BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-07-25 9:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Happy Thursday!!

Question for the group - anybody use a stand up desk at work? I'm an accountant and spend 8 hours a day at my desk - until February when I spend up to 12 hours a day at my desk (PLUS 2 hours a day in the car). I rigged a prototype with copy paper and empty boxes to see how it goes. I totally have weak hips which hurts my running so I'm hoping over time this will help. Not to mention my posture is crappy so here's hoping!

this is from the tri I did on July 14th. You can't really tell but it's a pretty steep hill - it's called "minor hill" LOL

[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/MtnBikerChk/995696_10151671468379034_1674013430_n_zpsd2f578ca.jpg[/IMG]

and the 2nd pic is of me beforehand (in case you wanted to see my face) holding up my cousin's Fuji.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-07-25 9:53 AM

(995696_10151671468379034_1674013430_n.jpg)

(1002384_10151671466909034_928542426_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
995696_10151671468379034_1674013430_n.jpg (132KB - 13 downloads)
1002384_10151671466909034_928542426_n.jpg (165KB - 10 downloads)

2013-07-25 3:22 PM

User image

I've been reading along on the phone but haven't really had the time to reply.
Training is going ok although I'm worried if I've trained enough for my A race which is in less than 2 weeks time. With so much going on at work I didn't manage to follow the training plan properly and, despite having possibly trained over 90% of the days that were required, I would say that at least 50% of the workouts were shorter than what they should have been.
I know I can complete each leg separately and a bit more (longest bike ride was 30 miles twice -race is 23; longest swim 2600m but consistently around 2200+m twice a week, and on tuesday I ran 7 miles with no bother, although most of my training runs will have been 3, 4 or 5 milers), question is will I be able to do all 3 together?
Anyway, since we're posting photos, here is a couple from the last sprint.
and a wee video (this is my club's race)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kFrRHZewkg

Edited by tatous 2013-07-25 3:34 PM

(Swim start.jpg)

(Swim.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Swim start.jpg (50KB - 10 downloads)
Swim.jpg (39KB - 11 downloads)
2013-07-25 5:58 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Hey gang, it's been alomost three weeks since I last posted. A lot has occurred in that time. The absence started out being soley due to the pre- and post-holiday (July 4th) crazzyness we trauma people have to deal with. Next, a very close friend of mine had a stroke (he's younger than me!) that really rocked our world. Finally, I went back to Ohio for a family reunion and visiting with life-long friends. I'm finally back in Kansas just trying to adjust with regular life.

I couldn't swim during the trip home (no access to water) but I did get in a few good rides and I ran. Got in a sprint tri last Sunday and it felt good to compete again. I'm making my transition to marathon training now and will have less time for swim/bike although I'm not going to stop all together. I can't find any local Olympic distance races fo have to offer. r the rest of the season so I'll have to wait next year to try to redeem myself but I hope to get in another sprint tri or two this year. My plan has been to create a solid base for the sport and stay healthy, Maybe I can try a HIM next year if all goes well.

Does anyone have experience in the transition from tri's back to distance running? I'd love any advice you
2013-07-25 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Since we're doing the picture thing, here are couple recent ones:
The first is from Ironman Raleigh 70.3, and it shows me racing against my nemesis. He and I went back and forth a couple times, before I was able to pass him literally running into the chute at the end. It took everything I had, no kidding. I about dropped dead after that. The second is Nate and I at our last local sprint, it was rainy throughout the morning, but it was actually nice and cool, compared to last year's sun and heat.

Just finished up a pretty tough trainer ride, 1:30 with :25 of Z4 at the one hour mark. Time for some late dinner and rest!

Edited by WoodrowCall 2013-07-25 8:02 PM

(2.jpg)

(1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
2.jpg (60KB - 10 downloads)
1.jpg (63KB - 15 downloads)
2013-07-25 8:59 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

I love all the pictures. Its great to put faces with the names. I rarely seem to have a race picture that I like. For whatever reason I picture myself running/riding as smoothly and studly as Craig Alexander but the actual pictures seem to find the true me...old, awkward and struggling!

