BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-05-04 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3256125

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED
Karen, great job on those goals!! I'm not really setting goals right now. I've got my HIM in July. So my goals are to maintain my run, and up my swim and bike volume. I plan on winging it a little here. I'll build to a crazy amount of volume 2 weeks out from HIM and then taper.

Dale, HIM is next!! I'm really focussed on this race this year. I may do something in between, but haven't planned any yet. Marathon planning took sooooo much of my time recently I really don't want to think about it just yet.

2011-05-04 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3481238

User image

Veteran
libramom - 2011-05-04 9:02 AM

congratulations with meeting your goals, Karen!!! that's awesome!

it's gotten to the point where i've stopped logging my training and i know that i need to go back and do it again. i am still training, but alot going on here too....trying to get out of my very toxic job, switching schools for my oldest son, michael being is such severe pain that it hurts him to even walk sometimes and going to many doctors, etc, etc.  however, it's crazy times like this make me remember how lucky i am to be alive.  it will be 10 years this summer that i was diagnosed with cancer. and a long time being cancer free (a couple of surgeries in between, but so far, so good!!).  that's something to celebrate....along with a hopeful successful first triathlon on the same month of my diagnosis. there WILL be a light at the end of this nerve-wrecking tunnel.

good luck to everyone with races coming up very soon!!! and to henry this weekend. you are going to rock!!!

Don't forget your mom visiting   That's always fun.  Wow, it's hard to believe that 10 years has passed already!  I remember it like it was yesterday....

Now onto your first tri!!!!!!!

2011-05-05 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3482826

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
mcommend - 2011-05-04 10:43 PM

it's gotten to the point where i've stopped logging my training and i know that i need to go back and do it again. i am still training, but alot going on here too....trying to get out of my very toxic job, switching schools for my oldest son, michael being is such severe pain that it hurts him to even walk sometimes and going to many doctors, etc, etc.  however, it's crazy times like this make me remember how lucky i am to be alive.  it will be 10 years this summer that i was diagnosed with cancer. and a long time being cancer free (a couple of surgeries in between, but so far, so good!!).  that's something to celebrate....along with a hopeful successful first triathlon on the same month of my diagnosis. there WILL be a light at the end of this nerve-wrecking tunnel.

good luck to everyone with races coming up very soon!!! and to henry this weekend. you are going to rock!!!

Don't forget your mom visiting   That's always fun.  Wow, it's hard to believe that 10 years has passed already!  I remember it like it was yesterday....

and me breaking our front door window last night.  now, I am the born loser. when will this be over? thank goodness i have running, biking, and swimming or i would have gone into a deep depression by now.

and i want to publicly thank my husband for not getting upset at me for everything i've broken in the last few days. i love you. xoxox. now, can summer please come so i can race? it's freezing today- 40 degrees right now.

2011-05-05 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3483133

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
libramom - 2011-05-05 7:39 AM

mcommend - 2011-05-04 10:43 PM

and me breaking our front door window last night.  now, I am the born loser. when will this be over? thank goodness i have running, biking, and swimming or i would have gone into a deep depression by now.

and i want to publicly thank my husband for not getting upset at me for everything i've broken in the last few days. i love you. xoxox. now, can summer please come so i can race? it's freezing today- 40 degrees right now.

aaaaawww!!!
2011-05-05 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Thanks for all the good thoughts for my family, everyone! You folks are awesome. As of an hour ago my dad was ordering lunch & signing discharge papers! He's got a couple new stents in his heart *and* a pace maker now, but he says he feels better than he's felt in weeks (my mom suggests that by his appetite & walking pace she would estimate it more like a couple years!!) and he wants to "stop at Barnes & Noble" on their way home. :D Couldn't be happier! There's a chance that he may even join us for my race this weekend since he doesn't have travel restrictions & my mom doesn't want to leave him home alone, nor does she want to miss the race. Cute!

I've read that taper week can feel really strange, and family emergencies aside, it *does*! LOL Today I only swam for 25 minutes (1150m) and that was my last workout until the race on Saturday. Crossing my fingers that all my hard work will pay off & that the weather will be tollerable (although *beautiful* would be nice).

Erin (libramom), congrats on being cancer free!!!!! That's incredible. I'm pretty sure you can break a few doors here & there.

2011-05-05 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Also, I did meet all my goals for April. While I came up short on the time goal for running, I did make the distance!

May goals include my race this weekend, continuing to eat clean, starting a 2nd round of P90X which I've modified to include 1 run and 2 swims per week. Not planning on doing any more tri's this summer, but I hope to find a good 10k in the fall and I've got another 5k and the Warrior Dash coming up in June & July.

It's gonna feel strange to not be "tri-training" the rest of this season, but assuming I have as much fun on Saturday as I'm expecting to, I plan on picking at least 2 sprints for next season!

For all you experienced triathletes: the mentor in the Spring group I joined recommended a very brief run tomorrow. Something about how the neurons have a 24-48 hr memory & you want to keep them fresh (I haven't run since Monday). I was planning to just stretch, but he said that after years of taking the day before a race off completely, he now just does a very short jog and/or swim & it puts him in a better place for race day. Anyone want to weigh in on that?

Edited by QueerDrummer 2011-05-05 1:20 PM

2011-05-05 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3483936

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

soooo happy about your dad's success, henry!!! yay!!! i hope he has a nice, long relaxing time at barnes and nobles sans caffeine! and you will do great during your race- can't wait to hear the details. and you're doing the warrior?!!! ha! you get to wear horns? 

ps- you joined another mentor group? how could you!!!

