BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-04-25 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.

Anthony, that's awesome that you and your wife ar going to finally be together in Chicago!  You both win the patience award and yes, time for some celebrating.

Joe, glad your race is fast approaching.  Sounds like you are ready!  And maybe a little bit crazy...49 degrees....yikes!

Steve, I'm with you on only going back as far as 25.  Did you get to start on the swim training?

Jay, nice workouts!  I think the elliptical is about the best of the gym machines for overall fitness without much injury risk.

Mike, happy spring!  Glad your work friends are going to be patronizing the local businesses, and hopefully the local cab companys to pour them home!

Went for a swim yesterday.  Towards the end sucked in some water and had to grab the lane rope and cough it out.  Went to the mirror after showering, and found I had popped a blood vessel in my eye. Ha, ugly eye as evidence of ugly swim!  Need more frequency on swimming if I hope to get into something resembling a groove. 

Thanks so much for all your prayers and encouragement re: my friend.  Heard from her hubby yesterday, and he had talked to her via phone and was so relieved.  She is getting along great, nice roommates, everyone respectful and polite to her, and even enjoyed the food (hamburger day).

2013-04-25 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Anthony: I had no idea that was going on in your personal life.  That is truly a blessing to get a good job in Chicago and get to be with your wife again.  Did you sell the condo yet or are you considering renting it? (you left that portion open!)  Thanks for the opinion on the bike...and the perspective on our group and our lives

Steve: You asked about my son and running yesterday...I don't think my 8 year old has that in him yet.  He's built more like a linebacker than a runner at this point and he's more interested in traditional sports like basketball, baseball, etc.  I understand your point about not being able to get faster on the bike (and I appreciate it) I'm just really curious as to what MPH on the bike is considered decent. 

Mike: Last night sounds like a great decision.  The weather has been so crappy around here and we seem to be couped up for so long that its great to get out and enjoy it with everyone!  Your story about the bar crawl made me laugh...reminded me of my younger days of Friday liquid lunches and other such youthful nonsense!

Carol: Sorry to hear about the eye after having swallowed water   You know you'll get better if you spend more time in the pool...but like me and the bike, its not the most appealing option!  I'm glad to hear that your friend seems to be around decent cellmates thus far; that can really help while doing her sentence.

So today, I attempted to do a lesser workout than yesterday and wasn't shocked to find that I didn't have my umph today.  I got through most of my workout but the weights were less with strength training and my cardio intensity wasn't there either; I even skipped my swim because I was done.  I expected this to be the case but I'd be lying if I didn't admit a small part of me hoped I could bounce back like I would've pre-injury.  Again, I question whether its my keto diet but I suspect the real culprit is just overall lack of fitness due to my injury.

I wanted to take a minute and follow up on something that Anthony mentioned in a post.  He mentioned how much he's learned in sport and out of sport from all of us.  I agree completely and feel blessed to be introduced to some really great people who aren't afraid to share what's in their hearts good or bad.

2013-04-25 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Anthony - That is an amazing story.  Enjoy the time together.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder, but nothing beats being able to hug your loved ones any time you like!

Steve - I still can't believe those interviews!  Good job on the recovery so far.  Your patience will pay off in the end!

Jay - your doing great!  Nutrition is very important while endurance training.  Fueling the body is of the up-most importance, event while trying to lose weight... I always use a gel of something when training for more than an hour. 

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon-news/articles/2013/04/zeasorb-physiology-of-an-ironman.aspx?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ironman%2Ftopstories+%28Ironman.com+Top+Stories%29#axzz2RUqxyhiV

This is an article on what is happening to your body during an Ironman.  Good stuff!

Mike D - enjoy that weather!  That finish line crawl sounds like a great idea!  making sure that the local business and area are not going to be held down!

I haven't been getting much sleep still.  Turns out that my wife is having a high risk pregnancy.  Some indicators came out that there is a 15% chance of Down Syndrome.  the doctors don't seem to be worried as she is over 35 and on some different meds.  We went ahead with an Ambio yesterday and another test that will reveal any abnormalities. 