Had a really fun evening watching my son do his first triathlon. It was a local mini-sprint put on by the local tri club. Mostly beginners but there were 3-4 guys with really nice bikes, aero wheels, aero helmets and all the goodies. Distances were 350 yard swim, 7.5 mile bike and 1.3 mile run. Gil has just recently started swimming and rarely bikes but is a good runner. We watched the 50 racers start in Mobile Bay from the bluff overlooking the Bay. Someone quickly distanced themselves from the pack at the first buoy and I remarked to my wife that there was at least one real swimmer doing it. No idea where Gil was. Next thing I know he is coming out of the water in first place! What? He was riding my bike with his tennis shoes and I made him promise not to try and ride down on the aerobars as I didn't want him to wreck. He was first out of T1.....got passed by 4 guys on the nice bikes with the aero gear and was 5th coming into T2. Apparently he caught everyone on the run and finished first by about 30-40 seconds!  Exciting to see him do so well. Maybe next Summer I can get him to do a couple of local races with me. Looks like I have a relay partner down the road.

2013-07-26 3:19 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Originally posted by slornow

I love all the pictures. Its great to put faces with the names. I rarely seem to have a race picture that I like. For whatever reason I picture myself running/riding as smoothly and studly as Craig Alexander but the actual pictures seem to find the true me...old, awkward and struggling!

Had a really fun evening watching my son do his first triathlon. It was a local mini-sprint put on by the local tri club. Mostly beginners but there were 3-4 guys with really nice bikes, aero wheels, aero helmets and all the goodies. Distances were 350 yard swim, 7.5 mile bike and 1.3 mile run. Gil has just recently started swimming and rarely bikes but is a good runner. We watched the 50 racers start in Mobile Bay from the bluff overlooking the Bay. Someone quickly distanced themselves from the pack at the first buoy and I remarked to my wife that there was at least one real swimmer doing it. No idea where Gil was. Next thing I know he is coming out of the water in first place! What? He was riding my bike with his tennis shoes and I made him promise not to try and ride down on the aerobars as I didn't want him to wreck. He was first out of T1.....got passed by 4 guys on the nice bikes with the aero gear and was 5th coming into T2. Apparently he caught everyone on the run and finished first by about 30-40 seconds!  Exciting to see him do so well. Maybe next Summer I can get him to do a couple of local races with me. Looks like I have a relay partner down the road.

That is really cool about your son. I'm envious. I can get my younger son to ride his bike with me but my oldest is only interested in lifting weights. I shouldn't be too discouraged, however, because I was a big time lifter at one point and now look at what I do.

2013-07-26 5:38 PM
in reply to: dacuna01

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good to see BT back online. Who is racing this weekend?
2013-07-27 6:05 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I know this was addressed briefly earlier in the month, but I'm looking to replace the stock tires that came on my Felt B16. The tires on the bike currently are Vittoria Zaffiro slicks. Obviously looking to upgrade.

People in my tri club are all about the Gatorskins; however, I've heard some negative reviews. Heard good things about Continental 4000s as well as the Specialized Armadillo and the Bontrager Race Lite Hard Case.

My goals are not lofty, so I don't need the latest and greatest. Would just like a good rolling wheel that will allow my bike to handle well and not flat every other day.
2013-07-27 7:21 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by glfprncs

I know this was addressed briefly earlier in the month, but I'm looking to replace the stock tires that came on my Felt B16. The tires on the bike currently are Vittoria Zaffiro slicks. Obviously looking to upgrade.

People in my tri club are all about the Gatorskins; however, I've heard some negative reviews. Heard good things about Continental 4000s as well as the Specialized Armadillo and the Bontrager Race Lite Hard Case.

My goals are not lofty, so I don't need the latest and greatest. Would just like a good rolling wheel that will allow my bike to handle well and not flat every other day.

I hate to send people to another site, but on the front page of Slowtwitch there is a review of the current state of bike tires. Sort of a review of what is out there and their opinions on the different offerings.

Right now the Continental GP 4000S is the hottest tire in triathlon. Aero, low rolling resistance and relatively good puncture resistance. Gatorskins are reported to be indestructible but have a very high rolling resistance (CRR). If you are trying to go fast, the Gatorskins will require more effort to do so. Of course, you essentially never have to worry about getting a flat.

