General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2011-03-01 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3377761

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
Thx Jessica so much has changed!!! Gear, ki,t nutrition, race fees!!!!

2011-03-01 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3377793

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
QUOTE]

You sound like such a triathlete - I love it! Welcome, and thank you for joining us. Do you have an indoor trainer that you can use when you can't ride outside? You might wind up using it for mid-week rides early in the morning before daylight.

I have trainer and have logged over 500 miles on it since X-Mas.  I know I can use it as a fall back, but 2 hrs on it is my max.  Made the move to a tri bike from a roadie and really want to spend time outside as much as possible.
2011-03-01 11:20 PM
in reply to: #3052895

I see a lot of old postings.  Is anyone in here yet.  I have my first 1/2 in six months and I think the time is going to fly by.  I'm nuts, but I signed up for the "hardest triathlon on the planet" or so the saying goes...(SAVAGEMAN70

H E L P !!!
2011-03-02 12:06 AM
in reply to: #3378488

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
jonhawe - 2011-03-01 9:20 PM I see a lot of old postings.  Is anyone in here yet.  I have my first 1/2 in six months and I think the time is going to fly by.  I'm nuts, but I signed up for the "hardest triathlon on the planet" or so the saying goes...(SAVAGEMAN70

H E L P !!!

Old postings?  We are a pretty chatty group here.  Lots of postings every day.    Welcome...yes you are nuts, but aren't we all? 
2011-03-02 12:12 AM
in reply to: #3377808

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-03-01 12:20 PM Just wanted to say that I love seeing all the new people here. Thank you to all the veterans that have made this a thread that others want to join and be a part of!

thanks for getting us going and your expertise!!
2011-03-02 12:12 AM

Expert
Akrenik how did your running change-up go? Have you gotten a chance to try another long one? I'm scheduled for 18 this sunday...eeeee 

2011-03-02 12:13 AM
in reply to: #3377909

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
trigal38 - 2011-03-01 1:13 PM Busy day and busy thread. So many new posters every day - very cool! Welcome to March everyone.

Didn't feel very good this morning when I woke up and I made up my mind to skip my swim. I never skip a swim - I've been swimming 2 or 3 days a week for years. Today I thought, I'm just not going. I don't feel good, the kids don't want to go, I'm giving myself a break. Then I drank my morning coffee and went anyway Gotta love coffee! I did give myself a break though and just swam a long, steady state swim at a comfortable (and when I say comfortable I really mean slow) pace. Of course I felt much better after the swim. Sometimes the challenge is just to get out the door.

Sun is shining here, hoping for some warm days this month. I can't wrap my brain around the fact that it will likely be 50 degrees warmer on my race day. That will take some getting used to!

Way to get it done!!!  Those mental hurddles are the worst!!  Yay!
2011-03-02 12:16 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Dear week 5,
I LOVE you.  Thank you for giving me a much needed rest this week.  haha
2011-03-02 12:57 AM
in reply to: #3378076

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
Hi Joe, Yes I have an indoor trainer and have spent a bit of time on it lately!!!  I just bought a Trek Equinoz and am out every chance I get ;-)
2011-03-02 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hey, all. Haven't posted recently and while I plan on starting my HIM plan next month, the  'run up' has been slowed by a foot injury. Appears to be plantar faciitis, and I'm spending my days not running, icing my foot, and looking for ways to make this get better fast. I'm also thinking the Half mary I've been training the past 3 months for is out the window at this point. Race is 3/20, and I've not run a step in 11 days, and thinking it will be several more before I contemplate it. Still swimming & riding the trainer, though, but I'm very disappointed about all of this. Had felt great up until early last week when this suddenly flared up. Thinking it is best to get this straightened out now and be sure it doesn't derail my whole season.
2011-03-02 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose
Checking in again. My official HIM training starts this week but I'm modifying it quite a bit since I'm tapering for the Napa Marathon Sunday. I'm looking forward to getting it done. It's my first then I'm really looking to getting back into my regular routine. This taper is making me feel fat and lazy!
Johanne 

2011-03-02 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Good luck in Napa!  Looking forward to your race report.  I have always wanted to do the Napa race, but my running partner won't consider it as long as they disallow headphones.  Which HIM are you doing?
2011-03-02 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3379142

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
weissjaz - 2011-03-02 12:09 PM Good luck in Napa!  Looking forward to your race report.  I have always wanted to do the Napa race, but my running partner won't consider it as long as they disallow headphones.  Which HIM are you doing?

Not that I advocate breaking the rules, but most races disallow headphones, yet I still seem to see hundreds of people using them all the time.
2011-03-02 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3379142

User image

Expert
San Jose
weissjaz - 2011-03-02 9:09 AM Good luck in Napa!  Looking forward to your race report.  I have always wanted to do the Napa race, but my running partner won't consider it as long as they disallow headphones.  Which HIM are you doing?

Thanks! I've done a few Rock n Roll 1/2M and I still wear my headphones to just stay in my own little world! I won't wear them for Napa because of the rules but I hear that a lot of people wear them anyway.

