BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-04-21 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1351060

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS
amy mutz - 2008-04-21 7:37 AM
crea0029 - 2008-04-20 9:40 PM

Dee, are you post padding again?    Nice to see you around again...I take it werk has been bad.

Well I had a very unproductive weekend and now have a couple of papers to get done early this week.  Hope everyone had a good weekend... looks like everyone was busy.  I got to lay out in the sun for a bit so I don't burn so bad when I start doing really long training segments outside.  I have less than 3 months till the HIM...boy that makes me scared!  What is everyone's next race? 

Me and Hubby do the Louisville Derby Mini Marry this Sat... This will be my first. Good-luck with the papers. Didn't the sun feel great! Amy IN

I have my VERY first tri this weekend! it is 500m 14+mile bike ride and a little over 3 mile hilly run! I am very ready....I have ran and biked the course twice now....and you know where I will be nervous...that is the swim portion! but it is in a pool and I will just plug along! my times in the pool will suck, but I will just have to make up for it on the bike and run portions!

2008-04-21 11:01 AM
in reply to: #1349640

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

abud7373 - 2008-04-20 8:12 AM Hi All Lets see, as for earthquakes, I have lived in Ca for 12 years and I have never felt an earthquake like that. I think 3.0 was the biggest. (knocking on wood.) I am glad everyone is ok. Pam good luck with your boyfriend. This is a fun time. Julie, I am so excited for your brother. The pictures are great and he did awesome. I also love the tattoo. I would have loved to be in the parlor with your entire family. I cannot wait to see you in two weeks. When are you coming down to San Diego? The local tri club has a beginner open water swim on Thursday evening, and I think they are going over the swim course. Let me know if you will be here. Amy, I am glad your sister is well. Your hair cut looks great. And what a wonderful cause. I seem to be homebound today with a sick kiddo. No fun at all. Emerson, Congrats on being a grandpa. That will be one spoiled baby! The best thing about being grandparents, you can send the baby home I hope you guys have a smooth move back to Ohio. Tell Peggy hi for us. Eric, great job motivating yourself after a two hour nap. Tell your wife congrats on the 5k. She did great. Greg, Great job swimming. I have also recently been doing the Total Immersion drills. They have definitely helped. I cannot even imagine riding my bike 150 miles, yikes! Dee, rest, woman, rest. Great job with your bike and run yesterday. I hope you are taking today off from 'werk' I know I have been absentee lately. You all know how life gets in the way. I have been keeping up with my workouts but my post padding has taken a hit. I hope you all are well.

Hey Amy...I am thinking I will drive in on Thursday...but may come Wednesday now....will be in touch! I would love to do the OWS! look forward to hanging with you! see you soon!

2008-04-21 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1351387

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-21 8:53 AM
etknowles - 2008-04-20 9:35 PM
crea0029 - 2008-04-20 7:40 PM

What is everyone's next race? 

Big Sur International Marathon next Sunday.... I hope to see Julie there... Hint, Hint, Hint...

I am trying to change my calendar around....I have an event that day, but looking for someone to try and fill in for me! I will do all I can to be there! what time does it start...and when will you be finished!? I may be able to swing being there for the end!, but depends on the start time! FINGERS AND TOES CROSSED... that I will make it!!!!!

I will be there hanging around on Saturday afternoon... If you cannot make Sunday, maybe we can cross paths on Saturday??? Emerson

2008-04-21 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1351442

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
etknowles - 2008-04-21 9:04 AM
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-21 8:53 AM
etknowles - 2008-04-20 9:35 PM
crea0029 - 2008-04-20 7:40 PM

What is everyone's next race? 

Big Sur International Marathon next Sunday.... I hope to see Julie there... Hint, Hint, Hint...

I am trying to change my calendar around....I have an event that day, but looking for someone to try and fill in for me! I will do all I can to be there! what time does it start...and when will you be finished!? I may be able to swing being there for the end!, but depends on the start time! FINGERS AND TOES CROSSED... that I will make it!!!!!