I run Vittoria Evo Open Corsa Slicks with latex tubes that I got on discount from ProBikeKit.com. They are supposed to be pretty flimsy/prone to puncture but they have been great for me--knock on wood. I really like them. They feel fast when I go from my training tires to these for racing.
2013-07-27 7:22 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randy,

So awesome about your son. He obviously has the engine to be really good at this sport. I suspect we will be hearing a lot more about Gil leading races in the next few years. Just a feeling.......
2013-07-27 8:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

That's got to be exciting to watch! Congrats to your son and his proud dad!

2013-07-27 10:37 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning all! Headed out to my usual biking spot this morning for a 2 hour ride. Weather looked crappy so turned around and went home....did workout in the garage. Heat and humidity were brutal this morning. At 5:30am it was 83 degrees with a "feels like" of 89. Unfortunately, no AC in the garage and despite 3 fans I flooded the floor under the trainer and soaked through several towels. Good to get that one done.

2013-07-27 2:16 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by glfprncs I know this was addressed briefly earlier in the month, but I'm looking to replace the stock tires that came on my Felt B16. The tires on the bike currently are Vittoria Zaffiro slicks. Obviously looking to upgrade. People in my tri club are all about the Gatorskins; however, I've heard some negative reviews. Heard good things about Continental 4000s as well as the Specialized Armadillo and the Bontrager Race Lite Hard Case. My goals are not lofty, so I don't need the latest and greatest. Would just like a good rolling wheel that will allow my bike to handle well and not flat every other day.

I'm a big Gatorskin fan.  I'll take a little less speed with a guarantee on not flatting.  If I had to change the tire, the little speed I would have gained by using something less substantial would vanish.  I wanted them on the Parlee, but couldn't get 650 tubulars so have the Conti Sprinters which I've been told hold up pretty well too.

2013-07-27 2:19 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Good morning all! Headed out to my usual biking spot this morning for a 2 hour ride. Weather looked crappy so turned around and went home....did workout in the garage. Heat and humidity were brutal this morning. At 5:30am it was 83 degrees with a "feels like" of 89. Unfortunately, no AC in the garage and despite 3 fans I flooded the floor under the trainer and soaked through several towels. Good to get that one done.

We had reverse experiences this weekend.  Yesterday I had a 6 hour ride in 55F, rain, wind and hail.  Today I woke up to 42F and drizzle so pulled the plug and headed downstairs to the CT. Thankfully my coach reduces the length of the ride when on the CT, 6 hours would have killed me.   I opened the windows, turned on the fans and was actually cold, barely sweat a drop.  What a difference a week makes where I was riding and running in 100F+.

Edited by SSMinnow 2013-07-27 2:20 PM
2013-07-27 3:50 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

I'm a big fan of the Continental 4000S. The S is important as it gets much better reviews than the Continental 4000. I use it for both training and racing. I also like the Vittorio performance tires. I do most of my training on rollers and you can feel the difference in the rolling resistance of the "faster" tires.  Using a low rolling resistance tire like the Gatorskin can cost you a good bit of time at the same effort level. 

Thanks for all the kind words about my son's race. What really excites me is that he has caught on to swimming so quickly ...and seems to enjoy it. No lessons, swim team, or any instruction yet he has good balance in the water and breathes bilaterally......yeah the exact kind of swimmer that I envy/hate! I told him this morning how lucky he is that it comes easy for him. He probably won't get into a pool or ride a bike for the next 9 months as he returns to school and XC practice but hopefully next Summer he will be interested in doing some races. I did get some satisfaction after he was complaining about his butt being sore after the 7.5 mile ride in the race   

Suzy-hang on to that cool weather for a couple more weeks!

2013-07-27 4:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Hey everybody, just got done with a 5 1/2 hour trainer ride, followed by a 1 hour run. Today really wrecked me; I'm feeling pretty beat up from this week, but I'm so close to being done with my peak training, I'm trying to push through a little longer. I get to relax the rest of today, then a 2:45 run tomorrow that is sure to feel great! I don't even want to look at my bike or running shoes right now!!!

