BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JustMike's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-03-09 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2716117

User image

Bloomington
Subject: RE: JustMike's Group - FULL
imbr0gli0 - 2010-03-09 9:39 AM Hopefully you are feeling better. I always hate when getting sick or hurt takes you out of your training routine. How are you feeling now? How is everyone else's training going? Any recent breakthroughs or roadblocks for anyone? I recently set a new 5K PR. Ran the race in 25:47 which isn't the fastest (10th out of 19 in AG), but I am improving. I have come to the conclusion that I am slow! I can do the distances I need, I just have to take it easy. I have been sticking to the training plan though, and I am seeing improvements. I have managed to complete most of my workouts. I think I have only missed about 1 or 2 since I have started.

Congrats on the PR!  I had a 5k PR this weekend too, and I was really jazzed about it.  After I saw that even though I ran the fastest 5k of my life, I was still only 8th in my AG.  I had to remind myself that I am still a better version of myself, and that is why I do this.  That's a tough lesson though. 

The tooth is painful right now, I just went to the dentist today to have a temp crown put on.  It will make tonight's bike workout a little tougher for sure, but I'll still be training. 

2010-03-09 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2657825

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
My training is going well. I just got back from a 200yd swim workout.  Still can't swim a complete 50yds without stopping, but I feel like I'm more aware of my form, and I'm getting better at it.

As for positive things, I had a practice test for the military this past weekend and I lowered my 1.5 mile run time by 2 minutes over last month.  And that was after running 2 miles the night before.

I am well on my way to being ready for a 5K on April 24th, my Official fitness test in May and My first tri in June.
2010-03-09 4:06 PM

Mobile, AL
Nice work Tim! Sounds like you are working your way there. Are you following any type of training plan? For me, the running comes and just takes alot of time to build up.

My only advice is to learn to pace yourself. When I first started trying to lose weight and get in shape, I couldn't run more than a quarter of a mile. I soon realized though that if I slow down, I can run much further. I know that may sound like common sense, but from all my research, long, slow runs are the key to building endurance. After you build the endurance, then you build speed. My first six months of running really was more of a fast walk with a running type motion. I was on a treadmill for most of it and ran at 4 mph for months before moving up.

I am still not a "fast" runner, but I have made huge improvements. I am not a natural endurance athlete. I am short with a heavy frame, short limbs and long torso. I am a true endomorph! My first 5K took me almost 30 minutes. After about 4 more races and 5 months (2 of which I didn't run) I have shaved over 4 minutes off my time. I can now place in the middle of my age group. I am still not "fast", but I see progress and that is what helps drive me.

As far as the swimming goes, I agree with most everyone else. Swimming just kind of clicks. You will be stuck at short distances for a while, and then one day, you will magically be able to go further. It really happens. Part of it is realizing you can do it, and part of it is learning a little technique.

If you don't have a training plan, I would suggest it. It will help push you to do more each day. And just remember, take it slow and steady. Right now you are building a base of fitness and technique! Good luck and keep on pushing.
2010-03-09 8:51 PM
in reply to: #2716117

User image

imbr0gli0 - 2010-03-09 5:39 AM Hopefully you are feeling better. I always hate when getting sick or hurt takes you out of your training routine. How are you feeling now? How is everyone else's training going? Any recent breakthroughs or roadblocks for anyone? I recently set a new 5K PR. Ran the race in 25:47 which isn't the fastest (10th out of 19 in AG), but I am improving. I have come to the conclusion that I am slow! I can do the distances I need, I just have to take it easy. I have been sticking to the training plan though, and I am seeing improvements. I have managed to complete most of my workouts. I think I have only missed about 1 or 2 since I have started.

Hey...it's a PR...can't be upset with that.  And sub 26 isn't exactly slow IMO. 

Congrats
2010-03-09 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2717155

User image

jayhawkrichie - 2010-03-09 11:44 AM My training is going well. I just got back from a 200yd swim workout.  Still can't swim a complete 50yds without stopping, but I feel like I'm more aware of my form, and I'm getting better at it.

As for positive things, I had a practice test for the military this past weekend and I lowered my 1.5 mile run time by 2 minutes over last month.  And that was after running 2 miles the night before.

I am well on my way to being ready for a 5K on April 24th, my Official fitness test in May and My first tri in June.

Good job on improving your run.  2 minutes off a 1.5 mile run is HUGE!

As for the swimming, just stick with it.  Have you sought out coaching or a masters class?  I could have never gotten to where I am without masters class.  Swimming is just so much technique and form.  Often times the difference in someone being able to swim 1000 yards is they have good form...not good endurance.
2010-03-09 9:09 PM

User image

As for my training...it's going well.  My first tri (sprint) is on the 21st...so I'm pretty stoked.  My training volume has been really high lately, so I'm starting to cut back just a smidge.