My first HIM is Vineman 70.3 in July and my second is SOMA in Tempe in October. How about you?
Johanne 
2011-03-02 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3378686

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Mike_D - 2011-03-02 5:36 AM Hey, all. Haven't posted recently and while I plan on starting my HIM plan next month, the  'run up' has been slowed by a foot injury. Appears to be plantar faciitis, and I'm spending my days not running, icing my foot, and looking for ways to make this get better fast. I'm also thinking the Half mary I've been training the past 3 months for is out the window at this point. Race is 3/20, and I've not run a step in 11 days, and thinking it will be several more before I contemplate it. Still swimming & riding the trainer, though, but I'm very disappointed about all of this. Had felt great up until early last week when this suddenly flared up. Thinking it is best to get this straightened out now and be sure it doesn't derail my whole season.

Sounds like you are being smart about it.  Hang in there!
2011-03-02 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Napa seems to be ADAMANT about a DQ for headphones.  Most of the races I have done lately just caution against them. 

I will be at Vineman too!  My second HIM.  I live in AZ, but won't be doing SOMA since I'll be running the Long Beach Marathon in October.

2011-03-02 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3376854

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
JoePetto - 2011-03-01 6:55 AM

Hey All:

I've been lurking around this Board and now decided to man up.  I'm in week 6 (or 15) of the plan with my first 70.3 on June 12th - Eagleman in Maryland. 

This will be my second full season after completing 3 sprints, 2 Olys and a Half Mary in 2010. I've never been a great athlete and I have no natural talent other than a desire to see how far I can push myself.  That said, in the last year I have far exceeded my initial goals and am still in the process of determining what I can and should expect from this 41 yr old body.  I'm very lucky in that I have a great family situation (2 kids and tri newbie wife) and a job (which gets in the way at times, but allows me to pursue this tri thing).

In terms of training, I my very motivated and enjoy the effort and the solitude of training alone in the early hours of the day.  Living on the East Coast, this winter has been tricky to ride outside, but I've run consistently in temps of less than 15 degrees (yet I haven't taken my X-mas present out on the rode yet).  Very much looking forward to the spring.

With 5 weeks of training under my belt, I can't believe how much stronger I've gotten.  I find the plan itself to be failry easy to follow, but not always conducive to my schedule.  I've had to switch around workouts based on "life" but have tried to keep the themes and timing of the workouts consistent with the plan. 

My biggest challenge is (and will be) getting long rides in during the week.  With some tinkering, I should be able to accomodate most of the scheduling.  Any wisdom out there on how best to rearrange mid-week schedules?

Looking forward to the ride!

The trainer and spin class are your friends during the cold weather. Not the same as riding outside, and it is the next best thing!
2011-03-02 5:28 PM
in reply to: #3379776

User image

Expert
San Jose
weissjaz - 2011-03-02 1:15 PM Napa seems to be ADAMANT about a DQ for headphones.  Most of the races I have done lately just caution against them. 

I will be at Vineman too!  My second HIM.  I live in AZ, but won't be doing SOMA since I'll be running the Long Beach Marathon in October.

I'm pretty much a rule follower so if the RD says no headphones then no it is. Fun that you'll be doing Vineman too! Are you making a long weekend of it? I'm looking forward to it. It's going to force me to do some run training in the heat which isn't my strong point. 

Which was your first HIM? I decided to do SOMA to get familiar with the course and maybe, maybe I'll sign up for IMAZ in 2012. We'll see how this year goes and make sure I don't break myself. 
2011-03-03 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

As a "Beginner", I plan to use this, my first year of tri's, to learn the sport. I'm not going to go crazy in transitions to try to save 30 seconds, not going to read the calves of athletes ahead of me looking for age-groupers to pass, not going to sacrifice adequate nutrition on the bike to save a few hundred grams of weight, and certainly not going to fret if I have to walk part of the run portion of my scheduled events. All that will come in due time.

What I do want to do is LEARN. So, for those out there that are dong a HIM for the first time, but have comepted in other tri events, give me your top tip to keep the day safe and successful! From training to pre-race, wave start to finish line, what can I do to make my A and B scheduled events successful - two oly's and a HIM?

2011-03-03 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3374510

User image

Indianapolis
trigal38 - 2011-02-27 5:24 PM Do you guys move things around in the training plan to fit your schedule. I'm just looking a head a little and in a couple of weeks the long rides switch from Saturday to Friday. It is really not going to work for me to ride for 2 hours on a Friday unless I do it on the trainer. We just don't have enough daylight here for me to squeeze that in before of after my husband goes to work. I really hate changing things though because I figure there must be a reason. For all I know the weather won't cooperate and I'll be stuck on the trainer anyway!

I also think I'm a little type A about the schedule.........

I do this almost every week.  There is no way my work and life schedule will work with the plan exactly as lined out.  The important thing to me is to get all of the workouts in for the week- not necessarily in the right order. 
2011-03-03 12:00 PM

User image

Indianapolis
I had a couple of bad runs this week.  I usually run in the morning, but switched to two evenings this week to accommodate the 2x per day workout schedule. My legs felt like I was hauling tree trunks for the first mile or two of each run.  I had this horrible flash of "How am I going to run a 1/2 mary after riding 56 miles if I can barely run 5 after work." I am sure this will pass, but YUCK!

