BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-07-20 5:19 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
While waiting on the hubs to roll in from Kansas City (he went to the Royals game last night as a guest of George Brett--he was pretty excited), I finished my race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=249...

2013-07-20 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Nancy - nice work on the race! 3rd place is awesome. I can't seem to access your RR (I'm at work) so I'll read it later.

Suzy - I did solid food at outlaw this time round and had two bento boxes on my top tube. It was slightly ungainly but the nutrition worked better for me than last years liquid option. I also used high5 zero tablets in my water. I carried the tube of tablets in the rear pocket of my tri top, along with a couple of Vegemite sandwiches. I have a bag behind the saddle for tubes, co2 etc. last year I had a double bottle cage back there as well to allow for my liquid nutrition. I've seen containers for tubes/tools etc that will fit in a bottle cage that seem quite nifty.

Today was my first training session since outlaw. I went to the tri club swim session. I started out feeling really tired and sluggish (swimming through treacle) but actually picked up during the session and by the end was feeling really good and quite strong. I've got my eye on a September HIM, but I'm going to see how I feel over the next couple of weeks before I commit. The price goes up in the middle of August, so I'll probably decide just before then.
2013-07-21 5:21 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Master
South Alabama

Back from another rainy weekend at the beach. Was able to get a workout done this morning.....kind of a monster brick in prep for my next race which is an olympic distance. All paces/watts at what I hope will be my race pace.

30 min warm up build on bike then 6 X10 min interval @250-260 watts. After each interval transition quickly to 1 mile run @ 7min/mile pace.  I made it though 5 intervals making the numbers and may have been able to get close on the 6th but had doubts that I would be able to participate in planned family activities if I tried. I did the 6th at a moderate pace and was totally whipped in the end. Temps in the mid 80s with high humidity certainly didn't help.

Jason-any update on the neck?

Michael-how is the recovery coming from the bike crash? 

2013-07-21 5:59 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I am hopping on the trainer shortly to see how I tolerate it. Things are a little better. My wife says I am in a better mood so I must be improving
2013-07-21 7:14 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
Denton
Randy - I am improving quite nicely I must say. I think I buy some stock in 3M because that Tegaderm is wonderful. Most of my road rash already looks like its almost healed up. My knee is hurting a little bit and those wounds seem to be a little bit deeper. I did a nice 90 minute bike ride yesterday. I felt great! I have a sprint triathlon next Sunday and I am going into that one tired. I am going to train a lot this week and won't taper much. We will see how that is going to work. 
2013-07-21 11:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

Back from another rainy weekend at the beach. Was able to get a workout done this morning.....kind of a monster brick in prep for my next race which is an olympic distance. All paces/watts at what I hope will be my race pace.

30 min warm up build on bike then 6 X10 min interval @250-260 watts. After each interval transition quickly to 1 mile run @ 7min/mile pace.  I made it though 5 intervals making the numbers and may have been able to get close on the 6th but had doubts that I would be able to participate in planned family activities if I tried. I did the 6th at a moderate pace and was totally whipped in the end. Temps in the mid 80s with high humidity certainly didn't help.

Jason-any update on the neck?

Michael-how is the recovery coming from the bike crash? 

Randy, that's one of the scariest workouts I've ever heard of. It sounds exhausting.

2013-07-22 8:31 AM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Randy, that is quite the workout I'm not sure I could handle that. I had a good workout this weekend, felt like the first good one in a long time, the temperature has been over 100 F for the last week and a half so I've been trying to take it easy and not push so hard. On a brighter note my new to me bike is getting delivered today I can't wait to get home and get it put together.
2013-07-22 9:27 AM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by mrajki

Randy, that is quite the workout I'm not sure I could handle that. I had a good workout this weekend, felt like the first good one in a long time, the temperature has been over 100 F for the last week and a half so I've been trying to take it easy and not push so hard. On a brighter note my new to me bike is getting delivered today I can't wait to get home and get it put together.

Woohoo! New bike! Hope you have fun with it.

