

About a month before a tri I start riding my tri bike Cervelo and has 105 everything, name is Tallulah...remember the movie "Cool Running".

Island Time!  Love it.

The three groups you mentioned are various levels of Shimano groups.  I do not believe any group is necessarily "faster" other than the smoothness of shifting may be better as you go up the groups, as does the price.  Each group weighs a bit less, but even the weight weenies have to admit those differences are in the noise.

My main training bike is a road bike which has Shimano 105.  It has served as my only bike up until now.  It is a steel framed indestructible road bike - Jonathan can testify.  My new tri bike is a Cervelo P2 and has all Ultegra with a compact crank and weighs about 1/2 what my road bike weighs.  It is impatiently waiting in the basement for spring.

2013-01-30 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4601520

User image

NH
michgirlsk - 2013-01-30 1:36 PM

In all seriousness, sometimes I do think to myself that I am crazy... Tongue out

No one in this group would argue with you!

2013-01-30 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
KWDreamun - 2013-01-30 12:02 PM

questions for the Junkies...  Does the gearing of bikes make it faster such as Tiagra, 105 or Ultegra etc?

What bike do you train with? State if it is a road bike or tri bike, whether it is 105, Ultegra or whatever and if it is named.

I train with a Fuji roadbike and it just has Tiagra gears and shifters.  name is Island Time cause it is so slow.

About a month before a tri I start riding my tri bike Cervelo and has 105 everything, name is Tallulah...remember the movie "Cool Running".

I train on my road bike, cannondale CAAD10. It is a mix od 105 and ulterga, ultergra rear derailleur, shifters/105 from deraileur and cassette. It doesnt make you for faster per se, but there is a significant performance difference from tiagra/sora to 105. My racing bike has dura-ace, but honestly I dont think, especially for triathlon, that the dura-ace really gives and advantage other than maybe weight over ultegra.

2013-01-30 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4601183

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
mambos - 2013-01-30 11:01 AM
michgirlsk - 2013-01-30 10:13 AM

KWDreamun - 2013-01-30 10:11 AM Samantha, I just listened to youtube about triathlon nutrition. I may have typed Ironman nutrition but anyway the small of it was he didn't eat to many carbs the week of tapering and a light meal the night before, then 4 hrs before the race he would get up and eat 2 bagels and go back to bed, then get up and eat a very light breakfast before he race.  He also drank a bottle of gatorade prior to the swim.

See, that is interesting to me. I am so afraid of running out of energy and/or water, that I think I overdo it.  I think for my next race I will try out a light meal the night before and see how that works out... I will be very nervous about that though!  Because I'll be thinking to myself I'm not filling myself up with enough energy!

I have always tried to make lunch the day before a race my last big meal! After that it's just some light snacking, and a bagel the night before. Race mining maybe another bagel or if possible some small pancakes and a powerade! I don't want to risk having digestion going on during the race.

Karl I have heard the same thing. I know this a little bit off target but I have heard that some of the pros who do Ironman take in very few calories as compared to the AG'ers during the actual race. Where an AG'er might do 250-300 calories an hour some of the pros are doing 100 calories an hour. I find it very interesting that they can do that but I'm sure they've trained themselves to be able to do that. I know this has come up recently and been discussed by the group and I know Jeff and Dirk have weighed in on this as well.

2013-01-30 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4601548

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
strikyr - 2013-01-30 12:51 PM

KWDreamun - 2013-01-30 10:11 AM Samantha, I just listened to youtube about triathlon nutrition. I may have typed Ironman nutrition but anyway the small of it was he didn't eat to many carbs the week of tapering and a light meal the night before, then 4 hrs before the race he would get up and eat 2 bagels and go back to bed, then get up and eat a very light breakfast before he race.  He also drank a bottle of gatorade prior to the swim.

See, that is interesting to me. I am so afraid of running out of energy and/or water, that I think I overdo it.  I think for my next race I will try out a light meal the night before and see how that works out... I will be very nervous about that though!  Because I'll be thinking to myself I'm not filling myself up with enough energy!

I have always tried to make lunch the day before a race my last big meal! After that it's just some light snacking, and a bagel the night before. Race mining maybe another bagel or if possible some small pancakes and a powerade! I don't want to risk having digestion going on during the race.