I'm not that worried either way.  No matter what my daughter will be a blessing.  If she happens to have some problems we will just work with it.  Maybe she'll be one of the first Ironman with mental disabilities!  Or Special Olympics here we come!

I'm just trying to stay positive and make sure my wife is as healthy and happy as can be.  Training is obviously secondary but my wife is extremely encouraging when it comes to my fitness.  Love her more than words can  say!

Quick 4 mile run this morn.  Bonked a bit on the last mile.  I will do another run and swim tomorrow.  Beach boot camp with my running group on Sat, then my 8 miler on Sunday

2013-04-25 4:36 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois

Mike – I hope that leg issue clears up for you. Would stretching help any? Maybe yoga or something similar could help loosen it up. I did P90X for a while and the yoga dvd helped me immensely. I have never been super flexible, but I could definitely tell the yoga helped. I just felt better all around – from tying my shoes to climbing around at work and of course working out also.

Carol – Swimming kicks my butt too! Fortunately I haven’t had any physical evidence of the beating so far. Hope that eye clears up for you.

Mitch – I hope that all goes well with the pregnancy. I was happy to hear the thoughts you had on the situation. Continue being the rock for your wife to stand on, and no matter what the outcome is, you will certainly be blessed with the addition to your family.

Jay – I never really answered your question about the speed. I started out averaging 16ish mph on the bike for my rides last year. That was out on roads with stop signs and everything. I think 18 mph is kind of the magical number that most people search for when they have to stop and start during bike rides. In a race or closed course environment maybe a mile or two faster. It sounds like you have the strength to push a big gear so it all depends on the cadence. I would really focus on form (try to focus on creating smooth circles with your foot and eliminate dead spots in your pedal stroke). From there you will really be able to cruse because of the efficiency you have mastered.

Thanks for all the congratulations! I tend to be a better listener than a talker, and I bottle up life’s troubles. Add on top of that all of the job searching, traveling to Chicago, and everything else, and I didn’t end up sharing my life situation. These next couple of weeks are going to be bitter sweet. When I get down to it, I really do enjoy the job I currently have. I have been inspecting bridges for various railroads around the country as well as some engineering work. Over my 3 years with this company I have learned a great deal; I have been to 36 states; and I have met some very great and memorable people. All this has forced me to overcome a lot of things that have made me stronger as a person. Unfortunately, I have had to put a lot of my life on the backburner while doing all of that. I am really looking forward to rebuilding relationships with friends and family and having more opportunities to pursue my hobbies. The people I have worked with are all great, and I am leaving on good terms, so I hope that we stay in touch. However, it is time to turn a new page. This new job will be more stressful and have more responsibilities attached, but it also offers me a lot more opportunity to grow my career and learn my profession (plus I can travel voluntarily instead of mandatory). Plus, they offered me a tad more than I make now without all the 60 hour weeks, so it comes out even a little higher (I'm currently salaried). As for the condo, it still is for sale. I crunched all the numbers I could find, and it turns out that we probably wouldn’t make much more than the money needed to pay the mortgage and taxes. I would really like to keep it and rent the place out, but I also don’t like the idea of other people possibly ruining all the hard work my wife and I have put into it (especially if we have to pay the damages). Hopefully, with the nice weather on the horizon, we will get some increased traffic through the place with some offers to follow. Maybe a bidding war! We’ll see, but we’ve been swinging mortgage and rent for seven months now so another month or two shouldn’t be a problem.

Keep up the training/healing/real life! I’m off for a run.

2013-04-25 9:03 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

A solid bike speed is 22 mph sustained over any distance 8).  If you hang with pure cyclists bump that to 24 mph.  Mop is more like 18 mph for men probably 17 ish mph for women (IM distance).  Again faster for sprints than IMs. 