Those temperatures sound insane. We've been in the high 80s recently and it's exhausting. Who lives in hot places? How do you cope with training in the heat?
2013-07-22 9:51 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by mrajki Randy, that is quite the workout I'm not sure I could handle that. I had a good workout this weekend, felt like the first good one in a long time, the temperature has been over 100 F for the last week and a half so I've been trying to take it easy and not push so hard. On a brighter note my new to me bike is getting delivered today I can't wait to get home and get it put together.

New stuff is great...new bike even better. Post a picture when you get it? Details?

2013-07-22 11:26 AM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV

Originally posted by mrajki Randy, that is quite the workout I'm not sure I could handle that. I had a good workout this weekend, felt like the first good one in a long time, the temperature has been over 100 F for the last week and a half so I've been trying to take it easy and not push so hard. On a brighter note my new to me bike is getting delivered today I can't wait to get home and get it put together.

New stuff is great...new bike even better. Post a picture when you get it? Details?

2009 Cervelo P2 all Dura Ace, I'm so excited to get my first tri bike and 2 weeks before my 4 races in 4 weeks. I'll get some pictures up after I get it all put together.
2013-07-22 5:25 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

2009 Cervelo P2 all Dura Ace, I'm so excited to get my first tri bike and 2 weeks before my 4 races in 4 weeks. I'll get some pictures up after I get it all put together.

That is an awesome bike. You will be very happy.

I agree with you about Randy's workout. That sounds hard core.

I am doing better. Leaving in a few minutes to finally get the MRI so we can really see what is going on and how bad it is.

One thing I have had to accept is that my 100 mile/month running streak is going to come to an end. There is no way I can make it with my current mileage and physical condition. I guess I will just have to start another streak.

2013-07-22 6:43 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by chapfallen
Woohoo! New bike! Hope you have fun with it. Those temperatures sound insane. We've been in the high 80s recently and it's exhausting. Who lives in hot places? How do you cope with training in the heat?

last week I lived in a very hot humid climate with temps nearing 105F.  I had a long training day which included a 2 hour run at 3pm. I took a cooler full of ice to my start spot and ran loops to get some of it every 30'.  Threw it down my sports bra and carried it rubbing it on my wrists and neck.  Made it much more bearable, until it melted

2013-07-22 7:25 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-thought about your streak when you had to take a few days off. Quite a streak but remember the big picture. Better to start a new streak than to be out of commission for awhile.

Suzy-that is some serious heat. Good idea on the ice.  It does make a difference.  

2013-07-23 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Jason - good luck with the MRI. I hope it turns out to be something that's easy to fix.

Suzy - that's good thinking with the ice. I love ice when I'm training in the heat, but never manage to come up with anything that practical!

I've been motivated by the Le Tour to become a better hill climber on the bike. The good news is that there's no shortage of hills around where I live, the bad news is that I'm not a naturally strong cyclist, so it's going to take some work... I went out yesterday for my first ride since Outlaw. I was on the road bike as the tri bike is STILL in the bike shop. I did a local climb called Button's Bank. We have a little challenge within our club to time the climb from the junction at the bottom of the hill to the junction at the top. When I first rode the hill (about 2 years ago) I nearly didn't make it up. It's not huge, but it's a multi-stage climb with a couple of fairly steep sections. The first time I timed it I got up in about 7 minutes. Yesterday I did it in 6min dead, which is a PB by 17 seconds! So now I just have to improve on that.

Now that Outlaw is over my plan is to do more short, hard workouts on the bike. I've got a few ideas of turbo sessions to help build strength, and we've got some good hills to practice on, but I don't really know how to structure the training. Does anyone have any suggestions?
2013-07-23 9:13 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
PHEW off the radar for a few days! Good to be back.

Weekend was uneventful.

Nancy - NICE FINISH!

Michael glad to hear we are recovering nicely! Jason good luck! This group doesn't need a injured reserve list!

Rachel - remember what goes up, must come down! Suffer on the hills and enjoy the downside!