Karl I have heard the same thing. I know this a little bit off target but I have heard that some of the pros who do Ironman take in very few calories as compared to the AG'ers during the actual race. Where an AG'er might do 250-300 calories an hour some of the pros are doing 100 calories an hour. I find it very interesting that they can do that but I'm sure they've trained themselves to be able to do that. I know this has come up recently and been discussed by the group and I know Jeff and Dirk have weighed in on this as well.

Don't you think part of it is because they are doing it In a much shorter time compared to AG ers?
2013-01-30 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4601610

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Jo63 - 2013-01-30 2:16 PM
strikyr - 2013-01-30 12:51 PM

Don't you think part of it is because they are doing it In a much shorter time compared to AG ers?

I think that is part of but I really think they train themselves to go on less. I think it's exactly like Jeff explained when we were discussing nutrition recently about about much fluid intake is needed. You can definitely train yourself to go with less nutrition. I'm not saying I would recommend anybody doing that but they prove it can be done. 

2013-01-30 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4601610

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Jo63 - 2013-01-30 1:16 PM  Don't you think part of it is because they are doing it In a much shorter time compared to AG ers?

That is certainly intuitive.  But the amount of calories it takes is close to being consistent only with distance.  ie. the Work (in the sense of physics) requires a certain amount of calories (a measure of energy).  Work is only related to weight and distance.

Think of it this way.  If they go 50% faster than a given age grouper, then they would be using 50% more energy PER HOUR, but be doing so for 50% less time.

Now, due to less than 100% metabolic efficiency, there is a certain pace that is the most efficient for a person and changing speed decreases that, but it's fractional.

but it's not just a simple matter of saying "Ironman takes x calories to complete".  The pros are so incredibly efficient that if you and a pro were running at the same pace that pro might be using half the calories you are.  At their race pace they may not be using much more than you.

So a pro DOES use less calories over the course of the race than an age grouper as a generalization.  And that may be what enables them to add only 100 per hour without running out of glycogen before the finish line.

Another reason is that the pace these people are moving is a pace that tends to shut down the body's digestion process....Similar to the effort you might be putting out in a Sprint triathlon.  So taking in 300 calories an hour at that pace might cause them to puke.

Is that overkill?  Sorry to go verbose.

2013-01-30 6:22 PM
in reply to: #4601820

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
JeffY - 2013-01-30 4:48 PM

Jo63 - 2013-01-30 1:16 PM  Don't you think part of it is because they are doing it In a much shorter time compared to AG ers?

That is certainly intuitive.  But the amount of calories it takes is close to being consistent only with distance.  ie. the Work (in the sense of physics) requires a certain amount of calories (a measure of energy).  Work is only related to weight and distance.

Think of it this way.  If they go 50% faster than a given age grouper, then they would be using 50% more energy PER HOUR, but be doing so for 50% less time.

Now, due to less than 100% metabolic efficiency, there is a certain pace that is the most efficient for a person and changing speed decreases that, but it's fractional.

but it's not just a simple matter of saying "Ironman takes x calories to complete".  The pros are so incredibly efficient that if you and a pro were running at the same pace that pro might be using half the calories you are.  At their race pace they may not be using much more than you.

So a pro DOES use less calories over the course of the race than an age grouper as a generalization.  And that may be what enables them to add only 100 per hour without running out of glycogen before the finish line.

Another reason is that the pace these people are moving is a pace that tends to shut down the body's digestion process....Similar to the effort you might be putting out in a Sprint triathlon.  So taking in 300 calories an hour at that pace might cause them to puke.

Kind of sounds like the excuse I always used for driving fast, the faster I go, the faster I get there so the less has I used! My dad didnt by it then either! The faster you go the more energy required!
2013-01-30 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
So Wednesday weigh in I came in flat at 19lbs! But after this past week I call that a success! We have had a lot of staff come into town from Japan over the last 2 weeks and everyone wants chicken wings! Of course I can't argue with the choice but it does no good for my weight! So a flat reading is a success!

at least today wasn't Sushi, I'm still regretting that!

Edited by mambos 2013-01-30 7:29 PM

2013-01-30 6:25 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
I took some pictures of my shoes.  They have 327 miles on them.  I'll try to get them uploaded soon so all of you can take a stab at diagnosing my foot strike.  Any suggestions on getting them uploaded?  Any pictures in particular I should take?
2013-01-30 7:02 PM
in reply to: #4601028

User image

New York
wbayek - 2013-01-30 9:52 AM
bhargavs - 2013-01-29 10:41 PM

Is this likely just a factor of me not having a good enough run foundation? And is it something I should worry about and not do until I can get my HR down. I think I kinda know the answer about the HR part - I need to test my HR zones and it could be vary from one person to another. But I was torn between making this a weekly run (with a fun group of people) versus potentially injuring myself. I have been running 3x a week (30-35 mins each) and it has felt good, so was looking to add 1 more run per week.