2011-03-03 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3381162

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake

miyutris - 2011-03-03 1:00 PM I had a couple of bad runs this week.  I usually run in the morning, but switched to two evenings this week to accommodate the 2x per day workout schedule. My legs felt like I was hauling tree trunks for the first mile or two of each run.  I had this horrible flash of "How am I going to run a 1/2 mary after riding 56 miles if I can barely run 5 after work." I am sure this will pass, but YUCK!

I find this anytime I change up my routine. I just finished week 12 (Swim Focus week) and started the week 11 (Run focus) week. Thought after a week without much running my legs would feel great! Nope, first run was like running up hill into the wind. But each day has been better. I think it is good to mix it up, so don't worry your legs will adjust!

2011-03-03 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3380932

User image

Bronze member
DV 1 - 2011-03-03 9:56 AM

As a "Beginner", I plan to use this, my first year of tri's, to learn the sport. I'm not going to go crazy in transitions to try to save 30 seconds, not going to read the calves of athletes ahead of me looking for age-groupers to pass, not going to sacrifice adequate nutrition on the bike to save a few hundred grams of weight, and certainly not going to fret if I have to walk part of the run portion of my scheduled events. All that will come in due time.

What I do want to do is LEARN. So, for those out there that are dong a HIM for the first time, but have comepted in other tri events, give me your top tip to keep the day safe and successful! From training to pre-race, wave start to finish line, what can I do to make my A and B scheduled events successful - two oly's and a HIM?

I guess I fit this category as I've done 10 triathlons but no 1/2 IM. I did a 1/2 IM aqua/bike last summer but it was 100 degrees with 95 % humidity and I never thought for one second that I wanted to run. In fact I'm still questioning the sanity of attempting it this year! Anyway, pacing is the most difficult thing for me. It's so hard to gauge how it can all come apart when you feel great on the swim or bike.

Examples: last year during the 1/2 IM bike leg I felt great. I paced the swim a little slow but was fine with that. I wanted to give the bike everything I could since I knew I wasn't going to run. Mile 45 I was thinking "Oh my gosh, I can't believe I'm doing this and I'm passing people!" Mile 51 the wheels started falling off. I got a terrible pain in my sit bone and my legs could barely push. I only had 5 miles to go but it was awful. I was SO HAPPY that I did not plan on running because I could barely walk right when I got off that bike!

I have done 2 Oly distance races so far. My first one I didn't know what to expect so I just took my time and finished the race. It was my favorite race ever. I ended up winning my age group even - of course I was the only one in my age group LOL Last year I did the exact same race and it was a mess. I got the snot beat out of me in the swim, kicked in the chest, hit in the head twice and on the second knock to the head the other swimmer smacked my goggles off my face. Now swimming is my best event so I thought I would just push it and try to make up for all the time lost trying to catch my breath after getting knocked around. BIG mistake. I was completely out of breath by the time I got to shore and never recovered for the whole race. The bike leg was straight into the wind for the entire first half - no time to catch your breath there and very difficult to monitor your RPE when you are into the wind in a race. And guess what, if you haven't caught your breath by the time you run - well your just screwed. I ended up finishing 4 min faster than the year before but it was a miserable race and my age group was tough so I finished 4th!

The best recommendation I have is to do some warm up races before your main events. Sprints may seem short but you can learn so very much, easily recover, and if you really try to go fast they are HARD. There are tons of little things that you can learn - like how your heart rate will spike when you exit the water and run through T1, how your legs feel like jello when you get off your bike but this will go away if you just press on (unless you have messed up your pacing), where you are comfortable in the mass swim start (I like the front, my friend likes the back), and of course nutrition. Yes, you can practice a lot of these things in training but it is still nothing like the rush of adrenaline and nervous energy you feel on race day.

Sheesh, guess I've rambled on long enough

2011-03-03 4:08 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Hello all!  I just spent the last few days reading all the posts.  What a great bunch of info! 

I started sprints last year on a whim, got hooked and now have a HIM in July (Racine).  I am using a hybrid program, Triathlete mag's simple IM Plan scaled down for a HIM.  The plan is great, tweaked for my weird work schedule but the swim training isn't that detailed, thus I am using the BT HIM swim portion.  Week 1 and loving it!  Keep all the good tips and insight coming!

2011-03-03 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran

My first HIM was last year in Austin at Longhorn.  Great race!!!!  Hot on the run, but I am used to that.  I'll be staying in the Napa area for about a weeek since I will be driving from Southern AZ and that takes about 14 hours.  Plus I have family not far from there who I hope will come cheer.

I'll be in Tempe in 6 weeks for the Marquee Oly.  Same lake and part of the same run/bike course as IM AZ.  I won't consider that race though.  The water is TOO darn cold in Nov.  I was freezing just watching a friend's swim in 2008.  If I ever consider an IM it will have to be somewhere warm like Florida.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150