Going to start things back up with some walking and slow short bike.  I couldn't swim until at least 2 weeks out from the surgery so will start that tomorrow.  

Edited by Baowolf 2013-04-25 9:22 PM
2013-04-25 9:50 PM

User image

Veteran

I've been away too long again. I don't know what it is this time around that makes it hard for me to stay up with this group, but I think about y'all everyday (no joke). So I didn't get the job. Steve and I had a similar interview process, it seems, where I really think my interview was a necessary requirement, but the position was already filled. But I also still have a job I enjoy so I'll keep my eyes open. My trip to Montana was great. Did an 80 mile ride in the worst wind I've ever riden in and intermittent snow and rain. Over the last two weeks I think I have slightly injured my calf muscle. Last week I had to walk the second half of my 6.5 mile run. Since then I've been walking and will reassess at the end of this week. My knees were aching like crazy during my biking and when I wasn't doing anything. They seem to have calmed down. Swimming is good, though I have to be careful to not aggravate my calf. So life is moving along. I'm learning more about myself and God during this training process than I anticipated. I'm experiencing fear in ways I never have and am learning to keep moving anyway. I'm still trying to understand my motivation for the choices I make and know how to give grace to myself. I'm very thankful that the weather has been stunning this week, which makes it really easy to get out and do my workouts. Overall I'm okay today.

Mitch - sounds like you are really getting back at it with your running. So very happy for you!

Mike - So glad you and your family werent at the finish line! Sorry about all the fatigue you are feeling.

Jay - I feel the same as you regarding the tension we live in between being faithful witnesses and living in the reality of being a human with very strong feelings and emotions. People really tick me off and I want to tell em'. And this situation is devastating to so many.

Carol - I'm hoping you are feeling better and have some oomph to get out there again even if its just for the fun of it. You truly are like the mother of our group. You never forget me or anyone else and its doesn't go unnoticed or un-appreciated.

Jay - I love that you are blowing your recovery out of the water. How happy that must make you to be getting back at it with such gusto in the midst of injury. Props to your little guy for his high rank!

Steve - bummer about the jobs! What tough interviews! Have em' call me and I'll give you a reference Your kids are incredible and what fun to be so proud of them. Please walk! And I appreciate your waxing philosophical.

Pam - I love your new diet! And I sure hope it makes a difference for you. Reading your post about the thrown together race brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful experience!

Anthony - huge congrats to you and your wife. Distance is never easy on a relationship even if it does draw you together, so I'm very happy that is changing.

Still so thankful to be part of this group! Happy Friday!

2013-04-26 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Glad to hear you are back at it, Steve, or will be very shortly.

I did an hour on the bike this AM, and it felt empowering. A nice reminder that despite last weeks craziness and my painful butt/hammy thing, this working out is fun and feels great.
2013-04-26 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Good afternoon everyone.  I have to share a story that happened to me earlier this afternoon.  I'm sure we've all read the "horrible swimmer etiquette" stories in the triathlon talk section...well, I had mine today.  I did my PT this morning and that went okay....I did a lot more balancing things today..which was really hard.  After my session, I went to the Y for my lifitng/swimming.  I went to the pool and all lanes were full.  I waited by one lane and as the guy came back to me, I waited for him to give me eye contact to ask to share the lane....doesn't even acknowledge me.  Okay, that's not a big deal but to make sure he knows I'm joining, I'll wait until he comes back again.  So I went in the pool and waited by the end, then I waited for him to come back and again....he doesn't acknowledge me.  Okay, maybe he's focused on his workout...that's fine but there's no way you can't know I'm joining you when I'm IN the pool.  So off I go and not even at the first 25 yards, this guy is in the MIDDLE of the lane.  I go way over and hit the divider...stopping cold.  This guy is really making me angry; he's doing the breast stroke, there's no way you don't see me.  Perhaps he sucks at swimming...okay, fair point but your BREAST STROKING!  I go on and then the next time we cross paths, he's STILL in the middle of the lane and I go to the divider again.  At this point, my technique is awful, I'm boiling, and bad things are going to happen.  Working in corrections makes you averse to the usual ackwardness of confrontation; I have no issue with it.  On a personal level, I have no patience for rude and inconsiderate people....I worked for years in retail and dealt with many, many jerks.  So I quickly decide its best if I just get out of the water and decide if I'm going to just leave or swim again.  The lifeguard on duty is the aquatics director so I make eye contact with him and give him a "are you F**king kidding me with this nonsense look".....he looks down quickly.  Fortunately, another lane opened up but it was by far the worst swim that I've had in a very long time.  The lone bright spot was that Mike's wifes statement came into my head....I was mad that I swam the worst 400yard in a long time...but not too long ago, doing 400 yards period would've been a great day.  Moral of this story is that sadly, the bad etiquette swimmers are real!