I will be there hanging around on Saturday afternoon... If you cannot make Sunday, maybe we can cross paths on Saturday??? Emerson

that may work, but it will be after my tri....so, I can not guarantee that I will have much energy left!!!! I will be in touch! hate that this event crept up....I was thinking I would be free that day! I will do all in my power to get there!

2008-04-21 6:25 PM
in reply to: #1088860

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

I thought I would share a letter that was written by the IRONMAN announcer Mike Reilly...he sent this to my daughter and told her that this will more then likely be placed on the IM web page...and also will more then likely be used in a book that he is writing!....OMG! once again he made me cry!!!

IRONMAN ARIZONA - A Special Story. April 21, 2008

With almost 80 Ironmans on the microphone I have experienced a few pretty inspiring stories. They are all etched in my mind for life and some have affected me to become a better person. A person to not always complain about the small details of life that seem to get in our way of happiness and success.

Ironman Arizona last weekend reinforced that life lesson. It had a competitor entered in the race that was there for a very special reason and person. This story is one of those that will be with me forever. Mike Griffin from Lucas, Texas was like all the other athletes having to go thru the trials and tribulations of preparing for an Ironman. But Mike had a purpose in mind much different than that of the average Triathlete. With every breath he took while training putting in the many miles to get to the finish line he thought of nothing but his late wife Dorothy.

Dorothy was a Triathlete that lost her life at Ironman Florida attempting her first this past November. Losing a member of the Ironman family affects us all and to be witness to her family at the event obviously devastated was gut wrenching. Mike was actually on the course competing and the Ironman crew went out and found him so he could be at the hospital with her.

So Mike’s entire family was at Ironman Arizona supporting him throughout the week and race day. I have the pleasure of working with his niece at Active.com Stephanie Snaman. She introduced me to her family during the week and watching them on race day was a pure joy. They are a family full of passion and proud memories of Dorothy. Their support of Mike had to be in part a closing of their experience of losing her.

None of us can probably imagine what was going thru Mike’s mind throughout the 140.6 mile Ironman day. The roller coaster of emotions he may have experienced are now etched in his mind. But his solace was the fact that he and Dorothy shared the same goal, to be an Ironman. And knowing he had a ton of love waiting for him at the finish line had to be a huge comfort.

An Ironman 17 hour day is long, to not exactly know when someone you want to tell the world about is going to finish is stressful. Stressful because it haunts me all day that if I miss that special person I would be devastated. Yes in part for me but most of all for the family. I went into the VIP tent not long before Mike finished and talked to the family. The excitement of him getting close even made his Mom giddy when I talked with her. I also talked to Stephanie but she kind of just looked thru me. I believe her and the families’ pure joy of what was about to happen was overwhelming.

And here he comes toward his first Ironman finish just after 14 hours. The smile on his face was as wide as a house, his eyes were filled with nothing but love and passion and when I had the honor of calling him an Ironman the family went crazy with joy. At that moment I thought of a woman I had never even met and how she must be so proud of Mike and her family. She was with him every step of the way and her smile when he finished had to light up the heavens.

The next morning at the awards ceremony it was very evident to me that Dorothy was present. I was reading the top 5 results in the Women’s 50 – 54 age group bringing them on stage. As I got to third place I read the name Mike Griffin. It seemed so natural to me and I didn’t even realize I just read a man’s name in the women’s category. I even called it out twice because I knew Mike was there. As I saw him looking puzzled approaching the stage it hit me. Sure his name was placed in the women’s category by mistake but I hardly ever remember that happening. Usually I would notice something like this and not announce an incorrect name. Dorothy some how made sure everyone attending the awards heard his name especially her family.

I told Mike sorry it was a mistake you can go back to your table. But now I believe it was meant to happen and not a mistake!

So to Mike Griffin from Lucas, Texas I’ll put it in writing and as I do you know Dorothy is cheering it from above "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN".