I'm gaining confidence in all three disciplines.  I can't wait to try and put it all together on race day.

2010-03-10 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2717217

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
imbr0gli0 - 2010-03-09 4:06 PM Nice work Tim! Sounds like you are working your way there. Are you following any type of training plan?

I am in week 5 of the couch to 5k plan for the running, and Michael Pate's 22 week to Sprint Plan from BT, but I have modified it to use the couch to 5K.

2010-03-10 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2717655

User image

Veteran
Destin, Florida
tri808 - 2010-03-09 9:06 PM

As for the swimming, just stick with it.  Have you sought out coaching or a masters class?  I could have never gotten to where I am without masters class.  Swimming is just so much technique and form.  Often times the difference in someone being able to swim 1000 yards is they have good form...not good endurance.

I haven't tried to find a coach or class.  I am trying to follow swimming drills that I have found online. I noticed at the pool yesterday how high in the water some of the other swimmers were when they were swimming.  I don't sit high in the water.  I'm trying to concentrate on looking at the bottom of the pool instead of ahead and also rotating my body instead of lifting my head to breath. 
2010-03-10 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2719701

User image

jayhawkrichie - 2010-03-10 2:23 PM
tri808 - 2010-03-09 9:06 PM

I haven't tried to find a coach or class.  I am trying to follow swimming drills that I have found online. I noticed at the pool yesterday how high in the water some of the other swimmers were when they were swimming.  I don't sit high in the water.  I'm trying to concentrate on looking at the bottom of the pool instead of ahead and also rotating my body instead of lifting my head to breath. 

I could be wrong, but the idea is to try and keep your upper body below the surface and your legs closer to the surface to keep you more streamlined.  If you try to keep your upper body high, your legs will naturally sink, and create tons of drag.

Looking straight down is what you should be doing to help this.
2010-03-11 1:17 PM

User image

Regular
cabot, Arkansas
I just got done swimming and I was paying close attention to my body position vs. how full my breaths were.  I guess since I normally take quick breaths to keep balance im alot less bouyant.  I slowed things down today and was almost stalling on my side, taking huge breaths.  Normally this would throw off my balance but the added bouyancy made me feel like i was wearing a life jacket almost.  I still havent decided which way is better........  None of the good swimmers at my local pool are friendly enough to give any advice!  I have no clue what im doing...... 
2010-03-11 2:44 PM

Mobile, AL
I used the Total Immersion videos to help me out. I personally think they are a great tool. They teach you to streamline and swim more effortlessly than fighting the water. I would definitely recommend them!

2010-03-11 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2721312

User image

Regular
cabot, Arkansas
imbr0gli0 - 2010-03-11 2:44 PM I used the Total Immersion videos to help me out. I personally think they are a great tool. They teach you to streamline and swim more effortlessly than fighting the water. I would definitely recommend them!

Hey thanks!!  Ill check them out.
I used to watch alot of wakeboarding "how to" videos before Id try something new.  Things ALWAYS look easier on video than in actuality!  Knowing how something should be done and doing it are very different!!  Just thinking about those days hurts!! 
2010-03-12 6:01 PM
in reply to: #2721312

User image

Bloomington
imbr0gli0 - 2010-03-11 2:44 PM I used the Total Immersion videos to help me out. I personally think they are a great tool. They teach you to streamline and swim more effortlessly than fighting the water. I would definitely recommend them!

I agree, I think the TI videos and book are really valuable.  I sorta had to read them twice though.  Once when I was starting out and then again once I knew what I was doing a bit.  I had to log some hours in the pool to get the experience to understand the book I think?
2010-03-15 1:48 PM

User image

Regular
cabot, Arkansas
I just swam a 9:15 500!!   According to the results for the tri sprint I did last year, that would move me from placing 140 in the swim to 35th or better!!!  Im soo freaking pumped. 

Edited by onevette80 2010-03-15 1:48 PM
2010-03-15 2:01 PM

Mobile, AL
Great work!!! Those are the things that keep you going!
2010-03-15 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2727268

User image

Bloomington
onevette80 - 2010-03-15 1:48 PM I just swam a 9:15 500!!   According to the results for the tri sprint I did last year, that would move me from placing 140 in the swim to 35th or better!!!  Im soo freaking pumped. 

Nice work! You should celebrate by rewarding yourself with some new swim gear!