Steve: Thanks for the information on bike speed.  That's exactly what I was looking for.

Samantha: It was great hearing from you again!  It sounds like training is progressing nicely.

Anthony: Keep us updated with how things move along with the new job and move to Chicago.

2013-04-26 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

I’ve been out of the posting loop for several days and now I’m pushed for time so this will be a quickie post.  Gosh, I love you guys because you have all nailed it; while we may not “know” each other, each one of you is so important to me because of the sharing and the common attitude.  I can tell you guys things that I can’t tell to people I work with, some of my family, and many of my friends

Let me see if I can address everyone that I wanted to…

Steve, man, I’m so sorry!!!!  You have got to kidding me that they actually said that you weren’t bubbly enough?!  How moronic of them!  Like that should be something they want in a position that needs to respond to crisis.  You don’t want to work with those idiots.  I know that you still have your other job but I’ll still be praying that somewhere is the perfect fit for you.

Anthony, that is awesome about you moving to Chicago.  I love the way that you described your situation as “absence makes the heart grow fonder”.  You gave a beautiful testament to the love of your wife.  I’m excited you two will finally be able to live together.

Jay, congrats on the weight loss and the remarkable recovery.  Thank you for sharing the story of your son; he is proud of his dad.  Savor that.  My son is 15 y.o. and he would not express any pride in me even if I won Kona Ironman or negotiated world peace.

Mitch, best of luck with the baby.  Let us know what the docs find out.  My ambio showed an anomaly and I had to have further tests.  The docs still weren’t sure but I got a perfect child several months later.  I know that it’s a scary time.

Oh Mike, love, love, love the pub crawl idea for Boston!!!  And you have a remarkably smart wife.  I know that oftentimes we get upset when we stall but it’s great that your wife put it all into perspective for you.

Joe, you have a great attitude about your race.  Go get ‘em!

Samantha, so glad you reported in.  Hope that you find the cause of the problems.

Carol, thank you for letting us know about your friend.  I have been praying that she gets good roommates and that she settles in as comfortably as possible so I’m thrilled to hear that.

Plz forgive me if I left anyone out or if I sound overly terse.  I can read the post from work but can’t reply so I’ve been keeping up with everyone.  But my time at home, when I can finally post, is limited.  Have a good weekend everyone.

2013-04-27 3:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

I've been struggling this week with no energy.  Mental, rental, low hemo, lack of training, some bad news, heat....?  Wed I was going to move down from this weekend's 10K to a 5K but they told me I could wait til race day.  (The race was for the Ronald McDonald House where I volunteered for years so this is a charity close to my heart.)  Today I decided I might as well go for it and DNF or crawl in instead of taking the easier route.  I just stayed within myself the whole time.  Was pleasantly surprised at mile 3 but figured I would tank the 2nd half.  It actually ended well.  Not a PR but closer than I ever thought I'd come (I have a soft 10K PR).  Encouraging for me.  I'm going to look for a Fall 10K and work toward besting my PR.