Mike Reilly

ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW! WHAT A GUY! he made my family feel like rock stars at this event! we were treated so special and were given so many great items...ironman backpacks, shirts, visors, socks, VIP badges and VIP bracelets...which got us anywhere we wanted to be on the course! HE WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN FOR MAKING THIS THE MOST MEMORABLE TRIP OUR FAMILY HAS BEEN ON IN SOME TIME! THANKS MIKE REILLY - YOU ARE A SUPER STAR TO US!!!!!

2008-04-21 7:20 PM
in reply to: #1350466

User image

Champion
Taser-World
crea0029 - 2008-04-20 10:40 PM

Dee, are you post padding again? Nice to see you around again...I take it werk has been bad.

Well I had a very unproductive weekend and now have a couple of papers to get done early this week. Hope everyone had a good weekend... looks like everyone was busy. I got to lay out in the sun for a bit so I don't burn so bad when I start doing really long training segments outside. I have less than 3 months till the HIM...boy that makes me scared! What is everyone's next race?

No, not intentionally post padding. I'm so tired that if I don't see the info quoted directly above where I'm typing, I don't remember what I wanted to say.

And that was written on SUNDAY. It's even worse today. (I really need to get off the computer and get back to work. This is ridiculous....)

BUT the end is in sight. I just have to keep this up until the end of May....

Good luck with those papers!

2008-04-21 7:25 PM
in reply to: #1351070

User image

Champion
Taser-World
amy mutz - 2008-04-21 10:40 AM

Thanks a bunch Dee...it feels so much different, can't hardly get a ponytail anymore...now my goal is to grow it another two years and then cut it again....

Do you ever get to see the sun Dee? I still think you need a vacation...doesn't seem you get any down time.

Have a great week and kick butt at work.
Amy IN

It looks great! I was going to ask if you were going to grow it back and then have it cut again. Good for you!

Nope, I don't get to see much of the sun. And no, I'm not a vampire! (Despite my new avatar. LOL) Actually my vitamin D levels are really low. My doctor even gave me a prescription vitamin D pill.

My surgery was about 2 1/2 years ago, but I've already moved from "normal" bone density into osteopenia. AND I eat a huge amount of cheese, milk and dairy products. *sigh*

(I'm pretty sure I broke my finger last month when I crashed into the handlebars. Yes, of my stationary bike.... Bleh!)

2008-04-21 7:26 PM
in reply to: #1351089

User image

Champion
Taser-World
amy mutz - 2008-04-21 10:46 AM

Well I hope all of us have a wonderful, safe and minimal stress week... Thanks to everyone who always supports me in everything, and is always there to give me a boost, you may not know the time but there has been a few times I just wanted to give up and I get a inspire or read you are going through a similar down time and I get back on the horse.

Oh, we have had 15 earthquakes in 5 days, last night we were awoke to a 4.5 at 12:40am...
What the heck is going on?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a tumbs up week!
Amy IN

Better to get back on the horse, than to make me take out my cattle prod!

(cattle prod.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
cattle prod.jpg (83KB - 19 downloads)
2008-04-21 7:27 PM
in reply to: #1351403

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-21 11:56 AM

I have my VERY first tri this weekend! it is 500m 14+mile bike ride and a little over 3 mile hilly run! I am very ready....I have ran and biked the course twice now....and you know where I will be nervous...that is the swim portion! but it is in a pool and I will just plug along! my times in the pool will suck, but I will just have to make up for it on the bike and run portions!

GOOD LUCK!