Edited by libramom 2011-05-05 1:46 PM
2011-05-05 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3483936

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
QueerDrummer - 2011-05-05 1:13 PM

Also, I did meet all my goals for April. While I came up short on the time goal for running, I did make the distance!

May goals include my race this weekend, continuing to eat clean, starting a 2nd round of P90X which I've modified to include 1 run and 2 swims per week. Not planning on doing any more tri's this summer, but I hope to find a good 10k in the fall and I've got another 5k and the Warrior Dash coming up in June & July.

It's gonna feel strange to not be "tri-training" the rest of this season, but assuming I have as much fun on Saturday as I'm expecting to, I plan on picking at least 2 sprints for next season!

For all you experienced triathletes: the mentor in the Spring group I joined recommended a very brief run tomorrow. Something about how the neurons have a 24-48 hr memory & you want to keep them fresh (I haven't run since Monday). I was planning to just stretch, but he said that after years of taking the day before a race off completely, he now just does a very short jog and/or swim & it puts him in a better place for race day. Anyone want to weigh in on that?

I lose running fitness quicker than any of the other sports. If I take more than 2 days off in a row I feel slower. It's about staying loose!! It's a good idea to do a short easy run the day before the race to loosen up. I did the same thing the day before the marathon. Most plans recommend the same.
2011-05-05 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3484070

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Thanks Brian! Both plans I have been consulting (the plan I shared with you & the *very* beginner Joe Friel plan) take the day before completely off for rest & double checking equipment. Just goes to show that plans on paper can only tell you so much!  Chris is going over the bike today (and he's so awesome, he's bringing all his tools along for the ride!) and I have plenty of time for a short run tomorrow morning.

Erin: LOL Yeah, I joined one of the Spring groups cos I figured there's always more to learn. This is still my favorite group though!

Meulen - 2011-05-05 2:18 PM
QueerDrummer - 2011-05-05 1:13 PM

I lose running fitness quicker than any of the other sports. If I take more than 2 days off in a row I feel slower. It's about staying loose!! It's a good idea to do a short easy run the day before the race to loosen up. I did the same thing the day before the marathon. Most plans recommend the same.
2011-05-06 3:28 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
quiet round here today! Have a good weekend everyone and good luck racers!!
2011-05-07 6:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

Henry,

I am so glad and relieved to hear about your dad.  It is truly a miracle what doctors can do these days.  I hope he enjoys your race!  Good luck and hurry back to tell us about it!

2011-05-07 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Happy racing!
2011-05-07 9:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Henry - Congratulations!  I have heard through the grapevine that you had an excellent race!  Very cool!  Please give us some details.  I would love to know what the course was like.  Are you ready for another race?
2011-05-07 9:51 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Wow!! Today was rough for me. My swim was tough and Anne put a hurtin' on me during a run. Planning on really coming back with a masters class and a long Hume tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. I'm probably not 100% recovered.

Just want to say happy mothers day to all the moms here!
2011-05-07 9:52 PM

User image

Veteran
I finally got my new helmet and I am ready to ride again!  Tomorrow is going to be a beautiful day, but out of respect for Mother's Day I will resist the urgeLaughing  Hopefully Monday will be just as beautiful....
2011-05-07 10:05 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Awesome news from the grapevine! can't wait to hear gem Henry!

Congrats on the helmet Michael!

I've got swim class at 6:30 and will ride at 8:30. That gives me plenty of time to get to my brothers house at 1:30 and have dinner wth my mom.

2011-05-08 12:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
2011-05-08 12:30 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Great job Henry! I bet it feels great, don't it? Could you have done that a few years ago?
2011-05-08 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran

Is anyone else having trouble posting on this blog?  I have no problems at all, but when Erin logs in she does not have a "REPLY" button anywhere on her screen.  It's just simply disappeared.  So, for now, she's jut watching from the sidelines. 

On the bright side, I can type whatever I want.  She can get mad at me, but she can't do anything about it...

2011-05-09 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3488358

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
not having any problems here
2011-05-09 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
The weather has finally broken over here!  I am very excited to workout tonight.  I can't run yet so I will be very excited to go out on the bike.  It feels like one of those days where I could head out and jut keep on going.  It really sucks that work has to get in the way of life! 

2011-05-09 8:34 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
So.......Henry...............

what did you learn this weekend?
2011-05-09 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3488358

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
mcommend - 2011-05-08 9:44 PM

Is anyone else having trouble posting on this blog?  I have no problems at all, but when Erin logs in she does not have a "REPLY" button anywhere on her screen.  It's just simply disappeared.  So, for now, she's jut watching from the sidelines. 

On the bright side, I can type whatever I want.  She can get mad at me, but she can't do anything about it...

i can reply at work...haha! i just must need a new computer at home. hey michael, i'll take mac laptop. thanks!!

2011-05-09 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3488905

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
libramom - 2011-05-09 8:42 AM

i can reply at work...haha! i just must need a new computer at home. hey michael, i'll take mac laptop. thanks!!

think of the bike you could buy with the cash you save buying a pc!
2011-05-09 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3488991

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Meulen - 2011-05-09 10:17 AM
libramom - 2011-05-09 8:42 AM

think of the bike you could buy with the cash you save buying a pc!

yes, true. but why compromise when i could have it all?

HA!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 56