The group is quiet today so I guess everyone is out training.  Have a great weekend.

2013-04-27 4:09 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Just so you guys know.... sometimes folks join a gym... and don't know the pool etiquette about lane sharing.  The guy is probably talking to his wife about this rude guy at the gym who clearly saw that he was swimming in his lane hung out for a  while so he knew I was swimming and then just started swimming in my line.  I mean I kept going because it was my lane, but he almost ran right into me 2x before he finally got out and got his own lane.  Some guys are so impatient, I would have been done in another 100 yards sheesh, some people.  It is worse when you are in an IM and you hit someone head on cuz they are that far off course.  

Anyway I am sure someone will help him figure it out before he knocks heads too many times. It should be part of the info packet when signing up or during a walkthrough or something.  

So I am on the mend.  It is odd that I can feel that the side of my knee where they took the stuff out is physically warmer to the touch than the rest of the knee.  Probably means not yet time to start a serious build yet huh.  Well got the lawn mowed, sprinkler system is up, will put 60 pounds of firtelizer on it tomorrow.  I have one application in at the moment and if that doesn't pan out I may just hang for another year or whatever.  I really do like my house, oh well will follow the path the best I can.  

I have to share one thing though... so I was going for a walk during lunch and this guy with an electric wheelchair crosses the street as I am coming up to the intersection... so I drafted off him for a ways before finally pulling ahead as he navegated the curb.  Just thought it would be a good imiage for you guys when you are feeling bad about your workouts.  You can just imagine Steve drafting off an 85 year old with 02 tanks in a little rascle.  Be safe.  

2013-04-27 6:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Okay Steve, I'll give you that rebuttal!  It did make me laugh   I will note however that all members are given pool rules and circle swimming is mentioned.  That is all!

Pam: Glad to hear that the race went well.  I hope the hemoglobin levels are starting to rise a little bit so you can get some energy back!

I've decided that the next focus for me needs to be with the bike.  Thanks to the group and some private instruction from Steve, I think I know what I need to do.  The issue I'm having is taking a tumble while clipped in....yes, I've mentioned this before.  However, I did bring it up with my PT and she says that I can do it and thinks my concern is a real one.  I think the weather is a factor (as Mike D would verify!) but I'm also nervous because its new.  Much like swimming, its time to tackle this monster head on and improve.

Hope everyone is training hard and/or enjoying their weekend!

2013-04-27 8:14 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
The thing about biking as once you get a decent base you can put much more intensity in your rides without as much risk of injury (just don't pull up too hard on the backstroke or ya calf pull).  So you can do 4 sets of intervals a week on a bike while only really 1 interval and 1 temp per week on the run (at our ages).  But to get faster on the bike you need to push yourself insainly hard.. after you get a decent base in.  BTW the cut off for nebie cyclist in cyclist terms is 5000 miles a year. ....
2013-04-27 8:14 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
The thing about biking as once you get a decent base you can put much more intensity in your rides without as much risk of injury (just don't pull up too hard on the backstroke or ya calf pull).  So you can do 4 sets of intervals a week on a bike while only really 1 interval and 1 temp per week on the run (at our ages).  But to get faster on the bike you need to push yourself insainly hard.. after you get a decent base in.  BTW the cut off for newbie cyclist in cyclist terms is 5000 miles a year. ....
2013-04-27 11:39 PM