We KNOW you can do it! (Take pictures too!)
2008-04-21 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1353094

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

D001 - 2008-04-21 5:25 PM
amy mutz - 2008-04-21 10:40 AM Thanks a bunch Dee...it feels so much different, can't hardly get a ponytail anymore...now my goal is to grow it another two years and then cut it again.... Do you ever get to see the sun Dee? I still think you need a vacation...doesn't seem you get any down time. Have a great week and kick butt at work. Amy IN
It looks great! I was going to ask if you were going to grow it back and then have it cut again. Good for you! Nope, I don't get to see much of the sun. And no, I'm not a vampire! (Despite my new avatar. LOL) Actually my vitamin D levels are really low. My doctor even gave me a prescription vitamin D pill. My surgery was about 2 1/2 years ago, but I've already moved from "normal" bone density into osteopenia. AND I eat a huge amount of cheese, milk and dairy products. *sigh* (I'm pretty sure I broke my finger last month when I crashed into the handlebars. Yes, of my stationary bike.... Bleh!)

do I want to ask how you did this? dang...the number one thing I tell all beginner racers is whatever you do.....do not pass up yourself! and it sounds like you were trying to do this! glad you are ok!! did you have it x-rayed? is this the so called sausage finger??? girl you take care and I will be counting the days for you! and by no means -  do not werk too hard!!!!

2008-04-21 7:37 PM
in reply to: #1353098

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
D001 - 2008-04-21 5:27 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-21 11:56 AM I have my VERY first tri this weekend! it is 500m 14+mile bike ride and a little over 3 mile hilly run! I am very ready....I have ran and biked the course twice now....and you know where I will be nervous...that is the swim portion! but it is in a pool and I will just plug along! my times in the pool will suck, but I will just have to make up for it on the bike and run portions!

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks Dee...I will let the DH take the pics...anything for you dear...do not want to have you get mad at me and whip out that prod! durn that looks rather deadly....please don't taser me dude!

We KNOW you can do it! (Take pictures too!)

2008-04-21 7:43 PM
in reply to: #1353122

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-21 8:34 PM
do I want to ask how you did this? dang...the number one thing I tell all beginner racers is whatever you do.....do not pass up yourself! and it sounds like you were trying to do this! glad you are ok!! did you have it x-rayed? is this the so called sausage finger??? girl you take care and I will be counting the days for you! and by no means - do not werk too hard!!!!

I was getting onto the stationary bike. Since it IS stationary, it was NOT moving. But somehow, I slipped anyway.... and went crashing into the handlebars.

Fortunately, I caught myself with my hand --- just before my face crashed into the handlebars. Unfortunately, I slammed my hand against the bars.... Put it this way -> The dog learned some new curse words.

Yes, this is the sausage finger.... The swelling has gone down now, but the finger is, um... crooked. And it doesn't bend right.... Which is why I'm thinking (now) that I probably broke it.

So now, I didn't have it x-rayed. And I figure that going now for an x-ray.... well, what will they do? Rebreak it and set it??? Owww!

I keep hoping that if I ignore it long enough, it will get better.

It does work that way, doesn't it? LOL
2008-04-21 7:44 PM
in reply to: #1353128

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-21 8:37 PM
Thanks Dee...I will let the DH take the pics...anything for you dear...do not want to have you get mad at me and whip out that prod! durn that looks rather deadly....please don't taser me dude!

I just took out the cattle prod and waved it at my current Challenge team. We're in 8th place.... Out of eight teams. Bleh!

2008-04-21 8:25 PM
in reply to: #1353096

User image

Extreme Veteran
D001 - 2008-04-21 7:26 PM

amy mutz - 2008-04-21 10:46 AM

Well I hope all of us have a wonderful, safe and minimal stress week... Thanks to everyone who always supports me in everything, and is always there to give me a boost, you may not know the time but there has been a few times I just wanted to give up and I get a inspire or read you are going through a similar down time and I get back on the horse.

Oh, we have had 15 earthquakes in 5 days, last night we were awoke to a 4.5 at 12:40am...
What the heck is going on?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a tumbs up week!
Amy IN

Better to get back on the horse, than to make me take out my cattle prod!

Your cracking me up here... I love it...
I had better keep my butt in gear, I think you could hurt someone with that thing.....ha
2008-04-21 8:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Julie - great to have you back girl!!!!! Thanks for the great article, fabulous darling!