First strength training for me today in a very long time. I hope I can raise my arms later because it's time for Tuesday night tri series. ALthough the weather is lousy so it's 50/50 at this point whether I'll go or not. If not, maybe a quick 3 on the treadmill.

Have a good day all.
MBC <--- oh and the name is kinda obvious MTB is my first love
2013-07-23 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Woohoo! New bike! Hope you have fun with it.

Those temperatures sound insane. We've been in the high 80s recently and it's exhausting. Who lives in hot places? How do you cope with training in the heat?

I'm making a point of training in the heat here in SC, in preparation for IMLou in about a month. I've been doing all my runs at mid-day. I keep an insulated water bottle at my start, and then I do a loop that takes about 15'. Every lap, or so, I grab something to drink. Last week's run was tough, I had to do a 1:30 run, but with 10 minutes of Z4 at 1:10...those 10' were brutal in the heat. But, I figure every tough hot run I have just gets me ready for the race.

2013-07-24 7:50 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning! Hope everyone is doing well. Really busy week of work for me so have not been able to check in as much as I would like. Seems like we are in the Summer doldrums as the group has been a bit quiet lately.

Early morning swim done since I won't have time at lunch. Track intervals this evening.

2013-07-24 11:30 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I used to be religious about strength training - so much so that I didn't bike or swim. After I got hurt last summer I stopped because the dr said no weight bearing exercises. Well summer turned into fall, fall into winter etc and there are only so many hours in the day which quickly were filled with other things.

So YESTERDAY I took the first of 4 free sessions with my (former) trainer at the gym. OMG I AM SO SORE I know it was stupid to stop though. I can't wait until Friday when hopefully I can walk again normally. URGH

Happy humpday.
2013-07-24 1:24 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion

Can I tap into everyone's brain power once again?  I've decided I need some sort of rear mount device for my bike.  I think during long training days it would help me with hydration, but overall I really want it so that I can carry a tubular tire for IM.

Do you have any advice on which one might be best?  I've heard (and seen) flying bottles as a result of hitting bumps and would love to avoid it.

thanks!!!!

PS.  I did my longest swim today, 3700y.  Oh to be a faster swimmer.  I would have far fewer goggle indents on my face and wouldn't look like a prune coming out of the H20.

2013-07-24 5:49 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Suzy,

I have an X-Lab rear mount single bottle holder. It actually does not come with a bottle cage. You need to buy a cage separately. I bought a an "X-Lab P cage" that has never launched a bottle (so far-knock on wood).

On other fronts. My MRI was finally read and it, wait for it, is completely unchanged from an MRI done in 2008. I guess I should be happy that things have not gotten worse. I am going to have to assume that sleeping in a strange position in my car a couple weeks ago must have irritated a nerve root and this was the sequelae. The knowledge that things are structurally pretty OK gives me a little more reassurance about pushing things in training again.
2013-07-24 6:02 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

The knowledge that things are structurally pretty OK gives me a little more reassurance about pushing things in training again.

NICE!

2013-07-25 12:52 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Calgary, AB

Thought I would post this beauty.... we don't have nearly enough pics on this mentor group!

This is the first photo I have of me in full swim gear -- from the Vancouver Oly.  Gorgeous mountain backdrop.   Also note the complete lack of other swimmers photobombing me -- see, I planned ahead, yessirree I did.  Smile

Scott.

(Vancouver 2013 swim.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Vancouver 2013 swim.jpg (156KB - 16 downloads)
2013-07-25 5:27 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Champion
Originally posted by Hoos

Thought I would post this beauty.... we don't have nearly enough pics on this mentor group!

This is the first photo I have of me in full swim gear -- from the Vancouver Oly.  Gorgeous mountain backdrop.   Also note the complete lack of other swimmers photobombing me -- see, I planned ahead, yessirree I did.  Smile

Scott.

What beautiful scenery!  So much of Canada is breathtaking!

We're off to our house in Northern Wi for the rest of the week.  Scheduled highs on Saturday are 59F.  Brrrrrr!  I think it might be a little chilly in the lake!