User image

Veteran

Today was a big day for me. 85 mile bike and 4 mile walk after. The bike was an emotional roller coaster for me. It did two out-and-backs on the IMCDA course. Going out I was riding into an ave. of 20+mph winds and I don't do so well against the wind. I was lucky to see 10mph; 6-8 was about all I could maintain. Plus the slow riding up some good hills. It was exhausting and scary at times. Gusts would whip past me and make my bike wobble and my heart jump out of my chest. Oh how many times I wanted to call it quits. Then on the way back I couldn't keep up with my bike because the tail wind was pushing me along. I topped out at 35mph and that's only because I used my brakes. I don't like going really fast. My neck started to hurt pretty bad from aero position and my knees were aching so bad from grinding uphill and against the wind. I made it though and am pretty stoked about it. Although if it's windy on race day like it was today I don't know what the outcome will be. I averaged 13+mph and that isn't fast enough to make the cut-off time, so I'm not sure how to feel about it. I also did a 4mile walk after the ride and felt pretty darn good. I definitely could have kept going for a long time.  Tomorrow I will do my 7 mile walk and see how my calf responds. I think I can try running again next week I just have to look at when the injury happened and see how much rest I've given it.

Jay - I had a similar experience in the pool last year. Fortunately I was able to have an intense conversation with the other swimmer and explain the situation, but we nearly ran into each other. I was incredibly frustrated that she didn't seem to have a clue. So glad y'all didn't bonk heads. And for the bike I can tell you it really does get easier and much like driving a car, there will come a time when you just do things from habit. I have been pleasantly surprised to see my confidence increase as I am out there more and more. I still struggle with fears about different things, but as I push through them they have less hold. And we all tubble when clipped in

Pam - for all the struggle you have been really great about getting out there when you REALLY don't want to and that counts for so much. It's easy to get out there when we feel good and have the energy, but when you would rather be doing anything else it is such a great accomplishment. Especially considering you have the hemoglobin challenge on top of a whole lotta RL.

Steve - I laughed out loud for about a minute picturing you drafting off the old dude in the scooter. Absolutely fantastic and ridiculous in every good way. You do have a pretty sweet house with a great workout room!

Night!

2013-04-28 1:09 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Samantha, the good thing about IM's is that they start nasty early in the morning and the wind typically doesn't kick up on most courses until around noon or so.  My guess is that you get through at least the first loop with minimal bike wind (less than 10 mph).  Also in CDA there are some trees, so that helps.  It sounds like your bike ride today was worth like 95 to 100 miles on a not so windy day.  Your neck will get sore on the bike from aero, especially after 80 miles or so.  Just survive it for now, ride up on the horns and alternate back down on the bars as you can.  So my guess is your IM bike will be faster than that pace.  And your swim will give you a 30 minute cushion as your swim is fast.  But it would be nice if you had a 60 to 90 minute cushion coming into the run with an iffy calf.  You are by no means out of the race at this point.  If you can get 2 more bikes of around that difficulty (longer less wind or same with same wind) you should be ok on race day bike wize.  Wind is harder than hills, it doesn't stop.  The CDA hills are steap but not long.  My HIM in Napa last year had a 10 mile sustained uphill.  That is a different beast.  Tahoe also has a pretty sustained 1000 or so feet climb in the middle (2x).  Your bike special needs will be after you come in from the hills and along the lake turn around and then back a couple miles from the turn around if I remember right.  Also if the course is the same you have a slight downhill the last 8 ish miles (but also into the wind so meh better than nothing).  Also when you come in from the swim go all the way into the tents and use the chairs to change your gear, chairs are good.  The run is pretty flat with one hill you get to hit twice.  A much more run friendly course than Vineman.  The crowd is pretty good with some music along the way and folks sparying you with water.  If it is hot... stay wet.  I would have a cheap windbreaker type jacket in both special needs bags.  Your bike is not fast enough to keep you warm if it is cold and rainy ... = risk of hypothermia.  Same for the run, even if it is warm in the day when the sun sets the temp may drop and you will be wet for a while from keeping cool.  Anyone more stuffs as you get closer.  I am optimistic... Prayers.

I looked at your logs.  You have what 5 weeks left before the race?  So that is either  Not sure where you are in your cycle, but that is like 1-2 build cycles.  I would like to see 2 more rides of 85-110 (3 would be better,  2 is enough), 3 more swims of 4000+ yards (preferably closer to 5000) and the run ... will have to be played by ear.  Your bike miles and walking will maintain 80% of your run fitness ish.  So if you listen to your body that is enough time to be mended enough to do the race.  The run is the only iffy part at this point, you will know more in a few weeks.  