I talk about this group constantly to my family and friends, I think they get sick of hearing about you, I'm always saying my BT group this, or my BT friends that, or I'm going to meet some of them one day, and I was proud to say my friend Julie had a brother in the IMAZ and told them the entire story of Dorothy... Well let's just say you all just add the right amount of flavor and spice to my life. Thanks!!!!!

Good Night, let's see if I get to shake, rattle and row again tonight....hmmmm

Later Tri Family.

Amy IN
2008-04-21 8:37 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Amy, I think my friends and family are getting sick of hearing about you guys too... I'm the same way.  I talk about my BT family to everyone all the time.  Guess that truly shows where things stand with me   Off to work on those papers

2008-04-22 6:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Everyone enjoy your day and remember to do something for yourself like a swim-bike or run...
Good Tuesday!
Amy IN
2008-04-22 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
I've been getting harassed for links/copies of last week's news story.  It never was posted on their website but you can just google-eric morrison, paramedic, charlotte--for all kinds of fun tidbits.  I'm pretty famous 
2008-04-22 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1351060

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
amy mutz - 2008-04-21 9:37 AM

Dee, are you post padding again?    Nice to see you around again...I take it werk has been bad.

Well I had a very unproductive weekend and now have a couple of papers to get done early this week.  Hope everyone had a good weekend... looks like everyone was busy.  I got to lay out in the sun for a bit so I don't burn so bad when I start doing really long training segments outside.  I have less than 3 months till the HIM...boy that makes me scared!  What is everyone's next race? 

Me and Hubby do the Louisville Derby Mini Marry this Sat... This will be my first. Good-luck with the papers. Didn't the sun feel great! Amy IN

Good luck this weekend. I'm sure you'll both do great!

2008-04-22 9:01 AM
in reply to: #1351403

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-21 10:56 AM
amy mutz - 2008-04-21 7:37 AM

It's about time that we're finally going to be able to crown Julie an official triathlete   I'm sure you'll do great this weekend!

2008-04-23 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good morning Tri group, hope we all have a great day!!!

Julie - get well soon wishes to you, you don't feel good I don't feel good.

Pam - we have faith that you will look expert on your dives.

Amy - hope the little one is feeling better, way to keep up the stroller runs.

Eric - same question are you close to Mooresville???? You might be the first one I meet.

Dee - another day another dollar

Greg - are thoughts are with you and family through this tough week.

Emerson - looks like your doing everything right for the race this weekend.

Mike - still getting those workouts in, good job!

I will be lettering a race trailer this am, then hope to get a swim this afternoon, and then that will be my training for this week, maybe a long walk the dog on Thursday and then nothing Friday, so I have my legs for Sat mini.

Check in with everyone later.

Amy IN

2008-04-23 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

Hey all,

Just taking a minute to check in. Stef was supposed to be out all week, but things changed. One of her blood levels dealing with the pancreas is through the roof - 5x above normal. So they weren't going to start the new med, then they were going to start it, then yesterday after 6 hrs at MDA they decided to not start it after all. Been a roller coaster. Right now, there is no explanation of why her level skyrocketed like it did. Strange thing is she should be experiencing pancreatic pain and she's not (thankfully but strange). They are guessing that the med she's been on for 2 weeks is causing the reaction but since it's experimental, there isn't much data to go on.

We also had a blow that one of our friends and neighbors died of complications from lung cancer. She was one of the families we honored at the triathlon last year. It wasn't unexpected - she's been going downhill. They had to rush her to the ER early Monday morning and she died that afternoon. She was 44 and has a 7th and 5th grader - both girls. It has brought up a lot of questions with our kids (if mom dies, will she die at home, etc). Another man we supported in the triathlon is in hospice right now and will pass at any moment. We are good friends with his sister. So looks like 2 funerals that are hitting way too close to our situation. 