Should I take the other three runs much slower and control my HR while pushing myself on this one? Should I not run with the group for a while? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

So much to comment on in this post!  First, this type of run is typical of groups runs (and rides) where we set out to do a certain pace and end up doing a much more aggressive pace.  It’s human nature to turn every session into at least a little bit of a competition.  This is one of the negatives of group training, unless you have a VERY disciplined group, especially the leader.  But it can be a positive as well.

Second, running a sub nine pace is significantly faster than the upper 9’s.  So the HR jump doesn’t seem all that alarming, I think it’s simply a function of a much faster pace and the hills.  Also, did your HR climb throughout the run?  I can’t see from your logs how hilly some of your other runs are, but this one was quite a bit longer than you’ve been going and HR drift is also typical as the runs get longer.

In terms of should you run easier – I’d say for optimal training the answer is yes.  I’d really like to see you add that 4th run, and even a 5th or 6th if there’s any way to fit it in.  We don’t run easier just to run easier – we run easier so we can run more and stay healthy (see Jeff’s post on the forces of run speed).  But also consider, we do this sport for fun, so if running with some friends stretches you and is fun, I’d say go for it if as long as it’s within your capabilities and you aren’t getting injured.

As an example of running pace, I listened to a podcast where they interviewed three elite runners.  I understand these are runners only, so I’m not sure exactly how this translates to triathlon and sharing training time, but here’s the Reader’s Digest version.  They were a 1500 meter Olympic runner, a sub 2:10 marathoner, and a US champion master runner.  All three ran a HUGE percentage, like 85-90%, of their miles at ridiculously easy paces.  Like 1:30-2:00 slower than their marathon pace.  As a percentage, that’s like 35-40% slower than they run a marathon.  For a shlep like me, who runs a half in the upper 1:40s, that would mean a typical training pace around 11:20!  I don’t think I’ve ever run at that pace.

I’m just mentioning this as a reminder.  Most of our running can be a lot slower than we run and still be very beneficial – it’s more about the time on your feet.  The current trend is to say "how can you race fast when you don't train fast", but then I see a guy training at 7:00 pace and running 4:50s for an entire marathon and I'd say that argument isn't valid.  But when it's time and you’re ready to run hard, run hard.  Even in very small doses speedy running has a huge impact.

Lots of great input and thoughts. Thank you Warren and Jeff.  

Yes, I did not think about the hills and the impact on HR. Most of my runs prior have been pretty flat. So that makes sense. And I'm hoping I can get my current 10-12 mpw to 15 mpw over the next few weeks so I'll have a better base to compare my HR to. 

2013-01-30 7:15 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Down 1.5 lbs this week for a total of 5.5 lbs since Jan 1. I'm getting closer to running the entire 30 mins in the C25K program.

2013-01-30 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4601820

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
JeffY - 2013-01-30 4:48 PM

Jeff that's not overkill at all and thanks for weighing in on this. I think you said it best in that the pros are much more efficient than your average AGer when it comes to their calorie intake. I have acutally been thinking about this a lot. I know there is really no set number of calories one needs to take in and it will vary from person to person for Ironman. I am thinking I will be doing a lot of experimenting with this during training. I would like to take in the least number of calories I will require to keep functioning during the event. 

I'm sure it's a fine line, too much nutrition is probably as bad as too little nutrition and the longer you're out there the harder it becomes to digest complex carbs since the blood is drawn away from the stomach which is normally used for the digestive process and is instead used to fuel your muscles. I guess it sort of becomes a balancing act in trying to take in enough fuel to keep you going while trying not to run into the dreaded GI issues where you wind up not being able to digest what you take in.

2013-01-30 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Finally seem to be coming around from the head cold. I got a short swim in today and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I usually don't swim when I feel like that. I also got in my bike workout tonight as well, week 9 day2  of Jorge's WCP. That was harder then it should have been. While I am feeling better I really didn't have much energy today during the swim and on the bike. Hopefully I kick this thing tomorrow and find time to get at least a short run in.