Edited by Baowolf 2013-04-28 1:15 AM

2013-04-28 1:18 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So do ya'll know the story about the man who couldn't sleep because he had a cricket in his house he couldn't find.  He went to a wise man on the hill who said get a cat.  The cat made additional noise.  On future trips he was advised to get a dog, horse, cow, elephant, (lots of animals).  The man still couldn't sleep.  So the last advise the wise man gave was to get rid of all the animals except for the cricket that you cant find.  The man did so and slept like a baby with the relaxing sound of the cricket to lul him to sleep.  That may be what my job search will be.
2013-04-28 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Its almost nice enough here to go riding outside in the AM, so maybe next week. Instead I did 2.5 hours on the trainer this AM and logged 37 miles - slow but good to get the work in. Now I'm off to a full day of kids sports games, including one 1.5 hours away.
2013-04-29 4:01 AM

Blairstown, NJ

Steve - Make sure you keep  safe distance with those wheelchairs. You don't want to clip a wheel or something..

Samantha - What a journey, I am excited for you. The wind is one thing I do not like on the bike. Way to tough it out though. The race day will be much different than your current training. I like Steve's thinking here.

Pam - Busy is tough to get things done WO's wise. Sometimes I just have to let it go. No sense sweating over it. Tomorrow is another day and you will be stronger with the rest.

Jay - Cannot say I have had that experience but your reaction is understandable. I am luck to often have my own lane but like to share as it adds interest to the WO. I have added many miles on the bike this year and is paying off.

Mike - Glad the weather is improving. Although I started my ride Sunday in 38 degrees. Burrr!!!

Buig week end with a couple challenges. Saturday was swim day and I felt good. Was not sure what to fit in but decided to swim continuous and had a bit of an impromtu 1hr continuous swim challenge. Ended with 2800 yards in the hour. Think I did it once before but forgot to write it down somewhere I can remember. I think it is at least 400 yards improvement so excellent there. Then Sunday I said to the wife I would go for and early bike ride 6:30 AM and then we can do all the other stuff, yard work etc... Ok got everything ready the night before and when I woke up it was 39 degrees. Darn I did not take the long pants! Oh well I am going any way. Check the temp one more time and now it reads 38 degrees. This is not going in the right direction! Anyway, I froze for the first 4-5 miles of down hill but warmed up and finish with a new long distance of 30 miles. Very decent speed of 15+MPH. Lucky early morning with no wind and by the time I finished it was around 50 degrees. Very busy weekend. Happy training everyone!

2013-04-29 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey all, stayed mostly offline over the weekend, so time to catch up w/ you guys!

Mitch - great job being there for your wife right now.  Praying that all comes out well for you and your baby, and know you're going to be a great dad to him or her regardless. 

Joe - nice 2800 yards/hour!  Not sure whether to congratulate you or question your sanity on riding the bike @ 39 degrees though . But you got a distance PR, so I'm going with congrats!

Jay - sorry you had to deal with a swim etiquette challenged person.  Glad you are getting excited about riding more (intensely).  Are you used to being clipped in already, or is that a new challenge?  I understand your hesitation.  After my sprained ankle, clipping in/out was the last thing I really wanted to do...ouch!

Mike - nice trainer ride and kids sports marathon!  Hope the weather gets warmer for you.

Pam - glad your 10K was a pleasant surprise!  Nice to have that positive in the midst of all the life and health challenges.

Anthony - glad you are going to get to discover some "normal" life after all that traveling!  Very cool to have had the opportunity to visit so many states.

Samantha - wow, 85 miles and a 20+ mph headwind for much of it.  I'd definitely call that perseverance!  Glad to hear you are allowing grace to seep in too .