2010-03-15 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2727488

User image

Regular
cabot, Arkansas
JustMike - 2010-03-15 3:12 PM
onevette80 - 2010-03-15 1:48 PM I just swam a 9:15 500!!   According to the results for the tri sprint I did last year, that would move me from placing 140 in the swim to 35th or better!!!  Im soo freaking pumped. 

Nice work! You should celebrate by rewarding yourself with some new swim gear!

Yeah?  Sounds good to me!!  Any suggestions?
2010-03-16 10:56 AM

Mobile, AL
Check out the Total Immersion site if you are interested in some of their training material. I personally don't get into much of the swimming extras like paddles, buoys and fins. I have seen a couple lap counters that seem like they could be helpful. Especially if you tend to swim long continuous swims.

On another note, yesterday I was trying to do a lactate threshold test on the bike. I believe that my legs on the bike are lagging way behind my heart. Basically, I never felt like my heart or breathing was limiting me, but my legs just felt like they weren't able to push hard enough. According to that test, my LT was at about 150. But for running, it is around 168. I read somewhere that the difference in the two should be closer to 8-12 bpm. Any ideas?

Edited by imbr0gli0 2010-03-16 12:05 PM
2010-03-16 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2728958

User image

Regular
cabot, Arkansas
imbr0gli0 - 2010-03-16 10:56 AM Check out the Total Immersion site if you are interested in some of their training material. I personally don't get into much of the swimming extras like paddles, buoys and fins. I have seen a couple lap counters that seem like they could be helpful. Especially if you tend to swim long continuous swims. On another note, yesterday I was trying to do a lactate threshold test on the bike. I believe that my legs on the bike are lagging way behind my heart. Basically, I never felt like my heart or breathing was limiting me, but my legs just felt like they weren't able to push hard enough. According to that test, my LT was at about 150. But for running, it is around 168. I red somewhere that the difference in the two should be closer to 8-12 bpm. Any ideas?

My numbers are almost identical!!  My bro, who was up until recently a catIII cyclist, says Its bc "Youve got great muscle twitch, you just dont have any muscle."  I think his answer was meant to be more of a kick in the balls than a scientific explanation.  Im also interested in this.
2010-03-16 12:08 PM

Mobile, AL
I don't think it is lack of muscle. I have always had strong legs. My squat 1 rep max was about 275 last time I checked several months back.
2010-03-22 12:12 PM

User image

I just finished my first triathlon yesterday.  It was so much fun.  Race report is in my race log.  It's long...but you can just read the "summary" parts if you get bored...=)

2010-03-22 3:11 PM

Mobile, AL
Nice work. It looks like you had a really good race overall. The bike leg seems to be the stand out for you though. Gratz!
2010-03-23 1:52 AM
in reply to: #2740998

User image

imbr0gli0 - 2010-03-22 11:11 AM Nice work. It looks like you had a really good race overall. The bike leg seems to be the stand out for you though. Gratz!

Yeah...I have the most fun on the bike...so naturally I train the hardest on the bike.  I couldn't have done it alone though...the group I ride with has some really fast and experienced guys...so I just chase them as long as I can...and each week I can see my progress build.
2010-03-23 6:58 AM
in reply to: #2741905

User image

Bloomington
Nice work, that's really great man!  It reminds me alot of my first tri as well, I'm so glad you had a good time! 

Something that may help your T2 experience is to run off the bike on every ride in your last few weeks leading up to a race.  Say, in the last 3-4 weeks or so...every time you ride, run a mile or two.  You'll get used to that feeling and adapt that way.  Some people always run off the bike, every single training ride, all season, but I don't do this because I worry about running tired and the increase in potential for injury.  It's just a balancing act between risk and reward...

Again though, great work triathlete!
2010-03-23 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2741995

User image

JustMike - 2010-03-23 2:58 AM Nice work, that's really great man!  It reminds me alot of my first tri as well, I'm so glad you had a good time! 

Something that may help your T2 experience is to run off the bike on every ride in your last few weeks leading up to a race.  Say, in the last 3-4 weeks or so...every time you ride, run a mile or two.  You'll get used to that feeling and adapt that way.  Some people always run off the bike, every single training ride, all season, but I don't do this because I worry about running tired and the increase in potential for injury.  It's just a balancing act between risk and reward...

Again though, great work triathlete!

Yeah...I think that would help...even if it's just a mile or two.  I think the reason I didn't get in more bike/run bricks was just because of my schedule.  My weekday rides were mostly in the evening, so I thought it was too dark for a run, but 1 mile around the park down the street isn't so bad.  And my weekend rides, I had to cram in before other obligations, so I would have done a run, but didn't have the time.

The one thing I love about triathalons is that there's tons of room for improvement in many different areas. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JustMike's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 6