Edited by strikyr 2013-01-30 8:01 PM

2013-01-30 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4601520

User image

Bronze member
michgirlsk - 2013-01-30 12:36 PM
wbayek - 2013-01-30 1:29 PM

x2 I think this too. Especially in April when I drag out my wetsuit and swim in my friends 60 degree pond and make friends with the catfish. I always think to myself "this is not normal"!

Edited by trigal38 2013-01-30 9:18 PM
2013-01-30 9:23 PM

User image

Bronze member
KWDreamun - 2013-01-30 12:02 PM

I've been riding my road bike on the trainer all winter. It is a Specialized Dolce. When the weather straightens out and I can ride outside I'll be on my tri bike - Felt B16. I don't know anything about gears and shifters except that my road bike shifts terrible and drops the chain all the time.

2013-01-30 9:38 PM

User image

Bronze member

Had a whole thing typed up on nutrition but it was just erased so I'll take that as a sign to spare you all.

I stepped up my cycling workout today and downloaded the sufferfest video "Hell Hath No Fury". I dropped it in on TR so I had all the cadence and power info plus the video (which was footage from a womens cycling race) and music. That was fun and really brought the workout to life. My speed sensor quit working half way through the workout but I didn't even care. I had been toying with the idea of purchasing one of the videos and I have to say, I'm glad I did! It took 4 hours to download though which was a little frustrating.

2013-01-30 9:39 PM
in reply to: #4602042

User image

Bronze member
jpbis26 - 2013-01-30 7:15 PM

Down 1.5 lbs this week for a total of 5.5 lbs since Jan 1. I'm getting closer to running the entire 30 mins in the C25K program.

Woo Hoo! That's got to feel great, keep it up!

2013-01-31 12:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Okay, which one of you passed the head cold to me?!  This is my 3rd sickness in around 1 month... first was flu, next was sore throat (which I tried to get ahead of by taking a Z pack immediately), and now as soon as I finish the Z pack, I've got a head cold... These pretzels are making me thirsty!

2013-01-31 12:39 AM
in reply to: #4602288

User image

Elite
far northern CA

pistuo - 2013-01-30 10:06 PM Okay, which one of you passed the head cold to me?!  This is my 3rd sickness in around 1 month... first was flu, next was sore throat (which I tried to get ahead of by taking a Z pack immediately), and now as soon as I finish the Z pack, I've got a head cold... These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Oh man!  You too?  Sorry.

2013-01-31 12:40 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

OK.  What's that site that helps you load pictures?  I really want to get these shoe pictures on here.

2013-01-31 4:44 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Sucks to be me!!!  Yesterday morning I was awakened early by a phone call reporting 1 broken pole caused by a vehicle accident.  I spoke to one of our Troublemen who had just arrived on the scene.  He reported, after a long arduous walk, that I had 8 poles broken off.  So, needless to say my day went long and we aren't done with the pole replacements yet.  I expect to be done late today but the conditions are fierce, so it could be tomorrow morning.  I'll try to post some pics sometime but the essence of our work is pretty ugly.

The trouble is our 69kv line runs through a plowed field.  That wouldn't be so bad if it were 20 degrees out and frozen.  But that is not the case!!!  We had warm temps and rain.  Then more rain.  Then more driving rain!!!  We are using dozers and specialized tracked equipment for access and our work but progress is remarkably slow because of the sticky mud.  Once you plant your feeet you have to try to pick them up slowly or risk losing your boot altogether and that might be come a bit unpleasant.

I lost yesterday's training, which was supposed to be a 3 mile run, and I might lose tonight's swim.  The swim is a big disappointment because the pool has either been closed or the hours have been impossible for me to get there and swim.  Time will tell.

2013-01-31 5:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Jackie: congrats on your weight loss.
Dirk: good luck getting all the poles fixed it is supposed to be cold here today I assume the same for where you live, stay warm and I hope it goes quick
Jeff: that makes sense on the nutrition.
Will:take care
Dina: swimming with catfish? No thank you. lol

Iam actually up 3 lbs I am hoping it is muscle I was told my body will adjust now that Iam adding the amount of calories it needs, on the positive side I feel good and my cloths are fitting better.
Margie's surgery is today it is actually an outpatient, I thought she would at least be in overnight.

I have a trek road bike that I ride inside and when the weather warms up to about 80 I will go outside to ride and then I ride my trek tri bike, as far as my gearing I ask at the bike shop if Iam good for whatever race, I know I have asked here about it , but right now it's to much trouble to learn
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119