Steve - I was reading quickly, and at first thought you had put fertilizer on your leg and no wonder it felt warm.  Hm...maybe I need more coffee this morning.  Re: Reaching out to explore, but being happy in your circumstances...like the balancing.  LOL on the "race" with the scooter!  Glad you are able to get back out there.

Just wanted to thank you guys for the compliments re: being the mother of the group.  Not sure I can live up to that, but I am truly honored that you would think of me that way.  I also very much appreciate your prayers and advice for my friend.  I've heard from her via e-mail and she is doing really well.

Church bike group on Saturday morning for almost 25 miles, and a shorter ride yesterday afternoon w/ Kerry.  On Saturday, we had a couple of new folks that normally ride with one of the local bike shops, including one ex Alabama football player.  Not sure what position he played, but don't think it was place kicker -- BIG guy!  Working packet pickup for a 5K on Friday, which will score me another free race entry.  Ha, I'm racking those up but not running much these days.  Think I'll try a bit more frequency on running this week, but keep all of them short, and see how I feel.  Started vitamins last week (was a little low on D), and had what I think was an allergic reaction.  Easing back into that to see what I can tolerate.   

2013-04-29 11:10 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Glad this group is still here --- since this mentor session is set to end in April, I wonder  how long before Ron pulls the plug and starts up another?

Good swim this AM. almost 3000 yards (2950 - so close!) and my 100 time is creeping toward 1:30 on a steady basis. Once I get there, I'm pushing for 1:20. That will take a while.

2013-04-29 11:24 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

So I told my wife that I haven't completely written off Tahoe yet.  She gave me that funny luck that our spouses give us sometimes.  Hrm 21 weeks to build from nothing to IM.  The lightspeed drive better have been fixed on the Malenium Falcon or this will be the shortest offensive in history... er day by day we will see how things feel. Ya Samantha may well beat my time if I end up doing it, but I will start the process this week, we see where it goes. 

I have not been as present this round as in previous groups and I appologise for that. It is harder to be on BT as much when you are not actually able to work out and work has been keeping me occupied.  I plan to start up another group and anyone who wants to find out if IM Tahoe is a go will have to stay tuned or forever wonder.....

I looked at a BT beginner plan and will have to do some significant tweaking to it.  I generally like to have 3 long bike/swim/run in the appropriate lengths, but may have only 1 or 2 big peaks prior to race day starting with no base.  Should be fun. Being the underdog is familiar teritory.

2013-04-29 11:32 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Oh I don't know if I have put this up in a while it is my training strategy once I get my base up a bit.  For folks who want to get faster at stuff like the bike look at how this fits into how you are training.  I won't be doing the intensity pieces of this for 3-4 weeks or will be doing them at a moderate increase not a LT effort.  

Run1: Recovery run Z2

Bike1: Recovery  Z2

(Swim 1000 optional)

T

R2:  WU/CD  10:00

MS Hill repeats

Hills 6x 2:00 (R: 2:00)

WU/CD 10:00

MS High RPM

3:00(100), 2:00(110), 1:00 (120)  RPM

W

S1:WU/CD 500

MS : Drill 500

MS: Continuous XX yards

Bike3: WU/CD 10:00

MS: Intervals

20x :30 LT/Recover 30 or

10x 1:00/1:00 or

5x 4:00/2:00 etc.

Th

R3: WU/CD 10:00

MS 800 Repeats  (7:30-6:30)

B:4 WU/CD 10:00

MS: Hill Repeats

20:00 of Hill repeats Z3-Z4

Fr

S2: WU/CD 500

6x4:00 @ LT (61-62) Rest :50

8x 50 @ LT (63-70)

Sa

R4: Recovery run Z2

B5: Steady Z2

Can play fielders choice

Su

R:5 Steady Z2 effort

S3: S1:WU/CD 500

5x100 LT (63-70)

2013-04-29 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Steve -- GO GET "EM!!!!!!!!
2013-04-29 1:32 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Your swim speeds are crazy fast....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52