2013-07-25 6:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Now that Outlaw is over my plan is to do more short, hard workouts on the bike. I've got a few ideas of turbo sessions to help build strength, and we've got some good hills to practice on, but I don't really know how to structure the training. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Rachel,

I am not an expert on bike training by any stretch of the imagination but I do a lot of one hour workouts, almost all on the trainer, and almost none of them easy. I will share some with you.......

Everything has 15 minutes warmup and 5-10 minutes cool down.

Right now the staple workout is 2 x 20 minutes at 90% of threshold power (uncomfortable/hard enough that I am counting down the last 5 minutes/somewhere between Olympic and sprint? distance effort) separated by 5 easy minutes.

15 x 1 minute at 110-20% of threshold (very hard, makes me really work to make the minute) on 1 minute super easy. You can modify this any way you want.... 10, 15, 20 intervals, depending on the time you have and the motivation. Sometimes the rest interval gets reduced to 30 seconds which doesn't allow for much recovery.

10 minutes at 90-100% threshold (sprint pace), 2-3 minutes easy, 20 minutes at 85% threshold (HIM pace), 2-3 minutes easy, 30 minutes at 75% threshold (IM pace). If you have 2-3 hours you can just repeat this set over and over. It gets harder every time you go through it.

If I were you, I would do your 6 minute hill over and over as a workout. 6 minutes up (going as hard as you can sustain with the goal of getting faster over time) with the trip back down (4 minutes? more or less) of soft pedaling to recover. Start out with 4 repetitions and work your way up to 10 or more. I bet this would be a "fun" workout as you push yourself to get faster and faster over time.

Like I said, I am no expert but what I have gleaned from my own training is that you want to make yourself physically uncomfortable over and over with the goal being that it makes you more powerful over time. Hope that helps.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-07-25 6:16 AM
2013-07-25 8:12 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Scott-great picture. Would love to get out that way someday.

Suzy-that weather forecast sounds really good right now. Hopefully it will be nice when I head up to Milwaukee in a couple of weeks.

Rachel-my opinion on the bike workouts is very similar to Jason as we have the same Coach so our training is similar. As I've moved from HIM training to olympic/sprint distance training my workouts have become shorter but with more intensity. Almost all of my workout intervals are for specific watts but certainly you could do intervals based on HR or RPE. For the HIM training my staple workout was longish intervals at about 10 watts above planned race watts. Eventually these built up to 5 X 30 minutes on about 5 min easy between intervals. These were really hard and i was weak in the knees when I finished.

Now with olympic races on the schedule my week will include a VO2 workout like Jason described with lots of hard short intervals. Tonight the main set is 15 X 90 seconds @ 315-320 watts on 90 seconds recovery. So, I'm not going all out but it will be hard to maintain that power through multiple 90 second efforts. The longer workouts now will typically have numerous 10-15 minute intervals at greater than race power on 3-5 minutes of rest. With other workouts there will be hard intervals for say 3 minutes on 2 minutes easy. From what I have seen with my bike training the theme seems to be to build workouts up to the point where I am doing a total amount of time longer than my projected bike split at greater power/harder effort than what I will do in the race. These workouts hurt and other than an occasional easy spin for active recovery each workout is tough.

I think to become a strong cyclist you have to learn to suffer on the bike. Pushing beyond what you think you are capable of. Every workout should not be an attempt to beat the last but there needs to be a main set that is taxing both mentally and physically. We certainly cannot do that all the time with our run training due to the impact and risk of injury but we recover much more quickly from hard bike workouts without the same risk of injury.

For hills building leg strength is important. I will sometimes do a LOW BRO workout....low cadence (below 70rpm) big ring only to help build strength and simulate hill work. You may want to look into www.trainerroad.com  Its a great resource with tons of different types of workouts you follow along on the computer. Its a subsription of $7/month but I believe there is a free trial. If I didn't have someone planning my workouts I would be doing alot of TrainerRoad workouts. Look at the site and see what it offers...its a great resource. 

Hope this helps.          

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88