I can't wait to read race reports from the upcoming weekend! I hope you are all doing well.

Greg

p.s. If you care to follow Stephanie's blog, she has it on carepages.com. When you register with carepages, go to the carepage pray4stef.  

2008-04-23 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1356441

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
mman - 2008-04-23 8:47 AM

Hey all,

Just taking a minute to check in. Stef was supposed to be out all week, but things changed. One of her blood levels dealing with the pancreas is through the roof - 5x above normal. So they weren't going to start the new med, then they were going to start it, then yesterday after 6 hrs at MDA they decided to not start it after all. Been a roller coaster. Right now, there is no explanation of why her level skyrocketed like it did. Strange thing is she should be experiencing pancreatic pain and she's not (thankfully but strange). They are guessing that the med she's been on for 2 weeks is causing the reaction but since it's experimental, there isn't much data to go on.

We also had a blow that one of our friends and neighbors died of complications from lung cancer. She was one of the families we honored at the triathlon last year. It wasn't unexpected - she's been going downhill. They had to rush her to the ER early Monday morning and she died that afternoon. She was 44 and has a 7th and 5th grader - both girls. It has brought up a lot of questions with our kids (if mom dies, will she die at home, etc). Another man we supported in the triathlon is in hospice right now and will pass at any moment. We are good friends with his sister. So looks like 2 funerals that are hitting way too close to our situation.

I can't wait to read race reports from the upcoming weekend! I hope you are all doing well.

Greg

p.s. If you care to follow Stephanie's blog, she has it on carepages.com. When you register with carepages, go to the carepage pray4stef.

Hey Greg,

Sorry to hear about your loss and the issues with Stef's treatment. Your strength is unbelievable with everything you are enduring.   Again my thoughts are with you and your whole family!

2008-04-23 12:44 PM
in reply to: #1353141

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
D001 - 2008-04-21 5:43 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-21 8:34 PM do I want to ask how you did this? dang...the number one thing I tell all beginner racers is whatever you do.....do not pass up yourself! and it sounds like you were trying to do this! glad you are ok!! did you have it x-rayed? is this the so called sausage finger??? girl you take care and I will be counting the days for you! and by no means - do not werk too hard!!!!

I was getting onto the stationary bike. Since it IS stationary, it was NOT moving. But somehow, I slipped anyway.... and went crashing into the handlebars. Fortunately, I caught myself with my hand --- just before my face crashed into the handlebars. Unfortunately, I slammed my hand against the bars.... Put it this way -> The dog learned some new curse words. Yes, this is the sausage finger.... The swelling has gone down now, but the finger is, um... crooked. And it doesn't bend right.... Which is why I'm thinking (now) that I probably broke it. So now, I didn't have it x-rayed. And I figure that going now for an x-ray.... well, what will they do? Rebreak it and set it??? Owww! I keep hoping that if I ignore it long enough, it will get better. It does work that way, doesn't it? LOL

yup...do not want to go have it reset...they are not nice! I broke my thumb once when I dove off of the back of a horse who was heading straight for a tree limb low enough for him...but would have knocked me off....durn smart horse! I broke my thumb and went to an orthopedic surgeon who set it wrong.....I have no knuckle...but when I went back after the cast was removed and told him it was not right....he said...oh darn...I can rebreak and recast it! WHAT DE????? no frickin way! so I still have the no knuckle thumb and it is on my writing hand.....but I have survived it! good luck with yours!!

2008-04-23 12:45 PM
in reply to: #1353144

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

D001 - 2008-04-21 5:44 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-21 8:37 PM Thanks Dee...I will let the DH take the pics...anything for you dear...do not want to have you get mad at me and whip out that prod! durn that looks rather deadly....please don't taser me dude!
I just took out the cattle prod and waved it at my current Challenge team. We're in 8th place.... Out of eight teams. Bleh!

what? I think our team is right in front of yours! I have been looking for flower pics....do you need some?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  

of 73