2013-07-27 5:07 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by WoodrowCall Hey everybody, just got done with a 5 1/2 hour trainer ride, followed by a 1 hour run. Today really wrecked me; I'm feeling pretty beat up from this week, but I'm so close to being done with my peak training, I'm trying to push through a little longer. I get to relax the rest of today, then a 2:45 run tomorrow that is sure to feel great! I don't even want to look at my bike or running shoes right now!!!

Good work Jamie-elevate those legs. I've heard that laying on the floor with your legs straight up a wall can help with recovery. Might be worth a shot. Get some protein too! You are almost there.

2013-07-27 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Randy - congrats on your son's achievement. It's great watching someone you care about succeed like that.

On the subject of tyres, I run gatorskins on my training wheels. The fact that they have more rolling resistance is actually a positive for me. I like that when I put my race wheels on it gets easier/faster. I have schwalbe ultremo ZX on my race wheels. They're a lot less robust, but much quicker.

I went out on the bike today with my husband and we ran into another couple of guys from the tri club who joined us for a while. It was nice having cycling company for once. We really hit the hills and I had to push hard on the way back to get home in time for work, but I'm learning that I can push a lot harder on the hills than I thought I could. Just have to get used to hurting...
2013-07-28 7:04 AM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good morning! Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. Heading out for my longish run.....more heat and humidity. Well, better now than later. This is fun right?
2013-07-28 10:08 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Ironman Lake Placid is today and while I don't know anyone personally competing I'm still glued to the updates and watching people from CT and of course the pros. Wish I was there to watch! edited to add - Andy Potts in the lead with 4:20:33 through 86 mile bike! Amazing.

Did a 50 mile ride in VT yesterday. EEK 4,000' of elevation gain and I'm toast Probably go for a run today and see if I can stand up to 6 miles.

Congrats to your son, Randy. That's so exciting to see!

Have a good rest of the weekend all.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-07-28 10:09 AM
2013-07-28 11:30 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
First real run since I hurt myself and it went perfect. I was afraid I would feel bad but I felt great. I went farther and ran faster than I was supposed to but I couldn't help myself. Of course it didn't hurt that it was 60 degrees, overcast, light breeze. Weather made for running. Of course some sort of front blew in during my run and it was really windy and even a bit cold by the time I was done.

All in all, a great return to running

2013-07-28 1:49 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Calgary, AB

Had a 53km ride yesterday evening.  (Randee -- I only had 1,500' of elevation gain -- you have my sympathies!)

Trying to ramp up the bike endurance as my next event is a granfondo in Banff National Park.  Not sure how to train on outrunning a grizzly bear -- tips welcome Smile

My wife did an open-water swim in the Rockies yesterday morning.  I was on kid / cowbell duty!

Scott.

2013-07-28 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster

First real run since I hurt myself and it went perfect. I was afraid I would feel bad but I felt great. I went farther and ran faster than I was supposed to but I couldn't help myself. Of course it didn't hurt that it was 60 degrees, overcast, light breeze. Weather made for running. Of course some sort of front blew in during my run and it was really windy and even a bit cold by the time I was done.

Glad to hear your first run back went well! I'd be nervous too!

Just got finished with a 2:45 long run...and I am feeling beaten up right now. My HR was fine, but I can tell my legs are just trashed right now. Luckily, nothing is really wrong, as in injury-wise, so I just need to relax today and tomorrow, then it's one more peak week before tapering starts for Louisville. I just need to make one more big push to get there...
2013-07-28 5:22 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Originally posted by wannabefaster

Glad to hear your first run back went well! I'd be nervous too!

Just got finished with a 2:45 long run...and I am feeling beaten up right now. My HR was fine, but I can tell my legs are just trashed right now. Luckily, nothing is really wrong, as in injury-wise, so I just need to relax today and tomorrow, then it's one more peak week before tapering starts for Louisville. I just need to make one more big push to get there...

Jamie,

You are right where you need to be. In my last couple big weeks last year I felt as fragile as a newborn fawn. I felt like I was so close to falling apart but held it together and after a nice taper, everything got better. It sounds like you are in the same spot. Stick to the plan and you will be right on target for a great race.
2013-07-28 5:25 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
For anyone who is interested, you can watch the IM Lake Placid finish line right now. It is such a cool thing to watch people crossing the finish line. So much joy and just great feelings all around.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/detail.aspx?race=lakeplac...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88